Aero India 2003 - News & Reports

George J

Re: Aero India 2003 - News & Reports

Post by George J »

Originally posted by Abhaey:
Here are some more photos from my trip to India.

India Album 1

India Album 2
They will be better appreciated in HICAF.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by JE Menon:
Boss, the good doc had MOFAM on his hands, plus AEI 2003, plus running around preparing cds/movies/ god alone knows bloody what else. Probably, the chap didn't have time to fix the background music.
Thanks for being understanding. Ask nicely and you will be told.

The fact is that I put subtitles on the aero india CD and was tempted to replace sound with music. But very often the background sound is appropriate and informative to boot, including the sounds of aircraft, the PA system descriptions of aircraft and pilot, the voice of someone talking about the NBC shelter, the background voice with the Brahmos video etc. Only in a few places the sound - mostly voices of people standing around and me on my mobile briefly talking to forum members geeth or Philip is inappropriate. All in all I opted to retain that, basically as you have indicated - for lack of time. My aging 1 GHz machine takes 4 hours to modify 1 hour of video. (better than 30 hours for 1 hour on older machines I had), and this does not include the time taken for selecting and mixing the music.

As regards the Republic day recording - I didn't see the point in replacing the authentic running commentary with either music or my own visuals.

Since I am sending out CDs to people who have offered to distribute - enthusiasts in this area could rip out the whole mpeg, replace the sound and re-burn a VCD just for the heck of it - but for the moment I am not going to do that.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Originally posted by shiv:
My aero India VCD is ready

Actually I think it's really good - here's an endorsement I got on email from Vishak who was the first person to see it:

Excellent work. You are really really good with the
camera. It was an outstanding treat to watch AI-2003
CD. Great...really great. But there is one thing I
couldn't find, where are those cute Russian chicks you
filmed?
Anyone want to take the responsibility for making multiple copies and shipping it to whoever wants it? I will give it away free but I wouldn't mind if someone makes a little out of it and GIVES IT TO BR!!

I have a BR version in 3 parts: the Indoor displays, the outdoor displays and the flying displays.

I also have an RD parade VCD 2003 - of the military bits
I would like to have a copy, especially if you have pixs of soem wingless birds tt !!!!!!!!

How do I get a copy ?

How much do I pay for it ?

Kersi
vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

My aero India VCD is ready

Actually I think it's really good - here's an endorsement I got on email from Vishak who was the first person to see it:

Excellent work. You are really really good with the
camera. It was an outstanding treat to watch AI-2003
CD. Great...really great. But there is one thing I
couldn't find, where are those cute Russian chicks you
filmed?
Anyone want to take the responsibility for making multiple copies and shipping it to whoever wants it? I will give it away free but I wouldn't mind if someone makes a little out of it and GIVES IT TO BR!!

I have a BR version in 3 parts: the Indoor displays, the outdoor displays and the flying displays.

I also have an RD parade VCD 2003 - of the military bits
Hi Shiv, I would like to have that cd. Plz let me know that how can i get it.
regards
vishnu
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

For those who have expressed a desire to get hold of a copy of the Aero India and Rep Day VCDs - I am arranging for one person in North America to help duplicate and send tem out.

For those in India - I think Manne offered to help.

Manne caould you please email me on shiv@bharat-rakshak.com if the offer still stands.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Shiv,

I am happy to take care of the Aisa-Pacific (Oz, NZ,Singapore,Malaysia... you get the picture) distribution. Unless you want us to get the copies from the North America distributor. :(

Though we do not have the numbers that the US or India have, I am sure BR members in the Asia-Pacific region we would also welcome the Aero-India and RD VCD.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by rahulm:
Shiv,

I am happy to take care of the Aisa-Pacific (Oz, NZ,Singapore,Malaysia... you get the picture) distribution. Unless you want us to get the copies from the North America distributor. :(
Please email me with yr snail mail address and I will send you a copy of each of the VCDs
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Shiv,

Thank you very much. I have emailed you my address.
Manne
BRFite

Post by Manne »

Yes shiv, the offer still stands. You got mail.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Originally posted by Manne:
Yes shiv, the offer still stands. You got mail.
I would like to have a copy. Please e mail me at ttfpl@vsnl.com. I shall send you my postal address etc.

Regards
Kersi
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

I have about
75 pix of AERO INDIA 2003
50 pix of DEF EXPO 2002
50 PIX of AERO INDIA 2001

I plan to load all of them on a CD for record and further distribution.

Anbody interested please call on kersidotiwalla@hotmail.com

Regards
Kersi
Manne
BRFite

Post by Manne »

All those who reside in India and want any of these CD/VCDs

Please wait till we decide on pricing and shipment etc. I will make an annoucement after which you can send in your addresses and money.
Till then, please stand by. :cool:

Kersi, you got mail. I am quite willing to send out your CD along with Shiv's VCDs.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by Kersi Dotiwalla:
I have about
75 pix of AERO INDIA 2003
50 pix of DEF EXPO 2002
50 PIX of AERO INDIA 2001

I plan to load all of them on a CD for record and further distribution.

Anbody interested please call on kersidotiwalla@hotmail.com

Regards
Kersi
Kersi - you have given me an idea for teh future - a VCD of aerobatics/flying displays, and a CD of action sequences and a CD full of pictures etc etc

:D

Manne and rahulm - will mail out the CDs in about 2 days and will email u guys when I do.
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

Hey, did anybody get a photo of the Navy Do-228 at Aero India ?

Are the Elta radars and FLIR systems being fitted as standard ?
Abhaey
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Abhaey »

Shiv Ji, is there a UK distributor for your CD ? :)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by Abhaey:
Shiv Ji, is there a UK distributor for your CD ? :)
No Abhaey - are you volunteering? If so - I need a snail mail address sent on email.

Right now the CDs are going out to someone in N.America, Oz and India. One in UK should pretty much cover the "saari duniya".

Post by Guest »

Right now the CDs are going out to someone in N.America, Oz and India. One in UK should pretty much cover the "saari duniya".
May I know how the payment method is going to be?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by rahul r:
May I know how the payment method is going to be?
Well - it's like this.

The people who receive the CDs from me will have to duplicate and send them out to people who ask - so they will have to be compensated for those costs and I will suggest a reasonable amount over that for BR and I will leave it to the duplicator/sender to decide on mode of payment.

I am thinking that US $5 for "phoren" buyers OR Rs 100 for bharatvasis should be added over postage for BR..

Do you guys think that is reasonable? Opinions?
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Shiv,

Thanks for the update. I expect to receive it about 10-14 days after you send it.

I am happy to look after the Asia-Pacific region, ie: Australia, NZ, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Fiji, Indonesia, Korea and Japan.

I plan to cut CD's to order and schedule a weekly shipment run at the post office, mostly every Friday. People pay for shipping + media costs(at actuals;dekhna padega)+ BR surcharge :) . If its Rs. 10, let it be Rs. 10 for everyone or Rs. 50.

Lekin, jo bhee tum theek samjho.This is just my view.
Abhisham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Abhisham »

I would love to have the VCD's (Rday and AeroIndia2003)
Whom do i get the CD from if i am in Singpaore??
How much and How do i pay??

Abhisham
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by rahulm:
Shiv,

I think, perhaps, after conversion, there should not be much difference between the $US and INR rates for the BR surcharge.
I think INR 200 may be a reasonable fee for bharatvasis - but I was using some convoluted reasoning.

You can get Harry Potter VCDs in India (legally) for Rs 250, and most James Bond movies are available legally for less than 200.

The "latest" music CDs are sold legally for something like Rs 450-500 - US $ 10 and I am told they cost twice that in the US. Indian music cassettes cost as little as Rs 20 - LEGALLLY. So the attraction of duplicating and not paying becomes greater, the higher you price it.

I though $5 is OK otherwise and felt $2 or $3 is so low that everyone might as well give it away free.
rad
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rad »

HI
Please give me mail as a nd whe the vcd on aero inida is ready

Thanks

Post by Guest »

Well - it's like this.

The people who receive the CDs from me will have to duplicate and send them out to people who ask - so they will have to be compensated for those costs and I will suggest a reasonable amount over that for BR and I will leave it to the duplicator/sender to decide on mode of payment.

I am thinking that US $5 for "phoren" buyers OR Rs 100 for bharatvasis should be added over postage for BR..

Do you guys think that is reasonable? Opinions?
So does that add up to $25-35 for both the RD parade and Aero-India? I will be more than glad to pay. :)
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Harry Potter for only Rs.250 and James Bond for < Rs.200. Well, you get what you pay for and even then I think the Indian public is being cheated wholesale. :lol:

These BR CD's are collectors items.With a limited production run.No?.Just joking.
Manne
BRFite

Post by Manne »

I agree with rahulm to a great extent but I agree with shiv on Rs100 v/s $5 thingie. Those abroad wouldn't mind contributing a bit more to BR, would they - considering that neither of the distributors is going to make any money here? I wouldn't have when I was abroad.

As a ballpark figure, blank CD costs between Rs22-30 in India.
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

Originally posted by Manne:

As a ballpark figure, blank CD costs between Rs22-30 in India.
Just for info >>
Blank CD's cost 14 / 12 / 10(bulk) Rupees here in hyderabad. Don't know about other cities.

As for bond movies, they are free.All you have to do is to take your HDD to your friend and copy it.
:D
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Agree with Manne,

I remember spending 5$ on Burgers and pops or the 9$ Aero magazines plenty of times without flinching when in US - But i dont really remember spending Rs 250 in india for a 'Burger' or Rs 450 on a Magazine! :lol:

So a 5$ price (+ postage) and a 100Rs markup here(Would that make the price here 150Rs?) sounds okay for me..
Abhisham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Abhisham »

Who do i get the CD from if i am in singapore??
Me really interested. Don't mind paying a bit more.
The earlier post was not replied :(

Abhisham
Manne
BRFite

Post by Manne »

Abhisham, check rahulm's post above. He will be your man.
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

OK, finally scanned some of the pics that I had taken.

Yahoo! photos site: Here ya go...

So photos will be necessarily small.

Still one more roll to be developed.

