Indian Air Force News & Discussion - 23 March 2021

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Air Force News & Discussion - 23 March 2021

Post by Manish_P »

^ Good points.

Sachin ji - in other thread you have put forth the point of how, over the past decades, the mentality of the top brass has regressed to be COIN centric and not total war. In the same vein isn't there a similar risk to the AF if they are too focused on being a transport/troop movement force rather than a penetrating, offensive one.

The AF can also ask and spend budget on more offensive platforms and let the generals pressure the GoI/MoD for transport platforms
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

BenG wrote: Sorry Sachin. Just because you are blind to a problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The Indian airforce has HAL Rudra, HAL Light Combat Helicopter, Mi-35 Hind and Apache AH-64E dedicated for close air support. Yet the Indian Army with 97 LCH requirement overshadows the IAF's 65 by a huge margin which means the resources Indian air force plans to allocate to close air support is far less than what army is planning to do.
IAF prioritizes MRFA and even discussed about strategic bombers. But in Kargil their main failure was not being able to bomb entrenched enemy positions safely using Mi-35. Yet they have ordered far less LCH than army. When IAF was out-ranged by PAF F-16 after balkot strike, IAF played up the issue and single-mindedly pursued meteor and Rafale. The air chief then said if Rafale were there the outcome would have been different. S-400 was bought to match chinese air defense despite it not being an offensive platform and creating a US-India CAATSA circus. But they did not place LCH LSP orders in whole of 2019 despite IOC being granted in January. Later they flew missions on LCH in 2020 without placing orders. The air force mindset is that ground warfare is beneath its high status. On the theatre commands, a former IAF chief had once said, “We are not at the beck and call of every battalion commander who wants air support. We are a strategic force.”. If Air force preference is to be involved in strategic operations, then let army own CAS and transport assets needed for day to day operations.
I agree we have problems but my take is different to yours so we will agree to disagree. Without a doctrinal understanding of how the IAF plans to use attack heptrs but it is different to the army where these are to be part of IBGs strike corps. How the IAF uses these is best answered by Hari Nair sir.

That said there was no attack heptr that could operate in Kargil - definitely not the Mi35 and hence the MI17 was used and we saw what happened. Hence the LCH was developed. The rationale for the reluctance of the IAF to use heptrs in Kargil is well documented but when push came to shove they delivered and lost men.

I agree with the IAF Chief but do not take his words literally. He was wrong to state it the way he did but you may or may not know how requests for tactical air support are managed - acknowledging that there is room for improvement - no battalion commander can call for air support will nilly. And even if CAS was required it would be the fighter stream that would probably provide the stand-off capability that would be required in a tactical situation.

In Kargil, no aircraft in the IAF was capable of bombing the heights and the issues are well documented. And while we may talk about Muntho Dhalo, which is well documented I will put it to you that the ingenious way arty was used was the game changer. The IAF came to the party no? In the initial days, even the Army did not know what they faced so to expect A/C and men to be sent when we really were struggling to identify where the threat lay would have been foolhardy.

Is it your opinion or fact that the IAF considers CAS beyond their dignity? From what I have read low-level flying and precision strikes are the bread and butter of the training syllabus of the squadrons tasked with this.

Now when it comes to transport assets what do you think that transport assets including choppers are used for. I have never heard the Army complaining that the IAF is not providing the required support to transport men and equipment to the last mile.

You are also mixing up too many issues!!
BenG wrote:During Kargil war, Army sought govt approval for air support on 11 May 1999, it was cleared on 25 May. 15 days is too high for a cold-start like doctrine to work. If Army had operational control of chinook and Mi-17, troop movement will be swift and armored thrusts will be effective. It will give army a lot of flexibility to plan troop movements along a wide front with pakistan. One of the reasons Indian army has such a huge pool of personnel is the lack of mobility, we need jawans to man every outpost since rapid deployment is not possible now. Mules are still in high usage in army since we don't have roads in mountains that can be open all through the year. Air transport is the right answer to these challenges.
You are again mixing up too many issues.

