LCA News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Re: LCA News and Discussions

Post by putnanja »

Another story on FCS development by ADE from Tarmak, great article once again, with details only jingos can admire!!

Surviving Sanctions only to become World-Beaters: Tracking the fly-by-wire FCS story from ADE (Part-III-A)
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

Kartik wrote: Why not Sudarshans? They're just LGB guidance kits fitted to 1000 lb dumb bombs. With the Litening LDP lasing the target the Tejas can definitely use Sudarshans. This picture shows it carrying LGBs, one the Israeli Griffin and the other the Paveway.
I was referring to the bombs in the pics not being Sudarshans
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

Not sure how they'll undertake the "EXPORTS" of Tejas. Tejas does not have a DESI engine yet, which means uncle Sam's approval for ANY sale of Tejas as an export. That'll put an end to this discussion.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

^^^ If the Gripen can be, then why not Tejas?
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

ADE part 2 on tarmak.
why make LCA? Why make another Suranjandas Road? (Suranjan Das Road is a popular stretch in Bangalore that cuts across a number of defense establishments. The stretch is named after the great Test pilot Gp Capt Suranjan Das, who had a fatal crash on the HF-24 Mk IR prototype in 1970.) (ouch)
That would have really hurt people in ADE a lot. IMO, lady engineers have really really helped Tejas weather the shortage of manpower due to the IT boom. Hats of to these ladies.
We had 4 designers and 4 testers in 1993. No man power, no experience. No tools and 50 per cent of us were ladies.
I have seen many pilots come and fly the simulator at ADE. I have seen them tense before every maiden flight. I have seen them checking the fail mode, again and again. Especially, Kothiyal, before the first flight, would land up here every day to fly the simulator. He was very focused. I used to watch him very closely. And, when he made that famous statement, I knew, the worth of work. (Kothiyal had said that he felt like flying the simulator, soon after the TD-1 maiden flight.) It is a matter of great pride to the Real Time Simulator (RTS) development team that this is the only dome- based simulator currently operational in the India with almost zero downtime and close to 100% indigenous content.
Hope they get more of these RTS to ease transition to lca
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Vishnu Som should probably try getting into the trainer, it would be a big PR coup
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Let them try selling gripen to unkill enemies (eg iran) and know how they gripe. craig has a point, and I guess LCA export will happen only after mk2 happens. That means indigenous Kaveri would have finished its tests in Russia, and integrated into Mk2. I am positive of this happening, perhaps GTRE would then a tarmak boost for its works and an indigenous 100kN kaveri would be asked to deliver for both LCA-Mk2 and AMCA needs.

This snecma core is a non starter since it would fail IAF requirement of near 100kN wet as in Ge414 that the snecma core needs to satisfy... and it is still a ddm mystery for that specifications.

Kaveri++ should get a new thrust for 100kN version.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

^^^ Saik sahab that will be a bane as long as we don't build our own engines. Our market would always be limited to the set of the countries where the engine manufacturer is comfortable selling weapons.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

guys can we just enjoy the Tejas IOC instead of wet dreams like export, Chinese stealth fighter etc

Lets get the Tejas in Squadron service in numbers
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I hope it gets a HF designation as well.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Tarmk007.blogspot.com has pictures of all LCA test pilots so far. Ananth Krishnan is running a great series on LCA. He wins my defence reporter of the year award even if we are just into 1st week of Jan!! :mrgreen:

Check out the link below for all pilots of NFTC who flew LCA so far ...

Tejas Hall of Fame: The stars who touched the skies with glory
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

suryag wrote:Vishnu Som should probably try getting into the trainer, it would be a big PR coup
I second that..if not now, then maybe a little later, when the Tejas trainer achieves IOC.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Tarmak is really doing marvelous work. We need more like him.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

putnanja wrote:Tarmk007.blogspot.com has pictures of all LCA test pilots so far. Ananth Krishnan is running a great series on LCA. He wins my defence reporter of the year award even if we are just into 1st week of Jan!! :mrgreen:

the breadth of experience on that test team is stupendous, really. Senior ranking pilots from all different fighter types of the IAF and IN (Mirages, MiG-29s, Jaguars, MiG-27s, Su-30MKIs, Sea Harriers) seem to have flown this and would've had a say in the design of the cockpit, avionics, FCS, etc. Terrific to then hear that 15 pilots (before Gp Cpt KK Venugopal joined) with such varied and vast experience rated the Tejas' flying qualities as "very good".

