Russian-Ukrainian War: Combat Tactics & Strategy

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Re: Russian-Ukrainian War: Combat Tactics & Strategy

Post by Cyrano »

Credibility is always fragile no matter who you are.

But when you are past your prime and kick a sleepy bear and get mauled, your credibility goes down very quickly.

That's what I see unfolding. G7 seems like old grumpy man and his harem of old wives. The RoW is very clear they can no longer be trusted and are actively building alternative mechanisms.

I don't expect the West to go down without an ugly display of their grandstanding. Which will only serve to convince the Rest that the old order needs to go!
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Russia has withdrawn from Snake island confirmed by Russian Def minister, reportedly images show most recent Ukrainian strike took out Tor and more equipment (few more areas smoking).

https://twitter.com/business/status/154 ... Fa0Y_jc0RQ

Image after recent strike?

https://twitter.com/tpyxanews/status/15 ... Fa0Y_jc0RQ

One takeaway should be inability of Tor and Pantsir to provide adequate SHORAD. Pantsir struggle are well documented in Libya and Syria (they were blamed on poor trained operators) but suprised Tor hadn't performed well as well. IMO these systems are designed to perform in a fully integrated Air defense network but in a modern battlefield where front lines are elastic that is not possible. As a result they struggled when they have to operate as stand alone systems.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

ks_sachin wrote:Am I correct in saying that;

- Russia is winning the operational war
- Russia is winning the strategic/geopolitical piece as well

All this NATO huffing and puffing is just that.

BR Experts please weigh in.
IMO, no expert.

I would add "so far" to each of the two "Russia is winning ..." statements.

However, I seriously think this conflict is NOT reversible (a LOT to unpack there) and will escalate to pre-WW1 conditions (followed by recession, serious depression, a mini WW3). All that for a diff thread.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

ks_sachin wrote:Am I correct in saying that;

- Russia is winning the operational war
- Russia is winning the strategic/geopolitical piece as well

All this NATO huffing and puffing is just that.

BR Experts please weigh in.
The conflict has stalemated other than minimal gains from east by Russians and by Kherson/Kharkiv/Snake island for Ukr. As Igor himself noted the Ukrainian strategy to simply stall the Russians till Fall where Rasputitsa will factor in along with lack of proper supplies specially for Seperatist groups. Try to repeat what happened north of Kyiv.

In mean time Russian strat would be try to encircle and capture the east and try to win some sort of diplomatic peace deal by pressuring the western leaders who want some relief on inflation front.

Here is latest SAT images of snake Island and I was wrong to note the attacks where done by drones. Vids being released show Ukr snuck a Bohdan 155 mm (Ukrainan self propelled gun) gun in range and started pounding the island.

https://twitter.com/maxar/status/154253 ... 2ekjengZ5Q
dnivas
BRFite

Post by dnivas »

When Odessa is taken, Snake Island is inconsequential. On the whole, the whole snake island saga has been a a microcosm of this conflict. Russia has been slowly demilitarizing whole swathes of Ukraine while Ukraine goes for those micro wins and wins twitter and arms dealers with it.

Anyway militarily and strategically , Ukraine is losing hundreds of dead everyday.
8/10 dems are not happy with the state of the country [USA]

8.5 Trillion has been wiped off from the stock market from Jan to June . The boomers are already so angry. years of their 401Ks are 20% down. The dems have it coming this year.

Joe Warmonger Biden gives another 800 million to Pakraine.

I am just waiting for that tipping point when the Ukr stop fighting. Gonna be epic to see the verbal gymnastics by NATO, State Dept and the Euro wimps.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Ukraine will never stop fighting. As long as western power's are intact.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Audio :: General Ben Hodges

This guy told me to wait till Sept. He expect Ukraine to turn tide and IIRC reverse losses by year end.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

NRao wrote:Audio :: General Ben Hodges

This guy told me to wait till Sept. He expect Ukraine to turn tide and IIRC reverse losses by year end.
The establishment has to say this, to justify continued arms transfers to Ukraine.
By Sept, Russia should have liberated the Donbass and secured Crimea and will probably go on the defensive. Their supply chain would be in place and the population of liberated territory largely friendly. Another 130,000 graduating conscripts are available for deployment.

By then, the original Ukraine army (17 brigades) and most of the territorial army (23 brigades) would have lost the bulk of their volunteer / trained manpower and will not be capable of operations, except for limited defensive roles.
Trying to send semi-trained conscripts to attack prepared Russian positions, without artillery and air support, will get them slaughtered, IMO. Ukraine is losing 1000 men /day (incl wounded and POW) now, it will be 3000+, with untrained conscripts attacking.

The tide may turn if Russia's economy is badly hit - which I believe it will be in the longer term. However, by the start of winter we may also see:
US - Dems losing Mid terms.
UK - BoJo out (fresh scandals being investigated, privileges committee report out last Oct).
Europe - Serious inflation + recession when Russia stops gas.
It will come down to which side can bear more economic pain.
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

This war will go down the wire. I think we will see things getting very extreme before something snaps. Russian always has the option of nuking Kiev in the end. Howsoever that sounds, west is playing the brinkmanship here and loading the dice in that direction.

In the end, you cant defeat a nuclear country. That kind of country always has the last option to play.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

I believe Ukrainian forces fought with a lot more determination and willingness to die for their country, when defending the `Ukrainian part of
their country e.g. defense of Kiev, Kharkov and Nikolayev. Its less so when defending the Donbass.

With most of their regular army / neo Nazi brigades a casualty and a large part of the foreign mercenaries casualties or returned, I wonder
how willing Ukraine's conscripted forces will be to attack and liberate the Russian part of Donbass. If Russia stops with the liberation of the Donbass (also keeping territories of other districts that have occupied) I don't see Ukrainians having the motivation to recapture that territory. Conversely, it may not make sense for Russia to advance deep into Ukraine, when resistance will stiffen, NATO will push in more arms and the Russian economy will be less able to bear the strain.
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

If this war is to change the world, Russia will need to (in order of preference)

- Get odessa and landlock Ukraine ( Complete landbridge to tranistria)
- conquer Ukraine uptill dneipr river, half the country (This territory can be relinquished on favorable terms)
- Keep shelling Kiev with 80-100 Km MLRS and keep it hostage

I do not have knowledge to figure out if Russia can do this or if it has means to do this.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

The long range precision MLRS M270 AND M142 (Himars) systems that Ukraine has now received in small quantities will have a disproportionately large impact if used correctly by Ukraine. As the British defence secretary Ben Wallace says,"they cannot be used as area weapons, because Ukraine will run out of ammunition within 12 hours". They have to be used to selectively target high value pivotal Russian targets. And it looks like so far at least Ukraine is using them selectively. By targeting ammunition dumps as far as 50 km behind the front lines, Ukraine is attempting to neutralize the overwhelming Russian munitions advantage in the hopes that it will slow down or halt the Russian offensive in the Donbass.

Sentinel satellite image of Russian ammunition dumps targeted via a Himars strike and burning

https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/154 ... bSq-QqAAAA

The ammunition dump was geo-located as being 50 km behind the front lines and 77 km from the location of MLRS launcher

And the UK defence secretary's views on how Himars and M270 should be used by Ukraine
Shashank Joshi
@shashj
“There is evidence Ukraine is making a concerted effort to strike deep in Donbas. Mr Wallace says five ammunition dumps hv recently been blown up & number of Ru HQs…This offers a path, if not to outright victory, then at least to a standoff that imposes severe costs on Russia.”
https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1542464962962014209

NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Deans wrote:
NRao wrote:Audio :: General Ben Hodges

The establishment has to say this, to justify continued arms transfers to Ukraine.
On "continued arms transfer" I think it is a self fulfilling prophesy. Both side's stated goal is to "win" and only one can. The two sides - there are two distinct sides (beyond Russia and Ukraine) - are in a terminal suicide vortex. Both sides have dug their heels in. And, the world's silent majority are only spectators.

A quick word on M777 and HIMARS. Both, very reliable, high available systems, are being deployed for purposes they were not designed for. Both depend on accurate coordinates to be effective. Very much doubt that the Ukrainians have any organic ability to provide accurate coords. This by itself is an escalation. IMO it will not take too long for NATO troops to set foot on Ukrainian soil. Ukraine cannot roll this back by herself - even with total arms support. And, my read is that Gen Hodges is aware of some such plan in the works (he commanded the forces in EU). Will not be surprised to see a reverse in tide within a month - but, because of NATO boots (perhaps in UKR unis)

Tom Luongo on The Duran show today said that there are 4 players: US, EU, Russia, and China. Then he says, "India is pivotal". :)

Ascending
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

A quick word on M777 and HIMARS. Both, very reliable, high available systems, are being deployed for purposes they were not designed for. Both depend on accurate coordinates to be effective. Very much doubt that the Ukrainians have any organic ability to provide accurate coords.
They are both being used in coordination with drones and counter battery radar ( we even saw couple weeks back during Russian live broadcast m777 being used against Russian artillery unit in a min after they fired) I am not sure what you mean by doesn't have ability to provide that.

