Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by chackojoseph »

INS Kakinada

Someone forwarded me this pic.
Patrick Cusack
BRFite

Post by Patrick Cusack »

Did not know a war was fought in Kochi - should name memorials appropriately :lol: :rotfl: :roll: :shock: :D :)
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Patrick, I don't spot anything funny about a war memorial. Nothing to laugh about, is there?
Gurinder P
BRFite

Post by Gurinder P »

atreya wrote:Patrick, I don't spot anything funny about a war memorial. Nothing to laugh about, is there?
It's not the war memorial that is funny, heck it is a fine piece of architecture, but what is funny, is the phrase "kochi war memorial" which sounds like Kochi had fought a war by itself. Instead the original author should have wrote a "war memorial in kochi."
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Regional War memorials are to honour those who fell in the service of the country who were from that region, and also to honour those from the area who are still continuing to serve. Not necessary that a war had to be fought in THAT region for it to get a memorial.

AP has a war memorial in secunderabad. fittingly it has names of soldiers, airmen and navy personnel from andhra who died in all the wars. its not called 'War mmorial in AP'.. just that its AP's war memorial.. belongs to the state - to honor those from teh state... so on and so forth.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

My English teacher Smt. Macaulay taught me that I should say "War Memorial in Kochi" to indicate a memorial for many wars in Kochi and to say "Kochi War Memorial" when I was speaking of a memorial built to commemorate the Kochi war.

BTW Congratulations to this thread. Saar/Madam you have taken 1 million plus hits and survived adminulla djinns.
Gurinder P
BRFite

Post by Gurinder P »

Jagan wrote:Regional War memorials are to honour those who fell in the service of the country who were from that region, and also to honour those from the area who are still continuing to serve. Not necessary that a war had to be fought in THAT region for it to get a memorial.

AP has a war memorial in secunderabad. fittingly it has names of soldiers, airmen and navy personnel from andhra who died in all the wars. its not called 'War mmorial in AP'.. just that its AP's war memorial.. belongs to the state - to honor those from teh state... so on and so forth.
The 'apostrophe s' after the name of the city/state/region changes the tone and meaning of the title or name. Like you said Jagan, AP's War Memorial, which clearly gives the idea of a memorial in AP to honour men and women who died for India.

War Memorials are indeed not a funny matter since they sadly represent the travesty we humans like to keep creating and losing fine people to ensure lasting peace. I should go lay some flowers at a cenotaph near my house.
Patrick Cusack
BRFite

Post by Patrick Cusack »

Did not mean to hurt any ones feelings - sorry. What war is it dedicated to?
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

^^^It dedicated to all the wars fought.

The name "kochi war memorial" is popular one. If someone searches for it, the key word will be that.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

via livefist
The lady is here again
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_o_no4M2xEPY/T ... 783433.JPG
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

There was a lady officer on a T-90 during the Army Day Parade in Parade Grounds in nai dilli.

Now this lady is on the NBC recce vehicle on the R-day parade practice there.

Are we sure this is the same lady officer? Because these are entirely different units.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

More importantly will the army allow the female officer(s) who command a tank into war in the frontline?

If they won't, why post them in such a unit? Only for the R-day parade?

Although, the IAF had women pilots in Cheetahs flying all through the Kargil war. There was even an incident where the Pakistanis fired an Anza or a Stinger at the cheetah on which a female was a co-pilot and that chopper had to take evasive measures apparently. So women in the armed forces have been deployed in war and come under fire it seems.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Gagan wrote:There was a lady officer on a T-90 during the Army Day Parade in Parade Grounds in nai dilli.

Now this lady is on the NBC recce vehicle on the R-day parade practice there.

Are we sure this is the same lady officer? Because these are entirely different units.
Gagan in the close up I am certain it was not a T-90. The person in the T-90 was too far away to be recognised as a woman. In fact if you look at Livefist pics of T-90 there is a clean shaven "chikna" male who could well be mistaken for a woman in a photo from a distance.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_o_no4M2xEPY/T ... 781651.JPG
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Shiv saar you are right. Too far off to see clearly.

That female officer is in charge of an NBC recce vehicle. Looks like the vehicle has been handed over to the forces and is deployed. Makes sense that females will be allowed here.

Those red bars that we see on the side are flags that the Vehicle will drop in an area if it finds a contamination.
The vehicle itself has a minilab inside where they can analyze soil, air and water samples, all of which they collect without having to step outside of the vehicle. The vehicle of course is NBC proof.

I got a REAL GOOD look inside one of those right after R-day parade a few years back. These vehicles are on display right after the R-day parade ends in the big circle around India Gate. If any jingos are in Nai-Dilli, it is a good idea to go there with your camera and snap pictures starting around noon-1PM to about 5 PM. All the mil hardware is on display, and kids get to even go inside the tanks and mess around with the fire control computer of the bofors (just kidding).
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Here is a much better pic of that Patton in Kolkata - taken in 1972 or 73. You can see the neat holes bored by some anti-tank munition.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

This one is next to the entrance of Fort william? Next to the tram tracks on the maidan?
There are a lot more trees around it these days, and there is a small grille barrier in place. I think it overlooks the eastern entrance of Fort William.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Jagan wrote:Regional War memorials are to honour those who fell in the service of the country who were from that region, and also to honour those from the area who are still continuing to serve. Not necessary that a war had to be fought in THAT region for it to get a memorial.

in UK and france, every church, every village hall, almost every (old) school has the names of the local men and boys who died in ww1 and ww2. many villages have a dedicated war memorial, usually a cross in a prominent place, often with the names of villagers who were killed. sometimes railway stations have the names of railway men who volunteered and were killed in action. all receive poppy wreaths on 11th nov (armistice day). then odd ones like the king's gardners from sandringham estate who all volunteered together and almost all were killed in a single action near gallipoli in 1917 - not entirely clear what happened to them, but several appear to have been captured and summarily executed by turkish troops

on the paris metro there used to be signs saying 'please give up the seat for the old/pregnant and those mutilated by war'
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

Image of Pune War Memorial...

The National War Memorial Southern Command is a war memorial in Pune Cantonment, India dedicated to Post Independence war martyrs. This is the only war memorial in South Asia which has been erected by citizens contributions. The memorial was unveiled and dedicated to the nation on August 15, 1998. A Mig 23 BN, which was used in the Kargil War, has been kept on display at the memorial. A replica of the now decommissioned frigate INS Trishul, which served in the Portuguese-Indian War and the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, is also kept on display. Recently, the Pune Cantonment Board sanctioned a sum of Rs 32,00,000 for renovation of the memorial.[2] The work included laying a new lawn, landscaping and laying pathways for visitor
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

The photographer tweeted this Amazing SU-30 MKI shot to me. :shock:
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Thats Vishal's picture from last AeroIndia. A particularly beautiful shot of the MKI too :)
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Hi! So its you who operates that twitter id.
Thanks for the kind mention, i'm also the Creator & Administrator for The Sukhoi Su-30 Pool Image
Perhaps the finest collection of Su-30 Images out there.

Cheers - Vishal
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:Image

Hi! So its you who operates that twitter id.
Thanks for the kind mention, i'm also the Creator & Administrator for The Sukhoi Su-30 Pool Image
Perhaps the finest collection of Su-30 Images out there.

Cheers - Vishal
Lol, I just carried coal to new castle.
yes, I do operate the twitter id frontierindia

Please tweet me new pics when online. I would love to look at them.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

shiv wrote:Here is a much better pic of that Patton in Kolkata - taken in 1972 or 73. You can see the neat holes bored by some anti-tank munition.
Can we have a shot of this from today? Anyone?
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Breathtaking. Just arrived from Kochi, republic day parade.

INS Charag
akimalik
BRFite

Post by akimalik »

chackojoseph wrote:Breathtaking. Just arrived from Kochi, republic day parade.

INS Charag
Oh lovely image, reminds me of my younger days on INS Pralaya (K91).
Thanks a ton
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Did you serve on the ship sir ?
akimalik
BRFite

Post by akimalik »

suryag wrote:Did you serve on the ship sir ?
No Sir,
Just the son of an Officer who commanded these ships :-).
Did try to get into the Navy (albeit the Medical Officer thought otherwise).
Was part of the Sea Cadet Corps though.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

akimalik wrote:
chackojoseph wrote:Breathtaking. Just arrived from Kochi, republic day parade.

INS Charag
Oh lovely image, reminds me of my younger days on INS Pralaya (K91).
Thanks a ton
Welcome Sir!
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Full Republic day parade video. You can never get tired of this event :)

http://republicday.nic.in/rday11_flash.html
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

Some Repubic Day Pic''s

jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Gagan wrote:
I got a REAL GOOD look inside one of those right after R-day parade a few years back. These vehicles are on display right after the R-day parade ends in the big circle around India Gate. If any jingos are in Nai-Dilli, it is a good idea to go there with your camera and snap pictures starting around noon-1PM to about 5 PM. All the mil hardware is on display, and kids get to even go inside the tanks and mess around with the fire control computer of the bofors (just kidding).

You officially owe me a crate of beer now. Spent half the day looking for the display only to come home empty handed. They've stopped the practice for quite some time now. :evil: :evil:
rohan_kumaon
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rohan_kumaon »

Amazing stuff! Once saw the parade first hand...Our own MKI gave the flypast...it was good!
sunny y
BRFite

Post by sunny y »

If I am right, There was no march by Sikh Regiment, Kumaon Regiment, Paras, Bihar Regiment. Right ??

or Did I miss something ??
samsher
BRFite -Trainee

Post by samsher »

sunny y wrote:If I am right, There was no march by Sikh Regiment, Kumaon Regiment, Paras, Bihar Regiment. Right ??

or Did I miss something ??
Sikh LI was present and accounted for! you can see them in all their glory here:
http://republicday.nic.in/
The Sikh LI @ around 56:12.

Great parade, but did miss hearing Brig. Chitaranjan Sawant's commentary.
jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

The parade was disappointing somehow this year. There were lesser equipment on displays and the marches seemed to be lesser as well.....or am I getting greedier over the years :wink:

Certainly missed Tejas and LCH, Dhruv, WSI Dhruv, Arjun in the flypast, Navy could have displayed so many things as well......
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Please pic and pic only............no discussion. We have other threads for that stuff.
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

Paramilitary with Tavor?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Looks like the Micro Tavor.
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

May be its OFB Zittara supposed to be indian version of micro Tavor.