Nuclear Discussion - Nukkad Thread

amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Sanku wrote:
Funny approach IMVVVVHO.

Whats the hurry? Let the plane be designed completely first?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uncharitable (but human) possiblity: May be KS in his age is now restless and wants to see the nuclear transition through under his own stewardship? May be he is not confident of the people who will come after him??? :-?
You know this reminds me of the famous quote from Cardinal Newman
A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault.
International relations and dynamics between countries are not zero sum games.

Also when, if as say the plane is designed completely, it might just be obsolete and we'd be in the age of space ships. The what, we wait till we design a Death Star?

I guess what KS is trying to say is that we're ALREADY strong enough to take care of our national interests and we can move as we deem is necessary.

I know there's been a strong polarisation between those who think 123 is OK, if not perfect and others who think 123 is not OK.

It would also be correct to say that both sides have put forth extremely coherent viewpoints either way. Only time can tell which is path is right. But I'm sure of one thing, if 123 is the right way to go, then it's OK to go now and there's no need to let go of opportunity cost and wait 10-20 years for 123. If it's not right then it's not right now and it's not going to be right 10-20 years down the line.

One further point, just my opinion, it would have been better if you had not said KS is impaitent because of his age. Considering his seminal contibution, that's a very trivial charge to make.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Calvin wrote:Ramana - how does that square with Mulford's comments?
Quite well. Its the old carrot and stick policy. Mulford offers the stick and the US SD offers the carrot and karat at the wrong ends. This way the system is paralysed.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2007/09/366014.shtml
Air Force refused to fly weapons to Middle East theater
By Wayne Madsen
Sept. 24, 2007
Author's website

WMR has learned from U.S. and foreign intelligence sources that the B-52 transporting six stealth AGM-129 Advanced Cruise Missiles, each armed with a W-80-1 nuclear warhead, on August 30, were destined for the Middle East via Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana.

However, elements of the Air Force, supported by U.S. intelligence agency personnel, successfully revealed the ultimate destination of the nuclear weapons and the mission was aborted due to internal opposition within the Air Force and U.S. Intelligence Community.

Yesterday, the /Washington Post/ attempted to explain away the fact that America's nuclear command and control system broke down in an unprecedented manner by reporting that it was the result of "security failures at multiple levels." It is now apparent that the command and control breakdown, reported as a BENT SPEAR incident to the Secretary of Defense and White House, was not the result of a command and control chain-of-command "failures" but the result of a revolt and push back by various echelons within the Air Force and intelligence agencies against a planned U.S. attack on Iran using nuclear and conventional weapons.

PROJECT CHECKMATE was leaked in an article by military analyst Eric Margolis i :eek: n the Rupert Murdoch-owned newspaper, the /Times of London/, is a program that involves over two dozen Air Force officers and is headed by Brig. Gen. Lawrence Stutzriem and his chief civilian adviser,
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

I have been reading through this thread history. Excellent collection of thought and opinion by BRF. My congratulations to them. Points and counterpoints. Shiba, Ldev, Emsin, Calvin, Joshjohn, Saik can name so many others have done excellent work on this forum to elucidate the numerous issues to this deal.

While there have been some amateurish arguments to shelve this deal, quite in consonance with the left, i still don't buy that MMS would sell this country. Neither i buy this deal is outright bad for us. We do run short of Uranium, unless someone proves concretely we have plenty. We do need energy, undisputed. We do want to see our strategic programme unhurt because of this deal.

This deal does'nt really impact all the above so seriously. We need to step up and think this deal may really be good for India today. Maybe tomorrow we may not get this benefit. Simply because there is no one prodding the same from top in the US. Obama if the first black US Prez will never shake the White NPA community. HE'll abide and keep his seat safe. Nor will Hillary as the 1st female PM do so. She personally doesn't look too enamored with India like Bill and Chelsea do.