Su-30MKI: News and Discussion - 24 July 2021

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: Su-30MKI: News and Discussion - 24 July 2021

Post by Rakesh »

Great twitter thread on some possible future capabilities for the Rambha. Please click on link below.

https://twitter.com/BlackIAdder/status/ ... 18752?s=20 ---> So thank you all for the vote on my first 'themed' thread on Air. Most have asked for the future of the MKI in Indian Service...so let's start.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/alpha_defense/statu ... 34368?s=20 --->

Under Project Navchakshu, Su-30MKI will be integrated with the following systems:

+Next Gen RWR
+ASPJ
+LH and RH HBJ pods
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Beautiful! 8)

https://twitter.com/NexoftBhai/status/1 ... 08039?s=20 ----> Presenting... MKI with 32x SAAWs...

"You either waste your SAMs on it, or let it destroy your airbase, coz if you try to choose the former... the next MKI will do the latter..."

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/Praneethfrank/statu ... 58948?s=20 ----> 10K resolution composite image of flat spin sequence of Su-30MKI!

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/eagledynamics/statu ... 55329?s=20 ---> It's time to share... share a DCS screenshot that best describes your piloting abilities! Go! #DCSWorld

https://twitter.com/CharlieVertical/sta ... 59424?s=20 ---> Reheat !! Now and Forever!

Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Su 30 GROWLER?

TWITTER

@TheLegateIN:

Report: IAF planning to ink a deal with Russia for 12 Su-30 MKI with advanced electronic warfare (EW) capabilities next year.

Will be used in a role similar to USN's EA-18 Growlers.

https://twitter.com/TheLegateIN/status/ ... ynXNw&s=19

@ssdp42:
Russia has offered Khibiny system. First time this has been offered outside Russia.

https://twitter.com/sddp42/status/14653 ... 5OuNg&s=19

https://t.co/n7KLVoTmy7
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Manish_Sharma wrote:Su 30 GROWLER?

TWITTER

@TheLegateIN:

Report: IAF planning to ink a deal with Russia for 12 Su-30 MKI with advanced electronic warfare (EW) capabilities next year.

Will be used in a role similar to USN's EA-18 Growlers.

https://twitter.com/TheLegateIN/status/ ... ynXNw&s=19

@ssdp42:
Russia has offered Khibiny system. First time this has been offered outside Russia.

https://twitter.com/sddp42/status/14653 ... 5OuNg&s=19

https://t.co/n7KLVoTmy7
Seeing the CCS approval of 10K crore in Jul 20 I knew there was something different about these. I did raise the question that time it was dismissed as life cycle costs.

The funny thing is the CCS approval for these was given under Make in India category.
Praying we can get an Uttam series AESA on these
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Knew it. IAF had been waiting for pakfa technologies to mature. First khibiny, then maybe the l band radar. And finally, the izd 130.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Aditya_V wrote:
Seeing the CCS approval of 10K crore in Jul 20 I knew there was something different about these. I did raise the question that time it was dismissed as life cycle costs.

The funny thing is the CCS approval for these was given under Make in India category.
Are the 21 Mig 29s being ordered with this also going to have some special abilities?
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Highly unlikely, for 21 of them CCS approval was Rs.7742 crore or USD 49 million a piece, these are probably an additional squadron to make up numbers before Mk1A come while the Bisons start retiring.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Manish_Sharma wrote:
Aditya_V wrote:

Are the 21 Mig 29s being ordered with this also going to have some special abilities?
Yes. In some ways.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Karan M wrote:
Manish_Sharma wrote:Are the 21 Mig 29s being ordered with this also going to have some special abilities?
Yes. In some ways.
https://twitter.com/Sandeep_Mave/status ... 63298?s=20 ---> New 21 MiG-29s for Indian Air Force will be equipped with AESA radar and advanced avionics.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

This is all just Twitter gossip right now - both the news about the MKI's and the 29's.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Karan M wrote:
Manish_Sharma wrote:
Yes. In some ways.

An extra squadron of Tejas MK1 will go a longer way. An extra squadron of 30-MKI will be more useful. I don't understand the order for Mig29 now as these will end up being sole survivors into 2050. How will we maintain and service them?
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Rakesh wrote:
Karan M wrote: Yes. In some ways.
https://twitter.com/Sandeep_Mave/status ... 63298?s=20 ---> New 21 MiG-29s for Indian Air Force will be equipped with AESA radar and advanced avionics.
The Iaf's plan seems to be to get whatever they can and upgrade it to the max possible so that even diminutive quantities pack a lot of capability.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Cybaru wrote:
Karan M wrote:
Yes. In some ways.

