Russian-Ukrainian War: Combat Tactics & Strategy

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
kit
BRF Oldie

Re: Russian-Ukrainian War: Combat Tactics & Strategy

Post by kit »

IndraD wrote:Noting that while in India many channels around with different opinion, US is ruled by one opinion on every channel & news portals (CNN CBN CNBC) everyone has gone woke and pushing for war sitting far away in comforts of ivory tower (heck what even UK Europe collateral damage of this war are pushing for brinkmanship). India comes across as far more mature in nuance and stance when it comes to international problems and issues than west where no one is allowed to speak truth, not even on social media. No wonder US dumbocrats come across as brain washed zombies (even in family & friends).
So that assumption certianly has merit that US is in middle of colour revolution itself and this war is a Western liberal's imperialistic war. A circuit of corruption for MIC is being formed which no one will be able to challenge for centuries.
Only thing that can stop this madness is a full fledged implosion in the US itself.
US MIC has become a ruthless ravaging entity , the rest of the world is a big pizza to be eaten
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

I wish for a day when Indian MIC is in a position to eat the Pizza.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

US must have gathered lots of evidence regarding how defunct Russian army is before waging the war, what are the chances they have leverage over Russian nukes? Or later will not work when the time comes?
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

That is a chance they would not like to take.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

However the performance of the RU army is not a surprise and could be predicted form a no of factors.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

ks_sachin wrote:I wish for a day when Indian MIC is in a position to eat the Pizza.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

An idealistic view which can only work if all others sing of the same Veda!!!

Jiski lathi uski Bhains!!!
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

YashG wrote:A russia in turmoil will lead to russia having to choose with whom - india or china will it choose to have a junior relationship with. Both India and China have enough demand to absorb russian exports of natural resources and provide russia back with industrial goods it needs.

However China is much better suited to this job but Putin may want to prefer India.

However I do not see how war in Ukraine will end in favor of Russia. Even after mobilization. Their ranks seem to be crumbling and NATO ISR is a great multiplier for Ukraine.

I had posted earlier, Ukrainian govt needs 2-3 Bn USD / Month to survive as an administrative entity. If Russia can do what it is doing for next 10 months (!!!???!!!) - US will have to call off the funding of Ukn'n government - then you could see a collapse of Ukrainian command that will split into smaller rebel groups.
Closer to both. They require an insurance policy against China and a conduit to western markets, technology, and capital. Only India can provide this to them. We also stabilize their position within the SCO.

We are also in a position to pick up the slack and give security to central asian countries like Armenia and keep the Turks in check by supplying the Greeks. Russia values this as they are tied up with NATO and Ukraine and so not want to Chinese and Turks stepping in and eroding their influence in their own neighborhood.
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

I don't know but have people noticed that all UkR soldiers seem to have AK's equipped with 'silencers' in fact is all the footage that I have seen every single rifle is equipped with a silencer. Not many NVG on display by the average solider, only special forces types seem to have NVG's.
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

RoyG wrote: We are also in a position to pick up the slack and give security to central asian countries like Armenia and keep the Turks in check by supplying the Greeks. Russia values this as they are tied up with NATO and Ukraine and so not want to Chinese and Turks stepping in and eroding their influence in their own neighborhood.
Sure we can supply the greeks but why will they prefer us over nato supplies? (If i'm missing something here - will like to know)

+ We made a good move by $245 Mn defence deal with Armenia but I do not think we can help armenia materially. Azerbaijan has 6X the GDP of armenia. With this $245 usd order Armenia has put up 2-3% of their GDP in a single foreign order. This may not be enough against the Azerbaijanis.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

YashG wrote:
RoyG wrote: We are also in a position to pick up the slack and give security to central asian countries like Armenia and keep the Turks in check by supplying the Greeks. Russia values this as they are tied up with NATO and Ukraine and so not want to Chinese and Turks stepping in and eroding their influence in their own neighborhood.
Sure we can supply the greeks but why will they prefer us over nato supplies? (If i'm missing something here - will like to know)

+ We made a good move by $245 Mn defence deal with Armenia but I do not think we can help armenia materially. Azerbaijan has 6X the GDP of armenia. With this $245 usd order Armenia has put up 2-3% of their GDP in a single foreign order. This may not be enough against the Azerbaijanis.
Turkey is also part of NATO and they are playing a very complex game with EU, China, Russia, and US. NATO won't intervene significantly between two member states especially with the current hostilities with Russia. Greece will have to look to other partners for more cutting edge weapons and intelligence and who have the ability to work with the Kurds and other groups who can pressure the Turks. They would also like to partner with a potential future UNSC permanent member who can represent their interests outside of NATO.

