Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP): Dec. 28, 2010

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Re: Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP): Dec. 28, 2

Post by abhishek_sharma »

HT Editorial
Nuked if you don't

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Nuked-if- ... 59696.aspx
If you soon see Jamaat-ud-Dawah leader Hafiz Saeed come out in a merry mood from a house at an undisclosed location in Pakistan, chances are that he's just left a nice little party hosted by Abdul Qadeer Khan. Mr Khan, if you recall, is the Pakistani nuclear scientist credited with the tag of being the 'father of Pakistan's nuclear programme'. Yes, that's right. He's the same AQ Khan who was placed under house arrest after he confessed to selling nuclear weapons technology to Iran, Libya and North Korea and was 'released' in February 2009 and declared a 'free citizen'.

Well, another 'free citizen' who was placed under house arrest by Pakistani authorities twice to be released twice is Mr Saeed, the 'amir' of JuD. Considering that the man alleged to have close ties with the Lashkar-e-Tayyeba (he himself denies this) and involved in the 26/11 terrorist attacks in Mumbai addressed a JuD rally in Pakistan on Sunday stating that jihad should be pursued against India even if it means "nuclear war", one could surmise that there's a possibility of a demand-supply friendship involving matter 'nuclear' blooming.

The rally, marking Kashmir Solidarity Day, was curious in that subjects such as war, let along 'nuking India', don't usually come up in gatherings organised by charity organisations, something that Mr Saeed's JuD insists it is. Of course, with secretary-level talks between Indian and Pakistani authorities having taken place in Bhutan on the sides of the South Asian Association for Redundant Cooperation, all this bluster from Mr Saeed is plain bluster. Pakistani and Indian government officials can have a nice laugh over all this 'drop a nuke in India if India doesn't quit Kashmir' spiel. So long as Messrs Khan and Saeed are not seen shifting their post-house arrest house parties to a facility that is glowing in the dark near Rawalpindi.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Gus wrote:I think he meant in a "burundi too" kinda way.
That was the last place I expected too. Pakistan is truly a Multinational Corporation.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

CBC & Discovery made this documentary on the photochor some time back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iby6Z1tvzpI
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

abhishek_sharma wrote:HT Editorial
Nuked if you don't

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Nuked-if- ... 59696.aspx
If you soon see Jamaat-ud-Dawah leader Hafiz Saeed come out in a merry mood from a house at an undisclosed location in Pakistan, chances are that he's just left a nice little party hosted by Abdul Qadeer Khan. Mr Khan, if you recall, is the Pakistani nuclear scientist credited with the tag of being the 'father of Pakistan's nuclear programme'. Yes, that's right. He's the same AQ Khan who was placed under house arrest after he confessed to selling nuclear weapons technology to Iran, Libya and North Korea and was 'released' in February 2009 and declared a 'free citizen'.

Rudradev and hnair this meeting of minds needs a cartoon.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

SSridhar wrote: CRamS, I believe that the Chanakianness comes from a different angle. It is to tell those Indians who still want Pakistan to be punished for 26/11, that there is an equally Indian bunch of terrorists and the two acts have evened out. In fact, the argument may even be that 26/11 was a reprisal for the Samjhota incident. And, the frequent reference to Hindu terror is to counter the 'Islamic terror'. This helps the Indian p-sec parties in elections and their international masters to demonstrate their even-handedness to the Muslim ummah and retrieve the lost image. India is a willing scapegoat. In this region, the Americans have almost always tried to gain at Indian expense. It is the first thing that crosses their mind, it seems.

You may think I am becoming paranoid. But, these are all attempts by the sole remaining but fading-fast superpower to tell Indians that "You guys are as bad as the Pakistanis; then, why are you standing on a moral high ground and demanding justice for 26/11 before starting the talks and settling the issues ? You both are equal in all respects". The Americans are throwing everything at India and Pakistan to normalize the relations for their immediate gains.
Well the Pakis have started using this argument:

DT Editorial

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.as ... 2011_pg3_1
However, it has now come to light that the bombing was the work of Hindu extremist Swami Aseemanand, a leader of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), who confessed to this and other terror activities. This revelation has put Pakistan and India on a somewhat even keel morally, with both suffering the same problems and looking for the same solutions. Cross-border terrorism cannot be ruled out, as extremists do not care about borders. It is probably this realisation, amongst other factors, that has brought India back to the negotiation table.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

So now Davis 'victims' are on ISI payroll? Didn't we predict that here/
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

BRF is always ahead of the curve ( as usual) !!
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

abhishek_sharma wrote: Well the Pakis have started using this argument:

DT Editorial

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.as ... 2011_pg3_1
However, it has now come to light that the bombing was the work of Hindu extremist Swami Aseemanand, a leader of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), who confessed to this and other terror activities. This revelation has put Pakistan and India on a somewhat even keel morally, with both suffering the same problems and looking for the same solutions. Cross-border terrorism cannot be ruled out, as extremists do not care about borders. It is probably this realisation, amongst other factors, that has brought India back to the negotiation table.
Wah Wah! So the congress has handed the pakis the ultimate equal-equal argument. I used to think SeS was an own goal by a blundering man who was unfortunately our PM. I won't call the "Hindu terror" nonsense an "own goal". After all it's not an own goal if you are playing for the other team. :evil:
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

nachiket wrote:I used to think SeS was an own goal by a blundering man who was unfortunately our PM.
Ohh. . . why are just singling out SeS only ? Then, what about Cuba, Yekaterinburg, Thimphu etc ? Mr. Man Mohan Singh is under a false impression that the US is somehow on the Indian side, the two are forcing Pakistan to change its behaviour, it is only a matter of time before that happens and India would be saved from terrorism as well as a nuclear attack without firing a single shot etc. Certain actions by the US might have reinforced such a conclusion. For example, the dehyphenation by Pres. Bush, the nuclear deal that again delinked the strategic parity between India and Pakistan and elevated us to another level etc. One thing that we should not forget is that the strategic parity was created by the US in the first place for their interests and they also decided to remove it for the same interests. So, designing and executing the plan as to how to deal with Pakistan to protect Indian security, sovereignty and other interests, will have to be done by India and India alone. However, it seems that now we are being dictated to by the US as we are labouring under false impressions.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

http://www.thenews.com.pk/NewsDetail.aspx?ID=10806

US suspends 'all high-level dialogue' with Pakistan
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Pakistan's Ambassador to the US Husain Haqqani has also been summoned twice to the White House for formal complaints and demands that Pakistan recognize Davis's diplomatic immunity and release him immediately."
So now Paki ambassadors are summoned to white house instead of State Dept. What was it, Mr. O personally complaining to Paki ambassador.
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

Hope this is not already posted:
Daughter of Salman Tasser tweets:
Sorry matey but Kashmir has been part of India for hundreds of years!! I should know I'm from Kashmir- Indian Kashmir!
And its about time we showed Pakistanis the real map of #Pakistan, without penning in #Kashmir which has never been part of the country.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Remember the US based paki TV exec who beheaded his wife in 2009 when she tried to divorce him? Jury found him guilty today!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12388540
He's looking at 25 years to life in prison when the sentencing is carried out on March 9th.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I guess he is getting of lightly after beheading her.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

US piles up pressure on Pakistan - Anita Joshua in The Hindu
The U.S. State Department is learnt to have snapped all communication with Pakistan's embassy in Washington and this was followed up with a telephone call from Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to President Asif Ali Zardari over the weekend asking Islamabad to comply with its obligations under the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations. The same message was conveyed to Mr. Zardari by U.S. Ambassador in Pakistan Cameron Munter when he called on the President here on Monday. According to the U.S. embassy spokesperson, the necessary details establishing the American — whom the U.S. has refused to name as yet but is identified as Raymond Davis in the media — as a diplomat have been communicated to the Pakistani government.

Maintaining that Davis was being illegally detained in gross violation of international law, the spokesperson said the U.S. government had notified to Islamabad on January 20, 2010, that the American diplomat was assigned to the embassy as a member of the administrative and technical staff. “Under the Vienna Convention and Pakistani domestic law, he is entitled to full criminal immunity and cannot be lawfully arrested or detained.''
anandsgh
BRFite

Post by anandsgh »

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/us-suspends- ... 751-2.html

This Raymond Davis thing is getting big and I pray for it getting even bigger!!
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

^^^

This is a new innovation in spelling technology :rotfl:

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

anandsgh wrote:This Raymond Davis thing is getting big and I pray for it getting even bigger!!
Insh'a Allah.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

^^^ Aah, the uppity state dept of umreeka getting a taste of packee perfidity now, eh? So far twas the pentagon n the spooks at Langley who knew too well about Pak. The state dept suits probably forgot the realities of pak outside their green zone in isloo n Karachi, probably. So a refresher is welcome and perhaps, overdue.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Anujan wrote:^^^

Microsoft killed the 2 Pakis? :eek: :eek:
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

^^ Soon Gubo positions will be taken by Pakis, Uncle will send few more bags of $$$'s and all will be well in the Land of Pak.
This is just a bargaining tool to get more $$'s thrown Paki way and to show unkill, how hard it is to reign in mango Abdul without F-16's, submarines and some concession on Kashmir.
"Redmond" was safe the moment he was arrested by Paki Police.

