Russian-Ukrainian War: Combat Tactics & Strategy

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Re: Russian-Ukrainian War: Combat Tactics & Strategy

Post by NRao »

^^^^^

I think it is a little too early to state "war footings".

From what I understand, they are streamlining their MIC: in the reshuffle they have assigned an experienced manager (in Denis Manturov, ex-Industry minister), and in reviving the Soviet model (my understanding) they are providing a complete life cycle support for their MIC: design bureaus, funds, R&D support, etc - under one roof. This, will impact long term plans, not sure if it is meant for immediate effect - or at least I do not think so.

I know nothing about their recruitment, which, I think, is separate topic from their MIC.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

NRao wrote:^^^^^

I think it is a little too early to state "war footings".

From what I understand, they are streamlining their MIC: in the reshuffle they have assigned an experienced manager (in Denis Manturov, ex-Industry minister), and in reviving the Soviet model (my understanding) they are providing a complete life cycle support for their MIC: design bureaus, funds, R&D support, etc - under one roof.
That is correct. My interpretation, that this is an acknowledgement that Russia is at war and therefore the MIC has to step up, is that parliament was recalled for a special session and there is a shortage of weapons/equipment in certain areas which has to be made up by aggressively utilising capacity.
For e.g. many tanks which were in storage and thought to be serviceable, are not and it will take a large number of experienced technicians to sort them out - those men might have to be moved from other sectors.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

^^Deans,
Is that a tacit admission that Mr Putin did not think this through and preps were tardy - reflective of the corrupt state that Russia is.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Yes - > it clearly looks like Putin expected Ukraine would back down the moment they Russian started exercises, the Ukrainians -West backed down 3 times in the last 5 years. This time they launched an attack in the Donbas on Feb-15, in fact the US predicted the Russian Invasion will start on 20 Feb 22 since they knew the Ukrainian Offensive would start.

Then Putin thought he would scare the Ukrainian's into backing down by his move on Kyiv, rather they double down, in fact West- Ukraine were so confident of victory after the Russians withdrawal- they Ukrainian's killed their own negotiator, walked out of peace talks. Which turned to Euphoria after the Moskva was sunk, it was only end of June some reality is sinking in.

The Russians seem to be moving to war economy like Britain and Stalin did in WW2. Hitler did this only 1943 after Stalingrad loss by which time it was pretty late.

I suspect the Russians are Training and equipping themselves for what is to come. They will try to get the whole Donbass in the next 45-60 days and hold in the South.

It will be at that point again whether West- Ukraine want to negotiate or double down again. US has begun training Ukrainian Pilots on F-16's, M-270, M 142 units, Artillery will all be in place. Russians are now preparing their inventory as they need their Airforce/ Air DE fences and Artillery , Drones etc for the final push.

Ukraine will suffer massively, the hopelessness of all this backed by propaganda is really looking bad. Unless there is some change in Washington- I see Russia and Europe suffering economically and a bit miltarily- I see Ukraine being totally destroyed in this.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

ks_sachin wrote:^^Deans,
Is that a tacit admission that Mr Putin did not think this through and preps were tardy - reflective of the corrupt state that Russia is.
Yes. There is a story doing the rounds among veterans in Russia, of a regimental commander who shot himself, when none of the tanks in his regiment could even move from their storage area (he had certified them as fit for combat). This also explains the large number of abandoned tanks in the first phase of the war. What is more relevant from our point of view though is weather Russia has been successful in pivoting to a new plan when the first one failed.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Thanks.

Luckily our boys incl junior offrs across the length and breadth are hardened due to the relentless CI Ops.

Unfortunately whether the senior officer corps gets enough time for conventional ops planning and training is another matter
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

The reorg of Russian MIC is aimed at medium to long term results I think, nothing to do with how the SMO has progressed so far.
Putin is simply not counting on self inflicted economic chaos and decline of NATO countries to stop them from stretching this conflict, though in a couple of months, more leaders of these countries may fall and the rug under elensly may slip. It seems to me Putin indeed sees this as an existential threat to Russia and is putting his money where his mouth is. That is very consistent and clear headed thinking in my book.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Qn: Can the US intercept the Russian Samrat ICBM warheads ?
Parasu
BRFite

Post by Parasu »

Shanmukh wrote:All the Russian channels (RIA/Tass, etc) are reporting that Seversk is under Russian/LDPR operational control.

https://ria.ru/20220714/seversk-1802344760.html

However, I haven't seen any photographs of Russians doing their little dance in front of the mayor's office ....

What do people think? If Seversk is gone, how long will Slavyansk-Kramatorsk hold up?

BTW, what is happening with the Kherson offensive?
Seversk is lowland so Russians arent keen on taking it unless the surrounding areas are cleared.
Nothing's happening in Kherson. Ukrainian command is running low on quality manpower to launch an offensive.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

UKR DefMin:

https://twitter.com/oleksiireznikov/sta ... 2000530434
Long Hand Family of #UAarmy has been enlarged: the first MLRS M270 have arrived!
They will be good company for #HIMARS on the battlefield.
Thank you to our partners .
No mercy for the enemy.
As far as I can see:

* 9 of these M270 (each capable of launching 12 rockets)(tracked)(relative to HIMARS, less maneuverable because it is nearly twice as heavy as the HIMARS)
* 12 HIMARS (each capable of launching 6 rockets). I have heard that the US will send up to 30 more HIMARS launchers

In the past week, the US has sold 6 HIMARS to Estonia.

There is also some chatter about selling 30 300 kms MISSILES (along with rockets I would assume) to Estonia. The arguments being made is that these 300 kms missiles from Estonia will find their way to Ukraine.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NZQMUclv5g

Good video from Royal United services Inst, on the Air war.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

A very powerful infographic:

John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

After weeks we have very first confirmed shoot down of an AC in the conflict looks like a Su-34 was brought down by friendly fire in Alchevsk. I believe there HIMARS attack in that area but idk how you can confuse a Su-34 with a rocket so not sure if it’s friendly fire as claimed.

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1548 ... CoCoYvv4bQ

6th confirmed loss of M777

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/stat ... CoCoYvv4bQ
dnivas
BRFite

Post by dnivas »

Demystifying the HIMAR destruction

Just like the M777, this is just another data point that validates that a HIMAR system was destroyed. Poster is an ex veteran turned Journalist

John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

^ That’s not HIMARS and Wagner telegram group already confirmed that as well.

That channel has been as good as Igor in Russian side in terms of accuracy and calling out any fake or inconsistency.

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1549 ... YMo9UHRIKw

Ukraine attempted to take out the bridge in Kherson with little
Success shows how it hard it is to take out bridge.

https://twitter.com/cyberspec1/status/1 ... g7-YXnqu1Q
dnivas
BRFite

Post by dnivas »

John wrote:^ That’s not HIMARS and Wagner telegram group already confirmed that as well.

That channel has been as good as Igor in Russian side in terms of accuracy and calling out any fake or inconsistency.

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1549 ... YMo9UHRIKw

Ukraine attempted to take out the bridge in Kherson with little
Success shows how it hard it is to take out bridge.

https://twitter.com/cyberspec1/status/1 ... g7-YXnqu1Q
let people watch and come to their own conclusion, for me personally just like the ghost of kiev, the snake island saga, the million man army, the fall of Moscow, the game changing ceasar, the game changing M777, the game changing HIMAR, the game changing western Training, the game changing killer drones, the game changing NLAWS, the game changing harpoons, the multiple times ukr army have pushed back Ru army to the borders, the amazing Ukr counter attacks , Bucha and other civ deaths theater, this has seriously eroded any credibility of western or Ukr news. All they do is just twitter and cnn propaganda.

So let's see , for me that video seems to be doing some good image analysis. let me take a look at the wagner video. Thanks
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Russian report state this is Su-35 shot down by friendly fire (Ukr are claiming their AD shot it down but that seems suspect as it is well inside Russian controlled area). HIMARS might have forced Russians to activate S-400? resulting in two losses that’s the theory I am hearing right now.

https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/154 ... jPx2I3XaBA
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

^^Yes, it looks like the Russians shot down one of their own fighters.....SU35S according to reports.
Another video of the shoot down:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1549477940500594696
dnivas
BRFite

Post by dnivas »

Supposedly worlds longest range sniper rifle used by Russia
https://www.rt.com/russia/559399-russia ... e-ukraine/
The “super-long-range” Sumrak (Twilight) sniper rifle was used for the first time by Russian soldiers in Ukraine, TASS news agency reported on Thursday, citing a security source.

Snipers used the rifle near Kiev, as well as near Kharkov in eastern Ukraine, but “rarely” because it was not always possible to find suitable terrain, the source told the Russian news outlet. There has been no official confirmation of the information, the agency added.....
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

NBC News:

Foreign soldiers flocked to Ukraine after Russia invaded. Five months on, the fighting is taking a heavy toll.
July 21, 2022, 4:47 AM CDT
By Phil McCausland
After a thrilling first few months of unexpected success that boosted morale among the Ukrainian ranks, the reality of the bloodiest European conflict since World War II has taken its toll among some of the thousands of foreign fighters who traveled from abroad to battle the Russian invaders.

The war has long moved past the Ukrainian victory in Kyiv’s suburbs, which are still scarred by the mass graves and blown-out buildings of the Russian occupation. Instead, after months of battle, soldiers push for excruciatingly incremental gains from trenches in the grassy plains and farm fields of the country’s east and south.

It’s now a grueling artillery slugfest.

