Su-30MKI: News and Discussion - 24 July 2021

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: Su-30MKI: News and Discussion - 24 July 2021

Post by Rakesh »

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

It is high time
This fleet gets its HAS for each of these aircraft
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Right now it HAS no shelter!!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Aditya_V wrote:It is high time
This fleet gets its HAS for each of these aircraft
ks_sachin wrote:Right now it HAS no shelter!!
All the bases (Bareilly, Chabua, Halwara, Jodhpur, Lohegaon, Maharajpur, Sirsa, Tezpur and Thanjavur) that the Rambha is permanently stationed at, have metal-fibre shelters installed. These are used to protect the Su-30MKI from the elements. The other option was to park her inside large aviation hangars, if the bases had that type of infrastructure present. Prior to this, the Rambha was left out in the open but with sun deflective canopy covers (as we can see in the picture above). This is necessary, as the heat in India + the glass canopy will act as a magnifying glass and cook the sensitive electronics inside. You cannot leave the canopy permanently open either, as the dust in India will damage the electronics.

See image below of a metal-fibre shelter (not permanent)....

Image Source: https://www.ajaishukla.com/2011/12/iaf- ... i-but.html

See image below of hangars (permanent structure)....

Image Source: https://www.ajaishukla.com/2019/01/indi ... ukhoi.html

However, metal-fibre shelters or storing inside large hangars is *NOT* a substitute for Hardened Air Shelters (HAS). This is especially vital for airbases closer to the border and a project was finally given CCS approval (after much bureaucratic delays) in 2017 to construct NGHAS (Next Generation Hardened Air Shelters). The NGHAS being built will have layers of reinforced concrete, sand & steel and can protect aircraft from direct hits by a 2,000 lb bomb. I am not sure how far along this project is underway, but I believe over 100+ NGHAS are planned across various airbases across the country. But I do expect expediency on this post Galwan and that too with this present Govt.

The Rambha's massive size does not permit her to fit inside the present HAS that are available at airbases. They can accommodate a MiG-29, a Mirage 2000, a Jaguar and obviously a MiG-21 or a Tejas. But the Rambha is a beast unto herself. She is HUGE.

The only airbases - in recent memory - that came customized from day one (even before the arrival of the aircraft) is the Rafale F3R(I). The base infrastructure at Hasimara and Ambala is something else. No wonder that base infrastructure cost US $1 billion, but the NGHAS present on those airbases does not alone account for that cost....it includes other goodies like simulators and other equipment. I have said this before and will say it again ---> Hasimara and Ambala can each house one additional Rafale squadron. Maharajpur AFS - home to the three Mirage 2000 squadrons aka the Balakot Boys - will also serve as a future Rafale airbase, if a repeat Rafale order comes.

The Rafale - just like her predecessor i.e. Mirage 2000 - is a delicate darling. That term was given to the Mirage 2000 by IAF MiG-29 crews. The MiG-29 had rivets all over and never had the finesse of a Mirage 2000, but the MiG-29 will out maneuver a Mirage 2000 any day. Any IAF MiG-29 pilot will tell you that he flies the most maneuverable fighter in the IAF. In the words of one IAF MiG-29 pilot, "The maneuverability is so good, that I am confident I will shoot him down."

But going back to Katrina, FASF Rafale pilots wear silk lined gloves and her maintenance crews sometimes use angle grinders (post flight) with a special grinder bit to smooth any imperfections on the airframe. Such level of care is never doled out on Russian aircraft. Like the real Katrina, the Rafale is quite the Diwali firecracker but she requires TLC (Tender Loving Care) to perform to spec. Russian aircraft are robust aircraft, but are maintenance hogs. The Su-30MKI is an excellent example of that.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

It has been 5 yrs since the CCS approval, that's why expect almost all IAF reduced squadron strength fighters to be HAS, in the era of low RCS drones, PGM's and CMs.

In any hostile activity it will be first thing the enemy will try. Pakis might try Operation Chengiz Khan 2.

That's way satellite photos of PAF, Murid, Maripur, Jacobabad, Kohat, Sargodha, Shor kot Road, Peshawar are pretty impressive. Widely dispersed HAS and hardly 1 or 2 fighters caught out in the open.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Much of that infrastructure is due to CEATO and SENTO - agreements signed between the US and Pakistan in the 50s/60s.