Those are very rare pictures of the flight Test crew and maybe BRF could contact Ananth Krishnan and add a section on the IAF page dedicated to these guys?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

putnanja wrote:Tarmk007.blogspot.com has pictures of all LCA test pilots so far. Ananth Krishnan is running a great series on LCA. He wins my defence reporter of the year award even if we are just into 1st week of Jan!! :mrgreen:

He must be a mind reader - just the other day I was thinking , wouldnt it be nice to have a list of all the pilots involved in the program and today.. bingo... 8)
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Surya wrote:
Lets get the Tejas in Squadron service in numbers
We need 100 in production first.
Then another 100 for more more fleet
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

HF naming normally would be done when? After FoC or after IoC?

7 - 8 squadrons is a guarantee is what I read.
kuldipchager
BRFite

Post by kuldipchager »

This is very good news for those love to see there mother land do good,it does't matter that where they live.
I don't think we need to waiste any on mrca.All we our own engine to be in LCA.
Mig 35 shuold't be in mrca,it shuold be manufacture under 1963 aggrement,any new mig ever comes out it will go to Nasik by the signed dacuments.Same like Jag was signed then mig 27 follows.
I do like to see LCA mk 2-3-4.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

May be we should depute some of these test pilots who are not into active flying duties any longer due to promotions to the TACDE so that they can work with people there and evolve combat techniques for the tejas. I guess once IAF gets convinced that Tejas MK1 can be used for a ground attack role they will go for more Tejas MK1.

Though at times we have been frustrated at the pace, that little bitterness is gone when you see all these test pilots unscathed until IOC. A lot goes behind keeping an aircraft safe across 894 hrs, may this beautiful streak continue and no Tejas ever be lost.

Btw, I hope we get a beautiful flying display today,guess, AI2011 is when we can see a good display
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

I hope 'dd news' covers today's events live......
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Jagan wrote:

He must be a mind reader - just the other day I was thinking , wouldnt it be nice to have a list of all the pilots involved in the program and today.. bingo... 8)
Amongst the test pilots, there is one listed as Ritu Raj something. We have a female test pilot at the NFTC?!
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Raja Bose wrote:
Amongst the test pilots, there is one listed as Ritu Raj something. We have a female test pilot at the NFTC?!
Coincidentally, I know a Ritu Raj and that person is a male. So, this name is also used by males.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

suryag wrote:
Btw, I hope we get a beautiful flying display today,guess, AI2011 is when we can see a good display
I am not expecting any spectacular displays. If there is one word that seems to descrobe the control law team it is caution. The pilot cannot go beyond the software that is written and the team validate the software line by line in flying tests.

I got my first clue about this in Aero India 2001 (I think) when the LCA did a half roll to the right and then turned back without completing the roll. I was told that the software would not allow it to roll completely at that time.
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

Gurneesh wrote:I hope 'dd news' covers today's events live......
Here's a start
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

oh cannot wait for motorhama and aroor to post exclusives!!!!1

While the guy who produces exclusives (tarmak007) does not even bother to headline that :)
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

I think we should have a new thread for LCA after IOC and archive this thread as historic reference.

Today our boy will graduate and join the service :) Proud moment for Mother India.
babbupandey
BRFite

Post by babbupandey »

Can anyone please provide link to the live feed?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Why do I think that today's program will be 90% speeches? Does anyone have any different information?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

hopefully you are working hard today morning from the KGA clubhouse and greens :))
babbupandey
BRFite

Post by babbupandey »

shiv wrote:Why do I think that today's program will be 90% speeches? Does anyone have any different information?
I get the same feeling, basically everything which could be done has already been done. I think it will be more of a token clearance - with people praising the team.
I still would love to hear people praising the team, including those who were very critical of the project. It will be pleasant to watch them eat their own hats.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Chalo it would have started by now, all observers please start looking out for tejas fly bys
babbupandey
BRFite

Post by babbupandey »

Link please!!!!
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

http://webcast.gov.in/live/

Atleast the speeches are being shown live.............now lets hope they show some awesome LCA acrobatics :twisted: .
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH.....damn you dd news.... :(
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

DD News tiker: DM AK Antony hands over IOC to IAF
suryag
Forum Moderator