Krishna
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Aero India 2003 - News & Reports

Post by Krishna »

FYI - In case no one has posted this before

There are some more pictures of Aero India 2003
and Saras in NAL's web site.

http://www.cmmacs.ernet.in/nal/pages/ipfeb03.htm#saras

The latest Journal of the Aeronautical Society of India is dedicated to the LCA. I wish I could lay my hands on it. Admins please create a link to AeSI's web site in BR's INdian military Links page.

http://www.aesi.org/Publication/publication.html

ISRO's well designed "Space India" Newsletter
http://www.isro.org/newsletters/newsletters.htm

Krishna
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

IIRC, the LCA special came out 3 months back.
Dec 2002 or Nov 2002 edition...

Its 246 pages, lots of info....

The AeSI chaps at the stall were selling it for Rs. 100 (list price). I think you can request them for a copy.

OK, might scan some of the more interesting articles....

But dont hold your breath.

Cheers!
Rishi
Originally posted by krishna_kss:

The latest Journal of the Aeronautical Society of India is dedicated to the LCA. I wish I could lay my hands on it. Admins please create a link to AeSI's web site in BR's INdian military Links page.

http://www.aesi.org/Publication/publication.html

Krishna
Bhairav
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Bhairav »

From the Flight International report on Aero India 2003
"Turboprop and regional jet manufacturers are stepping up their marketing efforts in India as the country's carriers show more interest in operating smaller aircraft.

The government has for years been calling on airlines to boost services to remote areas, but until now the pleas have been ignored.

Jet Airways, the largest private airline in India, has since 1999 been operating ATR 72s in addition to its Boeing 737s, and has eight of the type. In July 2002 it signed a letter of intent to purchase 10 Embraer 175s and take 10 options, for delivery from next year. Embraer says "a final agreement is expected to be ready soon".

Rival 737 operator Air Sahara, meanwhile, is preparing to take delivery of the first regional jets that will be flying in India. The airline says it expects Bombardier CRJ200s to be put into service this month. Sahara has leased three ex-Midway Airlines CRJs through Bombardier to operate alongside the carrier's 11 737s on new and existing routes.

Indian Airlines subsidiary Alliance Air has just started operating ATR 42s in the northeast of the country. It signed a lease agreement with ATR in December for four aircraft after years of delays.

Privately held Indian air charter company Deccan Aviation is, meanwhile, pressing ahead with plans to move into scheduled operations using Bombardier Dash 8-100s.

Managing director Capt G R Gopinath says Deccan won approval from the country's aircraft acquisition committee last month to operate Dash 8s and services will begin in May or June
"
Krishna
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Krishna »

Originally posted by Rishi:
OK, might scan some of the more interesting articles....

But dont hold your breath.

Cheers!
Rishi
Rishi, Eagerly awaiting the articles. :)

Thanks

Krishna
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Originally posted by Bhairav:
From the Flight International report on Aero India 2003
"Turboprop and regional jet manufacturers are stepping up their marketing efforts in India as the country's carriers show more interest in operating smaller aircraft."
I'm all for capitalism, but I hope that Indian govt. sets up some sort of mechanism to promote Saras and any newer higher capacity turboprops, esp. if deliveries are expected 2-3 yrs from now. There could be some covenants tied to no. of landing slots at lucrative (metro) destinations. That would make it cheaper an already fine domestic aircraft and reduce the logistics of maintenance if lot of users buy across the country.
Rudra
BRFite

Post by Rudra »

Aditya_M
BRFite

Post by Aditya_M »

Here you go!!!

Aero India 2003 pics
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

AM,

Just GREAT. May call on you for the MKI pictures if you do not mind.

Niranjan
AshishN
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AshishN »

Aditya:

Great pix! Thanks.

But the very first one: is it a F-14? Mig-31? What is it? Is it a mixup?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

In the pics posted by Aditya:

Pic # 61: Su-37
Pic # 75 & 76: Rafale with conformals (end of discussion)
Pic # 81: MTA, proposed replacements for the Orions from Lockheed.

Aditya,

Is this a permanent setup, to be bookmarked?

Should plan for 2005. Book a hotel/motel close by. By 2007 BR should organise/have a hostel+transportation out there for Aero Indias.
AshishN
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AshishN »

No, I'm talking about the very first one marked "fullarm"?? Thanks.
Rudra
BRFite

Post by Rudra »

aditya, super fantastaboolous.
George J

Post by George J »

Aditya:
Great pics.

IMG_54: ATGM on Mi-35..there happy now? What type?
IMG_56-IMG_59. Good pics of LCA HUD and Kopyo??
Whats IMG_62? TVC of AL-31FP?
Whats IMG_89 bottom one?

Rao saheb:
You mean S-37 Berkut not the Su-37 Terminator.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Originally posted by George J:

Rao saheb:
You mean S-37 Berkut not the Su-37 Terminator.
Yup. Yup. Mistake before a BR meet, must be bad karma.
saint
BRFite

Post by saint »

NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Originally posted by Sai_NT:
[url=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/687921b/ ... 2sorM">act of kindness</a>

??
<a href="http://www.mod.uk/dpa/projects/asraam.htm]Advanced Short Range Air-to-Air Missile (ASRAAM)[/url]
With RN and RAF, replacement for Sidewinders.
rags
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rags »

thanks Aditya, they are super

Ashish,
it is a f-14 carrying 4 Aim-54 Phoenix AA missiles.
AshishN
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AshishN »

Thanks Raghu!
rudy
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rudy »

a subscriber only artcle about aero india from defensenews.com

Defense News

Feb 14, 2003

Aero India 2003 Show Holds Several Surprises

By VIVEK RAGHUVANSHI, BANGALORE, India

The 2003 version of the Aero India exhibition, one of Asia’s largest, featured the announcement that a decision was imminent for the long-delayed Advanced Jet Trainer program and welcomed a U.S. delegation for the first time since Washington levied sanctions following a 1998 Indian nuclear test.

Held Feb. 5-9 in Bangalore, the fourth biennial show included sizeable groups of British and French government officials.

French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin arrived in Bangalore, then traveled to Delhi to approve an Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) agreement between Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL), Bangalore, and Turbomeca, Paris.

The show, which featured 16 foreign and 52 Indian aircraft, was held against the backdrop of the Indian government opening up the defense sector to private and foreign investors.

Its inaugural ceremony was enlivened by aerial images displayed on a screen, taken by an Israeli Heron unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) that kept a five-hour vigil overhead.

Israel, which brought more than 70 executives to the show, is the biggest supplier of UAVs to India. “We will shortly bring in our tactical UAVs for the three Indian defense forces,” said Giora Shalgi, chief executive of Rafael, Haifa, Israel. India’s three defense forces have a requirement of more than 500 UAVs in the next 10 years, and most are expected to be procured from Israel.

See the full reporter’s notebook from the show in the Feb. 17, 2003, issue of Defense News

the print version has the complete article which is about 5 times the size of what i posted.ill type it in later
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

OK folks - I have now got a great 60 minute VCD of Aero India 2003 with a good mix of indoor displays, outdoor displays and 35 minutes of flying displays.

I need to check out a few details about duplication and shipping before I can consider shipping it out to anyone.

In the meantime, here is a videograb I picked up from the VCD

What is that blunt red nosed thing in the yellow circle below this MiG 21 upg?

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/migthing.jpg
Aditya_M
BRFite

Post by Aditya_M »

Ok, the first pic is a really old one, when I was fooling around with the Yahoo Briefcase. It is a Tomcat, (looks sexy, doesnt it?)

I also wish I couldv'e renamed the pics before putting them up, but I was in college and had no time. I've done that at home...

Now,

Niranjan, no problem! And yes its permanent.

George J, all the missiles in that pic are Exocets, the bottom missile in the pic is the sub launched version methinks.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Originally posted by shiv:

Shiv,

Thats the KAB-500 TV Guided PGM bomb thingy. This one is a 'short' version of the long KABs we have seen with MiG-27s till date.

Aditya,

Great pics - Nice collection.

regards

Jagan
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by Aditya Mandrekar:
Here you go!!!

Aero India 2003 pics
Good collection

Could someone please tell me what is on teh underbelly of the Mirage in pic 91?
Shirish
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shirish »

Nice pics AM. Are you from Poona?
Nandai
BRFite

Post by Nandai »

Shiv, you mean the Mirage most to the left, that could be some reconpod, or a targeting/designating pod, but IMO its a reconpod.
khukri
BRFite

Post by khukri »

Originally posted by shiv:
OK folks - I have now got a great 60 minute VCD of Aero India 2003 with a good mix of indoor displays, outdoor displays and 35 minutes of flying displays.

I need to check out a few details about duplication and shipping before I can consider shipping it out to anyone.

In the meantime, here is a videograb I picked up from the VCD

I believe the upgrade included programming the MiGs to get horny at the sight of a passing F16. Unfortunately the program didn't teach it to distinguish between one of Unkil's and one of "their's"! ;)
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

Sigh,here's the Mirage-2000 loadout

Remora - Super-530D - Atlis-II LDP - SAMP LGB - Belouga CGB - Magic-II training round
Aditya_M
BRFite

Post by Aditya_M »

Shirish, no, Bombay.

and thanks Harry, I had no idea either...
member_201
BRFite

Post by member_201 »

AM, can you scan these pictures really big? Like 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768? If so, I can use them in the IAF Galleries. Thanx. Let me know.
member_201
BRFite

Post by member_201 »

AM, Here are the pix I need:

Img_0008
Img_0009
Img_0010
Img_0011
Img_0013
Img_0014
Img_0015
Img_0016
Img_0017
Img_0018
Img_0019
Img_0020
Img_0023
Img_0064 (try to seeing if you can sharpen this image a little more. It is a must have!)
Img_0107
Ananth
BRFite

Post by Ananth »

Aditya truly impressive collection. Most images were sharp.

I couldnt figure out these engines?
Manne
BRFite

Post by Manne »

Aditya,

Great pix. Check your mail.

Cheers!
Manne
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Report on Aero India 2003 from Aviation Week and Space Technology magazine. Subscriber site:
India Seeks Wider Markets
NEELAM MATHEWS/YELAHANKA AB,
BANGALORE, INDIA

The lifting of U.S. sanctions has prompted Indian defense officials to cast a wider net as they look for foreign manufacturing partners to develop a military industrial base.

Aero Vodochody's L-159B is a contender for India's long-delayed AJT contract, along with the MiG-AT and KAI/LM T-50, but BAE Systems' Hawk is the front-runner.

Unlike their neighbor, China, the Indians aren't seeking self-sufficiency, although their goals include an export capability and the prospect of tapping their own huge labor pool to produce 70% of their own weapons systems, Defense Minister George Fernandes said at this month's Aero India, the nation's fourth international exhibition.

The prospects are attracting the interest of Russia, a traditional supplier, as well as Western manufacturers. But the government's call for foreign partners prompted a caution flag from Atul Kirloskar, chairman of the Confederation of Indian Industry's National Committee on Defense.

Israel has reportedly ordered 12 Lakshya remotely piloted vehicles. India is developing a cruise-missile version with a 600-km. range and 350-kg. payload.
"To achieve self-reliance and meet the target, there is a need to identify items that can be produced in India," he said.

As nice as self-reliance is, India has stepped up its acquisition pace since the lifting of U.S. sanctions. "U.S. foreign military sales to India have jumped from near zero in September 2001 to over $190 million today following the removal of sanctions," U.S. Ambassador Robert D. Blackwell said.

The breakthroughs include India's lease/purchase of U.S. fire/finder radars. Shipments began in January. Spare parts for Westland Sea King helicopters are in the shopping cart and the government has opened discussions with U.S. Special Forces about buying protective equipment to counter biological weapons. In March, a U.S. Navy team is to visit to discuss the possible sale of Lockheed Martin P-3 Orion maritime patrol aircraft.

Aero India drew 10 U.S. industrial participants--the largest turnout ever--underscoring the new level of trust between the countries' militaries, Blackwell said.

The expansion into India for an aerospace sector suffering through a recession isn't limited to U.S. firms looking for joint-venture partnerships:

France's Snecma is increasing staff at its recently formed Indian subsidiary to 100 from 40 employees and expects to set up an in-country engineering unit.

Thales has established Thales International Services India as a wholly owned subsidiary, seeking partnerships to provide technical support and service, Managing Director Philippe de Braquilanges said.

