Aero India 2009

shiv
BRF Oldie

Aero India 2009

Post by shiv »

http://www.aeroindia.in/

Aero India 2009 will be held from 11 to 15th Feb 2009

I realise that this is early, But a lot of people coming from abroad have to book tickets and accommodation - so sooner the better

In 2007 - I had some personal issues that prevented me from arranging a big meet like we had in 2005 and 2003, with a lot of invitees. But now we have an active an large Bangalore BR group and hopefully we can get together to have a really good meeting with interesting people.

Need to plan in advance. It is not lack of enthusiasm that stops great meetings from occurring - but poor logistics.

Almost every BR member wants to attend the meet and it is relatively easy to get people. We have had some interesting invitees in the past, including AM Rajkumar and Admiral Dawson and many others. Typically - all the BR members contribute and the guests are invitees. The numbers are always in a flux so arrangements sometimes have to be done at the very last moment.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Re: Aero India 2009

Post by Philip »

Shiv,what about the thought I had about a BR "Annual" publication,with a retrospective of the previous year and challenges for the new one?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Philip wrote:Shiv,what about the thought I had about a BR "Annual" publication,with a retrospective of the previous year and challenges for the new one?
Philip - either we had this discussion on a bad phone line or I was too drunk to recall. Could you please jog my memory about this idea?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Shiv,BR brings out a "hard" copy publication,an "Annual",which contains analysis of key events of the previous year,with separate features for each of the services,plus the challenges that might have to be met in the ensuing year.It will give a BR perspective of events.For example,one intriguing article could be written about the Arjun vs T-90 spat.Another about the threat from cross-border terrorism of a "democratic" Pak and methods to deal with it.It will also qualify for BR being a part of the official press corps,in its own right,rather than sail on the tail of friends.The "Annual" can be released at the Air Show.I'm sure that we can sell enough to meet printing costs and sponsors can be found.A few well known personalities can also be interviewed or contribute articles too.Since the Air Show is in Feb.there's enough time for the same.You being our annual host,can take the lead.Lay on McShiv!

PS:BR's pics/DVDs/etc. were in good demand last time round.This time we could even get T-shirts and other souvenirs made in time.The other point I made was BRites attending the various seminars/papers that will be held at the same time.
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

Philip wrote:Shiv,BR brings out a "hard" copy publication,an "Annual",which contains analysis of key events of the previous year,with separate features for each of the services,plus the challenges that might have to be met in the ensuing year.It will give a BR perspective of events.For example,one intriguing article could be written about the Arjun vs T-90 spat.Another about the threat from cross-border terrorism of a "democratic" Pak and methods to deal with it.It will also qualify for BR being a part of the official press corps,in its own right,rather than sail on the tail of friends.The "Annual" can be released at the Air Show.I'm sure that we can sell enough to meet printing costs and sponsors can be found.A few well known personalities can also be interviewed or contribute articles too.Since the Air Show is in Feb.there's enough time for the same.You being our annual host,can take the lead.Lay on McShiv!

PS:BR's pics/DVDs/etc. were in good demand last time round.This time we could even get T-shirts and other souvenirs made in time.The other point I made was BRites attending the various seminars/papers that will be held at the same time.

Make it a quarterly publication and it will begin to keep pace with the fast turn of events. My advice.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

anupmisra wrote:
Philip wrote:Shiv,BR brings out a "hard" copy publication,an "Annual",which contains analysis of key events of the previous year,with separate features for each of the services,plus the challenges that might have to be met in the ensuing year.It will give a BR perspective of events.For example,one intriguing article could be written about the Arjun vs T-90 spat.Another about the threat from cross-border terrorism of a "democratic" Pak and methods to deal with it.It will also qualify for BR being a part of the official press corps,in its own right,rather than sail on the tail of friends.The "Annual" can be released at the Air Show.I'm sure that we can sell enough to meet printing costs and sponsors can be found.A few well known personalities can also be interviewed or contribute articles too.Since the Air Show is in Feb.there's enough time for the same.You being our annual host,can take the lead.Lay on McShiv!