I feel there is also a general concern within the Greek political and military establishment that an orthodox Christian majority state like Armenia is having trouble finding partners outside of Russia and Iran to fight against the same Turks who are backing Azeris. In any future conflict NATO membership may not be enough to settle any future conflict with the Turks in their favor especially with a potential upgrade in status of Turkey within SCO.
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

RoyG wrote:
Turkey is also part of NATO and they are playing a very complex game with EU, China, Russia, and US. NATO won't intervene significantly between two member states especially with the current hostilities with Russia. Greece will have to look to other partners for more cutting edge weapons and intelligence and
Sure I agree, Nato cant choose favorites between the two but in terms of cutting edge, Indian tech is unlikely to be more cutting edge than what nato itself can supply. Im assuming here while nato cant take sides but it will still make Greece available whatever nato has to offer. Is there anything that indian MIC can offer to greece that creates an advantage over something that NATO (a) cant or (b) wont offer?

for (a) cost might be a factor - obviously some stuff india will offer can be cheaper than NATO stuff - if that allows greece to accumulate more hardware for less. What else ?

btw I agree this post is OT in russo-ukn'n war. Mods shud put you and mine post in the other thread.
KrishnaK
BRFite

Post by KrishnaK »

NRao wrote:Some 20 nations, claims WashPost, have decided to increase arms production in support of UKR.

We are headed for WW3. First war among nations of the world.

Previous two were among European nations, supported by their colonies, who did not have a say.
For it to be a world war, which countries are going to be fighting on the other side lol?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

KrishnaK wrote:
NRao wrote:Some 20 nations, claims WashPost, have decided to increase arms production in support of UKR.

We are headed for WW3. First war among nations of the world.

Previous two were among European nations, supported by their colonies, who did not have a say.
For it to be a world war, which countries are going to be fighting on the other side lol?
Excellent question.

I would counter with who will join the West. As an example, under the current situation would Italy?

Germany? A hollowed out, economically disabled Germany?

UK, with LESS than 80,000 in their army, and a dysfunctional economy?

A US fighting a peer miles away? The US is preparing, as a FYI, to fight China. While I can buy that American politicians are rha rha about Russia, the Def dept is 100% focused on China. 100%.
Last edited by NRao on 30 Sep 2022 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

A war need not be an armed conflict.

India might not be happy with the Russians in Ukraine. But it also cannot be a part of the western alliance.

The Chinese also cannot be a part of the western alliance.

The US will be happy with a G2 with PRC.

Japanese will be compelled to rearm themselves. If the G2 happens.

This is a world in a state of flux and we are in for very interesting few decades.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

No G2.

Not under those that have started UKR.

G2 died with Obama.

Wall Strret could be interested. But, DoD would oppose it tooth and nail.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Watch this Scott Ritter interview with an ex Russian general and now member of parliament
https://youtu.be/OM7Q5ybutB0
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

rajkumar wrote:I don't know but have people noticed that all UkR soldiers seem to have AK's equipped with 'silencers' in fact is all the footage that I have seen every single rifle is equipped with a silencer. Not many NVG on display by the average solider, only special forces types seem to have NVG's.
It may not be a silencer, but a flash supressor. For those who are unaware - It's not to make the flash invisible, but to prevent the shooter from being briefly blinded by his own gun's flash.
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

Deans wrote:
rajkumar wrote:I don't know but have people noticed that all UkR soldiers seem to have AK's equipped with 'silencers' in fact is all the footage that I have seen every single rifle is equipped with a silencer. Not many NVG on display by the average solider, only special forces types seem to have NVG's.
It may not be a silencer, but a flash supressor. For those who are unaware - It's not to make the flash invisible, but to prevent the shooter from being briefly blinded by his own gun's flash.
It's a silencer Deans, the clip that I saw had the solider discharge his weapon into the ground and the sound was not normal AK sound. Let me see if I can find that clip

Last edited by rajkumar on 30 Sep 2022 20:08, edited 2 times in total.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Folks, there is a Ukraine Geopolitical thread, lets keep this for military topics onree... Thank you.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Ukraine's President Zelensky applies for fast-track membership of Nato, after Russia annexed part of Ukraine, of the size Austria and 10 million people
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

-- deleted -- moved to thread: Russian-Ukranian War: Geopolitical Fallout
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://twitter.com/AAhronheim/status/1 ... KFCYRtW69w
Israeli intelligence firm
@ImageSatIntl
has detected an “irregular presence” of Russian TU-160 & TU-95 strategic bombers deployed to Olenya Airbase. The base, on the Kola Peninsula, houses a significant number of military hardware, including tactical & strategic nuclear weapons
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/sta ... KFCYRtW69w There are now two Boeing E6 Mercury aircraft in the sky over the USA. This is a command and control aircraft. It is designed to provide a backup communication system with nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines, and is also used as an air post for US Strategic Command.

So both US & UK have moved their N arsenals ready to use
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Poland preps anti-radiation tablets over nuclear threat
https://insiderpaper.com/poland-preps-a ... ar-threat/

Pro US handles are confident even before a Ru missile is fired US would know and turn RU into ashes
dnivas
BRFite

Post by dnivas »

IndraD wrote:Poland preps anti-radiation tablets over nuclear threat
https://insiderpaper.com/poland-preps-a ... ar-threat/

Pro US handles are confident even before a Ru missile is fired US would know and turn RU into ashes
I believe RU runs off a dead man switch system, if some parameters are crossed [radiation, signal loss] is measured in Russia then the system automatically spews out missiles to predetermined targets. So i dont think the US is safe even if they turn Russia to ash.
Nihat
BRFite

Post by Nihat »

Russian troops appear to be encircled around Lyman and it might be a matter of days before they either surrender, flee or are killed. This might open the way for further advances by Ukraine in the Donstek region before winter comes around.

The chances of Russia surprising Ukraine troops is also low because they are being backed by pin point western intelligence. Wonder what consequences this will have in terms of Russian retaliation, what are their options now.

Another aspect one wonders about is the morale and training of troops in Russia who are being thrust into battle. This might be counter productive in the short term even as they may hastily retreat or begin revolting in the face of a threat to life.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Utter nonsense! No logic or evidence, just insinuations. This is some NYT or BRF?!
dnivas
BRFite

Post by dnivas »

Nihat wrote:Russian troops appear to be encircled around Lyman and it might be a matter of days before they either surrender, flee or are killed. This might open the way for further advances by Ukraine in the Donstek region before winter comes around.

The chances of Russia surprising Ukraine troops is also low because they are being backed by pin point western intelligence. Wonder what consequences this will have in terms of Russian retaliation, what are their options now.

Another aspect one wonders about is the morale and training of troops in Russia who are being thrust into battle. This might be counter productive in the short term even as they may hastily retreat or begin revolting in the face of a threat to life.
man what are you smoking. Yesterday Russia just added 100,000 Sq KM of Ukr territory. Ukr is wrangling over 4000 sq km near Liman. If we use your logic that Russians have low morale, bad training, then what about Ukr that has lost 25 times the territory that they are fighting for now.

The region was defended by locals and not that many Russian troops. But Liman does have Russian troops. so let's see in the next few weeks what happens. I agree that they are in a slightly precarious situation but there is still one road into town that can supply [thgh flanked on both sides], also the news is that these troops in town do have supplies for a couple of months.

Ukr has until October to do whatever push they can before the sledgehammer falls on them. Also where are you getting your news from?
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/ru ... cbc96945bf

Newsweek article about the Lyman encirclement. Mentions the Russian installed governor or Donetsk as confirming that the Lyman is partially encircled.
A defeat in Lyman would be a bad thing for Russia.

The exact situation will become clear over the next few days and we will see if its just Western propaganda or there is some truth to this.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Russians have demonstrated again and again in this conflict that they can make the adversary go from being the hunter to the hunted. Encercling means AFU have to come together from several directions and concentrate in liman. That will present Russian arty umpteen opportunities to do what they do best.

But will they defend Liman strongly, reinforcing the troops there or retreat after rescuing their troops or let those troops get encircled remains to be seen.

Its a bad situation yes, but from the overall SMO perspective it doesn't change anything much.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

^^^
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/uk ... 022-10-01/
Russia has used Lyman as a logistics and transport hub for its operations in the north of the Donetsk region.
Loss of logistics hub will have repercussions for ability to get troops and material into theatre? Russia had 5,000 troops there for a good reason presumably.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Lyman has fallen, as per Russian media. Until yesterday, they were confident that Russia reinforcements had arrived and broken the blockade around it. This is Russia's most serious defeat at a tactical level, since the start of this war (or perhaps since WW2).

In the previous Ukraine offensive (Kharkov to Izyum) the Russian spin was that the Ukrainians punched air, while taking heavy casualties and that the small Russian force withdrew in an organized way, for Ukraine to occupy unimportant territory.
This time, the Ukrainian forces that attacked Lyman were supposedly those that were completely battered by weeks of Russian bombardments
some had reportedly suffered 200% casualties). They crossed the river at multiple places, whereas the Russians could not do the same thing for months.
The LPR forces defending Lyman did hold off the Ukrainians long enough for the Russian regular army to arrive. The Russians supposedly had overwhelming artillery and air superiority and though outnumbered it should have been enough to hold the area, which they could not.

There is an open letter from the Chechen leader Kadarov, to Putin which minces no words - Kadryov has spent more time at the front than any Russian leader and his Chechen forces have done some of the toughest fighting.
(Translation) I have always said: there is nothing better than the voiced truth, albeit bitter, offensive, but the truth. This is the only way to move forward. Therefore, I cannot remain silent about what happened in Krasny Liman.

The defense of this section was led by the commander of the Central Military District, Colonel-General Alexander Lapin. The same Lapin, who received the star of the Hero of Russia for the capture of Lisichansk, although de facto he was not there and was not around. Lapin was also given over to the troops of the Western Military District.

The colonel-general deployed mobilized fighters from the LPR and other units on all frontiers of the Liman direction, but did not provide them with the necessary communications, interaction and the supply of ammunition. Two weeks ago, Major General Commander of the special forces "Akhmat", my dear BROTHER Apty Alaudinov, personally reported to me that our fighters could become an easy target. In turn, I informed Valery Gerasimov, Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, about the danger. But the general assured me that he had no doubts about Lapin's leadership talent and did not believe that a retreat was possible in Krasny Liman and its environs.

A week later, Lapin moves his headquarters to Starobilsk, a hundred kilometers from his subordinates, while he sits himself in Lugansk. How can you quickly manage units, being 150 km away from them? Due to the lack of elementary military logistics, today we have left several settlements and a large piece of territory.

It's not a shame that Lapin is mediocre. And the fact that he is covered at the top by the leaders in the General Staff. If I had my way, I would have demoted Lapin to the rank of private, would have deprived him of his awards and, with a machine gun in his hands, would have sent him to the front lines to wash away my shame with blood.

Army nepotism will not lead to good. In the army, it is necessary to appoint people of a strong character, courageous, principled, who worry about their fighters, who tear their teeth for their soldier, who know that a subordinate cannot be left without help and support. There is no place for nepotism in the army, especially in difficult times.

We didn't have enough raisins? Even then, I said: shoot at the enemy’s military concentration in the Izyum captured by the Nazis, especially since our artillery at that time had such an opportunity. They would have done away with the main Satanists and fascists at once. We must carry out NWO in the full sense of the word, and not flirt. Use every opportunity and every weapon to defend OUR territory. Donetsk is still being shelled. Residents of the joined 4 territories want to be protected.

I don't know what the RF Ministry of Defense reports to the Supreme Commander-in-Chief, but in my personal opinion, more drastic measures should be taken, up to the declaration of martial law in the border areas and the use of low-yield nuclear weapons. It is not necessary to take every decision with an eye on the Western American community - it has already said so and done a lot against us.
Yesterday there was a parade in Izyum, today a flag in Liman, and what tomorrow?
Everything would be fine if it weren't so bad.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-63100522
The town is also a key railway centre, connecting the Donetsk, Luhansk and Kharkiv regions in Ukraine's east and north-east.

As many as 5,000 Russian troops have been deployed in Lyman, and its recapture by Ukraine would be one of Russia's worst military defeats since the start of its invasion on 24 February.

It would allow Ukrainian troops to completely mop up the northern part of the Donetsk region and move further into neighbouring Luhansk region.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.rt.com/russia/563866-krasny ... al-troops/

Russian forces withdraw from key Donbass city – military
The troops had to leave the city of Krasny Liman due to the threat of encirclement, Moscow has confirmed

unlike BBCet al, west rags, RT is speaking truth on war
Arima
BRFite

Post by Arima »

so Russ withdraw and lost its own Town and moved back. since yesterday these are Russ land and Russ ppl. what are they going to do about it?
any timeline when 300k new soldiers will get mobilized?
it looks Russia want winter to set in before 300k more men on battlefield.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

votes were held in Luhansk and Donetsk in the east, and in Zaporizhzhia and Kherson in the south https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63072113

it doesn't appear to be part of annaexed ukraine into Russia .
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Well that's terrible. It is not far from Luhansk city.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

IndraD wrote:https://www.rt.com/russia/563866-krasny ... al-troops/

The troops had to leave the city of Krasny Liman due to the threat of encirclement, Moscow has confirmed

After leaving ilium Russia now has lost Lyman. This is major victory for Ukraine
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Atmavik wrote:
IndraD wrote:https://www.rt.com/russia/563866-krasny ... al-troops/

After leaving iziyum Russia now has lost Lyman. This is major victory for Ukraine