Indian Navy News & Discussion - 12 April 2021

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Navy News & Discussion - 12 April 2021

Post by Rakesh »

Ankit Desai wrote:IN should go with three more Scorpenes until P-75I finalize.

My 2 cent and not an emotional outburst.

-Ankit
P-75I will not finalize seeing how it has become a one vendor situation. So the Navy will have to rework their RFI for Project 75I, so more vendors can participate. And that will take a long time i.e.. a new RFI.

The better option is to go for additional Scorpenes and retrofit all of them with DRDO AIP during their midlife refits.

Time for IN to focus on Project 75 Alpha i.e. the six-build SSN program.
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

India’s submarine strength
The government has also decided that of the 12 submarines to be built indigenously after the P75 and P75i projects, six would be SSNs instead of SSK. Singh called this decision a “very, very positive development”, but cautioned about “a question mark” over how quickly the project moves. Even if all things move smoothly, Singh said the first SSN won’t enter service until 2035 or 2040.
India is taking two SSNs on lease from Russia, but the first of them is expected to be delivered only by 2025.
-Ankit
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

Rakesh wrote:...
The better option is to go for additional Scorpenes and retrofit all of them with DRDO AIP during their midlife refits.

IIRC DRDO API, there is no clarity how & when they would test it. Meaning, they have to open Sub like in half and install AIP which makes sub out of service for couple of years ! More than retrofit ? The situation IN's sub arm is in, IN can not afford even one sub to go out of action.

-Ankit
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

That is why I said that it should be installed at its midlife refit, when the boat will be out of commission for a good length of time. At her midlife refit, these boats will be cut open anyway. The first of the Kalvari Class was commissioned only in 2017, so there is a long time (a decade or more) before she is due for her midlife refit. DRDO has a good lead time to test and prove the system.
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

Rakesh wrote:That is why I said that it should be installed at its midlife refit, when the boat will be out of commission for a good length of time. At her midlife refit, these boats will be cut open anyway. The first of the Kalvari Class was commissioned only in 2017, so there is a long time (more than a decade or more) before she is due for her midlife refit. DRDO has a good lead time to test and prove the system.
Got it. I thought midlife refit/retrofit would be quicker.

-Ankit
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Rakesh wrote: P-75I will not finalize seeing how it has become a one vendor situation. So the Navy will have to rework their RFI for Project 75I, so more vendors can participate. And that will take a long time i.e.. a new RFI.

P-75I is like the IN version of the MRFA. Where it'd make more sense to order additional Scorpenes and in parallel start our homegrown SSK & SSN.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/rajatpTOI/status/14 ... 22274?s=20 ---> Government appoints Western Naval Command Chief, Vice Admiral R. Hari Kumar as the next Navy chief with effect from afternoon of Nov 30. The present chief Admiral Karambir Singh retires on Nov 30.

https://twitter.com/rajatpTOI/status/14 ... 74601?s=20 ---> Commissioned in the executive branch of the Navy in January 1983, Vice Admiral Kumar has served in a variety of command, staff and instructional appointments. Among other warships, he has commanded aircraft carrier INS Viraat and guided-missile destroyer INS Ranvir.

https://twitter.com/rajatpTOI/status/14 ... 06662?s=20 ---> Vice Admiral Kumar had taken over the reins of the Mumbai-based WNC, called the sword-arm of the Navy, in February this year. Southern Naval Command chief Vice Admiral Anil Chawla retires on the same day as Admiral Karambir Singh.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I see that its all surface warfare fleet commands.

Good service record
SNaik
BRFite

Post by SNaik »

Couple more pictures of Tushil launch
https://www.aoosk.ru/press-center/news/ ... n-na-vodu/
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

someone please get in touch with Navy and let them know that their new ship has a nonsense name, there's no such word in sanskrit.
the meaning given in media reports 'protector shield' is wrong and based on on 2 bit online baby naming sites that push arabic/persian names as sanskrit.
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

Rahul M wrote:someone please get in touch with Navy and let them know that their new ship has a nonsense name, there's no such word in sanskrit.
the meaning given in media reports 'protector shield' is wrong and based on on 2 bit online baby naming sites that push arabic/persian names as sanskrit.
I was mulling the same thing for many days now.

The mania to name all ships of the class starting with the letter “T” is leading to obscure names that no one uses:

Talwar / Trishul…no issues; we understand

Tushil / Tamala / Triput…starting to get into the realm of uncommon and (perhaps?) made up words
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

https://t.co/32o15vIyLZ

Indian Navy re-orienters Naval deployments
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

ramana wrote:https://t.co/32o15vIyLZ

Indian Navy re-orienters Naval deployments
Mission Based Deployments must consume a lot of machine and man hours. Navy could do with a much more expanded fleet of OPVs. I have also conceptualized a OPV+ concept, a "Prescence cum Surveillance" ship that can be useful in these times to boost fleet size;

https://www.strategicfront.org/forums/t ... ions.4267/
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

titash wrote:
Rahul M wrote:someone please get in touch with Navy and let them know that their new ship has a nonsense name, there's no such word in sanskrit.
I was mulling the same thing for many days now.

The mania to name all ships of the class starting with the letter “T” is leading to obscure names that no one uses:

Talwar / Trishul…no issues; we understand

Tushil / Tamala / Triput…starting to get into the realm of uncommon and (perhaps?) made up words
Tuktuk and Tony? Govinda at his best... :D
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

Looks like the Pak Navy is also getting in on the T-action: PNS Tughril :-)
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

We can name her Taarak - meaning star/sun in Sanskrit.

Like in the name of NT Rama Rao, famous late telugu actor and politician. His full name was Nandamuri Taaraka Rama Rao.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Navy News & Discussion - 12 April 20

Post by Vayutuvan »

Cyrano wrote:We can name her Taarak - meaning star/sun in Sanskrit.

Like in the name of NT Rama Rao, famous late telugu actor and politician. His full name was Nandamuri Taaraka Rama Rao.

Why not taaraa?

Why the fascination with NTR? Why not go with the original samskrutam word, hain saar?
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

IA's T series Obsession caught up with IN. A simple search gives a lot of other names that could be used.
https://swordscholar.com/the-deadliest- ... ent-india/
https://www.storypick.com/deadly-indian-weapons/
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

Vayutuvan wrote:

Why not taaraa?

Why the fascination with NTR? Why not go with the original samskrutam word, hain saar?

Actually, Taaraka might just be an apt name for a ship... apart from star/starry, it can also mean helmsman, boat, raft, or saviour.

Of course, it also refers to the name of the asura defeated by Kartikeya, so that might be a notch against that name.

The same samskrut root also gives Taarini -- 'the one who crosses (oceans)' / saviour (feminine), which is another name for durga

तूष्णीम् (TuushNeem) - 'Silent' - would be a great name for a sub.

Anyway, enough etymological OT from me
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

k prasad wrote:
Vayutuvan wrote:
Why not taaraa?

Actually, Taaraka might just be an apt name for a ship... apart from star/starry, it can also mean helmsman, boat, raft, or saviour.

Of course, it also refers to the name of the asura defeated by Kartikeya, so that might be a notch against that name.

The same samskrut root also gives Taarini -- 'the one who crosses (oceans)' / saviour (feminine), which is another name for durga

तूष्णीम् (TuushNeem) - 'Silent' - would be a great name for a sub.

Anyway, enough etymological OT from me
Just call them by their numbers and be done with it.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

NTR was just a familiar example. Lord Shri Ram is also called Taaraka Ram meaning "shining and resplendent as the sun". Ramadasu wrote a famous Bhakti keerthana "Taaraka mantramu korina dorikenu I Dhanyudanaithi Oranna II".

Taarak(a) would be a wonderful name for such a ship.

Another choice:
Turag(a) - a swift horse
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

We should name ships in the names of rivers, cities, states, hills, etc. We have huge number of rivers big and small and tributaries etc which will be sufficient to have some 300/400 ships easily.
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

Yagnasri wrote:We should name ships in the names of rivers, cities, states, hills, etc. We have huge number of rivers big and small and tributaries etc which will be sufficient to have some 300/400 ships easily.
+100

INS Thiruananthapuram / Tezpur / Thane / Thanjavur is way more likely to resonate with the IN sailors and Indian public than INS Tushil/Tamala/Triput
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Taarak is an excellent name for a ship class.. other ships could be named Mehta, Ulta and Chashma,
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

titash wrote: +100

INS Thiruananthapuram / Tezpur / Thane / Thanjavur is way more likely to resonate with the IN sailors and Indian public than INS Tushil/Tamala/Triput
Please! Much as I love my city and have a ship named after it, I dont want to use up an entire fleet's sides, just to write that long name. Recurring nightmare filling up online forms that allow only 15 characters :D INS Ananthan, the eponymous multi-headed serpent after which the city is named, would be awesome for an AAW ship

But echo Rahul M-saar's views. If I am local lad serving in the ship and tell my friends in malayalam "njaan Tushyil aan ippo duty", I would hear a few giggles. Translation "I am on duty in the tushy" (adding -il means "in <xyz>" eg: Delhi-il means "in Delhi")

The new CNS is from my neighborhood and studied in the local school! Lots of pride around the community about a local boy doing well.
bharathp
BRFite

Post by bharathp »

this using of seemingly obscure sanskrutam words allows for the convent (un)educated indians and others to remember such words and research the etymology/meaning.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Hill Ranges, Mountains, mighty rivers .. we in India have a humongous number of names., all represent strength and resolution.
Vindhya
Satpura
Sivalik
Lekh
Gharwar
Girnar
Chittagong

Any of Navys capital ships would have a proud name !..maybe the next IAC would have one of these!
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Corvettes named after Islands, Frigate made in India named after mountains and rivers. The imported ones from Russia are named after weapons. Destroyers are named after cities. Mine sweepers small cities. Aircraft carriers named after Kings or title of Kings. This did not apply to Vikrant though. Next Aircraft carrier should be named INS Raja Rajendra, INS Chatrapathi Shivaji, INS Rani Jhansi and not some odd names like Vishal.
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

Find it a bit funny that so much thought is given to the names of IN ships while the naval ensign itself is literally St. George's cross, a crusader.

Like ks_sachinji said, Just call them by their numbers and be done with it.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

m_saini wrote:Find it a bit funny that so much thought is given to the names of IN ships while the naval ensign itself is literally St. George's cross, a crusader.

Names are powerful if used appropriately to further a nation's representation of her civilization and cultural symbols. The flag was changed during the last NDA rule and the Congress bought back the old flag. This Govt put the Ashoka Sthamba emblem on top of St. George's cross. There is a cultural war going on over there as well. Next step is to enlarge the Ashoka emblem with a large Dharma Chakra added on top, like the Supreme court symbol (It's said that the Dharma Chakra on top broke off from the Ashoka Stambh)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Embl ... _India.svg
Also be assured that someone will go to court citing Navy using Supremecourt symbol to ensure the British symbolism stays. :lol:
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Vayutuvan wrote:

Why not taaraa?
Taarak, Tara, tej, Tejas. These are great but ridiculously pawam names for weapons platforms. Far better to have Maarak, Mara, Mardani, vinashak etc

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

uddu wrote:
m_saini wrote:Find it a bit funny that so much thought is given to the names of IN ships while the naval ensign itself is literally St. George's cross, a crusader.

Names are powerful if used appropriately to further a nation's representation of her civilization and cultural symbols. L:
Names are an absolute must. They convey and symbolize so much.
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

Agreed. Names are quite important and symbolize a lot. It's just a little puzzling for me to devote so much effort for one that was built and designed by a Russian shipyard, more so when it wasn't even intended for India originally.
S_Madhukar
BRFite

Post by S_Madhukar »

We have so many coastal towns and villages where many sailors could hail from. Just use those names. If done call them INS Talwar 2, 3 etc.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rakesh wrote: https://twitter.com/delhidefence/status ... 59008?s=20 ---> NEWS: The Indian Navy earlier today, 09 Nov 2021, received the fourth submarine of the Project 75 (Scorpene) (Yard 11878- Vela) from the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd, built under collaboration with Naval Group, France. The submarine is due to be commissioned in the next few months.
https://twitter.com/AirPowerAsia/status ... 70052?s=20 ---> Indian Navy to commission fourth Scorpene submarine VELA into service on Nov 25.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/delhidefence/status ... 05667?s=20 ---> Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi will hand over the indigenously developed Advanced Electronic Warfare Suite for the Indian Navy by DRDO on 19 Nov 2021 at Jhansi. The EW Suites will be deployed on all future Indian Naval Ships including soon to be commissioned Vikrant.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Is there any description of the EW suite developed by DRDO? I would love to read about it.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Please look up the DRDO newsletters. Anything that was published for public consumption will be in there.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/146 ... 86022?s=20 ---> Anyway, the first of the 'new' Sandhayak-Class large Survey Vessels, being built by GRSE, Kolkata, is due to be launched in early December 2021. Image courtesy: Indian Navy. 4 units are being built.

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/146 ... 16833?s=20 ---> Contract for building these ships was signed on 30 Oct 2018. According to the Indian Navy, they are 'equipped with new generation hydrographic equipment including AUVs, ROVs, 11m survey boats and advanced indigenous data acquisition systems'.