Etymology of West Asian Languages based on Sanskrit/Prakrits

RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Etymology of West Asian Languages based on Sanskrit/Prakrits

Post by RajeshA »

I'm opening this thread to explore which words of Arabic and related languages derive from Sanskrit and other Indian Prakrits.

At least we should explore those words we regularly use in Urdu and thus Hindi, often thinking that these words are native to us, but often happen to have a West Asian origin (Arabic, Persian). Belonging to Indo-Iranic language group, there would of course be similarities between Persian and Sanskrit words. So discussion on those words are also welcome here.

However the big challenge is Arabic.

I would like to approach this topic as if Arabic is a fully Indic derived language, and what is left to do is simply to discover the relationships between words. I hope posters here would help out in cataloging Arabic words and their Indic derivations.

Thanks for the Help!
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Re: Etymology of West Asian Languages based on Sanskrit/Prak

Post by RajeshA »

I was thinking of the word Virasat (Inheritance) and was under the impression it is an Indic Hindi word, until I found out, it is Arabic, so I looked it up a bit.

Here's what I found.

Virasat, Waris may be from

<- Bari (turn)

in Punjabi one says <- Vari

That means that if you are a Waris, then it is your turn to look after the wealth of the family, it is your Vari.

In Sanskrit, there is the word: वर्तते - to turn
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Safar, Musafir

Safar means journey
Musafir means traveler

These are Arabic words.

The closest what I found in Sanskrit is

व्रजते { व्रज् } vrajate { vraj } go, walk, depart from, go away, go in order to, proceed, go to, retire, go abroad, wander, travel, move

व्र {vra} becomes var -> far -> safar

sa in safar could be from sukhad (comfortable) journey!
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Nehar

In Urdu too we use the word Nahr. Our first PM got his name from Nahr, namely Nehru, but it is considered a Semitic word.

In Indic, we say

Nadī (नदी) River
Dhārā (धारा) Stream, Current

Can Nehar be from Nadī (नदी) + Ka + Dhārā (धारा)?

-> Nadī (नदी) + Dhārā (धारा) -> Na + Dhār -> Na + hār -> Nahār
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Zyada

From Link Language Thread
csaurabh wrote:
Now coming to your question. Yes, there are many words that are specific to their language and not derived from sanskrit/anything else as far as I can tell, mainly nouns and verbs in common use . Comparing,

janla ( B ) , khidki ( H ) , window ( E )
kinna ( B ) , kharidna ( H), to buy ( E )
tara-tari ( B ), jaldi-jaldi (H), fast-fast (E)
motamoti ( B ), jyadatar ( H), more-or-less (E)
shosha ( B ), khira ( H) , cucumber ( E)
pacha ( B ), ulloo ( H ), owl ( E)

there are probably hundreds of such examples.
jyadatar or jyada is also there in Arabic, as far as I can tell. However it is possible to derive that through Sanskrit as well.

zyada <- Usa sē (उस से) + Adhika (अधिक) -> usase + adhik -> se + adha -> z + y + ada -> zyada (Arabic)

'zyada' comes to India and becomes 'jyada'!
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Jaldi

This word means hurry, quick or soon. It could be a combination of

Jū (जू) (speed) + Ranhati (रंहति) (speed) -> Jū + Ranhati -> Ja + Lanhati -> Ja + Lati -> Ja + Ladi -> Ja + Ldi -> Jaldi
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

RajeshA garu: What is the end goal you have in mind? Is it to de-Arabize Hindi? Urdu also has Turkish words in it (which is technically eastern european). I do believe there is a need to clean up Hindi and de-Urduize it.

I believe that De-Urduization will lead to insertion of Sanskrit into Hindi (making it easy to leap frog into Sanskrit). Are you trying to approach the other way by making Arabic subset of words in Urdu as ultimately derived from Sanskrit or Prakrit? That way we can make minor changes in the urdu/arabic words and get it closer to Sanskrit.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

LokeshC ji,

Yes that is one goal, but a minor one! :wink:
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

RajeshA wrote:I was thinking of the word Virasat (Inheritance) and was under the impression it is an Indic Hindi word, until I found out, it is Arabic, so I looked it up a bit.

