Asian Games 2010 (Nov 12 )

Vasu
BRFite

Re: Asian Games 2010 (Nov 12 )

Post by Vasu »

SwamyG wrote:
Vasu wrote:What India needs is an NCAA. Can you imagine what American higher education and professional sports would be without it?

Indian universities, at least the big ones, need to get together and start a league for a few sports, including athletics. There is great enthusiasm for sports at the high school level but come college and everything withers away. In fact, very few universities/colleges have any open sports spaces, if at all. No wonder the national college game is table tennis, and so many engineers are so good at it!

On to London!
The problem with that is Universities (and Education) which is already a nasty business, across the World, will get nastier in India too. It might address the problems like you say; but will bring on newer problems. The question is do we want those problems, or can we solve the existing problems through other means.

Compared to India, the USA public do not go across the country for education - except those that go to elite colleges and universities. The population has an affinity to local school and college sports team. And these teams get attention from media. And many are revenue generation for the school & college. Once these become a revenue generation, then other issues come up.

Do we want these issues, or can we have a healthy separation and still find a solution. I do not know but would like to caution. There are definite advantages,for example it is better for a student to spend say 10 hours at a premise, with sports and academics, than spending 7 hours for academics and then traveling 2 hours to another location to practice sports for 3 hours. Hence the double caution :-)
Yes, hence my implication that universities need to develop at least a minimal level of sports infrastructure. Most will not have the space to provide a cricket field, but I have been to many colleges in different parts of the country who have at least one decrepit basketball court and one dusty football field.

I am sorry I am unable to figure out what kind of nasty business you are talking about, and also what kind of new problems. You mean something like American college stars getting paid, which they are not allowed?

Of course India and USA are poles apart on this issue, with different considerations. The high level of professionalism that American college sports have achieved are after decades of growth. It takes time to form a culture.

The fact is that those decrepit courts and fields just lie like that because most universities don't even encourage casual sports and athletics. It does'nt take much to organize an inter-hostel/inter-department/inter-year tournament of any sort. Things like these keep students involved and can be nurtured to become bigger. For example, there are the Inter-IIT Games, which are taken very seriously by all the participants.

If there was something like a Ranji/Santosh Trophy for universities, i am sure it would catch on in no time.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

well, not to mention that sports make the students into more well developed human beings
instead of bookworms who only regurgitate and don't think for themselves
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

IB4TL since the games have come and gone?

Onwards to Londonistan, 2012 where im hoping we are able to do even 30% of the Asian games to have a great Olympics...
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

I suppose we can start a London 2012 thread then. :)
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Ashwini Chidananda is online on rediff chat
TonyMontana
BRFite

Post by TonyMontana »

Has anyone done a honest comparasion between the Asian Games and the Commonwealth games?
People tend to forget that your average WASP is no better then your average SDRE at being impressed at shiny stuff.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

krishnan wrote:
"Adjusting to the weight was not at all a problem because I weigh around 51kg normally. What took me by surprise were the tactics. My opponents would hold me and then use the shoulder to hit me on the chin, something that would escape the referee's eye but when I would try to break free, it would seem that I am using my elbow to hit them and the referee would caution me," Mary Kom said in an interview.
http://www.rediff.com/sports/slide-show ... 101130.htm