Indian Army: News & Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Army: News & Discussion

Post by ramana »

This looks more like Delta Force?
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Interestingly, India has a number of units which can have the same role as Delta Force - SG is one of them. NSG used to be another before their effectiveness got diluted with excessive babudom and chai-biskoot.
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

Raja Bose wrote:Interestingly, India has a number of units which can have the same role as Delta Force - SG is one of them. NSG used to be another before their effectiveness got diluted with excessive babudom and chai-biskoot.
The US forces are governed by the Posse Comitatus Act, so a more appropriate anology would be the French: NSG = GIGN and SG = old 11e RPC.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

I think they have some exceptions for those under JSOC.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Surya wrote:rohit!!!!

a thousand lashes to you :twisted:

:)
:P :P :P

Surya, I knew the moment I made the comment about SG, I'll get the danda from you!!!

But jokes aside, people need to be a bit more aware about Indian PARA SF.......the issue is with how we manage the SF and not the lack of some super-duper secret unit.......we have enough of them. May be, some day, some one will write more details of PARA SF operations and hoping against hope, SG.
Ashutosh Malik
BRFite

Post by Ashutosh Malik »

rohitvats wrote:
Surya wrote:rohit!!!!

a thousand lashes to you :twisted:

:)
:P :P :P

Surya, I knew the moment I made the comment about SG, I'll get the danda from you!!!

But jokes aside ............................we have enough of them. May be, some day, some one will write more details of PARA SF operations and hoping against hope, SG.
True.

Till now, the West and so some extent, Russians, have used the media and publishing world to create a halo around their SFs. And the so called developing world citizens, who had migrated to reading the West et al published stuff, had only those reference points to form opinions about what is "World class", "Badass(I have never understood why I should respect someone who looks supposedly "badass"!)" etc. etc. It is another reference point from the West. Not that I am trying to put down the West because there is much to learn from the Western Civilisation - after all they have set the pace - particularly in the last 200 odd years even though China and India still constituted about 50% of the world GDP around 1820s but we were on the way down and the West was ascendant.

This viewpoint is still seen among the impressionable youth of India - they have no information or reference points regarding our units and achievements and grow up being fed stuff from the West because that is where it is available - whether in videos or in books or novels.

But as we gain more confidence as a society, we will probably see a change on our attitude towards others and their media spin. Some of the stories I have heard about the "unmentionable unit" do not seem real and yet it seems they are.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Ashutosh, would it be possible to share those stories here?
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Ashutosh Malik wrote: "Badass(I have never understood why I should respect someone who looks supposedly "badass"!)" etc. etc. It is another reference point from the West.
OT but if I may, the western Civilization adores library burning, civilian massacaring Alaksendar as their original hero. Now this hero worship is done by not those of his bloodline, but actually those who have nearly snuffed out his blood line, that is the intermingled, Hunnic tribes with Nordic blood.

These are intellectual descendants of Alexander and blood line descendants of Attila the Hun and Hagar the horrible (pun intended)

What do you expect?
jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

nachiket wrote:Ashutosh, would it be possible to share those stories here?
Here are some of the old exploits of SFF available in the public domain. A very reliable and friendly neighbourhood Chaiwalla tells me that these guys and their like are at the forefront of anti terrorist ops in the valley and even in other major cities / ops; and operate in local police uniforms. Credit for the kills are given to the local police.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Frontier_Force
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Slightly off but something that will interest you
The mismatch between 5.56 and 7.62 mm calibre weapons......

NZ attempts to correct the mismatch
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10701925
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

sameer_shelavale wrote:Will MBT Arjun be kept out of Independence Day parade?
I don't see it any photos.
:( last years' picture onlee.
Republic Day Parade a feast for eyes even as fog tries to cloud the view
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Del ... e95121.ece
MBT Arjun Tank rolling down the Rajpath amidst heavy fog during Republic Day Parade, in New Delhi on Tuesday. Photo: Sandeep Saxena
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Dont' know where else this is relevant

Spoke to 7 people here & there, public security, army expo etc about INSAS

- Ok weapon
- Bad fit & finish from OFB not really good enough. No concern of aesthetics, with words scratched in, some parts loose and need machining/fixing for fit
- Reliable weapon
- No clear answer about whether 7.62mm rifle is better
- Two people preferred Ak, INSAS needs regular cleaning and maintenance, Ak can go longer without, also in some situations ammo is also available from opponents stocks
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Awesome R-Day parade.

Tearful moment as the brother of Major (Dr) LJ Singh claimed his brothers Ashok Chakra. Major LJ Singh died fighting attackers in the Kabul attack, even while unarmed, to save the lives of his comrades.
Ashutosh Malik
BRFite

Post by Ashutosh Malik »

nachiket wrote:Ashutosh, would it be possible to share those stories here?
Nachiket, wouldn't be a good idea. I think, official way is the best way, whenever official India is ready to share those after sanitising whatever is necessary from national security point of view.

Best regards.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Karan M wrote:Dont' know where else this is relevant

Spoke to 7 people here & there, public security, army expo etc about INSAS

- Ok weapon
- Bad fit & finish from OFB not really good enough. No concern of aesthetics, with words scratched in, some parts loose and need machining/fixing for fit
- Reliable weapon
- No clear answer about whether 7.62mm rifle is better
- Two people preferred Ak, INSAS needs regular cleaning and maintenance, Ak can go longer without, also in some situations ammo is also available from opponents stocks
You know Karan,

I have been asking too. This is what my opinion is:

it depends who are using it. For example , paramilitary, railways etc who are using it like it because of its weight and "it has ironed out issues of AK 47."

Wrt Army. it is divided up. Some like its capabilities. some prefer AK. its like riding a enfield bullet or a Java. Its a matter of affordability and use.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Agreed, could you tell us more what you asked and what response was. Next time I query around, might help.

Only real issue I could find is that OFB does not seem to be paying much issue towards fit & finish & development of the weapon, which otherwise is reliable and has good potential. Even that is not really such a big deal, but when so many people are exposed to foreign made arms, a mental comparison does take place, I feel.

Also spoke to two guys about BEL's products (actually DRDOs but made/codeveloped by BEL) and they were happy, both with performance, BEL/DRDO's service & support, and also manufacturing quality/finish.

There was a display with another BEL designed and made item & few steps away, something from foreign vendor from France. Both had comparable specifications and even quality in terms of look and feel also. BEL guy even said, their product may look as good but ours is actually better, as we have taken local requirements (battery life, ruggedization) into account.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

I was fortunate enough to fire different weapons during my NCC days. Any gun man understands when questions are posed to them. Normally, you have to develop an instant rapo with them and they respond very well.

Straight forward Q's like Choo se " AK or INSAS" (after rapo), will elicit intricacy of the systems.

For example, I went to railway station to pick up someone incoming, I happen to stand near the RPF room and a sentry was holding INSAS. I went and asked him "This is INSAS, the India gun?" He immediately warmed up. he was a guard and not officer. (All Q's in shudh hindi, translated in english)
Next Q was 'must be hard carrying a gun everyday, eh!"
reply "It is better now days, INSAS is light."
Me: "but, I have heard bad thing about it."
reply: "I have never faced trouble with it."
Me""people prefer AK's"
reply: "ak's are good, but, insas has been made to iron out its problems."
Me "what problems?"
reply" weight, firing at smaller distances are easy, less lethal in case it has to be fired in crowd etc."

The officer walks towards us. The sepoy tells him that I am inquiring about gun.

I tell the officer, I was in NCC and fired many, but, did not have the fortune of firing INSAS.
Officer smiles. He says he too was in NCC, which wing?
I tell him Air wing. he tell me you flew gliders? I said yes.
he says he missed flying and he was in army wing.
then he offers his opinion "absolutely good gun, especially for close combat."
I asked " don't the magazine case crack?"
he: " No, its fiber and is light weight."
Anther sepoy walks up with a SLR.
me: ufff, heavy but kicks like a mule."
sepoy "no sahab, very dependable."
me: 'ok, great talking to to you guys. One last Q, choose "AK, INSAS, SLR."
officer " close combat is insas, else SLR." Other's agree.
Me "I thought , its maintenance heavy."
officer "no." He adds, every equipment has its maintenance procedure.

small talk and then we move on

My conclusion: Police like it because of the amount of time they spend with it lugging around and they need to operate in a civilian environment.

