Indian Military Aviation

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Re: Indian Military Aviation

Post by Juggi G »

77 Squadron The Veiled Vipers :D

Optical Sensor & FLIR Turret is there on the Display Model

Photos Courtesy Sony Ericsson mobile phone & Shiv Aroor
Last edited by Juggi G on 05 Feb 2011 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Uggggg. they should have called it Platypus.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

This explains how Russia have enough to be happy about despite being out of the mmrca race.. We are going to have the Mig-35's after all :D
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

that viper has the biggest fangs I ever seen....almost like walrus tusks.
Baldev
BRFite

Post by Baldev »

Singha wrote:in stuff like tankers, LRMP, tactical and strategic transports, UAV, PGMs, optronic pods, WLRs they have fallen way behind and are essentially using mid 1980s stuff. once they have products competitive with those on offer from the west, they will automatically become serious players again for the areas they have "lost" now.
MRTA will/may have upgraded engine PD-14.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviadvigatel_PD-14
http://www.avid.ru/eng/advanced-develop ... ional_Jet/
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Just saw a news report on India TV (in Hindi) on the C-130 Induction

1: The largest US built transport plane
2. This plane has two engines.
:((

BTW the pilot does a sharp take off at an AoA of like 70 degrees, goes up like a 200-300 ft and then tapers off.
Also demonstrates Very short landing.

Looked quite impressive.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Singha wrote:that viper has the biggest fangs I ever seen....almost like walrus tusks.
Here's a photo of viper fangs
Drishyaman
BRFite

Post by Drishyaman »

Gagan wrote:news report on India TV (in Hindi) on the C-130 Induction

2. This plane has two engines.
take off at an AoA of like 70 degrees
:rotfl: India TV is a good entertainment channel, please, don't see news on that.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

IAF statement:

IAF Inducts First of the C-130J Super Hercules

The IAF aircraft will make its debut appearance at the Aero India-2011, at Bengaluru, from February 9-13.
Anoop. A.
BRFite

Post by Anoop. A. »

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QKkSf03VuFY/T ... C02755.JPG
If you look closely, you can see that the tail number KC-3802 has been photoshoped on to the picture. The aircraft KC-3802 does not have a refuelling probe (Curious as to the reason????). The C130J in the picture is KC-3801.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I had a seen a stuffed gaboon viper in a museum once. definitely a shivering dhoti moment.

the pic must have been supplied directly by the vendor...
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

IAF Inducts C-130J-30 Super Hercules Aircraft

http://defenceforumindia.com/showthread ... post233727

You can see inside of the cockpit in these pictures.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

James B wrote:IAF Inducts C-130J-30 Super Hercules Aircraft

http://defenceforumindia.com/showthread ... post233727

You can see inside of the cockpit in these pictures.
The site gives me a security warning.. :shock:
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

check tarmak007 for neat pictures of the induction ceremony

http://tarmak007.blogspot.com/
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

The seawasp mk engines were ready long back, wonder why the 29 upgrades did not carry these blisked 4-6k hour mtbf engines? A zhuk ae would have been awesome (they were ready too).
Baldev
BRFite

Post by Baldev »

SaiK wrote:The seawasp mk engines were ready long back, wonder why the 29 upgrades did not carry these blisked 4-6k hour mtbf engines? A zhuk ae would have been awesome (they were ready too).
you know life of mig29 would be 1500 or say 1700 hours left so using mk engine on mig29 is not worth moreover having zhuk ae is good but again mig29 has only 6 hardpoints so in order to fully exploit the capability of aesa you need more hardpoints with different weapons with more payload capability because some weapons are heavier that the hardpoints are not designed to carry those weapons

and to fire 4 air to ground PGM/STANDOFF weapon with 2 air to air missiles or say 6 air to air missiles because mig29 can't carry more than this at a time and zhuk me serves this purpose very well

on rafale,f18,typhoon they have more hardpoints to carry more weapons at a time so aesa is desired option.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

There is (was) a nice article on the AESA (posted a a few years ago in MRCA technical thread). The AESA can be used for more things than a normal radar, specially networking. I am not advocating that the 29 get AESA, but there could be other reasons why it should get it. ??????????
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

that is some neat cockpit we got.

Baldev
BRFite

Post by Baldev »

NRao wrote:There is (was) a nice article on the AESA (posted a a few years ago in MRCA technical thread). The AESA can be used for more things than a normal radar, specially networking. I am not advocating that the 29 get AESA, but there could be other reasons why it should get it. ??????????
aesa radar and rd33mk have long life but mig29 won't last that long so where they will throw the radar and engines when airframe is worn-out n the thats wastage of money
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Baldev ji,

I suspect you know a lot more than me on that aspect. However, not to belabor the point, since the AESA can perform a lot more than a normal radar, even with a shorter usage time, would it not contribute to the over all picture? An AESA has a humongous bandwidth - as a network carrier. I would imagine it could be used to transmit real-time pictures and other info to other planes or the ground (it has been used to show ground forces what lies ahead - in real-time).

It has been used to locate IDEs, for intel purposes, to break into computer networks.

Point being, even if the life is an issue, it certainly seems to have greater value than a normal radar.

The ONLY issue I can think of is that the Russians have no experience with most of these uses (outside of the US no one really is mature). Not a knock on them, just an observation.
Baldev
BRFite

Post by Baldev »

NRao wrote:Baldev ji,

I suspect you know a lot more than me on that aspect. However, not to belabor the point, since the AESA can perform a lot more than a normal radar, even with a shorter usage time, would it not contribute to the over all picture? An AESA has a humongous bandwidth - as a network carrier. I would imagine it could be used to transmit real-time pictures and other info to other planes or the ground (it has been used to show ground forces what lies ahead - in real-time).

It has been used to locate IDEs, for intel purposes, to break into computer networks.

Point being, even if the life is an issue, it certainly seems to have greater value than a normal radar.

The ONLY issue I can think of is that the Russians have no experience with most of these uses (outside of the US no one really is mature). Not a knock on them, just an observation.
there is no doubt aesa has its own merits but there are already specialized external pods for the tasks mentioned above can be fitted to any aircraft.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Singha wrote:that viper has the biggest fangs I ever seen....almost like walrus tusks.
Gaboon vipers do have the biggest fangs of any snakes. So the patch is fine with those massive fangs..really nasty looking one they've depicted there..love the name too.."Veiled Vipers"..you don't want to take that veil off :D
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Looking at the induction images at Tarmak blog, I could not see the IFr probe. Is this an omission from the equipment fit or the attachment is present but will be added later later on.
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Pratyush wrote:Looking at the induction images at Tarmak blog, I could not see the IFr probe. Is this an omission from the equipment fit or the attachment is present but will be added later later on.
It was apparently removed for the long flight from US. It will be fitted again.
SriSri
BRFite

Post by SriSri »

When will we stop seeing netas hogging the limelight? This is as disgusting as Sharad Pawar trying to be the center of attraction at a cricket award ceremony.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

dont grudge them their moment in sun. keeps them informed. also they are the ones who sign off on the file...I'd rather have a enthusiastic minister who tours and touches all the stuff than a hands-off fuzzy itivity manager type guy.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

^^^ I'd have to agree. The good minister could've chosen not to fund any of this. Group Captain Tejbir Singh has received plenty of coverage too. I'd never heard of him before but he now has 3 pages on Google 8)
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ Will these aircraft also form part of the soon-to-com SOAR squadron of the IAF/SF?
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted.
The RFI for the 9 Amphibious Aircraft sought by the Navy is available here.

Check out the annexure on page 4 for the required technical parameters. Preferred a twin/ multi turboprop with a minimum range of 800 nm, pressurised cabin, minimum service altitude of 15,000 ft, NVG capable cockpit, FLIR, SLAR, Search Radar, RWR and MAWS :

REQUEST FOR INFORMATION FOR PROCUREMENT OF NINE AMPHIBIAN AIRCRAFT
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

looking at the FLIR,SLAR. RWR, NVG, MAWS thing this cannot be just a simple patrol or parcel carrier. covert missions come to mind.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

arun wrote:X Posted.
The RFI for the 9 Amphibious Aircraft sought by the Navy is available here.

Check out the annexure on page 4 for the required technical parameters. Preferred a twin/ multi turboprop with a minimum range of 800 nm, pressurised cabin, minimum service altitude of 15,000 ft, NVG capable cockpit, FLIR, SLAR, Search Radar, RWR and MAWS :

REQUEST FOR INFORMATION FOR PROCUREMENT OF NINE AMPHIBIAN AIRCRAFT
X Posted.

A comparison of the amphibian’s on the market namely the Shinmaywa US2, Bombardier CL-415 and the Beriev Be 200

Amphibians Around The World

More on them here:

Shinmaywa US-2 : US-2

Bombardier 415 MP :CL-415

Beriev Be 200: Be 200

The webpage on the Dornier Seaplane aka Seastar is dead (permanently?).
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I got a video of the Beriev Be 212 bombing Yelahanka with water in 2007. Note that this video was taken from the ADVA- the public Air Display Viewing area.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwcLHw-ZRLc
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

tarmak007.blogspot.com has some good pictures of various aircrafts participating in AI-11.

Found this pic of two IJTs, one in IAF grey. Looks cool! Click of higher res images.

Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

self deleted
Last edited by Bala Vignesh on 07 Feb 2011 01:12, edited 1 time in total.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

^^ Sir, the same pic has been posted in the Aero India thread... And they look mighty good...
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

Why do we need so many firangis for C-130J induction?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/usembassyn ... 421111680/
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

arun wrote:[quote="arun"A comparison of the amphibian’s on the market namely the Shinmaywa US2, Bombardier CL-415 and the Beriev Be 200

Amphibians Around The World
Nice table , US2 and CL-415 seems to use turboprop engine and Be200 turbofan , US2 seems more capable of the lot but AFIK Japan does not export military equipment.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

abhishek_sharma wrote:Why do we need so many firangis for C-130J induction?

Just the usual Bharat Darshan and to enjoy the spicy food. :wink:

Probably for 6 months to a year they would have many goras to assist smooth transitioning of C-130J in the IAF and to take care of induction/maintenance problem/procedures .
Last edited by Austin on 07 Feb 2011 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
sourab_c
BRFite

Post by sourab_c »

abhishek_sharma wrote:Why do we need so many firangis for C-130J induction?

I would assume they are part of the maintenance crew that will be stationed in India to look after the planes.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ The first breach( of the Indian market) is always important and maximum Amriki guests must have been present to try to take credit.

Anyways, from now, the trickle of American goodies will turn into a flood ( M777, C-17s, attack helo etc) and will not make much news. So, milk it while it is fresh.