An extra squadron of Tejas MK1 will go a longer way. An extra squadron of 30-MKI will be more useful. I don't understand the order for Mig29 now as these will end up being sole survivors into 2050. How will we maintain and service them?
In some ways it's a better purchase than upgraded mirage 2000s considering that is line was stopped in the mid 2000s. At least the fulcrum family has a lot of commonality and will see service in multiple services for the next few decades.

I'm not sure the iaf is thinking in terms of either or wrt to Tejas, mki, m2k and 29s. Or if more Tejas can be delivered during the time frame. At this point their attitude is to just take whatever they can as fast as they can within acquisition and operational cost limits of course. Build up numbers as best they can. The closest they can get to low price and high capability is the fulcrum and possibly a few m2k.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Cybaru wrote:
Karan M wrote:
Yes. In some ways.

Substantial maintenance infra at BRD, HAL plus Russians themselves have MiG-29s and have sold them to a a handful of customers beyond the IAF. Hopefully by the time they start showing their age, we will have alternatives (MWF, AMCA) and the pockets to order in bulk.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

Cain Marko wrote:In some ways it's a better purchase than upgraded mirage 2000s considering that is line was stopped in the mid 2000s. At least the fulcrum family has a lot of commonality and will see service in multiple services for the next few decades.

I'm not sure the iaf is thinking in terms of either or wrt to Tejas, mki, m2k and 29s. Or if more Tejas can be delivered during the time frame. At this point their attitude is to just take whatever they can as fast as they can within acquisition and operational cost limits of course. Build up numbers as best they can. The closest they can get to low price and high capability is the fulcrum and possibly a few m2k.
I can bet a few beers that MK1 will be delivered faster than acquiring Mig-29 + upgrading in India or Russia and still their availability will be less as compared to Tejas. So what is IAF thinking? Only Bhagwan knows :roll:
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

RKumar wrote:
Cain Marko wrote:In some ways it's a better purchase than upgraded mirage 2000s considering that is line was stopped in the mid 2000s. At least the fulcrum family has a lot of commonality and will see service in multiple services for the next few decades.

I can bet a few beers that MK1 will be delivered faster than acquiring Mig-29 + upgrading in India or Russia and still their availability will be less as compared to Tejas. So what is IAF thinking? Only Bhagwan knows :roll:
Are you saying the IAF Mig 29s have low availability ATM?

I do not think that is true.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

RKumar wrote:
Please make better quality informed posts (data, citation, links) than engage in idle speculation. Consider this as an admin caution.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

Why Is India Upgrading Its Air Force With Older MiG-29, Mirage 2000 Fighter Jets As It Looks To Battle China?
Mukherjee spoke about the feasibility of procuring secondhand MiG-29s for the IAF. “The IAF already operates three squadrons of MiG-29 (UPG). One more squadron of MiG-29 is being bought which will be upgraded to the UPG standard. I have heard that the MiG-29 is very costly to maintain when compared to the Su-27 family which is a much larger, more capable aircraft.

One African country even returned their MiG-29s to Russia complaining of poor build quality. Russian jet engines have lower life and time between overhauls compared to western engines. Russian avionics is still behind western avionics. Russians themselves prefer the Su27/30/35 over the MiG 29/35 family,” he added.
There is a limit, how much you can patch a poorly build aircraft and Russian themselves don't want to use the product so they are looking for a buyer.

Instead of placing additional orders of brand new quality build Tejas, we are buying decades older airframes.
Let see by when these Mig-29 will join the active duty in the service?
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

Given the depletion of squadron strength we are looking at and the available rate of production, Mig 29 UPGs make sense.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Interesting article, but I have to call BS on it.

I doubt the Russians have actually mastered the concept of flight.

1) There are no Russian aircraft that have actually flown. None. Any picture or video out there is either photoshopped or doctored.

2) The MiG, Sukhoi, Tupolev and Yakovlev corporations are actually Russian front organizations to launder money, drugs and prostitution.

3) There have never been any Russian aircraft that have served or are serving with the Indian Air Force. Only Western and Indian aircraft.