You think Paki Fauj and politicians will stand upto Unkill ?
anandsgh
BRFite

Post by anandsgh »

anandsgh wrote:http://ibnlive.in.com/news/us-suspends- ... 751-2.html

This Raymond Davis thing is getting big and I pray for it getting even bigger!!

http://www.dawn.com/2011/02/08/us-postp ... freed.html

Same News, Dawn's link.

Meanwhile somewhere in Lala Land!!

http://www.dawn.com/2011/02/08/ied-blas ... jured.html
PESHAWAR: Bomb attacks on Tuesday killed at least two Pakistani soldiers and a policeman in the country’s northwest, which is in the grip of a Taliban and Al-Qaeda-linked insurgency, officials said.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

sum wrote:Microsoft killed the 2 Pakis? :eek: :eek:
I was afraid it was the Raymond suits, that the Pakistanis imported from India. Thanks for the clarification, that Bill Gates was the one who got rid of the Pakis. They probably had found too much about the Windows 7 code, Pakistan being an IT superpower et al.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

It is this bravado that killed the two Pakistanis
Further complicating the situation, a Pakistani intelligence official said that the two men Davis killed were not, as he has said, armed robbers intent on stealing money, his telephone and perhaps his car, but intelligence agents assigned to tail him. This official said the two intended to frighten Davis because he crossed a "red line" that the official did not further define.
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

SSridhar wrote:
Gus wrote:I think he meant in a "burundi too" kinda way.
That was the last place I expected too. Pakistan is truly a Multinational Corporation.
Love is universal. Needs no boundaries. Especially, packy kinda love.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Further complicating the situation, a Pakistani intelligence official said that the two men Davis killed were not, as he has said, armed robbers intent on stealing money, his telephone and perhaps his car, but intelligence agents assigned to tail him.
BRF had unanimously predicted this within 5 minutes of the news hitting this forum!!
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

Anujan wrote:^^^

They mis-spelled "Affia Siddiqi" as well. Its a packy thingy. By the way, its time for the packy foreign office to declare her a "roving diplomat extraordinaire" and get her released on "Vienna Convention" rationale.
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

RajeshA wrote:
sum wrote:Microsoft killed the 2 Pakis? :eek: :eek:
I was afraid it was the Raymond suits, that the Pakistanis imported from India.
Or, Raymond Opticians. Someone in that delusional nation needs glasses.
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

US needs to show progress on Pakistan aid
Need to show how the bhikaris are using the billions. On a personal level, I want to know where my tax Dollars are going, and why.
The US has failed to show progress from billions of dollars in aid given to Pakistan over the past few years to help the country with basic needs like electricity, health care and education, said an inspector general’s report.
The finding comes as some in the US have questioned the wisdom of lavishing Pakistan with military and civilian aid given the government’s reluctance to target militants based on its territory who regularly attack American troops in Afghanistan.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Pak-American quotes Gandhi, says he's victim of 'psychological rape'
Pakistani-American television executive was found guilty by a court here of killing and beheading his wife in 2009 and faces up to 25 years in prison.

Hassan, who opened a TV station with his wife to dispel negative perceptions about Muslims after 9/11, chose to defend himself during the trial.

He said that he stands against this gender-biased model of "false beliefs" -- the way Gandhi stood against colonialism, the way former US President Ronald Reagan stood against communism and the way former South African President Nelson Mandela stood against apartheid, the local paper reported
Only a Paki is capable of this, saying Beheading, Ghandian is one and as usual False Belief i.e "Gaire Kanoon" is responsible.
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

It is fairly obvious to me that Raymond James will be released if the US disposes off the lawsuit against Kayani and co.

I am concerned that the US might buckle.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Looks like we on BRF were reasonably accurate in our assessment of the Davis incident so far. Can't find the bloody post. I'm fairly certain that speculation will turn out to be even more accurate as the days go by :D

Ah, here it is :

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... s#p1021731
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Irfan Hussein on Pak's search for security,rather insecurity through US military aid.Very relevant piece in the context of the Egyptian uprising and inevitable fate of US puppet regimes.
In Pakistan, had we not been encouraged to seek the chimera of parity with India on the strength of our American tanks and jet fighters, we would have had to make the difficult compromises dictated by our modest means. The reason we entered military pacts with the US was precisely to arm ourselves to be able to confront a much bigger neighbour. But these alliances also warped our foreign policy, reduced our room to manoeuvre, and locked us into conflicts that had little to do with us.
http://www.dawn.com/2011/02/05/us-aid-a ... urity.html

US aid and the search for security
AS Egypt teeters on the brink, Israel is bracing for the possibility of a hostile neighbour across the Sinai after decades of peace. These growing concerns, despite possessing the best-armed and best-trained military machine in the region, underlines the existential threat Israel continues to face.

