Narendra Modi vs the Dynasty: Contrasting Ideas of India

Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Re: Narendra Modi vs the Dynasty: Contrasting Ideas of India

Post by Yagnasri »

Speaking in Hindi crate a major identity thing which russians, chipanda, french and others take by speaking their respective national one. Delibarately done even while having capacily to speak in English .

Time to speak in Hindi in all international interactions with translators sitting along with you.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

IIRC, HAL makes aircraft doors for airbus and weapons bay doors for Boeing (P-8I).
member_28173
BRFite

Post by member_28173 »

[quote="Narayana Rao"]http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new ... 26136.aspx

When has BR become Politically Correct to use simple word like "Disappoint" for Such a ******** crime of visiting US

Yes I was Never for Modi4PM. If I write what-scum-MODI sounds to me. It would Considered HATE Speech on BR
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

KJoishy wrote:I disagree with this. Language chauvinism is silly, Mulayam Singh Yadav used to do this and then he coolly sent his son Akhilesh to Mysore for Engineering in English language. Actor Rajkumar used to organize strikes in Karnataka to demand impositionof Kannada medium and his kids went to an English boarding school in Chennai or Ooty.

If a foreign leader can speak English, Modi should speak the same. His English is not bad, he can express himself pretty well.
He should express himself in the language he is most fluent in...Modi understands English well but the fluency in speaking does not reach the heights he has attained in Hindi.

Its less about chauvinism, and more about effectiveness in communication.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

chandturakhia wrote:
Narayana Rao wrote:http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new ... 26136.aspx

When has BR become Politically Correct to use simple word like "Disappoint" for Such a ******** crime of visiting US

Yes I was Never for Modi4PM. If I write what-scum-MODI sounds to me. It would Considered HATE Speech on BR
"HATE SPEECH" is a libaral word and banned on BR :rotfl:

Seriously sir, I my self wrote again NM recently in this tread it self. I for once do not support NM without seeing his actions. If I feel he is doing something wrong I and many of us hear will oppose him. Support for NM is not due to any presonal liking or anything, but for his ideas and record. Many like me feel that he can do good for nation. If he fails and there is a better alternative then we will support that alternative. We are not like loyal Rahul for PM gang.

I do hope you are not one of them. :D
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Narayana Rao wrote:http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new ... 26136.aspx

If true, this is a major disappoint by NM. There is nothing from US to show that there do not continue with "get NM work". Then why do things like this? May be NM knows things we do not know, may be he is being "pragmatic' may be in a forget and forgive mood. We may never know his true reasons.
In order to start diplomacy with China, Modi needs the bargaining chip of being in communication with the US. That's probably the biggest reason.
kshirin
BRFite

Post by kshirin »

The Govt should go for 100% Offsets and not 100% FDI. I agree that it will undermine the baby steps of Indian private sector in defence production. Will give feedback to PMO also. Great idea. But will they reach him given 1.2 billion people may be sending feedbacK?

Neo-liberals seem to be ruling the roost still. With "RBI nod", Azim Premji is investing billions abroad when his own country could do with the funds. Sharad Sharma of product Nation has pointed this out. Time for some nationalism to sweep out the neo-liberals.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tec ... 965812.cms

Armed with RBI nod, Azim Premji to invest in tech companies in China, US

...Experts like Sharad Sharma, an angel investor himself, said Premji Invest would be better off focusing on early-stage investments in India and growth-stage opportunities in the US. "People in the Valley don't want passive money in early stages and it's going to be tough for them (Premji Invest) to compete there," Sharma said."
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

I agree Arjun. With the Sino-Russian axis the US is going to need us more than ever. We can play both sides and strengthen our own position. We should secure the neighborhood and let the two poles duke it out. We will come out stronger than both in the end.
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

Come on guys, its not like most of us really expected him to sulk like a petulant child with regard to USA. He had said that he would not let personal factors cloud his judgment about USA. As for the ongoing diplomatic spat, that will continue as needed regardless of his visit and such. He has not taken any steps to lessen the pressure (whatever little we are applying) on the US diplomatic community in India and I do not see him doing so without getting anything in return.

So please, spare us the outrage. Behaving like North Korea is sometimes fun and even required, but most of the time it just makes them look like weird idiots.
prahaar
BRF Oldie

Post by prahaar »

Narayana Rao wrote:Speaking in Hindi crate a major identity thing which russians, chipanda, french and others take by speaking their respective national one. Delibarately done even while having capacily to speak in English .

