Aero India - pics, clips and anecdotes

Jagan
Webmaster BR
Posts: 3035
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Earth @ Google.com
Contact:

Postby Jagan » 29 Mar 2005 19:35

Arun_S wrote:Here are my 92 photos of Static Aircraft display. .


Arun, there are 137 Photos there.. 15 to a page ;)

Arun_S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2800
Joined: 14 Jun 2000 11:31
Location: KhyberDurra

Postby Arun_S » 29 Mar 2005 19:48

I stand corrected those are 137 phots not 92.

Thanks Jagan.

Vishak
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 7
Joined: 21 May 2001 11:31
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Postby Vishak » 29 Mar 2005 22:44

Arun,
Great photos. Truly impressive. I guess your Nikon camera has proved its might :D Flankers have turned out really well. The MiG-29 under fuselage shot is too good.

BTW, did anybody else notice this (it could be by monitor color settings as well), but in some of your flanker photos, the grey camo appears as light blue ones, worn by Su-30K? Did u do some color reduction or any other mods?
-Vishak

appuseth
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 39
Joined: 10 Feb 2004 12:31
Location: United States

AeroIndia article

Postby appuseth » 29 Mar 2005 23:57

Harry,

I just wanted to point something out. The Zhuk-M radar in the Mig-29M2 has a diameter of 680 mm, according to the following source:

http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_293.shtml

Arun_S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2800
Joined: 14 Jun 2000 11:31
Location: KhyberDurra

Postby Arun_S » 30 Mar 2005 00:33

Vishak wrote:Arun,
Great photos. Truly impressive. I guess your Nikon camera has proved its might :D Flankers have turned out really well. The MiG-29 under fuselage shot is too good.

BTW, did anybody else notice this (it could be by monitor color settings as well), but in some of your flanker photos, the grey camo appears as light blue ones, worn by Su-30K? Did u do some color reduction or any other mods?
-Vishak

Thanks. BTW a small correction: I used Olympus 750 and Pentex Optio 550.

For Mig29 I had an invitation to photo it witout the port covers, but alas I ran out of time and the schedule didnt fit. Else it would have been ...

No I did not adjust color on Su30MKI photos.

Personally I am proud of some good & unique photos I took of Jagaur, ALH, Chetan, IJT & MKI. Did you look into Saturn's tail pipe?

Couple of ALH photos take from ground floor level I think are very good.

Can someone tell me what is on SU30MKI's front wheels? Look into this photo or this {the white pants around the wheel with 80 degree sector} . I saw that it is removed by a ground crew very late, just before final taxi to runway, and it looked very dangerous, because the ground crew have to access the front wheel while engines are running and its so close to engine intakes.

Jagan
Webmaster BR
Posts: 3035
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Earth @ Google.com
Contact:

Postby Jagan » 30 Mar 2005 01:15

It looks like a mudguard to prevent engine FoD. some of the miG29s in indian service were retrofitted with similar gizmos midway ..

NRao
BRF Oldie
Posts: 16052
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Illini Nation

Postby NRao » 30 Mar 2005 01:22

They are mud gaurds. (Earlier versions of Su-27s did not have them.)

But why would they be removed before flight?

Harry
BRFite
Posts: 365
Joined: 20 Jun 2000 11:31
Contact:

Re: AeroIndia article

Postby Harry » 30 Mar 2005 02:09

appuseth wrote:Harry,

I just wanted to point something out. The Zhuk-M radar in the Mig-29M2 has a diameter of 680 mm, according to the following source:

http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_293.shtml


You can tell him that it's wrong.

Arun_S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2800
Joined: 14 Jun 2000 11:31
Location: KhyberDurra

Postby Arun_S » 12 Apr 2005 00:23

Arun_S wrote:Here are my 92 photos of Static Aircraft display. It has some unusual photos for the eyes of the discerning (I took to heart feedback from last Aero India 2003).

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/ArunS/2index.htm


Some of the items are not documented. Pls help fill in and also any feedback/brickbats are welcome.