If you need a better resolution scan of any photo, mail me at {rishi @ aero . iitb . ac . in}
(remove the spaces)

Some of the pictures have been scanned at a 90 degree rotation (of the photo, not the scanner or scannee). If you really want to see those that bad, rotate your monitor by 270 degrees. :p

PS: do we have a BR page on suryakirans?
Manne
BRFite

Post by Manne »

Rishi, if you are in IITB then you must join our meeting. Check your mail.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Originally posted by Rishi:
[QB]OK, finally scannes some of the pics that I had taken.

Yahoo! photos site: Here ya go...
Heh Heh, Another album to go thru

This has turned out to be the best covered Defence Show in India ever! we must be having 100s of pics from all sources by now!
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

Delta OT:

Just got the Proceedings CD of Aero India Seminar 2003. If there is any space left in Mannes's CD2, maybe a few of the more interesting papers can be added...

It has got all the presented papers in PDF format.

+ 3 decent UAV videos (total 3 min/15mb) of the Hermes-2 (I think).

Is there any software that can turn pdf to gif ot html, so that I may put up some of these papers on the net?

Rishi
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by Rishi:

Is there any software that can turn pdf to gif ot html, so that I may put up some of these papers on the net?

Rishi
Here is an email I have received:
Regarding the Post from
Member:
Rishi
Member # 4695

Topic:
Aero India 2003 - News & Reports
The conversion can be done by using
Imagemagick which is a freely available software. If
need be please email me and i will convert them for
you.

Thank you,
Why don't you put up an email id rishi - so that this person can email you and you can negotiate this between yourselves.

Converting pdfs normally requires Acrobat Exchange or some such program - (which I have :D ) - but I am sure theer is downloadable freeware about that can be used.
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

My email id was posted on the post 3 posts above this post. :p

{rishi @ aero .iitb . ac .in}

remove the spaces...

Anyways... have loacted a 'pdf2html' utility.
And when I locate some free time, will put up some stuff on the net.

Any specific requests?
Explore the Technical Sessions page here to see the abstracts of the papers presented...
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

I think the commercial terms should be frozen to avoid any misunderstandings, hard feelings etc.

For Indian "sales" I suggest the following procedure :
The "buyer" must give the CD to the "seller or pay the equivalent amount. In India a blank CD costs about Rs 25 - Rs 30.

The out station "buyers" should also give the courier charges to the "seller"

The seller must donate Rs 100 per CD to BR.
Who will collect it on behalf of BR ? I suggest Shiv (in India) !!!!

How is this money given ? Cash / cheque / DD ?

Is it to be given directly by the "seller" or through the "buyer" ?

Should the "seller" get soeme thing for his costs like getting the pic scanned etc.

I think a clarification (from Shiv) could avoid any problems later on.

Regards
Kersi
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Kersi I think a "BR contribution" of Rs 100 for India and $5 abroad is fair. The money should really be sent along with overheads costs (postage/duplication etc) to the volunteers who will be sending out the CDs. These volunteers will say how much their overheads are and set the exact amount, which will have to be sent to them. At the end of it all the volunteers will send the extra to BR via a mechanism that I will sort out with them.

I will identify the volunteers and post contact email ids with their permission AFTER I receive confirmation that they have received the CD sets I have sent intact, and after they confirm that the CDs are in good working condition. I have mailed out the CDs between 5 and 7 days ago, and it will be at least that many more days from now before the "overseas" (from India) volunteers will egt their CDs.

I still have no UK/Europe volunteer and Abhaey may not yet have seen my message.
Manne
BRFite

Post by Manne »

Rishi,

Check the copyright issues with the material on that CD. We can easily include it but only if there are no copyright issues.

Cheers(hic) :p !
Manne
Sribabu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sribabu »

Shivji,

Please email me. I shall volunteer for UK, if Abhaey can't do it, as I have Paypal already setup(done for AY cd).

I have CD copier, though it might be a bit difficult to do large numbers, I should be able to handle the demand from UK.

I am not sure of Europe yet as I don't know the postage costs.

Regards,
Sri

I still have no UK/Europe volunteer and Abhaey may not yet have seen my message.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Kersi I think a "BR contribution" of Rs 100 for India and $5 abroad is fair. The money should really be sent along with overheads costs (postage/duplication etc) to the volunteers who will be sending out the CDs. These volunteers will say how much their overheads are and set the exact amount, which will have to be sent to them. At the end of it all the volunteers will send the extra to BR via a mechanism that I will sort out with them.

I will identify the volunteers and post contact email ids with their permission AFTER I receive confirmation that they have received the CD sets I have sent intact, and after they confirm that the CDs are in good working condition. I have mailed out the CDs between 5 and 7 days ago, and it will be at least that many more days from now before the "overseas" (from India) volunteers will egt their CDs.

I think you should start a new thread for the "distribution" of CDs, titled "Pictures of AERO INDIA 2003" or something like that. This thread has become unwieldy.

If the mechanism works we should start "distributing" the past issues of BR Monitor or even the BRF discussions. I would not mind having a few CDs of the ENTIRE BRF

Regards
Kersi