Aero India 2015

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: Aero India 2015

Post by Rahul M »

many of us were waiting for your snaps. thanks !
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Woohoo!! Thanks.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Some funny moments:

1. Suit-booted guy goes to Boeing stall and asks the TFPE lady (who had been scowling at the heathen around) for a lapel pin. The lady says no, and he says "I am your customer. I demand one". The lady just ignores him, and he walks away with the "I smell crap" face.

2. Another guy comes into our stall and demand a brochure. We try to figure if he is a serious visitor, and he says "I paid Rs 2500 entry fee. I demand a brochure". Not sure what the ex navy colleague told him, but he sure left with a flea in his ear.

3. A guy came in on Sunday, claiming to be from DEAL, and asked the typical "Is Ka Daam Kya" (IKDK as we shortened it). I am pretty darn sure that he must be an unkil of a DEAL guy.

4. On Sunday, saw a number of couples at the air show area, who took thousands of selfies, paying no attention to the planes. (Wait! That is NOT funny. That is USUAL)

5. Several people took photu of the mock-up of our weapon console. It had dummy displays and key panels taken from a video game. I am waiting for blogs describing the great stuff.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

I don't know about you chaps, but I think the Tejas is one of the most aesthetically beautiful fighter jets out there...

Thanks for the photos everyone... Truly they chronicle how things have changed in a few years, and brings pride to jingos who have been out of the motherland for a while, wandering in strange lands...
pyogi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pyogi »

JE Menon wrote:I don't know about you chaps, but I think the Tejas is one of the most aesthetically beautiful fighter jets out there...
I would agree too :-) i love the Delta wing and the profile
https://scontent-nrt.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot ... 0124_o.jpg
Some other random AI15 images here
https://www.facebook.com/AeroIndia2015
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

that's a stunning image pyogi!!! How on earth did you manage to capture the light so well on the canopy!!!???

Speaking of aesthetics, I think I actually like the shaping of the Naval LCA even more, especially with that little bump just below the tailfin where it meets the spine of the jet....
pyogi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pyogi »

JE Menon wrote:that's a stunning image pyogi!!! How on earth did you manage to capture the light so well on the canopy!!!???
Sir, thats a perfectly backlit image, the Sun is behind the a/c the light passes thru the canopy as its glass _/\_
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Beautiful eye candy.
pyogi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pyogi »

The LCH TD2 in command is Rtd Wing Commander Unnikrishnan Pillai of HAL
I titled this as " I am a Lean, Mean Fighting Machine"
rgsrini
BRFite

Post by rgsrini »

pyogi,

I am always partial to the black and white photos. It tells the story in a honest and straightforward way, removing all the clutter and the noise. In this case, the subject, the machine makes it impressive. Your equipment pushes the envelope, and your talent pushes it over the edge.

That is freaking brilliant.... Poster worthy! Jingo kush hua!
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

pyogi - that is one greatest image i have ever seen of LCH. Indeed reminds terminator movies.
sankum
BRFite

Post by sankum »

Maz , you had a question on number of Dornier in service and on order. I had jotted down from a news report

IAF=28+16+14( new order)=58

IN= 20+12(new order being delivered)=32

CG=24

Total=58+32+24=114 nos.

For CG wiki puts at 38 aircraft. The above is few year old news plus present new oder for IAF.
udy
BRFite -Trainee

Post by udy »

For those interested the Aero India Seminar 2015 video page has been updated.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

A great video of Aero India 2015 by Natarajan C, a prolific videographer and railfan with hundreds of videos about the Indian Railways on youtube for those who love trains. This video is clearly shot from outside the venue which was accessed by people with credentials but the quality of this video puts some of the professionals to shame IMO. Enjoy!!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ldev wrote:A great video of Aero India 2015 by Natarajan C, a prolific videographer and railfan with hundreds of videos about the Indian Railways on youtube for those who love trains. This video is clearly shot from outside the venue which was accessed by people with credentials but the quality of this video puts some of the professionals to shame IMO. Enjoy!!
ldev that is a beautiful video indeed. Sadly it has been edited to remove shaky and iffy bits leaving only the good parts so there is almost no complete sequence of a full manoeuvre or series of manoeuvres. This has been the problem with all Aero India videos I have seen this year including a couple of other spectacularly beautiful HD ones. For the aficionado who wants to time a loop or a turn, or even take note of control surface movements (as can be done in some cases) - there is nothing - only a documentary of planes moving about.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Shiv,

