Asian Games 2010 (Nov 12 )

Sidd
BRFite

Re: Asian Games 2010 (Nov 12 )

Post by Sidd »

SBajwa wrote:Anybody know why didn't we sent our top chess players?
Anand has never participated in Asian games and seems like Koneru Humpy wasn't sent because she could not attend the training camp due to international commitments. Link
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Sidd wrote:Did any one notice the atheletes from Qatar and Bahrain. All of them are imported from Kenya and Ethiopia and have been given Arabic sounding names. Shameful.
this has been going on for some time, deliberate policy
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Ashwini 400m Hurdles.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

So far we have 5 golds in athletics which is huge. Iran has 2 karate and 3 taekwondo golds and I'm hoping we also add the martial arts to our medal counts. After all, they all originated in India. IIRC, we had quite a few very good practitioners in Assam and Manipur.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Pardon me if this was discussed here earlier. Did BCCI not send a cricket team to Asian games? WTF? Even the Indian B team would have won a medal if not gold itself if we consider the quality of teams taking part. A medal for the country is more important than that phucking IPL. It is tiime for BCCI to wake up.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

The BCCI opted out of the games. It would have diluted focus from money mining it seems.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Badminton , hockey , boxing , wrestling were we could have won few more medals even gold
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Is any of the media going to point out the empty stadiums.

How shameful of these third world organizers.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

The women's 400m hurdles final video is fantastic - the way she hit the afterburners just before the last hurdle, leaving the Chinese girl in the dust. I thought it was shaping up for a photofinish but it was so tame at the end.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

that was an amazing burst in the end...she just blew the rest of them.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

she took up 400m hurdles onlee six months ago.

even in 5000m, kavita nearly caught the tall african (er bahraini) girl in the end...another 20mts and they'd be level..,
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

I'm hoping we're seeing the start of a new generation of athletes. I really hope these youngsters like Ashwin, Preeja, Kavita and those great wrestlers from Haryana get a lot of endorsement contracts so that their faces are splashed all over TV, newspapers, magazines and hoardings. That hopefully act as role model to inspire more youngsters, especially from economically backward families to take up athletics full time. During PT Usha and Angel Mary Joshep's era mass media wasn't so strong so they didn't get the kind of exposure that could make them into roll models.

However, for all this to click we need a proactive Sports Ministry. However, if wishes were horses beggars would ride... :-(
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

I was watching the 5000 meters run on YouTube, I think Preeja Sreenivasan missed the gold due to wrong tactics. They allowed the Japanese runner to set the pace and so left the kick for too late. The Bahrain's runner Mimi had a much bigger build and so she could kick way. You could see she was getting tired and Preeja had the legs and kick to catch up but she just didn't have the distance. Another 10-15 meters and she would have overtaken. That's why I think she left it till too late to press on the accelerator. Nevertheless commendable performance. She'll learn from her mistakes.

amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Singha wrote:even in 5000m, kavita nearly caught the tall african (er bahraini) girl in the end...another 20mts and they'd be level..,
Boss Preeja not Kavita. :)

But just see the youtube video I posted, slight miscalculation methinks otherwise it could have been another double. The Indian girls left it till too late.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

>> get a lot of endorsement contracts so that their faces are splashed all over TV, newspapers, magazines and hoardings.

only one way to do that. make a rule that for every Rs spent on cricket and cricketers, you have to spend spend 15 p on non-cricket sports.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Rahul M wrote:>> get a lot of endorsement contracts so that their faces are splashed all over TV, newspapers, magazines and hoardings.

only one way to do that. make a rule that for every Rs spent on cricket and cricketers, you have to spend spend 15 p on non-cricket sports.
That's a good suggestion. Also I think among advertisers there's a fatigue about using only cricket and Bollywood stars. They would love new faces. See how advertisers have flocked to Saina and before that to Sania. Two non cricket/Bollywood faces which are well known.

I would think very pretty and Indian looking girls like Preeja and Ashwin would be a hit in rural markets which I hear is the next big frontier for advertising in India.

Whatever happens the pot of gold for youngsters like them should not be just a job in the Railways or ONGC or some such. They should get enough endorsements to be able to live comfortably off them for the rest of their lives. That would have an aspirational effect on the next generation.

**fingers crossed**
Last edited by amit on 27 Nov 2010 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
DavidD
BRFite

Post by DavidD »

Gus wrote:that was an amazing burst in the end...she just blew the rest of them.
AWAY, blew them AWAY my man :lol:
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

DavidD wrote:
Gus wrote:that was an amazing burst in the end...she just blew the rest of them.
Yup you're right and that includes Wang Xing the representative of the empire of the Middle Kingdom the natural hegemon of Asia. I hope the poor girl is not sent to a re-education camp. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
DavidD
BRFite

Post by DavidD »

amit wrote:
DavidD wrote:
Yup you're right and that includes Wang Xing the representative of the empire of the Middle Kingdom the natural hegemon of Asia. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Think you missed the joke? :cry:
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

DavidD wrote: Think you missed the joke? :cry:
Did I? :)

Actually David Ji we have a saying on BRF called Downhill skiing syndrome. You may know what it means. If not, here's a hint: It refers to the taller than Mountains, deeper than the Seas friend of the Middle Kingdom. There are various manifestations of this syndrome. Those of us who have been around on the forum for a few years learn to spot them very fast.
:wink:
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Not sending in the cricket teams is a blessing in disguise. Yes, we could have increased our tally by two; but I like the attention that other sports and personnel have received.
Amit: I agree with you, it was tactical mistake. She had it in her.....I would call this a close finish....bordering on her throwing her the gold medal :-) See how cocky I am getting....

2 more years for Olympics; and our expectations have increased. In 2008, we had a total of 3, how about 10 in London 2012? Too much to ask?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Overall, the performance at the Asian Games has been very good, considering the majority of our contingent was winding down from peaking at CWG2010, where they achieved a historic 2nd place in the medal table. We also missed out on several medaling opportunities - chess, wrestling and cricket for example - by not sending our best competitors, or not at all. We underperformed in wrestling, weighlifting, boxing (esp women's) and shooting, but on the flip side, did very well in all those at CWG2010.

I like all the new sportspeople who have come into prominence recently, especially ones who are charting a new course in sports we've never been competitive in, like 19yr old Ashish Kumar in gymnastics - medaling in floor exercises at both CWG2010 and AG2010 (plus silver in vault at CWG2010) in a sport we'd never been any good at is a bolt from the blue. Same for Virdhawal Khade in the 50m butterfly; we've never had a swimmer of note since Khazan Singh's silver medal in 1986.

If we need to enhance our medal tally, we need competitive sportsmen in games with lots of medals, instead of team sports like hockey and kabaddi that yield us at most one medal per gender after days of competition. Ideally we'd assuredly achieve a minimum 20-25 golds at the AGs with a broadbased team of competitors. It's hardly beyond reach - we managed 14 with a less than fullstrength team missing several key competitors and many others winding down from the CWG; we've enough current potential to have achieved 20 golds under more ideal circumstances.
Sudip
BRFite

Post by Sudip »

Rahul M wrote:>> get a lot of endorsement contracts so that their faces are splashed all over TV, newspapers, magazines and hoardings.

Why spend 15 paise for every 1 Re? Why this step daughterly treatment to non-cricket sports? Do games like hockey, football, marathon need less training and effort than cricket? My personal experience says it is opposite. The amount of sustained stamina one needs for games like football, hockey, track & field is much more than cricket.

I say we should spend 0 Rs on cricket, the amount of sponsors they have already pump in enough money for the next 5 generations of each cricketer.

Cricket is the reason of death of other sports in India and I for one will viciously oppose it for the greater good of other athletic sports of india and the betterment of fitness of the indian population.

For majority of today's youngsters in india, sports is all about a bunch of kids first deciding who bats and who bowls, while the rest stand and watch in the name of 'fielding'. The 'batsman' throws around the bat in his 20 minutes of glory while the bowler will throw a ball six times to go join the rest of the idle crowd for his 'fielding'. Most of this youngsters would puke if asked to run after a football non-stop for 2 hours like people in rest of the countries do or play basketball for that much duration. In my youth, the concept of sports in india was this pathetic game called cricket ie sports in india = cricket = sports in india. There is a much more glorious world outside cricket namely, swimming, football, hockey, basketball, gymnastics, boxing etc. Because of lack of these games the general youth in india has no idea or experience about important fitness concepts such as aerobic exercises, breath control, stamina, power etc (which is absent in cricket). This not just hurts our sports prospects but also the fitness of the youth who would like to enter defense services etc

I might sound obsessed and on the edge of being retarded but this is just my frustration against this cricket crap that i hold fully responsible for the downfall of indian sports in the years gone by.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

please try to read and understand what someone is saying before going off on a tangent !

from the context it is amply clear that my point was about sponsors and advertisers, not govt spending which is zero on cricket anyway. asking pvt sponsors to spend an equal amount to what they spend on cricket is unrealistic right now, it would dry up revenue for both. I don't see why you have to bash cricket in order to uplift other sports, it's not a zero sum game. FYI, we were no great shakes at athletics even when cricket was just another sport in the country.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

The biggest challenge is going to be focus. Especially after all these gold are they going to have the same hunger as before. Also racing is very tough on your body so we will have to start looking for a new faces , so that we can groom them for future
Sudip
BRFite

Post by Sudip »

Rahul M wrote:FYI, we were no great shakes at athletics even when cricket was just another sport in the country.
India at the Olympics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_at_the_Olympics):-- Rank in 1980 Olympics is 23, after 1980 we kept degrading until 1996 when we were rank 71 (Leander Paes got a bronze) and then started going up again. I point this out because one must note that cricket in india got a phenomenal boost (and stole the limelight from hockey etc) post 1983 Cricket world cup victory. Since then the nation got into a cricket frenzy which sucked the life out of the remaining sports as reflected in olympics. Also note that most non-cricket achievements in olympics such as wrestling, hockey, athletics, Pt Usha, Milkha Singh etc happened pre 1983 World Cup

India at Asian Games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_at_the_Asian_Games):-- Again post 1982 Asian games we slowly start seeping down the ranks until 2010.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

1980 olympics was held at moscow which was boycotted by a lot of countries to protest against the invasion of afg. we got a lone gold in field hockey in spite of the nice sounding 23 rank. :roll:

1982 again we got a few more medals due to home advantage but it certainly wasn't a great performance by any means.

in any case, you have again failed to comprehend before you jumped in the argument.
........even when cricket was just another sport in the country.
which is clearly pre 1983. don't pick up one isolated instances to suit your argument but go through our complete performance in athletics before that period.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Sudip wrote:India at Asian Games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_at_the_Asian_Games):-- Again post 1982 Asian games we slowly start seeping down the ranks until 2010.
I was wondering how we peaked in 82 and dropped. Potential reasons:
1) India was hosting it, and there was this "home ground" advantage.
2) USSR was still a country. There was no Kazakhstan & Uzbekistan. Between them they have 18+11=29 golds and total of 79+56= 135
3) China's ascension in sports.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

4) also. south korea was probably not a major sporting power in that era...atleast not to the extent of japan whom they routinely beat in tally now.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

5) rise of ASEAN countries. between them they manage quite a few.
Sidd
BRFite

Post by Sidd »

Narendra Modi has set his sights on sports now. His government organized a mega sport event last week. Here is a link to the website http://khelmahakumbh.org/. It has a pretty good layout but unfortunately is only in Gujarati. Could one of our Gujarati friends please go through it and post a summary?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

...yup. We have valid reasons for why we hauled more medals in 82 and then fell - they are not excuses but sound reasons. The 90s were a fluid time for the country with it opening up. Not much attention was given to sports. The first decade of 21st century was our toddler phase. The second decade will be our pre-teen phase. Third decade would be our adolescent / young adult stage. Some of us oldies wish/want to be alive (we can if we stop eating all the processed foods).

Nobody in their right mind would call us a sporting power; we are hanging in there and climbing. The medals that we are winning across the breadth of events is encouraging. It is not a lone medal here and there in few sports. With improved sports medicine, facilities, strategy, money, fame/glamor ityadi we will do well.

Remember glass is half full :-)

Add: NaMo is staging a mega chess event in December.......there was a big charcha when Vishy was involved.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

What India needs is an NCAA. Can you imagine what American higher education and professional sports would be without it?

Indian universities, at least the big ones, need to get together and start a league for a few sports, including athletics. There is great enthusiasm for sports at the high school level but come college and everything withers away. In fact, very few universities/colleges have any open sports spaces, if at all. No wonder the national college game is table tennis, and so many engineers are so good at it!

On to London!
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

"Adjusting to the weight was not at all a problem because I weigh around 51kg normally. What took me by surprise were the tactics. My opponents would hold me and then use the shoulder to hit me on the chin, something that would escape the referee's eye but when I would try to break free, it would seem that I am using my elbow to hit them and the referee would caution me," Mary Kom said in an interview.
http://www.rediff.com/sports/slide-show ... 101130.htm
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Vasu wrote: No wonder the national college game is table tennis, and so many engineers are so good at it!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :mrgreen: So true!
It is also spot on that our sports-mindedness gets wiped out in college and that's where a lot can be done. One thing that baffles me is why we aren't much higher up the totem pole in football (soccer) in spite of it being so popular throughout the country. Foreign coaches like Nikolai Snesarev have done wonders and proved that we need not be less than anyone in athletics. We need to get someone like Maradona to coach several Indian teams and do the same, basically inject some magic sauce into Indian soccer. A name like that will make the corporates take notice too.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Snesarev and P Gopichand that indic talent can perform well if married to a good facility and a ruthless work ethic. life at the top is quite lonely - we only see the brilliance of federer and nadal on the court, not the hours and hours they must spend in practice courts to try out 1000 things to find the 10 that work.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

it is said that to become expert in any one field, one has to put in something like 10,000 hrs of practice
in the indian college system there is no room for anything like the pro-rated time to be spent on sports
even in the west, sportsmen at universities find time between studies to put in serious training hours - i.e. those not on american style sports scholarships. but essentially, its the competitive level at university level that pulls up a large number of sports
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Vasu wrote:What India needs is an NCAA. Can you imagine what American higher education and professional sports would be without it?

Indian universities, at least the big ones, need to get together and start a league for a few sports, including athletics. There is great enthusiasm for sports at the high school level but come college and everything withers away. In fact, very few universities/colleges have any open sports spaces, if at all. No wonder the national college game is table tennis, and so many engineers are so good at it!

On to London!
The problem with that is Universities (and Education) which is already a nasty business, across the World, will get nastier in India too. It might address the problems like you say; but will bring on newer problems. The question is do we want those problems, or can we solve the existing problems through other means.

Compared to India, the USA public do not go across the country for education - except those that go to elite colleges and universities. The population has an affinity to local school and college sports team. And these teams get attention from media. And many are revenue generation for the school & college. Once these become a revenue generation, then other issues come up.

Do we want these issues, or can we have a healthy separation and still find a solution. I do not know but would like to caution. There are definite advantages,for example it is better for a student to spend say 10 hours at a premise, with sports and academics, than spending 7 hours for academics and then traveling 2 hours to another location to practice sports for 3 hours. Hence the double caution :-)
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Will china be able to retain their top spot in Gold Medals at London Olympics? (51G,21S,28B) as oppose to USA (36G,28S,26B)

Can India reach upto total of 5 medals in London olympics (2G,2S,1B)? from 3 last time (1G,0S,2B)?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

^^^
My dil maangta hain 10 medals :-)