Make it a quarterly publication and it will begin to keep pace with the fast turn of events. My advice.
The problem is - who is gong to sit and do all the writing? Check the deluge of articles that are drowning the editor of SRR :roll:
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Yup!The Monitor was a quarterly publication on the net,but this requires a dedicated editor and contributors.For this we also need some professionals involved ( veterans).The "Annual" is intended to be a first effort,which could later on become more regular.
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

Philip wrote:Yup!The Monitor was a quarterly publication on the net,but this requires a dedicated editor and contributors.For this we also need some professionals involved ( veterans).The "Annual" is intended to be a first effort,which could later on become more regular.
A professionally written and produced serious journal (rather than just a ragtag magazine) can be "for profit". Its the next evolutionary step for BR to take. I often read excellently written articles by BR members who can be further encouraged to take on more researched articles. Pay them a share of sales. A quarterly publication evokes a sense of seriousness. I realize the monumental task ahead for Shiv and others, but BR has some serious advice to give to the establishment, and this could be one route to do it.

My two cents.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

shiv wrote:http://www.aeroindia.in/

Aero India 2009 will be held from 11 to 15th Feb 2009 ...
Just a thought - do not kill me on it ... please ...

In another thread you mentioned that you have access but do not have the right camera. How about raising some funds to buy you a good camera? I am sure if 50 BR poster's contribute 25 amerikee bucks equivalent - you will have a decent size budget for say a Nikon D40x with lens upto 200 mm.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

disha wrote:
shiv wrote:http://www.aeroindia.in/

Just a thought - do not kill me on it ... please ...

In another thread you mentioned that you have access but do not have the right camera. How about raising some funds to buy you a good camera? I am sure if 50 BR poster's contribute 25 amerikee bucks equivalent - you will have a decent size budget for say a Nikon D40x with lens upto 200 mm.
:rotfl:

No.

I have too many cameras, but none is the "right" one! . All cameras become obsolete in 2 years. But that apart good photography at airshows requires a "higher level of civilization" than India has reached. Don't kill me for this - I will explain.

Nations like Britain and the US realized long ago that there is a sub-culture of people who love aircraft and catering to that sub-culture by allowing them, to see, touch and take pictures of aircraft is a self-feeding process in which interest in aeronautics and flying is generated spawning a great industry to make a great nation.

In India a photographer is treated like an unnecessary pain. Nothing is done to held a photographer-enthusiast and everything is done to get in his way. Only press photographers - some of whom cannot differentiate between a cow's backside and an afterburner get "press passes" and genuine enthusiast with moderately good cameras have to have "influence" to get into a good place for pictures.

It may anger people if I say this - but Indians at large (even educated ones) are such a primitive people that 50% of the governmental jokers in charge of the airshow and half the population think pilots are glorified drivers. With pilots being glorified drivers what are photographers other than freeloading gawkers and a pain in the neck. The absence of an great aviation industry in India fits in perfectly well with the absence of the recognition and encouragement of a aviation loving culture in India.

You can get the most expensive cameras in India but Aero india does not give a damn for enthusiasts. Pride of place goes to Gandhi topi clad politicians who will speak of "Admiral Fali Major, chief of Ar Staff" and the late "Air marshal Sam Manekshaw"

These jokers who will get the best placed and will be fawned over while a genuine, knowledgeable enthusiast who may help creat a generation of aircraft designers and fighter pilots are swept aside and kept with cotton candy eating picnickers in Aero India.

Sorry about the rant - but just check the Nellis AFB thread.

