Aero India 2009

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Re: Aero India 2009

Post by Raja Bose »

Kapil,

Let me know when you have the info on the website. Would also help if some sort of 3rd party payment system such as PayPal is available. Makes for much safer purchases via CC.

Thanks!
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Some more brochures..

SAAB mission avionics....... 3MB........... http://ifile.it/shomf9l
SAAB ElectronicWarfare..... 3MB............ http://ifile.it/924zoyn

KPrasad - after all files are uploaded individually, I will make a zip file of all and upload it on mediafire.. and send a link..
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

rakall wrote:Some more brochures..

SAAB mission avionics....... 3MB........... http://ifile.it/shomf9l
SAAB ElectronicWarfare..... 3MB............ http://ifile.it/924zoyn

KPrasad - after all files are uploaded individually, I will make a zip file of all and upload it on mediafire.. and send a link..
Superb rakall... thanks a ton!!

I was wondering if we can put these up in image form on the Aero India brochuritis gallery?? I think it wouldn't be hard to convert the pdf to image...
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

40MM SPARCS from ST Kinetics 400KB

http://ifile.it/jvtk5cd

Dont know about uploading them in Image format.. I will try it over the weekend - but that will mean scanning all the stuff all over again.. have to see how the image format scanning works when scanning multiple pages.. will try over the weekend..
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

rakall wrote:40MM SPARCS from ST Kinetics 400KB
This was a very interesting concept that was shown... would definitely be interesting to see where it can be used.
rakall wrote: Dont know about uploading them in Image format.. I will try it over the weekend - but that will mean scanning all the stuff all over again.. have to see how the image format scanning works when scanning multiple pages.. will try over the weekend..
Never mind about that rakall... continue with the pdfs... I think it'll be easier to convert that into an image format. no need to re-scan everything again... I know how much effort that is.
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kedar.karmarkar »

Inside scoop on the Tejas - well not quite the way everyone thought - :wink:

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^ Boss, how on earth did you take this pic??? :shock: Were you standing on the Tejas's wing or something?! :mrgreen:
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

As a matter of fact, I was - I too was surprised, when the chance came along - Couldnt believe my wits :wink:

Some from the IAF Flypast -

Mi-8s carrying the various flags

Tejas formation flight - Well, my zoom was too large to get the 4th one in - so did what you gotta do

An32 and Dorniers -

Liked the Jags formation - they are just great and tight -

The IL dragging the Mirages

Hawks in Formation -
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

Couple of decent Saras ones, I got - Godspeed, and RIP to the crew

kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

Some of the Suryakirans -

Taxiing out

Taking off

Opening Sequence -

Hanging upside down -

Finale Burst

Landing back
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

kedar.karmarkar wrote:As a matter of fact, I was - I too was surprised, when the chance came along - Couldnt believe my wits :wink:
AoA! :shock: How did such a prized chance come along??? :mrgreen: Did you promise to wash some HAL/ADA engineer's baniyans for the next 30 days or something??! :wink: Please tell us more about this incident (the getting access to Tejas, not the baniyan washing!)...this is really fascinating.
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

kedar.karmarkar wrote:Inside scoop on the Tejas - well not quite the way everyone thought - :wink:

Kedar thanks a ton for that pic mate, made me day to actually get an insight into a real cockpit of a flying Tejas. The fit and finish looks immaculate, on first sight one would be guessing all along that its the cockpit of a top of the line gora jet...

Quick question for ze gurus: There seems to be some sort of a solid cover bolted on the HUD (I think its very similar to the cover on the HUD of early Mig 29 and SU27s dont think rambha's hud has it). What is the primary purpose of this cover???
TIA
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

Kedar, do you have a higher resolution picture of Tejas cockpit ?
tejas
BRFite

Post by tejas »

Kedar, your pics are truly exceptional and I would like to thank you for sharing them. BTW does anyone have any idea how the updated HUD (SAMTEL- HAL joint veneture) is coming along. The TEJAS cockpit, I think, is gorgeous with the exception of the antiquated looking HUD. :oops:
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Nice way of putting those two K's
Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

