Russian-Ukranian War: Geopolitical Fallout

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Re: Russian-Ukranian War: Geopolitical Fallout

Post by Karan M »

Raja wrote:Lol and yet, vast majority of Russians would move to Europe if they could.
Yes you went and polled them, presumably.
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

Karan M wrote:
Raja wrote:Lol and yet, vast majority of Russians would move to Europe if they could.
Yes you went and polled them, presumably.
Sir, have que a few Russian friends in Russia and abroad. I would say that all are very worried. And at least half aster looking at ways to avoid the draft.

There's a large number of people trying to take capital out of the country.

Anecdotal but at least 7 people I know of are doing this in some form or the other.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Sirji, that is anecdotal only. I can equally point you to many Russians who are fully supportive of their Govt and are actually thinking Putin is too soft and has not taken the war as seriously as he should have.

Consider for a second, do you think if India were in a war, a bunch of it's upper middle class or elite types attempting to leave India would be equal to what the bulk of India feels or would countenance. I can wager that most of India, would turn up today or tomorrow if a draft was imposed even as the media would crow over full airports and draft dodgers and what not.

Then also look at Russia's history, as brutal as it is and what it's people have historically done during conflict. They double down in support for the state. Today's Russia is not even a tenth as harsh towards it's people, as the Soviet Union was and that state was an even bigger geopolitical powerhouse.

Like it or not, wars forge national identity and patriotism like nothing else. It's the same reason why many Ukrainians are willingly submitting thenselves to their leaderships unethical meatgrinder tactics to hold the Russians back.

Even there, while many cut and run, many stayed back and that infantry support is what is causing a significant problem for Russia especially when former are stalling Russian advances via prepared defenses.
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

JE Menon wrote:The Anglosphere comprises the largest economic grouping in the world.
The behind scene actors for the Rise of Britshitstan during its heydays are the same one who are pulling strings globally. They were deeply embedded in UK, Germany, France, Netherlands, Spain and Portugal and the combined looting by colonialists/imperialist were staged managed. In India we had factions from France, Dutch, Portugal all fighting the Brits but were financed by the same deep state actors. No matter who won/lost the deep state always won. India was systematically looted. The wealth of India financed all European nations and now indirectly that wealth supports the US. Deep state actors have transmigrated their methods into the US and their wealth. The rise of the Anglosphere is built on an ediface of looting the rest of the world. Putin has wisely called them out in his speech and of course the slavery trade of africa.
Last edited by bala on 03 Oct 2022 06:52, edited 1 time in total.
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

Gyan wrote:Can Russians use Armenia to take out Azerbaijani Gas Pipeline to Europe?
Situation in this area remains very delicate. A video popped up in which azeri soldiers were shown, allegedly, firing/killing armenian soldiers in captivity. based on available information, uncle (and eu) seems to be proactively using its economic sanctions tool to limit what armenia can do (i.e. not escalate) to ensure flow of gas to turkey/eu (at least thru this winter). armenia is being pushed to pursue legal route to respond to azerbaijan. at this point the situation is unlikely to escalate, but the northern part of the gas pipeline goes thru georgia, which has its own challenges.

U.S. imposes sanctions against Armenian company Taco LLC for supporting Russia

Pashinyan: Armenia will use all available international mechanisms to bring Azerbaijan to justice

Four countries offer help to boost Azeri gas supply to Europe
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

The situation within Russia is "normal" for war circumstances. There will be people who want to get out, I know several; and there will be people who are staying back. I have both types (in my family). The reasons for this are complex and not necessarily related to "not wanting to fight".

"I have to complete my degree", "my girlfriend is in Sweden and will kill me if I join", "no way I am sending my son for this war"; sister-in-law says get us all out somehow, and it turns out she has not discussed with her husband who hasn't even thought for a second of leaving - given their parents and grandparents all worked for the government and he himself works in the defence department. In short, there is a lot of emotional stuff going on as is natural in war, as well as a lot of disinformation, etc - also as is usual during war.

