The Cricket World Cup Thread

Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: The Cricket World Cup Thread

Post by Singha »

last tour of IND in AUS resulted in 2-1 AUS win tests (via cheating in sydney test), and iirc we won the 2 ODI and 1 T20.
then AUS came to IND and lost the test series iirc

next big mission should be comprehensively defeat AUS in AUS in test and ODI.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

My mistake,
It was Piyush Chawla!
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Amrikans are finding out that the biggest sport on earth is cricket not soccer and that India is the Big Dog in the game. The India-paki match had a TV viewership of 1.3 billion while the 2nd biggest event--the football World Cup--was seen by "only" 750 million according to ESPN which is going to show the game in the US starting next year. We may just see "cricket moms" yet.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

any sources for these stats? good for fbook psyops.
http://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... ip/430576/

this source claims 67.3 mil - not sure how they calculate it or how they guess at number of people watching each TV?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Actually, what Shaayad Afraidi actually said was Indians don't have have the large and clean musharraffs compared to pakis, probably referring to some adventure outside the game.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I guess ESPN goes not account for the free feed on DD1 beamed to all of south asia. it may count only cable TV households.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

And in India we have TV stores and neighbourhood television sets on which tens of people watch the match. Like this one - http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011 ... 038/#img06
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

---
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

who is the gentleman?
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

IAF chief sirji
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

Singha wrote:who is the gentleman?
:eek: :shock:

How did you fail to recognise the IAF kaptaan ?
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

When was the last time ACM Naik climbed into a MiG-21 cockpit? :mrgreen:
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

That big hearted comment from Afridi....I suspect that was said to invoke a sense of pity from the IPL elite.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

i am pretty sure that if you asked any of the non-desi players in IPL, none of them are too bothered about having the paquis involved in it
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

Pakis are followed by match-fixing. So, to save IPL , boycott pakis.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Singha wrote:last tour of IND in AUS resulted in 2-1 AUS win tests (via cheating in sydney test), and iirc we won the 2 ODI and 1 T20.
then AUS came to IND and lost the test series iirc

next big mission should be comprehensively defeat AUS in AUS in test and ODI.
You mean Whitewash White Packquis.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

Dhoni's 91 one of the greatest innings: Michael Atherton

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/a ... 599110.ece

It’s been one of the hardest goodbyes to say: Kirsten

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/a ... 601818.ece
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Prasad wrote:And in India we have TV stores and neighbourhood television sets on which tens of people watch the match. Like this one - http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011 ... 038/#img06
Indeed Afridi is right. Musalmans, that is those residing in India, have a big heart and are as patriotic Indians and anyone else.

:oops: Sorry for such a big picture but couldn't resist posting. It should go into the archives.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the hindu:

Within days of asking for a break citing exhaustion, Pakistan ODI captain Shahid Afridi has had a change of heart and has decided to go to the West Indies for the one-day and Twenty20 series later this month.

The 31-year-old all-rounder had earlier decided to take a break from the coming tour.

“Yes, earlier I had decided to take a break from the West Indies tour because I wanted to have a rest from cricket,” Afridi said.

“But my family members, my father, my friends and some former players have told me I must go to the West Indies so that their is continuity in the Pakistan team,” he said.

“They have pressurised me a lot. So, I have decided it is best for me to go to the West Indies because we need to ensure the good work we did in the World Cup is carried on in our future series,” Afridi said.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ Somehow seems like a backdoor into IPL was promised but fizzled out making the ball biter to reverse his earlier stance about the WI tour..
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

Victor wrote:Amrikans are finding out that the biggest sport on earth is cricket not soccer and that India is the Big Dog in the game. The India-paki match had a TV viewership of 1.3 billion while the 2nd biggest event--the football World Cup--was seen by "only" 750 million according to ESPN which is going to show the game in the US starting next year. We may just see "cricket moms" yet.
Viewership cannot and should not be a criteria to decide the 'biggest' sport. Less than a dozen countries play cricket compared to hundreds when it comes to football. Cricket moms, not quite yet saar ji.
SandeepA
BRFite

Post by SandeepA »

Chandragupta wrote:
Victor wrote:Amrikans are finding out that the biggest sport on earth is cricket not soccer and that India is the Big Dog in the game. The India-paki match had a TV viewership of 1.3 billion while the 2nd biggest event--the football World Cup--was seen by "only" 750 million according to ESPN which is going to show the game in the US starting next year. We may just see "cricket moms" yet.
Viewership cannot and should not be a criteria to decide the 'biggest' sport. Less than a dozen countries play cricket compared to hundreds when it comes to football. Cricket moms, not quite yet saar ji.
So Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and Timbaktu playing Baltic Kho Kho will make it a bigger sport than India's Kabaddi?
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

Kaptaankhor Dhoni takes one more.

Sangakkara steps down as ODI and T20 captain
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

^^^ I don't know if its really true that the soccer world championship finals were watched by less people the world over than was the WC2011 final. Anything is possible, though. Would be nice to get PRC in as an associate country early on. The sporting weight of the world casn then shift to Asia truly so.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

That is a good pointer Hari S, must chase after that data... how many watched it.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Cup dream born of 2007 disaster says Tendulkar

The 2007 first round exit must have really hurt the Little master.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Dhoni the greatest Indian captain - Ganguly
"There can't be any doubt about it," Ganguly told Mid-Day. "Dhoni is the greatest captain of our country. His record is proof of that. Under Dhoni, India have won the Twenty20 World Cup and the Asia Cup. Under him, India have become the No. 1 ranked side in Test cricket. And now, we have won the World Cup. Obviously, he is the greatest ever captain to lead India."
http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cricket ... 09588.html
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Double post
Last edited by jamwal on 05 Apr 2011 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Malinga before and after world cup:

girish.r
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by girish.r »

amit wrote:Indeed Afridi is right. Musalmans, that is those residing in India, have a big heart and are as patriotic Indians and anyone else.

:oops: Sorry for such a big picture but couldn't resist posting. It should go into the archives.
Sweet pic!! Thanks for Sharing!! :)

Large heart? Well our KAPTAAN knowing that SANGA had lost the toss, still gracefully went ahead for the second time!!
Thats a man who shows what our genetics are!! :twisted:

Yes afridi may have a MIGHTY BIG HEART........MIGHTY POLLUTED!!
anishns
BRFite

Post by anishns »

And what is that claim by the jihadi quoting GG that we have extracted revenge....

What BS....GG merely said that he wanted to dedicate the victory to the 26/11 victims. UndieTV anchor should have taken him to task over this....but, you can't expect that from beloved undieTV they just wanted the jihadi to look good that's all

In other news according to TOIlet, Shane Warne wants to coach India.....terrible idea IMO
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

baseball and american football are big money sports even though only half dozen countries are serious players - all due to size of american market.

even in basketball - who are the world level players ? brazil, usa, a couple of yugoslav republics, russia, spain, argentina, greece, italy ... rest make up the numbers. and usa is the 8000lb gorilla in talent + market size.

football is perhaps only sport that is rich + very widespread.

we may not aspire to football's #1 spot, but #2 is also a great spot to be in ...
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

abhishek_sharma wrote:Dhoni's 91 one of the greatest innings: Michael Atherton

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/a ... 599110.ece
From the above article.The chindu is quoting from an article in the slimes of Londonistan by the charlatan Atherton who is indulging in psy-ops
After the defeat against South Africa, Dhoni criticised his batsmen for playing to the gallery rather than for the team and it was as if he had tossed a meaty bone to the most voracious pack of jackals :evil: imaginable
on a magnificent and moving night in Mumbai which sealed the glorious career of one modern master,he is refering to sachin :evil: whilst bringing down the curtain on another,
We believe Sachin is greater than Don Bradman and this low life is denigrating him as a 'modern master'.

Why is our DDM quoting such gora articles.One painfully recalls the immortal Bharathiyar song 'Endru thaniyumo intha anniya moham'

endru-when,taniyumo-will subside, moham for anya.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

till we feel we are 8000l bs gorilla in more of the areas where we can see our strengths growing.
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

Marten wrote:
Chandragupta wrote:
The population of those countries (and the interested viewers) will probably be matched by India alone. That is the power of this population. Whether or not you consider that a success is entirely up to you. Don't denigrate the sport of cricket to make a point - or if you wish to insist on it, do so on the Sports thread. Thanks.

imvho, scoring a self-goal in this manner is not very good.
How did I 'denigrate the sport of cricket' by stating what is true & obvious? We had a gentleman calling Cricket the biggest sport on earth, I merely corrected him, no need to get your chaddis in a twist please. If we have to compare Cricket, then Baseball, Rugby, American Football, even Basketball are all good, but please leave Football out of it, unless you want to use some Lahori Logic.

PS - Someone please direct me to the Sports threat, can't find it onlee.
Klaus
BRF Oldie

Post by Klaus »

KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

I agree, football is still the greatest sport. Real football, not the American version.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

guys!!!
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

what golmal is this ... cricket mein football?