DefExpo 2018 Chennai

Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Re: DefExpo 2018 Chennai

Post by Prem Kumar »

Hi Bob V & others - some questions. Would greatly appreciate any answers:

We are planning to go to DefExpo tomorrow (14th) and Island Grounds (15th)

For DefExpo18 (Thiruvidandhai): it says that the gates open at 8 and the event begins at 9 AM.

a) What time does it make sense to be there - 8 AM or sooner?
b) Can we drive up to the venue and is there parking?
c) Lastly, there was some confusing language about a Rs 100 fee that will be refunded. Do we need to pay via internet before we go? Is there any registration process involved before we reach the venue?
d) Other than Aadhaar card for ID, do we need anything?
e) Are water bottles and backpacks allowed?
f) Is there an age limit for DefExpo18? For naval ships, I know its 5 and above

For Island Grounds on the 15th (ships):

a) Should we take the Aadhaar and a photocopy to leave with them?
b) Are waterbottles, backpacks & phones allowed? I can't imagine walking around all those hours without water
c) Is there parking in Island Grounds? Taking your advice, we will try to be there very early

Thanks a million & apologies if some of these have been answered before!
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

A lot of good pics here.
https://twitter.com/DefencePost
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

@DRDO_India press conference in @DefExpoIndia "We have plans for SAM missiles including a long range missile, guided bombs are also in pipeline. These are some of the future projects planned by us. "
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

More details here - new license production item likely
http://www.defenseworld.net/news/22323/ ... fExpo_2018

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/22318/ ... fExpo_2018

Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) C4ISR, Electronics & IT Authors Signals Radio & Wireless Vishwanath Patil India

Indian Defense Public Sector Undertaking (PSU), Bharat Electronics (BEL) has unveiled new products during the ongoing Defense Exposition, DefExpo 2018.

The PSU unveiled new products include 100 Mbps Radio, Secure Military Wireless Local Area Network, Multi-Function Hand Held Thermal Imager, Long Range Surveillance System, Chemical Agent Monitor (CAM), Multi-Purpose Reflex Weapon Sight, Long Range Surveillance System, Light Weight Composite Shelter, and Mine Field Recording System.

100 Mbps Radio

The 100 Mbps Radio Relay Equipment provides tele-communication link in a hostile Electronic Warfare (EW) environment. It is full duplex communication equipment, designed to operate as a multi-channel radio through line-of-sight radio path, for military use. Various kinds of data interface is provided. The equipment is modular in construction for ease of maintenance and repair.

Secure Military Wireless Local Area Network

Secure Military Wireless LAN (SMWLAN) provides secure Wi-Fi end connectivity to clients in Tactical environment. SMWLAN is designed with customized technology aimed to operate at customized frequency within military band, with hardware based gradable secrecy. It can support Data, Voice and Video communication in Infrastructure, Ad hoc and Repeater modes. It is designed to meet highest SAG grading.

Multi-Function Hand Held Thermal Imager

Multi-Function Hand Held Thermal Imager is a cooled TI based fully integrated day/night sight with in-built eye safe Laser Range Finder, Digital Magnetic Compass, Colour CCD and GPS. This equipment is used for long range target location and surveillance and is capable of giving range, azimuth & elevation and also coordinates of the target. This is very useful for Army and Navy for effective engagement of targets.

Long Range Surveillance System

Long Range Surveillance System is a Long Range Reconnaissance, Observation & Surveillance System jointly developed by IRDE and BEL. The system is capable of day and night operation and in adverse battle field conditions. The system will be extremely useful for Border surveillance and intruder detection. The system is capable of long range detection and identification of targets, their co-ordinates can be passed onto Battery for firing. The system consists of advanced 3rd generation high performance cooled Long Range Thermal imager with 22X Continuous Optical Zoom, high resolution Colour CCD Day Camera with 36X continuous Optical Zoom, Eye Safe LRF, High sensitivity Black and White Spotter Scope camera with Laser See Spot Capability, Advanced Pan and Tilt System with Panoramic Azimuth Pan capability and Ruggedized Control Unit. The Observation System, Network Interface Module and the Control Unit are connected by a cable and video is monitored from the control unit.

Chemical Agent Monitor (CAM)

CAM is a rugged handheld Chemical Agent Monitor (CAM) used mainly to detect, monitor and identify Chemical Warfare Agents in the battlefield and provide audio and visual alarm of a chemical attack. It is capable of detecting all Chemical Warfare Agents (Nerve, Blister, Blood and Choking agents), Toxic Industrials Chemical (TICs) and Toxic Industrial Materials (TIMs), simultaneously. The main features of the product includes Quick response time, detects CW agents, TIC & TIMS, latest SAW based technology, OLED Display & Threshold alarm, External Power, Hand Held Application and meets Military requirements.

