RIP: Sad demise of BRFite Prof. R. Balasubramaniam

Raju

Re: RIP: Sad demise of BRFite Prof. R. Balasubramaniam

Post by Raju »

ok.
Last edited by Raju on 11 Dec 2009 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

self deleted.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The sad loss of a truly great Indian.His work will remain as a testament to his dedication in his field of expertise and his pioneering work on ancient Indian metallurgy,a field in which the country today is sorely in need of experts like him.We were priviliged to have had him contribute to BR and express our sincere condolences to his family.May his soul rest in peace.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

He has moved on and is in god's hands now... may his loved ones find peace in his knowledge, vision and pride in his heritage. God bless such souls!!
aditp
BRFite

Post by aditp »

My condolences to the bereaved family. RIP Dr. Balasubramaniam
Avarachan
BRFite

Post by Avarachan »

Dr. Balasubramaniam, great son of India, may God grant you paradise. My deepest condolences to the family.
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

My condolences to Prof Balasubramaniam's family.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

It is indeed a very sad moment for us as we have lost a honored academic and a great soul to something as foul as cancer..
My heartfelt condolences to his family... may his soul rest in peace..
Prabu
BRFite

Post by Prabu »

RIP

VERY sad news indeed.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Rest in peace Prof Balasubramanian.

His family has my sincere condolences.
Anoop. A.
BRFite

Post by Anoop. A. »

My condolences to Dr. R. Balasubramaniam's family. May he rest in peace.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

My heartfelt condolences to Prof. Balasubramaniam's family. May his soul attain higher worlds and eternal bliss. I shall always cherish his post on BR about the glory of Bharat's acheivements in metallurgy. It was an eye opener.
nkumar
BRFite

Post by nkumar »

nkumar wrote:
ramana wrote:nkumar, Later can you post this thread on the obit page so his family can read about him and BR?

Thanks, ramana
ramana, I will sure post the link to this thread on IITK obit page. I will wait for a day or two for BRFites to express their condolences.
I tried posting the below message on http://www.iitk.ac.in/mme/obituary/ but site is not accepting it (I tried IE, Fireforx and Chrome), it is giving me the following error - "Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's family. Other messages can be read at RIP: Sad demise of BRFite Prof. R. Balas' at line 1"
Prof. Bala often used to inform the defense enthusiasts on http://www.bharat-rakshak.com about the ancient Indian metallurgy and Indian canons. BR community is very sad to know that they have a lost a great contributor. On behalf of BR, I express my condolence to Bala sir's family. Below are some of the messages from BR members.

The sad loss of a truly great Indian.His work will remain as a testament to his dedication in his field of expertise and his pioneering work on ancient Indian metallurgy,a field in which the country today is sorely in need of experts like him.We were priviliged to have had him contribute to BR and express our sincere condolences to his family.May his soul rest in peace. - Philip

My sincere and heartfelt condolences to Dr. Bala's family. Indeed, a great son of India and a teacher par excellence! His work will be a testimony of a life well lived and an inspiration for millions of Indians of as a glimpse into what it is to be an Indian. His work is a product of an unshackled mind with a full understanding of the legacy of bharitya thought. May God grant him peace and solace to his family. - Raja Ram

I distinctly remember him for his saltpeter comment in another thread and those words echoed in my ears for long time, that "India exported the saltpeter and, by that had the whole world blown up, including India"! Sad to note this tragic loss.
May your soul rest in peace! - dipak

Other messages can be read at
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a
Can any BRFite please post the above message on http://www.iitk.ac.in/mme/obituary/ ? Thanks.
PrithviRajChauhan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by PrithviRajChauhan »

Rest in Peace .. Sir
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

RIP sir.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

nkumar wrote:[quote="nkumar"

I tried posting the below message on http://www.iitk.ac.in/mme/obituary/ but site is not accepting it (I tried IE, Fireforx and Chrome), it is giving me the following error - "Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's family. Other messages can be read at RIP: Sad demise of BRFite Prof. R. Balas' at line 1"
Prof. Bala often used to inform the defense enthusiasts on http://www.bharat-rakshak.com about the ancient Indian metallurgy and Indian canons. BR community is very sad to know that they have a lost a great contributor. On behalf of BR, I express my condolence to Bala sir's family. Below are some of the messages from BR members.

The sad loss of a truly great Indian.His work will remain as a testament to his dedication in his field of expertise and his pioneering work on ancient Indian metallurgy,a field in which the country today is sorely in need of experts like him.We were priviliged to have had him contribute to BR and express our sincere condolences to his family.May his soul rest in peace. - Philip

My sincere and heartfelt condolences to Dr. Bala's family. Indeed, a great son of India and a teacher par excellence! His work will be a testimony of a life well lived and an inspiration for millions of Indians of as a glimpse into what it is to be an Indian. His work is a product of an unshackled mind with a full understanding of the legacy of bharitya thought. May God grant him peace and solace to his family. - Raja Ram

I distinctly remember him for his saltpeter comment in another thread and those words echoed in my ears for long time, that "India exported the saltpeter and, by that had the whole world blown up, including India"! Sad to note this tragic loss.
May your soul rest in peace! - dipak

Other messages can be read at
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a
Can any BRFite please post the above message on http://www.iitk.ac.in/mme/obituary/ ? Thanks.
Couldn't post the entire message so had to delete some content.. hope that's ok with you...
the link.. its under the name of bala vignesh s...

added later...

sorry about the formatting.. totally forgot about that was just experimenting to isolate the problem and posted the content with proper formatting...
nkumar
BRFite

Post by nkumar »

Thanks Bala.
Pattom
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Pattom »

Bala was a friend of mine whose room was three doors down from mine at IT-BHU. He was always pleasant and smiling, a really sweet guy everyone liked. He was also a talented musician - played drums in a band and taught himself Western classical guitar. His door would always be open and people would wander into his room to chat. Just two weeks ago I was talking to an American friend of mine whose Dad was a visiting prof in the zoology dept at BHU in 1982. He said he was fixing a flat tire on his bike by the roadside one day when Bala came along on his bike. He made friends with the American kid and brought him over to the hostel. We all became good friends and remain so to this day. I called our American friend today and informed him of our loss. It was poignant. Bala touched so many people with his warmth. Rest in peace, Machan.

Incidentally, his brother is R. Ravi, Carnegie Bosch Professor of Operations Research and Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University and former Associate Dean of the Business School.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

Sad to hear this...
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

How I miss him!

Here is a Frontline article on how he guided the development of corrosion resistant steel for Indian railways. His work was carried out after his demise.

Steeling Rails

By R. Ramachandran
A research paper published in the January 10 issue of Current Science details the development of a novel corrosion-resistant steel by a team of researchers from the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IIT-K), the Research Designs & Standards Organisation (RDSO) of the Indian Railways at Lucknow, the Research & Development Centre for Iron & Steel (RDCIS) of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) at Ranchi, and the Bhilai Steel Plant (BSP). The team was led by the late R. Balasubramaniam, a materials science professor at IIT-K who became well known for unravelling the mystery behind the corrosion resistance of the 1,600-year-old iron pillar in Delhi. He found that the presence of phosphorus in the pillar helped in the formation of a passive film on the surface that provided the pillar with exceptional resistance to atmospheric corrosion. The researchers used the same principle of micro-alloying to arrive at an appropriate composition of alloying elements for the steel that could be used to make corrosion-resistant rails.

The development of a new alloy with relatively improved corrosion resistance compared with the standard rail currently in use was undertaken as an academia-industry-user collaborative research project under the Technology Mission on Railway Safety (TMRS) launched in 2003 by Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. The Indian Railways, which operates the second largest rail network in the world, runs over 11,000 trains every day, 7,000 of which are passenger trains. The network spans 1,08,706 km and carries about 14 million passengers daily from 6,853 stations across the country. The rail is the most important component of a rail system. Therefore, rail failure due to corrosion over such a large network is naturally an important aspect of passenger safety.

andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Rest in pease sir. Condolences to the family.
Anoop. A.
BRFite

Post by Anoop. A. »

Rest in peace. My heartfelt condolences to the family...
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

In january i was talking to an uncle of mine, who is an alumnus of BHU, after an reunion of his batch. He said one of his batchmates had recently died and on enquiry i found that it was late Prof. Balasubramani.
Then i showed him this thread and he felt very happy that scholars like him are respected and regarded in public forums like BR.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Very odd that the thread was locked.

Why do the best die young?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I got an e-mail from his brother who had read the thread when it first came and was happy to see the Frontline article yesterday.
Aaryan
BRFite

Post by Aaryan »

Rest in peace Sir.. :( :( :(