Statewide and National runup to 2014 General elections

Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Re: Statewide and National runup to 2014 General elections

Post by Sagar G »

Sushupti wrote:NCERT effect on the Hindi proficiency of even BJP/RSS people.
I am an NCERT guy and my Hindi is fine so it's not a board issue but yes the poster seems to suggest something else than what it actually means if read quickly, the wordings could have been better but people will understand it not a big issue and certainly not a board one.
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

Sagar G wrote:
Sushupti wrote:NCERT effect on the Hindi proficiency of even BJP/RSS people.
I am an NCERT guy and my Hindi is fine so it's not a board issue but yes the poster seems to suggest something else than what it actually means if read quickly, the wordings could have been better but people will understand it not a big issue and certainly not a board one.
It;s not personal but have you read any of these "bourgeois" poets Tulsi, Soor, Meera, Kabir, Bhartendu HArischandra, Jaishankar Prasad, Ramdhari Singh Dinkar?

And above picture was posted by AAP's Kumar Biswas.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

Sushupti wrote:It;s not personal but have you read any of these "bourgeois" poets Tulsi, Soor, Meera, Kabir, Bhartendu HArischandra, Jaishankar Prasad, Ramdhari Singh Dinkar?
Yeah yeah I agree with you that NCERT has to be more "saffronized" but this poster and the questionable sentence has got nothing to do with NCERT.
Sushupti wrote:And above picture was posted by AAP's Kumar Biswas.
Why did congress ka (P)AAP did that ???
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Now the "Pundits' who predicted INC sweep of Karnataka saying that it will be hung assembly in a three way contest. I think BJP has not gone full gund blazing in Karnataka with Modi and other leaders like Manohar Parikar in the Costal/Mangalore areas and other leader like Venkayya, Nirmala Sitharaman ( In telugu speaking areas) spending longer time on the elections compaign. Who knows there may even be a chance of BJP return to power.

Deve Gowda may like to form a governament with BJP support. INC may end up without power in the end if it does not has the majority or very near majority seats. Governar may play a "suitable role" and try of INC also. Interesting times.
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

Open season on MMS
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

^ we predicted this long time ago.

The moment MMS steps down he will have a fate far worse than PVNR. There are only two moksha-margas for MMS.

1. Takedown the congress-system with him, by collecting and prosecuting the termite family.
2. Stay in the job as long as he lives.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

MMS continues to be targeted: All the PM’s men are falling
With this scandal surfacing, two of the ministers who are said to owe their ministerial elevations to Manmohan Singh directly – Law Minister Ashwani Kumar and Bansal – are now directly in the line of fire.
I am positive BJP will gladly/exactly play this game, and be happy if MMS steps down and retires. As BJP counts its stripes and stars, INC romps home in 2014 with a new shinning prince or princess to save the country. A narration is already being painted by Rahul (just like Rajiv) on the state of the system/union. He highlights the flaws and problems, and MMS gets kicked out. Rahul gets into clean the system like Rajiv. However, The Family is shrewd and have matured, it makes more sense from their perspective to have someone in the seat of PM, President ityadi than a family member at the helm.
Last edited by SwamyG on 04 May 2013 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Narayana Rao wrote:Now the "Pundits' who predicted INC sweep of Karnataka saying that it will be hung assembly in a three way contest. I think BJP has not gone full gund blazing in Karnataka with Modi and other leaders like Manohar Parikar in the Costal/Mangalore areas and other leader like Venkayya, Nirmala Sitharaman ( In telugu speaking areas) spending longer time on the elections compaign. Who knows there may even be a chance of BJP return to power.
Again, I unabashedly pat myself on the back for pointing out way earlier that BJP should use Modi in KA. Win or lose, Modi has to pass through several agniparikshas. It helps him and BJP to tweak the strategy and tactics, based on what they learn in KA. It has taken a decade of development and message management by Modi & his team. Time to reap the rewards now. In politics, like anywhere time and location are important.

As INC prepares to take down MMS, BJP should keep polishing its Diamond.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

SwamyG wrote: Again, I unabashedly pat myself on the back for pointing out way earlier that BJP should use Modi in KA. .
Sir-ji, can you please be a little more generous and pass some of that along to folks who agreed whole heartedly with you?

I was also one of the few folks who supported your call (esp initially) of jailing the Eyetie Amby ? How come I get no love when I agree with folks, but plenty of flack for disagreeing.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Sanku wrote:
SwamyG wrote: Again, I unabashedly pat myself on the back for pointing out way earlier that BJP should use Modi in KA. .
Sir-ji, can you please be a little more generous and pass some of that along to folks who agreed whole heartedly with you?

I was also one of the few folks who supported your call (esp initially) of jailing the Eyetie Amby ? How come I get no love when I agree with folks, but plenty of flack for disagreeing.
Dude, this is Kaliyug, you have to scratch your own back, pat yourselves...nobody is going to do it for you. If you don't sell yourself (ie. your ideas), nobody is going to sell you (and your ideas). :mrgreen:

All philosophy apart, if you had similar thoughts, aap bhi mere tarah mahan ho. :mrgreen: And thanks for supporting me, let it be publicly known that I have zero influence on anybody except my two sons. And we are the people who make BRF mahan too, rejoice. And hopefully one day, you will join me when I say "Modi should dump BJP, if BJP does not go with him". Again I was one of the first in BRF to say.

It is stark clear for us amateur observers, that the country has lost its spine. It does not stand up to small, medium or large countries. In diplomacy, one needs to understand the situation and react accordingly. India has to project its soft and hard strength appropriately. Animals, project their strength and control in public manner - it is symbolic and establishes boundaries and expectations. These animals do not necessarily attack. The simple showing of the teeth, nails and nasty face is all it takes, and the willingness to attack every now and then is a necessity. Just growling will not do. China understands it. USA understands it. Pakistan does not care...it just attacks. India, I am unsure what it understands. Modi understands it, it was a telling display when he mocked China in his speech about China showcasing success. And goaded India to do the same. China is doing the right thing. India just has not done it. Why? Because of lack of vision from the people and parties. Modi brings in a change in mindset, that many BRF have been seeking for ages now. If BJP true to itself, is just another side of the INC coin. Then Modi has to cut the umbilical chord.

I disagree with some of our BRF friends, philosophers and guides who think changes will take a long time. I differ in the sense that when the right person with right ideas come, changes can be started. Just like the liberalization of 1991, it is possible for the country to just wake up one day and behave different. It is possible onlee. It requires the right set of people at the top. In the absence it will be slow and painful. Modi, CBN, JJ .....in different orders are such people. TN Seshan was one such person. Rajiv Gandhi had the potential. In fact Rahul has the opportunity (opportunity as he is the golden spoon boy). But Rahul has not shown the potential. His ideas are not fresh.
Last edited by SwamyG on 04 May 2013 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Retweet if possible!

suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

KA is a lost cause for bhajpa
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

suryag wrote:KA is a lost cause for bhajpa
Not sure. INC not doing well due to infighting.
So if they do not get a majority chance of a BJP+JDS govt possible.

Get out your friends to vote. Call all of them. There are times when you want to approach people about issues which you would not normally. This is one of those times.

http://www.niticentral.com/2013/05/04/k ... 73575.html

Survey had a bias among literate cell phone owners but still..
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

SwamyG wrote:. And hopefully one day, you will join me when I say "Modi should dump BJP, if BJP does not go with him". \.
Not a chance.

:rotfl:
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Marten wrote:VikramS, one of the biggest factors in elections is how much is being paid to the mango voter. Unfortunately, this amount or the promise of goods worth x amount determines who wins. Incumbency or anti-incumbency in KA is completely irrelevant. JD-S would not have a chance of surviving otherwise. The cadre used for canvassing votes are mostly fans and followers of Shri Mallya. Political ideology or local issues probably affect only about 10% of the voters in this state.

Likewise, in MH, for many decades now, the INC has had a strong hold. Money is not thrown about as much, and yet, the same folks are voted back into power. Even the 5% swing that brought SS-BJP into power was cancelled out by the bickering and petty corruption that ultimately made sure the combine would not return to power. NCP's cats paws are the MNS. The split in vote is practised much better than the gathering of votes. Vokkaliga vs. Lingayat, even in rural areas is about leaders who are known and trusted (as much as a local politician would be). Our local MLA is canvassing votes via sms with very emotional content. But he's unlikely to be voted back since the INC candidate here has been providing textbooks, vessels, saris/clothes/uniforms, even gold coins since January. Voters have made him an icon, even though God knows where the money has been coming in from "Center onlee". Perhaps KA will follow the Rajasthan model and vote out incumbents every election. That would be a good start for the state since every incoming Govt. would have to start new public works in the process of making money.
+100. There are some complex patterns being looked for, when none exist.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Sanku, Is it possible for you to most more than emoticons and generally increase the post count?
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

Marten wrote:VikramS, one of the biggest factors in elections is how much is being paid to the mango voter. Unfortunately, this amount or the promise of goods worth x amount determines who wins. Incumbency or anti-incumbency in KA is completely irrelevant. JD-S would not have a chance of surviving otherwise. The cadre used for canvassing votes are mostly fans and followers of Shri Mallya. Political ideology or local issues probably affect only about 10% of the voters in this state.

Likewise, in MH, for many decades now, the INC has had a strong hold. Money is not thrown about as much, and yet, the same folks are voted back into power. Even the 5% swing that brought SS-BJP into power was cancelled out by the bickering and petty corruption that ultimately made sure the combine would not return to power. NCP's cats paws are the MNS. The split in vote is practised much better than the gathering of votes. Vokkaliga vs. Lingayat, even in rural areas is about leaders who are known and trusted (as much as a local politician would be). Our local MLA is canvassing votes via sms with very emotional content. But he's unlikely to be voted back since the INC candidate here has been providing textbooks, vessels, saris/clothes/uniforms, even gold coins since January. Voters have made him an icon, even though God knows where the money has been coming in from "Center onlee". Perhaps KA will follow the Rajasthan model and vote out incumbents every election. That would be a good start for the state since every incoming Govt. would have to start new public works in the process of making money.
I have been saying this since ages. Its not about development in india, its all about how much you pay the voter and what caste you are. Little else matters. Modi is a googly on a very bland pitch. He might help BJP get more votes, but ultimately, the man on the street only cares for what he personally gains, nation be damned. I don't blame him though. Twisted as it is, atleast he believes in something and votes - even though its only a bottle of booze. I do blame the large section middle class who can't be bothered to vote, but have the nerve to complain. Where do they think the money for all the saris/TVs/gold coins comes from?? it comes from the pot meant for roads, water and other infrastructure. DOH!
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

We should not be so quick to blame the middle class either. In 2009 the voter turnout was ~59%. { http://eci.nic.in/eci_main/archiveofge2 ... lights.pdf }. And if one for an easy argument assumes that all of the middle class did not vote, still it points to other classes not voting.

The point is not to blame any one section. It is healthy to see the potential factors. From the top of my head voting consists of the following key points.
1) Ability to vote.
2) Motivation to vote.

It is a known fact, that India does a good job of transferring power at all levels. Sure there are election related violence, rigging, fraud ityadi. But it is a proud fact that Indians have bought into the notion of electing people to govern themselves. When one looks at Latin American, African and other Asian countries, it is indeed mind-boggling to grasp how billions have decided to play the game of democracy - albeit the Indian way. In spite of such giant strides which are probably PHd thesis material like the Indian postal service, Doordarshan and railways, the ability to vote is often curtailed. Though there are pockets of constituencies in the countries, where goondas and politicans prevent somebody from voting, there is no systematic effort to really prevent the voters from voting. What reduces the ability is the general factors mainly infrastructure and time. There are problems with voter registration, traffic, paani, roti aur kapada issues that just dissuades an aam admi from voting.

That brings us to the next related factor motivation. People have to realize that their voting means something and that they add value. We often blame middle class of India not voting. In America too, when people realize their votes do not really matter, they do not go out and vote. There are always campaigns to motivate and garner support from the educated folks (a.k.a consumers of America). There is a quip in tamil, that helpless people often quote - essentially it highlights the fact that people do not care if Rama or Ravana ruled. It is a profound in the sense, if people cannot really differentiate between one or the other party, they really do not care much. This translates to voting in democracy. If people think the system is going to remain the same, then they see no value in voting. It is easy to say, people should not think negatively and should voice their opinions and go out and vote. However human psychology forces us to recognize that people need something to motivate.

In politics the motivation stems from fear and desires - emotional issues, that are played by the politicians. Caste has been thoroughly used, and continues to work in semi-urban or rural areas. Urban centers are no exceptions either, but then there are other factors that come into play. America seems to have 50-60% of turnout as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_turn ... _elections
Looks like India has 715 million electors, so ~60% is a rather stupendous number. It can be increased. But then people have to see value in their actions. Why would one expect them to bang their heads against the wall? In rural settings, the power control could shift and hence there is a motivation to stay in control. In cities, where most of the middle class exist what would be the motivational factors?

http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/jOd9cKy ... class.html

And this is where Modi enters the picture. What he says boils down to this "I know you have been fooled by fake Ramas; so you don't differentiate the rulers. Look at me, I have done some worthwhile things in Gujarat. There is still many things to do, but here are the x,y,z things - see for yourself. Now I can do some of it at the national level too. I know you have become less discerning and do not trust the government/system. But I can change some of it. Here is what I have done, give me a chance".

He is like the movies that come with lots of marketing/hype. And his past records help him sell that. Will the middle class buy into his ideas and promises and go see the movie (vote for him or against him)?

Added: A month old article on middle class and their support to Rahul/Modi: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/11/world ... .html?_r=0
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

SwamyG wrote:We should not be so quick to blame the middle class either. In 2009 the voter turnout was ~59%. { http://eci.nic.in/eci_main/archiveofge2 ... lights.pdf }. And if one for an easy argument assumes that all of the middle class did not vote, still it points to other classes not voting.
Sir, that figure is misleading - the 59% quoted is all india. Urban & rural. Secondly, even in urban areas, its mostly the poor who vote. The maids, labourers, auto drivers etc. I am not not saying the whole Middle class/rich do not vote. No sir, what I am saying, as a percentage of their cohort, the voters are quite low. Think about it, to vote you have to queue in the sun for hours. Which software engineer who earns 50k pm would be interested ? This isn't an excuse but its reality. Even among my friends, hardly few vote. I encourage them to vote, even if its for those i oppose, for if they don't it is a greater danger as it skews the numbers to favour those who are willing to dole out freebies. And the only ones who are interested in those freebies are the poor. If you were living off 3-5k pm, wouldn't you take 1000rs just to vote? I dont blame them. The politicians ensure that this group never becomes richer, for if they become rich, they wont be interested in 1000rs.. they would need more.

As far as motivation is concerned, I partially agree, but then.. isn't "better roads", "better infra" motivation enough? The most common excuse I hear from these guys is "what difference does one vote make".. one vote from each of these guys for a clean candidate will increase his chances of winning.. its the individual drops that make the ocean. These same techies will take the first plane out to work a year in US or UK.. because they like the whole aura, the amenities, the infrastructure.. many are ready to sell an arm and a leg to get a green card.. i've seen it a hundred times.. yet they dont take the effort to help india progress.
Added: A month old article on middle class and their support to Rahul/Modi: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/11/world ... .html?_r=0
"Mr. Gandhi, if the Congress party wins, need not assume the role of prime minister because the Congress tradition is that the prime minister, when not a Gandhi, is usually an employee of the Gandhis."

- even NYT seems to know this.. shame on india!
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

My personal prediction of KA is this. Based on gut, surveys out there, and a interaction with people. This isn't "scientific" but its no more incorrect than other analysts out there.

Code: Select all

CONGRESS         43
BJP                   111
KJP                   35
JD (S)               23
Others               12
muraliravi
BRF Oldie

Post by muraliravi »

Shonu wrote:My personal prediction of KA is this. Based on gut, surveys out there, and a interaction with people. This isn't "scientific" but its no more incorrect than other analysts out there.

Code: Select all

CONGRESS         43
BJP                   111
KJP                   35
JD (S)               23
Others               12
I think u got congress and bjp interchanged
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Shonu saar: Go easy on India, that article was written by Manu Joseph - Editor of OPEN Magazine. Not a full blown American. I do not give a clean chit to anyone, I am just presenting some factors for people to vote or not vote. Naturally, we cannot list all factors as there are myriad that we probably will never fathom. Software Engineers earning 50K pm are probably rich folks - not truly middle class. Anyways, these folks will vote if they know by voting they can say affect their taxes, insurance, income ityadi by say 10-15% (just picking arbitrary numbers from thin air to make a point). A caste or religion conscious individual might be motivated to vote if he feels his status will be affected.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

suryag wrote:KA is a lost cause for bhajpa
I hope BJP cadres do not feel likewise. It aint lost till it is actually lost.
Sriman
BRFite

Post by Sriman »

Very little middle class voting at my booth so far. There were different booths in the same building for adjoining areas. The booth assigned to a poorer area had a long line and the one assigned to the middle class area had no queue. I did see a few young people coming in when i was leaving. Hopefully since it's a Sunday, we'll see more voting later. Interestingly people not interested in voting in my apartment are cynical middle aged folks.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

snarky sms doing the rounds. Says "Take Cong money if you have to but vote BJP".
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

Sriman wrote:Very little middle class voting at my booth so far. There were different booths in the same building for adjoining areas. The booth assigned to a poorer area had a long line and the one assigned to the middle class area had no queue. I did see a few young people coming in when i was leaving. Hopefully since it's a Sunday, we'll see more voting later. Interestingly people not interested in voting in my apartment are cynical middle aged folks.
Do you part, knock on their doors and just ask them to vote.
Tell them that the country is at a point where CBI Chiefs are being asked to lie in front of the Supreme Court.
What kind of country do they want their children to live in?
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Botcha slams door on unwanted Jagan

delicious ironies roasting in the freezer today, seems like...
There is no place for Jagan Mohan Reddy in the Congress, notwithstanding the take of Union Minister of State for Railways K Surya Prakash Reddy who said the Kadapa MP would get bail only if he returned to the party fold.

Firmly distancing the party from the comment, PCC president Botcha Satyanarayana said the Congress did not need Jagan. “The Union Minister may have made the comments in his personal capacity,” Botcha claimed, adding, “There is no question of the party admitting Jagan who is facing serious charges of corruption.”

The PCC chief said if there were serious charges of corruption against the late YSR, it was the responsibility of his family to prove his innocence. “If the courts find him guilty, it is shame on the Congress too since he was a Congress chief minister. We will have to hang our heads in shame,” he said, but refused to say whether the Congress should reclaim or disown the legacy of Y Rajasekhara Reddy.

The PCC president, who campaigned for Congress in Karnataka, said there was something in common between the BSR Congress and the YSR Congress.

“The BSR Congress too won by-elections in Karnataka with an unbelievable majority just like the YSR Cong did in AP. But the BSR Cong is in a rundown state. The same would be the fate of the YSR Congress,” he said, adding that emotive issues help a party gain electorally, but not in the long run.

He said after 2014, YSR Cong would disappear the way the BSR Cong was vanishing. There would be no Jagan and no Sharmila. after the elections.
OK, read between the lines - no advantage for either INC or YSRCP from a merger pre-polls. So diustancing and kabuki theater will continue till polls. After that all iss n make up only, like with praja rajyam party. Even naive voters in politics hardened AP should be able to see through this charade. Like Lagadapati claimed "UPA will get 40 LS seats from AP". Only.
Sriman
BRFite

Post by Sriman »

VikramS wrote: Do you part, knock on their doors and just ask them to vote.
Tell them that the country is at a point where CBI Chiefs are being asked to lie in front of the Supreme Court.
What kind of country do they want their children to live in?
Yep. My dad actually got application forms for everybody,got them to fill them up and submitted them. Voting is still at 12% in the city. I doubt we'll see a huge turn out.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

Sriman wrote: Yep. My dad actually got application forms for everybody,got them to fill them up and submitted them. Voting is still at 12% in the city. I doubt we'll see a huge turn out.
Bangalore - ever the laggard when it comes to going out to vote.

Mangalore/DK redportedly had already clocked 27% by 11AM. Traditionally Coastal KA tops voter turnout. Saw good numbers for Coorg as well.

In other news, TV9 is running clips showing Cong goons wielding lathis, 'laangu & macchu' on the rampage in Kolar...been taken into custody now apparently.
member_23629
BRFite

Post by member_23629 »

This is about Bangalore:
Enthusiasm of voters was particularly evident in the city, with techies working in the information technology sector going out in large numbers to elect their representatives.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/karna ... e/1111726/
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

muraliravi wrote:I think u got congress and bjp interchanged
I feel BJP will win Kar thanks to NM.

Meanwhile, enjoy the pic below... such is the PM of the worlds greatest democrazy. Please share on fb/teeter
https://twitter.com/vibhaskumar1/status ... 00/photo/1

Sriman
BRFite

Post by Sriman »

varunkumar wrote:This is about Bangalore:
Enthusiasm of voters was particularly evident in the city, with techies working in the information technology sector going out in large numbers to elect their representatives.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/karna ... e/1111726/
It's possible and would be nice if turn out is higher. Most locals i know have voted, but still the numbers being reported aren't very high. It's a very hot day, so its possible that turn out might be higher in the evening. Poll timings are extended till 6 PM.
Last edited by Sriman on 05 May 2013 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

Warning: Adult content, XXX rated. Floating on Twitter to describe greatness of Congress and its student wing NSUI.

Moderators you can remove this video if you feel it is inappropriate.

kittoo
BRFite

Post by kittoo »

I will be happy if BJP crosses 50 in Karnataka. Didn't Yeddy say he will do anything Ananth said, if BJP crossed 50? That means even 50 is a great number. I would like to see him back to BJP after these polls.
skaranam
BRFite

Post by skaranam »

Looks like the video is not yet viral...however the INLD guys have been protesting as per IE
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

Bansal refuses to quit despite revelations that CBI tracked nephew Singla and Kumar in three-month investigation - DailyMail

I have a hunch that Ashwini Kumar and Pawar Kumar Bansal were being targeted, because they are in MMS camp. I think there is serious infighting between MMS and Sonia camp. If not, never heard CBI logging the registry before taking CG files to Ashwini Kumar and the way they are nailing him.

CBI is trying for 3 months to get an evidence against Bansal, something is fishy.

If MMS resigns, he will be made supreme scapegoat and all ills will be fixed upon him and he will have to fight those cases personally till his death (remember PVNR has to sold his own houses to fight corruption cases). Congress will under 4th Reich (dynasty) will come out as white as possible.

I bet, there will be serious allegation or scam charges might crop against dynasty. If that happens, assume that MMS is striking back.
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »