Russian-Ukranian War: Geopolitical Fallout

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Parasu
BRFite

Re: Russian-Ukranian War: Geopolitical Fallout

Post by Parasu »

NRao wrote:I happened to hear parts of Putin's speech on New Year's day.

Essentially declared Russia is going it alone and that Russia is ready for the clean cut from the West. And, that the collective West is the enemy.
Easier said than done.
Nine out of ten Russians see themselves as European and want to study/visit/settle in Europe rather than Asia.
Nihat
BRFite

Post by Nihat »

Parasu wrote:

Essentially declared Russia is going it alone and that Russia is ready for the clean cut from the West. And, that the collective West is the enemy.
Easier said than done.
Nine out of ten Russians see themselves as European and want to study/visit/settle in Europe rather than Asia.
And where might that statistic be coming from.

Putin has been more than a little delusional in this time but I'm not sure what kind of direction he now envisages for Russia, going forward.

Depending on a slowing China is hardly a prudent strategy. Energy decoupling from Europe is also a dangerous proposition and honestly even our government will feel that we have far more to gain from the collective west in terms of economy, trade abs technology, than we have from Russia.

I'd really like to hear some scenarios from the folks on the forum as to where they reckon Russia as a country is headed
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

The Economist:
What next for Russia?
The country risks becoming ungovernable and descending into chaos

There is growing concern about Russia’s own ability to survive the war

WHEN RUSSIA’S president, Vladimir Putin, invaded Ukraine on February 24th 2022, he set out to grab territory, deprive it of sovereignty, wipe out the very idea of its national identity and turn what remained of it into a failed state. After months of Ukraine’s fierce resistance, its statehood and its identity are stronger than ever, and all the things that Mr Putin had intended to inflict on Ukraine are afflicting his own country.

Mr Putin’s war is turning Russia into a failed state, with uncontrolled borders, private military formations, a fleeing population, moral decay and the possibility of civil conflict. And though confidence among Western leaders in Ukraine’s ability to withstand Mr Putin’s terror has gone up, there is growing concern about Russia’s own ability to survive the war. It could become ungovernable and descend into chaos.

Consider its borders. Russia’s absurd and illegal annexation of four regions of Ukraine—Kherson, Donetsk, Luhansk and Zaporizhia—before it could even establish full control over them, makes it a state with illegitimate territories and a fluid frontier. “The Russian Federation as we know it is self-liquidating and passing into a failed-state phase,” says Ekaterina Schulmann, a political scientist. Its administration, she notes, is unable to carry out its basic functions.The annexation will not deter Ukrainian forces, but it will create precedents for Russia’s own restive regions, including the north Caucasus republics, which are likely to head for the exit if the central government starts loosening its grip.

Another feature of a failing state is a loss of monopoly on the use of physical force. Private armies and mercenaries, although officially banned in Russia, are flourishing. Evgeny Prigozhin, a former convict nicknamed “Putin’s chef” and a front man for the Wagner Group, a private mercenary operation, has been openly recruiting prisoners and offering them pardons in exchange for joining his forces. Wagner, he says, has no desire to be “legalised” or integrated into the armed forces. The same could be said of the force controlled by Ramzan Kadyrov, a Chechen former warlord and now Chechnya’s president. Even Russia’s government security agencies are increasingly serving their own corporate interests.

The Russian state is failing in the most basic function of all. Far from protecting the lives of its people, it poses the biggest threat to them, by using them as cannon fodder. On September 21st, faced with military defeat on the battleground in Ukraine, Mr Putin ordered a mobilisation of some 300,000 people. Ill trained and ill equipped, their only function is to stand in the way of the advance of the Ukrainian forces. Many are unlikely to be alive this time next year.

The mobilisation caused a shock in Russia far greater than the beginning of the war itself. Some of its effects are already visible: recruitment centres were set ablaze, and at least 300,000 people fled abroad (on top of the 300,000 who left in the first weeks of the war). Most of them are young, educated and resourceful. The full impact of their departure on the country’s economy and demographics is yet to show, but social tension is rising.

While urbanites flee, tens of thousands of their poorer compatriots are being rounded up and sent into the trenches. By bringing his “special military operation” home Mr Putin has broken the fragile consensus under which people agreed not to protest against the war in exchange for being left alone. Now they are being told to fight and die for the sake of his regime.