Thanks Jagan for indexing them.


Did anyone else see these photos?

Himanshu
BRFite
Posts: 191
Joined: 25 Sep 2002 11:31
Location: Mumbai

Postby Himanshu » 12 Apr 2005 00:40

Hi Arun..

It might be trivial.. but can you tell me about he build quality, fit and finish of the Indian built aircrafts displayed and the ones manufactured outside including the likes as MKI and F-15's... also about the chopper and the transports..

:)

srai
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4087
Joined: 23 Oct 2001 11:31

Postby srai » 12 Apr 2005 04:47

Arun_S wrote:
Arun_S wrote:Here are my 92 photos of Static Aircraft display. It has some unusual photos for the eyes of the discerning (I took to heart feedback from last Aero India 2003).

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/ArunS/2index.htm


Some of the items are not documented. Pls help fill in and also any feedback/brickbats are welcome.

Thanks Jagan for indexing them.


Did anyone else see these photos?



These are great ... IMO, best close up details!


Cool view of ALH ... hope these make it into BR.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/Arun ... ective.JPG
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/Arun ... ective.jpg
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/ArunS/P1010298.JPG
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/Arun ... 0Hoist.JPG

HJT
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/ArunS/IMGP0401.jpg

Arun_S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2800
Joined: 14 Jun 2000 11:31
Location: KhyberDurra

Postby Arun_S » 12 Apr 2005 19:25

Himanshu wrote:Hi Arun..

It might be trivial.. but can you tell me about he build quality, fit and finish of the Indian built aircrafts displayed and the ones manufactured outside including the likes as MKI and F-15's... also about the chopper and the transports..

:)

Himanshu: Good question. So most Indian built aircraft of the earlier vintage aka Kiran, Mig21, Chetak have the finish of those times in terms of riviting and exterior finish and similar to those manufactured outside. New aircraft like IJT and ALH have a quality & workmenship like those of contemporary videshi maal. The workmen ship on re-engined Chetan was very good. I would say ALH is much superior than anything I have seen against phoren choppers.

In terms of exterior glitz/painwork, however there is some catchup to do. But hey I am willing to let TSP take lead on paint job. I dont mind. For what matter is shooting colourful Puki ducks. :twisted:

sekhon
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 9
Joined: 17 Mar 2005 08:26
Location: Victoria, B.C. Canada
Contact:

Surya Kirans at AeroIndia2005 & Canadian Snowbirds at Co

Postby sekhon » 23 Apr 2005 00:01

Just saw the Canadian Snowbirds training session at Comox Air Force base located in the picturesque Comox Valley on Vancouver Island yesterday.

Here are some merged pictures of the Surya Kirans from AeroIndia 2005, and the Snowbirds warming up for the 2005 air show season. They are so similar in composition, markings, aerial sequences, etc.. that it is hard to tell them apart sometimes !

http://www3.telus.net/sekhon/SuryaKirans-Snowbirds-web/

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Ken

AnantD
BRFite
Posts: 194
Joined: 04 Mar 2001 12:31
Location: Aurora, Illinois, USA

Postby AnantD » 23 Apr 2005 04:28

Posted by Arun S:
Can someone tell me what is on SU30MKI's front wheels? Look into this photo or this {the white pants around the wheel with 80 degree sector} .


Believe it or not, according to this book I have on Russian A/C, that is a device to break up snow (or mud) when landing in snow-covered fields and prevent it from hitting the fuselage.

Cezanne
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 3
Joined: 26 Mar 2005 02:53
Location: Sipping Chardonnay at Els Quatre Gats

Postby Cezanne » 23 Apr 2005 07:12

Jagan wrote:It looks like a mudguard to prevent engine FoD. some of the miG29s in indian service were retrofitted with similar gizmos midway ..


All were retrofitted.

OK, this is what happened:

MiG-29s would use the louvres (upper air intakes) while doing a take off, so that no FOD etc. But as the Fulcrum rolled, the NLG threw up gravel, and some of it got stuck on the covers of the intakes, so when the louvres were closed for normal intake, this gravel got ingested and resulted in compressor blade damage on the RD-33s. (??).

So, two Mods were done.

1. The "mud guards"
2. The intake covers were modified (iirc) such that nooks/crannies for gravel were eliminated.

davidn
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 82
Joined: 30 Jan 2001 12:31

Postby davidn » 23 Apr 2005 14:37

Arun_S wrote:
In terms of exterior glitz/painwork, however there is some catchup to do. But hey I am willing to let TSP take lead on paint job. I dont mind. For what matter is shooting colourful Puki ducks. :twisted:


I think we're learning, slowly. The ALH's, IJT's and the PV2 mockup were very very pretty indeed.

I especially liked our shiny goldenboy civil variant Dhruv :)

terrific photos btw!

Victor
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2645
Joined: 24 Apr 2001 11:31

Postby Victor » 23 Apr 2005 20:25

From Arun's photos, never noticed before how Global Hawkish the unmanned NAL LCRA looked. With our capabilities (Antrix), this should not be too much of a stretch? Those wing tanks could hold air-to-ground PGMs among other things 8) . I wonder if this is what the "research" in LCRA is? Can't find any more info via google/yahoo.

George J

Postby George J » 23 Apr 2005 20:39

Victor wrote:From Arun's photos, never noticed before how Global Hawkish the unmanned NAL LCRA looked.........


Umm are you sure you are not confusing this with Aeronautics Defence Systems Ltd.'s Dominator MALE UAV, which was also displayed at AI05.

It looks awefully similar to this. :D

Victor
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2645
Joined: 24 Apr 2001 11:31

Postby Victor » 23 Apr 2005 20:55

Yes, looks like that's the one. Also based on the Long EZ like the NAL plane?

George J

Postby George J » 23 Apr 2005 21:12

I donno what the Israeli Dominator has to do with Burt Rutan's plane that NAL and Mr. Kuala's own.

I dont see much similarity.

http://www.acig.org/exclusives/aero/acig_aero05_nal.htm

Victor
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2645
Joined: 24 Apr 2001 11:31

Postby Victor » 23 Apr 2005 23:43

Yup, besides both being tailless pushers with winglets, the Dominator has no canards. My bad.

Harry
BRFite
Posts: 365
Joined: 20 Jun 2000 11:31
Contact:

Postby Harry » 28 Apr 2005 19:34

Next 7 loaded

http://www.acig.org/exclusives/aero/Aero_India.htm

At 315 pics currently (and more to come), its bigger than BR even! 8)

While this concludes, the next big(ger) thing is in processing.

Jagan
Webmaster BR
Posts: 3035
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Earth @ Google.com
Contact:

Postby Jagan » 28 Apr 2005 20:43

Harry wrote: At 315 pics currently (and more to come), its bigger than BR even! 8)


Yo Harry, is that a challenge? :P - I am not yet done with our AI updates ;)

But Ofcourse, You can take credit for putting up the largest collection of photographs from one individual photographer.

Manne
BRFite
Posts: 172
Joined: 26 Jul 2002 11:31
Location: Mumbai

Postby Manne » 28 Apr 2005 21:03

We are certain then that Harry is one person? :D

Harry
BRFite
Posts: 365
Joined: 20 Jun 2000 11:31
Contact:

Postby Harry » 28 Apr 2005 21:25

I am not yet done with our AI updates


Nor am I, as I mentioned. :wink:

At this point in time, it be bigger. Will however need to be wrapped up soon (or sidelined).

PS Note that the MiG-29M2 does'nt smoke.
Last edited by Harry on 28 Apr 2005 21:50, edited 1 time in total.

AshishN
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 88
Joined: 31 Jul 2002 11:31

Postby AshishN » 28 Apr 2005 23:36

Harry:

Love the SHIV pod and Hawk in IAF colours!!

