AP Politics and runup to 2014 General elections

Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Re: AP Politics and runup to 2014 General elections

Post by Muppalla »

yvijay wrote:It's not just reddies, but every caste is like that. No body has a clue about the ejisation, nobody is bothering to tell them. How do the lay man know about it and realize what is happening?
This is what I keep saying. The average hindu is least bothered and they are only looking to make next bucks. Folks will say Reddys are this Kammas are that etc. Meanwhile agenda folks will say EJs are 40% and some one else will say no they are almost 60%. AP is actually like Nagaland or Kerala or South Africa.

During T struggle time someone said, the Andhras are all EJs and we can't live with them :). Fultu exploitation by the false-narrative spreaders and rumor creators who are both Telugus and non-Telugus.

Basically AP and T are like a woman stripped in front of Talibs and for them to do anything and she don't have a way to escape. Everything that is untruth become gospel.

The worst case scenario of AP is 20% (realistically 12%) converted to Christians. 90% of this converted is Schedule Castes. Worst affected districts are Krishna, Guntur, Prakasam (again all non Reddy areas). In the remaining 10% of 20% the spread is even among Reddys, Kammas, Rajus and Kapus. There are also OBCs that got converted. Kammas have ostracized their folks who converted as they don't marry them anymore. The individual % of converted inside each these forward castes, OBCs will not be more than 0.5%.

The real concerns are:
(1) Not recognizing this as a problem
(2) The backbone of the survival of Hinduism are actually OBC. As these folks started the conversion bandwagon, there is no real one who are fighting the menace.
(3) Open display of propaganda with no fear is mindboggling (something like Jesus cutout with both hand open when you enter from one town to another (a.k.a welcome to Sajjanpur type :) )
(4) The extremely rich, politically powerful are part of this cabal.

Another myth is all this %change happened during YSR rule. Dalit-Christians have BC category reservations since 30+ years in AP. Missionaries actually increased multi-fold in AP in 80s and 90s under the nose of TDP government.

The real conversions of Reddys/Kammas actually happened even before independence and until 1960s. Crypto-Christianity is the hall-mark of conversion until 70s.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

The crypto conversion wave started after the land reforms. Because of the safeguards of minority institutions, a section of the rich converted on paper to protect their wealth.
yvijay
BRFite

Post by yvijay »

Muppalla wrote: This is what I keep saying. The average hindu is least bothered and they are only looking to make next bucks. Folks will say Reddys are this Kammas are that etc. Meanwhile agenda folks will say EJs are 40% and some one else will say no they are almost 60%. AP is actually like Nagaland or Kerala or South Africa.

During T struggle time someone said, the Andhras are all EJs and we can't live with them :). Fultu exploitation by the false-narrative spreaders and rumor creators who are both Telugus and non-Telugus.

Basically AP and T are like a woman stripped in front of Talibs and for them to do anything and she don't have a way to escape. Everything that is untruth become gospel.

The worst case scenario of AP is 20% (realistically 12%) converted to Christians. 90% of this converted is Schedule Castes. Worst affected districts are Krishna, Guntur, Prakasam (again all non Reddy areas). In the remaining 10% of 20% the spread is even among Reddys, Kammas, Rajus and Kapus. There are also OBCs that got converted. Kammas have ostracized their folks who converted as they don't marry them anymore. The individual % of converted inside each these forward castes, OBCs will not be more than 0.5%.

The real concerns are:
(1) Not recognizing this as a problem
(2) The backbone of the survival of Hinduism are actually OBC. As these folks started the conversion bandwagon, there is no real one who are fighting the menace.
(3) Open display of propaganda with no fear is mindboggling (something like Jesus cutout with both hand open when you enter from one town to another (a.k.a welcome to Sajjanpur type :) )
(4) The extremely rich, politically powerful are part of this cabal.

Another myth is all this %change happened during YSR rule. Dalit-Christians have BC category reservations since 30+ years in AP. Missionaries actually increased multi-fold in AP in 80s and 90s under the nose of TDP government.

The real conversions of Reddys/Kammas actually happened even before independence and until 1960s. Crypto-Christianity is the hall-mark of conversion until 70s.
+1 Excellent post ! I think real danger is with newly converted ones who are evangelicals. The older converted ones are not evangelists and they don't disassociate their native culture. But I don't who'll ring the bell and stop this.
bhavani
BRFite

Post by bhavani »

Money is flowing like water in AP. According to some estimates around 30000 crores have been spent in AP elections. Vizag is definitely for TDP+BJP team, an estimate 400 crores are being spent in Vizag by YSRCP.

YSRCP is spending money like anything, Our driver was saying that yesterday around 4 crores were distributed in the Arilova area. Arilova is a lower middle class area. It is definitely not a slum. Everything is being given just not money, and liquor but cellphones and even Bikes are being given.

A Contestant has given 500 Honda bikes to young men like drivers etc on installments with promise that if he wins the elections he will pay the rest of installments or else they will have to pay the remaining remaining installments. Now these young men are doing everything to get this guy elected.

http://deccan-journal.com/content/30000 ... ections-ap

http://deccan-journal.com/content/vote- ... vs-mobiles
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Bhavani, Wont the EC get involved if such money is spent?
bhavani
BRFite

Post by bhavani »

EC would never know, Money gets transferred secretly at night and is being distributed through various channels.

In 2009 elections i myself saw a Tata Sumo with money bags distributing money for the TDP candidate in Vizag area. In Andhra everybody thinks that spending money is norm in elections. In fact most of the times people just take money from both candidates and vote for who they like. Even in the small ZPTC elections they were paying upto 2500 rupees per vote. In last election the Vizag candidate for TDP MVVS Murthy spent around 80 crores but still lost.

Some poor people even to this day think that if they don't vote for the candidate they took money from, then the candidate will know about it and will harm them.
Shanmukh
BRF Oldie

Post by Shanmukh »

ramana wrote:Bhavani, Wont the EC get involved if such money is spent?
Nandan Nilekani spent 100+ crores without any EC interference, no?
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

ramana wrote:Bhavani, Wont the EC get involved if such money is spent?
What EC when there are tooooo much of money. They are also culturally APites and they can be bought out too. Paisa lo power undhi. :)
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

bhavani wrote:EC would never know, Money gets transferred secretly at night and is being distributed through various channels.

In 2009 elections i myself saw a Tata Sumo with money bags distributing money for the TDP candidate in Vizag area. In Andhra everybody thinks that spending money is norm in elections.
Why doesn't anyone take pictures and post on SM then ? If this is so rampant, it should be quite easy to do.

Also, how much would it help if NM can assert that if he comes to power, he will ensure a memorial to PVNR in New Delhi ? If there's a past PM deserving of a memorial, as opposed to Charan Singh or worse, SanjayG, it is PVNR.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

>>Why doesn't anyone take pictures and post on SM then ? If this is so rampant, it should be quite easy to do.

And the people who are doing this would allow the taking of pics without violence?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

So they distribution of money and incentives is both rampant, and every trace of it is so authoritatively controlled that nothing appears on SM ? Not furtively taken pics ? Not pics of the cash or goods after the party men are gone ? Nothing, even though this is being passed out like water ?

I'm not claiming here that I don't believe money isn't being used to lubricate voters. But considering the polarized nature of the elections, doesn't the opposition have any interest in using SM to slow the process down ? A lot is mentioned, but very little is actually shown. Raising a stink using imagery or video has proven itself a far more powerful tactic lately. I'm surprised no one has used it.
yvijay
BRFite

Post by yvijay »

Suraj wrote:
bhavani wrote:EC would never know, Money gets transferred secretly at night and is being distributed through various channels.

In 2009 elections i myself saw a Tata Sumo with money bags distributing money for the TDP candidate in Vizag area. In Andhra everybody thinks that spending money is norm in elections.
Why doesn't anyone take pictures and post on SM then ? If this is so rampant, it should be quite easy to do.

Also, how much would it help if NM can assert that if he comes to power, he will ensure a memorial to PVNR in New Delhi ? If there's a past PM deserving of a memorial, as opposed to Charan Singh or worse, SanjayG, it is PVNR.
I think PVNR is not that popular in AP. He moved to Central politics long ago leaving behind state politics. His name won't get votes like MGR or NTR.
bhavani
BRFite

Post by bhavani »

Suraj wrote:

Who would like to get Killed? There is a lot of muscle behind any of these candidates. There were some grainy videos of money distribution, but no proper proofs till now.

I dont think a statue of PVNR will help much. Most of the people dont understand what PVNR actually he did for the country or state. They are quite oblivious of any real facts. I think people have short memories.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

the money being caught is hilarious and the guys who are getting caught are fools. The money in bags moves about eight months ago to as granular as booth level. Those people who are doing in the last minute without plans are getting caught. Election distribution is CMMI level 7 process. The process steps include violence. Media houses also are paid not to carry stuff.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

So its like lets bell the cat type of question?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Sorry, ascribing that much omnipotence to one party just sounds dubious. Does TDP not have any muscle behind them at all ? There are a whole lot of ways the evidence can be documented and published online with a degree of anonymity, including showing the cash packets, the items handed etc, after the people are gone. Especially when the reference to the voter bribery seems pretty specific about who was given what, where and when. Raising a huge stink using one good sting can do plenty at a time like this.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

It is like this. In a bye-election of Nellore LS, Jagan spent 1000 rs per vote, TDP spent 500 initially and then another 200 per vote later. INC spent 500 per vote. Jagan won, INC 2nd and TDP 3rd.

In 2004, Lagadapati spent 80crore for Vijayawada seat. His spending other than cash bribes/liquor is show off. You won't get any hotel room or even a prostitute because all are booked. No taxi/auto available and if you ask they will say all of them are booked for election duty.

The labor class for every 100 votes there is a leader. These 100 votes come to you if you get the leader vote. The leader(in normal days he will be just daily wager) has to be taken care with AC hotels and supply women. Then he will get his 50 to the booth to vote for you. It will be very difficult to get even maid during election season because they are well fed and paid.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Women and AC hotel rooms also get supplied for those rebels and independents to make them withdraw from contests.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

There are new tactics now.

People are given paper vouchers, which can be encashed at selected Petrol stations, kirana shops, liquor shops etc., The bikes etc are for booth level leaders.
KLP Dubey
BRFite

Post by KLP Dubey »

Muppalla wrote:You won't get any hotel room or even a prostitute because all are booked.
How do you know - were you trying to book one? :D If facing any problems in "ladies booking" pliss to call minister P. Chidambaram saar.
Last edited by KLP Dubey on 25 Apr 2014 03:29, edited 1 time in total.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Suraj wrote: Why doesn't anyone take pictures and post on SM then ? If this is so rampant, it should be quite easy to do.
Why pics and SM, it is shown on media sometimes live.

what can EC do? Cancel elections and redo it? This gets repeated. EC already caught >100 crores nearly 10days before 1st phase. Real money gets distributed the night before elections.

If a family has 4-5 votes, they will get anywhere 30-50,000 which is a good amount. Some pay them to go out to vote, some for not voting.

The clean up has to start from top.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Muppalla wrote:You won't get any hotel room or even a prostitute because all are booked.
KLP Dubey wrote:
How do you know - were you trying to book one? :D If facing any problems in "ladies booking" pliss to call minister P. Chidambaram saar.
I know someone will ask like that :).

In 2004, I had a boss (also a friend) who was on GC went from US to India to contest an MLA election. (name and constituency will not be revealed as you can find him and speculation is fine). He got a call from CBN (then CM) to contest from a carefully planned constituency with caste config etc. This fellow is a very nice NRI who used to be like take care of health via mineral water and then get scared when drivers drive in India type. After clinching the seat, the first thing that was discussed is investments and share. How much you will invest Vs part investment. He said he can afford only couple of crores. For MLA in 2004 that is moderate spending. The party will spend another crore. After carefully budgeting then he has to take few managers who are loyal to manage the finances. His constituency is rural and he has to go to nearest biggest city to get cars, etc to his town so that he can create a road show or rally.

Then he went to Vijayawada where Lagadapati was contesting on INC ticket for the first time. He recounted all the stuff that is needed in an election campaign. I just reproduced whatever he said. He lost the polls anyway. TDP did not give him ticket in 2009 and 2014. He permanently settled in India doing some consultancy biz and he sold off his 1 million dollar home to clear debts incurred. (no exxagaration and this is a true story. I am only hiding the identity). He is such a nice person who was a scientist in ISRO before venturing US career and going back after a debacle in Indian elections. He is one who thought like anyone of here on BRF to do something and took the first opportunity but failed. He is still very visible and I wish someday he will get a good opportunity in some form.

Another validation was from folks where I live here in US. A community that is half a mile away from where I live are homes that are costing about 2 million apiece with two golf courses adjoining. We have several sons/daughters of India's politicos. I have a relatively poorer friend who lives in that complex and used to commute to work with me. We used to car pools as both of us were on same assignment. Now his father also lost polls on INC ticket from a constituency in Krishna Dt. He told threadbare from start to end of an election campaign.

Supply of money, material, women and facilities based on nature of the who and who is unavoidable in a lot of places in India during elections if you are in the contest. This is because they have made substantial part of the electorate used to this and the electorate will never vote to you if you don't do this.

By the way the Vijayawada TDP candidate Kesineni Nani spent 50 crore in the last six months to just prepare for the contest of the LS seat. Imagine how much he will spend during the election. He is the owner of Kesineni transport who runs a parallel bus services all over AP. His opponent is another industrialist Koneru.
shyamoo
BRFite

Post by shyamoo »

In AP, not sure of other states, politics is big business. Typically, businessmen support politicians to enhance their business prospects. Lately, they have cut out the middlemen and are entering politics themselves. Established politicians have in turn ventured into business to consolidate their position and wealth.

There is no way some one with no money can aspire to become a politician. And it is only getting worse.
member_28502
BRFite

Post by member_28502 »

Brahmananda Reddy was Christian.
TDP rule and CBN cosying up with Bush regime was the begining of the flood. Remember WH had a special council to propagate Christainity. Lot of Americans and EU whites men and women come as tourist (tourist visa and are by law prohibited to preaching and conversion business) and with a local guide always looking out for intruders asking questions or befriending
East Godavari is now the epicenter of conversion.

The only hope for Hinduism to survive is not allow OBC to fall into missionary flock.
vivek.rao
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek.rao »

I am telling you. Free up temples. let them use for good causes. Reconvert people. Reconverted people get jobs in the new trusts. Use incentives to destroy missionary plan
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

yvijay wrote: I think PVNR is not that popular in AP. He moved to Central politics long ago leaving behind state politics. His name won't get votes like MGR or NTR.
Now a din nobody cares about him even in his first constituency. I will relate some stuff later at an opportune time.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

I hope they rename Hyderabad airport after PVNR. That would be a fitting tribute.
devesh
BRF Oldie

Post by devesh »

I heard something from my grandparents today that has shocked me. I don't say this lightly. there are not many things about my extended family that "shock" me, simply because I know them for all that they are: good/bad/ugly, whatever maybe the case. but today, I'm forced to re-evaluate.

this is what my grandmother said: "nenaithe Velama-oniki vote-veyya. velamodu osthe 'dora nee banchene' aithadi. BJP-TDP osthadi Telangana lo."

that entire generation in the family is die-hard congressis. they've been voting INC since they started voting in the 50's. My paternal grandfather broke the trend and voted TDP/BJP twice in late 80's and again in 1999. but other than that, they were loyal Congress-voters. what I've heard today is like an overturning of all I've known about their politics.

the V's are dreaming of grand empires. they will rue the day they decided to put all their eggs in the T-basket. they still have a chance to save their legacies. but only 1 chance. if they revert to old ways, they will wish for the good ol' days of having TDP/INC cover under the broader AP.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Devesh garu, my family member are torn-up. All my T folks including sis-in-laws (they say one time chance TRS should get) are saying they want to vote for TRS and my APite relatives like my brothers, dad, mom are with TDP-BJP. I finally convinced the TRS voting folks to vote for TDP-BJP in parl and whatever for assembly :).
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

devesh wrote: this is what my grandmother said: "nenaithe Velama-oniki vote-veyya. velamodu osthe 'dora nee banchene' aithadi. BJP-TDP osthadi Telangana lo."
To capture exact sentiment the TDP-BJP divide in Telangana is very strategic. If you see the split, BJP is contesting places where there is massive T-sentiment. TDP is contesting places where the T almost looks like AP and City seats. Tribal seats gone to TDP. The alliance did the best but I don't how much BJP will actually spend and campaign.
a_bharat
BRFite

Post by a_bharat »

Special court orders CBI probe into KCR’s assets
Hyderabad: Less than a week before Telangana votes, a special CBI court in Hyderabad has directed the CBI to probe Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) chief K Chandrashekhar Rao's assets. Based on a private complaint lodged by a resident of Hyderabad Y Balaji Vadera, the special court has ordered the inquiry under the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988.

The inquiry has been ordered against K Chandrashekhar Rao, his nephew and MLA T Harish Rao and TRS MP Vijayashanthi, who is now Congress candidate from Medak Assembly seat.

In his petition the complainant said "Sri K Chandrasekhar Rao with a retinue of his personal relatives and other kith and kin formed TRS Party (Telangana Rashtra Samithi) and started amassing huge wealth, movable and immovable. Even though there were protests within the party and outside, the criticizing voices were muffled, by brute might and holding out physical threats. The acts of amassing cash and wealth in the form of immovable properties, farm houses, ships, and private seaports was a top secret in the inner circles, but fortunately, for the common good of the society and the state, the inner secretes (Palace secrets of Sri KCR) have been revealed by none other than his relation and important erstwhile party bigwig Sri M.Raghunandan Rao the 5th respondent herein."

"He seems to have been expelled from the TRS party and as such he mustered up courage to speak out in the open and exposing the true colours of Sri K Chandra Sekhar Rao. Recently Sri K Chandra Sekhar Rao suspended M Raghunandan Rao from the TRS Party. After suspension from the party Sri M Raghunandan Rao held a press meet on 15-5-2013 and levelled allegations against accused. The said M Raghunandan Rao claimed to be in possession of recorded proof in the form of CD's, to expose the corruption, nepotism and acts of blackmailing and extortion of cash for ransoms. The said Sri M Raghunandan Rao, went on record giving details of the quantity of money extortions, expensive cars, and valuable farm properties, challenged Sri K Chandra Sekhar Rao for an open debate in an open press meet. Some of the startling revelations have appeared both in the Local media and the news media and the electronic media," the petition said.

"It is submitted that several serious allegations of extortion of money by T Harishrao, MLA, Siddipet, nephew of Sri K Chandrasekhar Rao and Smt M Vijaya Shanthi, MP, Medak are also spoken to by Sri M Raghunandar Rao in a press meet and revealed some material evidence, and facts. Some of which are stated below."

KCR who is extensively campaigning across Telangana, has described it as a politically motivated case claims one of his supporters.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Last ditch effort by the dienasty to come to some kind of understanding with TRS. The worry for CON is that both the winner in Andra and Telengana will join NDA after the polls out of necessity(massive infusion of Central funds).
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

means something is happening in AP/SA
vivek.rao
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek.rao »

Muppalla wrote:Devesh garu, my family member are torn-up. All my T folks including sis-in-laws (they say one time chance TRS should get) are saying they want to vote for TRS and my APite relatives like my brothers, dad, mom are with TDP-BJP. I finally convinced the TRS voting folks to vote for TDP-BJP in parl and whatever for assembly :).
Tell whole of India will be thankful to them for it.

I don't get TRS though. A total dynastic crook ...
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

devesh wrote:
this is what my grandmother said: "nenaithe Velama-oniki vote-veyya. velamodu osthe 'dora nee banchene' aithadi. BJP-TDP osthadi Telangana lo
Meaning?
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

Kakkaji wrote:
devesh wrote:
this is what my grandmother said: "nenaithe Velama-oniki vote-veyya. velamodu osthe 'dora nee banchene' aithadi. BJP-TDP osthadi Telangana lo
Meaning?
<Translation>
this is what my grandmother said: "If I am I will not vote for Velama guy. If that Velama guy comes, it becomes 'Lord I'm your slave'. BJP-TDP will come in Telangana.
</Translation>

Velama (guy) here refers to KCR of TRS as he belongs to Velama caste. "Banchen Dora" cultur refers to slavery/bonded-labor culture that was prevalent across Telangana and perpetuated by the Doras (Some people from Velama, Reddy castes in Telangana) in Nizam times.

Besides throwing away Nizams in Telangana, Visalandhra communists had goal of removing this "Banchen Dora" culture. Telangana Sayuda Poratum (Telangana Armed struggle) started first at village level against those Doras before Nizam government involved and got escalated to eventual police action to free Telangana.

NTR Mandalization (different from VP Singh Mandalization) removed Patel-patwari system and divided AP districts further into Mandals (made up of a few villages) to bring administration to Mandal level to kill old habits of Banchen Dora culture.
Last edited by ShyamSP on 25 Apr 2014 21:34, edited 2 times in total.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

devesh wrote:I heard something from my grandparents today that has shocked me. I don't say this lightly. there are not many things about my extended family that "shock" me, simply because I know them for all that they are: good/bad/ugly, whatever maybe the case. but today, I'm forced to re-evaluate.

this is what my grandmother said: "nenaithe Velama-oniki vote-veyya. velamodu osthe 'dora nee banchene' aithadi. BJP-TDP osthadi Telangana lo."

that entire generation in the family is die-hard congressis. they've been voting INC since they started voting in the 50's. My paternal grandfather broke the trend and voted TDP/BJP twice in late 80's and again in 1999. but other than that, they were loyal Congress-voters. what I've heard today is like an overturning of all I've known about their politics.

the V's are dreaming of grand empires. they will rue the day they decided to put all their eggs in the T-basket. they still have a chance to save their legacies. but only 1 chance. if they revert to old ways, they will wish for the good ol' days of having TDP/INC cover under the broader AP.
Not just Velama, but Reddys and Ashrafs also stand to gain if there is return to Banchan-Dhora days. TDP is trying to gain on that fear by putting up a BC as CM candidate.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

Kakkaji wrote:
devesh wrote:
Meaning?
English Translation:
"I will never vote for a Velama person. When velama guys come, it will be 'master, I am your slave'. BJP-TDP will come in Telangana".

My comments:
"banchen dora" was how the disadvantaged in telangana used to address their landlords. That memory is still ingrained in the common telangana folk. The land reform especially the communist and naxal movements still have support because of the role they played in overthrowing that system. The removal of Patel-patwari system which was hereditary until 1980s was removed by NTR.

Those provide even today the cadres for TDP. However the memory is fading and dont expect miracles.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Would one of you AP experts please explain further as to who/what Velamas are here and how the Reddys or ashrafs are associated with the older landlord system ?
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

The overthrow of the telangana feudalism was possible only because of the heft provided by seemandhra feudals.

Caste - Dominance area
kamma - delta
raju - north coastal andhra
reddy - rayalseema and also all other areas
velama - telangana.

tdp is equated with kamma dominance. trs with velama dominance.

Also telangana is the only area where there was a overthrow which was decent in scope. Rest of the areas, the overthrow is ongoing as well as the backlash.