Now that we have ascertained those facts, let me reply to your post.
RKumar wrote:There is a limit, how much you can patch a poorly build aircraft and Russian themselves don't want to use the product so they are looking for a buyer.
Since Russian aircraft are a myth, your statement above is a moot point
RKumar wrote:Instead of placing additional orders of brand new quality build Tejas, we are buying decades older airframes.
There is no aircraft called MiG-29. That is a codename used by the Russian mafia (ex-KGB officers) for nefarious purposes.

============================================

Please find out the answers to these questions and get back to us;

1) Have these 21 MiG-29s in question ever been flown? Very important point to know.

2) Are these 21 MiG-29s just empty hulls or do they have all the components (radar, sensors, turbofans, etc) fitted on them?
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

rakesh ji this was three much..jokes aside this is a su30 forum.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

Rakesh wrote:....
The above statements are yours, did I say any of those things - No. I don't know the answers to your 2 questions. The fact is - those are only from 1980s - it's been 3-4 decades, we don't know under what conditions those are stored or ever maintained. We are assuming here that weather has not taken a toll on those?

Besides that, my only point was Tejas has a better availability rate than Mig-29. Knowing this is why IAF wants to buy second hand/decades older fighters when we can produce more Tejas MK1 at home? There is a chance that we might have Tejas production line ideal for some time. Order additional Tejas, so that at least one production line continues producing more Tejas.

If you don't agree on this point - consider it as my BS and we can all move on!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

RKumar wrote:The above statements are yours, did I say any of those things - No.
I did not say you said them :)

I made those statements to give you moral support to the outlandish statements are you making.
RKumar wrote:I don't know the answers to your 2 questions. The fact is - those are only from 1980s - it's been 3-4 decades, we don't know under what conditions those are stored or ever maintained. We are assuming here that weather has not taken a toll on those?
So you have no clue as to the answers, but yet you will make the assumption - which you are passing off as fact - that these are used MiG-29s. OK.

Assume for a second that these are not used MiG-29s. Would your concerns be alleviated then? Or is it because it is Russian, it will be bad onlee?

Have you visited the location where these 21 MiG-29s are stored? Do you know if these 21 aircraft are sitting out in the open or stored in a warehouse? Are Russian clueless as to how to store aircraft or aircraft hulls? Or did they build them and then just left them on a runway somewhere, exposed to the elements? Do Russians even know what a warehouse is - four walls and a roof?

These airframes in question have been visited by IAF personnel for examination. It is only after this examination are negotiations being done with Russia to upgrade them to a certain standard that the IAF wants. Similar to how the IAF visited France to examine the two used twin seater Mirage 2Ks that have recently been acquired from ex-French Air Force stocks. Similar to how the IAF acquired used Mirage 2000s to be stripped for parts. They check the condition of the airframe to see if it is airworthy and worth the investment in upgrading.

Unless IAF personnel are clueless to such procedures? All those years of Russian indoctrination are finally bearing fruit.
RKumar wrote:Besides that, my only point was Tejas has a better availability rate than Mig-29. Knowing this is why IAF wants to buy second hand/decades older fighters when we can produce more Tejas MK1 at home? There is a chance that we might have Tejas production line ideal for some time. Order additional Tejas, so that at least one production line continues producing more Tejas.

If you don't agree on this point - consider it as my BS and we can all move on!
There we go again with the "second hand/decades old" fighters :roll:

We can certainly move on, after you stop the BS and digressing this thread. You were warned by an admin to stop with this, so STOP.

Since you do not want to take *ANY* effort to find out if these aircraft are used or not, here it is for you;

IAF set to place orders for 21 MiG-29 jets from Russia by Dec to shore up aircraft strength
https://theprint.in/defence/iaf-set-to- ... th/517907/
The Mig-29 airframes have been lying with Moscow since the late 1980s but have never been flown. The sources said a study conducted on the airframes had found them in good condition. “The airframes are in good quality. They will now fit all the equipment and other systems as part of the deal,” the source quoted above said.
IAF To Immediately Buy 21 MiG-29 Fighter Aircraft To Bolster Depleting Fleet
https://www.ibtimes.co.in/iaf-immediate ... eet-791888
These MiG-29s have been kept unused for the last three decades. In fact, their wings have also been kept separate from their bodies.
"A high-level IAF team has returned from Russia, where we found the MiG-29s to be in excellent condition. They could make an excellent addition to our fleet and we are submitting a positive report," a senior IAF official said.
Some points to consider;

1) Do the young Russian aircraft technicians know how to attach the wings of the MiG-29 to the body? What if the wing falls off the plane while in flight? Even more embarrassing would be if the wing falls off the plane while in combat. After all, 3 to 4 decades have passed since these 21 MiG-29s were built. All the more experienced technicians would have died from fatty liver disease by now, after consuming copious amounts of Vodka.

