Narendra Modi vs the Dynasty: Contrasting Ideas of India

JohnTitor
BRFite

Re: Narendra Modi vs the Dynasty: Contrasting Ideas of India

Post by JohnTitor »

^^ Agreed. You can't force efficiency onto people. Incentivise them and make it a loss for those who achieve less. Each year the govt should cull the bottom 10% of the workforce based on performance. Watch how everyone suddenly becomes efficient.

This is a method used in several investment banks in the west.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

^^
Govt. is not an investment bank, and there are well defined departmental rules for termination of services.
Offices are not factory floors.
Indira Gandhi once made a suggestion that certain components of pay be slashed for Sunday's. Military brass responded that then in case of invasions on Sunday, they will take action commensurate with their worth on Sundays in GoI eyes.

BTW why 10%? Why not 50% of the bottom lot?
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

10% is what is used in IBs as I said, it's not something I made up. The reason I believe this figure is used is that it is not a significantly high number to create a huge morale issue. But it is large enough for "fresh blood" to replace poor performers.

You are right in stating the the govt is not an IB. However, this I feel is one issue. central/state govt employees have a job for life irrespective of their performance. This isn't the case in any of the developed countries. Sure it is a job for life, but you still need to perform.

If not 10%, at least 3% would do the trick.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

^^

No its not job for life, but the filtration model has to be a fair one.

Armed forces model is a good one. Years of service and professional qualifications (courses) are the basis for way up when promotions are time bound. After that one either gets promoted via selection or quits when superseded by subsequent entries (batch in civilian lingo). This is better model than 10% slotting used in industry.

The 10% model in the industry (at least in IT) doesn't takes into account the cumulative experience, and hence is not a rational model.

PS: 50% remark was in jest. Industry norms are just, to put it mildly, minimize capital cost with no long term vision. Not worth emulating.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

IndraD wrote:
Shamlee wrote: Image

A secular version of Modi, of course it doesn't matter he opposed Narmada dam nor does it matter he attacked BJP openly & supported AAP 2 months ago

I think its eating crow time for Amir Khan after all that bad things he had to say about Modi and Gujarat. What will his supporters feel now? In my view its Amir Khan how has lost and is with NaMo crying uncle despite his aunty being the minority affairs minster.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

this push on attendance and hrs is good. it forces a change in culture and routine, coming on the back of years and years of casualness and tardiness etc. i don't think anybody is arguing for this to continue on long hours for now on forever.

but given the huge pileup of work, in major part due to not putting in hrs (and efficiency) by babus, they should not crib about it if they have to put in hours for a few months.

a shakeup is needed like this. simply telling people to be efficient won't make them so.

pretty soon, the smart ones will figure out how to work out an efficient system of work and they can then bargain for lesser hours. personally, whenever i lead a team, i follow this model, where after initial crunch phases, the smart ones learn how to get work done in less time and take time off while the 'slower' ones tend to stay back or take work home.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Namo is getting top Actors of Bollywood to possibly change the kind of movies they make to mould and entertain at a higher level than the LCD of public opinion and of using Bollywood as a tool to get tourism and form cross cultural long term impact. All with a purpose with the countries interests in mind. It also will be to wean away funding from ME sources to more Indic ones. Influence. Don't be petty about it. B'wood whether one likes it or not commands a huge influence abroad.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

APJKalam missile man said in one of the iviews that overstay in office decreases efficiency
You are comparing rocket scientists with babu's !! Which part of babu work comes remotely close to what a electricity board engineers or engineering designer or even a chartered accountant do on a daily basis ? What do they do with file ! Read understand and sign ! Is that a job comparable to what DRDO/isro scientists do who can understandably burn out if they work more than ten hours in a highly numerical environment. I doubt babu's go through 20% of what rocket scientist go through.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

harbans wrote:Namo is getting top Actors of Bollywood to possibly change the kind of movies they make to mould and entertain at a higher level than the LCD of public opinion and of using Bollywood as a tool to get tourism and form cross cultural long term impact. All with a purpose with the countries interests in mind. It also will be to wean away funding from ME sources to more Indic ones. Influence. Don't be petty about it. B'wood whether one likes it or not commands a huge influence abroad.
Do you mean Bollywood getting respect abroad ? Where !! Can you stop ten white or black people in street and ask them to name five Bollywood actors ! I can bet none of ten will be able to answer five names. Bollywood influence abroad is an illusion. It is only influential with Indian origin (read south asian) living abroad or pio or nri. It is only chai biscuit and feel good topic just like weather is which cuts across entertainment space. Indian classical music with fusion with legends in the past were much more influential and people knew them more that bacchans or khans. Scratch the surface and Bollywood popularity is myth.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

^Abroad doesn't necessarily mean "west".

Bollywood commands surprisingly high name and fame recognition everywhere from Tunisia to Central Asia to Malaysia. Even places like Russia and Japan have non-PIO fan communities for niche output. Believe it or not.

I recall while checking into a hotel in Istanbul with my colleagues, one of whom shares a last name with a contemporary, famous Hindi Playback singer (singer, not actor!) the female check-in clerk immediately recognized and asked if s/he knew the singer. Yup, first hand info only.
Shanmukh
BRF Oldie

Post by Shanmukh »

Hari Seldon wrote:^Abroad doesn't necessarily mean "west".

Bollywood commands surprisingly high name and fame recognition everywhere from Tunisia to Central Asia to Malaysia. Even places like Russia and Japan have non-PIO fan communities for niche output. Believe it or not.

I recall while checking into a hotel in Istanbul with my colleagues, one of whom shares a last name with a contemporary, famous Hindi Playback singer (singer, not actor!) the female check-in clerk immediately recognized and asked if s/he knew the singer. Yup, first hand info only.
There are plenty of East Europeans, particularly the older generation, who remember Bollywood and follow it all over the place. I have known an Israeli security guard of East European extraction enthusiastically asking me about Raj Kapoor (apparently, Bootpolish was a huge hit in Eastern Europe at the time. Also, Serbs and Romanians have hummed Mera Joota hai Japani when I was around..
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Hari Seldon wrote:^Abroad doesn't necessarily mean "west".

Seldon saaheb is right. I am amazed how many cabbies and other business people I have met who are from Africa, Middle East, Central Asia who love Amitabh Bachchan, Shammi Kapoor, Dev Anand etc. Interestingly they dont like the modern Hindi movie as much because they just copy Hollywood.

If you are talking about US (west), people here cannot name even 5 people outside US.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

people undersetimate Indian movies influence.

our movies command a larger market share in terms of population seeing them but the value of it is less than hollywood due to price differnece.

----------------------------------------------------
Believe it or not- it is a huge soft power for India just as hollywood is for wetern powers(mainy usa).

wherever hollwood has set its footprints it has demolished local films industry- asia europe and americas- most of the countries.

Only in India it is lagging behind depsite english movies being shown for decades- with excellent movies making capabillties.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
member_28025
BRFite

Post by member_28025 »

OT but can't resist from commenting. In Switzerland, bollywood dancing has become very popular, so much so that goras are joining bollywood dance classes. There is a Swiss lady who is giving bollywood dance lessons. She is not good at all, but the goras don't know the difference. She has several pictures of herself with Amitabh Bachchan, SRK and other bollywood celebreties and proudly shows them to her students.

Whenever a bollywood film is projected, several goras are present. One German colleague was telling me that his wife (also German) was crazy about bollywood movies and watches them all the time.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Iview of APJKalam was regarding general work culture and not specific on rocket scientists, I shall try to dig it out, it was on DD

@shamlee ji v interesting to know
arminius
BRFite

Post by arminius »

Shamlee wrote:OT but can't resist from commenting. In Switzerland, bollywood dancing has become very popular, so much so that goras are joining bollywood dance classes. There is a Swiss lady who is giving bollywood dance lessons. She is not good at all, but the goras don't know the difference. She has several pictures of herself with Amitabh Bachchan, SRK and other bollywood celebreties and proudly shows them to her students.

Whenever a bollywood film is projected, several goras are present. One German colleague was telling me that his wife (also German) was crazy about bollywood movies and watches them all the time.
In Teutonia as well desi movies have a decent following, especially among women. In fact a cable channel shows desi films regularly during the weekends. Unfortunately,, most of the movies shown have Shahrukh Khan in lead.
sunnyP
BRFite

Post by sunnyP »

harbans wrote:Namo is getting top Actors of Bollywood to possibly change the kind of movies they make to mould and entertain at a higher level than the LCD of public opinion and of using Bollywood as a tool to get tourism and form cross cultural long term impact. All with a purpose with the countries interests in mind. It also will be to wean away funding from ME sources to more Indic ones. Influence. Don't be petty about it. B'wood whether one likes it or not commands a huge influence abroad.
Not every move or statement by Modi has to have such deep meaning to it. Yes Modi is an accomplished politician but that doesn't mean his every act is part of some kind of Chanakya Niti.
KLP Dubey
BRFite

Post by KLP Dubey »

I wish the first thing that happens is for the English media to stop calling the Indian film industry "Bollywood". Even Amitabh Bachchan has criticized this entirely unoriginal ripoff of the Hollywood name. Can't find a better name, dumba$$es ? Similarly the English media morons (especially NDTV) have starting calling INC as the "GOP" or "Grand Old Party" in imitation of the Republican party of USA.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

^^^^
many of the fascination for uncle and its assoretd chelas will come down if the language used is one of the Indic ones.
using Indic ones one gets exposed to the local cultural themes and storeis which will egt a life of its own.
many will start relating to local stories and words etc.
Rahul Mehta
BRF Oldie

Post by Rahul Mehta »

Salman Khan ke achche din aa gaye (good days have come to Salman Khan)

Bit is witness turning hostile related to BJP\NaMo? Yes, it is.

If BJP\RSS\Sena-workers were raising hell on Salman's issues, then Salman would have been in prison for 10 years by now for drunk driving and running over.

The main reason why BJP\RSS\Sena workers are NOT raising hell on Salman Khan's cases is because Salman Khan and his father Salim Khan supported NaMo\BJP. And in so return. BJP-apex is ensuring that BJP\RSS\Sena workers stay quite.. Salman's supports got a few Muslim votes to NaMo, not much, but it did help BJP\NaMo in ensuring that Muslim voters do NOT consolidate all against BJP\NaMo !!

So Salman Khan and Salim Khan help BJP\NaMo in reducing overall electoral damage to BJP\NaMo, which is a effectively a gain to BJP\NaMo. And in return, BJP\NaMo ensure that BJP\RSS\Sena workers stay quite on Salman Khan's cases.

Over and above votes, many Ministers including BJP Ministers are big investors in Bollywood, and Salman's movies have fetched them crores of rupees. So it isnt just votes. Salman is walking money-making machine.

So when Salman flew kites with NaMo, and when Salim Khan praised NaMo using his sophistry and elegant language, this is was just another day in 10000 year old history of "give and take" aka "sell outs". And while sell-outs have been norm for past 10000 years and will remain so, but that doesnt mean problems cant be reduced. The Americans have PROVED that problem of rash driving can be reduced. And they have reduced it using OSF-law-drafts.

But moral of "silence of BJP\RSS\Sena-workers on Salman Khan;s case is " --- those who want such hit and run problems to reduce should stop NaMo-andhbhakti and start working on OSF-law-drafts that can reduce the mess.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

^^^there are a million hit and run cases per year
how many cases does RSS et all created humgama?
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

all his tweets seems to show he is not even part of the govt, or atleast looks like it
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Where are Pradeep Sharma, Teesta and other suspects, not a peep from them these days. Looks like they want to stay low profile lest IB opens their file.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

For what happened to Teesta and her gang - Please read this cross post from Modi Sarkar and enjoy. Many may accept with advise of BJP MP from Bihar and run to paki land.

Cross Post:
Modi seem to have put his foot down for the appointment of Subramanyan as a judge of Supreme Court. He would have ended up as a Chief Justice of India with seniority rule. A DEEP MAFIA PLAN TO HAVE THEIR OWN MAN AS CJ WHEN THE NEXT ELECTIONS COME. JUST LIKE APPOINTMENT OF SAMPATH AS EC YEARS AGO. 3 other names were approved - two sitting CJ of High Courts and Mr. R. Parasaran.

SSwamy just said on UNdiTv (My hotel only has it and I am forced to watch it - No Burkha though) that he filed an affidavit on Lord Ram during Rama Sethu case and on that ground alone he is unfit to become a judge of Supreme Court.

Message from BJP - At least from SSwamy - Please do not think there is be consequences for spiting on Sanathana Dharma and Leaders of the Dharmics.

This person is part of the get Modi gang of UPA. Sorabuddin case acted as Ames curie. Suggested that Amit Shah should not visit Guj. Willingly as a loyal mafia man or a innocent Law Officer who got wrong kinds of mafia briefs, we can only guess.

Incidentally Mr. Subramanyan was speaking how he is good friend of Ravi Shankar Prasad, from the same school of AJ and knows RNS and all that. :D He obviously do not know Amit Shah while doing congress hunting for him and has not uttered any word on knowing or not knowing NM. :rotfl: (Since they are not part of the Delhi gangs of course they are irrelevant for the who is who of Delhi.)

He also alleging that Supreme Court has not supported them. I THINK THEIR LORDSHIPS HAVE NOW SEEN THAT THE EXECUTIVE NOW CALL THE SHOTS AND ALSO REMEMBERED WHAT HAPPENED TO THE JUDGES WHO DO NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE VIEWS OF A POWERFUL PM.

Hope they also fall in line with the "Philosophy of the Government" just like they did for most of the mafia rule since Independence except for few years before Emergency.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Modi felicitating a PMO staffer's son who made it through the civil services exam. The joys of having a PM who retains the ability to act spontaneously. Rather than await modemji's writ.

Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Tweet Twilplomatic Touche
GENEVA (AP) — In the Twitterverse ruled by President Barack Obama, India's new Prime Minister Narendra Modi may soon overtake the White House on Twitter.An analysis of Twitter accounts — showing the emphasis some governments put on digital diplomacy as a 21st-century tool for statecraft — projects Modi, already the fifth most-followed world leader on Twitter with 4.95 million followers, will soon overtake the White House's 4.97 million.He has a long way to go to catch Obama's campaign account, however, with 43.7 million followers; next comes Pope Francis, with 14 million followers on nine language accounts; and Indonesia's President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, with 5 million.But the "Twiplomacy" study Wednesday by PR firm Burson-Marsteller shows French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius and Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt are the best-connected diplomats
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Modiji is looking fatter in the picture.

Not good.

He should seek Baba Ramdev's help to devise a regimen to lose weight.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

pandyan wrote:niran saab - is swamy going to play any active role in the guvrnment or is he just going to play free agint? some of the statements he made in china doesnt make any sense.
every org. have a troubleshooter who on the surface have no formal position but they have the eyes and
ears of motabhai(big boss) SS Garu seems to be trouble shooting......err cleansing Bharat of the mess created by cooking eyetaylian pasta sauces over the years.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

SSwamy is needed for Indics as there are many fights he needs to fight. The problem is SSwamy is a bit crazy in some aspects. He has serious deep connections with many and could fight alone with MQ and her gang better part of a decade and won significant victories and huge awareness on the loot that was taking place. His contribution to the NM win is significant in that sense.

NM will find some role to him in due time.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Thing with Suna swamy is that despite his sometimes whacko ideas, he appears to listen to what people tell him they want from the govt. On twitter, he frequently lists out items and asks in what order the govt should tackle those problems and if there are others, to let him know. Almost everytime he asks for it, development comes first. Then come all the brf/yevil yindoo demands - ucc, art370, freeing up temples..

So assuming he has the ears of NaMo, and since he has ears close to the ground, one can assume that the common man has yet another way to reach NaMo.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

LOSING PATIENCE

The nation needs convincing that the good times shan’t remain elusive.

By N.V. Subramanian (25 June 2014)
New Delhi: It would take Prime Minister Narendra Modi at least two years to get India up and running. The United Progressive Alliance has left the country in a complete mess. By way of illustration, the aircraft carrier Vikramaditya that the prime minister inaugurated days ago is without its own defences. When it was being brought over high seas and passed within range of the Pakistan navy, it was requested not to deploy offensive measures.

That is one side of the picture. The other side is equally depressing. The Central bureaucracy is resisting tooth and nail Narendra Modi’s attempts to reform it and get it working. Senior Indian Administrative Service officers suddenly find no longer being masters of their own time. They are enraged to be deprived of the pleasure of playing golf before and during office and for having to work long hours forgoing leisurely lunches and swish late-night parties. Rather unsettlingly, they have been sending proxy hate mails to Modi’s support staff against the prime minister.

The situation is no different with the foreign office and police bureaucracies. Indian Foreign Service officers are cynical and scornful of Narendra Modi’s efforts at economic and trade-related diplomacy. They laugh at his South Asia initiative and do not believe the outreach to Japan would scale up India’s rise. They are fixated on close relations with the United States which they believe, misguidedly, will launch the nation into the big league in one giant thrust.

The largely criminalized Indian Police Service is also of no help to Narendra Modi. It has suppressed cadre officers of Central police organizations like the Central Reserve Police and Border Security Force and turned the Central Bureau of Investigation into a mediocre handmaiden of the establishment. In the military, the racket of headquarter posting has rotted force integrity, with well-connected officers managing multiple successive tenures at the Centre till retirement. The golf disorder afflicts the Indian Army even more.

It is not in Narendra Modi’s nature to complain. He briefly spoke of his dire administrative inheritance to Bharatiya Janata Party workers in Goa around the Vikramaditya inauguration. He warned of impending harsh decisions to save the economy. Except that, in this battle to bring things to normal -- like normalizing the inflation rate to 2-3 per cent, kick-starting growth and industry, restoring to health the defence forces, curing Air India and Indian Railways, and so forth -- he has chosen to become the lone warrior. He has forgotten to align the people with his earnest vision for India. Administration is happening behind hermetically sealed chambers where the only thing that escapes now and then is bad news, and it is barely tinged with the hope of the promised “good days”.

The railway fare hike was a shocker. No sensible person would deny the necessity of a hike. But had it to be sudden and so steep? Even if the fiscal situation did not permit a timely and appropriate presentation of the hike in the railway budget, an honest justification for it should have helped. A procession of Union cabinet ministers, including Arun Jaitley, made correct noises. But it has not staunched public anger. Now a gas price hike is due.

Narendra Modi’s mistake was to restrict the Goa speech about harsh policy decisions to party workers. He should have taken the people into confidence who gave him the mandate. He owes them that. There was no harm telling of the coming railway hike and of the other “bitter medicine” en route in the budget. The prime minister needed to get on Doordarshan and All India Radio and urge the people to bear with the hard times and decisions. He didn’t cop out. He isn’t the sort. He probably felt it was not necessary. But it is. The first rule of democracy is, don’t take the people for granted.

Since then, more bad news has flowed. The Rajdhani derailed today with four passengers killed. The mess with University of Delhi’s three- and four-year undergraduate programmes is appalling. Admissions are affected. Food prices are rising. Dairy products are becoming beyond reach. The blame for none of this -- or at any rate, most of this -- should be placed at the door of the new Narendra Modi government. But at least the government should join the battle of perception. Not so. A gag order that would work fine in placid times is proving counter-productive. The party is silent. The ministers are speechless. Newspapers report Narendra Modi is planning a spectacular 15 August event. Would it go down well with people battered by inflation and fearful of the future?

Prime Minister Narendra Modi needs to speak from the heart to the nation. He hasn’t done that at all since becoming prime minister. He has to address the nation over the heads of the naysayers and bolster people against more temporary hardships. Even in peace, a nation can be at war. India is losing patience.

Editor’s note: The Indian bureaucracy will only commence delivering when officers are put under contract. This must begin with the Indian Administrative Service right up from Sub-Divisional Magistrate level and be comparably enforced in the Indian Foreign Service, the Indian Police Service and the Indian Revenue service.

N.V.Subramanian is Editor, www.newsinsight.net and writes on politics and strategic affairs. He has authored two novels, University of Love (Writers Workshop, Calcutta) and Courtesan of Storms (Har-Anand, Delhi). Email: envysub@gmail.com
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

The songlines of secularism - Shiv Visvanathan - The Hindu

Since Modi for first time burst the Sickular gang balloon and he effectively nullified vote-bank-veto over Indian politics, so I am posting this in this thread.

Worth reading in full.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

Wasted 10 mins reading that article.

The author has no idea of Hindutva and Hinduism and still harps about yindoooooo fundamentalism. He clearly has no idea of abrahamic/sickular fundamentalism (probably deliberately not mentioned). All he says is, "be accepting of everyone and try to see their POV", that is a big part of the Hindu way of life, but the bugger is unable to process what it is and connect the dots.
SPattath
BRFite

Post by SPattath »

Sonia and Rahul have been summoned by the court in the National Herald case filed by Subu Swamy.
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

^Yup, a waste of time. Seems like the secularists are getting pretty stoned these days.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

From FB, dunno how true it is.

SanjayC
BRFite

Post by SanjayC »

^^^ It's true. Read somewhere that Modi would be meeting all three defence chiefs once a month to get first-hand briefing.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

something is not right between SS and bjp/modi ???
Subramanian Swamy ‏@Swamy39 41m

Jaitely can order investigation under Income Tax Act against TDK for misusing party funds in the NH case as per my letter to him. Will he?
Expand

Subramanian Swamy ‏@Swamy39 48m

If I can do this in NH case without power of office why can't those with power prosecute TDK and send her to Tihar?
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

krishnan wrote:something is not right between SS and bjp/modi ???
Subramanian Swamy ‏@Swamy39 41m

Jaitely can order investigation under Income Tax Act against TDK for misusing party funds in the NH case as per my letter to him. Will he?
Expand

Subramanian Swamy ‏@Swamy39 48m

If I can do this in NH case without power of office why can't those with power prosecute TDK and send her to Tihar?
Why not look at it differently? SS is doing what a private ciizen of means is doing. Now the expectation is that JetLee rats out his former mates.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

I saw his statement on TV. He is just asking AJ to buck up and get cracking. Nothing more.