Round after round hits near Ukrainian lines, filling the air with dirt, sand and ash and forcing soldiers to burrow into deep trenches. As Ukrainian troops wait for an opening or calculate the position of a potential target, explosions resonate around them with regular thuds — sometimes for 12 hours at a time. The seeming randomness of the strikes intensifies the feeling among some that survival might come down to sheer luck.

An American fighting for Ukraine who served in the U.S. Army with combat tours in the Middle East described the constant Russian bombardment of the city of Severodonetsk in Ukraine’s Donbas region as “the closest thing I’ve ever seen to hell.”

Ukraine Armed Forces estimate that Russia is using eight times as many artillery munitions each day, firing thousands more shells than the Ukrainians and stymying their efforts.

“We lost three guys,” after fighting near Severodonetsk, the soldier said. “My commander got killed out there. A buddy of mine got killed out there. When s— like that happens, it’s hard to imagine the way forward.”

The Ukrainian losses have been steep: as many as 100 to 200 casualties per day at the worst points in the war, according to Ukraine’s own estimates. These brutal losses have eroded morale within the ranks and in other units, five non-Ukrainian soldiers said in interviews over the past month. Four of the soldiers have not made their identities public and asked that their names not be used out of concern for their security and so they could speak freely about their experiences.

“The number of people that are upset and have low morale has increased, and that’s partly because of the way the Russians have chosen to fight,” Ripley Rawlings, a retired U.S. Marine Corps lieutenant colonel and author, who is supplying foreign fighters in Ukraine through his U.S.-based organization, Ripley’s Heroes, said.

Rawlins, who traveled to Ukraine recently and is sending everything from scopes and goggles to trucks and e-bikes to the troops there, said that “about half of the units that we support have taken terrible hits lately.”

Despite the challenges, fighters who spoke to NBC News remained adamant about their commitment to pushing out the Kremlin’s forces. The soldiers admitted, however, that supply shortages, delays in receiving weapons promised by the West, and communication frustrations have challenged their spirits after months of battle.

Other common complaints included that counter-offensive strategies were undermined by older Ukrainian commanders sticking to Soviet tactics. They also noted poor communication among groups, with one soldier highlighting the lack of “a centralized unit that has everybody by the tail and knowing where people are.”

The Kremlin alleges that there are no longer any foreign fighters in Ukraine and that any who remain are mercenaries. Ukraine’s International Legion, meanwhile, said that its soldiers must follow the same disciplinary rules as other Ukrainian soldiers. They are also paid at the same rate: around $500 per month, depending on rank, with the opportunity for bonuses.

Thus they are owed the same treatment as any Ukrainian soldier if captured, said Damien Magrou, the legion’s spokesperson.

Magrou, a Dutch lawyer and a corporal in the legion, said at a news conference this month that Russian disinformation has negatively affected the group’s recruitment, reputation and fundraising, and he told NBC News on Wednesday that because of recent challenges they “are exploring avenues to widen our recruitment.”

As of now, legion members are required to have live combat experience and must pass background checks and a psychological exam to join. Citing security concerns, Magrou declined to say how many soldiers were in the legion or the number of casualties.

“There’s been a gradual dip in the number of arrivals over the course of the last few months, which isn’t very surprising given that attention in Western media has shifted elsewhere and the more motivated fighters made their decision in the beginning,” Magrou said over WhatsApp.

Magrou has said previously that more than 50 nationalities from every continent are represented in the legion and that former soldiers from the U.S. and U.K. are the most common. The Transatlantic Dialogue Center, a Kyiv-based think tank, estimated that more than 20,000 people have joined the International Legion, though it is unclear how they arrived at that figure
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Found this 80 min long audio, on YT, to be very interesting:

* Russia own the most number of artillery in Europe, followed by ........ Ukraine
* Perun claims, the problem Ukraine has is: a lot of Soviet era guns, but no ammo for them, and, a lot of NATO ammo, but no guns

Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Perun, is usually a reliable source, with western biases.

I haven't seen this particular video to make any substantial rebuttal to him. Once i see them i might be able to make more comments.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

There are numerous reports that Nato is seriously thinking of transferring fighters to Ukraine. The problem is that it takes time to set this up and rapidly expensive to maintain if they get shot down.

Long term though, Russia will have a problem if they end up with western fighters on its borders
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Fighters is easy, pilots, war time ATC, air command, AD, tactics etc are not , especially when Russia already enjoys air dominance on most of the Ukranian territory.
Yet another brilliant game changer idea, yawn !
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Cyrano wrote:Fighters is easy, pilots, war time ATC, air command, AD, tactics etc are not , especially when Russia already enjoys air dominance on most of the Ukranian territory.
Not sure what you mean by air dominance as RusAF doesn’t really go after Ukr Fighter AC which are lobbing rockets and so far only shoot down the past month has been from friendly fire incidents.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

@tanaji: Yes. There is a thought for a consortium to produce one of: Rafale, Grippen, or a Eurofighter.

