LCA News and Discussions

Re: LCA News and Discussions

Another story on FCS development by ADE from Tarmak, great article once again, with details only jingos can admire!!

Surviving Sanctions only to become World-Beaters: Tracking the fly-by-wire FCS story from ADE (Part-III-A)

Kartik wrote: Why not Sudarshans? They're just LGB guidance kits fitted to 1000 lb dumb bombs. With the Litening LDP lasing the target the Tejas can definitely use Sudarshans. This picture shows it carrying LGBs, one the Israeli Griffin and the other the Paveway.
I was referring to the bombs in the pics not being Sudarshans

Not sure how they'll undertake the "EXPORTS" of Tejas. Tejas does not have a DESI engine yet, which means uncle Sam's approval for ANY sale of Tejas as an export. That'll put an end to this discussion.

^^^ If the Gripen can be, then why not Tejas?

ADE part 2 on tarmak.
why make LCA? Why make another Suranjandas Road? (Suranjan Das Road is a popular stretch in Bangalore that cuts across a number of defense establishments. The stretch is named after the great Test pilot Gp Capt Suranjan Das, who had a fatal crash on the HF-24 Mk IR prototype in 1970.) (ouch)
That would have really hurt people in ADE a lot. IMO, lady engineers have really really helped Tejas weather the shortage of manpower due to the IT boom. Hats of to these ladies.
We had 4 designers and 4 testers in 1993. No man power, no experience. No tools and 50 per cent of us were ladies.
I have seen many pilots come and fly the simulator at ADE. I have seen them tense before every maiden flight. I have seen them checking the fail mode, again and again. Especially, Kothiyal, before the first flight, would land up here every day to fly the simulator. He was very focused. I used to watch him very closely. And, when he made that famous statement, I knew, the worth of work. (Kothiyal had said that he felt like flying the simulator, soon after the TD-1 maiden flight.) It is a matter of great pride to the Real Time Simulator (RTS) development team that this is the only dome- based simulator currently operational in the India with almost zero downtime and close to 100% indigenous content.
Hope they get more of these RTS to ease transition to lca

Vishnu Som should probably try getting into the trainer, it would be a big PR coup

Let them try selling gripen to unkill enemies (eg iran) and know how they gripe. craig has a point, and I guess LCA export will happen only after mk2 happens. That means indigenous Kaveri would have finished its tests in Russia, and integrated into Mk2. I am positive of this happening, perhaps GTRE would then a tarmak boost for its works and an indigenous 100kN kaveri would be asked to deliver for both LCA-Mk2 and AMCA needs.

This snecma core is a non starter since it would fail IAF requirement of near 100kN wet as in Ge414 that the snecma core needs to satisfy... and it is still a ddm mystery for that specifications.

Kaveri++ should get a new thrust for 100kN version.

^^^ Saik sahab that will be a bane as long as we don't build our own engines. Our market would always be limited to the set of the countries where the engine manufacturer is comfortable selling weapons.

guys can we just enjoy the Tejas IOC instead of wet dreams like export, Chinese stealth fighter etc

Lets get the Tejas in Squadron service in numbers

I hope it gets a HF designation as well.

Tarmk007.blogspot.com has pictures of all LCA test pilots so far. Ananth Krishnan is running a great series on LCA. He wins my defence reporter of the year award even if we are just into 1st week of Jan!! :mrgreen:

Check out the link below for all pilots of NFTC who flew LCA so far ...

Tejas Hall of Fame: The stars who touched the skies with glory

suryag wrote:Vishnu Som should probably try getting into the trainer, it would be a big PR coup
I second that..if not now, then maybe a little later, when the Tejas trainer achieves IOC.

Tarmak is really doing marvelous work. We need more like him.

putnanja wrote:Tarmk007.blogspot.com has pictures of all LCA test pilots so far. Ananth Krishnan is running a great series on LCA. He wins my defence reporter of the year award even if we are just into 1st week of Jan!! :mrgreen:

the breadth of experience on that test team is stupendous, really. Senior ranking pilots from all different fighter types of the IAF and IN (Mirages, MiG-29s, Jaguars, MiG-27s, Su-30MKIs, Sea Harriers) seem to have flown this and would've had a say in the design of the cockpit, avionics, FCS, etc. Terrific to then hear that 15 pilots (before Gp Cpt KK Venugopal joined) with such varied and vast experience rated the Tejas' flying qualities as "very good".