Many have been since upgraded and brought up to modern standards. Different philosophy in the PAF, which is preservation at all costs.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

PAF has been paranoid of an isolated cluster munition strike (by IAF aircraft or SRBM) on row-parked f16s for a while because it is one of the Cold Start type lower-threshold objective (significant destruction of military infra) that India has on the table after a large impact terror attack. Hence their focus on building and upgrading HAS despite meager resources.

IAF has been lagging in not doing the same for all bases, with China in mind. Plus the post-balakote shenanigans show us that we can get egg on our face if pakis reciprocate and there is no tight coupled ADE to shoot their munitions down.
VKumar
BRFite

Post by VKumar »

Don't forget that in 1971 PAF attempted a pre-emptive strike on several IAF airfields and met with good success at Kalaikunda.
Kersi
BRFite

Post by Kersi »

A large number of airbases in the western sector have hardened aircraft shelters. i do not know if they can accommodate a SU 30.

Few years ago there was an open article in media that IAF is constructing 100+ HAS at various air bases. I think this project is done. I am sure that any HAS built in past few years would be large enough for a SU 30
Kersi
BRFite

Post by Kersi »

Let us try and use our own Lahori logic. If we do not see any HAS at any major/critical air base, what does it mean ?

To me it means that that air base has UNDERGROUIND shelters
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

hnair wrote: IAF has been lagging in not doing the same for all bases, with China in mind. Plus the post-balakote shenanigans show us that we can get egg on our face if pakis reciprocate and there is no tight coupled ADE to shoot their munitions down.
If IAF has been lagging behind on this front, its quite appalling. Shows us how Pakis, with their messed up country & meagre resources, seem to get their military priorities right, while we have bureaucratic hand-wringing.

This has to be a Top 3 priority item, on par with SAMs and Squadron strength. We have been wargaming that the lizard will launch a pre-emptive BM strike on our airbases. Not sure what the purpose of these wargames are, if we cannot even construct HAS shelters as a defense mechanism.

Geography cannot come to the rescue against PGMs and accurate long-ranged BMs. SAMs shoot them down. Our ABM coverage around air-bases is non-existent. HAS is our only option for survivability. I say, give the project to Nitin Gadkari. He knows how to get infra projects done on time.
Brad Goodman
BRF Oldie

Post by Brad Goodman »

Kersi wrote:Let us try and use our own Lahori logic. If we do not see any HAS at any major/critical air base, what does it mean ?

To me it means that that air base has UNDERGROUIND shelters
Let me quote my experience this is from early 1990's around the time Operations Brass Tacks was taking place, my Dad was posted on western sector at an airbase which was still not fully ready. They were planning to build 10 hardened air shelters, the word they used was "blast penns". The work was allocated to Military Engineering Services (MES) and subcontracted to local civil contractors who would bring local mazdoors in tractor trolleys. It was very slow process even some of the specialized cement came from Russia. The shelters were built as custom fit for Mig-21. I believe and I can be wrong on this part but tejas dimensions were dictated by constraints around these penns. I hope now we so not engage MES and use some mechanized constructions with prefabracted structures to stream line quality and pace of construction
prashantsharma
BRFite

Post by prashantsharma »

Kersi wrote:A large number of airbases in the western sector have hardened aircraft shelters. i do not know if they can accommodate a SU 30.

Few years ago there was an open article in media that IAF is constructing 100+ HAS at various air bases. I think this project is done. I am sure that any HAS built in past few years would be large enough for a SU 30
This is the only image i have ever seen of an MKI inside a HAS. A very limited number of such mki sized blast pens exist as on date and only at some airbases.
https://twitter.com/livefist/status/985 ... nR9D6SRH1w
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

prashantsharma wrote: This is the only image i have ever seen of an MKI inside a HAS. A very limited number of such mki sized blast pens exist as on date and only at some airbases.
Truly shocking situation after so many years of these aircraft being the IAF's mainstay. I guess everything eventually boils down to a lack of money.
prashantsharma
BRFite

Post by prashantsharma »

nachiket wrote:
prashantsharma wrote: This is the only image i have ever seen of an MKI inside a HAS. A very limited number of such mki sized blast pens exist as on date and only at some airbases.
Truly shocking situation after so many years of these aircraft being the IAF's mainstay. I guess everything eventually boils down to a lack of money.
It is primarily poor priorities, and mismanagement. Look at Phalodi. The construction of HAS started about a decade after the runway was completed. And then the construction of a measly 6 HAS has been dragging on for 3-4 years. Nothing can hurry the holy mess that is MoD - IAF - MES - Pvt Contractors.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Money is not the issue. These are not very expensive projects, compared to other defense procurement. The Services even have emergency procurement powers, if it really comes to that.

