BRFite

Re: Shri Manohar Parrikar condolence thread

Post by manju »

Om Shanti
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

This is highly frustrating for centuries, patriotic souls have had short lives, while the most despicable and vile creatures have lived for 90+. Looks like bharat is cursed with Raghu maha dasa forever.
Rupesh
BRFite

Post by Rupesh »

Deeply sadened by the passing of Sri Parrikerji. Great loss for the nation.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Really really sad to see Manohar Parrikar ji's soul departing untimely. I was praying, like countless other Indians, for his speedy recovery and had a faint hope that he may come back as RM post 2019 elections. Alas. India just lost a very upright and efficient Politician. I don't think I need to emphasise the importance of Manohar Parrikar's work at MoD in his short stint, on BRF at least. His contribution to programs like LCA, Artillery acquisition and structural changes in Defense acquisition process through DPP, will keep reverberating on Indian Defense scene for decades. May his soul attain Moksha and be united with Parmatma. His soul deserves to rest in peace eternally after this selfless life. Om Shanti...!!
Jits
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Jits »

My heart felt condolences for Manohar Parrikar ji. He was undoubtedly the best defence minister India ever had, his presence at MOD made a moribund ministry to work. He should have remained as defence minister for full term to undertake the vast reforms defence ministry urgently needs. The surgical strikes conducted in mayanmar and Pakistan during his reign will always be remembered to have brought India out of strategic constraints. The current airstrikes in response to pulwama were made possible because of unshackling of those mental blocks.
May god give peace to his soul and RIP sir.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

I came to know Manohar ji only during his RM tenure. His working style had clear marking of his engineering background, which influence his thought process
- to see problems as opportunities
- to resolve complex problem with simpler solutions
- his trust in incremental and iterative development
- failures encourages him to improve

Although, he never felt at home in Delhi power corridors. God may have given him long and healthy life to improve India!! Om Shanti ... Manohar ji!!
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

A man who I truly admired as RM, perhaps the most capable of them all. A man who challenged the Indian Armed Forces to think outside the daiyra of sena shaetra.

I salute him for the last time.
May he Rest in Peace.
Patni
BRFite

Post by Patni »

Its a very sad day for all of us Indians, Shri Manohar Parrikarji, a real Ratna of Bharatmata, worked with dedication to strengthen her defence! You will always be remembered as the best Raksha Mantri we had. May your atma achieve eternal peace of moksha!
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

I had realised sometime ago that Manohar Parikar will not live long. I was preparing for his loss.

Normally I am quite detached about life and death
But this one leaves a sense of emptyness that is hard to explain.

We have lost one of our best fighters.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

It was also under his tenure that the su-30s availability went from high 30s to high 60s, thank you sir for everything, may you attain moksha
Narad
BRFite

Post by Narad »

Rest in peace sir. Om Shanti
naird
BRFite

Post by naird »

Ohm Shanti ! Parrikar saab - too early.
Apurva
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Apurva »

Om Shanti!! Mahadev grants him Moksha!
ashvin
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ashvin »

It is heart breaking! Always the best of Bharat's children pass away too early.
Om Shanti!
MeshaVishwas
BRFite

Post by MeshaVishwas »

Image Courtesy:Akshay Chander/PGurus
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Parrikar garu had some things he wanted implemented which we will ensure happens:

- Reform MoD procurement system
- Ensure CDS office is instituted
- No Indian troops in Afghanistan
- Viable Indian defence industry without dominance by old time dalals.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

FROM Nitin Gokhale...

रक्षा मंत्री मनोहर पर्रीकर यांच्यासोबत रक्षा विश्लेषक नितीन गोखले यांची अचानक मैत्री झाली. एकदा केंद्रीय मंत्री झाल्यावर पर्रिकरांनी स्वतःच्या फोनवरून गोखले यांनी थेट फोन केला. कोणी पीए वगैरे मध्ये नं ठेवता. आणि सरळ त्यांना आपल्या रेस्ट हाऊस वर बोलावलं. त्यानंतरच्या २ वर्षात पर्रीकर त्यांना सतत फोन करून बोलावत राहिले आणि संरक्षण विषयातील अनेक गोष्टींवर चर्चा करत राहिले.
त्यांच्या या अकृत्रिम मैत्रीबद्दल गोखले यांचा अप्रतिम लेख.
नितीन गोखले दिल्ली स्थित आघाडीचे रक्षा विश्लेषक आणि लेखक आहेत.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/349306342 ... 0983873877

Manohar Parrikar I was lucky to know

Our first conversation began with a misunderstanding. In January 2015, I was in Baroda when an ‘unknown’ number flashed on my mobile. Thinking it was a friend from abroad whose number normally doesn’t show up, I greeted him exuberantly expecting a similar response. Instead, the voice on the other end said, ‘This is Manohar.’ Puzzled, I rather curtly replied: ‘Who Manohar?’ ‘Parrikar,’ the caller added. The penny dropped.