In general I am impressed how accurate artillery is without use of guided rounds simply by using drones for target correction. As for M777 If you compare recent Ukrainian video of their own 155mm gun used in Snake island , M777 appear IMO to be little more accurate. We know HIMARS has been used but so far there is no actual kill video to confirm it, we just don't know if the deep strikes on ammo depots are by Tochka or HIMARS.

M777 hiting ammo depot
https://twitter.com/tpyxanews/status/15 ... nJCwnJheBQ

M777 hitting a dug in tank
https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1542 ... nJCwnJheBQ

Russians attempting to destroy equipment left behind vid released by Russia, what's impressive is only one of out 4 bombs hit the island illustrates how inaccurate non guided bombs are even when used in bombing runs against unguarded targets.

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/stat ... nJCwnJheBQ
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1 ... 7273354240
Pentagon acknowledges the next $820 million in U.S. security assistance to Ukraine. Includes:

- HIMARS ammo
- Two NASAMS for air defense
- Up to 150K 155 mm artillery rounds
- Counter-artillery radar

U.S. has committed $6.9 billion in security assistance since Feb. 24 invasion.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Behind paywall:

London Times:

June 28, 2022 :: It's time we took the war into Russia

Suicide vortex
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

ldev wrote: The ammunition dump was geo-located as being 50 km behind the front lines and 77 km from the location of MLRS launcher
I made the same point about the range of the ammo dump, in an earlier post. I don't think Ukraine has been given ammo that can reach 75+ km or the targeting systems for that, so they are confined to targets around 45km away.
Also, Bakhmut is barely 5km from the front, under heavy drone surveillance, within range of tank fire (apart from artillery) and subject to constant air strikes. I don't see any MLRS lasting long in that environment.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

NRao wrote:
On "continued arms transfer" I think it is a self fulfilling prophesy. Both side's stated goal is to "win" and only one can. The two sides - there are two distinct sides (beyond Russia and Ukraine) - are in a terminal suicide vortex. Both sides have dug their heels in. And, the world's silent majority are only spectators.
This is what worries me about the war. Both NATO and Russia have invested too much in this to stop, because stopping would be admitting defeat.
The longer this goes on, the worse will be the damage to Ukraine, Russia and the world economy, incl. India.
NATO can only prevent Russia's creeping progress by escalating. That path carries with it a high probability of nuclear escalation.

In the current situation, I see a possible path to peace if, by Sept:
- Russia liberates all of the Donbass,
- Ukraine has about 200k irreplaceable casualties (incl. all its trained manpower)
- Russia also occupies Kherson, Zaparozhye and most of Kharkov, which is might return (barring a Crimea land bridge) to Ukraine.
- Ukraine's economy has collapsed (half its GDP is generated in the areas controlled by Russia) with another 3 million refugees in EU.
- EU cannot handle the inflation and shortage of gas. The most pro war govts in NATO may be on shaky ground. Specifically:
- Dems lose mid terms.
- BoJo resigns (more scandals coming out).
- Bulgarian govt falls (divided over Russia)
- Swedish govt falls (its majority is 1, a Kurd who may resign if Kurds are extradited to Turkey), or may lose the Sept 22 election.
- France may become ungovernable if inflation persists, since Macron has lost his majority.
- Czech & Austria (anti Russia) govts may lose the 22 Sept & 9th Oct elections.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Excellent analysis all !

The most critical exacerbating factor out of anyone's hands is the arrival of winter. Europe will see it's people freezing, the govt's will drum up Russia hatred to a frenzy to justify getting into direct conflict.

At that point no one can say how far this will go. Because even if all NATO countries except the US get into the fight, their forces are not numerous enough, equipment reserves and mil production not deep enough, tactics not trained together enough (they can't even communicate in the same language on the battlefield, cannot get combined shared battle field sitreps and so on... NATO has been twiddling thumbs most of the time with low funds and fat cats in golden retirement jobs) to overcome Russia on Ukranian soil and force retreat. Then the US has to get into the fray directly to save NATO.

If that happens, US cannot take body bags like Ukranians and will be tempted to escalate quickly to tactical nukes. Then its all over.

Very very dangerous sequence of events that can become unstoppable in just 4 months from now.

If India is pivotal, the time to use its influence is now. There is no reason to believe a few deranged politicians who say escalation is the only way to resolve this conflict. India must call that bluff , puncture the "we are the aggrieved party" bubble of NATO/EU and push them to see reason.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Cyrano wrote:If India is pivotal, the time to use its influence is now. There is no reason to believe a few deranged politicians who say escalation is the only way to resolve this conflict. India must call that bluff , puncture the "we are the aggrieved party" bubble of NATO/EU and push them to see reason.
Among the major countries, our EAM Dr Jaishankar has been the only voice of sanity.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Major cyber attacks on Lithuania for the last 5 days.
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

Deans wrote:
NRao wrote:
This is what worries me about the war. Both NATO and Russia have invested too much in this to stop, because stopping would be admitting defeat.
The longer this goes on, the worse will be the damage to Ukraine, Russia and the world economy, incl. India.
NATO can only prevent Russia's creeping progress by escalating. That path carries with it a high probability of nuclear escalation.

In the current situation, I see a possible path to peace if, by Sept:
- Russia liberates all of the Donbass,
- Ukraine has about 200k irreplaceable casualties (incl. all its trained manpower)
- Russia also occupies Kherson, Zaparozhye and most of Kharkov, which is might return (barring a Crimea land bridge) to Ukraine.
- Ukraine's economy has collapsed (half its GDP is generated in the areas controlled by Russia) with another 3 million refugees in EU.
- EU cannot handle the inflation and shortage of gas. The most pro war govts in NATO may be on shaky ground. Specifically:
- Dems lose mid terms.
- BoJo resigns (more scandals coming out).
- Bulgarian govt falls (divided over Russia)
- Swedish govt falls (its majority is 1, a Kurd who may resign if Kurds are extradited to Turkey), or may lose the Sept 22 election.
- France may become ungovernable if inflation persists, since Macron has lost his majority.
- Czech & Austria (anti Russia) govts may lose the 22 Sept & 9th Oct elections.
Everything in this list cant happen= no peace
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

YashG wrote: Everything in this list cant happen= no peace
An EU winter that is much colder than usual. Colder the better.

I think the people in the West have had too much of football, basketball, Tesla stock millionaires, etc. They have no clue where Afghanistan is on a map - even if we highlight it in bright neon yellow.
dnivas
BRFite

Post by dnivas »

NRao wrote:
YashG wrote: Everything in this list cant happen= no peace
An EU winter that is much colder than usual. Colder the better.

I think the people in the West have had too much of football, basketball, Tesla stock millionaires, etc. They have no clue where Afghanistan is on a map - even if we highlight it in bright neon yellow.
Truly, some humble pie needs to be eaten by the likes in Eurostan.
already Germany has issued 9 euro monthly pass for rail travel anywhere within Germany. Plausible reason is to divest from car travel, but news is that they are hurting big time.

These guys have not for any shame that they are talking about the 'BRUTAL' invasion of Ukraine, when hundreds of thousands innocents re killed in yemen , Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan.

A fee weeks of global warming by burning shops and tires in the streets of France, Austria and Germany by protestors and a few coalitions losing power would soothe my soul at least.

The german / swedish and other euro trash govts kept harping on religious freedom and extremism. I would so love to say 'i told you so' to them and use the exact same diplomatic lines back to them

I mean sweden and finland is already deporting Kurds back to their deaths in Turkey. I would love to be a fly on the wall when the euro enlightened diplomutts come calling to address India's human rights issues.
dnivas
BRFite

Post by dnivas »

Lyschishansk fully under Russian Control. Man the new Ukr army keeps falling like dominos. around 2K soldiers still unaccounted for. POW clock keeps ticking up. This town had a lot of foreign mercs. will be interesting to see how many were killed.

https://twitter.com/tinso_ww/status/1543267284902371329
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

I am trying to go through as many articles as I can that were published 4 months ago to see how accurate they were. Just for kicks, nothing more.

Here is one that I found to be interesting:

Feb 23 :: Modern Russia Can Fight And Win Land Wars
Technological advances strengthen Russia’s artillery-centric army and shrink the threat of a rout from the air by NATO. Russia is poised to change political outcomes with military means for decades.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Igor Girkin on his twitter page, videos and photographs of strikes in Russia on Belgorod and Kursk as well as Russian occupied Melitopol. So has the war been taken inside Russia's borders? Or is it a false flag?

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status ... n7nesqAAAA

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status ... 70nOsqAAAA

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status ... 3290050560

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status ... 8399275013

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status ... 5068646406

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status ... 6910696449
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

^ This is done by Tochka. Not new Ukrainian have been striking into Russia now basically trying to take out Russian supplies. They sent an old Soviet era Tuploev drone only couple days ago likely to test the defenses so new something was up.

As for precious strikes, I think I have already shared video of Ukr drone striking a Russian refinery and Ukr helos hiting Belgorod. There have been more strikes but without video evidence we don’t know what caused it.

Also the fact that Tochka are now being used in increases nos does raise possibility Ukrainian are starting to assemble new ones (unlikely) or repair and field non operational ones from Soviet era.

What’s biggest surprise is S-300/400 seem how to have poor intercept rate against Tochka keep in mind these are easier to shoot down than Scud and likely has big implications for us as we rely on S-400 for similar role.
Last edited by John on 03 Jul 2022 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

John wrote:^ Not new Ukrainian have been striking into Russia now basically trying to take out Russian supplies. They sent an old Soviet era Tuploev drone only couple days ago likely to test the defenses so new something was up.

I think I have already shared video of Ukr drone striking Russian refinery and Ukr helos hiting Belgorod. There have been more strikes but without video evidence we don’t know what caused it.

Also the fact that Tochka are now being used in increases nos does raise possibility Ukrainian are starting to assemble new ones (unlikely) or repair and field non operational ones from Soviet era.
Russian media claim Ukraine fired a couple of 9M79-1 Tochka missiles into Belgorod:

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee1/stat ... 9770397697

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee1/stat ... 2060721153
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

ldev wrote:
John wrote:^ Not new Ukrainian have been striking into Russia now basically trying to take out Russian supplies. They sent an old Soviet era Tuploev drone only couple days ago likely to test the defenses so new something was up.

I think I have already shared video of Ukr drone striking Russian refinery and Ukr helos hiting Belgorod. There have been more strikes but without video evidence we don’t know what caused it.

Russian media claim Ukraine fired a couple of 9M79-1 Tochka missiles into Belgorod:

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee1/stat ... 9770397697

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee1/stat ... 2060721153
Yeap what’s stunning for me is S-300/400 seem to struggling to shoot them down and these are easier to shoot down than the Scud. This big takeaway and has big implications for other S-400 users.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

John wrote: What’s biggest surprise is S-300/400 seem how to have poor intercept rate against Tochka keep in mind these are easier to shoot down than Scud and likely has big implications for us as we rely on S-400 for similar role.
Yes, the S-400 has been strangely ineffective in this conflict inspite of numerous Russian S-400 battalions ringed around Ukraine and in Belarus.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Based on what I can put together there is only 1 Tochka fired, they seemed to have fired something to try to intercept it (looks to be a high velocity missile ) but it missed or was partial hit and Tochka hit the ground.

https://twitter.com/andriyurch/status/1 ... hTjGWnHBag

Added looks like first stage of Pantsir’s 57E6 missile interesting why only Pantsir went off (but what happened to S-400?) might explain why it couldn’t intercept Tochka successfully.
Last edited by John on 03 Jul 2022 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

John wrote:Based on what I can put together there is only 1 Tochka fired, they seemed to have fired something to try to intercept it (looks to be a high velocity missile ) but it missed or was partial hit and Tochka hit the ground.
The strike on the Melitopol airfield was supposedly by Himars, targeted the oil depot which is burning. On Belorod they claim 2 Tochkas of which 1 hit a military target....ammunition dump...... and the other was intercepted/partially intercepted as you say, and the debris fell in a civilian area.....???? I wonder what hit Kursk???
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

If HIMARS is supposedly hitting point targets. Then they are using GPS guided rockets.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Pratyush wrote:If HIMARS is supposedly hitting point targets. Then they are using GPS guided rockets.
The early supplies from the US were non GPS rockets, but the Canadian supplies during the same time included GPS guided rockets. Don't know if the US has since also supplied GPS guided rockets. Also the M270 MLRS supplied by the Norway/UK and maybe Germany use the same rockets. I think that M-31 rockets with a range of upto 80 km have been supplied. Only the longest range, 300 km ranged ATACMS, which can also be fired from HImars and M270 has been withheld because of fears that Ukraine will strike targets deep in Russia with it.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Pratyush wrote:If HIMARS is supposedly hitting point targets. Then they are using GPS guided rockets.
The base is pretty big seeing how dispersed the strikes are it doesn’t look guided to me.

https://twitter.com/ukrainenewslive/sta ... hTjGWnHBag
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Advanced U.S. Arms Make a Mark in Ukraine War, Officials Say

this:
For the HIMARS, Ukrainian forces rely on a guided rocket that is aided by GPS signals and accurate to within about 30 feet of its intended target. Before launch, a three-person crew inputs coordinates for each strike.