Net net, this situation is normal for wartime. There is no shortage of recruits on the one hand, and no shortage of whiners on the other. The Russians are putting out disinfo and so are the Americans.

Keep your eye only on one thing: who won territory, who lost territory. That is all that matters. Unless the nuke balloon goes up. Then we all lose everything.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

bala wrote:
JE Menon wrote:The Anglosphere comprises the largest economic grouping in the world.
The rise of the Anglosphere is built on an ediface of looting the rest of the world. Putin has wisely called them out in his speech and of course the slavery trade of africa.
Sirji
Not just Anglo's its started with the medieval times : Nobility, claiming divine right(ably supported by the Church) to rule. As commerce grew so did the so did the Plutocrats and their power slowly but subtly shifted to the them. They bought their way upwards into nobility and that has grown into an amorphous mass, kind of Hydra headed monster(like the SPECTRE if you want to be James Bond :lol: ) that has infiltrated every First World Govn and controls its interest ruthlessly. The Nouvae Riche (like Gatewa/Muksva ityadi ityadi) are co-opted and asked to abide the rule :roll:
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Russia’s parliament fully ratifies unification treaties

https://www.rt.com/russia/564015-russia ... -treaties/
4 Oct, 2022
The Federation Council has approved agreements with four former Ukrainian regions (Donetsk and Lugansk People’s Republics and Kherson and Zaporozhye Regions) on accepting them as new Russian territories. The Russian constitution will need to be amended for the accession to be finalized.

Moscow said the referendums were a legitimate way for people to exercise their right for self-determination and be protected from their former government. The treaties were signed by Russian President Vladimir Putin and the heads of the four former Ukrainian regions on Friday last week. They were certified as lawful by the Constitutional Court over the weekend and ratified by the State Duma, the lower house of the Parliament, on Monday.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Congratulations and best wishes to all the exUkranian Russian people. Its not over yet, but this is nevertheless a milestone to celebrate!
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

KrishnaK
BRFite

Post by KrishnaK »

JE Menon wrote:>>This claim, amongst so many others on this thread, would be surreal even if there were some facts to support your case.

The Anglosphere comprises the largest economic grouping in the world. That is a fact. From their point of view, disintegration of the European Union into its component states would be a far better proposition than discussing with the EU as a grouping - that is just common sense; which is why the US and others are pushing bilateralism (and the US sub-national diplomacy well) which are reflective of their interest. It is not bad for India either, as a matter of fact. The ending of Russia through "overextending" & "unbalancing" and "weakening" it has been pushed by the US government backed RAND (more than once) as well by Secretary Austin; not to mention that it is basically a primary thesis in Brzezinski's book the Grand Chessboard (specifically using Ukraine). Kissinger, as another matter of act, has been against it and has spoken out against American policy on Ukraine since the war started.

The more you view things through this prism, it becomes clearer that the US (post-cold war & post 9-11) has begun to don the mantle of the imperial British style of dealing with the world; clearly visible in Yugoslavia, Syria, Libya, Afghanistan (in particular - right up to the compromise with the Taliban, a particularly British style - I suspect, like the British, they will be back as well). Another fact is that the US/UK combined have some 850 plus military bases worldwide. The rest of the world combined have a fraction of that.

But of course this is a viewpoint, predictive analysis, one might say. The only thing that will settle it in truth is the course of events, i.e. whether they play out as predicted. We shall see.
There's a lot between the Anglosphere being the largest economic grouping and explicit aims of disintegration of the EU. The former is indisputable fact, the latter has very little to back it up. In any country there are people who voice and publish all sorts of opinions. That a democracy (whether it be India or the anglosphere) has resorted to a strategy is usually very apparent - as a part of building consensus internally, the establishment gives voice to different opinions, has debates and builds consensus. There is very little to show that the disintegration of the EU is one of the goals of the US or anyone in the anglosphere. In fact, more EU participation in NATO and taking up more responsibility for the defense of western europe is a stated US goal. That in itself requires the EU to not disintegrate.
>>A large number of those that are harping about the perfidy of the US/EU, actually live there.