It was India’s Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar. He had personally called. From his own mobile. No PA, no exchange, nobody holding the line. He had simply dialled directly. ‘I want to meet you,’ he said in a matter of fact tone after I had apologised for being slightly rude in my initial reaction. ‘Don’t say sorry. We have never spoken before and my number doesn’t flash. How would you know who is calling,’ Parrikar pointed out and immediately put me at ease. I told him I was away and would return to Delhi in the next couple of days. ‘Done. Let’s have lunch on Sunday. I am staying in Kota House. Please come there around 1230,’ Parrikar told me. My next question was, ‘who should I be in touch with?’ ‘No one. You call me. Please note my number.’ And just like that, my short but memorable association with Manohar Parrikar begun.

I was puzzled and to be honest, also flattered that India’s defence minister wanted to meet me. I was intrigued because at that point in time, I was at a loose end having left NDTV in December 2014. I was not an important Editor or an influential journalist, yet he wanted to meet me. ‘What could he possibly want from me,’ I kept thinking over the next two days since Parrikar had not mentioned any agenda or subject for our meeting.

Hours before going to Kota House (the Naval facility where he was staying since a Lutyen zone bungalow was yet to be allotted to Parrikar), I banged out a one-page suggestion sheet in bullet points, highlighting what I thought were key issues in the Ministry of Defence (MoD).

At Kota House, I was ushered in straight into his suite. A smiling Parrikar, dressed as usual in his trademark open bush shirt and trousers, instantly put me at ease. I had heard many good things about his simplicity, his open approach. In fact, my friend Tejas Mehta, who was then the Mumbai bureau chief of NDTV had specifically asked me to meet Parrikar in November 2014 when he took over at Defence Minister, mentioning that he was very approachable. However, I had no real reason to meet the new defence minster since I was quitting full-time journalism around the same time. All this came back to my mind in a flash as we sat down.

After a moment of awkward silence on my part, I tentatively offered him the one-page sheet I had typed out. After spending two-three minutes reading it, Parrikar said, ‘good suggestions. And I am already working on some of them. But tell me, why does the MoD function on a principle of mistrust?’ Taken aback at the rather direct remark, I asked asked him to elaborate. ‘In these two-three months that I have been here, the most striking aspect I noticed is the all-pervasive atmosphere of suspicion. Everyone is looking over his or her own shoulders. There is very little coordination; the overwhelming tendency is to first say no to everything,’ a visibly agitated Parrikar explained.

I was astonished at how quickly a newcomer like him (no previous experience at the Centre) had gauged the work culture in South Block. ‘It has been like this for decades,’ I concurred. What can be done to improve the system,’ was Parrikar’s next question. ‘Well, there are no readymade solutions,’ I added.

‘There has to be a solution! I think the key is in getting everyone to sit down and evolve a fresh approach. I will call you again to discuss something that I have in mind,’ he said ‘but let’s not keep the fish waiting, gesturing towards the dining table. That’s where I first got a glimpse of his legendary love for fish. As we finished lunch, another point I noted was the ease with which he interacted with his personal staff. Upendra Joshi and Mayuresh Khanvate were among the two most trusted of his personal staff. They also ate with us, sitting on the same dining table. Later I knew why. When he trusted a person, he trusted him or her fully. No half measures.

As weeks went by, we met more frequently—always at his initiative—since I had insisted that I will meet him only when he wanted. Gradually, his calls started coming daily. He was hungry for new information, fresh insights. I provided whatever I could with my limited knowledge.

One day, Parrikar said he wanted to revise the Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP). Give me some names of experts who can revise, rewrite and simplify the procedures, he told me. So I suggested half a dozen names. He chose four of them for the committee that eventually wrote the DPP 2016. It had many revolutionary ideas and Parrikar’s stamp was very clearly visible. He overcame stiff opposition from within to introduce a new category for procurement in the MoD called IDDM--Indigenously designed, developed and manufactured--products giving them top priority in acquisition. I dare say that the improved transparency in the MoD and the willingness of top officials to meet and explore collaborations is the lasting legacy Parrikar has left behind in the South Block.