Here's what I found.

<- Bari (turn)

That means that if you are a Waris, then it is your turn to look after the wealth of the family, it is your Vari.

Virasat is Varasatvam in Telugu. It sounds Sanskrit.
I doubt it is Arabic so if it is not Indic word it may be Persian. Just like some other common words found in Telugu from Persian/Parasika
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

ShyamSP wrote:
RajeshA wrote:I was thinking of the word Virasat (Inheritance) and was under the impression it is an Indic Hindi word, until I found out, it is Arabic, so I looked it up a bit.

Here's what I found.

<- Bari (turn)

Virasat is Varasatvam in Telugu. It sounds Sanskrit.
I doubt it is Arabic so if it is not Indic word it may be Persian. Just like some other common words found in Telugu from Persian/Parasika
Hmmm...
"Varasatvam" could also have entered the Telugu vocabulary through the Hyderabad connection and then have been appropriately been made native! In Sanskrit, I haven't seen anything similar!
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

From the Urdu Learning Thread
Shreeman wrote:Rooh-daad. daad dena ==praise somebody, rooh == from the spirit

rooh-daad-e-gham-e-ulfat = Of (the praise from the eternal spirit) for (the pain of love), could (the ryoal)we say what, and how if we tried? (or something very close == something is always lost in translation)
"daad" could be from Sanskrit दधते { दध् } dadhate { dadh } - to give. Praising is giving!

"gham", which means (emotional pain) can be from गम्भीर (Gambhīra) meaning serious.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

apostrophe s = the english possessive is from sanskrit = sya

Agnimitra-sya = Agnimitra's

(persian 'zhe has connection with 'sya? agnimitraji?)

Is = Sanskrit Asit or Asti?
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Theo from Deva (deo)
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Ensoi only, i find some similarities

Reading and Textual Analysis

The following text is excerpted from the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 20, verses 30-34. In this tale, Jesus gives sight to two blind men he chances upon as he travels from Jericho. The OCS translation is linguistically telling in its use of the dual number throughout. By this time the dual in Greek had completely fallen away, so that the original Greek passage uses solely plural forms. The translation, by contrast, displays that the dual was a fully functioning morphological category by no means restricted to archaic phrases or purely "natural pairs."

i se du'va slje'pi'sa sje'de^shta pri po^ti slyshavu'sha jako iisusu' mimo khoditu' vu'zu'piste glagol'jo^shta pomilui ny gospodi synu davydovu' |

Lesson Text

i se du'va slje'pi'sa sje'de^shta pri po^ti slyshavu'sha jako iisusu' mimo khoditu' vu'zu'piste glagol'jo^shta pomilui ny gospodi synu davydovu' | narodu' zhe zaprje'ti ima da umli'tchite | ona zhe patche vu'pi'jaashete glagol'jo^shta pomilui ny gospodi synu davydovu' | i stavu' iisusu' vu'zglasi ja i retche tchi'to khoshteta da su'tvor'jo^ vama | glagolaste emu gospodi da otvri'zete se^ naju otchi | milosri'dovavu' zhe iisusu' prikosno^ se^ otchi'ju ima i abi'e prozi'rje'ste i po n'emi' idete |

Translation

(30) And, behold, two blind men sitting by the way side, when they heard that Jesus passed by, cried out, saying, Have mercy on us, O Lord, thou son of David. (31) And the multitude rebuked them, because they should hold their peace: but they cried the more, saying, Have mercy on us, O Lord, thou son of David. (32) And Jesus stood still, called them, and said, What will ye that I shall do unto you? (33) They say unto him, Lord, that our eyes may be opened. (34) So Jesus had compassion on them, and touched their eyes: and immediately their eyes received sight, and they followed him.

further reading

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/ ... l-3-R.html
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

^^ = Sanskrit = English
^ Duva = Dvi = Two
Poti = Patha = Way
Narodu = Name of Several Authors (narad) = the Multitude
Ona = Taani = They
Stavu = Sthayee= Stood Still
etc
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

RajeshA saar,
please turn this into a general purpose linguistic thread, no?

Here's what I found.

<- Bari (turn)

Varam means 'turn' in Sanskruth.