Mr Putin cannot win, but he cannot afford to end the conflict either. He may hope that by making so many people collude in his war, and subjecting them to more of his poisonous, fascist propaganda, he will be able to drag things out. Whether he succeeds, or whether the flow of body bags, coupled with the discontent of the elite, results in his downfall, will determine how many more people will die and how far Russia falls.

As Alexei Navalny, Russia’s jailed opposition leader, said in one of his court hearings: “We have not been able to prevent the catastrophe and we are no longer sliding, but flying into it. The only question will be how hard Russia will hit that bottom and whether it will fall apart.” The coming year will give some indication of an answer to that grim question.

Arkady Ostrovsky, Russia editor, The Economist
dnivas
BRFite

Post by dnivas »

Options for Russia if west wins, is another yeltsin. Everyone knows how bad Russia was during those years. Economist, BBC and others are just scam artists parroting bluster.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Talking of scams, this one is quite interesting. It may be that President Putin or his security team don’t feel comfortable around ordinary Russian people:

Speculation Swirls as Putin Accused of Using Same Woman in Multiple Photos
Speculation and mockery abounded on social media after an eagle-eyed journalist spotted what appeared to be the same woman playing different roles in photos with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The oddity was first highlighted on Twitter Saturday morning by London-based Belarussian journalist, Tadeusz Giczan. In his post, Giczan shared three photos of Putin standing among various different crowds which included a line-up of soldiers, sailors on a boat, and worshippers attending some sort of religious service.

Kyiv Post correspondent Jason Jay Smart gave further context to the various photos, noting that the image with the line-up of "soldiers" was from Putin's New Year's Eve address and that the photo with the worshippers was from his Easter address earlier in the year. Echoing Ward's post, he also referred to the woman as an "actor," and also claimed that she and the others were most likely rounded up from Putin's security detail.

"As one would expect: Putin's New Year's Eve address did not even use real soldier, but actors (that is - people rounded-up from the Presidential Protection Office)," Smart wrote. "The blonde woman can also be seen in his Easter address. He's as fake as the value of the Ruble."
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Parasu wrote:

Easier said than done.
I think the more pertinent question - under the present circumstances - is do Russians feel that the existence of Russia (the nation and culture and ....) itself is threatened.

BTW< just googled and found around 900,000 Russians have left Russia to date.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

From the UKR/RU strategy thread:
YashG wrote:One enemy less today is better than two weak tomorrow

minus russia today > russia + china weak tomorrow

West today prefers this even at the expense of likelihood of russia becoming subservient to China. Because before Russia goes kaput - it will simply allow Xi a deal he can not refuse. Since west is not facing direct wrath from China they are focusing more on Russia just like they didnt focus on terrorism till it didnt come to their home. India faces china today.
You are giving the Neocons toooooooo much intellectual capability.

See if you can get hold of While America Sleeps: Self-Delusion, Military Weakness, and the Threat to Peace Today Paperback. Written in 2000/01 they write as though the world is coming to an end.

They are more than willing to pick a fight with anyone and everyone.

Madeleine Albright was another gung-ho Neocon. Remembering Powell’s revealing exchange with Madeleine Albright
Possibly the most notable moment and one that best encapsulates the “Powell Doctrine” is this extraordinarily tense exchange with Madeleine Albright, then Secretary of State, over whether the Clinton administration should authorize NATO airstrikes on Bosnia in 1993.

“My constant, unwelcome message at all the meetings on Bosnia was simply that we could not commit military forces until we had a clear political objective,” Powell wrote in his memoir, “My American Journey.” Albright, he wrote, “asked me, ‘What’s the point of having this superb military that you’re always talking about if we can’t use it?’ I thought I would have an aneurysm.

Powell also said Albright, who once said the death of 500,000 Iraqi children due to U.S. sanctions was “worth it,” was treating American GIs as “toy soldiers to be moved around on some global chessboard.”
Neocons are all about "using military", for every problem.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

NRao wrote:Neocons are all about "using military", for every problem
When will the American people and the collective West realize that they are headed to disaster with this attitude ?

America has not won a war since WW2, their track record is one of failure and incompetence, the average westerner is totally oblivious to the long record of defeat and is convinced of their superiority, the media broadcasts what is basically propaganda and the public laps it up.

As much as I like America and Americans, they have gone astray. I used to think it was some sort of innocence about the world and their place in it.
Not to sure now, I think it is christian arrogance.