Time to speak in Hindi in all international interactions with translators sitting along with you.
Also allows managing body language focus etc. in the conversation. In SAARC neighborhood, NS does not have an ace up via speaking Punjabi (NM has worked in Punjab many years, I hope he has picked up at least some language), all the rest can do the same reverse swing on NM.

There was a TV documentary which showed how Putin uses his English + Euro language skills to buy extra time by speaking in Russian.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

No more English, Modi chooses Hindi for talks with foreign leaders
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, it appears, has taken a call to hold his diplomatic conversations in Hindi, with interpreters being deployed in almost all his meetings, including those where the dignitary on the other side speaks in English.

to help us personalise your reading experience.

While Modi is quite conversant in English given that many New Delhi-based diplomats have met him and never found language to be an impediment, sources said he seems to have decided to stick to the national language in his interactions. That he is reasonably comfortable with the English language is clear by the fact that interpreters are not required to translate from English to Hindi.
While some may disagree with this but I see it as a good step. I hope others including Secretaries follow suit. Interpreters could be employed for interactions. Elsewhere I had pointed out, perhaps in language thread , that in other countries , like Japan, Europe official business is done in their own language. During meetings and Training they had employed Japanese interpreters even though all officials were well conversant with English. Same with Berlin, France and Spain. After office business they would gladly speak english. I hope same pattern is followed in India and different states. There would be employment potential due to this field opening up. And yes we can always dispute the meaning ascribed by western media to words in Hindi or regional language in diplospeak while it become difficult to do so in English. This language is prone to misinterpretation by western countries as they feel they have the last words on the meanings of the words , which are generally in their context and not in India context.

There was another interesting news-item that Armed forces will have greater say in decision making and Babuz can not take decisions without consultation from Top army officials. A good step and indeed BRF members wanted it.

I see Hon'ble PM taking good steps in right direction.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Karan M wrote: Concrete examples? :rotfl:

Why are you even debating this issue when by your own admission you don't particularly understand or even follow the military forum?

There are threads there which have tracked specific examples of glaring malfeasance and you want to be spoonfed information when told explicitly that it is not in Indian interests to debate specific manners in which specific Indian programs can be harmed by these actions and also, that by naming the organizations responsible for having committed dodgy stuff in the past (some of which are active), there are wider repercussions.

Boss, go do some reading, talk to people, step out of your own cocoon, in whatever field you are, but are completely unaware of the dirt, or the elbow grease that percolates or makes the Indian defence sector, where there are hard won successes as well. One doesn't even have to be in the field directly to be aware of the details of many of the things being discussed.

I am not going to spend any more time making nice "Ten minute presentations" for you either..

Ah, so now you get the point in bold. That is all, zimble. Nothing more.

Regarding corruption, the amount of corruption in India dwarfs that in other countries which is what makes laws and relying on them infeasible. That is the point. You were saying laws will do the trick, when coupled with policy relaxation, as they will hedge the risks - but practise tells us they wont.

You need to retain current policy of not allowing foreign acquisitions instead and stick to it.

Instead of making complex laws which you can't enforce anyhow. Try arm twisting the French when your privates are in their hands thanks to the Mirage/Rafale/Milan etc. A few months delay in spares and our serviceability will go from 80% to 40%, and so does our warmaking potential, and India can't replace $130 Mn aircraft either.. such is the way of the arms trade.

Arre bhai Abdul Kalam of BRF, triple Ph.D. in defense, next time I will take your permission when I write on BRF. You still haven't been able to provide any concrete evidence in support of your blanket opposition to FDI in defense. Without evidence I will call it CT. A new thread has been started on mil. forum. I will follow the discussion. So no more posts here from me.
member_28025
BRFite

Post by member_28025 »

I am glad NaMo is conversant in English as he will easily be able to pick up a mistake in translation by the interpreter. I am so wary these days, I won't be surprised if Congies bribe to interpreter to say wrong things.
member_28173
BRFite

Post by member_28173 »

Should BRF have "Shadow Ministry" ?

Vague Idea revolves around
(Step 1) Re-organizing the BRF Threads as per as Every Ministry of Namo.
(Step 2) Weekly roundup of Editorial of the Thread. Moderators can help. #WeekThatShouldHadBeen. Basically Saying BRF appreciates what you do but we would have the same with this DELTA difference.
(Step 3) Create Different BRF Handles for each Ministy and 1 general BRF handle ( Social Media Activitism processes be refined)
(Step 4) Choose appropriate Wording-for-the BRF-tweet of the week.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

english fetish will be balanced with nation's PM choosing to speak in hindi. where is chauvinism here.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

Gus wrote:english fetish will be balanced with nation's PM choosing to speak in hindi. where is chauvinism here.
Agreed. I would like all Indian leaders to do the same as well. Within India state CMs can speak either in their language or in any other Indian language. Ex: Jayalalitha can speak to KN CM not in English as they do nowadays but in Kannada (JJ knows Kannada) or Tamil (if the Kannada CM knows Tamil).