Are you saying that if the attack heptrs and CAS platforms had been part of the IA then then could have used these without government authorisation before May 25.

Moving men and material to forward locations and sustaining them is a fine art that the army and IAF have been practising for a long time. Mules are required in certain places in certain situations no amount of Air Assets can help. I have seen this personally.
BenG wrote:I'll try to explain how ammunition dropped from air need to be designed for army's requirements and not air force's. With regard to effectiveness of weapons on terrain, Indian army has more on ground information about how weapons work in mountainous terrain. Himalayas is our primary battlefield. A thousand pound bomb that is off by 100 meter will be effective on the plains. But it will be ineffective in mountainous terrain. The variety of weapons we may need on the terrain would be more useful if the army led the design than air force.
Good god man when it comes to the transportation of men and material to a required theatre it is not the IAF dictating and when it comes to neutralising a target as part of CAS then an assessment if made of what is the best form of CAS. The IAF and the Army do not work independently of each other. The IAF in Kargil days did not have LGBs except for the Mirages and quickly learnt that bombs would not work. Pray tell what ammo the Army had that they could have used. They ultimately used arty no?

Design of what?
BenG wrote:IAF's strategic role should be to identify and hit enemy air bases, logistics and provide early warning information to army staff. IAF's transport role should be to carry chinook, Apache and LCH to the next theatre like border with china in ladakh where they can be reused to deploy personnel and ammunition to front-lines to stall any intervention from them effectively. Rather than duplicating assets due to turf wars, IAF can disengage from roles it does not prioritize. There is a space war that is bound to happen soon and IAF can turn its focus there. It can make sure Indian satellites and space based assets are protected from Chinese threats.

To conclude just because something flies does not mean it is meant for air force and rotarcraft are an essential means to fight for army compared to air force.
The turf war as you have stated is related to Attack heptrs only. The need for organic air assets for IA was recognised and hence Army Aviation was established.

Can the integration be better definitely. But your articiulation of the problem is short of the details that are required to do a detailed analysis of this "problem".

Regards,

ks_sachin
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Manish_P wrote:^ Good points.

Sachin ji - in other thread you have put forth the point of how, over the past decades, the mentality of the top brass has regressed to be COIN centric and not total war. In the same vein isn't there a similar risk to the AF if they are too focused on being a transport/troop movement force rather than a penetrating, offensive one.

The AF can also ask and spend budget on more offensive platforms and let the generals pressure the GoI/MoD for transport platforms
I would not say it regressed. It is borne of the situation the army has found itself in - against its will which is a failure of the political establishment. For a generation of officers commissioned in the 1980's COIN was the fire that had to be fought but that does not mean that they willingly sought to neglect other aspects of army operations. However as an institution because it was so heavily into this, things suffered / got put on back burner. You have to realise their impact kashmir in its heyday had on officers and men - and on the organic training that is bread and butter to the army.

What is total war?

The IAF has never neglected its transport duties as far as I can tell. The heptr transport arm has been doing yeoman service in support of the army - the Saichen Pioneers (114 HU) being a case in point.

Where assets are allocated needs some detailed analysis and no doubt there will be turf wars but I put it to you that our understanding is pretty rudimentary to pontificate - the Apache's being an exception.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

ks_sachin wrote: I would not say it regressed. It is borne of the situation the army has found itself in - against its will which is a failure of the political establishment...
This is exactly what I understood and hence agree with you.

And as you say that generation of officers learnt (were trained) and mentally evolved accordingly.

But the IAF was not employed. And hence it's own institutional thinking remained as it was.

Now the Paki problem is not going to go away. The COIN will again be inflamed, sooner or later.

But A kargil redux will also happen again.

Don't you think it is better for the army to have more CAS and transport assets of their own, right at the start. Rather than waiting for the conflict to enlarge and the politicians finally give the IAF the go ahead.

Yes I think that localized integrated theatre commands are probably the long term solution

ADDED - saw the detailed earlier post later (browsing on mobile is not easy for me). Appreciate the insights. My mango man thinking is only that the pakis can only do localized actions and it will help us have AA hit them (rotary, UCAVs) with IAF providing top cover. Also gives room to the GoI to keep the pressure away from khan and poodles.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

BenG wrote:Yeah! Apache buy by Indian army essentially became an ego problem for its generals. We don't have clearly defined roles for our armed forces which squanders away resources on duplication. In my opinion, Helicopter should all be handed by Indian army since it serves the ground forces the most. All roles such as ground support from air, anti-tank operations, transporting supplies and troops being done by helicopters are essentially primary support done for troops holding the front. IAF's responsibilities should be only fixed wing aircraft strategic transport over longer distances with fixed wing aircraft, aerial threats coming from enemy aircraft and deep strike into enemy infrastructure to cripple enemy logistics/combat capability.
Helicopters are also used by IAF for various offensive roles including anti-UAV and SEAD.
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

if IA wants to own apaches, let it by all means. IAF wants it - they should too but what needs some kind of moderation is logistics chain.

Ego clashes are human nature - is tolerable in large polities like India - as long as logistics and LC cost are optimised. 6 Apaches dont make sense in terms of maintenance, LRUs at a depot level inventory. Same with IAF - we have 4 a/c in low numbers- Mk1, M29, M2000 and Rafales. Only tejas will achieve mass in future.

IA/IAF can play ego games, import pasand behavior but atleast logistical rationality shud b thr. If u will import 10-20 pieces of anything (unless AWACS) then dont import. Import if u can field a critical mass with them, or else go Desi ( Which will always be the case if critical mass is brought into play)

I dread this will be repeated with MQ9 drones - 10 each for each force?!

Chinooks, Apaches, C17 all low numbers.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Manish_P R u saying that the Army will not need for MoD and GoI clearance before using aircraft for CAS.

Remember the rules of engagement are set by the Govt of the day. The Indian Army may fave the F22 but it cannot use them without permission of the GoI unless it use fits in with rules laid out.

Hell do you know what proportionate response in those bloody press reales of the past meant?

The IA or IAF has no mandate to do anything that could be seen as escalatory.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

ks_sachin wrote:Manish_P R u saying that the Army will not need for MoD and GoI clearance before using aircraft for CAS...
No. Certainly not. Well aware that RoE, Escalation matrix is all set by the political overlords.

With more capable offensive air assets under own command, the IA would have more nimbleness and flexibility in the way they want to prosecute operations. Whether that's a good or bad thing is procrastination...
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

But where has there been a lack of nimbleness because of current structure?
And what do you mean by more effective air assets?
Facts and evidence please.

Point I am making is that IAF also has use of attack heptrs for certain taskings.

Yeah sure give the majority of these tro the IA but dont say the IAF does not need these.

And dont say the IAF dies not support the IA. The transport guys are not jumping through hoops to land at ALGs like DBO for IAF req but predominantly for IA requirements.
BenG
BRFite -Trainee

Post by BenG »

Sachin, We are not saying govt of the day does not having control over decisions. We are saying its best to rationalize and allocate assets under command of people who need it the most. During 26/11 attacks, it took NSG 10 hours to reach location of siege due to unavailability of means for rapid transport. Did IAF airlift them? No. Because it is a home ministry issue, there was no plan to use IAF assets. In the same manner, if we don't make our army air mobile in the theatre the fight is supposed to happen, they will squander any advantage that is due during the early stage of any conflict. We can do a form of maneuver warfare with infantry. But we need the framework to be changed to implement it. Our current army mass is designed for attrition warfare which is not good for capital allocation.
Ramesh
BRFite

Post by Ramesh »