They have created a schism in the world and I really do not think it can be repaired.
Last edited by Haresh on 04 Jan 2023 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
bala
BRF Oldie

Post by bala »

Germany wants to seize frozen Russian Assets
The EU and G7 froze some €300 billion ($311 billion) in reserves belonging to the Russian central bank, along with billions in assets owned by sanctioned Russian businessmen. European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen earlier said the EU would “find legal ways” to seize Russian assets to use in Ukraine.
But...

Russia’s pipeline operator Transneft received orders for crude oil purchases from both Germany and Poland, despite the two countries pledging not to buy Russian oil transported via Druzhba, according to CEO Nikolay Tokarev

Serbia meanwhile revoked the status of Kosovo.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

@Haresh,

FYI

An hour old video. 12 minutes long

IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Poland asks Germany to pay $1.4T in reparations or else it will go to UN

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/po ... 023-01-03/
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

US tax payer's money to Ukraine in limbo for now as speaker seat remains undecided https://www.defensenews.com/congress/20 ... t-ukraine/
Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., failed for the fourth time on Wednesday to secure enough votes to become speaker of the House, as his right-wing opponents wielded their opposition to U.S. aid for Ukraine as part of their justification for voting against him.

Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, nominated fellow Republican Rep. Byron Donalds, R-Fla., for speaker against McCarthy, arguing the House needs changes to the leadership and rules in order to increase congressional debate over the billions of dollars in aid that the U.S. has been sending to Ukraine.

The deadlock over speaker illustrates how difficult it could be for President Joe Biden to rely on Congress if he needs to provide Ukraine with additional military aid this year, even as the bipartisan majority of Republicans and Democrats support the assistance for Kyiv.

“We should be in here having this kind of a conversation with this many people in the room about Ukraine,” Roy said on the House floor while nominating Donalds.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

A live, taja Neocon comment:

Biden, yesterday, in Kentucky, in the presence of Kentucky Senator and Republican leader Mitch McConnell

Biden stumps Twitter users over 'neighborhood phrase': What the hell did he say?
"Our best days are ahead of us. And I mean this from the bottom of my heart. I've been doing this a long time, folks. Our best days are ahead of us. Are not behind us. I've long said. I mean, this. I have never, ever, ever been more optimistic about America's prospects. And am today. Never. Never. I've traveled over 140 countries around the world. I was the paraphrase the phrase in my old neighborhood. The rest of the countries the world is not a patch in our jeans. If we do what we want to do, we need to do," Biden said.
That is a classic Neocon mentality: we will do what we want to do.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

This AM, Macgregor claimed a French contact said that France has 4/5 days of war reserves!!!!!! (source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBhZZFpgV_s). Knocked me off my chair.

Question: Does anyone know where one can get as reliable as possible war reserve data by nation?
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Recently retired French generals have broken omerta and said France munition reserves can't last more than a week in a conventional war situation like we are witnessing in Ukraine.

It has created some flutter but nothing more given decades of demilitarised mindset of French people who trust more in an inefficient EU structure and the interdependence it creates as a safety and security mechanism than robust national militaries. Can't blame them for not trusting themselves too much, it's easier to produce bureaucrats for the former than wise statesmen required to weild the latter.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

but but France is gung ho and sending military supplies to YouCrane https://www.ft.com/content/df87839b-a7c ... 225b7b8148

France to send ‘tank killer’ armoured vehicles to Ukraine

if true that Eu countries are not prepared to take on Russia why not escalate war into Eu with missiles!?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

IndraD wrote:but but France is gung ho and sending military supplies to YouCrane https://www.ft.com/content/df87839b-a7c ... 225b7b8148

France to send ‘tank killer’ armoured vehicles to Ukraine

if true that Eu countries are not prepared to take on Russia why not escalate war into Eu with missiles!?
* There are pictures of them in Kieve!!

* Meanwhile Germany is close to sending their (older?) Leopards.

Germany had said they will not be the first to send tanks to UKR. Now that France has sent light tanks, Germany now has to stick to their words.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

On a totally unrelated topic, Hillary Rodham Clinton to Join the Columbia Community.
The former U.S. Secretary of State will hold two appointments as a professor of practice at the School of International and Public Affairs and a presidential fellow at Columbia World Projects.
My understanding that she will be teach a course titled "Regime Change through Color Revolutions". :-?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Japan minister calls for new world order to counter rise of authoritarian regimes
WASHINGTON – Japan’s trade and industry minister said on Thursday that post-Cold War free trade and economic inter-dependence had bolstered authoritarian regimes, and the United States and like-minded democracies should counter them with a “new world order”.