As months went by, he started calling me home at 10 Akbar Road. Sometime early morning at 7, many a times after 10 pm, after he had finished with his official work. At night, he would inevitably share a beer (Bira had become his favourite) and ruminate, bounce off ideas and sometimes express his frustration about the obstacles he faced in the system. So much so that even when I went off to Honolulu for the 40-day Advanced Security Cooperation Course at the Asia-Pacific Centre for Security Studies in September-October 2015, he would occasionally call from his staff’s Whatsapp number just to chat.

By middle of 2015, he had understood what could work in the murky world of defence, and what could not. However, he was never comfortable in Delhi’s culture of sycophancy. His bungalow was open to everyone but fixers and influencers. So I had to be doubly careful since word had spread about my unrestricted access to India’s defence minister. I must have blocked at least 14-15 numbers in the period that Parrikar was in Delhi because people of dubious credentials wanted to use my closeness to him. I would inevitably tell him about who I had blocked. He would smile and say, ‘good!’

In November 2015, I launched BharatShakti.in. I wanted to begin with a detailed interview with India’s defence minister. But somehow, he couldn’t find time to sit for an hour or more. When I started breathing down his neck as the deadline neared, he said come to Goa. ‘We will fly back together. That way we will get two uninterrupted hours.’ So one fine day, we boarded his official Embraer from Dabolim airport. For the next two hours, I recorded a freewheeling chat with him. The result: his most detailed interview ever (https://bharatshakti.in/exclusive-interview-with-rm/). In fact, it was so detailed that most of what he said translated into policy one by one as months went by. The most astonishing aspect of that two-hour plane journey from Goa to Delhi was the fact that he never referred to a single piece of paper. Everything was on his fingertips. His phenomenal memory and eye for detail was clearly evident during that interaction.

Parrikar was also a voracious reader. One day—I think after he returned from his maiden trip to the US—he handed to me a book and said, ‘read this if you haven’t.’ It was titledVictory on the Potomac by a Pentagon insider detailing the battles that were won and lost in the American political arena before the Goldwater-Nicholos Act was promulgated. ‘Give me your opinion on what could we borrow from here for India,’ he told me, signalling the intent for creating jointness and integration of the three services. On another day, he fished out Robert Greene’s 33 Strategies of War and revealed, ‘it is useful for me to follow some of the tips in this book for my own journey in politics. You should also read it.’ Both those books are still with me. In fact, the day he vacated his bungalow, he carted all his books to Goa Sadan and three weeks later asked me to pick and choose what I wanted to take home. I brought home about 60-65 books. Now they will remind me of him, each time I pick up any one of them to read or refer to.

I was always curious about his journey from IIT Bombay to politics. He narrated a very revealing anecdote about how it all began but suffice it to say once he decided to take the plunge, he was a natural. Parrikar knew how to extract the best out of a diverse set of people. He was loved, respected and followed blindly but Goans for over two decades. He had his faults of course. For one, he hated to decentralise or delegate. Calling him control freak would be an exaggeration but because he was a perfectionist, Parrikar preferred to do most of the work himself. He also therefore, did not or could not groom second rung political leadership in Goa. He culd also be very acerbic when he wanted. Parrikar carried the zeal that had made him such an adored leader in his own state to Delhi but the workload in the MoD was enormous. So he would invariably wake up at 4 am and not sleep until 11 pm. The punishing routine and the fact that he worked all seven days a week (five days in Delhi and two days in Goa), took its toll. He was practically running the MoD and the state of Goa simultaneously.

When in Delhi, he would miss the informal Goan way of life. He had to behave formally as defence minister most of the time. But when Parrikar felt he had to unwind, he would suddenly call and ask if I was in Delhi and free. If I said yes, he would ask me to request my wife to cook simple, home- made fish curry and rice and tell me to keep a couple of bottles of beer in the refrigerator before he arrived. For the next 90 minutes or so, India’s defence minister used to regale us with anecdotes from his personal life in his typical witty style, forgetting all the burden that he carried on his shoulders. We in the family too developed such a close bond with him that none of us felt he was an outsider. For us, it became an accepted fact that Parrikar would drop in at home without much notice. Now, looking back, we have suddenly realised that we don’t even have a single photo with him in our house although I have many snaps with him in public functions.

