Narendra Modi vs the Dynasty: Contrasting Ideas of India

Arjun
BRF Oldie

Re: Narendra Modi vs the Dynasty: Contrasting Ideas of India

Post by Arjun »

X-posting from Indian Economy thread....

Modi makes his pro-growth stance explicit, far more so than the current apology of a government at the center: Centre’s policies lack urgency to tackle economic crisis: Modi
Attacking the government for lowering the growth target for the 12th Plan, Modi said though the target of 9 percent GDP growth, talked about last year, appeared ambitious, “it was not impossible to achieve if we had the political will to do what is necessary”.

“In this context, it is painful to note the unmistakable sense of pessimism in the 12th Plan document…Significantly lowering the growth targets of the 12th Plan will further add to the mood of despondency and pessimism in the country and cast increasing doubts on the sustainability of the India Growth Story,” he said.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

What whould they talk? :)
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Modi seems surrounded by smiling assasins all around him
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

I think they are all buddies in real life. All this hate and bluster is just marketing to fool the public.
R_Kumar
BRFite

Post by R_Kumar »

KJoishy wrote:I think they are all buddies in real life. All this hate and bluster is just marketing to fool the public.
Thats what I am also thinking after looking at the above picture.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

It's a made for the camera pose, no need to develop conspiracy theories over a photo.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

The whole NDC circus was originally designed for photo ops - so that the dictatorial center can carry on with its pretense of a Federal polity.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

the man has grown aleast on the posters.
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

^^^Sushupti....that youtube vid was sooper mama!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

JJ walked out of the NDC meeting yesterday saying she was insulted and not allowed to complete her speech. said the center was trying to stifle the voice of chief ministers.

Modi in BJP HQ ceremony said the center had stopped publishing a ranking of states in poverty alleviation scheme implementation because UPA states were performing quite poorly over a extended spell and they had grown sick of his repeated making this point as to why BJP ruled states were doing better in the rankings.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

DDM belatedly puts 2 and 2 together only after Modi's Delhi visit: Modi proves he could have what it takes to be PM after visit to Delhi
Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi's first visit to Delhi after his third straight electoral victory made it amply clear that his juggernaut is well on its way towards national politics.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Terrible.

Seems like India's growth will really have to hit the pits, our credit rating junked, our deficits ballooned to the point of our having to pawn gold again (perhaps), our growth in the doldrums and so on before our paid media and sekular forces admit that their 'governance' model hasn't worked to their expectations. And any sort of introspection, course-correction, hard decisions and the like get consideration time even.

I still recall the haughty sekulars labeling the NDA program the 'notional agenda for governance'. Wonder they thnk now (I know what they'll say - whatever they're paid to say, but what they think is another matter).

Still, no doubt the media spcae given to Modi's communal credentials will outweight that to undeniable problems with the UPA governance model.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Minds prejudiced, vision blinkered - Arindam Chaudhury

The Narendra Modi versus secular media tussle is a fight between Bharat supported by the common man and India supported by the Nehruvian network. This network has been working in the country since even before 1947

I had a busy schedule and was not planning to watch television when the Gujarat election result was supposed to be declared. Still I sat in front of the TV, and while surfing channels, when I saw a lot of important journalists and analysts on Times Now, I decided to stay on for a while.

Honestly, I could not but help a Bangla expletive escape my mouth when I heard what some experts were saying. One was saying that Mr Narendra Modi and his electoral victory was against the Constitution of India. Another was saying how the Gujarat verdict goes against the spirit of India. I always thought free and fair elections were a celebration of the Constitution and democracy. So what was all this nonsensical talk about? The more I watched and the more I followed analysts on other news channels, I realised something simple: These individuals were very unhappy that Mr Modi had won and that they clearly would have preferred his loss. I also realised they hate him in a very irrational manner. Interestingly, nobody in that particular news panel found time to mention how more than 60 welfare schemes of the Government are named after the Gandhi family. If that is not personality cult, what is? Someone else on some channel said that Mr Modi is dictatorial and doesn’t allow any leader or voice to prosper under him. Then I thought, what is the Congress if not dictatorial? Can any Chief Minister of any Congress-ruled State defy the central leadership the way Mr Modi has repeatedly done? What will be the Congress Chief Minister’s fate if that happens? For that matter, I honestly think that at least some of the young Congress leaders — ranging from Sachin Pilot to Jyotiraditya Scindia to Milind Deora and some others — are better equipped to handle India than Mr Rahul Gandhi. But not a single panelist on any TV channel was saying any of this.

So, let us sum up something: The first thing is that most English media types absolutely hate Mr Modi. That is all right. Even journalists have the right to hate someone. But I wondered how Mr Modi’s victory could destroy India, the way so many senior journalists were complaining. So I asked my colleagues to note down the reasons why the English journalists hate Mr Modi. The results were interesting. The first reason was that Mr Modi is anti-Muslim and communal. The related reason was that Mr Modi has apparently never apologised for the 2002 riots. The second reason was that he is interested only in projecting himself. The third reason was that he is supposedly a dictator and a fascist. And the fourth reason was that his claims of a developed Gujarat are, the journalists claim, hollow.

Just look at the irony of it. If Mr Modi campaigns on the basis of identity, he is immediately branded a fascist-cum-communal monster. If he campaigns on the basis of his track record of development, a mountain of data is immediately forwarded that says that either other States are better performers than Gujarat or that Gujarat performs very badly on social indicators. Just figure this out. I do not recall any major journalist or media outlet pointing out the so-called poor indicators of social development in Gujarat till some time ago. But the moment Mr Modi announced that his entire election campaign would be based on his track record of good governance and development, there were hundreds of stories about how Gujarat is not as developed as he claims. I was forwarded an article written by Mr Pratap Bhanu Mehta in The Indian Express. I read that and realised I am not alone in wondering why the English media is irrationally hating Mr Modi.

The fact is: It is a fight between India and Bharat. Mr Modi for me represents Bharat while the English media represents India. I am convinced that the English media is now a voice of the old feudal India where just a few people claim to know what is best for both India and Indians. On the other hand, Mr Modi represents the other India — Bharat, if you will — which is deeply frustrated by the monopoly that the English media and its secular warriors exercise over information and messaging. The difference is stark: The English media absolutely blasts Mr Modi when he talks about Ms Sunanda Pushkar being a ‘`50 crore girlfriend’ of Mr Shashi Tharoor. But even women journalists do not protest when Congress MP Sanjay Nirupam behaves in the most despicable manner with BJP leader Smriti Irani. The kind of people that Mr Modi represents understand this hypocrisy and this brazen double-standard. And if you go by election result, they are not impressed. But this is a genuine divide and there is already a war between Bharat and India over what the nation is.

What is India? If you go by the definition of the English media, India is an artificial country that should not have happened. India is, for this media and its cheerleaders like Arundhati Roy, a country so ridden with a million mutinies that it has no hope of survival. Most of the English media seems resigned to India being an ungovernable country where religion, caste and ethnic identity matter more than humanity. Besides, most people who subscribe to the English media world-view have a 67-year old Nehruvian network to fall back upon if required. In stark contrast, the people who genuinely support Mr Modi are the people who would be somewhat uncomfortable speaking in English even though they are enormously successful in their own lives. You can see them easily dismissed in English television channel debates when more articulate English-speaking types take the floor.

I mentioned something called a Nehruvian network just a while ago. What do I mean by it? I think the Nehruvian network is something that has been working in India since before 1947. It is basically a set of ideas and people who, deep down, think that the system set up by the British was the best. They are the ultimate ‘Brown sahebs’. They will write or propagate anything that comes out in the media in the West. They love to bash India through novels and books. They are absolutely convinced that Indians need a bit of civilisation. They snort and snigger when a politician like Ms Uma Bharti or Ms Mayawati or Mr Modi rises up from nowhere, proudly displays his or her lack of English communication skills and yet manages to persuade voters to do the right thing. The Nehruvian network cannot simply understand why such ‘low-class types’ become powerful. You see, things were so much better when only children of politicians and bureaucrats who spoke impeccable English were there to dictate the agenda for the nation.

This battle between India and Bharat started in the 1980s. It has thrown up many heroes who fight for India. Mr Modi is the first person who is fighting aggressively on behalf of Bharat and he seems to be winning. Imagine an India where Congress chamchas, JNU intellectuals and their fellow travellers won’t have access to power in Delhi. No wonder, the secular English media hates NaMo so passionately. This will be the most interesting political battle in India since the days of Mahatma Gandhi. Bharat is destined to win this time.

(The author is a management guru and honorary director of IIPM Think Tank)
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

^ Good article by Arindam Chaudhry...but I wonder whether 'India vs Bharat' is the best phrase to describe the divide. I personally see Moditva as representing a 'can-do' attitude that India can and should do much better, that the bar for performance needs to be set higher in all walks of life...while his opponents tend to be backward feudalists who are quite comfortable with embarrassingly poor Nehruvian standards.

Need some catchy terms that can represent this divide well...not really sure 'India vs Bharat' is the most apt one.
munna
BRFite
Location: Pee Arr Eff's resident Constitution Compliance Strategist (Phd, with upper hand)

Post by munna »

Arjun wrote: I personally see Moditva as representing a 'can-do' attitude that India can and should do much better, that the bar for performance needs to be set higher in all walks of life...while his opponents tend to be backward feudalists who are quite comfortable with embarrassingly poor Nehruvian standards.
There are fedualists, dynasties and meritocrats on both sides of the pit. The difference lies in base philosophies. The Nehruvian cabal believes anything Indic or Hindu is doomed for failure and hence inherently unworthy of self rule. In other words a heavily demented form of discrimination hiding under a veneer of humanitarian jargon.
While the 'Parivar' that has thrown up stalwarts like SP Mookerjee, DD Upadhayay, LK Advani, AB Vajpayee and Narendra Modi believes in a more 'swadesi' breed of governance. Sadly the parivar has failed to grapple with two realities of their own landscape (a) Caste (b) Dynasties Supporting Them. Unless they figure a cure to these on a nationwide scale there will always be a question mark on their ability to decisively rule center. Modi has resolved these by backing regional dynasties and using his own OBC background as a political strategy along with a masterly development strategy.

Moditva is a just strain of parivar that is doing well, it needs to be refined and strengthened to achieve all India goals.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

munna wrote:Sadly the parivar has failed to grapple with two realities of their own landscape (a) Caste (b) Dynasties Supporting Them. Unless they figure a cure to these on a nationwide scale there will always be a question mark on their ability to decisively rule center. Modi has resolved these by backing regional dynasties and using his own OBC background as a political strategy along with a masterly development strategy.

Moditva is a just strain of parivar that is doing well, it needs to be refined and strengthened to achieve all India goals.
Regarding Dynasties, it would be difficult to argue against the odd father-son or mother-daughter pair that may come up every now and then (like in US Presidential history). The problem is only when Dynasty becomes egregious - ie one particular family monopolizes government (or legislative representation in a particular region), to a large extent, over an extended period of several generations. By any objective criteria at all - governance at the center in Delhi has toppled past the egregious point a long time back....

I do think Modi needs to emphasize his 'self made' image strongly as a contrast to the Dynasty...but as for others he needs to rely on, all decisions probably need to be taken on a case-by-case basis. Winnability is critical - Modi as 'sef-made' I think is a winnable proposition against the Dynasty. For other MPs / state-level leaders that may not be the case.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

^^ change in 2014 is inevitable. With or without modi as pm candidate. Having said this, Hindus are divided all over the world and a divided majority cannot be a foundation to successful nation. Kudos to congress who has effectively used its machinery to divide Hindu votes with money, media or muscle.
So much as i love to, I personally think that modi will not be a consensus candidate of nda if Bjp do not score near 200 mark. Media has done its job effectively in putting so much filth and anti modi stuff out constantly in last ten years that majority of people outside India virtually despises him.

What I don't understand is why rest of India cannot see through this media filth targeting one person ?
Congress would shut down any anti Gandhi family channel in no time.

I believe that Gujarat had shown the way to rest of India on what mature voter is all about. It is about time that rest of India does the same thing rising above caste, creed, religion, colour and make right choice.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Insightful analysis as usual from Minhaz Merchant...read in full:

2014: the electoral math-II
The bottomline: the BJP will get more seats than the Congress (149-113) but fewer allies. Final coalition score: NDA: 196. UPA: 143. Others: 206.

In the end, 2014 could boil down to an ideological battle between Sonia and Modi. Dynasty vs. Development. Dressed-up Secularism vs. Hindutva. Soft on Pakistan vs. Tough on Pakistan. Handouts to the Poor vs. Self-Reliance for the Poor. Dependencies vs. Competencies.

Whoever’s vision – Sonia’s or Modi’s – resonates with voters could end up forming, or supporting, the next government.

We are thus left with three likely scenarios for 2014:

Scenario 1: The UPA with 143 seats supports from outside around 150 regional MPs out of the 206 “others” (minus UP/WB/AP state rivals) as it did in 1996. A regional PM (Mulayam? Mayawati?) or even one from within the UPA (Pawar?) is propped up for two years till Rahul is ready in 2016. At this stage the regional front government will be unceremoniously pulled down. (The Congress supported, then cut down, Chandra Shekhar in 1991, Deve Gowda in 1997 and I.K. Gujral in 1998. It got Vajpayee’s NDA for six years in return for the perfidy.)

Scenario 2: The NDA with 196 seats wins over 84 of the 206 “others” as coalition allies: AIADMK (28), BJD (18), TMC (25) and TRS (13). This formation of 280 would nominate a non-Modi Prime Minister post-election (Jaitley, Sushma or Advani) to guarantee support from “secularists” like Nitish, Naveen and Mamata. Modi could be given Home or even the Deputy Prime Ministership. He would have to prove himself nationally as a campaigner and also in government – and bide his time. He could then make 2016 his own battle against a post-Sonia, Rahul-led, Congress, targeting 180-200 sets for the BJP alone on a national development plank. Nitish and others would be bade farewell.

Scenario 3: The BJP, overcoming internal resistance, nominates Modi as its Prime Ministerial candidate. How would this change the electoral math? These are the states where Modi-as-Prime Minister could bring the BJP additional seats in 2014 if he fires up voters the way he does cadres:

8 more in Uttar Pradesh, up from the projected 15 in our table to 23.
4 more in Bihar, up from 15 to 19 (despite the inevitable break with the JDU).
4 more in Maharashtra, up from 12 to 16.
4 more in home state Gujarat, up from 17 to 21.
2 more in Delhi, up from 4 to 6, 2 more in Rajasthan, up from 15 to 17, and 2 more in Karnataka, up from 9 to 11.
6 more in smaller states.

Total: 32 additional seats – taking a Modi-led BJP on its own to 181. The NDA would lose JDU’s 20 seats but retain Shiv Sena (16), SAD (7), AIADMK (28), AGP (2), TRS (13), with the stated promise of Telengana, and possibly BJD (18), taking a Modi-led NDA to 265.

Even without the three “secular” Ms (Mulayam, Maya and Mamata), only a handful of independents and smaller parties (8 seats in all) would then be needed for NDA-3 to secure a 273-seat majority in the Lok Sabha.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

^ that all doesn't make sense.

Do you guys see the news? Only Congress can get alliances. Even when Delhi is raped, its alliance partners made sure that similar rapes are happened in Mumbai, UP, Bihar, Bengal, Kerala, Andhra and other states. Can Modi do that?

Based on Vinatva, we need inclusive and secular leaders based on the ground realities, rapes and Muslim riots included, only congress can organize nationwide deterioration of economy, internal security etc.,

Even Economic Times said that Bihar is growing better than Gujrat. What better proof can one have than that, it have "Economic" in it's name; same as that Hindutva paper, Hindu.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

India Today has been running a series of good articles on Narendra Modi. The latest here: Can Modi Do More?
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

It is strange how people don't mind using power from power excessive states but then go about usual piskology using the same power. Such meaningless dynasty politics will not work at all unless people are okay to go down the slow-growth path per UPA politics and are ready to wallow in self-pity in dark without electricity. Something has to give in.
Ashok Sarraff
BRFite

Post by Ashok Sarraff »

Watch this video of Modi exiting from the stadium after oath-taking (see Part 2, NOT Part 1, 1:20 min. onwards):
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/video/nare ... 39472.html

Most Brf-ites will remember the below clip about Benazir Bhutto's assassination:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_vXFN3SViY

Now, watch Akbar Owaisi’s speech (5:00 min. onwards):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkGHJ6GUF6U

I hope our home ministry is mindful of security concerns to NaMo! Based on the first clip and other election campaign videos, I believe that he is not being offered a very high level of security, although the govt. says that he gets Z+ security! Can someone file a petition to HM to review Modi’s security? Can someone email Shinde or NaMo himself?

By the way, the youtube link to Owaisi’s speech shared by Sushupti had been removed the last time I checked. Interested users may want to archive alternate clips!
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

Arjun ji, if BJP lead coalition with Modi at the helm comes to power then Maya, Nitish, Navin can be expected to be more reasonable. By now all three would have so many potential cases of corruption and taint that all one would need is some persuation.

Maya memsahib:
Maya can be made to understand that she is no position to compete for the same muslim vote with Kongis and Mullah-e-yam while risking her hindu voter. The way Maya had run the state during her tenure and the after effects of that style leave her on top of a tiger. She simply has to remain close to power or at least not vote a no-confidence vote against those handling power even if the ones handling the power are actually a minority government.

Nitish:
I have spoken to a few uppar wala caste guys from Bihar and Nitish bhai can also be reasoned with in more ways then one. It seems one of the strategy that Nitish used in order to improve the situation in Bihar is by bringing the outlaws into the mainstream. Often with close contacts within his own set-up. In such a case even if Nitish himself remains teflon coated his coterie can be expected to keep him reasonable.

Navin da:
Tricky fellow, cares for personal independence more then anything else. Knows there is not much to challenge him. Focusing on the ascendency in his own pool. He, IMO can be reasoned with by way of some economic packages.

Mamta di:
Bengal package. Need anybody say more.

BJP people need to learn some creative persuation from Kongis. If bhrata Laxman could learn from Ravan.....

JMHT though
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

BJP should get 160 in a pessimistic calculation and the median is 180. if it crosses 160 and congress loses in AP then things will fall in place. All those who talk ideology and Modi will talk something else. The making or not-making of next Modi's government is all in the hands of BJP+RSS and how much they want to be in government. If they want to be only bhaashan-baazi then no one can help them.
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

Aaho ji, Modi has shown his hand. Secular allies of NDA have and now at the swearing a JJ and non-secular allies have also shown their hands. Only ones left out are the BJP and RSS. Actually only RSS because BJP D4 are already well known and so are the rank and file. It is only RSS that has to decide what it wants to do in 2013 and beyond.
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

Muslims are so deeply demoralized "that a few significant sections decided to make peace with Modi".
Narendra Modi and India

A.G Noorani

Modi has expressed no contrition and made not the slightest effort to make amends for the loss of 2,000 lives. Not only that, he went on to consolidate the Hindu community’s support by what can only be described as a campaign of hate. That accomplished, he began asserting his independence from his party, the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) central leadership and its mentor, the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).

Having won his first assembly election in 2002 after the pogrom and the next in 2007 on a similar stance, he made a bid for victory in 2012 on the platform for the BJP leadership in the 2014 general election in order to ultimately emerge as prime minister of India. It was not the Muslims and the secularists alone who waited for the poll results with bated breath. So did the BJP’s leadership and the RSS cabal. Since independence few elections to a state assembly have been watched with such keen interest as the polls in Gujarat.

On paper the results declared on Dec 20 would suggest that Modi’s rise has been checked. In a house of 182 seats he won 115 seats, two short of the tally in 2007. The Congress won 61 seats, two more than it won in 2007. However, even as results were being declared, printed placards surfaced declaring Modi as the next prime minister. They were obviously printed well in advance for the predicted victory.

Modi himself emerged in public and, in a rare performance, eschewed Gujarati to declaim triumphantly in Hindi, the national language. The symbolism was not lost on the BJP’s leaders. His supporters predict that the 2014 general elections to the Lok Sabha will witness a straight fight between Narendra Modi and Rahul Gandhi. At 62, Modi can face reverses more than once as he pursues his ambition.

The crucial question is what do his politics portend for the future of India’s polity? He claimed: “The entire election was fought here on the plank of development. Gujarat has endorsed the plank of development and has voted accordingly.” Both claims are false. He freely exploited the communal factor, and his speeches were laced with attacks on Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi and others in coarse language. He accused the prime minister of selling out Sir Creek to Pakistan. Not one Muslim was awarded the party’s ticket for the polls.

Modi was a hard-core RSS pracharak (volunteer) who was seconded to the BJP. In 2001, he was sent from the BJP’s headquarters in New Delhi to Gujarat to replace Keshubhai Patel as chief minister.

The burning of the train at Godhra in 2002 provided an opportunity to whip up hatred towards Muslims. A pogrom followed.

The hatred persists. From mixed localities Muslims have moved into ghettos. Politically they are marginalised. So deep is the demoralisation that a few significant sections of Muslims decided to make peace with Modi.

In the run-up to the 2007 elections Sonia called him a “maut ka saudagar” (merchant of death). During the recent polls however, none dared attack him along those lines as it would have alienated the Hindus who back him. Muslims constitute 10 per cent of the total population. The BJP won in 24 constituencies which had more than 15 per cent Muslim voters. In nine seats with 25 per cent or more Muslims, the BJP won seven, including one in which they had a 60 per cent majority and another in which they had nearly 50. The number of Muslims in the assembly is down to two from five in 2007.

The contest was between a Congress afraid to fight for secularism, let alone for redress of Muslim grievances, and a BJP which is increasingly communal. A minority community has some leverage in a multi-party contest, very little in a polity divided on religious lines. If Modi launched a sadbhavna (harmony) campaign last year it was not to woo the Muslims but to project himself as a moderate on the national level. During the campaign he firmly refused to put on a skull cap presented to him by a Muslim while accepting all manner of other caps which were offered to him. The message was driven home forcefully.

Modi’s false claims on development have been exposed thoroughly. Gujarat ranks 14th and ninth respectively in men’s and women’s rural wage rates among the country’s 20 major states. The network of super highways, which impress some, cannot conceal the awful state of roads in the interior and the abject poverty that is the norm there. Meanwhile big business has rallied behind Modi.

The BJP leaders in New Delhi had no say in the award of party tickets nor were they assigned a role in the election campaign. It was Narendra Modi’s show entirely and exclusively. Therein lies his greatest strength and greatest weakness. He has undoubtedly emerged as a powerful regional satrap but has in the process alienated some in the BJP and the RSS, their allies in the National Democratic Alliance — especially the Chief Minister of Bihar Nitish Kumar — and very many across the country.

In 2013 there will be elections to five state assemblies. Will Modi campaign in any of them? For that matter will he tour the country to project himself as a ‘national’ leader? In that event what will be the country’s response? If he manages to win significant popular support outside Gujarat, will the BJP adopt him as leader, as in 1990-1992 when L.K. Advani launched his Hindutva hate campaign?

In 2014 India will battle for its soul once again. As before it is certain to triumph for the hate campaign is assured of failure. The souffle cannot rise twice.

http://dawn.com/2012/12/29/narendra-modi-and-india/
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Tavleen Singh nails it yet again - this woman and her son who she has passed on her intellectual genes to are truly worthy of respect:
Delhi ‘intellectuals’ fear coming of no-nonsense Modi
Narendra Modi was sworn in for his fourth term as Chief Minister of Gujarat last Wednesday to the horror of those Indians who have spent more than a decade portraying him as a demon. These include leftists of varying shades of pink, Muslim intellectuals of varying shades of fundamentalist Islam, social activists of varying causes and political analysts whose intellectual development appears to have stopped when the secularism versus communalism debate died a natural death. What unites this motley crew is a deep fear that if Modi does become Prime Minister in 2014, their dominance of the national discourse, their virtual monopoly on tickets to enter politics, high national awards, Government largesse and other forms of patronage like regular excursions to foreign lands will end. Let me explain in more detail.

The Congress, in its long decades at the helm of India’s destiny has cultivated a particular breed of ‘intellectual’ assiduously. Those who fit into the leftist, liberal, secular category have been given Rajya Sabha tickets, Padma awards and other prizes and have been rewarded with Government jobs and houses in Delhi. The Government of India has enormous powers of patronage and the Congress learned long ago to use them very effectively. So if you are a ‘sarkari’ intellectual, you could find yourself in charge of any one of a myriad cultural and social organisations that come with low salaries but high perks. So if for instance you became head of one of the Government’s literary or music academies you would be entitled to a nice bungalow in Lutyens’ Delhi and a car with a red light on it. If you failed to get one of these jobs you could be rewarded in other ways for your loyalty to the Gandhi family and the Congress ‘ideology’.

So I know many ‘intellectuals’ in Delhi who have been given Government grants for promoting things as diverse as the Urdu language and the environment. If you are well-connected enough, you might even be able to get more than one Government handout without any questions being asked. So you could be a patron of Urdu poetry and the editor of an ecology magazine at the same time.

If you are clever, then you should be able to extend your ‘expertise’ in Urdu or Sanskrit to land yourself a Doordarshan series on the history of these languages or some related subject and you would never need to do what most Indians consider a regular job. In my long years of covering politics and governance in Delhi, I have met retired bureaucrats, failed Bollywood actresses and filmmakers, socialites and relatives of successful politicians who have benefited from Government of India largesse in an extraordinary variety of ways. Nobody has ever questioned this largesse because in the brief moment that the Bharatiya Janata Party came to power in Delhi it continued the practice because the very same ‘intellectuals’ that had lived for years on Government largesse switched political sides effortlessly and switched back to being Congress loyalists when the political fortunes of the BJP declined after 2004.

It may seem hard to believe if you are not from Delhi but trust me when I tell you that the same filmmakers, movie stars, writers, dancers, musicians, artists and other ‘intellectuals’ that thrive on Government of India largesse today were once in the inner circle of Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Even the political analysts that today boast of their closeness to Sonia Gandhi were to be seen in those days waltzing in and out of the Vajpayee household as if their loyalty had always been to him. Why did he allow this? I have asked myself this question often and the only satisfactory answer that I have come up with is that the people who surrounded the BJP Government at the time were new to the foibles and fakery of Lutyens’ Delhi and did not see duplicity and chicanery even when it happened under their noses. By the time they understood what was happening the general election that put the BJP back on the Opposition benches in the Lok Sabha had come and gone.

What worries the ‘intellectuals’ of Lutyens’ Delhi is that Narendra Modi may not be as easy to seduce as Vajpayee was. He may find it easier to discern between cant and real culture and between courtiers and real loyalists and this would inevitably lead to a total overturning of the patronage applecart. So the demonisation of Modi has been a joint project on a scale that has been quite unprecedented in the political history of modern India. It would be fair to say that no Indian politician has been demonised in quite this way and usually because the measure by which he has been judged has not been applied to anyone else.

Whenever I have tried to argue that what Modi allowed to happen in Gujarat in 2002 was modelled on what Rajiv Gandhi allowed to happen with the Sikhs in 1984, I have hit an impenetrable wall. As recently as last month when my new book ‘Durbar’ came out I had a long conversation with a senior bureaucrat who tried to convince me that I was wrong in writing in the book that Rajiv had been complicit in the massacres of the Sikhs. “You must understand that he knew nothing of what was happening,” this gentleman argued, “You must understand that he was a political novice and did not know what was going on or he would never have allowed it.” When I reminded him of the famous ‘big tree falls, earth shakes’ speech, he changed the subject.

This is how it always is whenever Modi’s ‘crimes’ are discussed. The discussion simply ends and if you persist in trying to continue the argument then you get labelled. You get called a ‘Sonia-baiter’ or a ‘saffron supporter’ or that most evil of things in the eyes of the denizens of Lutyens’ Delhi — ‘anti-Muslim’. Well, we do not know what Modi will do if he does become Prime Minister. He may, like Vajpayee, do nothing at all to upset the applecart. But, for the moment his victory has sent such a shiver of fear along the spine of Lutyens’ Delhi that you can almost hear the sound of it rustling like a demonic wind through the corridors of intellectual and cultural power in this city.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I think AG Noorani has a one consonant shifted in his name.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

when I was a teen/20s, I used to read anything that AG Noorani used to write. I kind of dead in illusion that he is a God like knowledged person in judicial and constitutional matters. It is a full circle with these educated closet islamists.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ramana wrote:I think AG Noorani has a one consonant shifted in his name.
Let me clarfiy.

He should be named AG Moroni not AG Noorani.
Agnimitra
BRF Oldie

Post by Agnimitra »

Arjun wrote:Tavleen Singh nails it yet again - this woman and her son who she has passed on her intellectual genes to are truly worthy of respect:
Delhi ‘intellectuals’ fear coming of no-nonsense Modi
If Forrest Gump had been a movie about India, Tavleen would be a Jenny. A lot of India's Jennies are coming back home to Forrest after experimenting with all and sundry new revolutionary cure-all ideologies to liberate (deracinate) one from all the ills of India. Often they have seen first-hand how it entailed hypocrisy and the abuse of India's soul. Next, Forrest and Jenny have a son who isn't "retarded", who is precocious. That could be the future of Indic politics if things go right.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Long Live AG Noorani , Soldier of Ummah !
May Allah grant him long life so he can watch from his hospital bed Modi taking PM oath at least 3 times and Valley Jihadis dying watching India grow Din Raat.Mar Gya to Hoor payega, iss duniya mey raha to Raggar Raggar ke jiyega !!
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Carl wrote: Next, Forrest and Jenny have a son who isn't "retarded", who is precocious. That could be the future of Indic politics if things go right.
That's a novel analogy, Carl ji... 8) May not be a bad idea - even the 'Aman ki Asha' types wouldn't have an objection.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

even reformed devils like ratnakar dasyu become Valmiki and Angulimala finally found peace and love at the feet of the Buddha.

all are welcome in the fold of the dharma but they should be serious in intent about giving up the evil ways.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

This thread is also about the Dynasty....so here's a picture of the current Queen being greeted by her party colleagues.

Modi is supposedly the 'fascist'....But is there any picture of Modi's team that is anywhere as servile in their body language as this one with Sonia ?
Sushupti wrote:Image
devesh
BRF Oldie

Post by devesh »

ack thoo on the slaves...
rajithn
BRFite

Post by rajithn »

devesh wrote:ack thoo on the slaves...
They don't quite see it that way. Access to huge amount of tax-payers funds for undelivered projects, prime real estate that they never have to vacate, invitations to any social dos, access to Government services, International travel on tax payers dime, Police & babu support et al!!!! And clout. [They dont have to stand in line for passports, ration cards, Aadhar cards, registering FIRs. Nothing. Nada.]

All they have to do is be subservient the few times they have to meet the Queen.

Reminds me of a Doctor I was acquainted with in Nilgiris. His words "What do I care if I have to fall at Amma's (JJ) feet? Each time I do that I get 2-4 lacs. I dont have to account for it after. This is money besides the development funds that I would anyways get. We find reasons to go to Fort St. George or Poes Garden. Find a way to fall at her feet thrice or four times a month and I have anywhere between 10-15 lacs in cash". Mind you, this was in early 90s.

And guess what. When he is not in front of Amma but is in his constituency or anywhere else: he is the all powerful politician. Cops grovel in front of him. So do the Mango People. He has a coterie of clowns who follow him wherever he goes. Thugs guarding him 24X7.

So for people with a fairly vague definition of self-respect, integrity and dignity...LIFE IS GOOD.

And it is the threat of losing all of this that is scaring the jholawallahs and the p-secs. And they are willing to go all out trying to weaken NaMo Namaha's chance of becoming the elected leader of this country. [Case in point: AG Noorani. Like someone else here, a man whose writing I used to like. Look at his writing today in Dawn: 2000 people killed, Pogrom, Muslims and Dalits electing him because of fear of surviva. What utter tripe!]
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

congoon ruled states

rajithn
BRFite

Post by rajithn »

So they win local elections in just 7 states but somehow sweep the national polls!! Strange. Not.