Next step, we should make all English medium schools teach non Maths / Science subjects in Indian languages. History, Geography and Civics can and should be taught in Indian languages. At the same time, we should continue with English as the language for Maths and Science and make all our students learn English as a second language. We are not currently and need not become anti-English.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

JJ also knows hindi
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

Buzzword from Delhi circle is that government babu machinery's has started functioning from 9 am as boss pm is in office by that time. So heartwarming to see people working in same fashion as private sector.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Well it is 8AM to 9PM including Saturdays. 100 Days agenda is currently driving the Babudom. Those who fail to perform in 100 days are goner. e-Governance , file tracking and microfilming etc are in thing.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

schinnas wrote:
Gus wrote:english fetish will be balanced with nation's PM choosing to speak in hindi. where is chauvinism here.
Agreed. I would like all Indian leaders to do the same as well. Within India state CMs can speak either in their language or in any other Indian language. Ex: Jayalalitha can speak to KN CM not in English as they do nowadays but in Kannada (JJ knows Kannada) or Tamil (if the Kannada CM knows Tamil).

Next step, we should make all English medium schools teach non Maths / Science subjects in Indian languages. History, Geography and Civics can and should be taught in Indian languages. At the same time, we should continue with English as the language for Maths and Science and make all our students learn English as a second language. We are not currently and need not become anti-English.
If you start setting up question papers in Hindi and other Schedule 8 Languages english fetish will slowly fade away. Talking in one's own languagae ( official language of the states) will certainly give rise to Interpreter/Translator sector and big demand with more employment opportunities. Language course would get prominence.

May be its time BRF should give option to post in schedule 8 languages and auto translation in respective languages .
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Sorrowful tidings of long staying non-locals, liberals and/of Lytons,
New Delhi.

Evil and hard times are here due to stupid elections we need to conduct once in every 5 years. Pity we can not have permanent NAC rule under family as long as family survives.

No long weekends, 9 to 9 work, no golf, no chai-pani (total evil fellow - having sold Tea he should at least know that we need Chai-pani on regular basis :rotfl: ) and no leader of opposition, checking at airports, no gora nations to visit, no buildings with 5 Acre land. All simple and goods things are lost.

This is why we asked the nation not to vote for this fellow. We told Sampath to his best to stop him. Peaceful votes were also gathered. In the end, about 62% of nation has agreed with us and not voted for him and his supporters. :P

But it proved why we are right in being sickular. God is not a leftist jhola/mafia/EJ fellow. :rotfl:

Further his follower are now becoming aggressive and filing court cases etc (To quote Dune - Him - whose followers make drums from the skins of his enemies :twisted: ). Make it pulp seems to be the buzzword.

We need long trip to EU pity we need to pay for fare and very long stay there - there seems to be too many poor people there for us to do our Jhola work. Hope Putin don't spoil out part by starting some war. :rotfl:
Last edited by Yagnasri on 05 Jun 2014 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

:(( :(( :((
Never knew what we are getting into when I voted for him and persuaded whole family to vote for NDA .
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

Tough questions form part of Narendra Modi's plan to vet performance of top bureaucrats

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 076065.cms

For those who thought that Modi was gonna go soft on congi chamchas in the bureaucracy:-

"Neutrality or political non-allegiance" is another key factor being analysed for bureaucrats who are holding senior positions in the government, the official quoted earlier said. Many bureaucrats right now in secretary-level and other senior positions are perceived to be close to the erstwhile UPA government since it was in power for the last decade and had appointed all of them to these posts.
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

Do away with archaic rules, will back you: Prime Minister Narendra Modi tells bureaucrats

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 067519.cms
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

Modi to secys: Give list of laws that can be scrapped for fast decisions
“Give me 10 laws each in your department, which we can repeal,” the Prime Minister is learnt to have told the secretaries of all ministries and departments who met him Wednesday evening at his office.
The PM said through use of information technology, administrative and schematic convergence among departments is possible. “Only through collective action faster results can be achieved,” he said explaining why he had converged some ministries. Modi asked the bureaucracy to work on the implementation of policies by creating long lasting institutions and simplified governance structures. The secretaries will be later called in groups to make presentations on their departments.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Modi visiting US in September, a hug with Ombaba followed by lappi jhappi and some conversation on UN seat?
Why so early?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

he is visiting UN general assembly not a bilateral trip to US. gives him a chance to meet p5, japan, soko, brazil movers n shakers not just obama.
Virendra
BRFite

