Indian Military Aviation

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Military Aviation

Post by nachiket »

Kartik it seems to work for me...
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Kartik wrote:
andy B wrote:Slightly old articles in AFM and Air Intl on Indian Migs and other Russ a/c in service

http://ifile.it/9djsxk4/Mig%20Artilcle% ... tional.rar
http://ifile.it/n5fo9hm/Mig%20Article%202%20AFM.rar
could you fix the link on the first rar file please ?
Kartik, link seems to be working boss I just checked it. Let me know if it doesnt and I will upload again. :wink:
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Jagan wrote:The recent January issue of AFM has two tidbits of our interest. It has some reports on DACT between NATO aircraft vs MiG-29s.

In the first - A Sea Harrier FA2 pilot writes about his combat with a Sardinian MiG-29. HIs observes that he got the first MRAAM shot off at midrange - the MiG-29 pilot was either inexperienced or didnt care about it (in practice the Harrier pilot claims 'first kill with the MRAAM shot'). Then the fighters merge. in the turning fight, the Harrier can pull only about 6.5g or so, the MiG pilot pulls 9G. Though the turning fight means the MiG-29 pilot cannot achieve a short range AAM kill , he closes in and 'guns' the harrier down :D

In the second - a Bulgarian MiG-29 pilot writes that ina close in turning dog fight, the only difference between an experienced and inexperienced pilot of an F-16 (the recent versions) is how long it will take before the MiG-29 is on the F-16's 'six' .. They do say that the latest Short range AAMs carried bythe F-16s give them an edge..

Both do say that the MiG-29s could be spotted as far away as 10m or so due to the smoky engines.

I have scanned the above one, and found a couple other interesting Mig vs TFTA Khan phighters....

Mig 29 vs Viper
http://ifile.it/w7hobvt/MIG%20VS%20VIPER.zip
Fighting the Kalashnikov Mig 21 in Bulgaria
http://ifile.it/xdy063h/FIGHTING%20THE% ... LGARIA.zip
Fighting the Fulcrum
http://ifile.it/i0tlbcz/FIGHTING%20THE%20FULCRUM.zip
What makes a great fighter
http://ifile.it/cpjv5os/WHAT%20MAKES%20 ... IGHTER.zip
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

Any news on the HJT-36 Sitara front? When is the aircraft expected to get its IOC? How many test flights have been completed with the new Al-55I engine?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

IOC is expected June 2011. our AI visitors will surely get more details or journos might themselves get it.
Baldev
BRFite

Post by Baldev »

1 billion for 6 a330 refuellers is not costly when looking at the price tag of 6 c130j
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Singha wrote:IOC is expected June 2011. our AI visitors will surely get more details or journos might themselves get it.
So are you visiting in stealth mode like always?
rajghosh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rajghosh »

Hi Guys,
This is my first post in BRF, although I've been lurking here for quite a few years. I wanted to ask some of the experts here about the prospects of starting a UAV company in India. I am an MIT grad, and have been thinking of returning to India to start my own UAV company. However, I have been out of country for seven years now, and don't know the situation on the ground. Is it a good idea to try this venture?
Best.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

andy B wrote:
Kartik wrote:quote="andy B" Slightly old articles in AFM and Air Intl on Indian Migs and other Russ a/c in service

http://ifile.it/9djsxk4/Mig%20Artilcle% ... tional.rar
http://ifile.it/n5fo9hm/Mig%20Article%2 ... .rar/quote

could you fix the link on the first rar file please ?
Kartik, link seems to be working boss I just checked it. Let me know if it doesnt and I will upload again. :wink:
The first link only goes to http://ifile.it/9djsxk4/Mig%20Artilcle because everything after is truncated.

Can you post the links using the [url=""] tag?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

rajghosh wrote:Hi Guys,
This is my first post in BRF, although I've been lurking here for quite a few years. I wanted to ask some of the experts here about the prospects of starting a UAV company in India. I am an MIT grad, and have been thinking of returning to India to start my own UAV company. However, I have been out of country for seven years now, and don't know the situation on the ground. Is it a good idea to try this venture?
Best.
The brother of a close friend of mine already runs a UAV company in Bangalore - and I am guessing that there will be a great need for UAVs in India - but the competition will be intense. But heck India is a huge country and I can think of no town or city that will not need UAVs for something or the other - from crop/crowd surveillance to traffic management.
rajghosh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rajghosh »

shiv wrote: The brother of a close friend of mine already runs a UAV company in Bangalore - and I am guessing that there will be a great need for UAVs in India - but the competition will be intense. But heck India is a huge country and I can think of no town or city that will not need UAVs for something or the other - from crop/crowd surveillance to traffic management.
Thank you for your quick response. What kind of UAVs does he design? Also has he been able to get any orders yet? I would really appreciate it if you could somehow get me in touch with him.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

rajghosh wrote:
shiv wrote: The brother of a close friend of mine already runs a UAV company in Bangalore - and I am guessing that there will be a great need for UAVs in India - but the competition will be intense. But heck India is a huge country and I can think of no town or city that will not need UAVs for something or the other - from crop/crowd surveillance to traffic management.
Thank you for your quick response. What kind of UAVs does he design? Also has he been able to get any orders yet? I would really appreciate it if you could somehow get me in touch with him.
I think his company has a website - will get back on here. Need to email my friend.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

Twice a fighter was spewing white smoke from wingtips over SRR, was it LCA or IJT? couldn't catch from a distance
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

i hope IJT remains only in static display this time in Aero , some what IJT and Aero India don't have best best kundali match :rotfl:
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

~post shaheedized~
Last edited by nachiket on 03 Feb 2011 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Some photos of LCA with smokewinders at the Tarmak007 site. Click on link below to view the images

Tejas aerobatic display with smokewinders @ Aero India
Here are the snapshots of India's Tejas flying with smokewinders ahead of Aero India. The first flight with smokewinders integrated was flown in Bangalore on Feb 2. Military sources tell Tarmak007 that two Tejas platforms (PV-2 & PV-3) will be demonstrating aerobatics on all 5 days of the show. On the first day, during the inaugural fly-past event, a Tejas formation (likely 5) will be the icing on the cake. Starting today, Tarmak007 will bring to you more exciting stories of India@Aero India.
sankum
BRFite

Post by sankum »

adarshp
BRFite -Trainee

Post by adarshp »

^^music to the ears^^

Measure of how to build competence in a field incrementally. And the only way to ensure sustainability is marrying it to an economic venture. Way to go...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I saw a Kiran take off from Hal yesterday - silver body with yellow stripe. no idea why kirans visit here, maybe for some overhaul.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Singha wrote:I saw a Kiran take off from Hal yesterday - silver body with yellow stripe. no idea why kirans visit here, maybe for some overhaul.
It is quite normal for HAL type institutions to use such planes to try a few things out.

Next time see if you can be more specific about the Kiran that visits. I suspect only a few would visit. For "overhaul" they should visit Nagpur?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Singha wrote:I saw a Kiran take off from Hal yesterday - silver body with yellow stripe. no idea why kirans visit here, maybe for some overhaul.
It's been around for a while - I saw it a couple of weeks ago.
ManuJ
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ManuJ »

Has some good info worth quoting -
Ecuador, which bought 7 Dhruvs in an internationally tendered competition, is so pleased with the product that it is exploring the purchase of more. On a visit to the Dhruv assembly hangar, Business Standard witnessed the finishing touches being given to a Dhruv for the Ecuador Air Force, which is buying a replacement for one of the Dhruvs that crashed due to a pilot’s error.
We are ramping up the production of Dhruvs to cater for the growing demand from the military, the paramilitary forces, and state governments. There is also overseas interest from the Indonesian and Malaysian armed forces”, reveals Ashok Nayak, HAL’s Chairman and Managing Director. “But our main focus is India’s military. This year, we will give them 25 Dhruvs; and, from next year onwards, we will hand over 36 Dhruvs each year. Orders from other customers will be delivered over and above this basic production.
Designed to allow two pilots to hover above a helipad at 20,000 feet, carrying 200 kilogrammes of payload, a Dhruv helicopter powered by the Shakti engine exceeded that requirement handily during tests last summer. At the Indian Army’s 21,000 foot high Sonam Post, astride the Siachen Glacier, the test helicopter hovered with a payload of 600 kilogrammes.
Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Post by Juggi G »

Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Post by Juggi G »

Juggi G
BRFite

Post by Juggi G »

Vivs
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vivs »

Couldn't stop the nitpick...but the incident in March 2006 can't be 'again' after 2008 or 2009 incidents.

Nevertheless, it's sad to see the team disbanded and not see the tricolor in the sky for some time.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Another Air Force helicopter crashes in MP
Sheopur/MP, Feb 4: Once again an Indian Air Force Helicopter crash hit the nation and this time the accident took place in Madhya Pradesh on Friday, Feb 4.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Sheopur/MP, Feb 4: Once again an Indian Air Force Helicopter crash hit the nation and this time the accident took place in Madhya Pradesh on Friday, Feb 4. An IAF MiG-21 'Bison' fighter aircraft crashed in Anupnagar district in Madhya Pradesh. However, the pilot has ejected safely.
They are saying its a helicopter, in the next line they say its a Mig 21, while the pic is of a white helicopter, most probably a Mi 17 :shock:
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
I am not really sure, but I think the picture in the report is from a previous Mi-17 crash. So, I really hope that the ddm just got mixed up with Mig-21 accident and there was not another helicopter crash.

Regarding Dhruv's induction, that has nothing to do with Mi-17 (though even now I am not sure whether one has crashed today) as they are of two totally different classes.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

The C-130J is here.
Pics and video via Livefist

Now, this plane came without the IFR probe! When will that be fixed? And who will fix it?
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

In regards to the c 130 pic the first one is also not sporting the optical sensor n flir turret (MX 15?) you can see the round fitting underneath the nose.....
Baldev
BRFite

Post by Baldev »

Ajatshatru wrote:More or less, the same news also reported by rediff....

'Russia tests upgraded MiG-29 fighter for IAF'

http://www.rediff.com/news/slide-show/s ... 110205.htm
mig27 aircraft are newer aircrafts compared to mig29 and mig29 to be fitted with new engines and jaguars too(new engines for mirage2000 ??) but for some reason new engines were not in the list for mig27 despite producing al31 locally :roll:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

another bis lost, first one this year 2011. During 2010, half a squadron of Mig (27,21s) planes crashed besides 3 helos (courtesy the hindu). :cry:
venku_Raj
BRFite -Trainee

Post by venku_Raj »

Russia test flights upgraded IAF’s MiG-29UPG fighter jet
SOURCE : IANS/RIA Novosti

Russia’s MiG corporation Friday carried out the first test fight of a MiG-29 fighter modernized under a contract with the Indian Air Force (IAF).’On Feb 4, a MiG-29UPG fighter carried out its first test flight. The flight lasted for an hour and was flawless,’ MiG said in a statement.

The IAF has awarded the MiG corporation a $900 million contract to upgrade all of its 69 operational MiG-29s.

These upgrades include a new avionics kit, with the N-109 radar being replaced by a Phazatron Zhuk-M radar.

The aircraft is also being equipped to enhance beyond-visual-range combat ability and for air-to-air refueling to increase flying time.

In 2007, Russia also gave India’s Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) a license to manufacture 120 RD-33 series three turbojet engines for the upgrade.

The first six aircraft are being upgraded in Russia while the remaining 63 will be refitted at the HAL facility in India.
link
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

maybe the delicate stuff like optronic kit if any would be fitted here in india than risk it during a long ferry flight across the world? even the maws(?) bulges do not seem fitted around the top and side of nose...looking at MC130 pix.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

indranilroy wrote:The C-130J is here.
Pics and video via Livefist
From The video @ 5.10

Squadron No. 77 Veiled Vipers
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

a dulhan wearing a veil but with the face of a gaboon viper inside just peeking out would make a nice sqdn logo.