2) Are the IAF personnel who visited Russia to inspect these airframes competent? Are they engineers by profession or they simply went to Russia for time pass?
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

RKumar'ji,

Please do some thinking.

Let's say you are into leasing cars. So you have a fleet of cars. It is not small operation. You have 30 Japaruti Soosuki, 20 Vyundai grand tooling and say 10 batata sumo.

Now while you are planning to build out your fleet with next-generation EV cars, say GasLa Nexon, you realize you have to do existing fleet maintenance. Fleet maintenance mean couple of your cars are totalled. Some have other parts problem. However, the soosuki tooling has swiftly moved into desire and for your 30 japaruti soosuki, there is no existing tooling. So what do you do?

Like any prudent fleet owner, you will buy second hand cars of appropriate models and keep it handy. You can take a door from one, wheels from other, engines from third and ensure that your fleet is always up and ready. That is one way. Other is to buy planes which are still air worthy and use them to bolster up your fleet. Remember that sometimes due to bird hits and other mishaps etc etc etc, any worthy airforce in the world will have some airframe losses.

In that sense, the eurasiantimes news is junk. The people who know and matter and read they will just be interested in knowing what else IAF is purchasing in terms of "old wares" and they can sell that to IAF. The hoi-polloi will just shake their head, do a 'mudi must rezine' and go about their pan chewing ways. You may think that is an important point of discussion and bring it here (in the wrong thread that too) and get your BP up when a cheeky response comes.

Having said the above, I recommend ppl to take a break on weekend and watch the visuals when Su 30 MKI flew over Dal lake:

https://eurasiantimes.com/pakistans-nem ... n-kashmir/

There were Jags as well.

So please enjoy the video.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

disha wrote:RKumar'ji,

Please do some thinking.
:rotfl: Thank you for that.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

Rakesh wrote:
RKumar wrote:The above statements are yours, did I say any of those things - No.
I did not say you said them :)

I made those statements to give you moral support to the outlandish statements are you making.

We can certainly move on, after you stop the BS and digressing this thread. You were warned by an admin to stop with this, so STOP.
I do have a right to reply to defend my position!

This is your biased view that I am against Russia or Russian stuff. Did I complain regarding the 12 Su-30MKI purchase? It is you who is making it Russia vs abc. I was making it Mig-29 vs Tejas

You are being sarcastic, demeaning and shouting at a fellow (if you consider others equal).
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

Rakesh wrote:
disha wrote:RKumar'ji,

Please do some thinking.
:rotfl: Thank you for that.
:( :cry: what a great behaviour, standard and example set by a mod on a public forum! Thank you!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

You certainly have a right to defend your position.

Your position - in your OWN words - is this;
RKumar wrote:Knowing this is why IAF wants to buy second hand/decades older fighters when we can produce more Tejas MK1 at home?
This is the Oxford dictionary meaning of second-hand --->

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... d%20books)
not new; owned by someone else before
I am stating that these aircraft are not second hand. I have provided the articles to prove that. There are ZERO hours to the airframe.

Please provide the evidence which states otherwise and cements your position.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

Rakesh wrote:....
Rakesh, There is nothing which I would like to share further.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

RKumar wrote:Rakesh, There is nothing which I would like to share further.
Thank you for proving my point. Have a nice day.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

RKumar wrote:Why Is India Upgrading Its Air Force With Older MiG-29, Mirage 2000 Fighter Jets As It Looks To Battle China?
Mukherjee spoke about the feasibility of procuring secondhand MiG-29s for the IAF. “The IAF already operates three squadrons of MiG-29 (UPG). One more squadron of MiG-29 is being bought which will be upgraded to the UPG standard. I have heard that the MiG-29 is very costly to maintain when compared to the Su-27 family which is a much larger, more capable aircraft.

One African country even returned their MiG-29s to Russia complaining of poor build quality. Russian jet engines have lower life and time between overhauls compared to western engines. Russian avionics is still behind western avionics. Russians themselves prefer the Su27/30/35 over the MiG 29/35 family,” he added.
There is a limit, how much you can patch a poorly build aircraft and Russian themselves don't want to use the product so they are looking for a buyer.