The editing is probably a function of the fact that he was outside and being jostled around and there were trees/branches in his way. If you go to his youtube site where he has hundreds of train videos, there are some beautiful long sequences where he has a good vantage point to shoot from. I am sure that if he had access to the inside he would have done a great job at Aero India. Don't know him personally, just follow his youtube site for train vidoes. Maybe you/other jingos in Bangalore with enough clout can get him an invite to shoot from the inside next year!!
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Looking at that amazing LCH "Terminator" shot,an idea struck me.Why can't the LCH have an overwing point for SRAAMs just like the jags? This would release all under stub wing hard points for ordnance,that is if the loading is worked out.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Air International writeup on AeroIndia

Made in India - Piotr Butowski

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 4683356465
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Saumitra - did you get a chance to scan any of those Aero India infoboards? Just curious.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Sorry about the rant but, i can't help mention this.

Airbus just tweeted that (just like almost all major airshows do) Original tweet by Paris Air Show:

Image flying bandar @ 1530

^ its the list of air displays for the day

You cannot believe the kind of silly, stupid & absurd CRAP i got to hear while trying to get this at Yelahanka.
No points for guessing the most common reason (excuse), "Security Issue" :idea:

Rant Over x
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Aero India is run by stuffy government babus who strut about like cocks in heat. If you are in a stall and one of these creatures is passing by there are security guards telling underlings like us visitors to step aside as the shahenshah is coming. Only thing missing is Elephants and bugles. There is an enormous disconnect between public and organizers - but what else to you expect in a country where you cannot stand outside an airport and take pictures. Of course everyone does that surreptitiously. It is exactly like the story of the Emperor with no clothes. As long as everyone pretends that he is clothed all is well except for sniggers. the minute you say openly "Hey your willy is visible" you get your head chopped off.

The thing is that passes to the airshow are priced at punitive levels. You have to be really motivated to go. The way to obtain tickets is a bureaucratic cock up. I understand that there are security issues, but exactly how do airports manage hundreds of millions of total strangers passing through every year but Aero India people get their chaddis in a huge twist for a few hundred thousand . I mean that you are allowed to be a terrorist but if you cannot get any weapon into the premises you can do nothing. So why the big drama? So even after you get in you are constantly breezing in and out with your RFID tagged pass and then told that you can't get a schedule of the flying display because of security reasons. This is like Monty Pythons "Bored pilots" who simply announce "The engine is not on fire" just to scare the crap out of the passengers and have a laugh. I bet the folks who have no clue about the order of flying displays and do not give a shit because they have passes anyway simply get all puffed up and say "Security reasons" when you ask.

Having said that there have been some years when the actual display schedule has been announced and one year when the exact manoeuvre pattern of the LCA was displayed on a board so people could understand the manoeuvres beforehand. But this is patchy.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

^^^ Each bit 100% true. The punitive part is to prevent the hoi polloi from swarming the bijness days I guess.
saumitra_j
BRFite

Post by saumitra_j »

@Karan : No sir, kid and work has kept me away unfortunately. Now that you have reminded me, will do it in the next couple of days!
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Great Post Shiv! Couldn't have said it better :D

Checkout Angad's tweet from RIAT.

We speak regularly & this is an excerpt from one of our conversations (posted here with his permission)
I've had dozens of people first compliment me for coming all the way from India, then immediately ask "how come your guys never send anything over for RIAT?"
And I just shrug and swallow my embarrassment.
He's asked his boss's permission to stick around for Indra Dhanush

They have a RIAT App as your virtual guide, for all the info & assistance u need. We are the world's largest IT powerhouse - or are we? :evil:

You call this http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiting/aircraft an airshow website.