Post by Virendra »

ashish raval wrote:Buzzword from Delhi circle is that government babu machinery's has started functioning from 9 am as boss pm is in office by that time. So heartwarming to see people working in same fashion as private sector.
There used to be a saying to depict two polarities of old times and modern democracies.
Old times - Yatha Rājā Tat Prajā (As is the King, so are his people)
Modern Democracy- Yatha Prajā Tat Rājā (As are the people, so is their King)

Going by that diference, seems the wind is blowing unusual these days in our democracy. :D
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

so i wonder what was MMS doing in office so early and so late with people around him ??
Virendra
BRFite

Post by Virendra »

Gus ji,

When Russians speak Russian, it is their free will, originality of culture and strength and what not.
When Hindustanis speak Hindi, it is chauvinism.
Wonder how we can respect Sanskrit, with that kind of attitude.
member_28025
BRFite

Post by member_28025 »

krishnan wrote:so i wonder what was MMS doing in office so early and so late with people around him ??
Offering prayers to the Gandhi family. :wink:
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

matrimc wrote:panduranghari: Two points -

1. Why do you think we are not playing dirty?

2. There are other issues which I will detail in another post, but in short, would you believe "data" (say "yield") and "initial conditions and material propeties" under which the "yield data" has been produced? What about machining tolerances? Response times?
I agree. Nothing beats building up from bottoms up. I am just curious if the adharmik option was explored.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Virendra wrote:
Gus ji,

When Russians speak Russian, it is their free will, originality of culture and strength and what not.
When Hindustanis speak Hindi, it is chauvinism.
Wonder how we can respect Sanskrit, with that kind of attitude.
Yup! At least some people will realize the greatness of their own language! No one opposes English, but to say English is the be-all and end-all like many do is unbearable. I was also reading some comments in many newspapers during elections when many didn't want to vote for Modi because he doesn't speak fluent english! That is the level of discourse today unfortunately!
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Better not to mess with languages IMO. Leave it for now. Unless everyone speaks and produces univ papers in Sanskrit, we will be opening a can of worms. In the meantime no point in highlighting that Indians speak in different languages.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Supratik wrote:
Karan M wrote: Concrete examples? :rotfl:

Why are you even debating this issue when by your own admission you don't particularly understand or even follow the military forum?

There are threads there which have tracked specific examples of glaring malfeasance and you want to be spoonfed information when told explicitly that it is not in Indian interests to debate specific manners in which specific Indian programs can be harmed by these actions and also, that by naming the organizations responsible for having committed dodgy stuff in the past (some of which are active), there are wider repercussions.

Boss, go do some reading, talk to people, step out of your own cocoon, in whatever field you are, but are completely unaware of the dirt, or the elbow grease that percolates or makes the Indian defence sector, where there are hard won successes as well. One doesn't even have to be in the field directly to be aware of the details of many of the things being discussed.

I am not going to spend any more time making nice "Ten minute presentations" for you either..

Ah, so now you get the point in bold. That is all, zimble. Nothing more.

Regarding corruption, the amount of corruption in India dwarfs that in other countries which is what makes laws and relying on them infeasible. That is the point. You were saying laws will do the trick, when coupled with policy relaxation, as they will hedge the risks - but practise tells us they wont.

You need to retain current policy of not allowing foreign acquisitions instead and stick to it.

Instead of making complex laws which you can't enforce anyhow. Try arm twisting the French when your privates are in their hands thanks to the Mirage/Rafale/Milan etc. A few months delay in spares and our serviceability will go from 80% to 40%, and so does our warmaking potential, and India can't replace $130 Mn aircraft either.. such is the way of the arms trade.

Arre bhai Abdul Kalam of BRF, triple Ph.D. in defense, next time I will take your permission when I write on BRF. You still haven't been able to provide any concrete evidence in support of your blanket opposition to FDI in defense. Without evidence I will call it CT. A new thread has been started on mil. forum. I will follow the discussion. So no more posts here from me.
Arre Supratik bhai, I dont even compare to you sire, meri gustakhi maaf karo.

After all you are a self proclaimed great in your own field with a quadruple Ph. D. (remarkable similarity to how OFB self attests its own quality in the name of efficient QA, never mind what the customers make of that self attestation), equivalent to Modi himself per your own words (poor chap only runs the entire country after all) so you definitely don't need to take my permission to post anything on BRF.