2009:

(can't give location) personnel CISF.

Young man touting an AK. The usual rapo routine.

Young man: "You know sir, I was first posted in J&k. I was on a railway platform. The firing began. I had a SLR. I was shaking with fear. I couldn't respond. Finally, i managed to overcome fear. tried shooting from the sandbags. The SLR was single fire. Fear and moving target and SLR was a bad combination. AK gives burst fire but difficult to fire in crowd. too much causality. If its a coal mine or open facilty, AK is better. In crowded situation INSAS works best."

My conclusion: he is speaking about application based analysis. CISF folks are usually graduates?

2010 Jan. Army man

he says "both weapons are ok. some want INSAS and some want AK. It depends who is handling the weapon and his preference. both have plus and minus. We cannot say which is better. Also, we will fight with what ever available. INSAS had problems, now, it is a good weapon. It is like AK,but, light and is shoot to incapacitate weapon. It is not a kill weapon. it is very lethal for its range. Ak is a pure kill weapon and INSAS is for maiming. it totally depends on who wants to use and how he wants to use. The units should have a good mix of the two and higher caliber weapon too."

My inference: he is looking at both close quarter and mid quarter combat.

You see, there are no standard question. you have to evaluate the answer as per the situation, usage, the subject himself etc.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

chackojoseph wrote:My conclusion: he is speaking about application based analysis. CISF folks are usually graduates?
Officers (like Deputy Commandants etc.) in CPOs would be graduates. But for the constabulary I feel it is 10th Std. pass (and for some trades, even less). But considering the rise of educational levels in the country, perhaps it would also have a few graduates. In Kerala Police I have heard that from 1990 onwards pretty much every one who joined as PC was a graduate.
sumshyam
BRFite

Post by sumshyam »

Indian Army plans 20K Crore artillery overhaul
The Indian Army is all set to modernise its arsenal and is investing 20,000 Crore for the same. The step ahead toward strengthening the artillery base will happen through several inter-governmental pacts and global tenders.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ Honestly, this must be the 400th time the same news has been posted on BRF right from 1999... Wake me up when anything actually happens on this front ( even 1%) ...
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Same ol' same ol'. The army does a lot of "planning" with big money envisaged to be spent. Then the MoD and CBI come together to stop the actual implementation. And the cycle repeats again.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

From Orbat.com:
Nonetheless, however badly it may be implementing its strategy, India does have one. We won't go into the naval part of it, except to say India is establishing naval bases an alliances with Indian Ocean states. what we will very briefly discuss is the Northern component of India's strategy, which is to bring pressure against China in the Himalayas.

Before anyone starts congratulating the Indians for their foresight and canniness, please to note the Chinese have behaved so aggressively in the north for the 15 years after the two countries decided to demilitarize their land border, that India has had no choice but to react. Let sleeping dogs lie is something the Chinese should have done, but being the Chinese, they couldn't resist repeatedly hitting the sleeping Indian dog which in its slow, fuddled, lethargic, disorganized way has started biting back. And this has shown the sheer stupidity of Chinese policy, for all that the Chinese want us to think they are so very sophisticated. The Chinese have not just pushed India into America's arms, they have triggered an Indian buildup that is going to create real vulnerabilities for them when there was no need to get into fights.
A short backtracking into the historical time machine After India's 1962 defeat, India built up a high altitude army of 11 divisions, each with the firepower, mobility, and manpower of two Chinese divisions of the time. Since China, far from reacting, actually began withdrawing forces from Tibet as the Tibet insurgency died, bit by bit India started to stand down in the north.