“Authoritarian countries have amassed tremendous power, both economically and militarily,” Economy, Trade and Industry Minister Yasutoshi Nishimura said in a speech at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies in Washington.

“We must rebuild a world order based on the fundamental values of freedom, democracy, human rights and the rule of law,” he added.

Mr Nishimura spoke ahead of a visit to Washington next week by Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida for talks expected to cover issues including Ukraine, North Korea and China’s tensions with Taiwan. That summit will be preceded by talks between defence and foreign ministers of the two countries.

Mr Kishida said this week he would discuss Tokyo’s new security policy after Washington’s key ally in countering China’s growing might in Asia last month unveiled its biggest military build-up since World War II.

Mr Nishimura’s call to arms comes amid growing concern – after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine – that Beijing and Moscow will use their control over energy resources and sway over manufacturing supply chains to stop the US, Japan, Europe and others from opposing their diplomatic and military goals.

Leaders from the Group of Seven industrialised nations are likely to discuss how to respond to economic coercion when they meet in May in the Japanese city of Hiroshima, Mr Nishimura said.

“We might need to make preparations to identify the choke points of countries wanting to engage in coercion and then take countermeasures if necessary,” he said.

Mr Nishimura warned that democracies need to protect their industrial power and guard against the loss of technologies, particularly those that could be diverted to military use.

He urged that US-Japan cooperation extend beyond semiconductors to biotechnology, artificial intelligence and quantum science.

He also promised to work more closely with Washington on export controls, although he did not say whether Tokyo would match the sweeping restriction on exports of chip manufacturing equipment imposed by US President Joe Biden’s administration in October.

“It is... absolutely imperative for us to reinforce our cooperation in the area of export controls,” he said. “We will implement strict export controls grounded in international cooperation while engaging closely in the exchange of views with the US and other relevant countries.”

Mr Nishimura met US Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo ahead of his speech. A Commerce Department statement said they discussed the importance of working together on research and development and export controls.

The statement said they were joined by executives from IBM and Japan’s Rapidus Corp, who shared an overview of their collaboration on semiconductor R&D.

The Biden administration said in October it planned to ink a deal with allies in the near term to align them with sweeping new US rules curbing China’s access to sophisticated chipmaking tools in a bid to slow its technological and military advances.

Mr Nishimura is to meet US Trade Representative Katherine Tai on Friday to sign a memorandum for the launch of a task force to promote human rights and international labour standards in supply chains, the US Trade Department said.

Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper cited Japanese officials as saying that the move was spurred by issues such as alleged forced labour of minority Muslims in China’s Xinjiang region. The new body will aim to promulgate within Japan the regulations that Washington has strengthened to tackle such problems. REUTERS

IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Putin's War Plan Reaching 'Critical Moment'—Ukraine Ambassador
https://www.newsweek.com/putins-war-pla ... or-1771840

"We've been in the war for almost a year now," Prystaiko said. "We're losing people left and right. We're not advertising how many of those lost are military or civilians, but you can imagine that numbers are huge, indigestible. And the cities, some of them are totally destroyed."
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

An admission:

Ukraine on ‘NATO mission’ – defense minister
Kiev is shedding blood to carry out the mission NATO set for itself and expects the “civilized West” to provide weapons and ammunition in return, Ukrainian Defense Minister Aleksey Reznikov has said in an interview for a domestic TV channel.

Appearing on the 1+1 network’s TSN channel on Thursday evening, Reznikov pointed out that at the Madrid summit last summer, NATO declared Russia the greatest threat to the US-led bloc.

“Today, Ukraine is addressing that threat. We’re carrying out NATO’s mission today, without shedding their blood. We shed our blood, so we expect them to provide weapons,” he said.

Reznikov also claimed that his NATO colleagues have told him, both in conversations and via text messages, that Ukraine is the “shield of civilization” and “defending the entire civilized world, the entire West.”

Ukrainian officials, from President Vladimir Zelensky down, routinely make public appeals for tanks, missiles, artillery and ammunition. Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu told the General Staff in December that Moscow was de facto fighting the collective West. By his estimates, the government in Kiev has received almost $100 billion worth of weapons, ammunition and other supplies in 2022 alone.