Multi-Purpose Reflex Weapon Sight

Multi-Purpose Reflex Weapon Sight is an indigenously designed reflex sight which is a parallax free, compact, light-weight and rugged weapon sight for instant target acquisition.

A highly precise reticule, superimposed on the target scene, acts as an aim point for firing. Firer has the advantage of keeping both eyes open during firing with Multi-Purpose Reflex Weapon Sight. To further enhance the capabilities of soldier and weapon during CQB / Night / Low light conditions, Multi-Purpose Reflex Weapon Sight is equipped with in-built Visible (Red) and Invisible (IR) Laser Spot Designators which make Multi-Purpose Reflex Weapon Sight an all-in-one sight for all possible combat operational scenarios.

Light Weight Composite Shelter

BEL Composite Shelter is designed and manufactured using advanced composite technologies having the lowest tare weight in its class with equally good payload carrying capability. The shelter is suitable for use as light-weight system carrier for various defence applications, especially for mountainous and high altitude deployment.

Mine Field Recording System

Mine Field Recording System (MFRS) is employed for mine laying and demining activities. The system plots and records the co-ordinates of any desired point on ground at which the equipment is taken. It has the capability of backing up the data and to record the details like Location both in terms of Latitude-Longitude, details of Mines including type, Self neutralization period/ self-destruction period, memo and notes, etc.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Prem Kumar, there is a huge parking space but it gets filled up quickly. So, be there as early as possible. Parking is right across the entry point. I understand that tomorrow would be free. The crowd could be huge if one goes by today's standards.

Backpacks are allowed. Water is available in plenty at all halls. There are also soft drink vending machines all over the place.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Thanks SSridhar: is there any registration requirement prior to going there? Any fees?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Prem Kumar wrote:Hi Bob V & others - some questions. Would greatly appreciate any answers:

We are planning to go to DefExpo tomorrow (14th) and Island Grounds (15th)

For DefExpo18 (Thiruvidandhai): it says that the gates open at 8 and the event begins at 9 AM.

a) What time does it make sense to be there - 8 AM or sooner?
b) Can we drive up to the venue and is there parking?
c) Lastly, there was some confusing language about a Rs 100 fee that will be refunded. Do we need to pay via internet before we go? Is there any registration process involved before we reach the venue?
d) Other than Aadhaar card for ID, do we need anything?
e) Are water bottles and backpacks allowed?
f) Is there an age limit for DefExpo18? For naval ships, I know its 5 and above

For Island Grounds on the 15th (ships):

a) Should we take the Aadhaar and a photocopy to leave with them?
b) Are waterbottles, backpacks & phones allowed? I can't imagine walking around all those hours without water
c) Is there parking in Island Grounds? Taking your advice, we will try to be there very early

Thanks a million & apologies if some of these have been answered before!
Expo
I would be better you reach as soon as possible
There was enough parking on business days but tahe availability would depend on the crowd
No there is no fee, the ones who have alrady paid will get a refund
Aadhar is more than enough
Yes I was carryng 2 bags on a business day

Ship
Yes you have to submit a copy to the navy
No nothing expect phone is allowed. Water is provided by the navy. mobile photography is also allowed from the port not allowed only on the ship
Yes parking at Island grounds

If you are visithing the expo tomorrow we could meet please mail me kakarat2001atgmail
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Thanks a lot Kakarat! I've sent you email

Are there age restrictions for DefExpo18?
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

There are now some videos uploaded on YouTube by some Defence/Strategic news enthusiasts where they have talked to various exhibitors at the Def expo and provided information about the hardware on display (MBDA and Punj Lloyd/IWI and others). Some good details have been provided. I am not posting here as i am not sure of it is appropriate.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Prem Kumar wrote:...
Go as early as you can. Regarding your questions, my two detailed posts from the previous page should answer most of them. Please let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Vips wrote:There are now some videos uploaded on YouTube by some Defence/Strategic news enthusiasts where they have talked to various exhibitors at the Def expo and provided information about the hardware on display (MBDA and Punj Lloyd/IWI and others). Some good details have been provided. I am not posting here as i am not sure of it is appropriate.
where else would it be appropriate? post here and x post in other relevant threads
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

Defexpo goers, I have a request:

I need pictures of the wall posters with current and future project at the various shipyards. And the models/ info sheets displayed by Reliance Naval Engineering.

Fro example, Cochin shipyard has a poster for the new shallow water ASW craft as well some others. similarly, GRSE has a poster with three new ships. I am sure MDL and GSL laso has some future projects on display.

It will be very helpful to have individual pix of the ships from the GRSE poster.

feel free to send me a PM with the high rez pix.

Looking forward to seeing the pix.