We all exist at your mercy, to satisfy your whims and desires.

I have already provided enough evidence to support my opposition to **100% FDI in defence** - and several others have been able to understand exactly what I said.

Nice try in attempting to twist what I said as equivalent to blanket opposition to FDI itself as versus majority foreign ownership, but then again, you were unable to even understand even an article on the topic noted and were misconstruing that as well, so no surprise there.

I even mentioned a specific example where the system was gamed in order to hold off on ammunition development until overexpensive, underperforming rounds were ordered to meet a requirement that was artificially created.

I also pointed out that the Defence Forum has had multiple discussions over how imports and agendas are pushed with misinformation - actually one such discussion is ongoing re: the ALH as well.

But apparently, it seems I must condense a decade's worth of information into some nice little soundbytes and hand it to you.

This after your own admission, that you were unaware of the topic in question, and yet you make snide remarks on other posters and then insisted that they satisfy your whims.

I merely pointed out that I would not wish to put up with your pomposity and what you wish to call what as ("RM", "CT", I great, you bad etc etc).

Please go ahead & follow any discussion you wish. It may actually do you good and you'll stop wasting my time at least.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.niticentral.com/2014/06/05/1 ... 30856.html
10 days of Modi Sarkar vs UPA’s 10-year misrule

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modi’s Council of Ministers is made of substantive women power, this Lok Sabha has the highest number of women MPs. Of 543 MPs, 62 are women, up from 58 women in the previous Lok Sabha

"I am sure this Lok Sabha will see a new beginning. We have to get out of the cynicism and constant references to past as to how Parliament was stalled and how frequently," she said. Anupriya

Shashi Tharoor's article in Huffington Post How Narendra Modi May Have Evolved into 'Modi 2.0' where he sees Modi in a new avatar and his undiluted appreciation for him for Modi's actions since 16 May is big talk in the power corridors.

"He is doing whole lot of thing which needs to be appreciated. I can't criticise him just because I am in Congress party. The way he has approached North East is a very positive thing by itself - He has made a good beginning as PM, I don’t have any hesitation in accepting that," Ering

The new Parliament, however, opens with one grim reminder that 68 bills lapsed in 15th Lok Sabha including Direct Taxes Code Bill and Judicial Standards and Accountability Bill. There are 60 bills pending in Rajya Sabha.

Modi will take a leaf from Vajpayee government and will be receptive to popular concerns and opposition’s demands. That communication between the treasury benches and opposition will be re-established

http://www.firstpost.com/politics/16th- ... 58235.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Virendra wrote:
ashish raval wrote:Buzzword from Delhi circle is that government babu machinery's has started functioning from 9 am as boss pm is in office by that time. So heartwarming to see people working in same fashion as private sector.
There used to be a saying to depict two polarities of old times and modern democracies.
Old times - Yatha Rājā Tat Prajā (As is the King, so are his people)
Modern Democracy- Yatha Prajā Tat Rājā (As are the people, so is their King)

Going by that diference, seems the wind is blowing unusual these days in our democracy. :D
You need to read Atriji's story of the sheep and shepherd in the other thread.....

It was always the latter. Only in special case it was inverted.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

KJoishy wrote:I wonder if Shashi Tharoor is trying to kiss up to Modi to get a mantri job in his Govt.
Forget Mantri job. He is just trying to save his ass. He is one of the suspects in his wife's murder.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Contrasting Ideas

NaMo chooses to speak in Hindi even though his mother tongue is Gujarati. He follows Constitution of India to the dot.\
PART XVII
OFFICIAL LANGUAGE CHAPTER I.—LANGUAGE OF THE UNION

343. Official language of the Union.

—(1) The official language of the Union shall be Hindi in Devanagari script. The form of numerals to be used for the official purposes of the Union shall be the international form of Indian numerals.

(2) Notwithstanding anything in clause (1), for a period of fifteen years from the commencement of this Constitution, the English language shall continue to be used for all the official purposes of the Union for which it was being used immediately before such commencement:
Provided that the President may, during the said period, by order authorise the use of the Hindi language in addition to the English language and of the Devanagari form of numerals in addition to the international form of Indian numerals for any of the official purposes of the Union.
(3) Notwithstanding anything in this article, Parliament may by law provide for the use, after the said period of fifteen years, of—
(a) the English language, or
(b) the Devanagari form of numerals,for such purposes as may be specified in the law.
And it is generating such heat on Headlines Today. Rahul Kanwal's Khujli is duly noted. He is fearing rerun of AntiHindi agitation just because NaMo spoke in Hindi in connection with official businesses of the Union of India.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »