Narendra Modi vs the Dynasty: Contrasting Ideas of India

Raj
BRFite

Re: Narendra Modi vs the Dynasty: Contrasting Ideas of India

Post by Raj »

sum wrote:Yeh kya ho raha hai, bhai?
Shankar Singh Vaghela praises Narendra Modi; says he must build Ram Mandir
In a huge embarrassment to Congress, party leader Shankar Singh Vaghela on Wednesday praised BJP's Prime Minister-designate and said that BJP must work to build the Ram Mandir.

"People voted for Narendra Modi with expectations. I hope within framework of constitution there is a Ram Mandir in Ayodhya," Vaghela said in a special session of the Gujarat Assembly.

Stumping his party with the praise that he bestowed on Modi, Vaghela said, "Narendra Modi will not be PM of the BJP ..
I read in a another news article that he said it in a sarcastic tone.
member_28468
BRFite

Post by member_28468 »

Rahul mehta je i posted this in ur other tread but u seem to forget that thread so here it is :|

Rahul mehta je i came to know abot your post in modi vs dynasty topic although i am hardcore fan of modi(as u say modi bagt) but i see some reson in your post.
1 i would very much like to know about your solution to islamification and ej in india. :evil:

2.you always say modi supress the census data ,as i think you live in gujrat ahmdabad is it not possible for you to ask officially or unofficialy to modi or his assistant directly about this may be he had good reason...(junta darbar of CM ) :-?

3 last about your drafting new laws ,sir i think it is good idea but simply making law will not change anything corrupt man always find a way ani can remeber one saying "mera bharat mahan100me se 99 baieman" means 99person are corrupt one way or other in india :|

I dont know if you given this a thought but i think gurukul education with modern touch and some reservation can go a long way.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Mitron as per Omar Abdullah Paki PM Badmash has been invited for Modi's swearing in ceremony is this correct ? Ye kis ka idea hai ?
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Shamlee wrote:
krishnan wrote:Supreme Headquarters
Thanks. Does it go both ways i.e. should I refer to my hubby as SHQ or am I the SHQ?
That is blasphemy.. :shock:
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Virendra
BRFite

Post by Virendra »

negi wrote:Mitron as per Omar Abdullah Paki PM Badmash has been invited for Modi's swearing in ceremony is this correct ? Ye kis ka idea hai ?
Negi ji,
All SAARC leaders are invited.
Singling out Pakis also won't look mature.
Hope he won't malign the ceremony by crashing here. :P
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

Self delete.
Last edited by abhijitm on 21 May 2014 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

Virendra wrote:
negi wrote:Mitron as per Omar Abdullah Paki PM Badmash has been invited for Modi's swearing in ceremony is this correct ? Ye kis ka idea hai ?
Negi ji,
All SAARC leaders are invited.
Singling out Pakis also won't look mature.
Hope he won't malign the ceremony by crashing here. :P
MMS didn't attend his ceremony so he won't.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Surprised to know that NaMo used to speak very little in Guj Assembly
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Rahul Kanwal ‏@rahulkanwal 6h

I get the feeling that Gujarat Cong MLAs are quite relieved to see @narendramodi become Vada Pradhan. Can't beat him, send him away.
Rahul Kanwal ‏@rahulkanwal 6h

Cong MLAs effusive in praise of @narendramodi for fulfilling Gujarati dream. Quite unlike Delhi where he's still the man who can't be named.
Rahul Kanwal ‏@rahulkanwal 4h

Congress is in serious trouble if it's 'tallest' leader pushes RSS ideology in Assembly. And other party MLAs thump desks. Identity crisis.
member_28025
BRFite

Post by member_28025 »

In yesterday's parliamentary meeting, who is the person sitting next to Amit Shah? I have seen him in a couple of NaMo's rallies.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Actually Congress peddled mild Hindutva in run up to the previous assembly elections in Gujarat. Goes to show that when Hindus consolidate Hindutva politics becomes absolutely necessary. If the Hindus could only become self aware.
vivek.rao
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek.rao »

Minhaz Merchant ‏@minhazmerchant 2h
Modi's googly bowls Nawaz. If he attends, he's clubbed with other SAARC leaders. If he doesn't, he's the hardliner not Modi

Vinod Sharma ‏@vinod_sharma 2h
Smart way of conveying his concerns also, without inviting Sharif to a summit. @minhazmerchant
Chanakya in Delhi ka gaddi :rotfl:
Vinod Ji
BRFite

Post by Vinod Ji »

Shamlee wrote:In yesterday's parliamentary meeting, who is the person sitting next to Amit Shah? I have seen him in a couple of NaMo's rallies.
Mr. J.P.Nadda

Currently one the general secretaries & if rumors are to be believed next president of BJP. ex himachal health minister..Used to work with Modi in himachal 30 years back..
member_28025
BRFite

Post by member_28025 »

Thanks Vinod ji.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Ramana ji ka:
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... r#p1657122
Rahul M wrote:
ramana wrote:
My god!!! In 1992 when PVNR took over I sent thru a babu the idea to invite SAARC heads to GOI functions and former SAARC heads to get a nominated member position in Rajya Sabha. I wrote a one pager pros and cons.
Was told PVNR opened a file on the idea and felt very good about it.
I guess we will see this in ten years.
I was thinking of this idea of yours when I read the plan ! ahead of the curve indeed !
Last edited by Manish_Sharma on 21 May 2014 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

ramana, dunno the context of dhriturashtra on LKji discussion in teetar! is this the 'the krupa window'?
Last edited by SaiK on 21 May 2014 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Small things go a long way. For instance:

muraliravi
BRF Oldie

Post by muraliravi »

Vaghela and Advani were the 2 people on the rath when ram janambhoomi yatra started from Somnath. Vaghela was in BJP until the mid 90's.
subhamoy.das
BRFite

Post by subhamoy.das »

Shamlee wrote:Look at ToI saying that what NaMo did in the parliament was drama.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home ... 398699.cms

How low can journalism go.
We are lucky to have a electorate today who can easily see through all the smoke and mirror created by the paid media. So for next 15-20 years we can safely switch on all paid news media and keep tuned in only to the economic channels.
Anantha
BRFite

Post by Anantha »

Peon in tears in Gujrat assembly during farewell. Gujrat Model

Last edited by Anantha on 21 May 2014 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

The word drama can be used without a negative connotation as well. Whether Modi 'acted' or not, only he will know. However, his speech moved people. And he is politician, and one needs to give him some room for rhetoric, drama, stump speech, political jabs ityadi. People will not be swayed by numbers alone.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

you can use the word drama, but you can twist the event as drama. be careful to support MSM with sweeping statements!

MSM is going to have hard time now, to convert to non-dork-ness, and report as is rather continue on twist agenda
jagga
BRFite

Post by jagga »

vivek.rao wrote:
Minhaz Merchant ‏@minhazmerchant 2h
Modi's googly bowls Nawaz. If he attends, he's clubbed with other SAARC leaders. If he doesn't, he's the hardliner not Modi

Vinod Sharma ‏@vinod_sharma 2h
Smart way of conveying his concerns also, without inviting Sharif to a summit. @minhazmerchant
Chanakya in Delhi ka gaddi :rotfl:
Haramiyoon (Paki) tumhara baap aa gaya hai :lol:
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Shamlee wrote:
a_bharat wrote:Was there any instance where an Indian PM broke down like this in public? We were expecting him to be tough and cool but not emotional. Will he be able to handle the nuke button with the cool, calm head that he is expected to?

Running for cover ...
He got emotional towards his Bharat Mata and wouldn't hesitate to handle the nuke button if she was threatened.

This brings tear to eye. Every time.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Yad yad acharathi shreshthas, tad tad evetharo janah
Sah yad pramaanam kurute, lokas tad anuvartate

BG: That which a great man does, average folk will do the same. Whatever he does as an example, people will follow it.

SHQ is reporting how former FB Kejri fans are now seamlessly becoming Modi fans. The emotional speech in parliament is being portrayed as a sign of greatness and humility. Kejri is forgotten, the Ganga Arti is in. Of course, it could just be that now that the media anchors are transitioning, the blind media followers (lemmings) are also getting converted.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

SaiK wrote:ramana, dunno the context of dhriturashtra on LKji discussion in teetar! is this the 'the krupa window'?
I don't think so.

We need to understand old man's dream. PMO Gaddi is not ordinary Gaddi and it has been take away from Bhishma twice. No wonder he was bitter (there is no other way to explain). Hence his use of word kripa. This is how oldies try to emotional blackmail young when they know they don't have dharma on their side. Remember Dhritarashtra's comments after MB war when he had to live in Pandava's house. Bhima used to harass him everyday while giving food.

Coming to the MaunMohan, he must be punished for his treason (I use this word very seriously). Because he willingly undermined Indian interests and subverted PMO to Eyetalian/USA interests. But we cannot punish him overtly because the political dispensation is expected to have freedom in deciding the country's destiny (hope people understand why it is 'Yatha raja Tatha Praja') and cannot be prosecuted for doing what they 'think' is the best for the nation. So the only exist out is to send him to vanaprastha/samnyasa.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Dilbu wrote:
Shamlee wrote:
Thanks. Does it go both ways i.e. should I refer to my hubby as SHQ or am I the SHQ?
Hain, wimmens on BRF? I did not believe when Modi became PM but now I believe. Ghor kaliyug aayaa hai. Wife is the SHQ and husband is the soldier in the trench fighting according to commands (as per BRF story) :mrgreen:
Despite Modi wave, this is proof of RaGa wimmen empowerment. Modi wave is just a state of mind which can be discarded easily.
vivek.rao
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek.rao »

How Modi should ensure India sees 'acche din'
Sanjeev Nayyar
Sanjeev Nayyar chalks out a detailed six-point agenda for the new National Democratic Alliance government led by Narendra Modi.
Increase supply of electricity even if at higher rates. Extend the Jyoti Gram Yojana, successfully implemented in Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh (providing separate lines for home and farmers along with committed but limited power to draw groundwater), nationwide.

Penalise states that supply free power.

Learning’s from states that increased agricultural growth significantly to be shared nationwide as also the virtues of drip-irrigation. Also, cause and ill-effects of depletion of groundwater in Punjab and Haryana must be addressed. A short to long term implementation plan to increase the area of agricultural land irrigated should be prepared in consultation with the states. We need a sustained program on water conservation and management.

“Currently the Agricultural Produce Market Committee Acts require buying and selling of agricultural products to be done through regulated markets, with mandated fees to be paid to market committees. Also, there is a lack of harmonisation of indirect taxes on agricultural products across states” (Read report here/external link)

Simply put the current system does not allow farmer to realise the best price, hence needs to change.

The policy of FCI buying food grains in excess of buffer and public distribution must be reviewed. Minimum Support Price to be made effective for pulses and oilseeds, where demand exceeds supply.

‘Love your Farmer’ should be new buzzword.

In rural India focus on water harvesting, renewal energy, sanitation and planting trees. Promote house-hold level bio-gas units and a twin pit water seal sanitary facility. (Click here to know more/external link)

Oil marketing companies should be allowed to set up 100 percent ethanol plants in water-rich states like Bihar. This would generate employment and reduce country’s import bill when ethanol is blended with petrol in the mandated ratio of 5 percent.

Bottlenecks in high employment sectors like garments must be removed. Work closely with states to reform labour laws. Create a framework that motivates setting up, on an all India scale, of vocational training schools.

Initiate large projects like construction of highways, laying of rail track and sanitation facilities.

The capital goods import during NDA averaged about $10 billion a year. It amounted to $587 billion in nine years of the United Progressive Alliance rule. Create and protect capital goods industry. Build capability to manufacture telecom equipment (Read ‘Should India's telecom backbone be made in China?’/external link) and impose duties to protect domestic power equipment industry.

Government policies should create a telecom industrial complex which makes an Indian equivalent of Chinese Huawei (Read the report here).

A 2011 commerce ministry strategy paper stated “The burgeoning imports of edible oils, pulses, fertilizers, coal and now iron ore, even cell phone instruments, have all benefited from domestic industrial policy, which at best was negligent, or worse, downright hostile” (Read report here).

A friendly industrial policy especially for small and medium enterprises must be announced and encourage professional service organisations to help MSME’s scale up.

Create a transparent and functional policy for exploitation of natural resources that benefits all stakeholders namely central and state governments, local community and environment. It is important that corporates do not unjustly enrich themselves as in the case of 2G scam and coalgate.

PSU’s like Coal India should be further professionalised and asked to deliver or face privatisation. Reduce political interference in banks. At the same time PSU’s should not be made scapegoats for the inefficiencies/agendas of private companies.

Diesel subsidy should be phased out over the next 6-9 months with no subsidy for petrol. Excise duty on SUVs must be increased.

LPG subsidy must be provided to poor and those in hilly border areas. Increase the income exemption limit from Rs 2 to Rs 3 lakhs.

Tax rates for individuals earning in excess of Rs 1 crore should be progressively increased and an investor friendly way found to enhance tax revenues from equity market.

Income of the Board of Cricket Control for India should be taxed.

Housing co-operative societies that do not provide club facilities to residents should be outside the service tax net. Importantly, simplify direct tax laws.

According to a 2014 Forbes India report, Indian students are spending Rs 27,000 crores to study abroad. Imagine the multiplier effect of this spending and contribution to current account deficit. The regulatory framework for higher education needs to be revamped so that students find it attractive to study in India.

Shares of blue chip PSU’s like ONGC, Coal India, BALCO must be sold to generate resources and wealth in hands of citizens. Import duty on gold must be done away with, in two phases, over say the next 6-9 months.

Foreign Direct Investment is welcome, in areas where India is lacking in capital or technology. FDI in single brand retail is ok if there is significant value addition in the country.

Repeal laws, passed in the 19th and 20th centuries, which have irrelevant. Change dress code for lawyers to what is suitable for Indian weather conditions.

Intent is to increase supply and reduce unproductive expenditure, pre-requisites for a fall in inflation and interest rates.

Cash is king means India needs high economic growth, lower fiscal/current account deficits and surge in per capita incomes. Further, the rupee dollar exchange rate should not be seen as a symbol of national honour but as a reflection of difference in inflation rates.
The Indian military is carrying huge shortages of critical ordnance. Deficiencies of equipment like 155m Ultra Lightweight Field Howitzer and Light Utility Helicopters cannot be ignored any longer. Acquisitions need to be fast tracked (Read report here/external link).

Give preference to indigenous production involving Indian firms or joint-ventures.

Special importance must be given to resolving issues of ex-servicemen. Need a compassionate, problem solving approach.