Thanks and enjoy the show.
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

Also, pix of the new P17Afrigate model at MDL and maybe GRSE will be most useful.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

And what do you plan to do with those pictures?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

maz wrote:Defexpo goers, I have a request:

I need pictures of the wall posters with current and future project at the various shipyards. And the models/ info sheets displayed by Reliance Naval Engineering.

Fro example, Cochin shipyard has a poster for the new shallow water ASW craft as well some others. similarly, GRSE has a poster with three new ships. I am sure MDL and GSL laso has some future projects on display.

It will be very helpful to have individual pix of the ships from the GRSE poster.

feel free to send me a PM with the high rez pix.

Looking forward to seeing the pix.

Sir, I alrady have some of what you have and going again today and will try to get the rest. It will take me some time to edit and post them so please mail me or post your mail Id and i will send you the unedited images
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

Karakat, thanks a lot. Really looking forward to seeing these pix. Can you use a google link or dropbox fr the unedited imagery?

Please email me at mmazumdar at hot mail dot com as soon as you see this msg.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

maz wrote:Karakat, thanks a lot. Really looking forward to seeing these pix. Can you use a google link or dropbox fr the unedited imagery?

Please email me at mmazumdar at hot mail dot com as soon as you see this msg.
Sir, I am preparing to start for the expo now, will send you after i reach back
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

Karakat and others with pix and brochures to contribute, lets plan on doing a page on Defexpo for BR. It has been too long since we did this sort of coverage.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

For folks going to the expo, there's a light n sound show at Hall 8. Watch that. The ATAGS is lit by red light and looks effing brilliant.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

shiv wrote:This land should be reserved for such events. Or else real estate will swallow it soon
Absolutely.

This is an excellent location for display by all three services simultaneously. In fact, naval assets can come so close to the shore too.

RM should take steps to acquire this place for more such events.

Stalls are on one side of the ECR and Live Demo on the other side on the beachfront. Lovely. Though it was hot, the sea-breeze made it much better and that is how it would always be.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Added more pictures here
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

arshyam wrote:
Prem Kumar wrote:...
Go as early as you can. Regarding your questions, my two detailed posts from the previous page should answer most of them. Please let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help.
Saar, you said no kids are allowed in the ships? Kids as in smallnkids or all kids in general?
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

SSridhar wrote:
shiv wrote:This land should be reserved for such events. Or else real estate will swallow it soon
TNHRC owns the land so it cannot be bought or sold, it can be developed and rented for commercial purposes though. From road to the waters is all protected land under cez laws, no construction can come up to from 500m to the sea.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Javee wrote:
SSridhar wrote:
TNHRC owns the land so it cannot be bought or sold, it can be developed and rented for commercial purposes though. From road to the waters is all protected land under cez laws, no construction can come up to from 500m to the sea.
In Karnataka I would doubt that the govt can hold on to land as long as there is money to be made by selling it to real estate. That aside - this entire coast was pristine sea-face even if the beaches were not great when I was a student in Pondy in the 70s. We would spend nights anywhere on the beach. Now every square inch is occupied in Pondy. However I must admit that coastal security is more robust now - so the question of wild nights under the stars next to the sea does not arise.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Mentions Russia sells spares to us at 600 to 800% Profit and how they are trying to substitute some products,
Last edited by Vips on 14 Apr 2018 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Javee wrote:
SSridhar wrote:
That's correct, the bolded part. But, you can also see that on the right side of the live demo area, there is already a resort. On the left is an undulating area and I don't know what lies beyond that. I think that the 500 m zone is marked by a link fence in the live demo area.

Some 20 Kms down south from Thiruvidanthai, the DefExpo village, is the likely area for the new naval base.
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

Nice work SSridhar! Thanks for sharing the pix. Interesting kit on display.

Any idea if the army is going to order the 8x8 WhAP or it still undecided?
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

It is normal for spares to marked up very steeply. Local industry has to either build or substitute the critical stuff.
rrao
BRFite

Post by rrao »

Nice to watch LUH performing flying display before PM and other dignitaries as shown on DD news. LCA flying could not be seen, even-though it was announced . Any reason?
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

It flew as part of a flyby with the Su30mki. No acrobatics sadly.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

maz wrote:Nice work SSridhar! Thanks for sharing the pix. Interesting kit on display.

Any idea if the army is going to order the 8x8 WhAP or it still undecided?
maz, thanks.

I went yesterday and most of the stalls were womanned/manned not by anybody who could answer questions. Only in two stalls, did I get some answer. One was, BEML about QR-SAM and the other was Alpha Systems where they were surprised that Prasad & I were mere enthusiasts ! We both wanted to try out the Tejas simulator but, except for the VR experience (it was a twin-seater trainer Tejas), we could not get our hands on the simulator itself. Reserved only for those with some sifarish. Though it was a business visitor day yesterday, it was terribly crowded.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Sridhar many thanks for those images. What was that IIR seeker for. Which mijjile? And what is WhAP?