Russian-Ukrainian War: Combat Tactics & Strategy

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
kit
BRF Oldie

Re: Russian-Ukrainian War: Combat Tactics & Strategy

Post by kit »

Parasu wrote:Ukrainian forces are being guided by Anglo saxons who have their own plans.
No withdrawal from cities under threat of encirclement.
This means industrial plants are often last stands, which get completely destroyed. The war is effectively deindustrialising the most industrialised region of Ukraine.
All civilian casualties are those of pro Russian population of Donbass.
Russia will have a tough time funding reconstruction of these destroyed cities even if it wins.
The larger the number of casualties, the deeper the ensuing hostility.
Reconstruction is good business, sir. Where ever it is., especially in foreign countries.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Cyrano wrote:Lots of info black out and disinformation in western MSM. After Macron, Scholz, Draghi went to Kiev to knock some sense into elensly, BoJo landed there in 24hrs and smashed elensly's balls so hard with thick books that elensly and Ukra-een are back to crying give us more weapons and we'll defeat Russia till the last ukr standing line. Any numbers of casualties doesn't matter. Putin's meat grinder is running non-stop.

US, EU, UK military officials have started saying we need 5 - 10 years to replenish the stocks supplied to Ukra-een. Bollocks l'd say.

The west is getting ready for plan B - expecting Ukra-een to resist until Russian arms and ammo stockpiles have dwindled and then expand the war across NATO periphery over Finland, Baltic republics, Moldova...or even Georgia.
This winter as Europeans freeze to death, they will find the needed causus belli and popular support to attack Russia directly.
and i dare say they are inching towards a nuclear war. Stupidity. Putin means exactly what he says. And the Europeans are running into it .. are the Americans and brits giving them false information?
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

kit wrote: and i dare say they are inching towards a nuclear war. Stupidity. Putin means exactly what he says. And the Europeans are running into it .. are the Americans and brits giving them false information?
I think Putin got far more support in Russia once people believed this was a defensive war against NATO expansion - instead of a police action against another Slav country.
Similarly, in the West, once there was no collapse of Russia due to sanctions, or running out of ammo/tanks/soldiers etc there was probably not much support for sacrificing for Ukraine. Western leaders may be able to sell the war as Russia's aggression against NATO, which is why Russia is being provoked over Kaliningrad, or gas supply cuts are being played up.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/p ... al-warfare

Interesting read on Russian vs NATO production capacity.
dnivas
BRFite

Post by dnivas »

Deans wrote:
kit wrote: and i dare say they are inching towards a nuclear war. Stupidity. Putin means exactly what he says. And the Europeans are running into it .. are the Americans and brits giving them false information?
I think Putin got far more support in Russia once people believed this was a defensive war against NATO expansion - instead of a police action against another Slav country.
Similarly, in the West, once there was no collapse of Russia due to sanctions, or running out of ammo/tanks/soldiers etc there was probably not much support for sacrificing for Ukraine. Western leaders may be able to sell the war as Russia's aggression against NATO, which is why Russia is being provoked over Kaliningrad, or gas supply cuts are being played up.
on my whole of the my in-laws side, people who I considered moderate to vehemently anti putin, now except SHQ everyone else is pro war & Pro Putin. This is in spite of the huge propaganda here in the US. I can only imagine how pro Putin people are back in Russia.

The Russia we know in the near future will never trust the US at least for the next 20 years and consider the euro wimps pets of the US. Ukr i feel will become a basket case completely nude and an example for the rest of the NATO baltic states. So either euro surrender by fall/winter or it's gonna be nuke war.

I hope we can all be prepared and some good sense prevails.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

dnivas wrote:
Deans wrote:
on my whole of the my in-laws side, people who I considered moderate to vehemently anti putin, now except SHQ everyone else is pro war & Pro Putin. This is in spite of the huge propaganda here in the US. I can only imagine how pro Putin people are back in Russia.

The Russia we know in the near future will never trust the US at least for the next 20 years and consider the euro wimps pets of the US. Ukr i feel will become a basket case completely nude and an example for the rest of the NATO baltic states. So either euro surrender by fall/winter or it's gonna be nuke war.

I hope we can all be prepared and some good sense prevails.
Tactical nuke threat is increasingly present now... U of A will safely sit far away letting the oiropean baboons test the hot rice
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... of-forces/
Russia will soon exhaust its combat capabilities, Western assessments predict

this maynt b witout merit
But the “creeping” advances are dependent almost entirely on the expenditure of vast quantities of ammunition, notably artillery shells, which are being fired at a rate almost no military in the world would be able to sustain for long, said the senior Western official.

Russia, meanwhile, is continuing to suffer heavy losses of equipment and men, calling into question how much longer it can remain on the attack, the official said.
Russia will have to nuke kiev at sometime, thats the only way this ends.
dnivas
BRFite

Post by dnivas »

Russia is mainly using dumb bombs and they can perpetually keep manufacturing them. last few months every weapons manufacturing plant is going three shifts. If Singha was here, he would definitely appreciate the vast quantities that Russia can produce of bullets, bombs and shells.

Western rags focus on high tech weapons, which Russia is using sparingly so far safe for the bigger party.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

The General who penned that article has stated to wait till September. He used to command the forces in Europe - so, I am sure he knows a thing or two - I would not summarily overlook it.

There is more to this angle. Wonder if NATO will get more involved. Perhaps send Polish troops in some form. There have been claims that 1000s of Ukrainians are being trained in Poland and Germany - I am betting they will be embedded with actual NATO troops.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Ukraine war: 80% of troops killed or injured in elite military unit, says commander
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/154 ... Ix-633hcCg
something serious? Putin arrives in Kremlin in the middle of the night
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Russia fires missiles across Ukraine, cements gains in east
The bombardment preceded a meeting between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, during which Putin announced that Russia planned to send the Iskander-M missile system to Belarus
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Important to see this:

Scott Ritter on 'when will this SMO end?'

https://t.me/UkraineHumanRightsAbuses/6556
dnivas
BRFite

Post by dnivas »

June 25'th Russian MOD update
Russian Defence Ministry report on the progress of the special military operation in Ukraine

The Armed Forces of the Russian Federation continue the special military operation in Ukraine.

On June 25, the cities of Severodonetsk and Borovskoye, the settlements of Voronovo and Sirotino passed under control of the Lugansk People's Republic. The localities liberated from the Kiev regime are inhabited by about 108,000 people. Total area of the liberated territory is about 145 square kilometres.

Success of the Russian army and the units of people militia of the Donetsk and Lugansk people's republics considerably diminish moral and psychological condition of the Ukrainian army personnel.

In 30th Mechanised Brigade deployed near Artyomovsk, there are mass cases of alcohol abuse, drug use and unauthorised abandonment of combat positions.

Russian Federation Armed Forces continue launching attacks at military facilities located in Ukraine.

High-precision attacks of Russian Aerospace Forces and Kalibr missiles were launched at 169th Army Training Centre near Desna (Chernigov region), 199th Air Assault Troops Training Centre near Teterevka (Zhitomir region), as well as at 184th Training Centre of the Armed Forces of Ukraine (AFU) near Starichi (Lvov region).

Attacks have resulted in neutralising 65th, 66th mechanised brigades and 46th Airmobile Brigade from AFU strategic reserves that were finishing their preparation at those training grounds.

The planned redeployment of the abovementioned units to operations area has been frustrated.

Operational-tactical and army aviation, missile troops and artillery have neutralised: manpower and military equipment in 286 areas, artillery and mortar units in 62 areas, 2 command posts near Visunsk and Barmashovo (Nikolayev region), 4 munitions depots near Verkhnekamenka, Lisichansky and western suburbs of Lisichansk (Lugansk People's Republic).

Within the counter-battery warfare towards Donetsk, high-precision attacks launched by Russian Aerospace Forces have resulted in neutralising 10 multiple rocket-launching system (MRLS) plattoons near Avdeyevka, Ukrainsk, Ivanovka, Novosyolovka Pervaya and Vozdvizhenka (Donetsk People's Republic).

Attacks launched by aviation, missile troops and artillery have resulted in the elimination of over 720 nationalists, 12 tanks and other armoured combat vehicles, as well as 16 special vehicles.

The enemy unsuccessfully attempted to launch attacks by aviation and MRLS at Snake Island.

The attack was repelled by Pantsir-S air defence missile and gun system and has resulted in the destruction of 1 Su-25 airplane of Ukrainian Air Force and 12 rockets.

Neither victims among garrison personnel, nor damage have been caused.

Russian air defence means have destroyed 8 Ukrainian unmanned aerial vehicles near Varvarovka, Ray-Aleksandrovka (Lugansk People's Republic), Belyayevka (Kherson region), Malaya Kamyshevakha and Malyie Prokhody (Kharkov region).

19 projectiles launched by a MRLS have been shot down near Suligovka, Glinskoye, Sukhaya Kamenka (Kharkov region), Makeyevka (Donetsk People's Republic) and over Snake Island.

1 MiG-29 of Ukrainian Air Force has been shot down during an aerial combat near Zelenodolsk (Dnepropetrovsk region).

In total, 215 airplanes and 132 helicopters, 1,363 unmanned aerial vehicles, 350 anti-aircraft missile systems, 3,809 tanks and other armored combat vehicles, 682 combat vehicles equipped with MRLS, 3,012 field artillery cannons and mortars, as well as 3,864 units of special military equipment have been destroyed during the special military operation.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

The enemy unsuccessfully attempted to launch attacks by aviation and MRLS at Snake Island.
Looks like Pantsir was taken out in latest strike, notice the lighthouse structure is missing so this looks to be recent.

https://twitter.com/blue_sauron/status/ ... mCA-UYSA7w
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Some points on Russian MOD updates:

Russia has been exaggerating Ukranian losses and not announcing their own (or doing so after a lag). However, there is useful and credible info.

Details of Russian advances are correct (names of villages liberated are confirmed by Ukraine a couple of days later). Russian situation maps are fairly accurate. Even now they don't show the whole of Severodonetsk under their control, as they say it will take a couple of days for sappers to remove mines etc.

Details of Ukrainian units are accurate, as are details of material in the location that was hit. So if location XYZ was hit and 10 MLRS destroyed,
one can be reasonably sure that a MLRS battery at that location was hit.

Russian units are being rotated, 2 BTG's of a brigade in the Ukraine, while the third is in Russia for rest and refit.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Anyone have an idea/source on what %age of "Russian forces" comprises of local militias?

I would think the Russian-Russian causalities are far smaller now and that the locals are carrying some or a lot more of the heavier tasks.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

NRao wrote:Anyone have an idea/source on what %age of "Russian forces" comprises of local militias?

I would think the Russian-Russian causalities are far smaller now and that the locals are carrying some or a lot more of the heavier tasks.
The Donetsk and Luhansk militia at the start of the war comprised:
7 Motor Rifle brigades.
2 Artillery brigades
3 Motor Rifle regiments (Battalion size)
2 Recon Battalions
2 Tank Battalions
2 Special forces Battalions

This would be approx 30-40000 men compared to the Russian army strength of 200,000 men
Confirmed deaths of the militia as on 1st June were approx. 2500. Its a higher proportion than Russian army losses.

The battalion sized units are the elite of the Donbass Militia and are likely to be largely ex Russian army/ Spetsnaz
Many of the officers of the Militia are regular Russian army.
Many of the militia had regular civilian jobs and are elderly. They will probably be unable to handle sustained combat and will probably have
to be rested, or disbanded once the Donbass is liberated.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Deans you can weight in since I don’t follow this conflict much anymore but reports coming in of whole Russian BTG+ ( I can see atleast 50+ vehicles ) wiped out by HIMARS strike. Impressed by latter precision compared to Smerch/Uragan.

I can confirm with NASA FIRM and images from the area of a fire there but cannot confirm the SAT image showing the destruction is accurate

https://twitter.com/coupsure/status/154 ... awtVkuyJdw
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Ukrainian Fighter Pilots Call B.S. On Need For Gray Eagle Drones
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/u ... gle-drones
22 June 2022
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

John wrote:Deans you can weight in since I don’t follow this conflict much anymore but reports coming in of whole Russian BTG+ ( I can see atleast 50+ vehicles ) wiped out by HIMARS strike. Impressed by latter precision compared to Smerch/Uragan.

I can confirm with NASA FIRM and images from the area of a fire there but cannot confirm the SAT image showing the destruction is accurate

https://twitter.com/coupsure/status/154 ... awtVkuyJdw
I've not seen this anywhere other than a pro Ukranian source with limited following, so I'd like independent confirmation. However, the position hit (based on the coordinates) is 75km from Bakhmut - that's the nearest point to the front where, in theory, a MLRS an be placed. I don't think US
has supplied rockets with that range and any MLRS in Bakhmut would not last long, as the Russians are just 5 km from the town and trying to hit all Ukrainian artillery positions there.
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

Deans wrote:I've not seen this anywhere other than a pro Ukranian source with limited following, so I'd like independent confirmation. However, the position hit (based on the coordinates) is 75km from Bakhmut - that's the nearest point to the front where, in theory, a MLRS an be placed. I don't think US has supplied rockets with that range and any MLRS in Bakhmut would not last long, as the Russians are just 5 km from the town and trying to hit all Ukrainian artillery positions there.
but this still means massive Russian loss of armor ?
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

YashG wrote:but this still means massive russian loss of armor ?
We don't have any reliable info that the strike took place, let alone what the casualties were. The Ukraine MOD briefing (which generally gives wildly exaggerated claims) has no mention of it. In general, a MLRS strike is more suited to hitting a HQ, or infantry, or soft skinned vehicles, not armored vehicles.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Deans wrote:I've not seen this anywhere other than a pro Ukranian source with limited following, so I'd like independent confirmation. However, the position hit (based on the coordinates) is 75km from Bakhmut - that's the nearest point to the front where, in theory, a MLRS an be placed. I don't think US has supplied rockets with that range and any MLRS in Bakhmut would not last long, as the Russians are just 5 km from the town and trying to hit all Ukrainian artillery positions there.
It would be hard to fake SAT images. I am waiting on better images from Planet labs. It's hard we have to rely on Open Intel community for this type of info as Russia never acknowledged Kherson airport losses couple mths ago either but SAT image analysis showed the full extent (of course Russian soldier accidentally releasing a ground vid helped confirm it).

Unlike that strike what's weird is Ukraine has stopped publicizing these deep strikes ( any attacks deep within Seperatist controlled region or Russia) not sure if they are doing it on purpose not to rile up Russia or perhaps not reveal any tactics. So we may never know what happened.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

John wrote: It would be hard to fake SAT images I am waiting on better images from Planet labs. It's hard we have to rely on Open Intel community for this type of info as Russia never acknowledged Kherson airport losses couple mths ago either but SAT image analysis showed the full extent (of course Russian soldier accidentally releasing a ground vid helped confirm it).
It is a Sat image, but does not show the location, no of vehicles destroyed, or the cause, so I would hesitate to draw a conclusion, especially when
it is not reported by relatively unbiased sources. Russian soldiers can't release videos without approval (it's a treasonable offense) which is why
I'd wait for more reliable info.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Deans wrote:
We don't have any reliable info that the strike took place, let alone what the casualties were. The Ukraine MOD briefing (which generally gives wildly exaggerated claims) has no mention of it. In general, a MLRS strike is more suited to hitting a HQ, or infantry, or soft skinned vehicles, not armored vehicles.
That is true of Soviet/Russian MLRS like the SMERCH which fits in with Soviet/Russian doctrines of massed fires without pinpoint accuracy. But the M142 Himars and it's larger cousin the M270 MLRS were designed from the outset for pin point targeting including armor formations. So while the provenance of the linked images is not proven, it looks like HImars certainly has the capability e.g. to interdict and destroy a Russian BTG armor formation as the report below from 2015 describing HIMARS operations in Iraq confirms with the rocket impacting the target at a 90 degree angle vertically, the turret being the most vulnerable area typically for tanks:
The 227-millimeter rockets have enough range to keep the launchers far from the front lines. Carrying a 200-pound high explosive warhead and guided by GPS, the M-31 rocket can hit precise targets up to 43 miles away. Each HIMARS vehicle can shoot up to six rounds in rapid succession before needing to reload.

The trucks can also fire rockets filled with tiny bomblets or a single, larger Army Tactical Missile System missile. The Army is working on new warheads that will shred targets with a cloud of shrapnel.

In Iraq, the rockets’ accurate nature and ability to fall straight down onto a single target have been especially important. The round “strikes a target with pinpoint accuracy with minimal potential for collateral damage as it impacts a target at a 90-degree angle and has a relatively small blast radius for the effect achieved,” the public affairs official noted.

The Army designed the rockets in the 1970s to wipe out armor formations with a hail of small anti-tank grenades. Batteries of heavy, tracked Multiple Launch Rocket Systems would help stem any Soviet invasion into Germany.

Despite a good showing during the first Gulf War in 1991, the Army realized there was a need for greater precision and mobility. Using components from the M-2 Bradley armored vehicle, the M-270 launchers weigh more than 27 tons.

But at almost half the weight and with smaller overall dimensions, the HIMARS can fit into the ubiquitous C-130 transport aircraft. The launchers can go anywhere those four engine planes can land.

Since the first HIMARS entered since in 2005, the Army – and Marines – have made good use of these features in combat in both Iraq and Afghanistan. For at least eight years, HIMARS crews worked closely with American commandos in remote areas of Afghanistan, according to a report by the Washington Post.
The U.S. Army Hurls Hundreds of Rockets at Islamic State
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

John wrote:It would be hard to fake SAT images.
Like the ones of Bucha?

Russia doesn't tell everything thats happened, stays mum on its own losses on a daily basis. But whatever info they do put out or victory they claim, has been reliable and no one has been able to disprove it. Ok Kadirov sometimes jumps the gun, but he never lost a battle he claimed as winning/having won.

On the contrary, Ukra-een's media machine has claimed fictitious victories, dozens of generals killed, exaggerated number of Ru equipment captured and destroyed, fictitious war crimes including fake massacres, fake rapes and child abuse stories, fake civilian facilities bombed & destroyed, denied their own missile attacks (remember Kermatorsk railway station with Tochka U cluster munitions), tried to pass off their crimes as that of Ru, calling surrenders as "evacuations" the list is endless. I think they are actually proud of being able to lie so much, in the face of world powers and mostly getaway with it.

The only thing they are truthful about are the nazi tattoos, patches and symbols of its skinhead scum, which appear even in elensly's tweets.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

On Front Lines, Communication Breakdowns Prove Costly for Ukraine
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/28/worl ... ussia.html
28 June 2022

Above article is behind a paywall, but a twitter user took some screenshots. But due to copyright issues, I am not posting those screenshots on the forum. Please click on link below to view the screenshots.

https://twitter.com/Firezstarter1/statu ... uHOHP8ZJhA ---> Telling comments about Russian EW effectiveness and also how the Ukrainian army's patchwork system is breaking down vs an organized opponent due to a lack of proper, secure, command control and milspec systems.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Biden officials privately doubt that Ukraine can win back all of its territory
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/28/politics ... index.html
28 June 2022
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

CCTV footage of the moment that a Russian missile strikes a shopping center in Kremenchuk, Ukraine a couple of days ago. The missile is supposed to be a KH-22 anti ship missile launched from either TU-22M3s or TU-95s over Russia. Was this a case of deliberately targeting a shopping center or is the missile so inaccurate that maybe the Russians were targeting the oil refinery located in the same town and instead hit the shopping center? But that refinery has been hit twice before including in mid June and is out of commission with Ukraine saying that repairs to the refinery make it inoperable at least until the end of 2022

Or was it an Iskander ballistic missile? Looks quite long but difficult to judge given the CCTV camera range and angle.....

John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

^ It's clearly a Kh-22, I believe this is a upgraded Kh-22m but however I can see one missed it's target as they are not designed for ground attack. It uses RF to find targets which is not idea, it's similar to how our Styx attack where used in Op Trident but we used it coastal target so less chance of missing.

Keep in mind this is very expensive missile back when Russians where offering Tu-22m as part of Gorshkov deal, it was lease for 4 Tu-22m3 and not even dozen of these missiles (range capped at 300 km) for 400 million IIRC.

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/stat ... drh99X0wGA
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

John wrote:^ It's clearly a Kh-22, I believe this is a upgraded Kh-22m .....
You are correct. Screen grab below.....

Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Russia has refuted Ukra-een statement that the missile targeted shopping complex. The target was an adjacent rail yard which had weapons and ammo and all that blew up and caught fire, which spread to the shopping complex which might also have been used as a mil depot..

Not sure if the video above is the one, but even that looks more like a rail yard than a shopping complex.

Ukra-een has done this repeatedly and everywhere since the beginning, using schools, hospitals, shopping complexes, civilian buildings etc to store ammo, weapons, keep troops, use people there as sheilds, and use them as combat positions to attract Russian fire and then claim innocent victims.

If anyone asks evidence for this, don't bother, nothing can get them out of denial.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Ukraine is doing its best to claim it was an inaccurate strike. Russians note however it struck its intended target and the collateral damage if any, results from the fragmentation and debris from the explosive material it blew up.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

There were two separate missile strikes that day. One was at at an industrial site, the Kredmash Road Machinery factory and the second was at the Mall. As the image below indicates, the two locations are separated by about 500 meters so there is no way that a blast only at the industrial factory site could have caused a fire and demolition of the mall 500 meters away. The Russians claim that ammunition was stored at the Road Machinery factory, the Ukranians say the factory has been closed and only a watchman was on duty and no ammunition was stored and the only military connection was three military vehicles repaired there a few months ago.

NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

There is full-fledged war in progress.

Both sides are using truth very, very economically.

And, IMO, this is just the start. We should expect escalation in various forms - perhaps even across the globe.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Am I correct in saying that;

- Russia is winning the operational war
- Russia is winning the strategic/geopolitical piece as well

All this NATO huffing and puffing is just that.

BR Experts please weigh in.