Devise a policy framework that creates a level playing field for private and public sectors. Lay down a roadmap on how percentage of indigenous defence production doubles in seven years.

Corporatise the ordinance factories, empower and assist them. They just might turn out to be our hidden jewels.

Create a new ministry for defence procurement and production, place people with domain expertise and co-opt reputed private sector companies in long-term procurement plans.

Allow companies to export arms -- helps maintain competitiveness. Leverage and intertwine arms exports with foreign policy.

Have a defence company i.e. the equivalent of ONGC Videsh Ltd which buys plant/technology from the west to then set up manufacturing facilities in India.

All this will generate employment, boost foreign exchange reserves and increase GDP.

Area beyond Zojila Pass comprising Kargil and Ladakh to become a Union territory for an interim period of five years before becoming a state. Deeper intent is development, build border infrastructure and increase human happiness index.

Like Ladakh Scouts, have Arunachali Scouts. Former Governor of Arunachal Pradesh, Gen J J Singh, had started it. Two batches passed out so far. A local who knows the terrain and dialect, is better suited to deal with incursions.

Where Border Roads Organisation has failed to deliver, involve reputed private companies like Larsen & Toubro to build border roads. Focus on Ladakh and Arunachal Pradesh.

Co-opt the armed forces into brainstorming sessions on defence strategy and external affairs. Arm forces with the knowledge of Chanakya’s Arthashastra.
India must have an integrated strategy to deal with China that encompasses trade, internal and external security, border management and military build-up. Make it clear to China that relations with India and access to her market would be affected by supply of arms to Pakistan/local insurgency groups. To read 17 ways to take on an aggressive China (Click here for more).

Like former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, Modi must visit the Tawang monastery in Arunachal Pradesh.

India must define its sphere of influence and then provide all needs of those countries be it arms, development assistance etc.

As part of its Look East policy and strengthening ties with the Buddhist World, India must build an Expressway between Patna and Bodhgaya. Make Bodhgaya and Kashi/Sarnath world class towns so they showcase India’s rich heritage.

In phase two create a "Buddhist Circuit". A 8-lane expressway linking Lumbini (Nepal)-Bodhgaya-Sarnath-Kusinagar-Sravasti-Rajgir-Sankassa-Vaishali with international airport connectivity. Have a visa-free regime for devotees from Buddhist countries.

Develop closer political-defence ties with Japan and Vietnam. Importantly, Look East policy should be a consistent part of India’s foreign policy and not with intent to contain China.

Strengthen ties with Russia and overlooking events of the immediate past, re-engage the U.S.

According to a 2012 report in Dailystar Dacca, 1.5 million cows worth $500 million are smuggled into Bangladesh every year. Also, export of cattle to Pakistan needs to be stopped. At the same time trade and transit to be encouraged -- Bangladesh needs to be convinced of how investments from India can generate jobs and reduce poverty.

Laws and implementation for identification of Bangladeshis needs to be strengthened and a dialogue with Bangladesh started. Porous borders in West Bengal and Assam to be well guarded to avoid further infiltration.

As and when ancient temples in south east Asia are damaged offer requisite technical assistance to repair them. (For e.g. world famous Prambanan Temple, Java, Indonesia was damaged in 2006 due to earthquake).

Rebuild ‘covert capability with Pakistan’ that was disbanded by former Prime Minister I K Gujral. ‘Support the citizens of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir, Gilgit, Baltisthan and Balochistan in the fight for their human rights that have been denied to them by Pakistan’.
Focus on improving road and rail connectivity. Where highways exist convert them into six-lane or construct new ones. Where Border Roads Organisation has failed to meet deadlines award contracts to reputed Indian companies with financial incentives for early completion.

On the Guwahati-Dimapur-Kohima-Imphal-Moreh route the road from Kohima to Imphal requires urgent attention. On the Guwahati-Silchar-Imphal route there are two World War 2 Bailey suspension bridges on Barak and Makru rivers which need immediate replacement. Road from Silchar to Imphal needs to be repaired on a priority basis. Do not wait for a war to kick-start completion of roads.

Simultaneously, present Bangladesh with an opportunity to earn huge transit fees by permitting construction of a Kolkata-Agartala Expressway through its territory.

The railway track from Lumbing to Silchar in Assam is being converted to broad gauge but needs to be completed on priority whilst the new railway line from Silchar to Imphal (currently behind schedule) needs to be extended to Moreh on Myanmar border. Rail connectivity would give a great impetus to border trade.

Ensure timely completion of the Sittwe port project in Myanmar. According to a December 2013 report (external link) Essar hope to complete work by June 2014. Road from Paleta in Myanmar to Lomasu on border and to Lawngtlai/NH54 in Mizoram thereafter should, as expected, be completed by early 2015.

Information technology companies who set up units in north-east to get a five-year tax holiday.

Create ‘centres of excellence in higher learning’ in Itanagar so that fewer students of Arunachal Pradesh have to leave the state for higher studies. Have airports at Itanagar and Tezu with air connectivity like the rest of the north-east.

