Aero India 2013

Zynda
BRF Oldie

Re: Aero India 2013

Post by Zynda »

Pyogi,
That Rambha pic is awesome...thx for gr8 photographs.

I reckon that your photographic equipment is rental?
neeraj
BRFite

Post by neeraj »

^^^^^^^
Is the tail cone a rear facing radar?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

neeraj wrote:^^^^^^^
Is the tail cone a rear facing radar?
no
neeraj
BRFite

Post by neeraj »

Thanks and if I may indulge you to tell what it is.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

^^It houses the drag chute used to slow down the aircraft after landing.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

lectures from the 'Electronic Warfare' session

Improving Electronic Warfare [EW] Capabilities Through Real-Time Data Links Among Military Platforms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmUgll6Jd1A

lady from DARE - Novel Method For Classification Of Point Targets In Infrared Image Sequences
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZw9xRsqLlk

Future Airborne Electronic Warfare [EW] Systems
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuJYqD4jfvw

British Common Defensive Aids System [CDAS] Architecture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bKhRIp1O5o
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

My Latest Photo:

Wing Commander Pradeep Batra taking-off in IAF's Brand New Embraer 145 AEW&C ► [HI RES] http://www.airliners.net/photo/2230277/L/

I was fortunate to be introduced to him while walking out for lunch with Sanjay Simha
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:My Latest Photo:

Wing Commander Pradeep Batra taking-off in IAF's Brand New Embraer 145 AEW&C ► [HI RES] http://www.airliners.net/photo/2230277/L/

I was fortunate to be introduced to him while walking out for lunch with Sanjay Simha
is this the second frame?
pyogi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pyogi »

Army Aviation in Action!
Check out the Armed Commando On the edge of the open HAL-Dhruv / ALH
Jai Hind!

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

pyogi wrote:Army Aviation in Action!
Check out the Armed Commando On the edge of the open HAL-Dhruv / ALH
Jai Hind!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3927_o.jpg
Pyogi your photos are simply breathtaking. If I was 30 years younger I would have scrambled to try and get the hardware you use - but its not just the hardware. It's the photographer. I have had access to some camera or other for over 50 years but I have and have followed military aviation for 50 years but your images this year are a special treat.

It is, IMO a very wise decision to have your logo right across the middle. Even this image you posted can be enlarged to twice its size with little loss of beauty and remember that old codgers (like me and others) can't see as well as young people so what looks like low-res to you is perfectly usable for decrepit half blind old fuddy duddies.
pyogi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pyogi »

shiv wrote: It is, IMO a very wise decision to have your logo right across the middle. Even this image you posted can be enlarged to twice its size with little loss of beauty and remember that old codgers (like me and others) can't see as well as young people so what looks like low-res to you is perfectly usable for decrepit half blind old fuddy duddies.
Shiv sir, Thanks to google image search i was able to trace some of my images ... I noticed chaps re-using my images (screenshots) which have been put up in some other defence forums. :-) Am happy the poster at least links back to my site.

Happy to read your comments sir
Jai Hind!
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Beautiful pic there pyogi... Thank you. With the commando in the back, sitting there so casually, the whole thing looks lethal...
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Pyogi-ji; how do you persuade the helis to turn off their rotors and Sukohis to stand still in the air and pose for you?

:wink:
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Amazing photos Praveen! Hats off! Glad to see so many nice photographs from photographers like you, Vishal etc.
shiv wrote: Pyogi your photos are simply breathtaking. If I was 30 years younger I would have scrambled to try and get the hardware you use - but its not just the hardware. It's the photographer. I have had access to some camera or other for over 50 years but I have and have followed military aviation for 50 years but your images this year are a special treat.
Totally OT, but still my 2np. Regarding the bold part, the first question many people ask the photographer when they see a good photo is "nice, what camera/equipment do you use". Once read somewhere which said that questions like that are like say, eating a good dinner and then asking the chef "the food is very tasty, what utensils do you use?" . :mrgreen:
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Not completely true, putnanja sir..
In photography, gear also matters.. The best photographs come from the person who knows how to extract the best from his gear and there lies the talent of the photographer.. In this case, while there were many folks in AI-13, myself included, who owned an entry level to mid-end DSLR and a pretty decent zoom lens to go with it, not many could get a cracking shot like pyogi sir.. The reason- he was using a much longer 500mm lens, while most of us were on 250-300mm lens..
I am not saying that the gear deserves all the accolades for the picture but it plays a very major part and I am sure even pyogi saar will agree with me..
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Pyogi saan,
Love the heat haze around the engine exhaust.. I don't believe anyone has ever taken a shot which shows the hot exhaust of the heli engine..
pyogi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pyogi »