Arun_S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2800
Joined: 14 Jun 2000 11:31
Location: KhyberDurra

Postby Arun_S » 28 Apr 2005 23:58

Harry. As before I can only say fantastic.

O BTW I haev my stuff to unload on BR too :twisted:

Naidu
BRFite
Posts: 136
Joined: 24 Aug 2001 11:31
Location: New Joisey, USA

Postby Naidu » 29 Apr 2005 01:10

Harry wrote:Next 7 loaded

http://www.acig.org/exclusives/aero/Aero_India.htm

At 315 pics currently (and more to come), its bigger than BR even! 8)

While this concludes, the next big(ger) thing is in processing.


Harry ji, thanks for a comprehensive and knowledgeable look at AI2005 (as always). Minor problem: The full-size picture of the Light-weight torpedo in Chapter 21 is 404'ing. The broken URL is http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/torpedo001.jpg

Harry
BRFite
Posts: 365
Joined: 20 Jun 2000 11:31
Contact:

Postby Harry » 29 Apr 2005 01:19

Naidu wrote:
Harry wrote:Next 7 loaded

http://www.acig.org/exclusives/aero/Aero_India.htm

At 315 pics currently (and more to come), its bigger than BR even! 8)

While this concludes, the next big(ger) thing is in processing.


Harry ji, thanks for a comprehensive and knowledgeable look at AI2005 (as always). Minor problem: The full-size picture of the Light-weight torpedo in Chapter 21 is 404'ing. The broken URL is http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/torpedo001.jpg



Thanks for noting. The correct URL is http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/torpedo_001.jpg

Vishak
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 7
Joined: 21 May 2001 11:31
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Postby Vishak » 29 Apr 2005 22:41

http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/dhruv_under.jpg
This has to be the best under fuselage shot of Dhruv I've ever seen. What an impeccable paintjob :D. The photo Quality is awesome as usual. Thanks Harry for ur excellent AI-05 photos and also good article (both part1 and part2) on LCA in Vayu. Are you done with your AI-05 photo set or are there still more?
-Vishak

srai
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4087
Joined: 23 Oct 2001 11:31

Postby srai » 30 Apr 2005 00:58

Harry wrote:Next 7 loaded

http://www.acig.org/exclusives/aero/Aero_India.htm

At 315 pics currently (and more to come), its bigger than BR even! 8)

While this concludes, the next big(ger) thing is in processing.



Great!

Do you have more pictures of P15A?

http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/p15a.jpg

Anyone know what sort of weapon/layout on the middle/aft section (if viewed from the top)? What kind of CIWS was on the model?

It doen't seem Kashtan is there nor 30mm gun. Probably VLS tubes?

Harry
BRFite
Posts: 365
Joined: 20 Jun 2000 11:31
Contact:

Postby Harry » 30 Apr 2005 04:44

Yes, there are more.

No more P-15A (Rajput according to one of the exhibitors) pics I'm afraid.

davidn
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 82
Joined: 30 Jan 2001 12:31

Postby davidn » 30 Apr 2005 14:14

Harry and Arun,

did you guys ever consider shooting some of your pics towards the IAF webmasters? To be frank, your galleries are much more than a few orders of magnitude better than the IAF PR corps seems to be able to put out! Some of your photo's of the SU-30's and ALH's in flight are absolutely stunning Harry! It really would be a terrific change to see some crystal clear shots of our birds in the middle of a maneuver as you have so expertly achieved, as opposed to the crusty dead boring photos the armed forces camera's take. Sorry if there are issues im not aware of, but the pics are very impressive.

JaiS
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2190
Joined: 01 Mar 2003 12:31
Location: JPEG-jingostan
Contact:

Postby JaiS » 01 May 2005 18:38

durvasa, when can we expect to see your Aero India 2k5 snaps ?

Aditya G
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3337
Joined: 19 Feb 2002 12:31
Contact:

Postby Aditya G » 01 May 2005 19:16

Deleting the guns on a strike aircraft has to be the most 'radical' thing I have ever seen :roll:

IIRC Vanilla IBs have only one 1 cannon rather than the usual two on IS.