While Imphal has reasonably good medical facilities it needs quality engineering colleges. The National Institute of Technology there needs to become fully functional.

While a lot of money is being poured into development of the north-east, projects must be continuously and rigorously monitored to ensure timely completion and prevent money from being siphoned off.

At the same time make hostels in big cities for north-east students -- each with a capacity of say 5,000.
Rename district collector as district sewak.

Modi must promote tourism and lead from the front by attending major festivals e.g. Sanghai Festival in Manipur, Thrissurpuram in Kerala, Jaisalmer Desert Festival, Hola Mohalla in Punjab, etc.

Create and support an ecosystem for affordable tourism. This generates employment and promotes national integration.

Create a framework that encourages entrepreneurs to open ‘taste of India’ restaurants worldwide which serve pan-Indian cuisine. They could be in Tokyo, Hanoi, Moscow, Rome, Nairobi, Durban, Shanghai and Sydney.

Promote medical tourism in a big way-has huge employment potential. Also read ‘ObamaCare is fast assuring that companies migrate for medical care; depreciating rupee making India viable’ (Read report).

Ministry of external affairs must support the preceding two ideas in a big way.

In Naxal-prone Bastar promote development as never before. Provide every village with electricity, television set and cover the entire area with cell phone towers. Have an annual Bastar craft and tribal festival and make it an international event. This should be accompanied with pro-active policing. Nationalist organisations must be co-opted to educate tribals like they have done in Arunachal Pradesh.

Use solar energy, all along the Rajasthan border, to provide light as against use of diesel currently. Ditto for cell phone tower companies which use over a billion litres of subsidised diesel per annum. Huge financial outlay should result in local production of solar panels at competitive rates.

Respected gurus and munis of India must explain the concept of dharma to the common man and explain how it is inclusive and has nothing to do with religion. Thus, people can be urged to discard the divisive European concept of secularism and imbibe an Indic one instead
Indians must move away from the western concept of rights to the Indian concept of duty. If just 15 percent of Indians do their duty towards the less fortunate India would be a greater country to live in.

At the slightest signs of progress the media and people talk of India becoming a superpower. Such an attitude symbolises lack of confidence. The day India truly arrives the world will speak to us differently.

The humble and aware will sense the difference.

We must regain our position as the spiritual leader of the world and reach out to all without letting our guard down. A strong nation is one that has the ability and will to fight but chooses to restrain itself till provoked.

In 60 months, the words Narendra Modi and implementation should become synonymous
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/m ... endra-modi

Islamist militants incite anti-India attacks after Narendra Modi's victory

Allegations that BJP leader encouraged 2002 violence that left 1,000 – mainly Muslim – dead makes him target of extremists
Last July, a cleric who has been linked to al-Qaida issued a video statement – entitled "Why is there no storm in your ocean?" – that reprimanded Indian Muslims for their supposed lack of interest in "global jihad".
Agnimitra
BRF Oldie

Post by Agnimitra »

X-post:

Congress burning files as they leave?
Fire at Shastri Bhawan in Delhi
NEW DELHI: A fire broke out on Wednesday morning on the seventh floor of Delhi's Shastri Bhawan that houses some union ministries, an official said.

"We are yet to ascertain the reason behind the fire. No casualties have been reported so far," a fire service official said.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Never knew Swati Sarkar of twitter fame wrote for Niticentral

http://www.niticentral.com/2013/04/27/a ... 71230.html
A month back, on March 26 to be specific, a University of Pennsylvania student forum for debating government and politics (GPA) invited me to participate in a discourse on Narendra Modi, the Chief Minister of Gujarat. Engagement of students in analysis of contemporary issues is fairly commonplace in premier Universities, and the world’s largest democracy that India is, its vibrant politics will presumably induce enthusiasm abroad. But, this particular discourse had been precipitated by the infamous disinvite that a conference under the aegis of University of Pennsylvania extended to Modi and the subsequent international opprobrium that the University invited on itself. My colleague from medical school, Aseem Shukla and I had censured the move at venues such as Niti Central, NYtimes, Daily Pennsylvanian (Upenn newspaper) etc. I had also spoken at a protest organised by an association called ‘Americans for Free Speech’ on the day of the conference.

On the other hand, the disinvite was initiated by a concerted campaign launched by A Loomba, T Ghose and S Kaul. The convenors of the debate sought to constitute a representative panel by inviting all the above stakeholders. Shukla and I readily acquiesced to participate as we anticipated an ideal forum to deliberate on the affair and the academic lessons learned therein. Loomba, Ghose and Kaul however procrastinated on the acceptance of the invitation for more than a week. It was only after GPA resolved to go ahead with the panel without their participation and accordingly invited us, that Loomba and subsequently Ghose consented to debate Narendra Modi at Upenn.

The scope of the debate comprised of (i) the invitation and the subsequent rescission and (ii) Modi’s governance of Gujarat. While I had definitive persuasions as to the first, I apprised myself more on the latter in preparation. I reconciled to focusing on two specific issues in which I could meaningfully con-tribute, that of women’s empowerment and the pursuance of energy security through alternate energy generation – the latter constitutes my recent research interest as well. On request, the Chief Minister’s office directed me to extensive online resources with due professional alacrity – a pleasant surprise I must concede given my institutional affiliation. The debate would inevitably dwell on the unfortunate riots of 2002; I accordingly delved into the online news archives around the time, some synopses of history of riots in India and deciphered parts of the investigative report authored by the task force instituted by the supreme court of India (SIT).

I had the pleasure of being introduced to Loomba and Ghose on the evening of the debate, April 16, only to discover that Loomba could at best manage a curt nod. Ghose was however genial enough to extend the customary courtesy with which colleagues greet each other. Shukla initiated the debate with an outstanding and well-received address that derided the capitulation of the University on the virtues of plurality of discourse.

It was Loomba’s turn next. To start with, she equated the political choice of supporting Modi to the agenda of Hindu supremacy. Subsequently, she circulated a leaflet which prominently displayed a snapshot taken of me during my speech at the Wharton protest followed by excerpts from an agenda, which some would call puerile, for constituting a pro-Hindu Government in India. The agenda, it seems, was articulated by an organiser of the protest in a blog he authored. The leaflet was evidently conceived with the intent to cast aspersions on my credibility through innuendos. Loomba, the intellectual fountainhead of a premier university, also resorted to justifying the indefensible censorship she advocated, through a prominent display of certain inane protest placards conceived by those who do not stake any claim to furthering the frontiers of human knowledge. I was outraged by the design, but in hindsight, have been excruciatingly naive to not have anticipated such a move.

Has it not been a long-standing ploy of the leftist ideology which Loomba is closely associated with to counter content through campaign of calumny? Liberty to dissent is a concept non grata, till date, in communist nations and voices thereof are brutally silenced by the state machinery. Back home, one of the champions of Nehruvian socialism, a Cambridge-educated Mani Shankar Aiyar habitually lavishes encomiums, such as mass murderer, demon and other endearments that may not be reproduced in print, on a democratically elected Chief Minister of his country, without a shred of substantiation. Worse, he is liberally granted airtime in national television channels like NDTV, and CNN-IBN to perpetuate his uncivilised tirade and occasionally abuse his fellow debaters, some of whom happen to be women.

The left-leaning print media is not far behind either. One such outlet, Tehelka, recently published an article authored by Rana Ayuub, alleging incentivised blogging and anonymous tweeting by organised groups in support of the politics of Modi. The same article cited one of my tweets in this context oblivious to the easily veritable detail that I am hardly anonymous in social media, and incognisant of another trivia that I have not been compensated directly or indirectly for any of my contributions. It is worthy of note that I am relatively inconsequential in the world of political commentary, which suggests that attempts to denigrate more regular contributors constitutes a norm. Digressing little more, several left-leaning journalists routinely bemoan unparliamentary censure they are subjected to in social media. Ironically, one of the torch-bearers in this domain, an erstwhile Rhodes scholar, Sagarika Ghose, recently used the same medium to ascribe the virtues of a ‘guttersnipe’ to a young editor of a blogging site.

In defence of my innocence, none of the above violators happen to be academics anywhere let alone at an Ivy league institution. But, then in the words of an eminent advocate of free speech, Professor Kors at the history department of Upenn, didn’t the likes of Loomba and Ghose betray their profession, their students and their moral obligations by demanding censorship of a speech that the students intended to learn from? Their presumption of a moral crusade against a political ideology they perceive to be fascism would naturally sanctify the denigration of a colleague who has, in their home turf, challenged the inviolability of the censorship they enacted. Thus, started the debate.

The inauspicious commencement confronted me with a Hobson’s choice. I could seek to impeach the credibility of Loomba through guilt by association that she sought to invoke against me. While I was accused of once sharing a stage with so-called Hindu supremacists, she had a long-standing academic collaboration with Angana Chatterji and had signed a petition opposing the denial of entry of her partner to India. Chatterji has prominently participated in several conferences organised by Gulam Nabi Fai, who was arrested by the FBI for concealing the transfer of a whopping $3.5 million from Pakistani secret services, ISI, which he used for lobbying on Kashmir in US. He has pleaded guilty of conspiracy and tax evasion. Chatterjee’s academic position has now been suspended on grounds of misappropriation of funds, which perhaps explains why she did not sign the petition advocating the disinvite to Modi, despite earlier leading the campaign that lead to the denial of his US visa. I however chose to steer clear of denigrating Loomba so as not to reduce the debate to a Loomba-Sarkar forum and further vitiate the atmosphere through continued mud-slinging. But, lest the credibility crisis she instigated overshadows my participation, I rebutted the vilification relying on the views that I expressed in my protest speech as also my articles.