I'm not sure what the insinuation here is (if it is addressed to me as I have European citizenship), presumably that anyone who criticises the US/EU is biting the hand that feeds them?
Definitely not you personally or at your post. Wasn't aware or concerned about your nationality. In general though, why should the Ukrainians or the eastern europeans be criticized for joining or wanting to join a common market that Indians are making a beeline for ? It was directed at the extraordinary amount of angst at the perfidy of the Ukrainians as if they're somehow required to want nothing more than accommodate Russian security interests. Or the EU which is supposed to be some sort of puppet whose strings are being pulled in the anglosphere against its own interests, which is what Russia was always advocating for. Hilarious if you ask me. This part wasn't to your post specifically.
In any case, there is no criticism of the European countries in my post; in fact the continental EU states are the primary victims from the economic point of view so far, more than even the Russians - Germany in particular.
Victims of what exactly ? Profiting hand over fist from a global financial and trading regime underwritten largely by US money ?
There is far more dissent with what governments in the EU, and especially the bureaucrats of the European Commission (von der Leyen, Michel and so on), are doing and saying that it appears to be on mainstream media. Far more. One of the reasons why people are electing far right parties is because they are worried about what will happen, when the economies go south, with the large immigrant populations in their countries. (This is a lot of hearsay admittedly, but I consider these concerns valid enough - having lived there much of my life). You'll never hear of it in the media though.
RW populism is definitely in the news. Concern over immigrants is in the news. The globalization project worked well for 30 years after the wall went down. Clearly it's in trouble. 40 years of cold war for western europe and 30 years hence to include more of the world is a pretty good run of low conflict and prosperity. Unparalleled in fact.
Nobody in Europe will say that Putin was right, in fact the contrary. But very few think he woke up on Feb. 24 and decided to invade Ukraine on a whim. They know there's a backstory. As more and more facts come to light...

1. NATO has been training Ukrainians to the level of interoperability at least since 2014, having said that it will become a member in 2014 - despite having known that Georgia & Ukraine were the final red lines - and despite Russia having swallowed the admission of 14 other countries post 1991;
2. The Ukrainians are perhaps more Nazi than they thought; Poroshenko's famous speech (a snippet of it in Anne Laure Bonnel's documentary "Donbass" (2016) is enough;
3. The plan to instigate war in Ukraine was disclosed by Zelensky's advisor Arestovic in a 2019 interview (in ridiculous detail) - it's on youtube.
4. There is strong circumstantial evidence that the "Nazi" elements in Ukraine were nurtured and revived in the late 1990s precisely for the purpose that they were used for (a European version of the Afghan mujahedin used against the Soviets - the eastern beartrap model used in the west). It is instructive in this context to look at the evolution of Reinhard Gehlen's organization, its use during the Cold War, and its revival in the late 1990s (not sure of the years, could have been mid-1990s), and the association with Stepan Bandera. There's a straight line from Gehlen to the likes of Oleh Tyannibok, with parts of the line being dashed when the people involved were briefly out of commission.
The claims of Ukrainians being nazi, on this forum, is rofl hilarious. Right wing nationalism is somehow unacceptable now ? What are everyone except Indians supposed to be - secular ? The whole Russia had its back to the wall is nice story, but just that.

NATO expansion was driven primarily by eastern european countries that want to have _NOTHING_ to do with the Russia. NATO also had literally no capacity in theater to wage an offensive war. Russia was under no threat. The state of defenses of the most capable NATO country is a matter of public fact - no need for any deep interpretation of strategic aims by reading the tea leaves there.

Russia could've created the conditions required for them to be more comfortable with it. Germany did. The fact that it spent roughly USD 60bln a year for decades and yet having its armed forces being routed on the battlefield by its former satellite is telling. Russia is run by a corrupt oligarchy that feeds on victimhood. It wants to have a say on the political posture of its neighbouring countries but doesn't have the capacity to do so. It's essentially a very large Pakistan. Ironic how much time is spent bellyaching about Pakistan's army owning the state and not seeing a clear parallel between that behaviour and that of Putin's Russia.
...this is trickling down into the populations of the EU. And it is not good for the US. Especially at a time when they could have turned Russia into a partner of sorts, creating a vested interest in European stability. I have yet to see an answer anywhere to this question: what was wrong with the US providing military security to Europe while Russia provided energy security, creating a vested interest among both parties in EU stability and prosperity? This was the basic strategy behind Germany's approach to Russia (a sort of diluted Marshall Plan approach by the EU victor of the Cold War towards the defeated Moscow) to build the Nordstream 2 line. This line was requested by Germany. Now it is blown up. Interesting times ahead.
Germany did try very hard to do business with Russia, that's why it went ahead and built an energy relationship with Russia against US warnings. Not to mention let is defense preparedness lapse into non-existence. Russia wanting to invade and dismember a country in Europe is what went wrong. The Europeans are not willing to put up with that behaviour. Russian redlines are all very well, but it does not have the capacity to assuage the threat/insecurity its neighbours feel, politically and economically. Neither does it have the capacity, as is being demonstrated clearly, to have its way militarily.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Well, the US just made sure that Germany does not "break away" from the ranks in its desperation for cheap gas
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Gazprom says it will resume gas exports to Italy via Austria https://www.cnbctv18.com/world/gazprom- ... 873651.htm
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

What is hilarious is the fact that the history of Neo Nazis in Ukraine is getting whitewashed.

Hint,

Right sector.

Azov Batallion.

C 14.

The Ukrainian state has used these groups to conduct progroms against ethnic minorities within the state.

But because Russians bad, Ukraine good.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Pratyush wrote:What is hilarious is the fact that the history of Neo Nazis in Ukraine is getting whitewashed.

Hint,

Right sector.

Azov Batallion.

C 14.

The Ukrainian state has used these groups to conduct progroms against ethnic minorities within the state.

But because Russians bad, Ukraine good.
here former President of Ukraine is boasting how they discriminate against Russians https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/15 ... uNpTvuMNWQ

After Elon Must posted for peace he was battered by NATO bots on twitter, so he had to do it the other way round

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/157 ... uNpTvuMNWQ Let’s try this then: the will of the people who live in the Donbas & Crimea should decide whether they’re part of Russia or Ukraine
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

here a minister of Ukraine is threatening Elon who provided them with internet https://twitter.com/arestovych/status/1 ... uNpTvuMNWQ
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

swRe: Russian-Ukranian War: Geopolitical Fallout

Post by Cyrano »

KrishnaK saar,
Lots of factual omissions and inaccuracies regarding Ukraine's history, ethnic composition, events since 2014 and how Russia reacted to each of those events especially the recent ones. You may want to browse this thread from the beginning and it's previous avatar in the archives.

There is an excellent interview from a few weeks ago of Retd Col Jacques Baud, a Swiss intelligence officer who worked closely with US and NATO and has been in Ukraine as well in English on YouTube. One of the most neutral but frank assessments out there. Suggest you watch that.

BTW, on your point about universal prosperity under the US umbrella for the past 3 decades, it's true. But so is the fact that US national debt hit 31 trillions today. There is a lot to consider behind this one fact.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Ukranian Govt itself maintains a public website with kill lists naming people who are considered as enemies of Ukraine, and provides personal details along with their address, family members including children etc. Right wing groups maintain their own websites of similar nature.
Russians, Ukrainians, Americans including senator Rand Paul, Tucker Carlson, journalists from all over the world who don't peddle Kiev's lies etc etc are on those kill lists.

Some of these websites domains resolve to the set of IP addresses allocated to NATO !

So when I hear that everyone must support Ukraine in the name of democracy, human rights etc, it makes me want to throw up.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Op-ed in Indian Express today by a Ukrainan based in London

Dear Indian friends, don’t end up on the wrong side of history — A letter from a Russian-speaking Ukrainian
https://indianexpress.com/article/opini ... r-8189659/
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Cyrano wrote:Op-ed in Indian Express today by a Ukrainan based in London

Dear Indian friends, don’t end up on the wrong side of history — A letter from a Russian-speaking Ukrainian
https://indianexpress.com/article/opini ... r-8189659/
Nice one-sided rant., one is reminded of the westernised "holier than thou" Indians who are eager to show their "western" credentials. The author seems to have a cushy job at the kings., a nice cover for "his majesty's service"
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Equating Stephan Bandera with Subhash Chandra Bose was a big mistake. Apart from I'm snow white stance.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Biden is under impression, Ukraine war has hugely bolstered his image so he will run again https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white- ... -rcna50556
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

India's Modi says ready to contribute to peace efforts in Ukraine

NEWDELHI – India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday told Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy that his country is ready to contribute to peace efforts in the ongoing conflict with Russia that has raged for seven months.

“He expressed his firm conviction that there can be no military solution to the conflict and conveyed India’s readiness to contribute to any peace efforts,” the Indian prime minister’s office said in a statement after a telephone conversation between Modi and Zelenskiy.

India is articulating its position against the Ukraine war more robustly to counter criticism that it is soft on Russia, but it still has neither held Moscow responsible for the invasion nor altered its policy on importing cheap Russian oil and coal. Russia invaded Ukraine on Feb. 24.

The “Prime Minister emphasized the importance India attaches to the safety and security of nuclear installations, including in Ukraine,” the statement said.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

not correct depiction, that Kejriwal Z will survive while Europe drowns, in Titanic hero dies for the woman here it is other way round.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

[quote="Cyrano"]Op-ed in Indian Express today by a Ukrainan based in London

https://indianexpress.com/article/opini ... r-8189659/[/quot

Calling herself `Russian speaking Ukrainian' is misleading, as all Ukrainians speak Russian - many better than they speak Ukrainian.
In the first round of elections Zelensky won only 30% of the vote (on a platform of peace with Russia), he won 72% in the run-off, because his
opponent was the discredited Porschenko. Donbass boycotted the election.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

US furious after OPEC+ decide to cut down oil production by 2 million barrels/day. Threatens Saudi with action.
Members of Opec+ - a group that includes Saudi Arabia and Russia - said they would slash production by two million barrels per day https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63149044
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.ft.com/content/64d35a40-514 ... b88c9d0ad5 White House accuses Opec+ of aligning with Russia
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

IndraD wrote:US furious after OPEC+ decide to cut down oil production by 2 million barrels/day. Threatens Saudi with action.
Members of Opec+ - a group that includes Saudi Arabia and Russia - said they would slash production by two million barrels per day https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63149044
IF Putin is dethroned, then MBS does not stand a chance.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

NRao wrote:
IndraD wrote:US furious after OPEC+ decide to cut down oil production by 2 million barrels/day. Threatens Saudi with action.
IF Putin is dethroned, then MBS does not stand a chance.
Also NKs Kim. , Iran , Venezuela's Maduro . India itself is not too far away.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

As long as its in USD the US will do .nothing, after all it bankrolls their economy.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

I noticed that the OPEC produced roughly 30 million barrels per day of crude in August 2019 when there was no talk of production cuts. In August 22, the latest month for which data is available the output is 30 million barrels per day. So what was all this talk of production cuts post Covid about? I suspect the Arab States talk of production cuts blithely because Venezeula (a biggie before the sanctions)' is practically out of the oil market. Libya Iran and the eternal problem child of OPEC Nigeria have their production issues. It is fair to say that everyone has been producing to their maximum level without unduly stressing the market. So a question arises: Don't the market players not know this? Of course they do. But the problem is everyone is conditioned to react in Pavlovian way. Bid prices up if OPEC announced output cut or if US stockpile is lower than before etc. or whatever 100 other reasons that market players have been conditioned to respond in a particular way. If others bid up prices and you don't, you look like fool, is how the average trader Joe, reasons. More so when it is not your own money but that of someone's pension corpus or retirement savings. It is amazing how much risk you can take on other people's money.
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

