India-US Strategic News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
negi
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Post by negi »

GuruPrabhu wrote: Boss, if you are on a student visa and you are not attending classes, you are violating the terms of your visa. Period. If you falsify your address, youa re violating the law, Period.
Well that is one side of the argument, what happens when the Uty in question sanctions OPT from first year itself and this when F-1 was provided based on I-20 issued by the Uty ? Point being the students have a genuine case specially those who haven't falsified their personal information.
You may know more about the case than I do, so please indicate whether these allegations are false.
I do not and hence I won't tag all of them as 'criminals'.
My guess is that they were not duped but were willing accomplices. I may be wrong so please correct me with facts.
Wow , just wow.
GuruPrabhu
BRFite

Post by GuruPrabhu »

negi wrote:
GuruPrabhu wrote: My guess is that they were not duped but were willing accomplices. I may be wrong so please correct me with facts.
Wow , just wow.
I likes your facts :lol:

Boss, issuing an I-20 is where the "university" is a criminal. That is just one step. When a student applies for a visa, he/she accepts the rules and regulations that accompany it. When the student enters the US, he/she is subject to an overarching legal framework. In fact, the broader law (and I found this out only when it was too late) is that the student agrees to abide by *all* laws of the US when on US soil.

Let us say that the students were all totally unaware of what they had signed. But yet, ignorance of the law is not a defense for breaking the law! This is legal 101. Look it up.

So, what exactly is the students' defense for not attending classes? What is their defense for giving a false address in Pleasanton, CA while living in some other state?

Were they thinking "chalta hai", or what?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

India should similarly summon the US ambassador and his staff and "collar" them too! The collar to be removed once their terms in India are over.I am sure that within minutes the collars will be removed form Indian students.But, our MEA mandarins and minister are only hot-air manufacturers,who release copious amounts of gas from their orifices at either end,signifying nothing.The US continues its insults to Indians,the Chinese continue their encroachment of Indian territory and active support for our Naxals and insurgents, and the Pakis their unabated terrorism against us.Do we really need such an impotent bunch of gasbags?
Aryavarta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Aryavarta »

GuruPrabhu wrote: Boss, if you are on a student visa and you are not attending classes, you are violating the terms of your visa. Period. If you falsify your address, youa re violating the law, Period.

You may know more about the case than I do, so please indicate whether these allegations are false.

My guess is that they were not duped but were willing accomplices. I may be wrong so please correct me with facts.
There is a concept of CPT/OPT (Curricular/Optional Practical Training). You are allowed to work/intern at different companies including client locations in this period. You don't have to take any classes in this period. Nothing illegal about this. While most universities provide CPT only after 6-9 months of regular classes, I have heard that this university provided CPT from day one. I don't see anything wrong in the students opting for that option.

Of course one could say, come to US on F1, not take any courses, start working on CPT and hope that some company sponsors his H1 or flout this rule in any other manner; To me it points to a loophole in the university policies and lax in auditing by the government/uscis. Certainly should not lead to the student getting dog tagged.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Philip wrote:India should similarly summon the US ambassador and his staff and "collar" them too! The collar to be removed once their terms in India are over.
The collars should also have speech recognition built in so that when any Kashmiri accents are detected nearby, the collars should produce electrical shocks to the wearer!
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Then I suggest that the "collars" be fitted more discreetly ,inside the inndividuals clothing,but in the "nether" regions were the effect would be electrifying to say the least!
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Aryavarta wrote:

There is a concept of CPT/OPT (Curricular/Optional Practical Training). You are allowed to work/intern at different companies including client locations in this period. You don't have to take any classes in this period. Nothing illegal about this. While most universities provide CPT only after 6-9 months of regular classes, I have heard that this university provided CPT from day one. I don't see anything wrong in the students opting for that option.