As I write this, my eyes well up and thousands of memories come flooding back. I am an emotional jumble at the moment but even when I look back after some months, I am sure I will feel the same way about Parrikar—Bhai to everyone in Goa, but like an elder brother to me in the two years that I got to know him so closely in Delhi. To say we will miss him is to state the obvious but for me the bigger loss is for India as a nation. You went too soon Manohar Parrikar. Travel well my friend. You will remain an inspiration for life. The biggest lesson I draw from your life is to remain humble, no matter what heights you reach.

http://nitinagokhale.blogspot.com/2019/ ... w.html?m=1

Nitin A. Gokhale
Multi-tasking as author, teacher, journalist, student of conflicts and wars; Reporter for 32 years. Despite three decades of experience across mediums--print, web and broadcast, the hunger for news hunting is still undiminished. Have reported from and on India's north-east between 1983 and 2006, based in Guwahati before shifting to Delhi. Have written four books, and continue to teach at various journalism institutes and Defence Institutions across the country. Have keen interest in India's immediate and extended neighbourhood.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Parrikar carried the zeal that had made him such an adored leader in his own state to Delhi but the workload in the MoD was enormous. So he would invariably wake up at 4 am and not sleep until 11 pm. The punishing routine and the fact that he worked all seven days a week (five days in Delhi and two days in Goa), took its toll. He was practically running the MoD and the state of Goa simultaneously.
Dedicated workaholic indeed. Hats off.

But some amount of dedication to personal health is also called for. Sleeping 5 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year is a recipe for disaster health-wise.

Modi-ji is doing the same :(.

That's the trouble with karmayogis - they don't care about their personal health, just their duty.

Svalpam api asya dharmasya trayate mahato bhayat.

But then they leave so soon and leave the rest of us, who need their service, in the lurch.

Watch your health guys. Serving the nation is also a privilege, you only get to do so much. You can do it at a more leisurely pace and not compromise your health, or you can try to do it all in a hurry and... well, you know.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

arijitkm wrote:Image
Sir, the message is nice, but sorry to say that msg is not by late shri Manohar Parrikar Sir. His family categorically denied such messages circulating in social media for last few months.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Incredibly sad to hear of Shri Parrikar's passing. Like others, I too was hoping against hope that he would somehow recover and live for many years to come, but alas fate had different plans. A true patriot and illustrious son of India who accomplished a lot during his stint as DM as well as his much longer and very successful stint as CM of Goa.

May your soul attain Moksha sir.
prat.patel
BRFite -Trainee

Post by prat.patel »

Don't understand why the good people have to go so soon! :(
Om Shanti! Parrikar sir - You shall be always fondly remembered!
Last edited by prat.patel on 19 Mar 2019 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Manohar Parrikar'ji passing away left us all benumbed, befuddled and extremely sad.

Our shradanjali to him will be to carry forward his good work and follow his ideals.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Om Shanti.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Om Shanti, may his soul attain Moksha.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

posted without prejudice

twitter

If you claim to be a Hindu, then dont use RIP tag. RIP means stay stagnant. What Hindus want is a better birth, or moksha, ie sad-gati. Movement towards higher planes. To wish a Hindu RIP on his/her demise, is akin to a curse. and when multiple people say it, it takes effect.

Why Hindu do not use term RIP. Rest In Peace.

Muslim and Christian bury dead body.

Hindu, and all branches of Sanatan Dharma like Sikh, JAIN and Buddhist and Yezdi put body on Fire pyre and destroy it so no Black Magic practicer can use body.

They say RIP

Rest in Peace.

Their belief is soul is resting in Box till End of Universe.

In Sanatan Hindu Dharma. , we do not have such thoughts or belief and According to Holy Shreemad Bhagavad Geeta Soul doesn’t die, get wet or burn or dry.

अध्याय 2 श्लोक 23 यह आत्मा न तो कभी किसी शस्त्र द्वारा खण्ड-खण्ड किया जा सकता है, न अग्नि द्वारा जलाया जा सकता है, न जल द्वारा भिगोया या वायु द्वारा सुखाया जा सकता है |

अध्याय 2 : गीता का सारश्लोक 2 . 23

नैनं छिन्दन्ति शस्त्राणि नैनं दहति पावकः |
न चैनं क्लेदयन्त्यापो न शोषयति मारुतः || २३ ||

But soul is changing body like
e cloths so according to its own Karma.

Soul goes To different Yoni or get Moksha and merge with Lord Shiva or Shree Krishna.

“RIP” or “Rest in Peace” is a phrase that you should use for those who practices to bury a dead body and presume that the human is going to rest in the ground till the judgement day or resurrection.

For Hindus, the belief is that the living being is not a body but soul and the body acts just as an abode for the soul through one life.

Soul leaves one body and acquires the new one and the ones who are able to break the cycle of life achieves “Moksha” means salvation.

Hence, this concept of resting in piece is not valid in Hinduism.The expressions we can use:

. OM

· Prayers for the departed soul

· May the soul achieve the highest abode· May soul achieve Moksha· May soul achieve heaven

. Om Shanti

That is why we do not use term RIP but say OM Hindu Need to change its Day to day Habits.ये “रिप-रिप-रिप-रिप” क्या है?

देखने में आया है कि किसी मृतात्मा के प्रति RIP लिखने का “फैशन” चल पड़ा है, ऐसा इसलिएहुआ है, क्योंकि कान्वेंटी दुष्प्रचार तथा नकल
रण हमारे युवाओं को धर्म की मूल अवधारणाएँ या तो पता ही नहीं हैं, अथवा विकृत हो चुकी हैं…

RIP शब्द का अर्थ होता है “Rest in Peace” (शान्ति से आराम करो), यह शब्द उनके लिए उपयोग किया जा जिन्हें कब्र में दफनाया गया हो, क्योंकि ईसाई अथवा मुस्लिम मान्यताओं केअनुसार जब कभी “जजमेंट डे” अथवा “क़यामत का दिन” आ br>दिन कब्र में पड़े ये सभी मुर्दे पुनर्जीवित हो जाएँगे…अतः उनके लिए कहा गया है, कि उस क़यामत के दिन के इंतज़ार में “शान्ति से आराम करो” ।।

लेकिन हिन्दू धर्म की मान्यताओं के अनुसार शरीर नश्वर है, आत्मा अमर है, हिन्दू शरीर को जला दियाजाता है, अतः उसके “Rest in Peace” का सवाल ही नहीं उठता !

हिन्दू धर्म के अनुसार मनुष्य की मृत्यु होते ही आत्मा निकलकर किसी दूसरे नए जीव/ काया/शरीर/नवजात में प्रवेश कर जाती है… उस आत्मा को अगली यात्रा हेतु गति प्रदान करने के लिए ही श्राद्धकर्म की परंपरा निर्वहन एवं शान्तिपाठ आयोजित किए जाते हैं !

अतःकिसी हिन्दू मृतात्मा हेतु “विनम्र श्रद्धांजलि”,”श्रद्धांजलि”, “आत्मा को सदगति प्रदान करें” जैसे वाक्य विन्यास लिखे जाने चाहिए, जबकि किसी मुस्लिम अथवा ईसाई की मृत्यु पर उनके लिए RIP लिखा जा सकता है…

होता यह है कि श्रद्धांजलि देते समय भी “शॉर्टकट(?) अपनाने की आदत से हममें से कई मित्र हिन्दूमृत्यु पर भी “RIP” ठोंक आते हैं…

यह विशुद्ध “अज्ञान ल्दबाजी” है, इसके अलावा कुछ नहीं…अतः कोशिश करें कि भविष्य में यह गलती ना हो, एवं हम लोग “दिवंगत आत्मा को श्रद्धां न करें… ना कि उसे RIP (apart) करें !
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Manohar Parrikar will stay in our hearts forever, say women who rebuilt Bhuj airstrip during 1971 war
When the news of death of former Defence Minister and Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Sunday reached Madhapar, a remote village in Kutch, tears streamed down a few wrinkled faces

“I have lost my son,” laments Valbai Senghani. She is one of the nearly 300 women who had volunteered to repair the Bhuj airstrip that was damaged during the 1971 war.

Senghani fondly remembers how Parrikar, when he took over as the Defence Minister and got to know of their contribution, invited them to Delhi in 2017.

They were his guests for six days, during which he even fed them with his hands, she says.

While all surviving women had been invited, only she and five others had gone to Delhi.

The pain at his death was visible on her face. “I have children, but it feels like I have lost my son. He was so warm, so down to earth and so humble. He will stay in our heart forever, not because he was our Defence Minister but because he was a very kind-hearted human being,” adds Senghani.
Blessed is he who gets the love of his own Mother, but even more blessed is he who gets the love of many Mothers!

PS: Do look at the photos in the article, those in a slide show at the bottom
Manu
BRFite

Post by Manu »

Bhagwan is Karamyogi ki aatma ko shanti day.
gaurav.p
BRFite

Post by gaurav.p »

Manohar Parrikar had the courage to smile in the face of inevitable

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... aign=cppst