Like Prashant says above, there is generally a chalta-hai attitude and a belief that war will not knock on our doors. There is also a false sense of security that geography will protect our airbases. The new forms of warfare haven't sunk in yet, notwithstanding grandiose interviews/op-eds about 5th generation warfare.

P.S. Yes, there is a real issue with our measly defense budget (all of which does not even get spent). One only has to look at China's aggressive expansion versus our baniya bean-counting. There is no point becoming a $10T economy, if we cannot protect it. Our history should teach us at least this much. For want of a nail, the shoe is lost....
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

The entire GOI apparatus was a bit lazy including parts of the forces, they did not understand that the PAF is the guarantor of Jihadis, they have been have been exercising with F-16 with AIM 120 C-7 Amraams yet it took them 27-Feb-19 to start acting on the range limitation of R-77 VS AIm 120 C5 Amraams.
prashantsharma
BRFite

Post by prashantsharma »

We are crying over 32 vs 42 sqns... no one seems to realise that at the end of day one of a sneaky attack by china, we will be down to 20 sqns if this pathetic state of affairs continues
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

There is a mindset issue in GOI regards to defence, R&D and other "cost centers". They neither bring in electoral gains or quick results. We've spent Rs 25 Lakh crore on Jan Dhan linked cash transfers etc so far. (https://www.livemint.com/news/india/aro ... 48424.html). Jal Shakti yearly budget is Rs 70K crore. All laudable, but the lack of focus on R&D, heavy engg shows where the priorities are. And that is a significant challenge. Heavy engg programs take time to deliver. We add years to sanctioning the budget and think optimising a few Crores here or there is being very efficient. It actually adds delay, risk and causes multiple issues down the line.

The DRDO's annual budget was Rs 20,000 Crore/year. Instead of raising it, they were asked to "allot" 25% to JVs with the pvt sector. That's not going to accelerate the existing programs either or create future building blocks double quick.

So with this mindset, which prioritizes "poverty alleviation" ie massive social spending over technology creation and growth, leaving the mfg gains part to the pvt sector via PLI etc, we have a tough issue at hand. GaN fab at IISc which had huge potential has been ignored. In fact many places are managing with poor infra and trying jugaad techniques to extend programs.

Even the defence budget is Rs 5.25 Lakh crores per year of which the majority goes to revenue budget thanks to the IAs lopsided allocations. Instead of boosting it to buy more local gear they just asked IA to use existing limited budget to buy local and hope the new Agniveer scheme will bring balance. While the percentages look great, high end gear is still languishing for orders. When the media started pointing it out, the GOI even pulled Annual Reports from the MOD website.

The GOI seems to think international alliances and western pressure will dissuade PRC in an all out conflict. Several of us been informed very solemnly that this is the case. I disagree with that belief.

IMHO we've taken a minor clash at Galwan to be reflective of how things would go in a wider conflict and some of our senior folks, instead of ringing the alarm bells, are acting like how the Pakis behave when it comes to India with talk of one Indian soldier being equal to ten Chinese, superior training, toughness etc. All that may be true but doesn't overcome imbalances elsewhere in firepower and numbers. The GOI is being misled. Unfortunately those who are ringing the warning bells have been so political in the past that they've likely burnt all their bridges with the establishment.

Frankly speaking, the fact that PRC is laser focused on the cross straits match up is what has prevented us from facing a lot of their full strength. Their AF, Navy and PLARF build up is mind boggling. Even assuming lower quality, serviceability, the numbers add up to a brutal comparison especially given how we've (not) reacted.

Don't know when this GOI /advisor mindset will change. Am tired of ringing the alarm bell. People need to understand that if an actual fight occurs, as taxpayers, it's our responsibility and duty to speak the absolute, unvarnished truth. Not let our own political preferences or biases blind us to what is the objective reality. Simply put, TLDR, we need to spend more on R&D and defence. Anyways OT for this thread.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

FASF Rafale pilots wear silk lined gloves
Those "silk lined gloves" are designed that way not because Rafale is delicate or pilots like Hermes :P or whatever, but to enable quick donning and removal, dorsal side of the palm has a patch of shammy to wipe helmet visor (and not for wiping off sweat as some claim because Rafale pilots don't need to sweat to fly the plane 8) ). Finger tips are seamless for comfort and precision touch and sensitivity while operating the HOTAS joystick buttons which have over 120 functions in all, and lined with some conducting material to enable use of touch screens on the side panels just in front of the joysticks and the MFDs on the right and left instrument panel which don't have buttons all around. (The large central tactical situation display screen is NOT tactile). The rest of the glove is soft leather for durability and comfort, with suede patches under the fingers for adequate grip on the joysticks. Stretch material on the dorsal wrist end is again for easy in and out.

