Doc,

Thanx for bringing out AI2K5 VCD.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Manne wrote:Doc,

The pleasure is mine manne.

I actually have a LOT of footage other than Aero India as well. I would really love to bring out a DVD with a focus on Indian def related companies - video clips and then hi-res still photos with either a voice over or a subtitled description of things.

For example the CD has a scene showing night vision devices. Many people have posted some great pics of stuff that is on the CD and I really think it would be nice to have a detailed descriptive DVD as a work of love made over several months.

I also have a lot of other footage that I would like ot compile. Inshallah i will be able to get some more stuff out in due course.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Shiv & Jagan: Pls check your email for 2 emails; the first 2 installment of my photos. Pls ack by email.
-Arun S
Manne
BRFite

Post by Manne »

shiv wrote:Inshallah i will be able to get some more stuff out in due course.
*slurp*
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

Today's Update - Kh series of tactical missiles
Did you get the brochures for these?
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

None were available when I checked out the stall.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

shiv wrote:
Manne wrote:Doc,

The pleasure is mine manne.

I actually have a LOT of footage other than Aero India as well. I would really love to bring out a DVD with a focus on Indian def related companies - video clips and then hi-res still photos with either a voice over or a subtitled description of things.

For example the CD has a scene showing night vision devices. Many people have posted some great pics of stuff that is on the CD and I really think it would be nice to have a detailed descriptive DVD as a work of love made over several months.

I also have a lot of other footage that I would like ot compile. Inshallah i will be able to get some more stuff out in due course.
*slurp*, *slurp*, *slurp*....
afadia
BRFite -Trainee

Post by afadia »

Can someone write a review of the CD? Is a DVD version expected? Isn't that a better thing to buy than the CD? If yes, when is it expected to be released?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

afadia wrote:Can someone write a review of the CD? Is a DVD version expected? Isn't that a better thing to buy than the CD? If yes, when is it expected to be released?
A DVD version of this VCD will not be made Do not expect ANY DVD anytime in the near future. There may be no DVD at all depending on various things.

If I spend any more time on video-making I will get kicked out of my house.
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

Why not include Kapil's Vayu Shakti vids (or .asf clips of them) as a bonus?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

shiv wrote:If I spend any more time on video-making I will get kicked out of my house.
You too? :lol: :rotfl: I am in the same boat as well...
George J

Post by George J »

shiv wrote: A DVD version of this VCD will not be made ............
Wait till i get my hands on it.....VCD is so passe'....so old school.....:twisted:

If the BR oligarchs want I can try cranking out some Region 1 DVD for the amrki infidels (with mandatory BR jingo tax off course)....but you will have to wait a few months...
Manne
BRFite

Post by Manne »

Jagan wrote:
shiv wrote:If I spend any more time on video-making I will get kicked out of my house.
You too? :lol: :rotfl: I am in the same boat as well...
But that's impossible. After all, BR *is* your home. :P
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Manne wrote:
Jagan wrote: You too? :lol: :rotfl: I am in the same boat as well...
But that's impossible. After all, BR *is* your home. :P
Oh great, Just what is needed is for people in my home to know that I got a 'second' home :D . Getting Kicked out is a certainity.

GJMan

I think making a DVD out of a VCD is a lost cause. I think you will have to make a DVD directly out of the DV (AVI format) for better quality visuals.
George J

Post by George J »

Jagan wrote:
GJMan

I think making a DVD out of a VCD is a lost cause. I think you will have to make a DVD directly out of the DV (AVI format) for better quality visuals.
Isnt the file in the AVSEQ directory a AVI file? If Doc or anyone can provide me with the master file (final cut) I can try authoring a DVD version.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

George J wrote:
Isnt the file in the AVSEQ directory a AVI file? If Doc or anyone can provide me with the master file (final cut) I can try authoring a DVD version.
GJman - we could fill a separate thread discussing these issues here.

The avseq file is an Mpeg 1 file. DVDs are mpeg 2. The conversion will increase file size but not improve quality.