Those are very rare pictures of the flight Test crew and maybe BRF could contact Ananth Krishnan and add a section on the IAF page dedicated to these guys?

putnanja wrote:Tarmk007.blogspot.com has pictures of all LCA test pilots so far. Ananth Krishnan is running a great series on LCA. He wins my defence reporter of the year award even if we are just into 1st week of Jan!! :mrgreen:

He must be a mind reader - just the other day I was thinking , wouldnt it be nice to have a list of all the pilots involved in the program and today.. bingo... 8)

Surya wrote:
Lets get the Tejas in Squadron service in numbers
We need 100 in production first.
Then another 100 for more more fleet

HF naming normally would be done when? After FoC or after IoC?

7 - 8 squadrons is a guarantee is what I read.
kuldipchager

Post by kuldipchager »

This is very good news for those love to see there mother land do good,it does't matter that where they live.
I don't think we need to waiste any on mrca.All we our own engine to be in LCA.
Mig 35 shuold't be in mrca,it shuold be manufacture under 1963 aggrement,any new mig ever comes out it will go to Nasik by the signed dacuments.Same like Jag was signed then mig 27 follows.
I do like to see LCA mk 2-3-4.

May be we should depute some of these test pilots who are not into active flying duties any longer due to promotions to the TACDE so that they can work with people there and evolve combat techniques for the tejas. I guess once IAF gets convinced that Tejas MK1 can be used for a ground attack role they will go for more Tejas MK1.

Though at times we have been frustrated at the pace, that little bitterness is gone when you see all these test pilots unscathed until IOC. A lot goes behind keeping an aircraft safe across 894 hrs, may this beautiful streak continue and no Tejas ever be lost.

Btw, I hope we get a beautiful flying display today,guess, AI2011 is when we can see a good display
Gurneesh

Post by Gurneesh »

I hope 'dd news' covers today's events live......

Jagan wrote:

He must be a mind reader - just the other day I was thinking , wouldnt it be nice to have a list of all the pilots involved in the program and today.. bingo... 8)
Amongst the test pilots, there is one listed as Ritu Raj something. We have a female test pilot at the NFTC?!

Raja Bose wrote:
Amongst the test pilots, there is one listed as Ritu Raj something. We have a female test pilot at the NFTC?!
Coincidentally, I know a Ritu Raj and that person is a male. So, this name is also used by males.

suryag wrote:
Btw, I hope we get a beautiful flying display today,guess, AI2011 is when we can see a good display
I am not expecting any spectacular displays. If there is one word that seems to descrobe the control law team it is caution. The pilot cannot go beyond the software that is written and the team validate the software line by line in flying tests.

I got my first clue about this in Aero India 2001 (I think) when the LCA did a half roll to the right and then turned back without completing the roll. I was told that the software would not allow it to roll completely at that time.

Gurneesh wrote:I hope 'dd news' covers today's events live......
Here's a start

oh cannot wait for motorhama and aroor to post exclusives!!!!1

While the guy who produces exclusives (tarmak007) does not even bother to headline that :)

I think we should have a new thread for LCA after IOC and archive this thread as historic reference.

Today our boy will graduate and join the service :) Proud moment for Mother India.
babbupandey

Post by babbupandey »

Can anyone please provide link to the live feed?

Why do I think that today's program will be 90% speeches? Does anyone have any different information?

hopefully you are working hard today morning from the KGA clubhouse and greens :))
babbupandey

Post by babbupandey »

shiv wrote:Why do I think that today's program will be 90% speeches? Does anyone have any different information?
I get the same feeling, basically everything which could be done has already been done. I think it will be more of a token clearance - with people praising the team.
I still would love to hear people praising the team, including those who were very critical of the project. It will be pleasant to watch them eat their own hats.

Chalo it would have started by now, all observers please start looking out for tejas fly bys
babbupandey

Post by babbupandey »

Link please!!!!
Gurneesh

Post by Gurneesh »

http://webcast.gov.in/live/

Atleast the speeches are being shown live.............now lets hope they show some awesome LCA acrobatics :twisted: .
Gurneesh

Post by Gurneesh »

AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH.....damn you dd news.... :(

Post by dinesha »

DD News tiker: DM AK Antony hands over IOC to IAF