Instead of placing additional orders of brand new quality build Tejas, we are buying decades older airframes.
Who is this "military observer Amit Mukherjee", what are his sources of info, and why is his hearsay given credence over IAFs decision making? Where is your definitive evidence that the MiG-29s we will be getting won't be inspected and that they will be poorly built? The Tejas Mk1A build rate is yet to stabilize.it makes ample sense to get more MiG-29s.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

RKumar wrote: This is your biased view that I am against Russia or Russian stuff. Did I complain regarding the 12 Su-30MKI purchase? It is you who is making it Russia vs abc. I was making it Mig-29 vs Tejas
On you Mig-29 vs Tejas

Since Mig-29s are already built and stored, if order is placed today should be available (all 21) by 12 to 24 months max

If orders for 21 additional Tejas is placed today when will they be available?
At present there is a order for 83 Mk1A, delivery of which will start only in 2024 at the earliest. Even if these additional 21 are built along with the 83 and not after them, IAF will have to wait 8 to 10 years to get that additional squadron

I think you know how happy we all would be if Tejas gets more orders, But this Mig order is a case of increasing the squadron strength which is a necessity right now and cannot wait
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

Interview with Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation (FSMTC) Director Dmitry Shugaev:

Says talks for 50 more SU 30MKI fighters

https://m.economictimes.com/news/defenc ... 134800.cms
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Now: We cannot place more orders for Tejas because we need the numbers now.
Future: We cannot place more orders for Tejas because we don't need the numbers now.

GoI : Here, take my money to buy some phoren maal. No need for any trials also.
Last edited by vimal on 07 Dec 2021 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Alternate Future: we should not place orders for outdated 4th Gen Tejas now because super-duper 5th Gen Cheque-mate is here :((
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

If 50 Su-30MKIs kill the 114 MRFA contest, it will be worth it. Getting more of the same is any day better than inducting a whole new type (i.e. F-21, F-15EX, F-18SH, Typhoon and Gripen E). 50 new birds will also bring the MRFA number from 114 down to 64. If the 21 MiG-29s also arrive, that will bring the number further down to 43 aircraft. And order two additional Rafale squadrons (36 aircraft) and the number gap for MRFA will be a mere 7 aircraft. Which OEM will transfer a line for anything less than 100 birds, as the industrial benefits - from screwdrivergiri - is one of the key selling points in the MRFA contest. After all these acquisitions, if the IAF still argues for 114 MRFA, which MoD Babu will sanction the funds?

50 Rambhas + 21 MiG-29s + 36 Rafales will be way cheaper than 114 MRFA, which has an expected cost of $25 billion (starting price).

This will also not be your "vanilla" Su-30MKI and I am not talking about the Super Sukhoi upgrade either. So get ready for "possible" news reports about the Russians charging an arm and a leg for these 50 birds. But please don't take takleef over them. This same news was there last year when the 12 "replacements" Rambhas were being negotiated for. And negotiations are still continuing. The Growlerski is likely coming, with some masala mixture of Indian and Russian kit. Of all the aircraft in the IAF inventory, it is only the Rambha that has the wherewithal to successfully execute a present-day SEAD/DEAD mission. The exact nature of the kit will obviously be classified, so there will be rona-dhona on BRF from you know who!

Remember what SAP-514 and SAP-518 did on 27 Feb 2019 to the 4 - 5 AIM-120C5 AMRAAMs that were launched by PAF F-16s against Avenger 1 and Avenger 2 (a pair of Su-30MKIs). Not a single AMRAAM found their mark against either Avenger. Speaks volumes. But the caveat to the SAP-514 and SAP-518, is it reduces the Rambha's maneuverability to that of a brick. Despite that handicap, both Avengers were able to successfully jam all the AMRAAMs that were fired against them. DRDO was working on a replacement to the SAP-514/518 and that is what I read a few years back. Perhaps it is ready now. That could be part and parcel of the package. Also expect future Rudram variants on the Indian Growler.

P.S. If this news of 50 Rambhas is true, I am happy. Really, Really happy :mrgreen: :lol:

P.P.S. :P I hope folks can now see the value of the S-400 purchase. Remember it was Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhaduria who said that the Rafale-Rambha combination will be lethal. The IAF will identity any weaknesses in the S-400 and fully exploit it. Growlerski will be part and parcel of this lethal combination.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

The 21 Mig29 will be the least useful investment at the moment (maintenance post 2035 will be headache) . Ideally 50 Rambha + 54 Raffles + 20 more Mk1A will set us up for future for a long time. All three are existing type that have long support plans in IAF.