That the ambience of the discourse undermined the intellectual content is an understatement as the video footage will reveal. The distinguished debaters sought to argue why the debate itself was illegitimate. They made a compelling case by branding Modi and his supporters as fascists, right wing nuts, collaborators and the students who invited Modi as incompetent at best and Hindu supremacists at worst. They furnished a letter from a Muslim who was apparently intimidated by the very presence of the supporters of Modi. And, the distinguished academicians were aghast that some Wharton protesters appealed that their positions be discontinued all because they signed a petition. The tale of Gujarat riots and development deficiencies they narrated were as expected replete with subterfuges, misrepresentations and half-truths. Given the limited time at our disposal, some distortions were refuted, while the rest remained unchallenged; our rebuttals were distorted and the saga continued. Yet, I remain disappointed that the decimation of the web of falsehoods the cottage industry of riot activism seeks to foster day in and day out ensured an abbreviation of our commentary of the decade long success story of Gujarat. But, perhaps the truth of progress would have more conclusively countered the shrill voices that howl accusations without awaiting systemic determination? I remain unsure given the hostile discourse.

The sublime of academic discourse was scaled when Loomba sought to silence a student who was impertinent enough to seek a specific answer. She continued her verbal duel with those who posed inconvenient queries during the succeeding question and answer session. One of the admonished pupils alleged that she was as much in violation of the principles of free speech as the Wharton protesters who demanded sanction on her. Due to severe constraints on time, we could not seek her views on the closely related discontinuation of a summer course in economics that Subramanium Swamy offered every year at Harvard on the ground that he penned an opinion piece which has no bearing whatsoever on the course or the discipline.

My eminent colleagues liberally speculated on whether the industrialist Adani’s sponsorship of the Wharton India Economic Forum was contingent on the plenary invitation extended to Modi. The association was apparently substantiated by the withdrawal of the sponsorship after the rescission of the invitation; it was inconsequential that most of the other sponsors withdrew after the unsavory incident as well. It was also surmised that the disinvite was extended because Modi refused an interactive session after his speech. They confirmed this hypothesis with the irrefutable evidence that he walked out several years back of the Devil’s Advocate show conducted by Karan Thapar on CNN IBN. It was of no import that neither the Wharton school or its student body is yet to affirm their contention. The theatre of the absurd continued as they transferred the burden of ruling out their conjecture on us – it didn’t suffice that neither the students nor the Wharton Dean alluded to such a possibility in the correspondences we had.

One of the students detected a logical inconsistency in Ghose’s address. He argued that religious minorities vote for Modi out of apprehension of violence, and also that 70 per cent in this group do not exercise their democratic mandate in favour of Modi. Yet large scale violence has not been reported in Gujarat in more than a decade after 2002. Ghose’s response did not seem to further enlighten the audience on this topic. Loomba directed the moderator to allow the queries of some (likely) acquaintances. One of the chosen individuals observed that it was immoral to count the dead — true, nonetheless necessary to counter the factual distortions that my colleagues sought to disseminate on the same topic. The daughter of Ehsan Jafri, a riot victim, enquired about the housing discrimination against the Muslims in Gujarat, a question which Shukla fielded. He clarified that such unfortunate discrimination was not limited to Muslims and the nature of the discrimination depend on the sub-area in question, eg: only Jains are encouraged to reside in Paldi in Ahmedabad.

Another attendee commented that the denial of US visa establishes Modi’s complicity in the riots. Not many were privy to the information that one Nelson Mandela would be responsible of abetting terrorism based on the same rationale – he continued to be on a watch list for terrorists, since the African National Congress was designated a terrorist organisation in 1980s, and until as late as 2008, a decade and a half after he was awarded the Nobel Prize.

Eventually, the moderator called for closing statements. Shukla started his, at which point Loomba and Ghose decided to call it a day, unilaterally. We remain confounded as to why the commendable equianimity they displayed thus far deserted them towards the fag end. The debate thus concluded just as it began, with hostility. In the end, Indian political enthusiasts will justifiably be disappointed at the paucity of new information that emerged from this academic debate. Yet truth was told at least in part to the Philadelphia audience.
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

Rahul Mehta wrote:
negi wrote:After results were declared Lauh Purush showed his class when he said that we need to analyze if this victory was due to Modi wave or something else;
Modi-wave was reality -- but the question is who created the wave? Was it RSS, BJP, VHP etc volunteers who created that wave? Or were it paid-mediamen who created that wave? And who had paid those mediamen? Indian elitemen or American elitemen or or Korean elitemen or Japanese elitemen? If wave was created by elitemen, then elitemen would first force all neta to invest all their lives savings into their companies' shares and bonds. So now these neta are slaves of these elitemen.

The wave was created by American elitemen. Now American elitemen saw that if they penetrate into Indian mining sector and economy bigtime, then there will be uproar due to xenophobia in India. So American elitemen (aka MNC-owners) would first let Japanese\Korean elitemen capture Indian mines, Indian economy etc. And then these companies will get bought over by American elitemen, and this American elitemem would own sizeable chunk of Indian minerals and economy.