We could give you a blow by blow history of what India did, but suffice it to say that by 2008, India had drawn down its China front forces to the point only four divisions of the 11 would be left in the north in case of war with Pakistan. Everything else had gone into a pool for deployment against Pakistan, even as the peacetime bases of those seven divisions remained where they were.

Fast forward to January 2011 In response to Chinese provocations, India has (a) undertaken a major expansion of strategic and border roads; (b) reactivated and expanded a large number of forward airfields and air landing grounds; (c) raised an initial batch of four new mountain divisions - more will come; (d) cleared the raising of two more independent brigades for the China border; (d) begun the process of choosing AFVs for the north, not just for Ladakh, but for the Northeast as well; (e) begun forward basing Su-30 heavy strike air force squadrons; (f) started the selection process for several hundred additional helicopters; (g) cleared the creation of new air defense brigades for the China front; (h) greatly expanded its paramilitary forces for the entire northern border ranging from Burma to the Karakoram Pass; (i) begun raising two new scouts groups for the Northeast; (j) initiated purchase of heavy lift aircraft from the US, purchased 6 + 6 C-130s specifically outfitted for commando operations behind Chinese lines; (k) begun boosting the numbers of SF battalions; (l) begun revitalizing the Parachute Brigade to give it greater capability of jumping deep behind Chinese lines in Ladakh plus lay the groundwork for a second parachute brigade; (m) accelerated networking of battlefield units - the Chinese boast about their developments, the Indians say very little); (n) accelerated a major initiative to convert the entire army to 155mm guns, phasing out mountain 75/24s, 105s, and 130s, plus induction of numbers of long-range heavy rocket launchers; (o) undertaken the formation of the first artillery division oriented specifically toward the China border; (p) begun the long process needed to bring Indian infantry into the 21st Century including networking individual soldiers; (q) begun the process of increasing infantry battalion firepower; (r) increasing AWACS, ELINT, and reconnaissance capabilities in the north. There are other initiatives for which we do not yet have details.
Many of these initiatives were originally designed to counter Pakistan, but now the priority is the north. The west can keep.

India being India, many of these initiatives will take time. For example, the increased air mobility of the Indian Army is not proceeding speedily; contracts that seemed all-but-signed have had to be torn up and the bidding process started anew. The sorry state of the medium artillery program is well known, though the government has realized its importance - the first order for 8 regiments of lightweight 155mm guns was a consequence, more are to be ordered on a priority basis.

The important thing is that India is moving. Ponderously, slowly, but it is moving. A little known aspect of the whole show is that India is shifting - ever so slowly but ever so surely - from a pure defensive posture in the north to an offensive posture.

We wonder if the Chinese are thinking to themselves what was the point of their provoking India by building roads in Indian claim territory and patrolling aggressively. What cheap thrill are the Chinese getting by disrespecting India repeatedly? The Chinese had everything they could hope for in the Himalayas: an army much more powerful than they could counter was stood down by pulling several diplomatic fast ones on India. The Indians never intended to attack in the Himalayas, General Sundarji and the aberrations of 1986-87 notwithstanding. Their entire policy was live and let live. Wasn't good enough for the Chinese, and ten years down the line, they are going to have to undertake a massive counter build up in Tibet - for no reason except their foolishness.
Two points in conclusion One, India does not want to be a world military power so it spends a good bit less of GDP on defense than China. We can argue about the actual figures, but a good bit less it is. At the same time, India is growing as fast as China economically; because it has a much younger population, it will overtake China in growth rates 20-25 years down the line. So India has far more leeway to increase defense spending against China than is true for the converse.

Two, if the situation in Pakistan starts cracking up, India will move rapidly to retake Pakistan Kashmir for the simple reason it cannot tolerate a jihadi state opposite Indian Kashmir. For various reasons, which we can discuss later, a jihadi state opposite the rest of the western border is not that much of a problem. If Pakistan Kashmir falls to India, China will suffer its greatest foreign/military policy defeat since it made Vietnam into an enemy - but the consequences for Chinese expansion into Central Asia will be much more serious than the loss of Vietnam was for China's position in Southeast Asia.
Is China pre-emting this by moving into POK in guise of construction troops and manpower?
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

^ all the reason to make people say, the next war is going to be in the North but skirmishes in the west.
jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

rohitvats wrote:From Orbat.com:
[/b].
Is China pre-emting this by moving into POK in guise of construction troops and manpower?

I tend to believe so. My hypothesis is that developing the Chinese north west will be a key Chinese priority to contain civil unrest there, and its easier for them to bring in key supplies and trade lines via Gwader into this area, than overland from eastern China.

They also know that the Pakis would not be able to defend POK if Indian defense forces attacked with good strength, therefore they are doing their bit to secure the area for themselves. I would not be surprised if they were to - in the coming years arm twist the pakis to hand over the entire area to them so that they could "develop" it.

Also, with the infrastructure they now have across the border in Aksai Chin / Tibet they would almost certainly resort to major thrusts in Laddakh to secure all of it if possible. They have nothing comparable to gain in the NE, so most of their tirades in NE appear to be mere posturing - to distract from the real target -Laddakh and POK -Gilgit/Baltistan. Their only interest in Pak is the easy access to Iran / other gulf states.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... z1CbzfS2sC

Soldier takes on dacoits on train Gang Of 30

TNN, Sep 4, 2010, 01.22am IST

KOLKATA/CHITTARANJAN: A Gorkha Rifles jawan travelling on a train did not hesitate to take on a gang of 30 armed dacoits singlehandedly, armed with just a khukri, when he saw them looting his fellow passengers. A GRP escort team posted on the train reportedly did nothing to stop the robbers on Maurya Express late on Thursday.

Nearly 30 armed dacoits looted cash and valuables worth `10 lakh from passengers of Maurya Express between Kulti and Chittaranjan stations along the West Bengal-Jharkhand border on Thursday night.

The armed dacoits refused to mess with Vishnu Shresta when they came to know that he is a soldier, but the 45-year-old Gorkha Rifles jawan would not sit back and watch his fellow passengers being manhandled and looted. The fearless Gurkha pulled out his khukri and fell upon the dacoits till he was overpowered. After a hurried shot fired at him went astray, they used the same khukri to slash Shresta's wrist.

Shresta is posted at Ranchi and was proceeding on leave to Pokhra in Nepal. He boarded the Hatia-Gorakhpur Jn Maurya Express from Ranchi on Thursday evening. When the raid took place, he was fast asleep on his berth.

"Suddenly, there were shouts and the sound of running feet," Shresta recounted from his bed at Kasturba Gandhi Hospital in Chittaranjan. "Somebody pulled at my bedclothes. I sat up and found a number of people standing near my feet. They demanded that I hand over all my cash and valuables. There was confusion all around and I shouted that I am an Indian Army jawan. The criminals backed off and turned their attention to a woman and her child, who were on a berth close by," Shresta added.

He lost his cool when he saw a miscreant trying to pull out the girl, about 8 years old, from the berth and snatch a necklace from her mother.

"I am a soldier and get paid to protect citizens of this country. I could not sit back and watch as passengers were looted. I pulled out my khukri and attacked the criminals. Initially, they were taken by surprise and I succeeded in connecting with at least three of them. The blows were severe and they must have got themselves admitted to some hospital. By then, the criminals started fighting back. They fired a shot that missed me. At one point of time, the khukri fell from my hand and I was overpowered. They picked it up and used it on me," the jawan said.

After Shresta slumped to the ground, profusely bleeding from his wound, all fight went out from the other passengers. None of them dared to make eye contact with the criminals and did their bidding.

According to authorities, members of the gang were travelling on the train posing as passengers. Around 11.25pm, about 10 minutes after the train left Kulti station, the criminals detached the vacuum hose between two coaches. This brought the train to a stop. While some dacoits entered S1, S2 and S3 coaches, others smashed the windows of the A1 and B1 air-conditioned compartments to gain entry.

"The miscreants were shouting in Hindi. When they asked us to hand over all our valuables, I gave them my purse and cellphone," said Nilu Verma, who was on her way to Lakhisarai from Katras. Ajay Srivastava was walking back to his berth from the toilet when he was accosted by the criminals. "One of them snatched my cellphone and asked me to hand over my wallet. As I took some time to react, he slapped me and snatched my belongings," said Srivastava, who was going to Muzaffarpur.

Anita Modi, on her way to Barauni, felt that the 15-20 minutes of terror would never come to an end. "Passengers were beaten up and abused. Even women were not spared. People were screaming but nobody came to our assistance. When the train reached Chittaranjan, we were feeling ill," she said.

Shresta said the criminals were in the late thirties and carrying various types of weapons, including guns, daggers and tangis. Strangely, railway staff on the train said they were not aware that passengers had been robbed till they reached Chittaranjan. "We shall discuss with the RPF and GRP on how to provide security on night trains in this stretch," said G C Roy, senior divisional commercial manager of Asansol.

Police succeeded in arresting six of the criminals and recovered a part of the booty later. A manhunt has been launched for the others. Asansol divisional railway manager Jagadanand Jha claimed that there was a GRP escort on the train, but the personnel did little to prevent the crime.

These are our soldiers, god bless them. And these are the sheep that they protect. The same public which cowers before criminals, but it is quick to point fingers at and abuse the soldiers, who they know will never harm them. We are truly an ungrateful nation. God bless our soldiers.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

a sikh jawan who tried to fight a couple of criminals who had snatched valuables from a passenger in bangalore central railway station was stabbed to death right on the platform few months ago. he was declared dead on arrival in the hospital.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Maybe we should let the jawans carry arms while on leave.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

The army authorities have strict rules against it, so that troops on leave do not decide to settle a few scores at home!
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Army chopper crashes in Nashik; 2 Majors killed
A Cheetah helicopter of the Army aviation crashed on an empty building in a residential area of Nashik, Maharashtra [ Images ] on Wednesday morning.

Two Army Majors onboard the ill-fated chopper died in the mishap, reports suggested.

However, there were no civilian casualties in the accident.

The helicopter was on a routine flight from Nashik to Goa [ Images ] when it crashed minutes after it took off at around 9.15 am, reports added.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

In the Adarsh case, the 35% genuine defence forces allottees that were given flats, are caught in the crossfire between mantris, babus, and cops. Their life savings have turned to ashes in one fell swoop.

http://week.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bin/ ... me=TheWeek Current Events&programId=1073754900&contentId=8686239

Fallen flat

CONTROVERSY

War heroes feel let down at the decision to demolish the Adarsh building

By Jisha Krishnan

Retired surgeon Captain Dr Shyamsunder Tampi wanted to shift to his new one-BHK Adarsh Housing Society flat last year. However, that did not happen. The society’s occupation certificate was revoked, and water and electricity cut off. “My savings of 26 years, every penny I had, were put into the flat... They even gave me a possession certificate,” says Tampi, a recipient of the Operation Vijay medal for his exemplary service during the Kargil war.

Mounting EMIs and rent do not make things any better for this consultant physician and pulmonologist at Bombay Hospital. Tampi is one of at least 34 defence members of the society who believe they are ‘genuine, legitimate owners’ caught in a convoluted political crossfire.

For them, the latest blow has been the Union environment ministry’s recommendation to demolish the 31-storey building within three months. Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh has said that it violated the Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) Notification, 1991, by not even acknowledging the need for clearance. He wants the building “removed in its entirety and the area restored”.

But retired Colonel K.J.S. Khurana, who served in the 1965 and 1971 wars, questions the move. “Why doesn’t the minister want to demolish Lavasa?” asks the 65-year-old, pointing out the ministry’s lax stand on the Lavasa project. Khurana insists that the society was never meant to be a home for Kargil widows. The intention, he says, was to house retired and serving officers, war veterans and widows. Asks Commander Rajiv Pilo, who served during the 1971 Bangladesh liberation war: "Was the government sleeping all this while? What took it so long to realise there were irregularities?"

