2014 Commonwealth Games

member_28539
BRFite

Re: 2014 Commonwealth Games

Post by member_28539 »

Vipin Kasana and Ravinder Singh Khaira, made it to the final of the javelin throw competition at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games that concluded on Sunday; but they didn't participate in the medal round
Article about same in TOI: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 573176.cms
"It is shocking and shameful that both the Indian throwers didn't try to make a single throw. It was raining during Vikas Gowda's event but how did he cope? They shamed the nation with their refusal to take part in the competition and it was watched by millions on television," a former athlete, who saw the proceedings on television told TOI.
Vipin Kasana, who hails from Uttar Pradesh, and Punjab's Ravinder Singh Khaira simply watched the proceedings from the call room safely away from the chilly drizzle at Hampden Park as Kenya's Julius Kiplangat Yego took the gold with a best throw of 83.87m.
How can this be? :shock: The given Federation Chief will have to answer what was the reason here..this is trecherous! :evil:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

failure of coaches. it was the coaches job to get them warmed up, properly briefed on the conditions and make them participate.
health issue is one matter, just sitting out because its raining is not acceptable, not after doing all the hard work to quality.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

suryag wrote:Gopichand should be given Bharat ratna, not only was he accomplished personally but he has helped create a saina a kashyap and a sindhu and a lot more in store
Gopichand had Padma Shri and RG Khel Ratna for his own career performances. Since then he has received Dronacharya Award in 2009 and Padma Bhushan this year. I don't know any other coach who has received a Padma Bhushan recently. The award itself has been diluted far too much by being handed to all and sundry in the arts and literary circles. But for sports, it retains exclusivity - the only recent sports winners are Mary Kom, Rahul Dravid, Leander Paes and Gopi. So he is being recognized. No coach has received a Padma Vibhushan. The only recent sporting awardees are Anand and Tendulkar.

Gopi is some way from Padma Vibhushan level. Frankly it's not a matter of awards. He would be much happier to receive adequate funding. The guy mortgaged his house to run his academy, and still faces financial issues. Someone like Li Yongbo, running the Chinese national team, has no such worries. Just as Saina is feared by the Chinese female shuttlers, Gopi is hugely respected by them for running a one man system producing players who threaten their massive state sponsored efforts.

It would be very helpful if we gave coaches their due. Someone like Arpinder in triple jump was barely satisfied with his CWG bronze (unlike the shameless javelin throwers) and complained that he missed his coach, who could give him minor adjustment tips. Like Gowda's event, the triple jump was conducted in windy rainy conditions, and the 21-year old Arpinder had no one there to give him tips to ensure he jumped optimally. Even his personal best (17.17m a month ago) would not have given him gold, but it would have been a runaway silver.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

TRS would rather lavish 1cr on sania mirza to please their ashrafi supporters.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Regardnig Arpinder, since they would not allow his coach to travel to Glasgow, here's what they did:
A leap of faith
While figures may point towards him being a near certainty for a medal at the Commonwealth Games, recent events suggest Arpinder may not have things so easy for him in Glasgow.

That is because quite inexplicably, his coach has not been named as part of the contingent. The triple jump is an event where athletes make slight adjustments throughout their jumps, looking to get as close to the takeoff board without crossing it. Even though all athletes take 18 strides until the takeoff point, small changes in technique determine whether they end up fouling, take off from several inches behind the board or perform their jump to perfection.

In Lucknow, Arpinder fouled his first two attempts. On the third, Pannu advised him to take off from well behind the board. Arpinder’s run-up was tweaked over the next three attempts before he nailed the final jump.

“Of course I would want Pannu sir to travel with me to Glasgow. If he is around, I have that belief that in case I am making a mistake in my run-up, he will be there to suggest some changes. So, when he is not around, that fear is there that I don’t have someone to correct my mistakes,” says Arpinder.

Arpinder, thus, decided not to travel to Glasgow with the main athletics contingent which left Patiala on July 13, but rather leave a week late. While he hopes to train for as long as possible under Pannu, the trade-off will be that he has less time to acclimatise and will also miss out on a test competition this week.

Arpinder tries to take things positively. “It isn’t that I won’t be able to perform if I don’t have Pannu sir with me. There have been a number of times that I have travelled to competitions all by myself, and have done well. When I first broke the junior national record, I was travelling by myself. When I beat Renjith bhai for the first time, at the National Games in Ranchi, I was there myself. Even when I won the Asian GP gold in Colombo, Pannu sir was not with me,” he says.
But while Pannu wasn’t present in Colombo, he was at the other end of a frantic phone call.

“Arpinder wasn’t fouling his jumps but he wasn’t getting the distance either, because he was taking off from way behind the board. So, after his third jump, he called me and told me he wasn’t getting much acceleration in the last eight strides. I couldn’t see what he was doing because there was no live telecast, so I asked him to describe where he felt he was getting wrong. Based on what he told me, I advised him to focus on lifting his knee in the acceleration phase. He was able to do that and got the gold,” recalls Pannu.

Contingency plan

A similar contingency plan has been prepared for Glasgow. Pannu says he will watch the telecast of the Games on TV and then pass on suggestions to a javelin thrower who is a good friend of Arpinder.
These javelin throwers were the ones who were AWOL. In the absence of his coach, they made some jugaad plans to manage the task of finetuning his jumps, but that didn't work out because of the inability to coach him real time from India, and the javelin folks gone hiding. The gold was 17.20m, and Arpinder's best was 17.17m . He could have jumped 17m+ with the right coaching tips.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Singha wrote:failure of coaches. it was the coaches job to get them warmed up, properly briefed on the conditions and make them participate.
health issue is one matter, just sitting out because its raining is not acceptable, not after doing all the hard work to quality.
Disgraceful. Even if the coach was not around, the athletes should have taken part in the final round and done their best. If there is no satisfactory explanation they should be banned from competition for a period that will hurt.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

TOI had a scathing editorial on Indian performance at CWG. So I compared 2010 and 2014. We slightly underperformed in shooting (in terms of gold), underperformed in boxing, TT and athletics (some of the athletes are on ban I believe). Overall we could have gone to 70 medals which is at par with 2014 (given the no. of events) and converted several of the silvers to golds. So I don't think it was that bad a performance.

BTW, where are the cash awards?
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

Haryana-govt-raises-cash-award-for-medal-winners
CHANDIGARH: The Haryana government increased the cash award for the medal winners of Asian Games and Commonwealth Games, besides appointing shooter Anisa Sayyed for the post of assistant director in the sports department of the state.

The government has also increased the cash awards for medallists in Asian Masters Athletics Championship and World Masters Athletic Championships.

A decision to this effect was taken by the state cabinet, which met under the chairmanship of Bhupinder Singh Hooda, the chief minister of Haryana.

Giving details after the meetings, Hooda told reporters that the cash award for medal winners of Asian Games has been increased from Rs 25 lakh to Rs 2 crore for gold medallist, from Rs 15 lakh to Rs 1 crore for silver medallists and Rs 10 lakh to Rs 50 lakh for bronze medal winners.

"For Commonwealth Games, cash award has been increased for gold medal from Rs 15 lakh to Rs 1 crore, silver from Rs 10 lakh to Rs 50 lakh and bronze Rs 5 lakh to Rs 25 lakh," Hooda added.

Hooda informed that it was also decided to offer Anisa Sayyed an appointment for the post of assistant director in the sports department in view of her consistent performances at the international events.

He also announced cash award of Rs 62.50 lakh to Gagan Narang for his achievements in the Commonwealth Games, in relaxation of the Sports Policy of the State.

The cash award for medal winners of Asian Masters Athletics Championship and World Masters Athletic Championships has also been increased for gold medal from Rs 35,000 to Rs 70,000, silver from Rs 25,000 to Rs 50,000 and bronze from Rs 15,000 to Rs 30,000.

"The cabinet has also approved to double the cash award for medal winners of National School Games, All India Inter School Sports contest, National Women's Sports Festival, National Masters Athletics Championships, All India Rural Sports competition and Special Olympics for intellectually disabled sportspersons," said Hooda.

"Under which gold medal winners would get Rs 30,000 instead of Rs 15,000; silver medal winners Rs 20,000 instead of Rs 10,000 and bronze medallists Rs 14,000 instead of Rs 7,000," the chief minister added.

The Cabinet also enhanced the amount of cash awards in the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games for the participants under the sports policy of the state from Rs two lakh to Rs five lakh.
TN 50L for Gold 30 Silver and so on..
But seriously we need a National Sports Academy of India (NSAI) to tap into sports potential of so many talented people in India and nurture the talent right from start.
Our heart just fills with pride each time listening to the struggle stories of our athletes. Each one of their stories is inspiring. Congratulations to the winners. :) May you all bring many many more laurels for our country India.

I generated this map with pins pointing to all the medal winner and their hometown. On click you can see the name and well as the sports in which they won their medal. Pretty interesting. Two of them are from Varanasi 8)

Gold: http://bit.ly/1zXVzH9

Silver: http://bit.ly/1ouDojx

Bronze: http://bit.ly/1ouHok0