While France was busy supporting Ukies, russ allegedly seems to have pulled a color revolution in Burkina Faso, oui oui

https://amp.france24.com/en/africa/2022 ... iation-bid
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

https://worldview.stratfor.com/article/ ... es-offense

OPEC+'s new oil production cuts expose the growing political faultline between Saudi Arabia and the United States, and send a political message that the bloc is rejecting the concept of Western-imposed price caps. The 24 members of OPEC+ agreed on Oct. 5 to cut their production target by 2.0 million barrels per day (bpd) through December 2023, marking the bloc's largest production cut since April 2020. In addition, all OPEC+ members agreed to extend their cooperation pact, which previously expired at the end of 2022, through the end of 2023. They also agreed that their monitoring committee will meet every two months, while OPEC+ more broadly will meet every six months, slowing down the bloc's monthly cadence.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Gungadeen Ro Khanna lashes out at Saudi asks Biden to teach them a lesson-CNN
It’s outrageous. The Saudis need to be dealt with harshly,” said Khanna, a progressive who has been a tough critic of the kingdom’s humanitarian track record. “They are a third-rate power. We are the most powerful country in the world. I don’t know why we kowtow to them.”

Specifically, Khanna called on US President Joe Biden to make it clear to Saudi Arabia that the United States will cut off the kingdom’s aviation parts supply and prevent Raytheon and Boeing from selling to them.

Khanna, who chairs the House subcommittee on the environment, said OPEC production cuts will strengthen Russia and Vladimir Putin and weigh on consumers in the United States and Europe.

“They are not our allies,” Khanna said of Saudi Arabia. “They are hurting the American people. And we need to be tough with them. The president needs to make it clear we will cut off their supply. We could ground their air force in a day.”

The Saudi embassy to the United States did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A White House spokesperson declined to comment on what OPEC+ may or may not do, noting the United States is not a party to the producer group.

“Our focus has been on taking every step to ensure markets are sufficiently supplied to meet demand for a growing global economy. Thanks to the President’s efforts, energy prices have declined sharply from their highs and American consumers are paying far less at the pump,” the White House spokesperson said.

Indeed, oil prices have plunged in recent months for a variety of reasons, including the Biden administration’s unprecedented release of emergency oil, recession fears and fewer disruptions to Russia’s oil flows than feared.

Oil prices have tumbled so much that some analysts expect OPEC+ to respond by coming to the rescue with sharp production cuts this week. Such a move could lift prices at the gas pump.

Pipework at the Etzel ESE natural gas storage facility, operated by Uniper Energy Storage GmbH, a unit of Uniper SE, in Etzel, Germany, on Wednesday, Sept. 7, 2022. The European Union is throwing together a series of radical plans to tame runaway energy prices and keep the lights on across the continent, but governments across the region are going to need to find common ground and fast. Photographer: Krisztian Bocsi/Bloomberg via Getty Images
Germany nationalizes its biggest natural gas importer
Gasoline prices have stopped sinking, with the national average for a gallon of regular rising by 13 cents over the past two weeks.

In California, gas prices are nearing record highs. A gallon of regular now sells for an average of $6.38 in the state, up 58 cents in the past week and $1.13 in the past month, according to AAA. The record high for California was set in June at $6.44 a gallon.

“I’m very concerned,” Khanna said, referring to the near-record price of gasoline in his state. “I’ve been hearing almost nonstop for the past nine months from my constituents about how much gas is.”

The Democrat criticized Biden’s shifting stance on Saudi Arabia, noting he opposed the president’s visit to the kingdom over the summer. Khanna said he wishes Biden would follow through on his campaign promise to make Saudi Arabia a “pariah state.”

Khanna argued the United States has considerable leverage over Saudi Arabia and is not nearly as dependent on the kingdom as it was decades ago.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

nandakumar wrote: I noticed that the OPEC produced roughly 30 million barrels per day of crude in August 2019 when there was no talk of production cuts. In August 22, the latest month for which data is available the output is 30 million barrels per day. So what was all this talk of production cuts post Covid about?
That's correct. The high oil prices are the fault of the West (particularly Oil lobby in the US and Canada). Due to sanctions, Venezuela's oil exports have fallen from 1.9 mbd to 0.5 mbd. Iran has fallen from 2 million to 0.7 mbd. Add another 0.4 mbd drop in Libyan exports due to a West created civil war, giving a total drop of 3.1 Million barrels / day. That drop in output could partly be handled because of a fall in demand related to Covid and because, as you mention, other exporters sold more by depleting their reserves (at a lower price per barrel).
If the West wants lower oil prices, they should simply let more Iranian and Venezuelan oil into the market.

Oil prices are also more volatile because of speculative investing like commodity futures.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Deans wrote:
nandakumar wrote: I noticed that the OPEC produced roughly 30 million barrels per day of crude in August 2019 when there was no talk of production cuts. In August 22, the latest month for which data is available the output is 30 million barrels per day. So what was all this talk of production cuts post Covid about?
That's correct. The high oil prices are the fault of the West (particularly Oil lobby in the US and Canada). Due to sanctions, Venezuela's oil exports have fallen from 1.9 mbd to 0.5 mbd. Iran has fallen from 2 million to 0.7 mbd. Add another 0.4 mbd drop in Libyan exports due to a West created civil war, giving a total drop of 3.1 Million barrels / day. That drop in output could partly be handled because of a fall in demand related to Covid and because, as you mention, other exporters sold more by depleting their reserves (at a lower price per barrel).
If the West wants lower oil prices, they should simply let more Iranian and Venezuelan oil into the market.

Oil prices are also more volatile because of speculative investing like commodity futures.
Remember , this is exactly what India said if the west want us to reduce Russian oil imports., but there is a bigger picture here., the anglosphere seems to reeling in major oil producers and curtailing some of them , so they can be dealt with later., Iran and Venezuela are the biggest.They want to deal Russia first., letting Iran and Venezuela out of their cages would mean their hold weakening ., not going to happen.
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Russia ready to send gas to Europe via Nord Stream 2 — Moscow

https://www.rt.com/business/564148-nova ... es-europe/
6 Oct, 2022
Russia is able to supply gas to Europe through a string of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline that that was not damaged by the recent explosions, according to Deputy Prime Minister Aleksander Novak. Unfortunately, due to sabotage, one string [of Nord Stream 2] was damaged, and an examination is required to make further decisions on the fate of the string. “As for the second string, it is ready, fully built, and if the necessary legal decisions are made by our European colleagues regarding the certification and removal of restrictions, I think Russia could provide appropriate supplies through this string of the gas pipeline in a short time,” he said.

The Nord Stream 1 and Nord Stream 2 pipelines abruptly lost pressure on September 26, following a series of powerful underwater explosions off the Danish island of Bornholm. The incident caused massive gas leaks, with large volumes entering the sea. The ruptures are widely considered to be the result of sabotage, carried out by an unknown party.
ritesh
BRFite

Post by ritesh »

IndraD wrote:Gazprom says it will resume gas exports to Italy via Austria https://www.cnbctv18.com/world/gazprom- ... 873651.htm
An interesting article on the Nord stream explosion
https://www.jonathan-cook.net/blog/2022 ... ne-blasts/
Can Europe afford to turn a blind eye to evidence of a US role in pipeline blasts?
6 October 2022

If Washington was involved, it would mark a dangerous new stage not only in the Ukraine war but in Europe’s acceptance of vassal status

Pretty long article...