In India aviation enthusiasts are the wrong caste. They are mlecchas to the Brahmin of the politician and "press photographers"
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

shiv wrote: Nations like Britain and the US realized long ago that there is a sub-culture of people who love aircraft and catering to that sub-culture by allowing them, to see, touch and take pictures of aircraft is a self-feeding process in which interest in aeronautics and flying is generated spawning a great industry to make a great nation.
I remember little kids gawking at SRE in an exhibition - almost 2 feet away from touch. ISRO *is* doing something similiar by its Youth satellite project. However ADA/HAL has not institutionalised it. So there are some feeble attempts...
In India aviation enthusiasts are the wrong caste. They are mlecchas to the Brahmin of the politician and "press photographers"
Sad but true ...
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

I'll try and make it for the show.... I've missed the past two editions, (after attending everyone before that, including the trial runs), so I dont want to miss this one, even if it costs me an air ticket. :twisted:
Venkarl
BRFite

Post by Venkarl »

shiv wrote:
disha wrote: Just a thought - do not kill me on it ... please ...

:rotfl:

No.

I have too many cameras, but none is the "right" one! . All cameras become obsolete in 2 years. But that apart good photography at airshows requires a "higher level of civilization" than India has reached. Don't kill me for this - I will explain.

Nations like Britain and the US realized long ago that there is a sub-culture of people who love aircraft and catering to that sub-culture by allowing them, to see, touch and take pictures of aircraft is a self-feeding process in which interest in aeronautics and flying is generated spawning a great industry to make a great nation.

In India a photographer is treated like an unnecessary pain. Nothing is done to held a photographer-enthusiast and everything is done to get in his way. Only press photographers - some of whom cannot differentiate between a cow's backside and an afterburner get "press passes" and genuine enthusiast with moderately good cameras have to have "influence" to get into a good place for pictures.

It may anger people if I say this - but Indians at large (even educated ones) are such a primitive people that 50% of the governmental jokers in charge of the airshow and half the population think pilots are glorified drivers. With pilots being glorified drivers what are photographers other than freeloading gawkers and a pain in the neck. The absence of an great aviation industry in India fits in perfectly well with the absence of the recognition and encouragement of a aviation loving culture in India.

You can get the most expensive cameras in India but Aero india does not give a damn for enthusiasts. Pride of place goes to Gandhi topi clad politicians who will speak of "Admiral Fali Major, chief of Ar Staff" and the late "Air marshal Sam Manekshaw"

These jokers who will get the best placed and will be fawned over while a genuine, knowledgeable enthusiast who may help creat a generation of aircraft designers and fighter pilots are swept aside and kept with cotton candy eating picnickers in Aero India.

Bottom line...hand :P :lol:....pure pun intended
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

shiv wrote:
disha wrote: No.

Hey Mr Shiv. Who the hell you think you are ? A great aviation fan ?

Just because you can distinguish between a MiG 27M and a MiG 23BN and between a Mi 8 and a Mi 17 you becoem a graet aviation man. And you make fun of poooor press photographers who find it so difficult to distinguish between a MiG 21 and MiG 25 or a Seaking and Alouette II ? Shame Shame ?

You think the Aero India is suppose to be for great aero intellectuals like you

No sir no

Aero India is for the poor PSU employees to have a day out with their wives, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, mother-in-laws, father-in-laws, brother-in-laws,sister-in-laws, xzy-in-laws etc.

Aero India is for the poor PSU employees to grab, I REPEAT, grab the complimentary gifts doled out by the stall owners.

Aero India is Aero India is for the poor PSU employees to grab BR CDs. (When I was at the BR stall, a HAL official DEMANDED that they, being government employees, MUST be given free CDs AND photographs.

Aero India is for the press photographers and journalist to have some free air rides so that they write something very nice about them e.g. Embraer makes world class combat aircraft and Bombardier is the leading European manufacturer of helicoptors.

Aero India is for the poor PSU employees and their largish ( say 10+) families to sit out and have breakfats, lunch and afternoon high tea under the shadows of a diving SU 30

I think you should use your good offices and reduce this international air show from being degraded in to a sas-bahu farce

Kersi
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Kersiji,what about the poor bosses of the PSUs,ministries and their salivating at the "Natashas" and "Susies" of the show? They too must have their fun,No? I seriously suggest that BR has a competiton for the most beautiful "babe of the show" of the exhibitors.I volunteer to be one of the judges and will sponsor a special package for the winning babe.He!he!He!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Having a 300mm or longer lens is no doubt great for getting planes up close, but aviation photography requires an open space with a 360 degree view.

Linked from the thumbnail below is a Google earth pic of Yelahanka that I have labelled. ou may want to enlarge the pic to see details.

Normally business visitors only get to see the flying displays from the "show visitor's photo area". This is a neither here nor there area. The displays aimed at the VIP crowd (labelled VIP seating) are way away to the left so helo demonstrations are nearly invisible and can be seen only via telephoto lens above the heads of people milling around.

The C-17 video below was taken from this area:
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=quOwa58NeHE

Visitors who want to see the flying displays only get a good view of taxiing for takeoff, but the main displays are way way away to the right. Visitors get seats and shade (which is nice) but people are not allowed to wander out into the open air in front which is essential for at least a 270 degree view, if not 360 degrees.

Here is the Saras display taken from this area
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=yqt30aI3Zzw

In my opinion the best place for photographers would be the magenta circle marked "C" - on the other side of the runway from the VIP area. In open air, with no shade. Failing that, the area marked "B" would be second best. Here is a Doordarshan video from Aero India 1996 taken partly from area B (and from the VIP area)

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=pRY1aWw4lgY

Finally - there is a field across the road at the opposite end of the runway - an area marked "A" about 3 kilometers from area B. This is good for takeoffs and some flying displays. This might be teh easiest to manage in terms of security.

Let the authorities charge Rs 2000 for photography rights from area C, Rs 1000 from area B and Rs 500 from area A. But give enthusiasts a place to freak out and take pictures of planes. After which they can cool off gawking at the wimmens.
namit k
BRFite

Post by namit k »

600 arms firms to take part in Aero India-'09
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Indi ... 353830.cms
NEW DELHI: With India looking to induct a large number of aircraft, helicopters and UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) in the coming years, almost 600 armament companies are expected to take part in the Aero India-2009 to be held in Bangalore next February.

"Around 330 companies from 50 countries and 270 firms from India are likely to take part in this 7th edition of the biennial international aerospace exposition," said a defence ministry official on Monday.

"Nearly 100 different types of aircraft, both civil and military, will be on display," he added, after the first meeting of the apex committee for Aero India-2009, which was chaired by defence minister A K Antony.

The Centre will be spending around Rs 20 crore to augment the infrastructure in and around the Yelahanka air force station at Bangalore for the airshow. International aviation majors ranging from Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Sikorsky and BAE Systems to Sukhoi, Embraer, Bombardier and SAAB will all be making a beeline for Aero India-2009 to hawk their wares.

The mother of all defence contracts is, of course, going to be the purchase of 126 multi-role fighters for IAF at a cost of $10.4 billion.

The contenders in this race are — Russian MiG-35, French Rafale, Swedish JAS-39 Gripen, Eurofighter Typhoon and, of course, the American F/A-18 "Super Hornets" and F-16 "Falcons". Then, of course, India is in the market to acquire as many as 700 helicopters for the armed forces.
sure the US will be showcasing its might , could see f18 first time on public display in India, just waiting excited :mrgreen:
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

namit k wrote:
sure the US will be showcasing its might , could see f18 first time on public display in India, just waiting excited :mrgreen:

the F18 was present - both flying & static display during AeroIndia-07.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

namit k wrote: could see f18 first time on public display in India, just waiting excited :mrgreen:
Huh? :shock:

Where have you been Rip Van Winkle?
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=JsoEKaYCFRo
namit k
BRFite

Post by namit k »

rakall wrote:
namit k wrote:

the F18 was present - both flying & static display during AeroIndia-07.
oops , sad to miss it, about f16 i knew.
may be i missed that news bcoz of mig-35 glitter 8)
this time good multimedia coverage should be here in this thread of each and every AC that visits aero.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Philip wrote:Kersiji,what about the poor bosses of the PSUs,ministries and their salivating at the "Natashas" and "Susies" of the show? They too must have their fun,No? I seriously suggest that BR has a competiton for the most beautiful "babe of the show" of the exhibitors.I volunteer to be one of the judges and will sponsor a special package for the winning babe.He!he!He!
Hey come on I too liked the Natashas and Susies. Not to forget the ladies (wo)manning the Embraer Stall !!!!
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Hey Shiv,

many person like me would be coming for maybe 1 or 2 or 3 days. can you not declare the date of our BR meet so that we can do our bookings. Train bookings are little difficult these days. So please fix the BR meeting date so that we lesser mortals can do our bookings well in advance.

Kersi
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

shiv wrote:

:rotfl: Nicely put :rotfl:

Btw Shiv we should have a humour section for the BR annual. :D

Hmmm and a section on which stall has the best babe :mrgreen: i am sure we ll have a lot of volunteers to do the reconnaissance.
anirbanbanerjee
BRFite -Trainee

Post by anirbanbanerjee »

These are the timing mentioned for Aero India.

Show Timings

Trade Days : February 11, 2009 : 1300 Hrs - 1700 Hrs
February 12-15, 2009 : 1000 Hrs - 1700 Hrs

General Public : February 15, 2009 : 1400 Hrs - 1700 Hrs
Does this mean that we the aam admi get to see the beauties(flying versions and the 2 legged ones) only on February 15, 2009 ? :((
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

kit wrote: Hmmm and a section on which stall has the best babe :mrgreen: i am sure we ll have a lot of volunteers to do the reconnaissance.
Will you also be the one? :D
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

Making this a Sticky.

Waise, there will also be an Iron Maiden concert in Bangalore on Feb 15. So the we can continue hearing the screeches of Iron Maidens for 4 days.... :P

\m/ Up the irons! \m/
anirbanbanerjee
BRFite -Trainee

Post by anirbanbanerjee »

Nitesh
Post subject: Re: Aero India 2009

kit wrote:
Hmmm and a section on which stall has the best babe i am sure we ll have a lot of volunteers to do the reconnaissance.

Will you also be the one?

I will love to be one of them. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Is it possible to get ticket for the 1st three days of AI 09 ?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Austin wrote:Is it possible to get ticket for the 1st three days of AI 09 ?
You will need 3 tickets
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

shiv wrote:
You will need 3 tickets
I hope that we can book tickets on line. Previously it was a real pain getting tickets. The website seems to be under construction.

Kersi
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Kersi D wrote:
shiv wrote: You will need 3 tickets
I hope that we can book tickets on line. Previously it was a real pain getting tickets. The website seems to be under construction.

Kersi
Last time besides the CanaraBanks, they had a counter in ITPL.. If they do the same this year - I can volunteer to buy tickets for a few guys (prepaid, ofcourse)...

I am planning to attend on all 3days except Wednesday & Sunday (unless some unforeseen circumstances materialise).. I will drive from whitefield-KRPuram-Hebbal-Yelahanka.. I might have space for 2guys..

Also.. closer to AI09 we might start populating this thread with questions.. so that we can make a list of questions and "try to get" answers from folks at stalls.. though my past experience is that some of the info we get may not actually holdout 2years down the line.. ForEx: GTRE info has always been wrong.. Last year a few guys at HAL stall didnot even know what CAT was.. On the other hand - BEL, BDL, Brahmos, Akash, ADE stalls had real good people who shared some very good info..
Anshul
BRFite

Post by Anshul »

Aero India Essentials:-

1.Sun Screen
2.Water Bottles
3.Camera/Camcorder
4.Cap/Umbrella
5.Rucksack
6.Spare Batteries/Charger
7.No girlfriends/wives....they hinder mobility and babe watching.
8.Try and find some long lost IAF relatives in AFS Yelahanka..they make great chicken biryani at the Ofiicers Mess.
bagha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bagha »

Hi,
I will definitely be going to AI '09 with a photographer friend. And between the two of us there will be two DSLRs and two big white lenses.
Reading this post, I realised that some spots are better than others. While I cannot vouch for my friend, I would be delighted to make available all my photos to BR.
It would also be great to meet up with some BR Jingoes.

If there is a plan firming up around meeting up or sharing work, then I would like to pitch in. Meanwhile I will keep lurking.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Anshul wrote:Aero India Essentials:-

1.Sun Screen
2.Water Bottles
3.Camera/Camcorder
4.Cap/Umbrella
5.Rucksack
8.Try and find some long lost IAF relatives in AFS Yelahanka..they make great chicken biryani at the Ofiicers Mess.
Also required: Stamina and the ability to stay on one's feet for hours on end, walking many kilometers. Meals in the upmarket messes cost hundreds, The cheaper ones are crowded.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

shiv wrote:
You will need 3 tickets
Have they started distributing the tickets for AeroIndia ?
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Hit the nail there.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

shiv wrote:
Anshul wrote:Aero India Essentials:-

1.Sun Screen
2.Water Bottles
3.Camera/Camcorder
4.Cap/Umbrella
5.Rucksack
Also required: Stamina and the ability to stay on one's feet for hours on end, walking many kilometers. Meals in the upmarket messes cost hundreds, The cheaper ones are crowded.
One more advise from my previous 2 pilgrimage to AeroIndia is to carry in the rucksack a a dozon chocolate/energy bars, because the food court arrangement in Aero India is worse than the railway platform in BaraBanki/UP, both in terms of buying the food and eating the food.

Wide brimmed cap will be extra useful.

And for aerial photography if you do not have a camara with very fast focussing capabeility, then consider putting your camara in manual mode and lock the focus on infinity. Your camara images and click response time will be far superior. Also consider setting your camara in multi exposure mode, so that as the aircrafts zoom by you dont have to be in a delimme on when to click (just take 5 contineous shot for every click)

Many camera's nowdays have external power input capability, so instead fo carrying 5 spare battery packs it is easier to carry just one battery and carry in pocket an external battery pack using ordinary cells to power the camara by cable connector. I did that last time where I had a regular 8 cell AA battery holder to which I soldered a linear regulator chip that gave a steady 7.2Volts to the camera, That kept the camara on and active for the whole day took only one set of AAsize NiMH cells. Try that gig with stocking spare original brand camera battries and you will likely pay for cost of the camera for the batteries!!.

I will have to miss this Aero India, but I certainyl look forward to more BRFites joining this Nationalistic Kafila.
Enjoy.
pradeepe
BRFite
Location: Our culture is different and we cannot live together - who said that?

Post by pradeepe »

Was in BLR yesterday and saw what seemed to be a very nice rehearsal for AeroIndia 2009 by the Surya Kirans. Very cool! Much of the flying was around SE bangalore.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

pradeepe wrote:Was in BLR yesterday and saw what seemed to be a very nice rehearsal for AeroIndia 2009 by the Surya Kirans. Very cool! Much of the flying was around SE bangalore.
It wasnt for Aero-India...
Today was HAL day and entire HAL staff+family had a mini aero-show arranged just for their benefit at old Blore airport( a.k.a HAL airport)
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Yours truly had the opportunity to witness the entire event.The only benefit of working close to Golf Course. Slipped from the office and headed for Wind tunnel road to catch a glimpse and ended up there for good hour+. The Sarang Team was awesome followed by Hawk, LCA and SKAT. Hawk did some amazing fast and tight turns. More like a sports car been put through its paces. The noise from the LACA engines was really soothing for this Jingo's ears. SKAT were there best as usual but truncated affair.