Republic Day 2006

Jagan
Webmaster BR

Republic Day 2006

Post by Jagan »

Post all pictures and news reports here.

Meanwhile the AF Awards List

The Hon'ble President of India is pleased to award the following decorations to the Indian Air Force personnel on the eve of Republic Day 2006.

PVSM

Air Marshal – Sharad Yeshwant Savur AVSM, Avinash Deodatta Joshi VM, Avdesh Kumar Singh AVSM VM VSM, Jaspal Singh Gujral VM VSM, Fali Homi Major AVSM SC VM, (Mrs) Padma Bandopadhyay (Retd) AVSM VSM.

AVSM

Air Vice Marshal – Vinod Kumar Verma VM VSM, Rakesh Yadav VSM, Keshava Murthy Rama Sundara VSM, Jyoti Narayan Burma VSM, Naresh Verma VSM.

Air Commodore – Robin Chandra Baruah, Vikas Krishnrao Yajurvedi VM, Ram Krishan Ganjoo VSM, Lalit Kumar Malhotra VSM, Satish Pal Singh VM, Malvinder Singh Ahluwalia, Sanjib Bordoloi

SC

Wg Cdr Alagaraja Perumal

VM(G)

Wg Cdr – Makarand Ranade, Ramesh Chandra Tripathi, Uday Kant Jha, Jaspreet Singh, Joseph Suares, Sqn Ldr - Sirigare Shivashankappa Chaitanya (Posthumous), Sgt Nikku Ram Choudhary

VM

Gp Capt - Ravinder Kumar Dhir, Ravinder Kumar Sharma, Thotten Rajeevan, Sandeep Singh, Wg Cdr - Ranbir Singh Dagar, Radhakrishnan Radhish, Prashant Mukund Vithalkar, Ravi Gopal Krishna Kapoor, Shridhar Kishore Mohlah, Pankaj Dua, Balakrishnan Manikantan, Ashuthosh Dixit, Surat Singh, Jang Veer Singh Guron, Sqn Ldr - Pankaj Kathpal, Satyendra Kumar, Oruganti Siva Narsimham, WO Ramachandran Soundara Rajan

VSM

Air Commodore – Kesava Kurup Vijay Kumar, Sajal Kumar Bhaumik, Dinesh Mukundan, Hitesh Haribhai Patel, Ravi Dhar,
Gp Capt - Paramasivan Murthy, Praveen Khanna, Vinay Kaushal, Muniyappa Suryanarayan Ravindra, Rajiv Mital, Anant Krishna, Kumar Krishnachandrasinghji Gohil, Lov Kumar Vig, Suhaskumar Appajirao Jagdale, Ajay Masson, Narendra Bahadur Singh, Ajit Singh, Gulshan Rai, Harindra Kumar Dhiman, Vivek VM, Sandeep Puri, Mahaveer Singh Shekhawat, Wg Cdr - Amit Choudhary, Sanjeev Chandra, Pramod Kumar Shrivastava, Tarun Kumar Singha, Ravindra Chandra Panda, Dhannjai Vishnu Wani, Sqn Ldr Pramod Kumar Jena, MWO Ramesh Chandra, JWO Krushna Chandra Routray

-------------------------------------------
SQN LDR SIRIGARE SHIVASHANKAPPA CHAITANYA RECIEVES GALLANTARY VM (POSTHUMOUSLY)

New Delhi : January 25, 2006

Wing Commander Chaitanya 'Chaithu' as he was popularly known, has received the presidential award of Vayu Sena Medal Gallantry on the eve of Republic Day 2006 (Posthumously).

Sqn Ldr Chaitany from Chitradurga, Karnatak was commissioned as a Technical officer on 27 May 1996. He completed his basic and advance mountaineering course from HMI Darjeeling and was adjudged ' best student' in the Advance course. His love for mountains and mountaineering drew him irresistibly to the sport. He took part in every IAF mountaineering expedition since 2002 such as Deo Tibba, Manali, Shitidhar and Kamet and summitted all these peaks. He immersed himself in finding out everything about Everest till he became a walking encyclopedia on the mountain. He was involved in everything to do with the planning and organizing of the Everest expedition, be it equipment, communications, photography, route, sherpa support or Govt. approvals. No physical training or any activity could be done without Chaithu being at the forefront. On the mountain itself, he was the first to get up and wake all the others, help in making tea and get things going. Tougher more well informed and more energetic than anyone else on the expedition, it was ironic that Sqn Chaitanya succumbed to dangers of extreme mountaineering, a fact that hs drawn attention to in every discussion. Sqn Ldr Chaitanya reached the summit of his dreams on 30 May 2005. He lies in everlasting peace at 8150 meters in the lap of the mountain he so loved.
-------------------------------------------------------------
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Republic Day Special
http://specials.rediff.com/news/2006/jan/25rsld1.htm

There was another one just one or two days before, which included the flypast pictures. I missed it out.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Security beefed up in Srinagar before R-Day
http://www.rediff.com/news/2006/jan/23sri.htm

Peace bus to roll down Rajpath on Republic Day
http://www.rediff.com/news/2006/jan/18rday.htm

Meet India's Republic Day chief guest
http://www.rediff.com/news/2006/jan/04look.htm

I cannot find that republic day speical part I

Hmm, Kalamji will take the salute tomorrow. I am very eager to watch the parade.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Got it:

All set for R-Day
http://specials.rediff.com/news/2006/jan/20sld1.htm

check this out:
http://specials.rediff.com/news/2006/jan/20sld2.htm

I remember when the Brazilian President was the chief guest, he was found laughing after seeing the Mil police man riding a motor bike while reading the newspaper.
Laks
BRFite

Post by Laks »

http://specials.rediff.com/news/2006/jan/25rsld1.htm
Rediff features a batch of young lady officers undergoing training at the Air Defence College. Only the second batch of women to be inducted into the regiment, this is a slice of a day in their lives.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Cross-posted from BD thread.

BD terrorists trying to disrupt R-day in Delhi

Two Bangladeshi terrorists arrested
New Delhi, Jan 25 (PTI):Delhi Police has arrested two terrorists of Bangladeshi nationality from an East Delhi area and recovered a large quantity of explosives from them which they were suspectedly planning to use to disrupt Republic Day celebrations tomorrow.

Saidul and Shuabul, belonging to Harkat-ul Jehad-e- Islami, were arrested from Shastri Park area last evening, Joint Commisisoner of Police (special cell) Karnal Singh told
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Pls use this thread to collect news and photos of republic day celebration only, not reports of assorted terrorists - put in internal security and other threads.
Ujjal
BRFite

Post by Ujjal »

Don't judge me bad, but this is one of the boldest yet cutest picture of IA I've seen so far ...

putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Kirti Chakra honour for Ghale, Sanjeev, Raghuram[url]
A Gorkha Non-Commissioned officer, Subedar Jagat Bahadur Ghale, who felled three Lashkar militants in hand-to-hand combat in Kashmir, Sanjeev, a police officer who played a stellar role in tsunami rescue efforts and a civilian, Raghuram, from Rajasthan have been decorated with Kirti Chakra in this year's President's Republic Day roll of honours.

All the three, who displayed bravery of exceptional order in the face of death, were awarded posthumously for their supreme sacrifice in the course of duty.

The President decorated 407 armed forces personnel with awards which included 3 Kirti Chakras, 28 PVSMs, 24 shaurya Chakras, 75 sena medals, 21 Vayu Sena Medals and 54 AVSMs.

The awards list also comprise 119 sena medals, 132 VSMs, 42 sena medals (distinguished service), 13 Nau Sena medals.

Ghale was decorated for his dare devil exploits in dense Rajawar forests near the LoC in Kupwara in Jammu and Kashmir, while Sub-inspector Sanjeev has been honoured for saving a number of tsunami victims in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

Director General Military Operations Lt Gen Madan Gopal, Vice Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen S. Pattabhiraman, Western Air Force Commander Air Marshal A K Singh, Lt Gen Devraj Singh, Director General Infantry, and Lt Gen Anup Singh Jamwal, Adjutant General are among those decorated with Param Vishist Seva medal for distinguished service of the highest order.

The other armed forces top brass figuring in the PVSM list include the Eastern Air Commander, Air Marshal Fali Homi Major, country's Strategic Forces Commander Air Marshal AD Joshi and Padma Bandhopadhyay, country's first-ever Woman Air Marshal.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Women police contingent parade during the dress rehearsal for the Republic day function in Srinagar, India, Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2006.

Indian Army's Gorkha Regiment march past the Indian national flag during the final dress rehearsal before the Republic Day celebrations in Kolkata, India, Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2006, 2006. India will celebrate its 57th Republic Day on Jan. 26.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Can we list all the websites that will stream the Audio and/ or Vidio broacast the Republic Day Parade?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

PIB has this past RDP photo feature here
http://pib.nic.in/archieve/others/2006/ ... 060121.asp

This photo of a MiG-21MF from 1978 is interesting in that the pilot is wearing a pressure suit with a full face helmet
http://pib.nic.in/archieve/others/2006/ ... a26109.jpg
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Arun_S wrote:Can we list all the websites that will stream the Audio and/ or Vidio broacast the Republic Day Parade?
Arun

we can start here http://republicday.nic.in/

Presidents address webcast. Hopefully they will webcast the parade too!
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Someone please please record it and upload it. Including the Beating the retreat - I want to show this to a bunch of folks here
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Please post any other websites with live video streams besides Doordarshan and Informatics just in case one or the other doesn't work. No other news sites (like NDTV) seem to have any mention of coverage which is really frustrating. I could live with some commercials and pay a reasonable fee if someone could get their stuff together to do a passable quality live webcast. The Informatics site seems to be simply showing the President's address from yesterday while Doordarshan's info is zilch inspite of a busy-looking website.
Walker
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Walker »

The NDTV 24x7 channel is available in the US on DirecTV. They keep on saying that they have full day coverage, but fail to mention if they will broadcast the parade or not. Star News is also on DirecTV, but last year they did not show the Aug. 15 ceremonies.
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

Jagan wrote:
Arun_S wrote:Can we list all the websites that will stream the Audio and/ or Vidio broacast the Republic Day Parade?
Arun

we can start here http://republicday.nic.in/

Presidents address webcast. Hopefully they will webcast the parade too!
Source: TribuneIndia.com

http://republicday.nic.in
This site will Webcast live coverage of the 55th Republic Day celebration. So now you can sit back and enjoy Republic Day Parade live from Rajpath on the Internet. This Webcast can be viewed only on Real player. This site also contains links from where you can also download the latest versions of Real Player.
DD-National - Programme Schedule
THURSDAY, 26TH JANUARY, 2006

09.20AM REPUBLIC DAY PARADE - LIVE FROM RAJPATH
Another ~30mins .. to go :wink:
kantak
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kantak »

Yo guys the parade is about to begin .So turn on doordarshan right now!
Omar
BRFite

Post by Omar »

Does anyone know of any good screen capturing software to record the parade? I've tested out SnagIt(c) however it fails to capture streaming video.
Rampy
BRFite

Post by Rampy »

kantak wrote:Yo guys the parade is about to begin .So turn on doordarshan right now!

guys I have logged in DD channel, but I am not able to find the link and nor is the republicday.nic is showing anything except the presidents speech

can someone tell the link pls for the parade live
Walker
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Walker »

GUYS, its live on http://republicday.nic.in/
ManuJ
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ManuJ »

Walker wrote:GUYS, its live on http://republicday.nic.in/
How come I can only see the President's speech?!
Naidu
BRFite

Post by Naidu »

Do you have the URL to plug into my Real Player? The plug-in at the site dies with a cryptic "general error". Thanks!
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

ManuJ wrote:
How come I can only see the President's speech?!
Keep Pressing the refresh button.. as it may be cached.. The same happened to me.. :oops:

The Full URL is --> rtsp://164.100.51.15:554/encoder/republicday260106.rm?cloakport=8080,554,7070
Walker
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Walker »

If you see the President's speech, press Ctrl + F5 to refresh.
JimmyD
BRFite -Trainee

Post by JimmyD »

Is anybody else getting a smooth feed? The real media feed is extremely slow, although it's got really nice clarity. The feed from DD works on and off, but at 51kbps, it's really poor quality. It's almost impossible to make out any faces. Perhaps I should just try it tomorrow when the load on the servers is less.

Jimmy
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Thanks, Walker. Would never have figured out the ctrl+F5. Feed is not good, its very herky jerky with sound coming and going. Hopefully it will improve tomorrow on replay. Also hope Informatics puts up Beating The Retreat.

Is anyone getting a pulse from Doordarshan? Miracle!
Sudhir
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sudhir »

Recoreded some of it using a real video stream capture -thought it would improve the quality - its still very jerky stream - not worth it.
Walker
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Walker »

For those interested, the site also has an archived video of the RD celebrations from 2003.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

DD screwed up the flypast big time :evil: :evil: :evil: Showed the faces of some spectators and the back of the head of HH and HE :evil: :evil:
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Jai Hind.

Republic day greetings to fellow Indians.

As usual, the Republic Day parade, the tableaux and the cultural show were marked by precision, pride and gaiety. With due respect to our chief guest, King Abdullah of KSA, I could not but feel the great difference between that country and ours. The marching columns had some woman's contingent and there were a couple of women leading the march past as well. In addition, the cultural troupes had an overwhelming presence of women who were freely mixing with men. Every troupe indulged in singing and dancing. At least on one occassion, the Saudi contingent was seen applauding. Of course, women taking their rightful place along with men and mixing freely and singing and dancing are all anathema to the strict Wahhabi school of thought, which KSA implements so rigorously using the dreaded Mutawwa. I know that King Abdullah is widely travelled and certainly wants to relax some of the restrictions, but I do hope that this great sight today had opened some closed doors in his mind and those of his fellow accompanists.
Ujjal
BRFite

Post by Ujjal »

Jai Hind to all Indians.

I'm really happy to hear from Sunit Tandon of DD News.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

^^

From what little of the parade i was able to view on the Real Player, I heard the commentator talk about how so much of this is a totally new experience for our chief guest, and thats the first thing that came in my mind, that look, Your Highness, women marching and dancing!

He is known as a reformer and if nothing else, I too hope he takes this experience with him and put it to use in the House of Saud.

I am praying some BRF'ite in India recorded the parade?!?!

Ujjal, you mean he can provide some footage?
Raju

Post by Raju »

Dileep wrote:DD screwed up the flypast big time :evil: :evil: :evil: Showed the faces of some spectators and the back of the head of HH and HE :evil: :evil:
he he..they do it all the time.
Raju

Post by Raju »

Let me note some salient points IMO..

1. APJ pointing out the Brahmos missile with pride to the Saudi King..."Ahh look now that's my baby" !!

2. The immensely decorated camel regiment and band, when everybody was looking at the Saudi delegation for reactions. DD didn't pan the camera to show their reaction and missed capturing some interesting moments.

3. The Jawans who read newspapers while astride backwards on their bike. This stunt even elicited a clap from Khomeini who was the chief guest at 2005. The chief guest this time around too gestured with his hand in appreciation.

4. The humongous amphibious bridge which elicited raised eyebrows from everyone including even Sonia ji.

5. DD's total lack of ability at capturing any footage of the Jet flypasts.
Aruni
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Aruni »

Wishing all BR members a very happy Republic Day :!:
Kumar
BRFite

Post by Kumar »

Jai Hind!!

A happy republic day to everyone! :)

Re: The parade

1. Don't you just love the diversity of our country! :)

2. Saudi King appeared quite relaxed when he came. But as the show progressed he appeared a bit slouched. A combination of peaked interest as well as feeling a bit startled and diminished perhaps. He did seem to be captivated more by the cultural tableaux portion. And the motorcycle daredevils drew out his hand in a way a boy points something interesting to his mom, "look Ma"... :)

3. President's address on the eve of the republic day was in his unique style. A bit professorial, a bit grandfatherly and a bit lovable. I am happy that he is our president.

4. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, during the laying of the wreath at the amar jawan jyoti, appeared tentative. I just thought about Vajpayee, Kalam and Manmohan Singh, all quite softy milquetoast like in certain ways, but with great capacity and vision in other ways. Manmohan Singh seems diminished due to the sycophant culture of the Congress that makes even the old fogies ready to lick slippers of the dynastic babies. But the best man in Congress is our PM. I shudder to think of someone like Arjun Singh or Natwar Singh as the PM.

5. Priyanka and Rahul were exchanging something funny, but the Vadra dude looked like one stern fella. It would be a nice combo, and good for India, if they forgot about politics and joined Bollywood instead.

6. Sonia Gandhi appeared content, relaxed and well fed.
Last edited by Kumar on 26 Jan 2006 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Kumar
BRFite

Post by Kumar »

P.S. Everytime the missile-displays passed by, I thought the DD commentators would perhaps recall the connection with President Kalam. But none of them did. Pretty strange as some commentators were retd. Brigadiers. May be his gandpa manners and stylish hairdo lull people into subconsciously thinking that he couldn't have done it!
Ujjal
BRFite

Post by Ujjal »

DD has again effed-up flight formation display.

The last commentator was going - and the sukhoi...what the sukhoi..oh the sukhoi..the sukhoi oh ah eeh the sukhoi :lol:

Vasu, I meant I'm hearing Sunit Tandon's voice after 3 years!! Only after 12th exams, our parents decided to get cable. So, I was a big fan of DD products - Sunit being the role player of daily news.

I've downloaded the whole telecast. It's around 232 MB - Real Audio. I can upload it on our server if you guys want it.

It's a dream come true about R-Day Webcast. I had emailed Dr. Kalam 3 years ago about this - and he replied me back that he would do the necessary. Email reply from a President!! I got pwned!
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Delhi Police?

Image[/img]