Varam -> Bari

So, the word 'Varis' seems to be related to Varam i.e. turn.

In Latin, this is seen in the names of the months.

Octo-ber -> 8th turn -> Ashtam-vaaram.
Novem-ber -> 9th turn -> Navam-vaaram.
Decem-ber -> 10th turn -> Dasham-vaaram.

I think most of the middle-eastern languages are derived from Persian. Persian seems to be mixed with words from other languages to derive other languages.

The european languages seem to be derived from greek and latin...mainly latin. Nordic and germanic would vulgarize/dilute the latin and the modern european languages would be born. I think the european connection to Sanskruth is through Latin and Greek.

----
Generally, Amen/Ameen is said in abrahamic gatherings.
wiki wrote:Amen
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the interjection. For other uses, see Amen (disambiguation).
The word amen (/ˌɑːˈmɛn/ or /ˌeɪˈmɛn/; Hebrew: אָמֵן, Modern amen Tiberian ʾāmēn; Greek: ἀμήν; Arabic: آمين‎, ʾāmīn ; "So be it; truly") is a declaration of affirmation[1][2] found in the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament. Its use in Judaism dates back to its earliest texts.[3] It has been generally adopted in Christian worship as a concluding word for prayers and hymns.[2] In Islam, it is the standard ending to Dua (supplication). Common English translations of the word amen include "verily" and "truly". It can also be used colloquially to express strong agreement,[2] as in, for instance, amen to that.[4]
Wiki Link

So, Amen/Ameen means 'so be it'. It seems to me that this word is derived from the Sanskruth word 'Aam' i.e 'Yes'. In Thamil also(as far as I know), the word for 'yes' is 'Aama'. So, basically, Amen/Ameen is a sanskruth word in old testament.

According to wiki, the etymology of Amen/Ameen is:
wiki Link wrote:Etymology
Amen in East Syriac Aramaic
The usage of Amen, meaning "so be it", as found in the early scriptures of the Bible is said to be of Hebrew origin;[5][6] however, the basic triconsonantal root from which the word was derived is common to a number of Semitic Languages such as Aramaic or Syriac. The word was imported into the Greek of the early Church from Judaism.[1][7] From Greek, amen entered the other Western languages. According to a standard dictionary etymology, amen passed from Greek into Late Latin, and thence into English.[8] Rabbinic scholars from medieval France believed the standard Hebrew word for faith emuna comes from the root amen. Although in English transliteration they look different, they are both from the root aleph-mem-nun. That is, the Hebrew word amen derives from the same ancient triliteral Hebrew root as does the verb ʾāmán.[9]
Grammarians frequently list ʾāmán under its three consonants (aleph-mem-nun), which are identical to those of ʾāmēn (note that the Hebrew letter א aleph represents a glottal stop sound, which functions as a consonant in the morphology of Hebrew).[8] This triliteral root means to be firm, confirmed, reliable, faithful, have faith, believe.
In Arabic, the word is derived from its triliteral common root word ʾĀmana (Arabic: آمن‎), which has the same meanings as the Hebrew root word.
Popular among some theosophists,[10] proponents of Afrocentric theories of history,[11] and adherents of esoteric Christianity [12][13] is the conjecture that amen is a derivative of the name of the Egyptian god Amun (which is sometimes also spelled Amen). Some adherents of Eastern religions believe that amen shares roots with the Hindu Sanskrit word, Aum.[14][15][16][17] Such external etymologies are not included in standard etymological reference works. The Hebrew word, as noted above, starts with aleph, while the Egyptian name begins with a yodh.[18]
The Armenian word ամեն /ˌɑːmˈɛn/ means "every"; however it is also used in the same form at the conclusion of prayers, much as in English.[19]
Such complicated theories are unnecessary. Because this word seems to be directly derived from Sanskruth word 'Aam' i.e 'Yes'(or 'so be it'). And this also shows that the Old Testament is closely related to the Sanskruth. In fact, old testament seems to contain several connections to Hindhu scriptures.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Paki came Sanskrit Pavaki=Paw
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Online Etymology Dictionary

http://www.etymonline.com/
Murugan