Paris Air Show, 2005 - Exclusive Photographs, Coverage

rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Aditya G wrote:what are those small intakes on the HJT-36?

Are they anything to do with the thermal_management/cooling_air for different systems inside??
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

Looks like the back seater is also interested in photography :)
vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

Two bests in a day eh.? :D

I think first best is better. ^^
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

IIRC in fighter aircraft small intakes such as these feed air to the afterburners. APUs also require a separate intake. But the positioning of intakes in IJT seems odd for these appliactions.

Intakes for cooling are generally seen in AWACS/ELINT aircraft.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Aditya G wrote:IIRC in fighter aircraft small intakes such as these feed air to the afterburners. APUs also require a separate intake. But the positioning of intakes in IJT seems odd for these appliactions.

Intakes for cooling are generally seen in AWACS/ELINT aircraft.
Personally I have never heard of separate intakes for afterburners. The hot gases in the exhaust are under pressure and unless air is rammed into the area under pressure - little intake holes would only belch out gas in the opposite direction.

Afterburning, as far as my knowledge goes involves the injection of a spray of fuel into the exhaust gases and lighting the mixture (the gases have enough oxygen left over after passing through the engine).

Those little intakes are usually for cooling or something AFAIK.

On a side note - does the IJT have afterburning at all?
ameya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ameya »

The civil version seems to be re painted.
VT-XLH... i had a pic of its in completely white camo.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Ok guys enjoy the feast.
http://r2singh.tripod.com/paris_air_show/
......more to come. Try to make out of it what you can.... don't have time to add the text :D
Himanshu
BRFite

Post by Himanshu »

FABULOUS Buddy.. :D

Minor request..

Can you add these to fotopic.net..
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Good show rsingh. Thanks

Dull grey day in Paris eh?
Praveen
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Praveen »

Nice pics singh. Any pics of the flying display?
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

rsingh wrote:Ok guys enjoy the feast.
http://r2singh.tripod.com/paris_air_show/
......more to come. Try to make out of it what you can.... don't have time to add the text :D
Excellent. Keep it coming.

First photo of Glass cockpit on ALH. Its very nice.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Yes, weather was not the best thing Paris had to offer; traffic jam was worst( 3hrs for half km). Any way once inside things were better.
India is represented by three crafts. Guys rep HAL were helpful and friendly but display looked poor as compared to Israeli bhais camped right in front. Indians were the only one who allowed aam junta to touch ware so our stand was busy.
Israelis had drones, Rafael and comand and control centres.Presentation was superb. You get 3D glasses, enter a oval room and you see live action on futuristic displays( an arab looking man stops in the middle of desert , hands over some packet to someone and then being destroyed by some BUM before he tries to enter an SUV). I have to say they are the best in marketing.
But Russians were the star of the show. Very well presented and wide range of product offered. Sukhoy was the star of flying display( these guys are crazy). F16 etc were not so hot.
Our Dhruv helicopter (french call it Dru) was extreemly good in flying. At one pt it climbed almost vertically, nose to the sky. . At one pt I heard that Dhru was most ....... but could not catch the whole sentence.Amriki tried hollywood style ( gruop of 2 apachee rising form horizon) but it was all deja vue.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Himanshu wrote:FABULOUS Buddy.. :D

Minor request..

Can you add these to fotopic.net..
You got it
http://ravindersphotos.fotopic.net/
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Great pics. . especially all the cockpit shots including that ofthe Cheetah..
Laks
BRFite

Post by Laks »

Bonjour!

My humble contribution: some of it is similar to rsingh's, plus some flying photos (with my amateur camera and an even more amateur photographer). Man, it was tough to take pics of these birds! And I second the opinion of rsingh, public transport was totally blocked, there must have been 100k-150k folks.

http://laks-photos.blogspot.com/

When I went (around 1:00 pm), the HAL guys were cautious about letting people in (since some stupid French kid seems to have messed around with IJT's doors!). But, they were nice enough to let me in. I even gave the HAL chap BR's website address and he was enthusiastic about such an initiative. Well, he would'nt have know a Google search for 'Dhruv' will lead right here!

Regarding the flying display, the French announcer gave a nice intro to Dhruv (especially its high-altitutude capability) in addition to mentioning about the growth of Indian aerospace industry in general(starting from JRD Tata, et al). The English announcer skipped all these details :evil: Dhruv also did one special maneuver (which to my amateur-eyes looked like dropping down with the helo's pitch downwards). The IJT also did a good display except that the public was distracted since the A340/A380 woke-up their engines and started moving and ppl started watching them instead of looking at the sky :(

Other flying displays were Mirage 2000C, Rafale, F-18, Sukhoi Su-27, etc. Will post them if someone is interested.