The Tejas cockpit picture needs to go in to the BR photo gallery, with Kedar's permission off course.
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

kedar,
sir your photographs are wonderful. they refresh me after tough days. please keep them up.
i really must have done something good to be able to see those wonderful machines through you and BRF.
wonderful once again
girish.r
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by girish.r »

krishnan wrote:Nice way of putting those two K's
I second that. :) Truly exceptional pics. Thank you!
girish.r
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by girish.r »

Raja Bose wrote:
Kapil wrote: Guys,sorry for the plug but please help us by buying Kedar's gorgeous Red Flag book:

http://www.anveshan.com/product_info.ph ... d8d5924411
Kaps,

Will be glad to. I was also looking at the SU-30 book by Simon Watson and Jagan's 1965 Air war book. However, for us jingos stuck in the Khan, the shipping page is extremely rudimentary with no info on overseas shipping cost/delivery time. Also price of all items is in INR onlee...what are the USD prices for the above 3 books? Please point me to the right page if the info is already there.

I thought Kedar is based in Arnoldistan too so if you guys think it is feasible, I can collect the Red Flag book in person from him also.
Well would be glad if these can be put up as a sticky and an option to purchase it online.

Kapil, also if you could share the DVD titles with you.

Regards
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

Thanks much folks. I really appreciate your comments.

I just love the Su - and the imposing shots it gives, when on the ground -

Getting ready for the Demo -

Making yourself comfortable in the office -

It is a credit to the Maint Officers and crew - that they flew only one bird for all the seven days of AI, and did not have to change birds on any occasion -

Quick Maint Query -

All Systems check -

Flight controls check -

Taxi out to active -

OOoooofffffff wwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeee gggggggggooooooooo
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Kedar-sir,
No pic of the Su cockpit? :mrgreen:
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

Some inspiring and imposing angles on the ground, and in the air -

Nosewheel turning as the Su taxies back to its spot on the ramp -

Long nose -
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

In the air -

Going down -

and then back up again -
Image :D

This shows the impressive paint scheme on the dorsal side - almost looks like its doing a knife edge - but it was just rolling -
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

Some cooooool afterburner shots :wink:

kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

Some up close and personal :wink:

I posted some of these a while back, but they were QnDs - these are well-worked upon -

Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Stunning as usual Kedar.
rahuldevnath
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rahuldevnath »

Exceptionally Incredible! 8)
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Kedar,

What can I say about your pics except.... Image

Is there any possibility for having some of the SU-30 shots and the LCA cockpit pic hosted in wallpaper quality on B-R/IAF?
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

U drilled the Su-30 man !!!!
Stunning images as always Kedar Image
Mate what was the reg'n of the second Su-30 parked in the special livery ?
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

kedar
wonderful. words fail me.
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

Amazing pics Kedar bhau, may your tribe increase.

Posting my experience/perspective on AI-09.
Sorry for a bit of a rant but my experience with AI-09 was a mixed bag one, bordering on the bad side.
To begin with I had an issue with the ticketing and bought two business class tickets. Then on the day of action (14th Feb no less), me and SHQ made our way to Mekhri Circle which was the closest point for us on the bus route to Yelahanka AFS. I was almost on time as per my reckoning.
We didn’t know that there were two kinds of bus services that led to two different parking lots and entry points. (To those who didn’t attend or didn’t know, there were Suvarna and Volvo buses, former leading to the General Visitors entry and the latter leading to the Business Visitors entry.)
(Inline image to give an idea of the venue)
We took the first bus which was an almost packed Suvarna we got not knowing what we were in for. We stood the whole way, which was fine by me as I am used to such things. So the bus took us to the general visitors’ entrance and I started getting a feeling something isn’t right. I thought maybe the bus would go to the next entrance later or there was some way through to the business area. Then the bus reached a complete stop and everybody was asked to get down, I went ahead and asked the conductor if the bus was going to the business class entrance, he said no and said I had to reach there by myself ie on foot. I asked atleast three more people either from police or reception desk they had in general area, if there was a way from the general area to business area, all saying no. The distance they told was 3 Km I think it was about 4-4.5 Km. I had reached the show area on time (9:50 am) but was in the wrong area at the right time. So I had 10 minutes to reach the business area WITH SHQ. I found I was not alone in this, there were other people who were moving with us and quite a few coming from the opposite direction. It was like force marching her (and she is an asthmatic). For some time she co-operated, grumbling about how these people had not done proper arrangement etc, then she threw a bit of tantrum, which I had to put aside by strong words, from then on it we were silently “walking”, even if it was an uneasy silence. By the time we reached the main road we heard the roar of the LCA in the air. That helped some wind back in my sails and I could get SHQ to speed up a bit, just to get a few glimpses of it. We found a lot of people going both ways. Some had even hired ricks, and all available ricks were hired. I tried to find one too, but failed.

Somehow we made it to the next gate. By this time the F-18 had started performing. At the first gate they made us take out our camera (I carried my KB-10 :D ) and take a pic (and that remains the only pic I took with that cam, the roll is still not finished)Then asked us our tickets, we were frisked and then to the next gate. Here there was a big crowd and the AF Police guys were threatening to stop people from entering if they didn’t form a queue. I got in between what was a forming queue. Then there was the last gate with another line, from where we could see the Eurofighter performing and finally we made it near the halls.

All this had exhausted both of us, more mentally than physically. SHQ wanted to sit for sometime, while I was interested in the flying display, so for a compromise I suggested that we should go to hall B :D (chankian move onlee). So in we go to the A/C wallah hall, which was refreshing from the heat outside. Then we proceeded towards the BR stall, where I met Kapil standing at the stall. Kaps didn’t seem to be in a particularly good mood, maybe he had got one of those book stealing PSU folks a few minutes back. He asked about my BR handle which I told him, I asked about shiv, he said wasn’t going to come, but told me rakall was here, and that shiv and k prasad were there yesterday. Kapchan I hope we meet in better times :D . We strolled about a bit in the hall, with SHQ getting impressed with phoren maal on display there. Then we moved out to the exhibition area took a few photos around Nishant and LCA. Saw the Sarang display, which SHQ liked immensely, followed by C-17 and a couple of displays. After that the morning session of air display came to an end.

What happened after was worse than all others combined. The toilets were bad, stinking terribly, not cleaned, no one was attending to them. The queues for food were horrible, so were the facility to sit/stand and eat. The food was overpriced, bad quality and not available in enough quantity. There weren’t enough counters or space for eating food. It didn’t help that kingfisher stall was located right in the middle, so anybody who got beer for themselves ended up swilling some amount of it either on themselves or others. And I haven’t mentioned the amount of crowd. There were NO dustbins around and I was shocked to find this. I had to throw my plate in a pile of rubbish. Don’t airbases have a strict code of cleanliness? God only knows how I got my meals from that kamat stall.

This chaos considering that the number of tickets sold was less this year is something very strange. There should have been more stalls and definitely better hygiene.

The AFWWA stall however was good. There was a nice lady who was standing with the people coming for browsing the stall (not across the counter), and was guiding people behind the counter to get them interested in the goodies they were displaying. I was interested in buying the Sarang cap, but was overruled by SHQ(too costly, she said). The lady directed the staff to give her a free Autographed Sarang team poster. For more details see below.

We left the stall and then went to another hall, after sometime the evening air display started and we went and enjoyed the view. The Suryakiran team did a nice display. LCA, Su-30, Hawk, Eurofighter, F-16, Sarang, Akashganga team Army commandos with Dhruv all put up really nice displays. I think they have enacted some new safety restrictions on the displays, so the displays weren’t as exciting as they were last time. Nevertheless SHQ loved them and that was one big plus. She liked the Sarang and Suryakirans’ displays. My personal favs were the Dhruvs with the commandos and the Sarang team. I thought the Suryakiran display was a bit tame as compared to what they had unleashed last time. But I know they can do better. Hope the next time I see them they would do them stunts and better and be safe still. We lingered till most of the public had left and took photos of the static displays after most of the public had gone. I was lucky to sight the Iskra and the photos of it were almost an afterthought. With that our Aero India 09 came to an end.

Note:
For me this airshow was special for a few reasons:
I might not be around in B’lore or even desh to visit the next airshow, so probably my last AI for quite some time, this is the first time I came to the “business class” section, seen the static display and the halls and met a couple of BRFites in real life “kprasad” and “Kapil”, saw the BR stall and stuff on display on it and last but not the least this was my major chance to introduce SHQ to the world of Aero India. Making her familiar to terms like LCA= Tejas, ALH=Dhruv, Nishant, Rustom, Suryakiran, Sarang, Su-30 etc etc. I wasn’t very keen on visiting the halls and asking questions because of all these reasons, that kapil told me rakall was here reduced quite some guilt I had for being selfish. Kapil they got your email wrong in the exhibitors list.

The HAL people however have done a thorough job of confusing newbies by labeling the ALHs as cobra. I found atleast 10 people calling ALHs as cobra and not Dhruv. Even SHQ was confused. What with Cobra=Sarang=Dhruv. I overcame that saying that Cobra was an export version of Dhruv, so they are not same. Similar but not identical :D .

PS: The Sarang poster which was given by the AFWWA stall SHQ liked that a lot. The poster was duly rolled and kept in a safe manner till it reached home. We bought nothing from the stall, which is something SHQ rues still. I retort that we could have bought the cap, she replying it was costly, to which my reply is that now its not possible for us to get such a cap and we cant buy one even if we were to pay double of that. That argument seals the discussion and she seems to have relented to allowing me to buy something of that sort if we visit another airshow. She was very happy with the poster and requested me to get it laminated (and ofcourse I obliged, heck I was going to do it myself if she hadn’t asked.) The poster is awesome, that its autographed makes it even special. It’s a single Sarang helo over UK. Will post a picture of it on the gallery sometime. God bless the AFWWA. Thank you for this awesome gift to us undeserving people. My kid(s) (as and when they are born) are gonna grow up seeing that poster, and that is what the real value of that poster is.

IMP: I was foolish in ignoring anshul, arun_s and shiv’s guide on AI essentials. Those sunburns took sometime to go. Request to admins that these posts be put in bold the next time AI is organized.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Same hapened to me too!!!

Got down at the wrong gate( went via BMTC) since no warning was provided about the correct gate the bus was going to.
Had to walk back 4-5 km to the business area gate(no lift possible since it was a one way in the other direction) by which time the 10AM air show had started and thus, had to see half the show from the main road!!! :(
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

sum
and we know we were not alone, there were dozens going both ways.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

K Mehta wrote:sum
No problems here. The BMTC Volvo I had climbed into dropped in in front of the gate for business visitors (no.3)
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

A krish wrote:
K Mehta wrote:sum
No problems here. The BMTC Volvo I had climbed into dropped in in front of the gate for business visitors (no.3)
lucky you. But the point I am raising here is that there was no mention of where the bus would drop you. A lot of people were forced to dandi march thanks to this lack of info/ communication gap. I dont think you knew where there the bus was heading. Did you?
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Actually, no. But the bus went by (not exactly by) almost all the gates and some people got down where their entry was. The last stop was gate 3.
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

well it was just fate that we got a completely full suvarna first up, not knowing the freq of the pick up buses, we took the first one we got. if it had been a volvo, things would have been different. well what happened, happened.
Just hope such things dont happen again to others.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

K Mehta wrote:well it was just fate that we got a completely full suvarna first up, not knowing the freq of the pick up buses, we took the first one we got. if it had been a volvo, things would have been different. well what happened, happened.
Just hope such things dont happen again to others.
Same here...
I think the volvos went to business gates(and the non-business guys would have to to trek 4 km downstream) while the suvarna went to the public area( which meant that the business guys in those buses would have to do the 4 km upstream trek)...

This was the only major problem i saw in the otherwise excellent BMTC service..
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

Vishal Jolapara wrote:U drilled the Su-30 man !!!!
Stunning images as always Kedar Image
Mate what was the reg'n of the second Su-30 parked in the special livery ?
Thanks much folks - glad I could make the day for some of you folks.

SB112 - was the standby bird, but did not fly. SB050 flew all the days. SB114 was static.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Any thing on the Sudarshan LGB PGM from Aero India 2009?