Reznikov has led that effort, boasting to the US outlet Politico in October that he had figured out the Pentagon’s political process. His goal, he said, was to keep raising the bar until Ukraine received main battle tanks.

While that particular threshold has yet to be crossed, on Friday Washington announced the delivery of 50 Bradley infantry fighting vehicles, the most modern armor sent to Kiev so far, as part of a $3 billion weapons package. Earlier this week, France pledged a number of wheeled ‘light tanks’ as well.

These shipments are intended to replace Ukraine’s battlefield losses. Last month, Kiev’s top general Valery Zaluzhny told The Economist he would need 300 more tanks, up to 700 infantry fighting vehicles, and 500 howitzers to conduct offensive operations. This is more than the number of such vehicles in British or German inventory.

Moscow insists that Western weapon deliveries only serve to prolong the conflict, and has repeatedly warned Ukraine’s backers that this could result in an all-out military confrontation between Russia and NATO.

Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Reznikov also claimed that his NATO colleagues have told him, both in conversations and via text messages, that Ukraine is the “shield of civilization” and “defending the entire civilized world, the entire West.”
So that's how you fatten a "Bali ka Bakra" :rotfl:
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Japan pontificating while buying Russian oil from Shakalin all the same!
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

NRao wrote:@Haresh,

FYI

An hour old video. 12 minutes long

Thanks, I have actually seen the full length interview. The interesting thing is, the point he makes about media restrictions on Russian channels. The interview you posted is actually on the YouTube channel of an ex MEP Godfrey Bloom who has been described as a racist & sexist. The more restrictions they put on the free discussion of this war from the Anti-war & Russian PoV the more people like Godfrey Bloom will give publicity to Col Douglas MacGregor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godfrey_Bloom

I am in London and I can tell you all, it is as if some sort of madness has taken hold of the entire nation. 20 yrs in afghanistan, 17 in Iraq and they not only lost, but they have learnt nothing. People are talking as if they (USA/UK/NATO) are beating Russia, and they are going to dominate the world, they blame India for buying oil and financing the war, totally oblivious to the fact that it is the EU that buys the most energy from Russia.
In the pubs, on buses/trains/work everyone seems to be deluded.

The Colonel is right, we have no Statesmen, only carbon copy politicians. If any mainstream politican was to speak against western militarism/policies he would be dropped and shunned.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/Chellaney/status/16 ... sKIPujj62A ---> Barely 17 months after suffering a humiliating defeat at the hands of a terrorist militia in Afghanistan, the US and its allies increasingly see the Ukraine war as the redemption of their military reputation and a testament to the superiority of their weapons on the battlefield.

Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Hope these weapons prove to be game changers just like javelins, M777s and HIMARS. And the world will queue up to place orders.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Two British men missing in Ukraine, say official, they were sight seeing in the Donestk region according to MEA UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64214977
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

IndraD wrote:Two British men missing in Ukraine, say official, they were sight seeing in the Donestk region according to MEA UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64214977
Sight Seeing :lol:
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Lordy lordy, cor blimey
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Look at the BBC report again it is an indirect acknowledgment of what happened in Kramatorsk, the men where said to be in Kramatorsk. Clearly it seems some battalions fighting for Ukraine have been wiped out.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Sweden Aims to Reactivate Civil Conscription to Boost Defense https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ify%20wall

similar reports from Germany
RaviB
BRFite

Post by RaviB »

The Chinese have started to signal distance from Russia.
Qin Gang Has a Phone Call with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov
2023-01-09 23:00
On January 9, 2023, Foreign Minister Qin Gang had a phone call at request with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.

Qin Gang said that under the strategic guidance of the two heads of state, the China-Russia comprehensive strategic partnership of coordination for a new era has maintained high-level development, exchanges and cooperation in various fields have been further advanced, and the public support for friendship has been constantly consolidated. [The new three NOs] China-Russia relations are based on non-alliance, non-confrontation and non-targeting of any third party. China is ready to join hands with Russia to follow through on important common understandings reached between the two heads of state and continue to push forward China-Russia relations.

The two sides also exchanged views on the Ukraine crisis. Qin Gang emphasized that China will continue to view and deal with the Ukraine issue under the fundamental guidance of the four points about what must be done and four things the international community must do together put forward by President Xi Jinping. (these are called the four coulds and four shoulds of Xi Jinping thoughts on foreign relations. These are still the same)
https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/gjhdq_ ... 05078.html

The new three NOs: "non-alignment, non-confrontation, and non-targeting of third parties." The previous "three nos" were: there is no limit to Sino-Russian cooperation, no restricted areas, and no upper limit to cooperation.. All this under a new Foreign Minister. I think the Chinese want to distance themselves slowly.

Edit: The previous three NOs on Sino-Russian relations were formulated by the previous foreign minister Le Yucheng at end of 2021. The new ones are by the new FM Qin Gang
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Things are slowly falling apart

Jan 10, 2023 :: G7 seeks two price caps for Russian oil products
The Group of Seven (G7) coalition will seek to set two price caps on Russian refined products in February, one for products trading at a premium to crude oil and the other for those trading at a discount, a G7 official said.

The coalition - which consists of Australia, Canada, Japan and the United States, plus the 27-nation European Union - introduced a $60 per barrel price cap on Russian crude from Dec. 5, on top of the EU embargo on imports of Russian crude by sea.

NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Jan 10, 2023 :: EU to extend sanctions against Belarus and Iran for supporting Russian war against Ukraine, says von der Leyen

This AM, while commenting on this, Alex Christoforou posed the question, "Who next?" and answered it himself: "Turkey, India, China?".
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Y. Kanan wrote:
NRao wrote:India cannot straddle this divide.
Why not? Neutrality has been working brilliantly for us over the last year.
Do you really think either the Americans, EU, or the UK on one side and Russia (and perhaps China) on the other feel India has been impartial/neutral?

Consider a long queue of Americans (Nuland, Dalip Singh, Biden .... Yelen), EU (van der Layen), and finally, Boris Johnson considered India very partial.

Russia on her part has been selling oil at a price to keep India within the Russian orbit. And, has been very busy trying to patch up relations between India and China. Hardly the behavior of a nation that feels India can be impartial.

IMO, neutrality is just an appearance. Once one side gets the upper hand India will dance to their tune - which is what I meant by cannot straddle this divide.

As long as India imports some 70-80% of its energy needs, wants to be a pole, has no economy to talk about (per capita GDP stuck at some 150th - of 194), and a military that cannot throw her weight beyond a restricted area and that too for a few weeks, there is not much India can do, India IMO has only her diplomats to rely on. And, that cannot last for too long in the violent atmosphere of a world reorder.

I have said this before, what is happening today is only the proverbial tip of the iceberg. I fully expect things to get really bad.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/TheLegateIN/status/ ... cZLsms9Beg ---> US becomes top buyer of refined petroleum from India.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

India buys from Russia at a discount. Sells to US at market prices.

India laughs all the way to the bank.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Pratyush wrote:India buys from Russia at a discount. Sells to US at market prices.

I bet US companies armtwist Indian Companies a.k.a reliance to sell at a discount. US corporates , senators and lawmakers make money while Ukrainians sacrifice themselves for the Western cause.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Aditya_V wrote:
Pratyush wrote:India buys from Russia at a discount. Sells to US at market prices.

I bet US companies armtwist Indian Companies a.k.a reliance to sell at a discount. US corporates , senators and lawmakers make money while Ukrainians sacrifice themselves for the Western cause.
Oil: A New Chapter in U.S.-India Relations

Feb 10, 2022 (Pre-Ukraine conflict days)
A new chapter in India-U.S. ties has unfolded nearly unnoticed amidst the COVID pandemic: Petroleum has become the cornerstone of bilateral trade. The trade of crude oil and refined petroleum products now encompasses roughly 15 percent of India-U.S. merchandise trade. The kicker? India is now the largest oil export destination for the United States.[1]

This is a rather new story. The United States only lifted its ban on crude oil exports in 2015, and India only began importing U.S. crude in October 2017, “in an effort to reduce over-reliance” on just a handful of countries. Most of India’s oil majors, including Reliance Industries Limited (RIL), Indian Oil Corp, Bharat Petroleum, and Hindustan Petroleum (HPCL), now buy copious amounts of U.S. crude of varied grades, including light ones like West Texas Intermediate, medium grades like Mars and Poseidon, and ultra-heavy grades that are harder to refine.[2]

Yet, few would have expected India to become the United States’ largest oil export destination so quickly. After all, India was the fifth-largest market for U.S. crude in 2020.