Au revoir!

PS: The only report from DDM seems to be this ToI's copy-paste job from a HAL press release. I doubt if we'll see any effort from them :roll:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Good show Laks - looks like you had better weather than rsingh - so your in-cockpit photos have better lighting.

The facts you guys have posted about traffic jams and 3 hrs for half km is a revelation. This is in a country that has had airshows for decades and established infrastructure.

I fear that Bangalore Airshows are only going to get worse - in terms of crowds and delay especially when it gets bigger and the likes of Airbus and Boeing start displaying their maal as the runways are made to take them
Last edited by shiv on 19 Jun 2005 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

is the side stick in this photo used for targeting ?

http://ravindersphotos.fotopic.net/p16434905.html
Laks
BRFite

Post by Laks »

Thanks shivji. Regarding the organization, it was well actually well-done. There were shuttle buses to/fro Le Bourget to the latest Metro and RER (suburban train) every 10 minutes. But there were much more people than expected - 500K instead of the expected 300K. The French media nicely played lifafa to Airbus and jacked up the interest among the junta.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Laks, nice pics thanks. You managed to catch those flying birds. Traffic..... I do not know about public transport but I was stranded in worst jam in my life. Car parking was no better than Old Delhi RLY Station. Police guys has no idea what they had to do. I reached on the road near the place ( my GPS declared "you have reached the destination" ) and for 3 her covered just three lamp -posts. Then I did the biggest mistake of day; asked an agent(police) about parking and 1 hr extra because the guy had no idea but any way he mentioned some direction. :D No regrets.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

The Senate silence on 'biggest junket there is'
Sen. Ted Stevens, the powerful Alaska Republican who led the congressional delegation to the posh Paris Air Show -- which has been called "the biggest junket there is" -- refuses to disclose how many members came along, how much it cost taxpayers, and offered few details about the event.
SuryaP
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SuryaP »

The first time I went Farnborough(I think in 1998), I spent about 3 hrs in the traffic. Went on a public day.

That is why, I always go on the Trade days after that. The second time, I parked my car along the runway and actually took red-arrows show pictures from my car as it started pouring down.

Though everything is organised at the Farnborough in general, getting to the site itself can take much longer on the Public days.
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

From Jane's
Paris Air Show: Super Hornet seeks exports with advanced capability

JAMIE HUNTER Editor Jane's Aircraft Upgrades
Paris Air Show

The big news from the Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet camp is centred on two key areas: capability development and export potential. The latter is dominated by the request for information (RfI) from the Indian government for new fighter aircraft, with the Super Hornet among the list of contenders.

Boeing's Chris Chadwick told journalists in Paris that Boeing is working with the US government to agree terms to offer the Block II standard Super Hornet to India, whose requirement is understood to be for 126 aircraft with a decision expected by early 2009.

The Block II capability is coming online for the US Navy, with this standard, including the Advanced Crew Station, Multifunction Information Distribution System datalink, Advanced Targeting Forward-Looking targeting pod, advanced short-range AIM-9X air-to-air missiles and the Raytheon APG-73 Active Electronically Scanned Array radar. Block II is also offering network-centric operations and an improved precision engagement capability with the ability to receive, process and pass target data from other platforms as well as ground forces. The first two squadrons to be upgraded and flying with these additional capabilities will be operational later this year.

Block II Plus is a further enhancement revolving around the path to develop joint network-centric capabilities for the future.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

I survived the Paris Air Show too! It was simply dreadful to go on a non-business day-bad mistake.It was 1000 times worse than the B'lore Air Show.Unless you get a special pass,it's survival of the fittest.The heat,miles to walk and the lakhs of visitors was almost unbearable.

I did take some pics of exhibits and the Rafale and Su-27's flying display on video.Shiv will have to wait until I next visit B'lore to put it up.One great exhibit was the Javelin jet trainer,which made all the other jet trainers on display (including the IJT) look like venerable Ambys! The Eurofighter Typhoon also put up a good flying display.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

BTW, the Javelin is more a next-generation executive transport. The trainer version is an after thought.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Philp you dog - you've been in Paree have you?

I've been wanting to talk to you about something.
KSandy
BRFite -Trainee

Post by KSandy »

Could somebody prepare an article summarising the Paris Airshow
Highlights of the show... who were the best, the worst, etc
acheivements in the show...in general
Advantage to Indian gallery in the show
photos and videos etc.
rajivg
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rajivg »

A simple question.

How are the Dhruvs and IJTs transported to Paris for the Air Show? By an IAF IL-76 or some other cargo aircraft? If its an IL-76 or other Indian owned transport, are there any pictures?
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Rajiv,

vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

do you have bigger pic??