BRF 15 years. let us look back.

Vikas
BRF Oldie

Re: BRF 15 years. let us look back.

Post by Vikas »

I miss Brihaspati ji and the whole underground team like Panda Army that used to work for him :)
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

vayu tuvan wrote:Im my case, it is a resounding yes. The areas I benefited in (in no particular order)

1. Taking down of Biju Mathews/Angana Chatterji report
IMHO, these Rats and Ratinis are still breathing and not gone away. You can smell them on Twitter , Just put the usual BR filter to see them nakedly telling lies , fishing for impressionable, gullible Indics.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

VikasRaina wrote:Other than Knowledge, one of the best things I have learnt from BRF is - How to construct a argument and how to identify BS when it is peddled in bombastic language.
BRF has also taught me patience when interacting with other folks in my professional life.

Last there is no problem in this world that I can face and not ask advice from Gurus in Nukkad and L&M dhaga.

Is there a way I can find my first post in BRF ?
Looking for this one? :twisted:

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 78#p170478
Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

TADAAAA! :)
Vriksh
BRFite

Post by Vriksh »

My first post from 2003 on the LCA while I was a talib in madrassa. Wasted a lot of time at BR, and it is probably one of the reasons for R2I. Was a poster/lurker before in 1998 but lost those in forum resets. Remember NSN network reportage quite vividly.

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 360#p33360
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

Been here from the beginning, but in my own bubble... BRF has taught me a lot and helped me hone ideas...
Thanks to all who made me fit my bubble better... Sorry to all those that did not like me fit in my bubble ;-)

Never got banned (yet!) so I must have never said anything controversial :mrgreen:
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Did you get any warnings? :wink:
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

oh boy. In my 3 years here. I have a ban and a bunch of warnings. LOL.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Pulikeshi sir weren't you a regular in the old Religion dhaga ? Surviving the tsar bomba there is for sure a great feat. :mrgreen:
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

oh yes, I forgot - did get 5 warnings over a two year period, but I suspect my good looks and charm saved me ;-)

Funny to look back and see how much BRF has changed and indeed how much all of us have changed!

Been a great ride so far... kudos to many unseen and unheard that keep the lights on, esp the admins...
Is BRF more addictive than nicotine? :mrgreen:
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

VikasRaina wrote:I miss Brihaspati ji and the whole underground team like Panda Army that used to work for him :)
Where is he?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

He is twitter as @dikgaj.
Lot of us follow him.

Lets say he is in bigger ocean.
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

Hello everyone, its a pleasure to see so many familiar names here after all this time.

I started visiting shortly before the tests of 1998, but have been around much less in the teens. I thoroughly enjoyed my time here, from the high quality debates, the robust humour, to the absurd conspiracy theories and personal attacks.

BR's real source of excellence, what made it a magnet was being the best source for Indian military history, hardware, and news. What made it special was that it wasn't being done by people trying to make money or shape policy, but yet were serious, thoughtful, curious and eager for debate and discussion. That of course extended to other areas like nuclear, space and the scientific and policy machinery that guided and supported the forces.

As time went by and the range of discussion expanded from military history and hardware to policy to ideological narratives and national or even civilisational identity passions rose in a fundamentally divisive way. The question of what was acceptable speech swung this way and that.

I can't offer any perspective on what BRF has become since I don't spend much time here any more, but I hope that there will always be room for people who know their stuff regardless of their ideological impurity that challenges whatever point of view has come to dominate the board. As long as it is a magnet for people who know, it will be a magnet for people who want to know.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I wish u wouldn't knock Conspiracy Theory - the one shining light of Imaginative Inquiry in a sea of complacency.
Remember the old adage: (funny - I never heard about a New Adage)
Just 'cause yore paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get ya!
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

Johann
" As long as it is a magnet for people who know, it will be a magnet for people who want to know."
That is so beautifully put. Congrats.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

My exposure to BRF was through an article i came across in the "The Week" magazine. It was early days of internet in India and they had published a list of websites they recommended for various interest groups and BRF was right there. Not sure it was either 97 or 98, since then there has been hardly a day i have not been on it.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

In History: 17 Years ago ... when I just joined Brf..
Nesoj
BRFite

Post by Nesoj »

What a Coincidence .... Just this morning was doing a bit of 'monsoon cleaning', when going thro' an old file I had shipped back to India on retirement, I come across a printout of Rakesh Koshy's New Year message for 1999, listing the growth during the year, what BR had achieved in 18 months and his thanks to the the major contributors of those days. (well in those days I used to take hardcopy backups of whatever I felt important)

For records sake ... I am listing the names of those oldies listed in that post....