Israel Aircraft Industries (IHI) is thought to be delivering a $300-million order of unmanned aerial vehicles and is holding talks about supplying Phalcon reconnaissance aircraft. Tadiran Communications also is said to be providing military communications to New Delhi.

Prompted by India's decision to allow foreign direct investment of up to 26% in Indian defense firms, EADS has opened talks with Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL), the government-owned aircraft manufacturer, and with Bharat Dynamics Ltd., the prime agency for India's integrated guided missile program.
"EADS is interested to invest, bring in technology and codevelop products with Indian companies," CEO Philippe Camus said. He said separate joint ventures would be established for specific projects as part of an effort to expand EADS' presence worldwide. "The production cost in India is relatively cheap compared to Europe," he said. "An association with Indian companies will certainly give us cost advantage."

EADS already has started down that road through its MBDA Missile Systems partnership with BAE Systems and Finmeccanica, which has delivered air-to-air missiles to the Indian air force and anti-tank missiles to their army. BDL has produced more than 31,000 Milan anti-tank missiles and firing posts under a tech-transfer agreement. MBDA and BDL have signed a memorandum of understanding to extend their cooperation to include surface-to-air missiles.

Still, N.S. Sisodia, India's defense production and supplies secretary, said finding foreign markets for Indian-made weapons systems has proved difficult. To help, Fernandes said he is leaning toward naming an export agency to market the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Dhruv Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH), and BrahMos surface-to-air missile.

Aero India 2003 hosted 176 companies from 22 countries, in spite of rising tensions with Indian and Pakistani diplomats' tit-for-tat expulsions following India's accusations that the Pakistani embassy had funneled cash to militants in Kashmir. The participation level is one indication of the global desire to cash in on plans to modernize and re-equip India's defense forces. An outlay of as much as $10 billion in the next few years is possible.

The Russian presence, though strong, was overshadowed by the visit of French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin, British Minister for Defense Procurement Lord Bach of Lutterworth, Italian Defense Minister Antonio Martino and BAE Systems Chairman Sir Richard Evans.

A Russian supplier remarked: "We will need to be more aggressive as it is apparent we have many western competitors in the arena now."

But Russia has long ties. Its biggest supplier is Irkut Corp. (formerly Irkutsk Aviation Production Organization, IAPO), which has delivered 18 Sukhoi Su-30MKs and 10 Su-MKIs ( AW&ST Oct. 14, 2002, p. 53). It is set to receive 12 more of the multirole fighters this year and 10 next year. Irkut also is to retrofit 18 previously delivered Su-30Ks to the MKI standard for a total cost of about $1 billion, according to Russian industry observers.

In 2004, HAL is to start its own license production of the Su-30MKI. It holds rights to produce 140 twin-seat fighters over the next 17 years. At Aero India, HAL won its first subcontracting award for MKI assemblies to be used by Irkut. The work is to begin with canards and expand to fins and horizontal stabilizers. But, as of yet, only India has purchased the Su-30MKI so the value of the agreement is just $9 million.

HAL Chairman N.R. Mohanty said the company's Nasik assembly site will produce 17 Su-30s per year. The company has begun work on an engine factory at Koraput as part of its manufacturing expansion effort.

HAL and Irkut agreed to jointly develop a multipurpose transport aircraft (MTA) for military use. With a lift of 20 metric tons, it is to have hot-and-high capabilities and eventually include a civilian variant. The MTA is to be base-lined on the Ilushin Il-214.

The Russian contracts and agreements with the French and others are all part of Mohanty's goal of moving HAL into more complex manufacturing exports.

"The aim is to graduate from exporting casting and forging to finished parts," he said, adding that the company plans to open two new facilities for machined works. HAL has targeted export revenues of $20 million in the financial year that ends March 2004 and sees revenues reaching $800 million by the end of fiscal 2004. HAL will build on its traditional military production base and move into more civil work, he said. Toward that end, it is trying to secure structural assembly work on the Airbus A380.

France's role as a major contender among the Europeans worries the Russians. India's 15th-biggest trading partner, France ranks ninth in terms of direct foreign investment. "The visit will enable us to promote our cooperation still further," Raffarin said. At present, India has the advantage in terms of trade: its surplus with France amounts to $500 million on the back of $1.5 billion in exports of goods and services.

The balance might be leveled if industry officials are correct that India is to acquire 126 Dassault Mirage 2000s to supply seven squadrons as a backbone of a newly announced strategic nuclear command. The deal is expected to include assembly of all but 36 of the fighters by HAL under a license agreement. But Air Chief S. Krishnaswamy cautioned the country's defense planners to keep the air force's inventory manageable. "Every time we get a fighter variant, it means extra expenditure on training and logistics."

The Indian air force has modified Mirages for air-to-air refueling in preparation for delivery of its first tanker, an Il-78 from Uzbekistan, by the end of this month.

"Air-to-air refueling modifications have also been carried out on other IAF frontline warplanes--Jaguars, MiG-29s and MiG-27s," Krishnaswamy said.

The French air force recently held refueling training exercises at the Gwalior AB in central India where the Mirage 2000s are stationed. It was the first joint exercise in India in 38 years with a foreign air force, Krishnaswamy said. However, India is holding joint exercises with U.S. forces in the U.S.

HAL REPORTS A HEALTHY order book and will market the Dhruv ALH jointly with IHI. The helicopter is powered by twin Turbomeca TM-333-2B engines with full authority digital engine controls and will use IAI avionics. IHI is opening an office in New Delhi; the two partners see a market potential of $1 billion. Joint Secretary Rakesh Srivastava said Iraq, Mauritius and Sri Lanka have shown an interest in it.

The first 10 helicopters are in operation with three Indian services, including the coast guard. HAL has orders for 34 ALHs, including civilian variants.

HAL Chairman Mohanty sees the possibility of producing structural assemblies for the A380; the European manufacturer has asked for quotations. HAL also will produce ring forgings and castings for the Rolls-Royce Trent engine in a deal valued at $5 million.

HAL and Turbomeca said they would jointly develop the Ardiden ('Shakti' in India) engine for hot-and-high requirements for the ALH as well as parts for the TM-333-2B2 engine that now powers the helicopter. HAL is to get a 30% offset package under the agreement.

Snecma said HAL is to supply $1-million worth of forgings, rolled rings and precision blade forgings for the CFM56-series, with first delivery in mid-2003.

HAL and the National Laboratories displayed their jointly developed Saras 14-seat multirole aircraft, which it is targeting for feeder airline use. First flight is expected by the end of June. A second prototype is to fly in March 2004. Potential customers include the Indian air force employing Saras in a special missions role.

Despite all this talk of progress, it's still unclear who will get India's long-delayed Advanced Jet Trainer contract. Fernandes said the government is on the threshold of a decision. BAE Systems is regarded as the front-runner for the $1.4-billion contract, but Aero Vodochody's L-159B and the MiG-AT are still contenders, he said. All were displayed at the show.

Czech Defense Minister Jaroslav Tvrdikalong pitched the L-159B along with officials from Boeing Ceska, which holds a 35% stake in Aero Vodochody. With the L-159B yet to be inducted, and the Czech air force and the MiG AT still in the design stage, the two are said to be offering significant discounts to overcome the Hawk's lead (the L-159 is reportedly down $400 million). Aero Vodochody Chairman and President Antonin Jakubse said his firm also would offer a fighter variant of the aircraft.

Korea Aerospace Industries/Lockheed Martin have recently joined the competition with the T-50, which is currently being flight tested.
Aditya_M
BRFite

Post by Aditya_M »

Rakesh, :( sorry they're from a digital camera clicked at 640x480 coz I wanted to fit as many as possible in 8 MB.... but yes you can still use them ('cept the ones with me in them ;)

Also anybody wanting the two photos of the guests at the BR meet please email me. For obvious reasons I havent uploaded it.
Rudra
BRFite

Post by Rudra »

interesting to note leased ANTPQ37 from US army reserves started arriving in Jan03. I am sure the first crews are being trained now.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Originally posted by Aditya Mandrekar:
72 is our very own Kaveri

93 is the Adour

94 is the EJ200
Kaveri looks BIG in comparison to the other two! Why? :confused:
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

NOT FROM Aero India, but this 5 page article complements it:

The New Military Industrial Complex

Reader friendly version
chaitanya
BRFite

Post by chaitanya »

Rajeev T, I think those are just scale models of the engines.