By the time they discuss this, Kremlin will be in Berlin (the joke doing the rounds "This time Russia will not stop in Berlin")

However, on a serious note, three events have made such topics as fighters, HIMARS, M777 irrelevant.

Two on the Russian side:

* Lavrov very clearly stated that the amount of Ukraine taken, by Russia, will depend on the weapons the West provides to Ukraine

* Putin, in the middle of a conflict with NATO, talks about strengthening relations with African nations!!!!!!! African nations

One on the side of NATO:

SecDef Austin and Gen. Milley, at a 30+ minute presser, stated that Ukraine was winning and we need to be patient. This time I do no think anyone was fooled.

I think I see signs of resignation. Absolutely nothing has gone right in any sphere - but all problems can be traced to a disaster on the military front.

Sad.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62283196

Ukraine claims to be advancing into Kherson, and will cut off the Russian soldiers there.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Review paper on military analysts mistakes.

https://t.co/TLcpye7m1v
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Cyrano wrote:Fighters is easy, pilots, war time ATC, air command, AD, tactics etc are not , especially when Russia already enjoys air dominance on most of the Ukranian territory.
Can anyone share with me what the current Russian air combat doctrine is? Is it still mired in the Soviet GCI model. We know that the Russians don’t have a very evolved doctrine when it comes to CAS.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

ks_sachin wrote:
Can anyone share with me what the current Russian air combat doctrine is? Is it still mired in the Soviet GCI model. We know that the Russians don’t have a very evolved doctrine when it comes to CAS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnoKpXvj41A

A good presentation on helicopters in Ukraine, incl. Russian doctrine.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

One bit of Jugaad the Russians are reportedly doing against HIMARS in the Kherson region is using the S-400 radar with the S-300 missiles. the success rate in intercepting HIMARS is improving with experience.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Deans wrote:One bit of Jugaad the Russians are reportedly doing against HIMARS in the Kherson region is using the S-400 radar with the S-300 missiles. the success rate in intercepting HIMARS is improving with experience.
Could be due to issues with S-400 missiles.. That said I haven’t seen any actual intercepts of HIMARS or any Tochka by S-300/400 to date (only one I seen is Pantsir intercepting a Tochka in terminal phase), even Kherson bridge attack again yesterday was claimed to be all intercepted by Russians but footage shows missiles to have all hit the bridge. This was further confirmed by SAT images.

https://twitter.com/ukraine_world/statu ... fLqsTOwXQg

I have heard some chatter Russia is halting S-400 procurement and switching to S-350 some are stating it is due to issues they have run into in Ukraine other state it is due to chip shortage who knows.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Deans wrote:One bit of Jugaad the Russians are reportedly doing against HIMARS in the Kherson region is using the S-400 radar with the S-300 missiles. the success rate in intercepting HIMARS is improving with experience.
Any idea what the UKR are using on their HIMARS? Rockets (6 per pod) or actual missiles (1 per pod)?

BTW, some US congressman (I heard) told UKR that he will send some 40-50 more HIMARS units. So, a total of 70-80 HIMARS (+ whatever number of M270s). That is rather impressive, until one thinks about the ammo such a large fleet would need.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Ukraine was supposed to take Kherson and also trap around 1000 Russian personnel. It apparently also had destroyed or closed off for heavy traffic the only 2 bridges to the area. This was as per reports a few days ago.

Note that news item seems to have vanished…
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Strike destroys over 100 US-made HIMARS rockets – Russia

https://www.rt.com/news/559711-strike-d ... mmunition/
27 Jul, 2022
Russian forces have targeted an ammunition depot in Ukraine’s Dnepropetrovsk Region, destroying over 100 US-made HIMARS rockets, according to an update from Russia’s Defense Ministry on Wednesday.

“On July 24, a strike by Russia’s Aerospace Forces on an ammunition depot near the settlement of Lyubimovka, Dnepropetrovsk region, destroyed more than a hundred missiles for the US-made HIMARS Multiple launch rocket system,” the ministry’s report reads. It is also noted that up to 120 Ukrainian military personnel guarding the facility, as well as foreign mercenaries and technical specialists, were killed.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Tanaji wrote:Ukraine was supposed to take Kherson and also trap around 1000 Russian personnel. It apparently also had destroyed or closed off for heavy traffic the only 2 bridges to the area. This was as per reports a few days ago.

Note that news item seems to have vanished…
That’s why you cannot take any claim seriously from either side without visual confirmation
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqyFPbWM86E

looks like there is damage on one of the bridges on Dinniper near kherson.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Comparing Kargil to Ukraine from artillery usage.

https://www.gunnersshot.com/2022/07/ukr ... ge-of.html

I think IA will get more K-9 guns and procure more mobile guns.