Seetal Ramesh Patel ....... Big Boss & moneybags
Rupak Chattopadhyay .... BR Monitor
Sachin P Keshavavan ..... co-webmaster
PVS Jagan Mohan .... Air Force
LNS (Subramanium) .... IPKF & Battles section
Mazumdar .... naval pics for site
Ramana, Philip et al ..... all rounders
Sukumar, Babui, Sanjay Badri-Maharaj et al .... ORBAT
Faheem .... Mushy posts
Sunil Sainis, Jayji & Q Quincy ... Corps & Div Analysis
Narayanan .... Mr Hilarious
Rikhye ....
Shiv ... the 'Fearless Admin' ...
Jaime, Gayatri & Mudy .. that female touch

I used to, in those days, go under the tag Jayji ... but lost it along with my posts during some software upgrade ... later registered under the current tag but just a lurker (once or twice a month).

BR has changed a lot .... too much 'in your face' nationalism for my liking ... or is it just my age speaking.
KBDagha
BRFite

Post by KBDagha »

I have been lurking since long long time. I first came across BR through a show on Channel V or some other channel (Can't recollect) where they were talking about interesting Indian sites. They also had interview with some of the web masters.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

i have been an avid BRFITES for last 8 years so.. Off-late getting into fight with my wife on how much time I am spendi here !
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

>> Off-late getting into fight with my wife on how much time I am spendi here !

that too is a hoary tradition of sorts on BR :D
member_23365
BRFite

Post by member_23365 »

I have come across BRF while looking for some info about Tejas(LCA) back in 2006-7. Then started to follow discussions about Indian Army and Paki thread. Remained a lurker for 5-6 years. Signed up to post a comment on Siachen thread since it was becoming unbearable when posters @ BRF were thinking of making it piss park.
Used to follow discussion religiously everyday about LCA but has lost interest in last couple of years because on never ending postponing of something or other.
After signing up came to know about GDF thread and the marathon Modi thread that I consider is the ultimate knowledge house of behind the scene Indian politics .
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

vayu tuvan wrote:For lulz I miss poster raju and his outlandish CTs. During 26/11 the man came up with the mist unlikely scenario of the US amby being carried away by four SS people as he refused to leave a restaurant.
I agree with you and hope that the humorous postor is reinstated with full honors. :wink:
BajKhedawal
BRFite

Post by BajKhedawal »

Stumbled upon BRF when I moved to Kanukistan in '97, remember shivering cold December nights spent taking warmth from this desi forums. I think my first account got purged for some reason or other; although I continued to browse/lurk, may be i rejoined with current handle in 2002 or 2005 but the joining date says something else.

Many posters had diff handles over the years Vaman, N3, Nayak
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

I was a lurker from 1997 to 2001 (got interested thru the Arjun discussions) and joined as a member after Sept 11
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Last posts of Alok_N was during 2007. Did he take any other avatar after his initial two?
shyamoo
BRFite

Post by shyamoo »

I was introduced to brf by a collegue of mine back in 2006 or so. The guy that introduced me was a malayali guy who was born and brought up in the US. He was a Christian guy but was deeply interested in Bharateeya history and he got married to a gori in a traditional Hindu marriage. He wanted to visit India and spend a few years getting to know more about the country.

Before brf, I was to some extent a Macaulay putra. Although not the rabid kind. I'm not a very religious guy but I'm a nationalist and pro bjp.

Prior to brf, I considered myself to be knowledgable about a lot of things. But now realize that much of it was rather shallow.