Congress wanted to give away Indian economy directly to American elitemen. Whereas NaMo's plan seems to be first give away Indian economy to Japanese elitemen, and from there, it may pass to whom-so-ever Japanese elitemen want. So this is the ONLY difference between "visions" of Congress and NaMo.

So "growth and development via Japanese capital" is all that NaMo could come up with. He doesnt seem to have ANY method by which we Indians can grow WITHOUT external help. Now those who think that American elitemen were bad, and Japanese elitemen are good should read more on war in Nanjing and other areas.

All in alll --- if Japanese elitemen are X% less bad than American elitemen, then NaMo will be X% less bad than Congress. If Japanese elitemen are as bad as American elitemen, then the difference between Congress and NaMo will be near zero. The solution I propose is that we Indians should grow WITHOUT any help from videshi - be American or Japanese. Its possible using OST means. The OST solutions on how we can stop Japanese elitemen are at https://www.facebook.com/mehtarahulc/po ... 0971096922

=====
SaiK wrote:sauchaalya, roads, electricity, water, living, construction, etc all are should be from standardized package for the whole nation. like download the package and install local. no terminal homing and shoming needed. it is just a deployment overlapped with dynamic interconnection of things. standardization is the only way to reach global level good governance for desh. never focus on a local entity, unless that local entity feedsback corrections that applies for all, to improve the standards.
Three important questions are --- (1) where to get money from and (2) who builds them --- whether Indians or foreigners. (3) what will be ongoing on maitenance costs and where will that come from

If foreigners are building flyovers, metro. monorail etc, then it will be a heavenly road to hell only.

====

Those who hate my posts,

I am writing less than ONE post per day. So please dont complaint to admins like some crybabies . I am NOT spamming this thread like Modi-bhagats keep spamming with posts like "how he cried, how he talked, how he walked, how he touched the steps of Parliament House etc etc". Please put me in ignore list if you cant bear my posts. But please dont cry before admins.
Appreciate the contrary view. It will keep us thinking and on the right path. Thanks
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

SaiK wrote:you can use the word drama, but you can twist the event as drama. be careful to support MSM with sweeping statements!

MSM is going to have hard time now, to convert to non-dork-ness, and report as is rather continue on twist agenda
You accuse me of supporting MSM? :rotfl: heights...
Anantha
BRFite

Post by Anantha »

Rahul Mehta Bhai
There is no question of disliking you or having ill feelings.
I have followed you for a number of years. Even though I post less, except when there is action, I have read BRF practically every day from even before POK2 testing. Your posts used to provide so much insight, but currently it is about only one theme MNC/Missionary. Most of us definitely know the odds that Hindus are up against, but find your posts repetitive. So please try to analyze differently, you can contribute at a very high level.
P.S: I lived in Gandhinagar before and I know quite a bit about your efforts to clean up the system.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Rahul Mehta ji,

You wish to put a 20% exit tax on gold and silver and equal tax in SEZ or outside SEZ for companies.

Putting exit tax on gold will open arbitrage opportunity for smugglers. Just like Morarji desai put tax on gold imports which spawned Dawood and others, the exit tax will keep them in business.

Within India gold will cost x + 20%x. Overseas, it will cost x. But with the insatiable appetite for gold that Indians have the value overseas will have to rise to meet the demand thus going to x+20%x. As India does not produce gold, the cost of settling transactions will rise for Indians. I have alluded to this idea of settlement of debts elsewhere so won't bore you. But to give a rough overview, the way I see it, there will be no trade deficits countries like USA or Eurozone can maintain vis-a-vis manufacturers in the east. They will settle their debts using currency and gold. This will involve sending gold to overseas jurisdiction as much as importing if need be.

The Indian entrepreneur will be penalised unnecessarily. Why tax gold. Why not just tax the profit beyond a certain point?
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

negi wrote:
Gus wrote: jayalalitha regime in early 90s, her first one, was the most horrible one term rule by an CM of any indian state.
I beg to differ sir YSR's tenure in AP from 2004 onwards is the most devastating one; the termite servant and his cabal have eaten AP inside out . A lot of people from AP say that Satyam was sunk single handedly by this chootiy@ there is virtually no business in AP that does not indirectly fill YSR/Jagan's coffers . These guys are also responsible for worsening naxal situation in AP for they sit on thousands of acres of land heck I have heard that even HSR layout here in Bangalore was originally owned by YSR family and builders like Mantri actually run on black cash funneled by these guys.

These neo converts are very dangerous , Amma in comparison is an old school control freak however unlike the Reddy clan she does not plunder her own house for her personal gains . TN overall has done well under Amma than DMK . I don't know what were locals in AP thinking when they voted out TDP and got YSR in power or may be what I have heard from AP friends is true i.e. they spent money like water (even in this GE I heard that Jagan's party gave 2-3k per person for voting their party).
It a fallacy that the government alone can drive EJ's. EJ's have many strategies and will just switch to alternatives. We need ground level activities separate from the government to impact EJ activity. Any expectation from GOI in this regard will only weaken the government. They should not interfere in religious activities but at the same time they should enable them.