gants de vol type 96

The rugged cockpit of SU30-MKI has fewer MFDs for the pilot, but large MFDs fr WSO, which are surrounded by lots of buttons, perhaps they are not touch screens, and joysticks are simpler therefore dont need such high tech pilot gloves to operate.

Perhaps upgraded / super suhkhoi cockpits have touch screens ?
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Well said Karan.

And its not like the Govt is averse to Infra spending. Road-building is going on at full pace, even though its not a vote-winner. Investment in defense R&D will not only create future capacity but also result in immediate job creation. Like the Defense corridors in UP & TN.

But Govt must do this in a move-the-needle type of way, by increasing Def Budget by at least 1 percentage point of the GDP. This mandate has to come from the top-man himself, because the MoF mandarins will veto it otherwise.

I hope he is paranoid enough or someone makes him so. We don't want a 1962 redux. Will be bad for him politically too
VenkataS
BRFite

Post by VenkataS »

It is hard to understand the lower importance given to Defense R&D spending and on building local MIC in India especially because of the Geo Political situation that India is in with massive security threats on both borders.

We are loosing valuable time with respect to building our military industrial base. As the number of years wrt the disparity in spending on Defense between India and China increases, it will be so much more harder to bridge the gap in the future.

They have had a 20 year head start with investing in higher multiples than us in defense R&D and in building their MIC. Private sector participation alone cannot help us here.
The Govt needs to wake up now!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

prashantsharma wrote:This is the only image i have ever seen of an MKI inside a HAS. A very limited number of such mki sized blast pens exist as on date and only at some airbases.
An excellent find. Thank You! :)

This is the first time I am actually seeing a Su-30MKI inside a HAS. This could be one of the new NGHAS (Next Generation Hardened Air Shelters) that has been constructed. A very nice picture.

A satellite view of Sirsa AFB does show multiple HAS placed next to the taxiway;

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.5604346 ... !1e3?hl=en
pravula
BRFite

Post by pravula »

Cyrano wrote:
FASF Rafale pilots wear silk lined gloves
Those "silk lined gloves" are designed that way not because Rafale is delicate or pilots like Hermes :P or whatever, but to enable quick donning and removal, dorsal side of the palm has a patch of shammy to wipe helmet visor (and not for wiping off sweat as some claim because Rafale pilots don't need to sweat to fly the plane 8) ).
It’s also very common with Motorcycle riders. Silk is supposed to be naturally antibacterial and smells less after repeated use.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hel ... ndergloves
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Cyrano wrote:Those "silk lined gloves" are designed...
Nice post cyrano-ji! :)
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/joe_sameer/status/1 ... lnX9DI4wng ---> Two Su-30MKIs from No 15 Squadron dueled with 8 F-16s on 27 Feb 2019 and held their own. The Avenger formation crew have a beer bash every time the PAF ceremonial parade honours its fake MKI kill at the Operation Swift Retort memorial in Sargodha AFB, hoping for an invite to attend one day.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/noncommunistmao/sta ... XXXd02Iahw ---> The Flying Lancers!

After a LOT of back and forth and many, many a rejected concept…soon to adorn the walls of No 15 Squadron.

A piece for which I’m yet to come up with a name. I give you the Sukhoi Su-30MKI.

MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

IAF boosts Su-30 aircrafts' capabilities with new over 250km strike range missile
https://www.aninews.in/news/national/ge ... 207144254/
"The new high-speed low drag missile can hit targets at over 250 kilometres and is going to boost the capability of the aircraft," defence sources told ANI.
Is it the Kh-59M?

Also please check out the video report below and Gurus please ID the weapon on the extreme left (Sitting next to the Kh-29TE)

Also ID the ACMI pod looking thing on the pylon. Thanks.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

IAF boosts Su-30 aircraft’s capability with over 250 km strike range missile
https://www.indiatoday.in/amp/india/sto ... 2022-12-07
07 Dec 2022
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/AdithyaKM_/status/1 ... Y7glwPTY-g ---> India seems to have bought Israeli Rampage for Su-30MKI. Missile can hit targets at over 250 km & its addition under an emergency import contract is going to boost the capability. India has a requirement for > 250 LRSGMs, Rudram-2 likely in lieu of Rampage when ready?

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/TheLegateIN/status/ ... Y7glwPTY-g ---> Report: IAF equipping Su-30 MKIs with Rampage ALBM, which are able to evade latest Chinese HQ-9 variants
Kersi
BRFite

Post by Kersi »

How is it different from the Spice family ?
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Guidance and propulsion.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Rakesh wrote: https://twitter.com/AdithyaKM_/status/1 ... Y7glwPTY-g ---> India seems to have bought Israeli Rampage for Su-30MKI. Missile can hit targets at over 250 km & its addition under an emergency import contract is going to boost the capability. India has a requirement for > 250 LRSGMs, Rudram-2 likely in lieu of Rampage when ready?
I don't understand this sh!t from IAF.

It takes them 4 years to integrate desi missiles and munitions with infinite loop of wind tunnel, carriage, drop, firing test before placing a small lot pre-production order.
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

Emergency Procurement is the new gravy train for import lobby.

Emergency Procurement should be increased by 50% and restricted to only IDDM products. I think Government will be busy in election mode till 2024 and import lobby will hv a field day till then.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Where is it stated that Rampage's range is 250 Km? Google chacha says its 150 Km.

Rudram-2's range, if built according to specs, is 300 Km, flying at Mach 4. Hopefully, Rampage is an interim buy till Rudram-2 is ready for induction

Rampage isn't a bad buy, considering Rudram-2 has not yet started its tests & Brahmos-air-launched is still a bit too heavy for shorter ranges. Importantly, a larger variety of aircraft can be integrated with Rampage.

Tejas comes to mind. Its already integrated with the French Hammer, which gives it a 70 Km standoff range. Hope they integrate Rampage also with it. At 600 Kgs, Tejas can comfortably carry 2 of them for Balakot type missions
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

Kersi wrote:How is it different from the Spice family ?
SPICE = guided glide bombs (~ 50 km range using multiple control surfaces, but unpowered. GPS + E/O guidance and scene matching capability)

RAMPAGE = air launched ballistic missile (~ 250 km range using rocket booster/sustainer. appears to have very small control fins. so I'm assuming its hypersonic in its downward trajectory, and has some course correction capability based on INS/GPS. Hard to see how E/O guidance is possible)
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

JTull wrote:
Rakesh wrote: https://twitter.com/AdithyaKM_/status/1 ... Y7glwPTY-g ---> India seems to have bought Israeli Rampage for Su-30MKI. Missile can hit targets at over 250 km & its addition under an emergency import contract is going to boost the capability. India has a requirement for > 250 LRSGMs, Rudram-2 likely in lieu of Rampage when ready?

It takes them 4 years to integrate desi missiles and munitions with infinite loop of wind tunnel, carriage, drop, firing test before placing a small lot pre-production order.
Probably a very small off-the-shelf buy

In any case the desi alternatives haven't been tested yet i.e. Rudram-II

In any case, munition shelf-life does expire and/or munitions keep getting expended during live-carry exercises and firing trials. This inventory will slowly dwindle.

Only the significantly cheaper locally produced munitions will be procured in large enough quantities that justify regular firing and training and will keep getting topped up in re-procurement batches
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

JTull wrote:

In fairness to IAF, they looked at RAMPAGE in 2021 Aero India and Israel had integrated these with both Western and Russian aircraft.
they have been working on it since 2012 per wiki.

Basically, Israel took a ground-launched guided rocket (> 300mm) and added suspension lugs and ensure the electrical connector can mate with the aircraft to provide guidance data.
There is no el-op seeker just INS and GPS.
Now compare to guided Pinaka which is 227 mm in diameter and has an el-op seeker.
Agree as its diameter and length are smaller it will not have the range.
However, guided Pinaka will be cheaper and can have more as its made locally.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

ramana wrote: In fairness to IAF, they looked at RAMPAGE in 2021 Aero India and Israel had integrated these with both Western and Russian aircraft.
they have been working on it since 2012 per wiki.
I don't see any evidence of integration with Russian origin aircraft.

It is one thing to make it compatible with MIL-STD-1553, and completely different to undertake wind-tunnel, carriage, inert-drop and live-fire testing for each variant of each aircraft.

My point is why is IAF allowing short-cuts for foreign suppliers, which they don't allow desi products? The whole thing stinks.