AeroIndia 2011

pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Re: AeroIndia 2011

Post by pgbhat »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:Uploaded a new LCH image ✈ http://vishal.jolapara.in/2011/02/10/lch/
Wonderful. 8)
Singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Singh »

Found soemtime atlast to transfer AeroIndia pics.... It's taking ages to uploaded on BR though http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/Aer ... India2011/
Faster at Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... =678916330
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Move afoot to delink IAF from Aero India
There is a move in the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to delink the Indian Air Force (IAF) from Aero India and bring it under civilian control, besides shifting the biennial flagship air show outside Bangalore so that the schedule of normal commercial flights are not disturbed.

This could be the sight in Mysore skies two years later. dh file photoWhile MoD bureaurcrats discussed the matter informally in the course of the five-day Aero India 2011 held at the IAF’s Yelahanka airbase, defence sources familiar with the nascent proposal said some officials were of the opinion that the IAF’s control over the show be eased gradually. This would entail greater civilian control over the show in the future.

Some defence officers see in such a move the first step in keeping the IAF out of the scene, which could happen the next time Aero India is hosted, an MoD source in Delhi told Deccan Herald over the phone.

The Defence Exhibitions Organisation, under the Department of Defence Production, which has been incharge of organising the event, is said to have taken the matter seriously and had “put some thought” behind it even before this year’s event, which was tainted by allegations that Wing Commander A K Thakur, against whom the IAF has initiated a Court of Inquiry (CoI) here, had taken bribes to allot favourable positions for foreign firms at the display area.

Unlike the previous editions, civil aircraft occupied chunk of the place at Aero India 2011, with only 47 per cent of the aircraft that were displayed event being military.

And this, Defence Exhibition Organisation Joint Director Wing Commander M D Singh had said at that time, was a welcome sign. “It has been a conscious effort by the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to change the image of the show. Therefore, we have even changed the theme from ‘Aerospace & Defence Show’, to ‘Civil, Aerospace and Defence Show’,” he had said, hinting that the future of the show will depend of the civil aircraft business, which is booming.

Also, with the multi-billion dollar medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA), more or less through, the IAF, sources said, might not have anything to take away from the show and that, thereby, it is ideal it has nothing to do with the show.

Keeping in mind the disturbances caused to commercial flights during the last edition concluded February 13, 2010, (with the Bangalore International Airport now operational) and there being no military (IAF also) presence in Mysore, the ninth edition of the show, sources said, might be held there.

Although they stated that the matter of deciding on where to host the next show has not even reached the drawing boards in MoD, they said that Mysore’s name has come up in discussions more than once.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Unlikely IMO

Mysore has a runway length of 1300 meters or so and foreign aerospace companies would be hard put to make displays there. In nay case all previous editions of the show before MRCA contenders had IAF aircraft onlee and HAL aircraft.
rad
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rad »

I saw a dummy of an airlaunched glide bomb in aero india and the company which was promoting it was called basant industries , I was more than happy to see it , but unfortunately there does not seem to be any pic or discussion about it . Could anybody post a pic and give a write up on it if they have further info. It looked more like a chinese ws-6 glide bomb and looked sleek and well made and had anhederal wings.

rad
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

basant aerospace
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

One of my Favorite shot of the LCH (HIGH-RES) ✈ http://www.airliners.net/photo/1881293/L/
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

lectures from the Technology Innovation & Planning session

Fully autonomous UAV operations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScQYjVXQp8k

Dr. A Sivathanu Pillai's lecture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD9EU6Ikoy8

Flight-testing the SAAB Gripen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXKvNe2VWt4

Germany's ex-Air Chief
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_mnenZQifs
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

rad wrote:I saw a dummy of an airlaunched glide bomb in aero india and the company which was promoting it was called basant industries , I was more than happy to see it , but unfortunately there does not seem to be any pic or discussion about it . Could anybody post a pic and give a write up on it if they have further info. It looked more like a chinese ws-6 glide bomb and looked sleek and well made and had anhederal wings.

rad
I thought "SWAK" meant "sealed with a kiss" which would be appropriate but apparently it is "smart wing adapter kit"-- a strap-on GPS glide system for a dumb bomb.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Business oriented image for Aero India is a good sign.

But if this step was taken because Mr. Clean found few rotten tomatoes in IAF then that's not acceptable.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

@Victor

It is S.W.A.K. indeed. Sealed With A Kill!
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Gallery Updated

Added to Indoor Exhibit
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Marten wrote:Kakarat, your pics and albums are a wonderful resource. Thank you for so meticulously following every pavilion for the benefit of all of us.
Till now even I was just a receiver in BR & Now trying to give what I can so no need to Thank me for this, any way you are welcome

More Aero India 2011 pictures and info on its way
rad
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rad »

Thanks victor,
A write up anybody ?, obviously it has not been designed in India ,as they would have to have wind tunnel access
and I dont remember any body designing it in india , it would take at least 5 years .

where did the tech come from ?

rad
rad
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rad »

I think i got some info for my question on the net

"Air Vice Marshal A Agrawal (retired), a director of Basant Aerospace, told Jane's that he saw the SWAK on display in Singapore and realised it would meet an emerging Indian Air Force requirement for a stand-off precision guided munition (PGM). Agrawal entered into a "dialogue" with PST that resulted in Basant being awarded the full marketing rights for the SWAK across Asia.

Agrawal added that ST Kinetic's involvement has fallen into abeyance as a result. Basant Aerospace says it has been cleared to offer SWAK as a weapons option for all Western-built combat aircraft in the region.

SWAK is a modular wing and tail kit that gives an autonomous, all-weather stand-off capability to regular Mk 82 (500 lb) and Mk 83 (1,000 lb) 'dumb' bombs. Using an embedded INS/GPS navigation system, a bomb fitted with the SWAK has a CEP accuracy of 60 m using standard GPS and 15 m if a military-grade signal is available. Pop-out wings give the bomb a maximum gliding range of between 75 and 80 km.

Basant Aerospace says the system is compatible with Russia's GLONASS satellite navigation system and that a combined GPS/GLONASS receiver could easily be fitted.

When discussing the SWAK programme in 2010, ST Kinetics officials said that airborne trials and drop tests had already been conducted in the US by PST. Basant Aerospace says that the SWAK system is ready for production at its Gurgaon facility in New Delhi. The company says it will initially build all the mechanical components while importing the GPS/INS system from the US. Basant's ultimate aim is to be able to produce 100 per cent of the required components in India.

Asked about the requirements and procurements process in India for such a weapon, Agrawal said there was high-level approval for such a programme and that a request for proposals (RfP) would be issued soon. "We are discussing numbers right now with the Indian Air Force," he replied. "The IAF has said 'yes, we need it', up to three-star level. Now we are just doing the [procurement] process. It has to be a competitive thing."

Agrawal added that the only competitor he foresaw was Lockheed Martin's LongShot and that "Lockheed Martin cannot compete with me on price."

The timeline for the RfP remains unclear, however. "We know an RfP is coming," Agrawal said. "But this is India ... who knows when a decision will be made."

rad
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

Where exactly was the Rafale at Aero India 2011 ? I don't seem to recall.All this controversy around its vantage position. Where was it ?
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

^^ I dont think there was a Rafale on Static display.

Next-up Tejas KH2004 > http://vishal.jolapara.in/2011/02/16/hal-tejas/
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Rad, if he can hook up a camera with the guidance it then becomes a very precise strike weapon. Glad he could interest IAF for orders.

BTW, in early 90s this type of kit was one of the contenders for a USAF need. It became the JDAm.
Aiel
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Aiel »

aniket wrote:Where exactly was the Rafale at Aero India 2011 ? I don't seem to recall.All this controversy around its vantage position. Where was it ?
There were no Rafale parked visible to the public at AI2011. They were parked in front of the chalets along with a few F16s, F18s and Typhoons, which were doing the flying during the show. The only MMRCA contenders parked in front of the public were the Gripen (parked right in front with a ladder leading to the cockpit and frequent visitors coming along to see it), the F16 (beside the Gripen, but was left alone with nobody around it) and the Typhoon (parked in solitary, with the public between it and the aircraft display area and with a ladder leading to the cockpit and frequent visitors coming along to see it).
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

Thanks