Arun_S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2800
Joined: 14 Jun 2000 11:31
Location: KhyberDurra

Postby Arun_S » 01 May 2005 21:25

In the age of long range missiles, very sort range weapons like guns dont find useful place in the air tactice. Much like dagger has lost relavence in ground warfare.

Thus guns may not be permanently built into the airframe, but depending on mission it may be carried as external store.

The air engagement would have long become decisive before it comes down to the option to wield the gun. In Indian context pehaps it will be some time before it becomes irrelevent.

John
BRFite
Posts: 1712
Joined: 03 Feb 2001 12:31

Postby John » 01 May 2005 22:08

It doen't seem Kashtan is there nor 30mm gun. Probably VLS tubes?
thats model is nothing new it was shown off in african expo a while back, it serves only to show off brahmos so its most likely not a reflection of what P-15A will look like when its completed. Anyway i believe p-15A will have kashtan according to IN which reportedly released the specs to Force.

shiv
BRF Oldie
Posts: 35041
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Pindliyon ka Gooda

Postby shiv » 02 May 2005 05:35

davidn wrote:Harry and Arun,

did you guys ever consider shooting some of your pics towards the IAF webmasters? To be frank, your galleries are much more than a few orders of magnitude better than the IAF PR corps seems to be able to put out! Some of your photo's of the SU-30's and ALH's in flight are absolutely stunning Harry! It really would be a terrific change to see some crystal clear shots of our birds in the middle of a maneuver as you have so expertly achieved, as opposed to the crusty dead boring photos the armed forces camera's take. Sorry if there are issues im not aware of, but the pics are very impressive.


davidn - here is my take on your question. I have been attending these aero-shows in Bangalore since the first in 1993 and I seem to have photos of all - except the 1993 show.

But 2005 is the first year in which I felt that my own camera equipment (state of the art once upon a time) was inadequate.

2005 is spoecial because of the excellent pictures people goty and this has something to do with both the enthusiasm and trouble people have taken to be there as well as their selection of camera equipment.

I don't think the IAF will ever be able to compete with civilian enthusiasts in acquiring camera equipment - at least in numbers and variety.

davidn
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 82
Joined: 30 Jan 2001 12:31

Postby davidn » 02 May 2005 06:59

Shiv wrote:davidn - here is my take on your question. I have been attending these aero-shows in Bangalore since the first in 1993 and I seem to have photos of all - except the 1993 show.

But 2005 is the first year in which I felt that my own camera equipment (state of the art once upon a time) was inadequate.

2005 is spoecial because of the excellent pictures people goty and this has something to do with both the enthusiasm and trouble people have taken to be there as well as their selection of camera equipment.

I don't think the IAF will ever be able to compete with civilian enthusiasts in acquiring camera equipment - at least in numbers and variety.


mmm, true that they will probably never be able to compete with civvy enthusiasts when it comes to spirit, and some amateurs are bound to have quite decent camera equipment.
But I think if you're job description entails taking good photos, surely a decent digital camera and some inspirational lenswork isn't beyond the reach of a 130 000 strong air force. The capital costs of a camera and some good photography skills are infinitesimal compared to the PR value they generate when used masterfully. I think the camera is a force multiplier who's true potential our services haven't really mastered or even realized yet.

shiv
BRF Oldie
Posts: 35041
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Pindliyon ka Gooda

Postby shiv » 02 May 2005 07:08

davidn I believe that it is not the lack of production that is a problem. It is the lack of marketing.

The IAF has some great photos but old bureaucratic rules and a poor Government of India paan-spitting PR apparatus ensure that these picutres are never seen in public.

The US has only gained by selling popular posters of its men and machines. This can be done for the IAF (or other force) without breaking the offcial secrets act I guess. The act itself was passed one day after one Mr Dauguerre made a box camera called a Dauguerrotype.


Return to “Military Expositions Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest