Indian Nuclear News & Discussion - May-2008

Rangudu
BRFite

Re: Indian Nuclear News & Discussion - May-2008

Post by Rangudu »

Acharya wrote: I dont believe in conspiracy theories.
Acahrya garu, You have a right to have that view but with all due respect there are many of us who believe that ascribing motives to every random US personality's statements or meetings with anyone connected with India etc. is by definition a conspiratorial view of things.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Rangudu wrote:
Acahrya garu, You have a right to have that view but with all due respect there are many of us who believe that ascribing motives to every random US personality's statements or meetings with anyone connected with India etc. is by definition a conspiratorial view of things.
But I dont beleive in ascribing motives -such things.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Maybe my wording offends you (If it does, please accept my apologies) but I was referring to posts such as this one. There are others but look at this one.
Left and WB had lot of visits to Kolkatta in the last 18mths from industrialists such as Swaraj Paul, Tata and Infosys. All these companies have put money in the lobby to get the deal passed along with the US companies in the Chambers of commerce. Only thing is that they failed to look at the fine print regarding testing and future path of the strategic program for the country. How did this happen. Was there nobody to look at this fine print or was it a tacit agreement.
To me this is clearly a conspiratorial view. Those companies support this deal because they expect $$ from increased US-India commerce. It is not reasonable to tie those companies' view to nuclear testing. Companies don't give a rat's ass whether this deal thwarts testing or not. They have no reason to read or not read the fine print.

Other argument you made was to tie this deal to US-China economic conference. I'd be willing to bet my retirement savings that not one word regarding India-US nuclear deal was ever mentioned in US-China economic meetings. They have too many serious issues such as Yuan appreciation, trade deficit, IP rights etc to discuss. These sorts of things IMHO distract from serious arguments for or against the deal.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Good, I wanted to see in whose side do you stand. It is not with the govt but with the lobby people.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Acharya wrote:Good, I wanted to see in whose side do you stand. It is not with the govt but with the lobby people.
:?: I don't understand what you are saying here. Are you saying that I'm a lobbyist? :-?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Er folks - I have a question.

What if the nuclear deal is signed - say in 3 months time.

What will happen to India (as a consequence of the deal in)

1) 10 years
2) 20 years
3) 50 years
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

There will be electricity in remote and forgotten villages. There will be plenty of electricity to run the industries in the industrial downs. Etc.

In next 20 years, I do not see a need for test. I have a firm faith in the 1998 tests. However, we need to continue with the design and development of new weapons' system.

Just my humble view.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

From Pioneer on the UPA Left mtg that got moved to June 25th
Govt makes last-ditch effort to salvage N-deal

PTI | New Delhi

Ahead of Left-UPA meeting on India-US nuclear deal, the Government on Wednesday night made a last-ditch attempt to salvage the agreement but the Left parties maintained that they continued to oppose the deal, including the India-specific safeguards agreement with IAEA.

External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee, the Government's pointsman on the deal, had a meeting with CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat here late this evening for about half an hour, after which he met Union Minister Kapil Sibal separately. :?:

This was the second meeting between Mukherjee and Karat in 24 hours after their previous meeting on Monday night when the Left's stand was once again conveyed to the Government.

Mukherjee, who heads the UPA-Left Committee on the nuclear deal is understood to have urged the Left parties to allow the Government seal the India-specific safeguards agreement with International Atomic Energy Agency, a plea that was rejected by the Left leader.
Why Kapil Sibbal and not the PM? Whats his locus standi?

Also the Left seems adamant about the next step. Why? As Mukherjee is saying there are other steps still to go beyond this one.

One thing is Pranab Mukherjee had earlier stated that he doesnt want the Govt to be aminority when it approves despite the US saying its OK with that. And Left wont pull till the govt moves ahead with the deal. So what does it portend?

Looks like trignometry where one of those at the corners get offed.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

On lunch break.
Why Kapil Sibbal and not the PM? Whats his locus standi?
Is this related to a conspiracy?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

No. Just want to know his role in the deal/veel.

I thought Mukherjee would talk to the PM and not a colleague. Thats all.

However that doesnt prevent others from looking at a CT angle. As he saying goes "Just because you are paranoid doesnt mean there is nobody out to get you". Thats what keeps US strong!
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

IIRC Kapil Sibal has been GoI's point person to explain the legal and procedural matters pertaining to the deal. It is liklely that he told Karat how the IAEA safeguards does not autmoatically lead to 123 approval or next steps with US.

As far as conspiracy theories go, it is okay to have a few people point out such things. But when paranoia becomes the primary analytical lens, then the only result is paralysis and dissension of the type - "You don't agree with me, so you must be on xxx's payroll"