Just adding my two cents to the issue:
Close Air Support in the Hiamlayas: The issue of inability to provide CAS in the Himalayas is well documented. Recall the proportion of our disputed borders which happen to be Himalayas. If this does not indicate doctrinal blindspot, what else could it be.
Transport Ops: Please do not confuse peace time transport ops with war time needs. We know the transport assets available and then when IAF's own needs during initial stages of ops are taken into account, for moving men and material to forward and satellite airfields, what will be left for meeting army's need? And mind you, the requirement will be concurrent in the initial stages of war.
Other issues related to CAS:
During the second world war, Panzer commanders could speak to fighters flying overhead. Have we achieved it today?
Vietnam War: Battalion Commanders had aircraft at beck and call. We proudly proclaim that airforce cannot be at beck and call to battalion commanders.
Shows the importance given to CAS by IAF.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

In my original post my intention was not to say that the IA should not have attack helicopters. In fact my personal opinion is that all attack helicopters must be with the IA, not the IAF. But that doesn't excuse the fact that the IA is wasting a billion dollars on a turf war. Like one child wanting the same expensive toy that his sibling got and the parent happily giving it to him when it would be better to spend that money on buying him some better clothes and food first. That was my only point just to clarify.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Ramesh wrote:Just adding my two cents to the issue:
Close Air Support in the Hiamlayas: The issue of inability to provide CAS in the Himalayas is well documented. Recall the proportion of our disputed borders which happen to be Himalayas. If this does not indicate doctrinal blindspot, what else could it be.
Transport Ops: Please do not confuse peace time transport ops with war time needs. We know the transport assets available and then when IAF's own needs during initial stages of ops are taken into account, for moving men and material to forward and satellite airfields, what will be left for meeting army's need? And mind you, the requirement will be concurrent in the initial stages of war.
Other issues related to CAS:
During the second world war, Panzer commanders could speak to fighters flying overhead. Have we achieved it today?
Vietnam War: Battalion Commanders had aircraft at beck and call. We proudly proclaim that airforce cannot be at beck and call to battalion commanders.
Shows the importance given to CAS by IAF.
It is really 2 cents. Take some time to learn how the forces operate please.
More specifically CAS in high altitudes. The inability is not for want of intent but because it is insanely difficult to use jets for CAS in that terrain. Till the LCH came along there was no platform for that.
But then why accuse the IAF of doctrinal blindspots when the Army could also thought of CAS requirements!!!

Which forward bases are you referring to that the IAF will need to move men and material to. Please name a few. The
The transport and heptr fleet that supplies troops will continue to do so even after hostilities start. Do you know how much planning goes into these things. Please read up about OP Pawan or Op Cactus.

This is not the second world war and despite being able to speak to all their fighternpilots what happened - gGermany lost the war. What happened in Vietnam - the Americans lost.

We have to plan / equip and operationalise as per our req period. Do you know the frontage we have against our adversaries? Pray tell how the IAF has a sq for every bn AOR. A foolhardy approach if there was one.

We have issues definitely but I am yet to see a cogent fact and knowledge based argument.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

nachiket wrote:In my original post my intention was not to say that the IA should not have attack helicopters. In fact my personal opinion is that all attack helicopters must be with the IA, not the IAF. But that doesn't excuse the fact that the IA is wasting a billion dollars on a turf war. Like one child wanting the same expensive toy that his sibling got and the parent happily giving it to him when it would be better to spend that money on buying him some better clothes and food first. That was my only point just to clarify.
Nachiket Sir,

Now everyone wants the IA to have its own Air Force
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

BenG wrote:Sachin, We are not saying govt of the day does not having control over decisions. We are saying its best to rationalize and allocate assets under command of people who need it the most. During 26/11 attacks, it took NSG 10 hours to reach location of siege due to unavailability of means for rapid transport. Did IAF airlift them? No. Because it is a home ministry issue, there was no plan to use IAF assets. In the same manner, if we don't make our army air mobile in the theatre the fight is supposed to happen, they will squander any advantage that is due during the early stage of any conflict. We can do a form of maneuver warfare with infantry. But we need the framework to be changed to implement it. Our current army mass is designed for attrition warfare which is not good for capital allocation.
The NSG was a fup but to lay that at the feet of the IAF is a bit of a stretch. If the entire security and planning cannot make our permier counter terrorism outfit try independent then …..
Air ops are very difficult to do in theater and well nogh impossible unless part of some localised / tactical op using special forces. So the question is what do you describe as in theater? Large scale ops like Cactus would be staged from rear areas.

But please give examples.
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

https://www.pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage ... ID=1865989

Weapon Systems branch in Indian Air Force

extracts
Government has approved the creation of a new branch, called the Weapon Systems (WS) branch. The creation of WS branch would entail unification of all weapon system operators under one entity dedicated to the operational employment of all ground-based and specialist airborne weapon systems.

The branch would encompass operators in four specialised streams of Surface-to-Surface missiles, Surface-to-Air missiles, Remotely Piloted Aircraft and Weapon System Operators in twin/multi-crew aircraft.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

Watch "Transformer Formation by Sukhoi30, Tejas & Rafael at Air Force Day celebrations| 08 Oct, 2022"

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/DefenceDecode/statu ... 7ci40xgE-w ---> India is expecting shipments for the 3rd operational squadron of ADS S-400 to start arriving from Russia next month. India has till now received two squadrons of the S-400 from Russia.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Click on the link below to read the article....

https://twitter.com/_devildog_rv_/statu ... 7ci40xgE-w ---> Boys, if you haven't read it already, here is the full article on "Hawk AJT: The Story Unknown and future behold". A look at its hectic 19 year procurement process, contemporary capabilities and a promising future.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

ramana wrote: IAF senior officers are responsible for this. No amount of articles will change their minds.
- And not the geniuses who made LCA into a science project rather than aim to deliver a fighter in a timely manner?
- Secondly, what's this government doing? Neither ordering more Rafales, not increasing the pace or quantity of induction? How long has the Modi government been in power now?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Click on link below....

https://twitter.com/livefist/status/158 ... kYsuqgCv4A ---> Video promo of the IAF’s new upcoming base in Deesa, Gujarat. (Not sure why they’ve used F-16 graphic wipes, but don’t think @LockheedMartin will be complaining).
Kersi
BRFite

Post by Kersi »

Rakesh wrote:Click on link below....

https://twitter.com/livefist/status/158 ... kYsuqgCv4A ---> Video promo of the IAF’s new upcoming base in Deesa, Gujarat. (Not sure why they’ve used F-16 graphic wipes, but don’t think @LockheedMartin will be complaining).
Will IAF modify n use the existing (rather primitive) facilities or is it a green field project at another site ?
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

The graphic wipes are too fast for the average person to make out if they are F16, Mirage 2000 etc

The Nuclear blast at 1:20 mark for showing the distance from the border should bring out face palms :roll:
prashantsharma
BRFite

Post by prashantsharma »

Kersi wrote:

Will IAF modify n use the existing (rather primitive) facilities or is it a green field project at another site ?
It is a greenfield site, easily identifiable in sat imagery
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Rohit, The science project was completed with the LCA TD birds.
After that the requirements kept changing.
Yes converting the first flight model to a combat plane ends up with more weight and requirements.
The F-16 was vastly different than the first flight models that flew.

Even Mk1 if late Manohar Parriakr didn't decide would not be inducted.
Whether we like it or not IAF wasn't interested in an Indian-made plane.

About Rafale the second tranche was not wanted till the first delivery was complete and the squadron tactics all worked out.

ACM Raha should get credit for the first tranche.
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

And just like that 2 new airforce bases approved in the span of a couple of months. One at Deesa about a 130 Kms from the IB with Pakistan, which will complicate the thing for the pakis, as they will to cater for this new development near their soft under belly of Sindh.
The second about half the distance between Leh and the LAC in eastern Ladakh. This will again make the life more difficult for the dragon. Though one would have to see, if the base in Ladakh can be targeted by MBRL systems from across the LAC. If it is shielded by mountains, then it will make the life a little harder for the PLA-AF.

Another base in Uttarakhand or Himachal on somewhere east of Najibabad in UP or near Pillibhit would be great.

Now, where are those additional couple of squadrons of Tejas MK1A, which would be best suited to be deployed from the new air bases. Alas, they have not been ordered!!
Kersi
BRFite

Post by Kersi »

prashantsharma wrote:
Kersi wrote:
It is a greenfield site, easily identifiable in sat imagery
Where ?
Larry Walker
BRFite

Post by Larry Walker »

Deesa base will be trouble for PAF. Fighters taking off low on NW vector and then turning north or south will complicate defending their main cities.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

The crimes of the Congress/Italian family mafia: Why it took so long to take steps in plugging this huge gap (absence of any operational air base) from Bhuj in Gujarat to Phalodi in Rajasthan and that too with our most rabid neighbor.

While the land was acquired in 1983, the Centre gave a go-ahead to construct a full-fledged air base only in the year 2020. The Vajpayee government had given in-principal approval to the Indian Air Force in 2000. However, under the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government put the development plan was stalled.

The project was revived by PM Modi. The massive floods in Banaskantha in 2017 threw the spotlight on the airbase once again.

Amid the calamity, the Centre reached out to the IAF to provide relief to affected people. But the Air Force found relief operations to be difficult because of poor weather. Having no airfield nearby proved to be a major deterrent. Then Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman played a crucial role in getting approval for the airbase along with the funds, reports Hindustan Times.

At the Defence Expo 2022, the PM said, “When I was the chief minister, I used to constantly make efforts to build it (the Deesa airbase). I explained the importance of this airfield to the then-government (UPA). But nothing happened for 14 years.”

“They made such question marks on the files that even after I came there (in government), it took time to install the right things, the right way,” he added.

Phase 1 of the project will see the construction of the main runway, the taxi tracks, and the fighter squadron dispersal area. Phase 2 will take care of the technical infrastructure and accommodation, according to a report by India Today.
bharathp
BRFite

Post by bharathp »

gurus,
a question:
is it possible to have a "floating airbase" (a-la aircraft carrier) but for ground based operations? something like a knocned down kit of -ready to build airbase
the STBF Goa facility type where we
1) could install an ATC (maybe truck mounted etc)
2) a short run way (which could be like a modular build that can be knowcked down and setup)
3) associated landing /run way requirements

some railway stations or other govt buildings near by could be the hangars or could have a few hangars that could be in Knocked down kits -ready to be set up on demand?

this would make life a bit more complicated for enemies as an airbase could quickly come up anywhere?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Kersi wrote:
prashantsharma wrote: It is a greenfield site, easily identifiable in sat imagery
Where ?
Click link for sat imagery ---> https://www.google.com/maps/place/Deesa ... 72.2011322
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

bharathp wrote:gurus,
a question:
is it possible to have a "floating airbase" (a-la aircraft carrier) but for ground based operations? something like a knocned down kit of -ready to build airbase
Snip....
The new national highway system is getting dedicated aircraft landing strips as a part of the project itself. The rest of the infrastructure needed can be easily be moved during operational phase.
bharathp
BRFite

Post by bharathp »

@pratyush
the road corridor would have designated spots for aircraft operations - which would mean they are specific/immovable locations (hence a target for missiles/shells)
but a truly mobile floating airbase would be a nightmare to plan for?
prashantsharma
BRFite

Post by prashantsharma »

Rakesh wrote:
Kersi wrote: Where ?
Click link for sat imagery ---> https://www.google.com/maps/place/Deesa ... 72.2011322
This is the existing civil airstrip. The future airbase is at another location...
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought Deesa was a dual use base, like Lohegaon.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

From Twitter, IAF is planning to swap its Prithvi missiles with Pralay.

Good news.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Great news ramana-ji. Prithvi is long in the tooth and due for replacement.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Would have liked the tooth to have got a chance to bite jihadistan before being extracted but theek hai.

(At least one brahmos got a chance to make an incision, accidental or otherwise..)
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

So we will have another airbase, probably a big one. But where are the aircraft to go with it?
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

What came first the base or the aircraft? A classical chicken and egg dilemma posed by Mr Yensoy.