Indian Road Development

Vick
BRFite

Indian Road Development

Post by Vick »

Hello y'all,<P>I thought that I would start a thread regarding some of the most important developmental projects going on in the country currently. The roads or more specifically the NHDP monitored roads that are getting upgraded and this has an important bearing on the future development of India.<P>Someone once said that wealth doesn't create roads but roads create wealth. I see the importance of development of roads in the country one notch below military development because roads become the lifeline of the country. Imagine a six-lane highway that stretches from Assam to Gujrat. Hopefully, soon, we wont have to imagine it.<P>I am sure people on the forum are well aware of the benefits of good roads as a lot of us live in the States or Europe and have experienced the highways. But let me add one more benefit to India. Imagine a bunch of 4 or 6 lane highways that go right up near the border with Pakistan and China. Althought, I know that the Chinese border is more complicated b/c of mountains. The military implications and applications of these roads would be invaluable.<P>So I would like to dedicate this thread to the collation of articles and to discussion regarding the development of roads in India. Feel free to post articles and opinion pieces relating to this topic. Also, please discuss amongst ourselves as well.<P>Thanks, I hope we learn and have fun.<P>
shim george
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Indian Road Development

Post by shim george »

How big are the highways of India? Are they six lanes? They would be at standards of the U.S which usually 6 lane. Go to <A HREF="http://www.poonabest.com" TARGET=_blank>www.poonabest.com</A> and go to transportation. You have some verynice pictures of the Mumbai-Pune expressway and a nice little article. You should go and visit the site.
SaurabhG
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SaurabhG »

I had started a thread some time ago.<BR>It was called something like " Another Expressway Starts" and had started with news about Delhi Noida Flyway.<BR> That thread had grown to include a lot of other highway/expressway news and views.<P> Maybe admins can find that one and merge the two threads..
ArunK
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ArunK »

I checked out the poonabest site. Quick question...why aren't the lanes properly marked? Why is there no centre line (Solid Yellow double line) seperating two way roads?<BR>Why no shoulder?
Sahastra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sahastra »

Does anyone has any news about what's happening on one of the worst nightmares of Bombay traffic, the flyover at Andheri. Some PIL, filed more in some vested interest than the public interest almost killed the ambitious plan to have freeway from Borivali to Bandra on the western express highway. While i was returning from india (feb.), the work seemed to have started again but hadn't caught up yet. And traffic congestion at that point was just terrible.

Post by Guest »

In building the Bombay-Pune expressway the Shiv-sena BJP government looted the state ex-checher of 400 crores. While not many people know that the project cost was only 95 crores! This was the part of the MUTP I report which was filed partially by non other than Larsen and Tubro one of the prime beneficiaries to the expressway later! This was an ideal case of fooling the public. If a citizen like em sitting 12000 miles away knows whats happening in the Surface Transport Ministry in Bombay, I bet the opposition too did know and had an active hand in it! <BR>Moreover, Bombay boasted of 60 odd flyovers one the past 5 years! It was not strange that Bal Thackerey's pets Avarsekar and Jog owning Unity and Jog constructions bagged almost half the tenders at bloated prices. The effect.. within a year of construction there were pot holes on the flyovers as well as major cracks in the girders! <BR>I heard somewhere that the present incumbent Deshmukh government blamed the earthquake for the cracks!! Couldn't help laughing my heart out. <BR>When will ignorant citizens in our country understand this gimmick!!
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ashwin:<BR><B>In building the Bombay-Pune expressway the Shiv-sena BJP government looted the state ex-checher of 400 crores. While not many people know that the project cost was only 95 crores!!!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Please quote any sources you have to back these claims, else it has no credibility.<P>The cost of the project is 1200 crores<BR>Source: <A HREF="http://www.msrdc.org/projects/mumbai_pune.html#SECTION" TARGET=_blank>http://www.msrdc.org/projects/mumbai_pu ... SECTION</A> <P>This was the lowest quoted amount (IIRC, the next bid by Reliance was 2500 cr.) Also, MSRDC were pioneers in India of modern project management without time or cost overruns. (except minor parts due to legal wrangling which was out of their control, Andheri flyover being an example).<P>All in all, even if there was some corruption in these projects, they have built good quality projects and on time.<P>Somebody mentioned the absence of road markings etc. in the expressway. The white lines are not visible from the angle of the picture since the roads are paved in cement concrete. However, they are visible on the road and meet international standards. Also, the picture of the tunnel is in its early days and now the traffic in the two directions are separated by New Jersey type crash barriers (the ones commonly seen on US highways tapering slightly to the top).<P>The main roads project that is coming up is the NHDP which includes the Golden Quadrilateral and North South East West Corridors. If any of you have been on the Delhi-Jaipur highway, it is of international standards. <P>By July, this highway would even have highway traffic management systems (contracted to Siemens for construction and operation) which includes traffic monitoring (CCTV), emergency management systems (call boxes every 500 meters, guaranteed rescue within 7-10 minutes), variable message signs (example, slow down since it is raining) etc. <P>While there are at-grade intersections on the NHDP highways (i.e. some intersections without underpasses/overpasses) and hence they are not strictly speaking expressways, the intersections are of high standards with separate turn lanes and signals. And important intersections have grade-separations like clover-leaf, trumpet or diamond interchanges.<P>And these systems are being replicated on every single Km of the NHDP. All in all, I am really looking forward to driving in India in 2003.<P>References<BR>1. <A HREF="http://www.nhai.org" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nhai.org</A> <BR>2. <A HREF="http://www.dqweek.com/content/top_stories/101051801.asp" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dqweek.com/content/top_stori ... 801.asp</A> <BR>3. <A HREF="http://www.the-hindu.com/2001/04/03/sto ... 03221d.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.the-hindu.com/2001/04/03/sto ... 21d.htm</A> <BR><p>[This message has been edited by Sridhar (edited 27-06-2001).]
shim george
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shim george »

TO me the Mumbai-Pune expressway looks like a 4 lane expressway. Is it 6 lane? I also am wondering if the NH8 already has the nice little gadgets provided in that article?
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shim george:<BR><B>TO me the Mumbai-Pune expressway looks like a 4 lane expressway. Is it 6 lane? I also am wondering if the NH8 already has the nice little gadgets provided in that article?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Shim:<P>The Mumbai-Pune expressway is 6 lane in most of the stretches, except some of the Ghat stretches and the tunnels (where they could not get environmental clearance for their initial plan that was for a 6 lane expressway).<P>The article says that the gadgets on NH8 become operational in July. The contract was awarded early this year.<BR>
Div
BRFite

Post by Div »

Some pics...<P> Image <P><BR>BRIDGING HOURS: Children sit atop a bridge overlooking the new Mumbai to Pune expressway, at Kamshet, a town 50 kilometres northeast of Mumbai, Thursday, June 28, 2001. Earlier the road trip to Pune, a distance of 170 kilometres, took nearly seven hours to reach due to narrow roads and heavy traffic, but with the new six-lane expressway, the distance has been reduced to 95 kilometres and takes less than two hours. The project has been financed by various financial institutes. (AP Photo/Sherwin Crasto) <P>
Amitabh
BRFite

Post by Amitabh »

That's incredible, from seven to two hours!<P>How do they plan on keeping cyclists and pedestrians from crossing the expressway at will? I know they have subways every few hundred meters, but how about barriers?
Mahadev
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mahadev »

Is the expressway open now?<P>Looks pretty impressive.
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

Nice pic, Div. Where is it from (i.e. which publication)?.
Div
BRFite

Post by Div »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mohan Raju:<BR><B>Nice pic, Div. Where is it from (i.e. which publication)?.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It was from <A HREF="http://www.indiatimes.com." TARGET=_blank>www.indiatimes.com.</A> <P>Try <A HREF="http://203.197.197.8/zoomimg.asp?imid=25075330" TARGET=_blank>http://203.197.197.8/zoomimg.asp?imid=25075330</A>
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

Same kind of expressway like the Mumbai-Pune Expressway is being proposed for the Delhi-Taj(Agra) route.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.economictimes.com/today/03infr04.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.economictimes.com/today/03infr04.htm</A> <P>My concern is what is the viability of this expressway when a NH is already being upgraded to 4 lanes? Also, what is the point of making a new expressway if the existing NH can be widened to 6 lanes?
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vick:<BR><B>My concern is what is the viability of this expressway when a NH is already being upgraded to 4 lanes? Also, what is the point of making a new expressway if the existing NH can be widened to 6 lanes?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>While the commercial viability of the expressway is open for debate, it has some advantages.<P>The proposed alignment for this expressway is along the upper bank of the yamuna (east bank in and near Delhi and north bank in Agra). The current highway is along the west-south bank. Therefore the towns and cities it would link are very different.<P>Secondly, the name of the expressway is actually somewhat misleading. It would actually be a Greater Noida to Agra expressway with the Delhi-Greater Noida expressway already under construction.<P>Thirdly, an expressway does not necessarily mean 6 lanes. This new expressway would have 4 lanes. And at least on the Delhi-Agra route, there is enough traffic for at least 6 lanes (100000+ pcu). So commercial viability is not under question. Our national highways do not have much right of way on both sides of the highway to expand beyond 4 lanes. Land acquisition for 6 lanes would often mean a lot of expense and time (due to litigation). Therefore, beyond 4 lanes, at least on the Delhi-Agra route, a greenfield highway like the Taj Expressway is the best option.<P>Lastly, the traffic count, particularly on a tourist route like Delhi-Agra, is not entirely exogenous to the travel time. What I mean is that if a true expressway comes up (NH2 is not a true expressway even though it has 4 lanes) and Agra is within 2-3 hours driving distance, the number of day-trippers would go up substantially. Personally, I think it is amongst the most viable routes in the country if implemented properly.<p>[This message has been edited by Sridhar (edited 03-07-2001).]
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Amitabh:<BR><B>That's incredible, from seven to two hours!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>These reports need to be taken with a pinch of salt. It takes about two hours to reach Panvel from south/central mumbai alone. Further, the article claims the reduction in distance from 170 to 95 km which is bunkum. The expressway is from Panvel to Dehu Road and hence is not really from Bombay to Pune. Mumbai-Panvel + Dehu Rd - Pune are several dozen km (though in total, the distance is lower than 170 km due to change in alignment of the expressway).<P>It takes about 4 hours, but even that is a huge improvement.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>How do they plan on keeping cyclists and pedestrians from crossing the expressway at will? I know they have subways every few hundred meters, but how about barriers?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Large parts of the expressway are already fenced on both sides and the rest would be fenced before final commisioning.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Sridhar (edited 03-07-2001).]
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Impressive picture. I am glad that finally state govts are realising the need for good roads. These are the arteries of the economy and the more good ones we have the better of we are for growth and prosperity. Reduced times saves the economy enormous costs. Hope these highways don't turn into bullock ridden traffic. <P>Sridhar since you seem most knowledgeable about Indian roads, can you educate this forum about future plans, new roads and what we can expect in the coming decade.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Key Road Projects in India<P>1. National Highway Development Project<P>This is the largest integrated road project in India. Totally 13252 Km of 4 lane divided carriageway highways (with some 6 lane and even 8 lane stretches depending on traffic volume) by converting existing (mostly) two lane national highways. Bypasses on all major towns on the way and grade separated structures (flyovers) plus service roads on both sides for ALL towns and villages on the roadside. The key parts of this project are<P>a. Golden Quadrilateral<BR>This connects the four metros of Delhi, Mumbai, Calcutta and Chennai along the sides of the quadrilateral.<P>Delhi-Calcutta NH2 1458 Km<BR>Calcutta-Chennai NH5/NH6 1430Km<BR>Chennai-Mumbai NH4/NH7/NH46 1285 Km<BR>Delhi-Mumbai NH8 1430 Km<P>b. North-South and East-West Highways: 7300 Km<BR>North-South: Srinagar to Kanyakumari with a spur to Cochin port - various NHs<BR>East-West: Silchar to Porbandar with a spur to Kandla port - various NHs<P>c. Port Connections: Spurs to Kandla and Cochin ports included in the NS and EW highways respectively. Tuticorin port connection to the NS highway. Other ports on existing GQ highways (Mumbai, Vizag, Paradip).<P>d. Other important roads - Chennai-Trichy-Madurai corridor<P>NHDP is a 60000 crore + project, with a major part of the funding coming through the Re 1 per litre cess on both petrol and diesel. Some parts are funded by World Bank/ADB. Some commercially viable stretches are being developed on BOOT/BOT basis.<P>The GQ part is due for completion by 2003 (and proceeding without any time or cost overruns till now). The whole project is scheduled for completion by 2007.<P>2. PM's rural road project<BR>This is still in the conceptualization/design phase. The cess on petrol/diesel yields about Rs. 10000 crore evey year. Rs. 5000 crores go to NHDP and the rest to this project and hence it is a massive project too. The aim is to connect every village with population 1000 or more to a national/state highway through an all-weather, paved road of international standards by 2005 and all villages above 500 by 2009. Very ambitious indeed considering that less than 25% of villages are connected by any road, leave alone a properly paved road. The length of roads to be constructed would be about 40000km.<P>3. Individual states' plans<P>a. Maharashtra - the most ambitious of the lot, but in trouble now due to funding issues. MSRDC has already executed the Mumbai-Pune 6 lane expressway. <BR>The Mumbai Transportation project (50 flyovers) is substantially completed and the rest is under construction. The Bandra-Worli sea link project is also under implementation and would be completed by 2003. There are plans to extend this to Nariman Point to form the west island freeway. <BR>The most ambitious project of this state (but difficult due to funding issues) is the Trans Harbor Link that would connect Gateway of India to New Bombay by a 25 Km long bridge over the sea. Is probably commercially viable but requires Rs. 8000 crores in investment. <BR>Other plans include a Mumbai-Nashik 4 lane expressway, Mumbai-Sawantwadi (Goa border) expressway.<P>b. Gujarat<BR>Has a huge number of kilometres of the GQ and EW highways and hence does not need to construct new expressways (Kandla, Jamnagar, Ahmedabad, Vadodra, Surat, Bharuch etc. are already connected by these projects). Built the first BOT expressway in the country from Baroda to Halol. Other plans include a massive plan to convert all state highways to 4 lane international standards.<P>c. Karnataka<BR>Bangalore-Mysore expressway - has been talked about for a long time, but no real progress.<P>d. Uttar Pradesh<BR>Taj Expressway - bidding process just started<BR>Delhi-Noida-Delhi Flyway - a 7 Km long tollway already functional<BR>Noida City Expressway - 15Km long, nearing completion (though the name is good, it is a high speed road but without controlled access)<BR>Noida-Greater Noida Expressway (similar to Noida City Expressway, but 4 lanes).<BR>Morodabad Bypass - Toll Road being executed on BOT basis<BR>Kanpur-Lucknow Expressway - NHAI execution as a spur to the Delhi-Calcutta highway<P>e. Andhra Pradesh<BR>World Bank aided project to convert several state highways to international standards. Several four lane highways and even two lane highways would have international standards of riding surface and safety.<P>f. Tamil Nadu<BR>Two BOT bypass projects completed - Coimbatore Bypass (L&T), Madurai (Corporation Owned but tolled)<BR>Chennai Inner Ring Road / Outer Ring Road - Elevated Tollways (conceptualization/design phase)<BR>East Coast Highway - Handed over to TNRDC (an ILFS company) for improvement of riding surface/safety infrastructure and maintenance. Would be a tolled road.<BR>Elevated Expressway on Mount Road, Ennore Expressway - Expression of Interest by CIDB of Malaysia<BR>Like Gujarat, fortunate to have most of the important corridors connected through the NHDP projects.<P>g. Delhi<BR>National Capital Expressway (ring road around the capital - other than the inner and outer ring roads that already exist)<BR>Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway - part of GQ projects, but this stretch would be 8 lane access controlled expressway.<p>[This message has been edited by Sridhar (edited 03-07-2001).]
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Besides the scale of the projects themselves, the other plus point is the professional manner in which they are being executed. NHAI came out with model concession agreements for various means of executing these projects (BOT route/annuity route etc.) They did not adopt half solutions, rather they are incorporating all necessary features right in the beginning. For instance, every single bridge being built has six lanes even though the roads themselves are only four lanes. This is to accomodate any future expansion. Only large companies are getting contracts worth Rs. 100 crore or more. And there is a transparent bidding process. Way to go!
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

A news feature about the Delhi-Noida-Delhi Flyway with a picture of the toll plaza<P> <A HREF="http://www.archidesignindia.com/magzine ... a-toll.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.archidesignindia.com/magzine ... oll.htm</A>
SaurabhG
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SaurabhG »

Here is the pic of Noida Expressway.<BR> It will connect Noida with Greater Noida<BR> <A HREF="http://www.noidaauthority.com/dev2k/gn_n_expressway.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.noidaauthority.com/dev2k/gn_ ... way.htm</A> <P>And here is the Delhi-Noida-Delhi Flyway which is already operational<BR> <A HREF="http://www.noidaauthority.com/dev2k/del ... bridge.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.noidaauthority.com/dev2k/del ... dge.htm</A> <P>And here is little about Taj Expressway.<BR> Taj expressway has three parts<BR>1) Delhi-Noida-Delhi Flyway, which is already operational<BR>2) Noida-Greater Noida Expressway, being constructed now<BR>3) Greater Noida to Agra, tenders invited.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.greaternoida.com/tenders/expressway.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.greaternoida.com/tenders/expressway.htm</A> <P>
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Thanks Sridhar. The scope and breath of projects is impressive. I hope these come to fruition quickly and the trend to better roads is a permanent feature. All those pictures are wonderful.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

More pictures at an L&T site - the Coimbatore Bypass project and the Toll Plaza for the bypass. Even though this is a two lane highway, it has good riding surface, shoulders, signals at all intersections and concrete guard posts.<P> <A HREF="http://www.ltramboll.com/highwayspg2-1.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ltramboll.com/highwayspg2-1.htm</A>
SaurabhG
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SaurabhG »

HI<P> I always wanted to see a picture of <BR> Baroda-Halol Expressway. <BR> Does anyone have one ?
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

Indians starting to get used to the toll-road concept<P> <A HREF="http://www.business-standard.com/today/test6.asp?menu=4" TARGET=_blank>http://www.business-standard.com/today/ ... ?menu=4</A>
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vick:<BR><B>Indians starting to get used to the toll-road concept<P> <A HREF="http://www.business-standard.com/today/test6.asp?menu=4" TARGET=_blank>http://www.business-standard.com/today/ ... ?menu=4</A> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Not quite. Except the Amer-Kotputli section of the Delhi Jaipur highway, toll collection has been pathetic on most toll roads.<P>The DND flyway, Mumbai-Pune expressway, Coimbatore bypass, Madurai Bypass, Baroda-Halol expressway are all seeing traffic at a fraction of what was expected. On the Mumbai Pune highway, which has a designed capacity of 120000 passenger car units per day, the current traffic is just 6500 pcus. The Bombay Pune highway continues to see traffic of about 80000 pcus even after the expressway has been opened.<P>The DND flyway is taking the first steps towards communicating to the consumer the economic benefits of using the toll road (less fuel consumption) rather than just harping on the time saved. Time saving alone does not seem to attract enough traffic. We need much more of this awareness-building before we really start seeing these highways used.
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

NHAI to connect all ports to GQ network<BR> <A HREF="http://www.economictimes.com/today/19infr02.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.economictimes.com/today/19infr02.htm</A> <P><BR>This is exactly the kind of focused public spending we need. Rather than the broad subsidies that are the norm now. Developing the basic and rudimentary infrastructure now will pave (pun intended) the way higher growth in the future.<P>Also, aside from allowing freer movement of goods and services good roads are an integral part of mixing the population of the country and exposing people of one region to peoples of another. Goes a long way for national integration.
Rudra
BRFite

Post by Rudra »

Toll collection can improved by forcing<BR>interstate trucks to use these roads. In<BR>many countries trucks are banned from using<BR>interior roads.
Kamal_raj
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Kamal_raj »

<A HREF="http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/today/bn05.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/today/bn05.htm</A> <P>This concept sounds quite innovative !!!<P>
Rudra
BRFite

Post by Rudra »

wherever bypass roads are available, usually<BR>trucks are banned from entering 6:00am -8:00pm ish. Most cities in India have highways bypassing them.<P>But I was talking about the long haul tollways that will be built. Knowing our<BR>thuggish truckers, they WILL try ot worm <BR>their way thru every mud road in the countryside just to beat a few 100 /- of<BR>tolls between say delhi-chennai. ofcourse<BR>the local constabulary will encamp on these<BR>migratory paths to "feed" off the fat going<BR>by Image so in effect if these toll roads are<BR>kept clear of the constables and goonda tax collectors truckers will save both money and<BR>time. <P>maintainance costs & fuel costs will also<BR>decrease. its been estimated by 20,000cr <BR>with only modest improvements. <P>truckers ofcourse need to get used to the<BR>idea of preventive maintanance instead of<BR>waiting for a axle to break. on my daily<BR>commute gurgaon-palam in 97 & 98, I could<BR>see atleast 3 trucks (overloaded & badly<BR>kept) with front or rear axles broken lying<BR>like dead elephants on the side.<BR>
Nikhil Shah
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nikhil Shah »

kaydee01, please comply woth forum policy. Your id has been disabled.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Tolling is a very complex issue and requires a great deal of study in Indian conditions before we arrive at a good model.<P>Yes, the toll collection improves over time and hence the targets are also graded accordingly. The problem is that the targets have been unrealisticly set in the intitial projects like the Mumbai-Pune project etc. However, the good news is that better planning is being done for the NHAI projects.<P>The model NHAI seems to be (largely) adopting is the annuity based model or the shadow tolling approach. In both these models, the user does not pay tolls directly. Instead, the cess on diesel and petrol pays for it. The money from this cess goes into a separate account and does not enter the Govt.'s budget. The fund is legally protected and cannot be tampered around by the Govt. This approach seems the best for our setup where willingness to pay is very low. Over time, willingness to pay would build up and full direct tolling would be adopted. Even now, there would tolls on most stretches of the four lane highways, but that would not be the means for 100% finance. Even in developed countries with high willingness to pay, 100% direct tolling is not very successful.<P>The key thing to do is to not overinvest. There is often a lot of (unnecessary) prestige associated with 6 lane highways, as in the Mumbai-Pune case. Four lane highways with provision for expansion would be the way to go and that is the route NHAI is taking. Of course, on specific stretches, where six (or greater) lane highways make sense, they are being built.
Nikhil Shah
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nikhil Shah »

The key thing to do is to not overinvest. There is often a lot of (unnecessary) prestige associated with 6 lane highways, as in the Mumbai-Pune case. Four lane highways with provision for expansion would be the way to go and that is the route NHAI is taking. Of course, on specific stretches, where six (or greater) lane highways make sense, they are being built.<BR><P>I will argue that 6 or 8 lanes, in my opinion, has more to do with forward thinking (in terms of growth ) and driving pleasure (in terms of traffic density). What would be the cost of adding a 2 lanes to to 4 lanes later on instead of building 6 lanes or 8 lanes from the start? Other than the money cost, it would create a lot of hassel for drivers leading to traffic jams, bottlenect, accidents, higher fuel consumtion due to sub-optimal driving. When planning these roads, they should be planned for the growth in 100 years and than another lane added to it for emergency use, car pooling, or simply to reduce the density further and making driving a little easier. Hopefully, that will lead to do away with "Horn OK Please". <P>Can any body local educate me on what is being done for service/rest areas?
shim george
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shim george »

Hello everbody,<BR> I am in India at the current moment and I have been to Mumbai,goa, bangalore and my dear kerela. The roads in GOA are okay but no median. Same for every place except highways. In Kerela the roads are terrible with potholes everywhere but that is because of the rain.
Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

NHAI invites bids for laning of Delhi-Gurgaon highway<BR><BR> <A HREF="http://www.economictimes.com/today/11infr01.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.economictimes.com/today/11infr01.htm</A> <P>------------------<BR>Jai Hind<BR>Anurag
Subra
Webmaster BR

Post by Subra »

Bombay - Pune takes 5 hours - from Dadar to Pune stn. THis on a Saturday morning.<P>2 hours is pure bunkum. <P>The expressway reduces the worst case scenarios but leaves the best case scenario more or less the same. ie previous one could reach in 5 - 5 1/2 hours if no delay in ghats. But a delay meant anything from 7 to 14 hours.<P>Now it is generally 5 hours.<P>In fact the expressway starts only at Panvel and it takes a hell of a time just getting there.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Nikhil:<P>In the NHAI plan, all bridges ( a major cost and time factor) are being built for six lanes so that expansion is easy. Each lane costs Rs. 1 crore per kilometer and it is foolish to build more than you need.
Nikhil Shah
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nikhil Shah »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sridhar:<BR><B>Nikhil:<P>In the NHAI plan, all bridges ( a major cost and time factor) are being built for six lanes so that expansion is easy. Each lane costs Rs. 1 crore per kilometer and it is foolish to build more than you need.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So much would it cost to add it in future, how much would be the cost of fuel due inefficient driving because a lane was out and it ended up creating bottle neck. Please keep in mind that repairs in India are not an over night job and take forever.