Some of the folks that I like:
Ramana garu: always cool and pithy
Singha: fantastic writing skills
Shiv Saar: piskology. Reminds me of an old man that I know. Didn't suffer fools.
Rudradev: knowledge of US policy
Ub/enquoob/n^3, brihaspathi,Karan,shreeman, maitya et al.

Btw, where is Sanku these days. Didn't visit brf for a few months and he is no where to be found!
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

My interest was from 2003 onwards. Somehow was afraid due to
1)new to internet
2) log in id did not know ,
3) had no work email other than yahoo
4) afraid to post . Probably one of the most serious issues at that time, :eek: also now but less so.

Used to read a lot of brf gyaan and show off with friends with my new found knowledge :D

Was towards pinko side later turned India bhakth.
Learnt to criticise boldly and be proud of my culture and heritage.

This has benefitted me immensely personal and work life.
Of course has created friction with shq friends etc .
But life is more spicier, people respect me for what I stand.

------------------------

What forced me to join as a brfite was the 28 nov attacks in Mumbai. My sha usmle exam was next day. She was trying to read for the exam, I was busy on brf literally crying sweating seeing messages fly with CNN switched on TV.
Shq was one side crying about India other side crying for my lack of sympathy and help her with the exam.
In my emotions had screamed at her asking to do whatever she wants to do. She can write exam if she wants again and what not.
Shq seemed shell shocked.

Anyway my attempts at log in on that day was a fiasco. I accidentally said I was less than 12 years or whatever was mentioned. Got logged out. :lol:
Took another month to log in with the current id.
Seems to have come a long way since that time.
Shq seems to have made peace with me. Thankfully. :D

Hope to learn and influence more people outside brf in a positive way.
Playing for long BRF innings
Nandu
BRF Oldie

Post by Nandu »

My profile says joined 2002, but I know I have been on the site since before pokhran II. Remember the discussions surrounding that very well.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Had I known I would have pointed this forum to my dad who was against India going nuclear. Probably he Would have reevaluated after margin but passed away just a tad before.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

I have been visiting BRF since final years of grad school...well before Pokharan...but even mine says joined 2002. The 1970 date is the most ridiculous one, IMO.
member_29172
BRFite

Post by member_29172 »

I've been lurking since 2005, when I was in 10th standard. Hopped from one defence forum to another both Indian and non-Indian till I came across this forum. The format back then was blue colored if I am not mistaken, it was fairly confusing at first and flame wars between sickulars, modernist macaulites , dhimmis and non-dhimmis was quite common and annoying.

I was mostly busy in academics so I never really made an account, plus lurking was more fun than posting.
As a forum, it has definitely opened my eyes to why things are the way they are in India, the sheer number of anti-Indians that have entrenched all sectors of society is terrifying and depressing. Earlier I used to think that most of us just don't care or are too selfish to care about the larger society but that doesn't seem to be the case. The media definitely highlights only the bad aspects while doesn't even bother to mention the good about army, scientists, youngsters, politicians or anything else. All we get is poor India, hungry India, all men are rapists kind of gems.

This forum also introduced me to other personalities that actually are interested in real India, away from the nehruvian idea of india types where India suddenly came into being after 1947, everything else before that from antiquity being irrelevant and a mere imagination of Hindu nationalist.

It's mind boggling to think the kind of shit that has been rammed through our throats in our educational books and media and how blatantly the JNU brigade has lied to their own kith and kind for a few bucks. I can see another horde of jaichands selling my country to outsiders, it's happening right in front of my own eyes and yet I can't do much without it.

I thank the kind souls who started this forum because this is the real voice of India and Indians, who think for themselves, who think of solutions instead of bitching about problems. I also think that more such forums are required where knowledgeable folks can congregate to share their knowledge and educate a new breed of Indians thoroughly brainwashed by JNU, the media and their allies.

Happy to be a new member, nice to meet all of you.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Welcome to BRF, Alka_P
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

back in 2004, armed with knowledge from brf, i forcefully argued with a bunch of friends that osama probably lives in musharraf basement. i was roundly ridiculed and pooh poohed by FOB PIGS who totally bought into the massa narratives...
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Alka_P - Welcome to BRF