shim george
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Indian Road Development

Post by shim george »

Abhaey
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Abhaey »

Cheers Shim.<p>Here in London, I have occasionally heard reports in the past that India is considered one of the most likely candidates for a new GP. 2003 had been set as a provisional date for India’s first GP, but I don’t know what’s happened about that. Personally, I would say give India two or three more years, build at least one world-class F1 track with supporting infrastructure, keep up the current momentum of demolishing terrorism on our soil, and then enter the F1 scene with a bang. I would love to see a few different tracks in addition to the one at Kolkata, and maybe eventually alternating GPs. <p>Would it not be great if we could build the ultimate driver's track within sight of the Taj Mahal! That would be awesome, and a big hit for India. Or maybe a stunning mountain track in Jammu, once we exterminate TSP's terrorist vermin in the region. That would dramatically boost the local economy and workforce, as well as symbolically remind the world that Kashmir is and has always been part and parcel of India.
Abhaey
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Abhaey »

By the way, do you/does anyone know of any up and coming racing drivers from India ? We have Narain Karthikeyan (still in Formula Nippon?) as well as a very talented young man who’s just joined the British F3 series. We have a Michael ‘Chumaktar’ equivalent in a major Asian Rally series too, who’s won at least one championship!<p>But, ultimately, I look forward to our very own Mahindar and Raj Jootibananewala, and nothing less. ;)
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Let's first build the infrastructure that is required to support an event like an F1 GP. Transport links (airports with connections all over the world, roads and expressways within the city and to the race track), hotels to house the hordes of people who would come, ..... Once these things are in place, the private sector could be encouraged to invest in an F1 track, not before that. <p>And Calcutta would be worst city possible on any of these counts - virtually non-existent infrastructure, horrible international airport (with no plans for upgradation), hotel capacity that does not meet even current demand, leave alone demand generated by a major event like the GP.<p>I would worry about more mundane things like converting one-lane highways into two lanes and two-lane highways into four-lanes semi-expressways :roll:
shim george
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shim george »

Abhaey,<p>
I believe Narain Karthikeyan is still in Formula Nippon. Not sure. Have not heard much. Last time was when he did a great test run for Jaguar. To lear more got to www.autocarindia.com and they have some f1 news there. <p> As far as an F1 trac goes, I agree wih Sridhar because Kolkatta would be a terrible place. I would want t in Banaglore. Weather is not that bad. What do you guys think. Have all the software companies in the background. Shows the 21st century India. Love that.
Agra F1 is not that bad either. But Agra has already got a lot of money from Tourist attractions.
How about Pune? Lot of car companies. A nice 6 LANE EXpressway to get there. Airport is there. Very Very close to Mumbai. Not bad. Itt is better than a kerala F1 (Kerela is definetly out of the question) which has terrible roads, very hot weather despite being my beautiful home state.
jkarthik
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jkarthik »

Formula drivers:
F3 and about to enter F1: NArain Karthikeyan
F3: Karun Chandok (Son of Vicky Chandok) and Naren Kumar (I think)
Formula Asia: Asif Nazir (Last year's JK Tyre GOKarting Champion, sponsored by them into F Asia)<p>An F1 track is part of the package proposed by Siemens-Zurich Airport consortium for Devanahalli International Airport, Bangalore. The package includes a professional class golf course and a 37 km long 6 lane expressway connecting the airport to the Outer ring road. The Golf course and F1 track are meant to pull traffic to the Airport. I thought a convention centre a la Pragati Maidan would've made sense. (Bangalore already has 3 golf courses and the latest one on Mysore road is a professional class one). a sidelight: Most 5 star hotels have suspended expansion plans bcos they want to put up hotels near Devanahalli after the airport comes up. One hopes somebody gives that project a push.
jkarthik
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jkarthik »

WRT one near the Taj, (if that does happen), pollution levels may pose problems. Already, all vehicles in the vicinity of the Taj have been converted to EVs. So, unlikely that they'll allow a bunch of Monoxide spewing, gas guzzling screamers belting around at 400 kph, with a bunch of monoxide spewing Qualises and sumos screaming down to Agra to watch the spectacle :) !!!! Tracks in Jammu, now that's an idea!!
Abhaey
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Abhaey »

I would expect that the Bangalore project does actually succeed in hosting our first GP, instead of the Calcutta project. Equally, I hope that there is no waste of the money/effort that has already been put into the Calcutta track, and that instead, it is completed to serve as a test/lower formulae track. <p>As for the Agra GP- well that is more of a fantasy really, rather like a New Delhi street circuit. :D But just picture the Taj in the distant background at the top of an Eau Rouge-type uphill chicane, or a Ferrari-Williams-MacLaren trio storming up to the parliament complex- an awesome if improbable prospect! [/daydream]
shim george
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shim george »

Abhaey,<p> I also would lov an Agra GP. I am imagining a beautiful Taj in theback. It is beautiful with the scenery. :p <p> Personally, the best place has to be Pune. IT has some good infrastructure as I hve already pointed out. What better MBIL , Tata can be sponsoring. <p> Anysuggestion on Hydeabad? I believe that soon it will become an international cty. hat do youguys think
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Now that everybody is giving their favourite picks for the location of the hypothetical race track, let me also jump in.<p>The best place really by all criteria is Chennai.<p>1. Good infrastructure - international airport with reasonable connections already, easily upgradable (with the tripling of airport capacity by December this year)
2. Good overall infrastructure - hotels (new hotels coming up on Mount Road, Airport Road). Already hosts the only international level sports event in the country - the ATP tennis event. Can be further upgraded.
3. Existing infrastructure - it has an existing race track at Sriperumbudur built to Formula Maruti standards. Can be much more easily upgraded than a greenfield racetrack. No land acquisition costs, no court cases, lower cost for the track itself.
4. Tradition of motor racing - hosts India's only racetrack event.
5. India's detroit - much as I love Pune, it does not have any automobile major who would fund race events because of their product profile and financial strength - Tata, Mahindra, Kinetic - take your pick. Chennai has Ford and Hyundai as the big players, but also MRF (big spenders by Indian standards on motor related events). Other players include Mitsubishi (Lancer plant) and plans by Suzuki for their second plant.
6. Four lane semi-expressway under construction to the race track site in Sriperumbudur. Can be upgraded if necessary (land already acquired for upto 8 lanes for most of the stretch).<p>Yes, Chennai would need upgradation of infrastructure, but it remains our best bet for a Formula-anything track, whenever that materializes.
jkarthik
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jkarthik »

Chennai will first have to change its mindset and upgrade its road infrastructure to at least Afghan standards before hosting any international events. My cousin attended the Tata open this yr and the "roads" around Valluvar Kottam etc were as smooth as the TELCO torture track! It is feared that the TATA open itself may shift to Bangalore next year! AFAIK, the track at Irungaattukkoattai is being used by Hyundai for Pre-shipment test drives, since their plant is right next to it! Unfortunately, the "Kazhagakkanmanigal" in TN seem to be too busy hacking each other's cadre to death to even notice that the roads dont exist anymore! One wonders whether they are even aware that India and Pak are on the verge of war!
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Ingersoll-Rand’s training institute for road builders<hr></blockquote><p>http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/jan23/b4.htm
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jkarthik:
upgrade its road infrastructure to at least Afghan standards<hr></blockquote>
Nice one there :) Also, they will have to ensure that the visitors for the event are rationed out more than one litre of water per head.<p>To be fair to the city, the roads were in reasonably good condition before the December rainy season began. Massive digging on various roads for infrastructure projects like OFC cables (for broadband, as well as basic telephony), storm-water drains on interior roads (ironical), LNG grid in some areas etc., followed by unexpectedly heavy rains caused the roads to crumble. Of course, poor planning (why dig just before the rains) as well as poor implementation (squabbling over who would resurface the roads) are to blame as well. Hopefully, it is a temporary feature, but there is not much hope in the immediate future considering the penury of the Chennai Corporation as well as the State Govt.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Another article on the Chennai-Pondicherry East Coast Road.<p> http://new.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=1045
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

An article on the opposition to the Bangalore-Mysore Expressway.<p>http://www.flonnet.com/fl1902/19020390.htm<p>Can anyone comment on the validity of the claims against constructing the highway? Especially the part about 3 existing corridors already in place.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Latest update on the NHDP (Jan 2002)<p> http://www.nhai.org/whatitis.htm <p>There are links on this page for updates on individual projects.
jkarthik
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jkarthik »

WRT Bangalore Mysore expressway: While the funda abt 3 corridors is correct and while the railway line can definitely be doubled, imho it would be incorrect to claim that no expressway is necessary.<p>Reasons:
1. The Kanakapura corridor is not exactly a great stretch of road, afaik. Though its smooth, no way it can be widened and straightened to take > PCUs<p>2. Mysore main highway is apparently in horrendous shape (takes 4 hours to reach the place, for ~160 km)<p>3. The eventual objective is to make Mysore an attractive Industrial destination. If the road conectivity is improved, there are a lot of Bangaloreans who may shift to , say, Infy's Mysore office, live in one of the 5 propsoed townships on the expressway, commute to work and come to Bangalore for some form of nightlife. This would move precious IT dollars into Karnataka heartland, paving the way for development. Improving the rail corridor is OK, but how many people are willing to take a train from Mysore to Bangalore in the weekend, freak out on MG and Brigade, and go back by train? Are these people willing to stay in Srirangapatna or MAddur,enjoy the lower Cost of Living there, commute to Mysore for work by train, use its pathetic local transpo to go to work from the station, come to B'lorefor nightlife again by train and use its pathetic local transpo to get to MG or Brig? Don't think its feasible. <p>4. If you widen the existing road into a limited access 4 lane expressway, where do the 2 wheelers and bullock carts go? (There are plenty of these on the Mysore road now)<p>5. I would think that development corridors are essential for K'taka, The B'lore-Mysore corridor and the B'lore-Tumkur-Belgaum corridor. Developing limited access roads in addition to the existing ones, with plugged-in green townships will greatly enhance development of KArnataka and decentralise it from Bangalore. The minus point is that the increased road transpo will cause more pollution, one needs to get around this problem somehow in the long run. The rail link improvement will not have this problem, though. <p>6. Karnataka has a good tourism industry, at one pt of time, it attracted the 2nd largest no of firang tourists after Rajasthan. Mysore is a big time destination and the expressway will only enhance the potential.
member_3867
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_3867 »

Work on last stretch of ring road progressing <p>Traffic snarls on Chord Road in City to ease by June<p>http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/feb07/iroad.htm
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

Mumbai-Pune Expressway project reveals ***** in BOT <p>Anil Sasi in New Delhi<p>The country's most-touted BOT road stretch's -- the 94 km Mumbai-Pune Expressway -- poor revenue generation from tolls on account of low traffic intensity has raised eyebrows on the potential of other build-operate-transfer (BOT) model road projects in the country. <p>Analysts place the blame for the lacklustre response to the Rs 1,630 crore project on the presence of a toll-free alternative-- the Western Ghat section of NH 4 -- between Mumbai and Pune and on shelving of the original plan to generate alternate sources of revenue, including setting up of a Rs 1,200-crore township alongside the expressway. <p>While MSRDC officials admit that toll collections has been much below expectations, they dismiss reports that they plan to sell of the facility immediately. <p>Officials contend that the high-speed road is still not entirely operational and since the facility is on a 30-year concession period, it is way too early to write it off as a failure. <p>According to industry sources, MSRDC is pinning its hopes on a Rs 650-crore bail out by the state government and also permission from the state government to liquidate its liabilities in the project. <p>"One of the main reasons for the dismal tolling results to the project can be attributed to the fact that it is not a captive project," a National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) official said. <p>The toll-free alternative on NH-4 connecting Mumbai and Pune, which is being upgraded presently under the NHDP, has continued to retain commercial traffic resulting in a lower than expected turnout on the expressway, the official said. <p>The real test for the expressway would be when NHAI also starts levying tolls on the NH-4 section, according to analysts. <p>Implementation of international standards in terms of access control for the project by MSRDC has also been a grey area, with cases of stray animals, slow moving traffic, repair cordons on the carriageway and people who break the fencing barricades has been a disincentive for paying commuters, they added. <p>According to analysts, abandoning of the original plan of real estate development alongside the expressway is another significant reason for projections falling flat. <p>The Rs 1,630-crore cost for the expressway, which includes escalation on account of inflation and interest during construction, is much lower than the Rs 3,500 crore bid by Reliance Industries, which was the only bidder for the project. <p>Reliance's bid was taking into account the revenue potential from development of real estate alongside the stretch, analysts said. <p>At Rs 2.8 crore per km, the construction cost is also significantly of MSRDC is below a Rites estimate of Rs 3.83 crore per km. <p>Despite the comparatively lower cost of construction, MSRDC's decision to overlook the potential of frills like a township and other alternate revenue sources for the project has resulted in lower than expected traffic. <p>MSRDC's lacklustre efforts at marketing the facility to traffic, especially the commercial segment of traffic has also been a problem, analysts said.
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

Builders to make Delhi-Gurgaon expressway and pay for it too!<p>http://new.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=2513
Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

jkarthik
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jkarthik »

I have a problem with this seat belt thing. Seat-belt installation in a car is slightly complex. First, the belt has to have a retractor, which lets the belt slip under normal forces, but catches the belt and holds it tight during impact forces. Some carmakers in India are selling belts without retractors, which, I thought, were basically useless. As far as I've observed, I couldnt find any belt length adjuster that you could set, so that when you where the belt, it is tight. Most belts were worn loosely, which doesnt serve the purpose at all. <p>Second, belt retrofitting appears to be done in a vague way. I've seen belts being sold at traffic signals in Delhi, somewhat like the yellow and blue clothes! Now, seatbelts are fitted onto the car body at 2/3 "mounting points". These mounting points are actually reinforced with extra plate elements and spot welds. The idea is to ensure that the floor doesnt rip open during a crash, when the seat belt pulls at a mounting point. Most cars that were sold prior to the seatbelt era do not have these reinforcements, in the interest of cost and weight reduction (esp the flimsy oriental ones). retrofitting belts to these cars wont serve the purpose , uless reinforcements are welded to the body at the points. <p>IMHO, the seatbelt retrofit must be done only at the authorised dealerships, and it must be ensured that good quality belts with retractors or clearly visible and easy-to-use adjusters are fitted, along with proper reinforcements to the body.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

jkarthik:<p>The Motor Vehicles Act of 1994 made it mandatory for car manufacturers to fit seat belts for the two front seats. AFAIK, adequate quality standards were laid down. Since the quality control was directly at the manufacturer's level, I guess they would be adhered to. Hence the problem that you point out is only for pre-1994 cars, of which there are significant number currenly, but as time progresses would reduce quite rapidly. The commercial vehicle renewal in Delhi has ensured that practically all taxis in service are of recent vintage.<p>As far as retrofitted seat belts are concerned, I agree that there are no quality standards at all. In fact, the non-retracting seat belts are not just less effective, they are positively dangerous and have the potential of converting an otherwise non-fatal situation into a fatal one. The other problem of course is the middle front seat in cars like the Ambassador and the fiat. They are not meant for a passenger to sit in and hence no seat belt is provided. But people regularly sit there and often it is children, who are the most vulnerable in the case of crashes. Therefore, the non-use of that seat must be strictly enforced.<p>The next step, that should have been taken long ago, is the mandatory fitting of rear seat belts by all car manufacturers and the introduction of child safety seats. These were not that critical until now due to low speeds on most intra and intercity roads. But with the introduction of expressways and fast corridors both within cities (in Mumbai and Delhi) and between cities (all over the country), it would be imperative to review safety standards and their implementation.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

I came across a unique flyover project being constructed in Chennai, on the GST road (Chennai-Trichy highway). While the report is about some problems with the project, it lays out some details of the project that are pretty interesting (if I understand them correctly)<p> http://www.hinduonnet.com/stories/2002021706540300.htm <p>This is the first flyover that I have come across that will have a rotary (roundabout/golchakkar) on the elevated structure, not below. It is being constructed at a major crossing in Chromepet, where there are two roads intersecting the highway. The highway below will have no crossings so that high speed traffic can flow. Traffic turning from the highway onto one of the four intersecting roads, or the traffic moving from the intersecting roads in any direction would take this flyover. The relevant portion is here:<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>The 1661-metre long overbridge has been designed to have a six-arm elevated rotary above the GST Road at a height of six metres. The width of the approach roads will be 6.5 metres and that of the service roads 5.5 metres. The rotary will have an inner diameter of 30 metres with an outer diameter of 47 metres to channelise traffic with ample space below to accommodate six laning of the GST Road.<hr></blockquote><p>I thought it was a pretty neat design, one that I have not seen anywhere or even heard about. Particularly surprising because it is not NHAI, but the state highways dept that is constructing it (perhaps on behalf of NHAI since GST road is an NHAI project). Does anybody have more info on this project? Paging jkarthik.
jkarthik
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jkarthik »

WRT elevated roundtana, there's one in Coimbatore too, IIRC. In fact, it was a multilevel one, with a road, a rail deck over it and the roundtana above the raildeck. Will find out abt this one in chromepet. Meanwhile, photos of the ORR, sorry abt the resolution, will rescan and get better clarity soon.<p>ORR Photographs
jkarthik
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jkarthik »

Stunning photo of Anna flyover<p>Irrelevant w.r.t. development, but just wanted to show-off :) Seen too many firang city snapshots of this type, just getting back on them :)
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

jkarthik:<p>thanks for the ORR pictures.<p>The Garden City Skyway, especially the cable-stayed main bridge will truly be a Bangalore landmark when complete.
Rudra
BRFite

Post by Rudra »

thanks jkarthik that was a great effort to
document and encourage people.
krsai
BRFite -Trainee

Post by krsai »

Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

This will be up only for a few hours, so take it while you can!<p>Pics of the Delhi Noida Expressway...Does'nt get better than this.. :) <p>http://64.108.212.107/expressway.exe<p>Cheers
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Anurag:<p>Did you manage to save the pictures? The site is already inaccessible. If you did, could you please put them up at a free site?<p>Thanks,
Sridhar
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

From Business Standard

Tada-Nellore road project to sew up financing soon

S Ravindran in Mumbai

The Rs 755 crore Tada-Nellore link, India's largest build-own-transfer (BOT) project in the road sector, is set to achieve financial closure in around a fortnight.

Various lenders to the project have already sanctioned the loans, while the equity portion has also been tied up.

The project, which links Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh, envisages the conversion of a two-way expressway into a four-way one.

"All the loan commitments have been obtained from the banks and financial institutions, and the formal documentation will be completed in around a fortnight leading to the financial closure of the project," sources said.

The project is being implemented through a special purpose vehicle -- Swarna Tollways. Four Malaysian companies -- IJM Corporation, CIDBI, WCT Berhad and Bhumi Highways -- have subscribed to the entire equity of Rs 238 crore of Swarna Tollways.

The Rs 350 crore worth debt, too, has been entirely tied up with the balance Rs 167 crore being given by the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) as a grant.

SBI Capital Markets, the investment banking arm of the State Bank of India (SBI), was the sole fund arranger for the project.

The Industrial Development Bank of India and SBI have committed Rs 150 crore and Rs 75 crore, respectively, to the project.

The Union Bank of India, State Bank of Patiala have sanctioned Rs 40 crore and Rs 20 crore, respectively, while both Punjab National Bank and the State Bank of Hyderabad have decided to give Rs 15 crore each.

SREI Finance, a non -banking finance company, has sanctioned Rs 35 crore.

The 147 km expressway is being widened in two phases. In the first phase, the 110 km link between Tada near Chennai and Nellore in Andhra Pradesh will be converted into a four-lane expressway.

In the second phase, the 37 km link between Ibrahaim Patnam and Nandigama located in Andhra Pradesh will be taken up.

The project has been awarded by NHAI for 30 years on a BOT basis. After 30 years, the asset will revert back to it.

NHAI is the nodal agency for implementing road policy in India. It is also responsible for the development, maintenance and management of national highways.

The authority is responsible for four laning and six laning of 14,000 km whose total cost has been estimated at Rs 58,000 crore. The authority raises around Rs 2,000 crore every year through a cess on petrol and diesel.
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

jkarthik
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jkarthik »

I passed the Anna Nagar Roundtana in Chennai recently and was surprised to find a sign reading "Caution: Closed Circuit TV camera". Any idea on this, anyone? Is Chennai police using cameras to monitor traffic movement? I think thats doable in Bangalore, where hidden cameras could be mounted in all intersections and the offenders penalised by post, with the photo of the offence and the offending vehicle. A lot of the traffic offenders are the cool IT dudes and can afford to pay stiff fines ;) which will be used to fund more cameras!
jkarthik
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jkarthik »

This is a DST-FICCI site inviting project proposals from interested corporations. Its a must see!!

List of infrastructure and roadway projects for which invitations are given

Of special interest are these:
Construction of Elevated Expressway along Inner Ring Road in Chennai

Chennai Elevated Expressway

Elevated expressway along Outer Ring Road, Chennai

There are several other expressway projects listed, but these are the urban projects, which I thought was interesting, esp in the light of our earlier discussion. The proposals list the cost/ km as Rs27 crores for a 4 lane road, 1997-98 prices. Does this mean that the cost has ballooned to Rs 60 crores per km in just 3 yrs?
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

I have seen that site and while it may have some information on various potential projects, it also has those for which there has been no initiation of the process. Also, the descriptions are not entirely accurate.

For instance,
1. The cost per Km for the three projects are in a relatively wide range (from 27cr for the second project to 40cr for the first).
2. The outer ring road is shown as an elevated road project, but if you see CMDA's website, it is actually a road that would be at-grade, but with a rail corridor planned in the middle. Also, it is a six lane facility that is being planned. So this site is wrong about at least this project.

I don't know why there is this difference, but my guess is that these highways would not be elevated all the way. There would be elevated stretches where land cannot be acquired and at-grade stretches where it can be. That is the way it is for the Gurgaon-Delhi expressway which is also often called an elevated expressway but will only be elevated for a part of the stretch. The average cost of that highway is approx Rs. 20cr. per km (of course, costs are lower there because a four lane road already exists and hence costs would be lower for the stretches where only widening is required).

BTW, if you see the sky bus metro site details, it costs Rs. 45cr per km (http://communities.msn.com/SkyBusMetroSolution. It involves a single central pillar and a T-beam on top (about two lanes wide approx) and with lighter treatments since it is a light rail project. I hope that would provide you some support (along with earlier support I provided you) for why a 30-35 cr per km (inflation from 27 crores in 1998) for a four lane elevated road is somewhat difficult to believe.
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

krsai
BRFite -Trainee

Post by krsai »

jkarthik
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jkarthik »

Wow, 45 cr a km for skybus itself?!!

I guess the discrepancy is bcos someone reading the first report in 98 wouldve pointed out that 40 cr was more realistic. 40 cr to 60 cr in 4 years is a reasonable growth (IIRC Cement prices have shot up sharply in the last couple of yrs), that itself will cause the inflation.

About Outer Ring Road Chennai, The Chindu reported that the road was already made and waiting for inauguration. Is the plan to upgrade this to an expressway, or to provide elevated express lanes for certain stretches? Does this road have a rail track running in the middle in the present avatar?