Of course one could say, come to US on F1, not take any courses, start working on CPT and hope that some company sponsors his H1 or flout this rule in any other manner; To me it points to a loophole in the university policies and lax in auditing by the government/uscis. Certainly should not lead to the student getting dog tagged.
If memory serves, (and I cannot be sure here), the OPT cannot be done off-campus the first year. So this would be a pretty thin defense.

Also, are we assuming that these are neck collars when they might be ankle collars (hidden by trousers) ?
Charlie
BRFite

Post by Charlie »

If memory serves, (and I cannot be sure here), the OPT cannot be done off-campus the first year. So this would be a pretty thin defense.

Also, are we assuming that these are neck collars when they might be ankle collars (hidden by trousers) ?

Most of the students who join these SHAM universities are people who couldnot get their H1 B's processed for various reasons and are at the end of their OPT periods. These students have genuine engineering degrees from other universities.
Aryavarta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Aryavarta »

cleaned on Ramanaji's request
Last edited by Aryavarta on 31 Jan 2011 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Are we discussing the Indo-US Strategic News and Discussions or are we discussing the mechanics of student visa issues/troubles? If the later then there are many threads in Tech forum and GDF for this.
Aryavarta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Aryavarta »

ramana wrote:Are we discussing the Indo-US Strategic News and Discussions or are we discussing the mechanics of student visa issues/troubles? If the later then there are many threads in Tech forum and GDF for this.
My response Ramanaji was to the subtle allegation that this episode of getting tagged was self-inflicted. Whereas I believe this was used to send strong message to the community. Organizations and practices like these are ignored and even allowed to prosper when there is a shortage of talent/workers. In times of recession they start cracking down. The students caught are most likely unfortunate to be under those circumstances at the given time. I believe the Indian community and government should stand up for them.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Tribune picture of the monitor

MEA is taking the stance its unacceptable even if its standard practice in US.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Maybe MEA would rather that they are all put into judicial custody/prison along with other undertrials while the case is taken care of? They just can't pack everyone on a plane and send them back to India in a day. All due processes need to be followed.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Was talking to some people over the weekend. The opinion was that this incident is one of making a political point over a domestic issue. Since 2008, proponents have been arguing in favour of easier jobs and visas for foreigners with graduate degrees. So fake university was set up to make the case against this.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

putnanja wrote:Maybe MEA would rather that they are all put into judicial custody/prison along with other undertrials while the case is taken care of? They just can't pack everyone on a plane and send them back to India in a day. All due processes need to be followed.
And you are right. If you enter the US legally, then you must have due process in deportation. If you entered illegally and you're caught, you get deported right away. If you're legal, you spend anywhere between 30 days to 6 months in ICE. I know one Brit family whose son (green card) got caught selling drugs. He was put in prison for 2 years and then is facing deportation. However, since he was legal, he faced up to six months in ICE. So far he's put in two months in ICE and is awaiting a hearing in 10 days to see if expeditious deportation might violate his rights. He wants to be deported right away back to the UK and is being delayed because of due process.

If you think that's crazy, I know another person whose same sex partner (illegal) got caught and was deported within 4 days back to South America when he did not want to go back.

As to whether collars are racist and so forth, a little light:

John Rowland, the former governor of Connecticut who did more than few things criminal was sentenced, served time in jail and then had to wear the 'collar'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_G._Rowland

"On February 10, 2006, Rowland was released from federal prison with the stipulation that he serve four months house arrest with an electronic ankle bracelet monitor."

Whatever one might say, the US is not a VIP culture nor does it go out of its way to target Indian students or any others. They go by the book and even Ted Kennedy used to get patted down and questioned when he boarded the NYC-DC shuttle because his name appeared on the TSA list. Stupid yes but discriminatory no.

I take Ramana's point about drifting into the mechanics of immigration laws but this was worth clarifying because we need to have a clear view of how the US works.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Cosmo_R wrote:John Rowland, the former governor of Connecticut who did more than few things criminal was sentenced, served time in jail and then had to wear the 'collar'
I assume the point was totally lost on you wasn't it.

==============================================

A group of immigrants who entered US legally through a legal VISA are being persecuted because the US university was a con job?

Yes it does tell a lot about US system. I personally understand it very well. I hope more Indians understand it.
GuruPrabhu
BRFite

Post by GuruPrabhu »

Perhaps US should learn from India. All forms of Pakis enter India *legally* to watch cricket matches and then stay back and no problem ... chalta hai onlee. If only US could learn from Bangladeshi experience in India, the world would be a better place, na?
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

A group of immigrants who entered US legally through a legal VISA are being persecuted because the US university was a con job?
I thought that at least some of them were not meeting their visa requirements of being full time students, and hence breaking the law? I am just pointing out that it is not the case that they are arresting the victim here, at least for some of them.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Tanaji wrote:
I thought that at least some of them were not meeting their visa requirements of being full time students, and hence breaking the law? I am just pointing out that it is not the case that they are arresting the victim here, at least for some of them.
It may be that some students did indeed break a minor law or two (yups minor), but

1) Were the students informed by the University? Considering the Univ was sham and operating in US, isnt the moral responsibility of US to treat its paying guests well and apologize to them for the hardships and let them return to India or allow to stay in US peacefully till the matter is sorted out if the law allows for that?

2) Is there sufficient grounds for detention by the state of immigrants in this case? Because this is detention.

The question is not merely rules, by the barbarity of the rules and whether the rules are being interpreted little too liberally or not.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Sanku wrote:
Cosmo_R wrote:John Rowland, the former governor of Connecticut who did more than few things criminal was sentenced, served time in jail and then had to wear the 'collar'
I assume the point was totally lost on you wasn't it.

==============================================

Yes it does tell a lot about US system. I personally understand it very well. I hope more Indians understand it.
I think you assume wrong. The point is that Indian students or any others are not being singled out for ankle collars. White men even politicians, are subject to the same laws.

Anyone who enters the US legally is entitled to due process. This is a must. If the students could prove they had not broken the immigration laws—meaning they had documents in order, they would be free to go.

If they could not produce valid documents, the laws require ICE to ensure that they do not 'disappear'. In practice, this means put them in jail or put tracking collars in lieu of bail (expensive). They are being 'prosecuted' not 'persecuted'.

What you have to (optional) understand is that it's not discretionary. The ICE officers (not a nice bunch) have no authority to decide. It's not a question of 'minor' or 'major' infringement.

Granted, we don't know all the details. That means we cannot assume anything including whether the students were duped or whether they were accomplices in some sort of H1B scam as Charlie ^^^ posted.

As to more Indians understanding how the US works, I think most do: from the couple of million of of us here, the millions more of us who have come here and gone back to India, and even more millions of us who want to come here. All of us understand that it is a nation of laws that are applied fairly 99% of the time and in the remaining in stance—redress and usually monetary compensation.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Cosmo_R wrote: I think you assume wrong.
I assumed what?
The point is that Indian students or any others are not being singled out for ankle collars. White men even politicians, are subject to the same laws.
When was the last time a white man had to wear a ankle collar because his contact in US was running a fraud on him?
If the students could prove they had not broken the immigration laws—meaning they had documents in order, they would be free to go.
Their documents are obviously not in order, how could it, the documents involved a fraud univ. However the fraud univ was running in US and Indians did not run the fraud univ. Merely joined it.
If they could not produce valid documents, the laws require ICE to ensure that they do not 'disappear'. In practice, this means put them in jail or put tracking collars in lieu of bail (expensive). They are being 'prosecuted' not 'persecuted'.
I see you are quite comfortable with how the concept is put into practice, which is fine, however as Indians if they are not fine with it, their wishes should be respected. You are after all not talking about fence hoppers, these people gave good money (from India I might add) to buy services in US.

This is like putting your customers in jail because your desk clerk was quietly taking a cut without informing the customer.
What you have to (optional) understand is that it's not discretionary. The ICE officers (not a nice bunch) have no authority to decide. It's not a question of 'minor' or 'major' infringement.
Certainly, they should follow the law of ensuring that if the students are guilty proper punishment should be handed out. The question is, how civilized are their practices in treating, what are effectively customers of US at the moment.
Granted, we don't know all the details. That means we cannot assume anything including whether the students were duped or whether they were accomplices in some sort of H1B scam as Charlie ^^^ posted.
Sure, and I think tagging people before such details are also presented in public domain is grossly uncivilized.
All of us understand that it is a nation of laws that are applied fairly 99% of the time
I am sorry, I am under no such illusions. There is no shortage of people who were incorrectly incarcerated, and Dick Cheny's who run around free after shooting people.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Would these ankle collars have been applied to students had they been whites from Europe? The US is a nation of laws, but enforcement at the federal, state and local levels has historically been subjective. My guess is that an attractive blond girl from Poland, assuming she was in a similar situation (this is not unreasonable as immigration fraud with eastern Europeans has happened), would get an ankle collar?
Last edited by Mort Walker on 01 Feb 2011 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ yes i believe they would
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Lalmohan wrote:^^^ yes i believe they would
Well so far that has never happened though hasn't it.
Sanatanan
BRFite

Post by Sanatanan »

So far, in the Indian TV channels, I have not seen any cogent information as to what the Indian students of the Tri Valley University did that they must all be treated as having committed crime and therefore liable to be put in prison. Surely there are other ways of restricting movements (perhaps such as for example, taking possession of passport/visas) of a person while investigations about him/her are going on. Pending investigation, are all witnesses put in prison, in the US as suggested by Ms Wur? In my opinion, her comment about Indian women wearing silver anklets and comparing it with the radio tag was totally uncalled for.

Will Indian Govt. consider taking following actions? Not likely, but one can always vent anger!!

1) Ms Juliet Wur, the official of the US Consulate (Hyderabad?) who made the unfortunate comment regarding the radio tags on Indian students being a fashion statement, should be asked to leave India. Just an apology from the lady will not do.

2) India must ask US Citizens (if any) in the IAEA "Safeguards Inspection" team, coming to India for safeguards inspection of Indian npps, to wear similar shackles during thier stay in India.

3) India must ask all American businessmen who come to India selling their nuclear plants or technologies to wear similar shackles while they are India. India should refuse to do business with them unless they agree to wear such manacles.

4) Similar action could be taken for US Citizens coming to India for NGO-work.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

^ good proposal.

They should start with point 4 as it is a concern of individuals' security given Graham Stain's episode and the NGOs are suspected to be involved in religious conversions. After all India is sekkular onlee.

Followed by point 1, 2 and 3.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

No. Not if they are white students without any felony records.

Folks here are arguing about who is a criminal and who is a student, as if goradom cares a crap about our judgement on those matters. What does that make anyone of us who is "in status" feel? Like the owner of an Apollo-size mijjile, because of a superficial feeling of secureness? Let us take another case, Osho Rajaneesh got deported not because he scared the beejees out of televangelists with his "religion + fun" remix, but because he was "out of state" for three days on a student visa renewal. And he had 93 fricking Rolls Royce to hand out to the best lawyers. What do a lot of Indians judging here have in such a situation, when an official does not like them and decides to dig such small, but "very legal and righteous" stuff?

Goradom will do what they always did for people of lesser color - deny rights. It is only in the degree of such affection shown, that differs from US to Australia.

Anyways, these are friggin Indians we are talking about. Indians whose mothers are worried back in India. Doesnt that bother anyone? Or is it that once a migrant leaves our shore..... "f**k them" if they want help?

Take a leaf out of Mexico's page and work up the liberal crowd. Stand solidly behind these Indians and trash the system that allows US based fatcats to exploit Indian students for a lot of money. Stick to a neutral topic - keep hitting at the so-called "superb educational system" that allows such universities to exist, while at the same time, treating students as felons.

Facebook this story with something like "We have to go a long way, US educational regulators need reforms"
Last edited by hnair on 01 Feb 2011 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
Abhi_G
BRFite

Post by Abhi_G »

Ok, I wonder if the "madame" Susan Su has been arrested or not?

If she has committed fraud in connivance with unkil babus, should not she be the first one to be arrested? Or has she already got anticipatory bail? No surprises why the media is mum about her except the raids and clearly trying to deflect the focus to the gullible and possibly not so gullible (for political correctness...we have to be righteous onlee no?) students.
Sanatanan
BRFite

Post by Sanatanan »

From Hindustan Times, quoting PTI, Washington, February 01, 2011:
Fraud US univ piles blame on Indian-origin staffer
As radio-tagging of scores of Indian students duped by a "sham" US university continues to cause anger back home, the controversial institute has claimed that one of its Indian-origin staff was responsible for the immigration fraud and it was not directly involved in it. Breaking its silence, the California-based Tri Valley University (TVU), which was shut down last month, termed as "baseless" the allegations of immigration fraud against the institute and claimed that it had not duped any student.

. . .
Shameless blame game!!
Abhi_G
BRFite

Post by Abhi_G »

^^^
I was not surprised and in fact this was coming. Nothing shameless about it...it ijjj a jushtt a cobher for unmenshunables oph corrupt unkil babooz and Sujaan.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

A good lesson must be learned by India's wannabe RANDEs, IMHO. That the RANDEs are nurtured only as long as they hurt Indian Interests and are not welcome to west.
Abhi_G
BRFite

Post by Abhi_G »

On Susan...let us see how she is dealt with.

http://dailypioneer.com/313593/Indian-s ... fraud.html
“Since 9/11, one of the areas that we as a Government have strengthened is the tracking, so that if you come here on a student visa, you have to check in and you have to go to school. That is a requirement of that programme,” Crowley said.

Citing federal documents, Danville Express, a California-based online newspaper, reported that Su, the founder of Tri-Valley University and owner of two homes in Pleasanton, has been charged with money laundering, mail fraud and wire fraud.

The university, now shut down following the raids, apparently operated out of a small, two-storey building in Pleasanton. Su’s two houses were also raided.

“Since its inception, Tri-Valley University has been a sham university, which Su, and others, have used to facilitate foreign nationals in illegally acquiring student immigration status that authorises them to remain in the United States,” a complaint filed by the US Attorney’s Office said.

Accusing her of making false statements and misrepresentations in petitions to the Department of Homeland Security wow!!! this is possible !!!to obtain student visas, the complaint said: “Su and Tri-Valley University have made millions of dollars in tuition fees for issuing these visa related documents which enable foreign nationals (to) obtain illegal student immigrant status.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Fraud US univ piles blame on Indian-origin staffer
"Starting in April, one of student assistants Anji Reddy, who worked in TVU administrative office, teamed with another student Ram Krista Karra, who also has a consultant company, conducting a large cheating scheme by asking students to make tuition payment into Ram Krista Karra's personal account in exchange for student I-20 and CPT approval. TVU has fired these two individuals," the e-mail said.

The complaint against TVU before the ICE was made by these two, Su claimed.
TVU charged same fee with qualified international students as it did with US students to register in its classes and study its material, she said.

Accusing the ICE of levying false charges against her university, Su said it was a "sham" claim and added that it was Reddy who cheated the students and charged money for I-20 and CPT approvals.

The federal authorities should apologise for such a "serious" mistake, "repay for the damage done to the University and the founder Dr Susan Su's name and reputation," the e-mail said.
According to the email, TVU signed a contract with ABS that they will receive 20 per cent of each international student's tuition fee as the referral fee, and their responsibility would include recruiting, referring students, VISA interview consultant, status change consultant, reinstatement consultant as well as airport pickup and accommodation.
No wonder majority of the students are from AP.
Abhi_G
BRFite

Post by Abhi_G »

So susan says reddy and karra are frauds. And all this while she was sleeping?

reddy and karra say susan is the fraudster. so reddy et al issued the I-20s?? wow!!!

The students are the victims and that is the point. Their mistake was to take shortcut. Media is giving spins to victimize the victims further to cover the unmentionables.
Last edited by Abhi_G on 01 Feb 2011 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Sanku wrote:
Well so far that has never happened though hasn't it.
several brit bankers were arrested and put in chains and deported to the US and put in orange suits etc., to be prosecuted for alleged fraud a couple of years ago

i've also read of white european immigration cases who were similarly treated
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I think folks are getting parochial and taking India's local prejudices abroad. Once the people leave the shores they are Indians not from one state or the other.

MEA S.M. Krishna took a stance and he felt he needed to.

The DDM from TOI onwards are pushing stories that support the US.

If MEA felt there was a need to take up the situation there must be some reasons. We dont know yet. Could be related to bogus HR allegations from high and mighty US.

BTW the collars might be cheap and high tech and appeal to techies but they are no different than the slave collars in the past and yellow cards during Nazi times.
Abhi_G
BRFite

Post by Abhi_G »

ramana wrote:I think folks are getting parochial and taking India's local prejudices abroad. Once the people leave the shores they are Indians not from one state or the other.
Ramana, we are always extremely adept in scoring self goals.... :(
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Times Now with Arnab has a panel running on his show, he is interviewing relatives of the victims. He is really taking GoI and GoTUS apart. Watch for it when it is put up on the web site.

http://www.timesnow.tv/The-Newshour/vid ... 310636.cms

Meanwhile the stories on Times Now. And others clips there.

http://www.timesnow.tv/videoshow/4364180.cms

Very heart rending.

====================

I love Arnab, hats off.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Talk of 'Goradom' and "Last time white man etc.' notwithstanding, here Rajghatta's take in TOI:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 393658.cms

Some points:

1. "...Tri-Valley University (TVU) had a reputation as a "Diploma Mill" that offered a spurious route to employment and immigration in the US. Inquiring students and professionals knew about it, discussed it in immigration forums, and warned others about it.

2. But eager beavers looking for a short cut to emigrating to the US through a questionable academic route ignored the red flags.

3. Typically, in recognized, well-regarded universities, all students must be enrolled as full-time students for a year before receiving CPT/OPT. For the hundreds of thousands of Indian students who have eventually become US citizens, OPT and CPT are the first steps to employment--based visa (usually H1-B), Green Card, and citizenship, in that order.

TVU and similar schools had a "well-earned" reputation of shortening the process by offering OPT/CPT from day one – which meant "students" could get on the employment track even as they began "college."

4. On January 19, after raiding TVU, getting student records from the school, and shutting it down, immigration officials began knocking on the doors of TVU students across the country or serving NTAs (notice to appear) asking them to get in touch with the local office. In some cases, officials merely made preliminary inquiries. In others, students were interrogated for up to three hours. Some had their passports taken away, if they declined voluntary departure. And in rare cases, where officials found egregious violation of visa terms or questionable visas, students were shackled with electronic monitoring devices till further inquiries."

Majority at TVU are Indian and 95% are from one state. You'd have to really clueless to be duped after all this staring you in the face as a prospective student.

But hey!, these are just inconvenient facts dug up by that muckraker ToI's Chidu.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Cosmo_R wrote:Majority at TVU are Indian and 95% are from one state. You'd have to really clueless to be duped after all this staring you in the face as a prospective student.

But hey!, these are just inconvenient facts dug up by that muckraker ToI's Chidu.
And if you point that out, you are called parochial. Doesn't matter if people from that state have a history of trying to get to US by any means, legal or illegal.

While everyone is complaining about the radio collar, I am yet to hear one person give a sensible alternative on what the US should have done. How will the government ensure that all these students won't disappear to some other place and continue living illegally in US, if it is found that they were in fact aware of the diploma mill reputation of the university?

I guess if the US had just put these students in an immigration detention center, then people wouldn't have got so offended.