There are too many questions with very few answers. The environment ministry admits that the Environment Protection Act is not widely used, but it is keen to set a precedent. “Prior to this, environment laws were considered a mere formality. Nobody took them seriously,” says Maharashtra’s environment secretary, Valsa Nair Singh.

Experts say this is going to be a landmark judgment. “The EPA gives sweeping powers to the government,” says Y.P. Singh, former police officer and a legal activist. “Sadly, they have not been utilised so far.... This is the time to send across a strong message.”

It is hard to say, though, what the message will be. The CBI, which is yet to file a First Information Report in the case, was flayed in the High Court in the last hearing. The state has appointed a two-member commission to probe the case, which, Adarsh Society counsel Satish Maneshinde says, has “no substance”. According to him, the society has mandatory clearances. Political vendetta is the only explanation, he maintains. “The minister has been keen on demolishing Adarsh since the beginning.... However, the ministry has no legal authority to issue such an order,” says Maneshinde.

Accusations are flying thick and fast. State Information Commissioner Ramanand Tiwari, who is embroiled in the scam, has refused to step down even as his suspension order is expected to come through soon. Subhash Lalla, state human rights commissioner and former chief minister Vilasrao Deshmukh’s secretary, felt let down, too, when the Congress asked him to resign. Other politicians and bureaucrats on the allottees list are feeling the heat as well.

Simpreet Singh, whose National Alliance of the People Movement filed the 10 RTI queries on Adarsh Society that blew the lid off the scam, admits that demolition would be unfair to genuine defence members. “Almost 30-35 per cent of the members are not involved in any way with the wrongdoing. They should file criminal as well as civil cases against the society,” he says.

But retired Lt Col R.K. Singh, a Kargil war hero, is not sure whether the wrong can be undone. “Can they give me back my dignity? We fought the enemy, and now, we have to fight our own government,” he says.
The next time his son discusses career plans, Singh says he will push the defence option, as usual. Only this time, the youngster has a good reason to turn down the suggestion. [/b]
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Apparently Arunachal Scouts has been created. Was this reported on BRF?
jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

[quote="ASPuar"]http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... z1CbzfS2sC

Soldier takes on dacoits on train Gang Of 30

Vishnu Shresta deserves a Kirti Chakra or an Ashok Chakra for this bravery. He has upheld the highest traditions and ideals of the Indian Army.

I am surprised that none of the national news channels have picked this up yet and made this national news. This guy should be treated as a hero of the country and made a great example of.
SriSri
BRFite

Post by SriSri »

TV news channels are run by leftist liberals. Do you really expect them to carry this news?

OTOH respects to the brave soldier. An inspiration for us all.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

merlin wrote:Apparently Arunachal Scouts has been created. Was this reported on BRF?
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=14307
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=13826
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Interesting? I chanced upon this

G.S. Bhullar vs Union Of India on 13/12/1996
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

JTull wrote:
merlin wrote:Apparently Arunachal Scouts has been created. Was this reported on BRF?
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=14307
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=13826
That's why I said on BRF and not BR :mrgreen:
SriSri
BRFite

Post by SriSri »

>> Location: NullPointerException

I'm right here. Why don't I see you? :-o
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Army is not bogged down in J&K
Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Vijay Kumar Singh tells Sridhar Kumaraswami in an exclusive interview that the Army seeks to transform itself from a threat-based force to a capability-based force. The Army chief spoke candidly on a range of issues
Q. There are reports that Pakistan is rapidly expanding its nuclear arsenal to negate the Indian Army’s superiority in conventional forces. Is this a worry?
A. No country will use nuclear weapons right away, whatever they say. I’m sure we have enough retaliatory triad available to deal with such an attack. Are they going to start a war with a nuclear strike? I don’t think so. Even if there is a strike in a particular area, we have developed a capability to move a certain force level through that. We can move through contaminated areas. If somebody throws something at you, we are capable of retaliating in equal measure.
Q. Your predecessor spoke about the ability to fight a two-front war. Can the Indian Army actually fight on two fronts simultaneously?
A. I will not call it two fronts at all. I don’t know why two fronts were emphasised. As I said, I’m looking at the capability of the Army, not looking at two fronts, three fronts or five fronts. All that I’m looking at is, how do I have an Army that is capable of dealing with any situation that arises.
Q. What is the state of military preparedness in the eastern sector in relation to China? Is India contemplating setting up a mountain strike corps in the eastern sector?
A. We are taking cognisance of the fact that there is a very large force level that they have. What steps do we take if tomorrow intentions go wrong? Those contingencies have been worked out. And there is nothing called a mountain strike corps. A strike corps is a normal corps that takes offensive action. Offensive capabilities in the mountains are required. For too long we have only been looking at being reactive. 8)
Q. Do you feel the Army has got bogged down in Jammu and Kashmir? Also, can the Army accept any dilution of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA)?
A. The Army is not bogged down in Jammu and Kashmir. It is deployed on the Line of Control and portions of the international border with Pakistan. It is deployed in areas that are covered by the anti-infiltration obstacle system. It is a very dynamic deployment.
On the issue with regard to AFSPA, all that we have said is that look here, if you are going to deploy us, we require legal protection. You can’t have a switch-on and switch-off mode. It (AFSPA) is an Act of Parliament.
Q. Do you think the Army can ever induct women officers in combat roles in the future?
A. As far as women officers are concerned, we have taken the decision that there are two streams where they can become permanent. Accordingly, Permanent Commission has been offered to them.
No Army in the world uses women in combat. They are always in support roles. We have been doing that. I’m quite sure as times go by, as societies progress, as things go differently, what shape it will take after 10 years is difficult to predict.
Nice interview dodges some bullets fired at him. :mrgreen:
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... z1DG1Zvc7g

Ashok Chakra martyr's proud family still in grief

TNN, Jan 28, 2011, 12.28am IST

IMPHAL: Sense of pride came only at cost of martyrdom, and endless grief.

Ibeyaima Devi and L Markando could not hold back tears on a day when their son, Major Laishram Jyotin Singh, was posthumously awarded Ashok Chakra the first army doctor to get the highest peacetime gallantry award.

During Republic Day celebrations in New Delhi on Wednesday, Jyotin's younger brother, Laishram Boeing Singh, received the award from President Pratibha Patil for the first time in the history of Army Medical Corps (AMC).

A resident of Nambol Awang Leikai village in Manipur's Bishnupur district, Jyotin fought and pushed out an explosives-laden Taliban terrorist who attempted to intrude inside a guesthouse in Kabul on February 26 last year. In the melee, the terrorist detonated the bomb, killing Jyotin and seven others. Thus the young army doctor saved many persons living inside the building. At least 17 people died in the string of attacks in the Afghan capital. "We are so proud of my late younger brother to be conferred with the highest peacetime gallantry award. He will never come back to us. Still, we are so pained at his untimely demise," said Meenakumari Devi, Jyotin's eldest sister.

"My mother is now a dejected person with her sorrow deepening at the news of Jyotin's honour. Nevertheless, my weak mother is proud to have a brave son who died a heroic death," said his another sister, Binakumari, a doctor with state-run Churachandpur district hospital.

After completing his MBBS degree from Regional Institute of Medical Sciences, Imphal, and postgraduate in sports medicine from Patiala, Jyotin (38) joined the Army in AMC about eight years ago. Boieng, an assistant professor in civil engineering in IIT Guwahati, on behalf of his family, received the award, a medal and a scroll from the President. "Like all his family members, I'm so proud to have a brave brother and at the same time my heart is heavy with grief and sorrow," Boieng (35) told TOI from Guwahati over phone on Thursday morning.

Meenakumari said they have plans to set up a memorial of his younger brother to be implemented only after their weak parents overcome the sorrow. The bereaved mother, who would never see her son getting married and lead a happy life as she used to wish, is yet to forgive the attackers
Raghavendra
BRFite

Post by Raghavendra »

Indian Army has two new mountain divisions in northeast http://www.sify.com/news/indian-army-ha ... iieaj.html