@JE Menon sir, thank you! Yes It does look cool and the commando was looking at me taking the picture

@Sanku, sir its ok to have the SU30's posing but honestly freezing rotors of a prop aircraft or chopper is not make the best shot in aviation photography terms.
In this case i would take exception as I wanted detail of the person in the chopper.
Ways to make the aircraft pose for you.. well it comes with practice, you need to track the aircraft, pan click, and use a fairly higher shutter speed to freeze the action.

@putnanja -avare... bang on target! I have faced this question so many times. Put it the other way if you gave Shakespeare a different pen would it affect what he wrote?

@Bala Vignesh I would not completely agree with you. Every equipment has its limitations and even a high end camera / lens can give poor results if the settings are wrong! The converse is very much true. Proof - I think you are aware of the other photographer friend (Praneeth) who used a D90 with a entry level 70-300 Lens and has been posting great images...
In 2011 I used a D90, some of the images were quite satisfying.
With the Higher end camera & Lenses you go well beyond the image quality of the moderate DSLR cameras, provided you use it with full knowledge.
Longer lenses just get a better magnification of the subject, but it has its downside. Even if its a 6000$ Lens, its heavy (~4-5Kg) and if you cant handle it you will get a bad shot.

@Bala -- heat haze hey I love the heat haze it makes my picture all the time ... it tells you the engines were hot its got life and art :-)

Here is the gallery of random Chopper pictures which i just processed CLICK-->http://bit.ly/YP0er8
CLICK-->http://bit.ly/YP0er8
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Pyogi, while some might debate your choice of post processing techniques in photography circles, to jingos like me you are simply a cut above the rest.

You add the glory to touching the sky with glory.

Many thanks for sharing your work on this forum with us.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

not many camera works can get some of the in-flight shots you have taken.. pyogi. you have talent!

could you tell us at what angle/place you took that rambha shot? any guess as to the speed of the aircraft when you took that shot?
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

My Latest Photo:

NauSena's Veteran Test Pilot Commodore Jaideep Avinash Maolankar going airborne for his Fast & Furious 7 minute Tejas flight display ► http://www.airliners.net/photo/2231439/L/
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Sanku wrote:Pyogi-ji; how do you persuade the helis to turn off their rotors and Sukohis to stand still in the air and pose for you?

:wink:
very close.. the helo blade still needs delta faster shutter to freeze the blade (or was it the focus was intentionally blurred with your advanced techniques ). But, what a great shot pyogi.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Gurus - Can angle of attack be deduced from the above pic of Vishal ji, when people speak of increase of AoA does it mean instantaneous AoA because in this pic the angle between the craft and the horizontal line seems to be greater than 24deg
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

suryag wrote:Gurus - Can angle of attack be deduced from the above pic of Vishal ji, when people speak of increase of AoA does it mean instantaneous AoA because in this pic the angle between the craft and the horizontal line seems to be greater than 24deg
AoA is calculated with respect to the direction of airflow over the wing of the aircraft not the horizontal. In that pic, the aircraft is climbing, so the AoA cannot be calculated wrt the horizontal but wrt the actual direction of motion. What you are referring to is the pitch angle, which can be much greater than the AoA.
pyogi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pyogi »

Calling the attention of Aviation Experts, this Sukhoi Su-27 of the Russian Knights seems to have a reddish flame in the afterburners on one of the engines.
Something i have not noticed in the others among the SU 27s or the IAF SU30 MKIs
Please pour your gyan

PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Oh wow... Just amazing.
pyogi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pyogi »

One more for the Tejas Fans out here!
Special Dedication to everybody making this bird fly

Caption "Come Follow me said the Tejas "
Arav
BRFite

Post by Arav »

Beautiful, Awesome....l
pyogi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pyogi »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:

NauSena's Veteran Test Pilot Commodore Jaideep Avinash Maolankar going airborne for his Fast & Furious 7 minute Tejas flight display
My Friend, are you sure it was Mao sir? the light and shadow looks like its a morning shot, I thought he flew the 2nd display flight afternoon-evening.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

pyogi wrote:Calling the attention of Aviation Experts, this Sukhoi Su-27 of the Russian Knights seems to have a reddish flame in the afterburners on one of the engines.
Something i have not noticed in the others among the SU 27s or the IAF SU30 MKIs
Please pour your gyan

http://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/h ... 2811_n.jpg
Great image. But saw a similar exhaust thing on the Iron Fist MKI aerobatic display
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

^^ The area ruling comes out very nicely in that picture.
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

[quote="pyogi"]One more for the Tejas Fans out here!
Special Dedication to everybody making this bird fly

Caption "Come Follow me said the Tejas "
Tejas
:D :D 8) Pyogi ji there are no words to express my thanks to you. Just a simple word of appreciation is not enough for these jhakaas clicks.Especially Tejas and Dhruv :twisted: Many many thanks for giving us such extraordinaire piktures. :)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

possibilities include the al-xx-?? saturn engines are not FADEC. if they have digital controls, then it could be timing issues in terms of coming back to non-afterburner mode for one of the engines that is not synchronized.

the older sukhois burned more fuel and was poor on fuel consumptions. the newer 117s and for the pak-fa, they have gone full digital and optimized the right fuel-air mix. [they did fail once - actually that blew out on an airshow/lucky on the runway]
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

HOLY... smoke!!

This bird exudes pure menace.. from both ends

Thank you, Pyogi!
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

When the fuel is dumped in the AB during reheat combustion is not complete so the colour of the flame will creep towards the red spectrum. I think in this case since Flanker is making turn at a high bank angle(lift from wings is minimal or close to zero) it might be using AB on the lower engine along with the control surfaces(see the rudders) to keep the nose horizontal.
rgsrini
BRFite

Post by rgsrini »

Pyogi,
That is an absolute stunner!!!

Tejas appears to be taking off with a single minded focus to attack! The crisp blue Indian summer sky acts as a perfect background, while the smoke winders provides fluidity to this perfect shot.

You have provided 3 memorable snaps this year. The staring black Rudra, the bottoms up image of Dhruv and now Tejas.

Great job Pyogi! Thanks for sharing it with us.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

rgsrini wrote: You have provided 3 memorable snaps this year. The staring black Rudra, the bottoms up image of Dhruv and now Tejas.
Not to forget my desktop image - a diving Tejas from the front. Thanks also due to Abhishek Singh for a fabulous pic of Dhruv which is a desktop on another machine.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

Orange Cap for the break Parachute :!: :!:
rgsrini
BRFite

Post by rgsrini »

Shiv saar! Absolutely. Mind blowing pictures this year. Thanks to all the budding SDRE professionals.

This Tejas image brought a smile to my face. It is a SDRE machine showcased by a SDRE photographer. The sky is crisp and has no clouds. No wires, tree tops, buildings, no distractions, not even the pilot. It looks like the Tejas is flying on its own. The only thing we can focus on is Tejas, which seems to be in perfect balance. The converging delta wing draws your eye to the tip of the nose.

Eventhough everything is completely frozen, there is an amazing amount of fludity and motion in that picture. Besides the smoke winders, the subtle distortion of tail fin, caused by exhaust fume, is adding to that great sense of motion. The much abused orange cap adds another dimension and visual interest to the image.

Tejas is carrying no weapons. But its intent to attack comes through clearly in this picture.

Jingo kush hua!
pyogi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pyogi »

Dear,
Shiv saar, PratikDas, SaiK saar, Arav, SagarAg, Manish_P, rgsrini,
Thank you all for your kind words... I do feel very honoured :-)
Hat-tip & Bow from one Jingo to the others on-board

Btw the explanation on the SU-27 Engines one burning red other burning blue, coming from a mechanical engineering background has it got anything to do with a lean / rich air-fuel mixture?
These days fancy cars have variable goemetry valves that optimise fuel burn am sure there is some thing like that in these hi tech turbines.

@negi sir i kind of understand your logic but vaguely .. just to mention my observation, this engine was burning red most of the times even when not banking.

Cheers!
Praveen/Photoyogi
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

yup. more fuel required than for the optimal burn.. it is very hard precision combustion science. not all have mastered it in the turbine area.