I have an analog camocorder (for legacy reasons) and I grabbed the whole video in mpeg2 format, but discovered that some fast action scenes (of flying) were much better in the mpeg 1 format because antialiasing lines were appearing on the DVD (mpeg 2) format. However the slow moving scenes of halls etc were better in the mpag 2 (DVD) format. So I grabbed the entire video in both mpeg 1 and mpeg 2 format and for the vcd I converted mpeg 2 to mpeg 1.

I have archived the original videos in mpeg 2 and mpeg 1 formats - but I must admit that my personal ability to work with DVD quality mpeg 2 has come up only in the last 6 months or so. In fact the original videograbs in almost uncompressed mpeg 2 quality amount to about 6 gigabytes and I needed 2 single layered DVDs to archive them. Even DVDs lose quality from that level from compression Many of my earlier videos are mpeg 1 VCD quality grabs - often taken from videotapes - which were no always of the best quality.

In fact I had the "Akash Yodha" video recorded on video CD from a tape long before it was released commercially as Akash Yodha - and even today the mpeg of a sabre being shot down on the BR page is from that tape and not from the Akash Yodha CD
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Anyone catch the LCRA research a/c by NAL at AI? I believe its one cool looking small plane and was apparently displayed at AI-05. The LCRA= Light Canard Research aircraft..
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

JCage wrote:Anyone catch the LCRA research a/c by NAL at AI? I believe its one cool looking small plane and was apparently displayed at AI-05. The LCRA= Light Canard Research aircraft..
I got a picture if a plane that looked like a small Rutan Varieze - which is on the VCD. I later saw the thing fly - but that was after the show - I saw it take off as I was leaving with expended film and batteries.

I wonder if that is the one you are takling about -let me tray and do a videograb from the VCD.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Yes, its the Rutan Vari Ez or the Long Ez that was built by NAL from a kit and named the LCRA.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

NAL mentions that the kit a/c was made using foam, resin and FG...another dood says it was a pretty small bird...seemed intriguing...

Thanks Shivji!
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

Kopyo-M

MMR Pic-1

MMR Pic-2

MMR Pic-3

MMR Pic-4

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

JCage wrote:Anyone catch the LCRA research a/c by NAL at AI? I believe its one cool looking small plane and was apparently displayed at AI-05. The LCRA= Light Canard Research aircraft..
From Vishak's pics

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/uplo ... anard1.jpg
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/uplo ... anard2.jpg
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

shiv wrote:
From Vishak's pics

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/uplo ... anard1.jpg
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/uplo ... anard2.jpg

incidentally i just came back from dinner after meeting a friend who knows quite a bit about the civil aviation sector. He confirmed that this is not NAL's Longez, but a ..hold your breath.. a privately owned LongEz ...a gent from Tamil Nadu built it. It carries a US Registration because the owner does not want the jhanjat of certifying it from DGCA. so every three months he flies to Colombo and back so that he can keep the foreign registration live...
afadia
BRFite -Trainee

Post by afadia »

Jagan wrote:Yes, its the Rutan Vari Ez or the Long Ez that was built by NAL from a kit and named the LCRA.
I dont think NAL built it from a Kit. but it appears they built it from Rutans plans.
http://www.cmmacs.ernet.in/nal/pages/damania.htm
My second phase of close collaboration with RBD was ten years later, in the mid-80's, when he started building the Rutan Long-Ez ("LCRA") aircraft at NAL. Being the only aeronautical engineer in the Systems Division Division, I was put under him for this programme as soon as I returned from Germany. It was an intense period of learning and doing. Mr D V Bakshi and his team joined us and ably fabricated the LCRA.

I still remember those LCRA fabrication days vividly. Damania's untiring spirit and zeal to build a flying machine was unmatched. Such was his passion that he would not think twice about shuttling from NAL to HAL to Jakkur to City Market all in one day on his reliable motorbike. Especially memorable were those drives across the runway to HAL whenever we needed something from HAL. Most normal beings went to HAL by public roads, but Rustom was different! He was always in a hurry.

The LCRA was built, flown and went on to become the bedrock for small aircraft development at NAL. Damania had a grand plan for flight research activity at NAL and even thought of using the LCRA for aerial photography and remote sensing. Damania loved Rutan's design from the beginning and this love endured till his last days, when he was involved in some special studies on LCRA's flying performance. Even earlier, Damania had offered to use Rutan's approach to build and test fly an 80% LCA derivative to generate flight data.
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

He confirmed that this is not NAL's Longez, but a ..hold your breath.. a privately owned LongEz ...a gent from Tamil Nadu built it. It carries a US Registration because the owner does not want the jhanjat of certifying it from DGCA. so every three months he flies to Colombo and back so that he can keep the foreign registration live...
Who? Pawan Kaula?
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Jagan/Shiv: My airshow photos online pls.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Arun_S wrote:Jagan/Shiv: My airshow photos online pls.
Working on em now..should be up in a few hours.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Arun - Jagan is ahead of me - I am still downloading your images. Will complete the download today and see if I can help Jagman - depending on what he shortlists.

Only now am I getting time to see the images that various people have put up or sent me in detail..

One pic that Vishak has given me is a description of and a photo of "Invar"

I recall seeing a discussion of Invar on this thread a coupel of weeks ago. What the hell is it? Does anyone want me to upload the pictures and info board image?

There seems to be a plethotra of night vision and low light vision devices now. I have pictures - but does anyone know what they do and what the different thingies are???
Raj Malhotra
BRFite

Post by Raj Malhotra »

shiv wrote:
One pic that Vishak has given me is a description of and a photo of "Invar"
Invar IIRC is T-90 launched laser beam riding ATGM
George J

Post by George J »

Raj Malhotra wrote:Invar IIRC is T-90 launched laser beam riding ATGM
.....witha range of 500 m. :D
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Jagan: Thanks for uploading the 62 photos. Keep it coming.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Jagan wrote:Some of Aruns Pictures
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/ArunS/index.htm
Stunning!
The LCA pics are the best Ive seen so far.

Question: Have the full-size pics been edited for size?
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Neela wrote:
Stunning!
The LCA pics are the best Ive seen so far.

Question: Have the full-size pics been edited for size?
Thanks.
Yes, the photos was taken on Olympus C750 (4 megapixle with 10x optical zoom); the pictures were later edited to frame the aircraft in the center.
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

Yes, the photos was taken on Olympus C750 (4 megapixle with 10x optical zoom); the pictures were later edited to frame the aircraft in the center
What about the previous set that was first uploaded to BR's AI gallery? Surely, they must have been SLR! :-? :-?

Also, I remember you once telling Rakesh, 5 MP!
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

I carried 2 digital camaras for Aero-India so that I do not run out of memory or battery. For most I used the new Olympus C750 (4Mpix & 10x Optical zoom), and man 10x is good but it requires very steady hand to uniformly pan the montion to get good photo of aircraft zooming past. And then I had my trusted Pentex Optio550 that is 5 MPix but only 5x optical zoom). I shot 20% photos on Pentex Optio and the balance 80% on Olympus.
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

Shalav
BRFite

Post by Shalav »

Arun

Try neatimage to clean up noise from your digital images.

a demo version for non-commercial use is available at

http://www.neatimage.com/

To see what i mean I used P1010065.jpg images from above link - (didn't ask your permission - but this is for a good cause)

original image in BR

and

http://uploadforbr.netfirms.com/images/ ... ltered.jpg - cleaned up image

Copy and paste the above to your address bar to see the image.

A lot more cleaning than this can be done. This was done in default mode. You can choose the amount of filtering and sharpening from within the program and based on your exif info shutter / iso / aperture you can save these settings for future use. There is also a batch processing option IIRC.

Noise proifle for your Olympus camera is also available from the same site.
George J

Post by George J »

Shalav:

Your s/w used madrass mathematics to smoothen out the background :D ...its not done much for the image quality itself.....the edges around the image are more pronounced around the endge of the subject.

I am not impressed.....There is no substitution for original image quality. There is not much you can do with an ordinary digicam.