Thousands of miles away, Pakistan is also an embattled state, with home-grown and external foes posing a real danger to its survival. Both have several things in common. Created on the basis of religion — and as homelands for followers of Islam and Judaism respectively — within a few months of each other, both have received billions of dollars from the United States in military and economic assistance.

Despite this steroid boost for their armed services, both states are perpetually fearful of external and internal threats. In Israel’s case, after having repeatedly defeated its neighbours, it still faces resistance from non-state foes like Hamas and Hezbollah. Externally, it worries about Iran’s nuclear programme, and now, about the possibility of a hostile post-Mubarak Egypt.

Pakistan is in a constant search for strategic parity with India, something increasingly difficult to attain as the Indian economy continues on its highly successful trajectory. We are also mired in a violent insurrection in the tribal areas, and growing terrorist violence across the country.

So the question to ask is whether US military assistance has enhanced security for the two client states. For a moment, imagine a world in which economic and military aid was not the norm. Actually, this does not require a major suspension of disbelief as the foreign aid model is a post-Second World War phenomenon when the two superpowers competed for influence, arming their respective allies across the globe.

While much of the aid programme was based on self-interest and strategic considerations, it has built up an unhealthy sense of entitlement among recipients. Thus, whenever the tap is turned off, client states go into a deep sulk as if they had been cut out of a rich uncle’s will. This was best demonstrated in the 1990s when anti-proliferation legislation in the US triggered a freeze in economic and military assistance to Pakistan.

In Israel’s case, the powerful lobby of its American supporters has ensured that the dollars never cease flowing, even though the Zionist state is now a developed state by any definition. And of course, it has received far more cash and military hardware from Washington than any other country in the world.

But what would the two regions have been like today had Israel and Pakistan not received the kind of aid they have? Clearly, they would have had to adapt their foreign policy to match their more modest means. In Israel’s case, it would have had to engage meaningfully with its neighbours, and not behave like a swaggering bully.

For instance, it might have stayed out of the Suez War in 1956, and sought accommodation instead of confrontation. In short, it would not have sought a military solution for all its border issues, but would have aimed for a negotiated settlement. It certainly would not have occupied the West Bank and Gaza.

In Pakistan, had we not been encouraged to seek the chimera of parity with India on the strength of our American tanks and jet fighters, we would have had to make the difficult compromises dictated by our modest means. The reason we entered military pacts with the US was precisely to arm ourselves to be able to confront a much bigger neighbour. But these alliances also warped our foreign policy, reduced our room to manoeuvre, and locked us into conflicts that had little to do with us.

Economic assistance, while seemingly benign, permitted Pakistan to divert its own resources to the military. Thus, it could spend foreign aid on development while it used its own scarce funds to ramp up defence spending. This state of affairs permitted the kind of massive tax evasion we see today. The ruling elites are able to spend some money on the physical infrastructure and social services without having to contribute their share to the exchequer.

In Israel, this diversion was unnecessary due to the huge amounts contributed by the Jewish diaspora. Billions of dollars poured in to pay for development. Also, the Zionist state had an educated population and decent governance, unlike Pakistan.

Clearly, there are huge differences between Israel and Pakistan, but their American connection and their constant security concerns are common factors.

In Israel’s case, it was not until the 1967 Six-Day War that it forged its present military links with Washington. Pakistan joined regional pacts like Cento and Seato in the mid-1950s. So in a sense, both countries had security concerns thrust on them before they signed up to military relationships with Washington: Israel by the combined Arab attack on its creation in 1948, and Pakistan by its brief war with India over Kashmir in the same year.

Nevertheless, the large shipments of modern American weaponry encouraged a sense of military superiority over their enemies among generals in both countries. And as these officers wielded political power in both nations, this perception influenced foreign policy towards their neighbours.

But circumstances change, as we are now seeing in Egypt, with the possibility of further turmoil in Jordan. Suddenly, the lynchpins of Israeli security are wobbling. In Pakistan’s case, the strategic shift began in the early 1990s with India’s economic reforms. A booming economy and corresponding clout in international affairs have made the concept of parity laughable. Thus, we are increasingly dependent on our nuclear arsenal to counter India’s significant edge in conventional arms.

Purely from the American perspective, the billions it has spent on its two allies have not given it the kind of leverage it would have expected. As we saw in Israel’s case recently, the government has contemptuously spurned Obama’s reasonable request that it suspend illegal construction on occupied territory. In Pakistan, even a pro-American president like Zardari has rejected — for the time being, anyway — an American proposal to hand over Raymond Davis, a security consultant accused of gunning down two alleged gunmen in Lahore recently, to the American embassy.

All in all, it is questionable whether the military relationship Washington has developed with Israel and Pakistan has served the long-term security needs of the two countries. It has certainly not furthered American interests, beyond a troubled anti-Taliban alliance on our border with Afghanistan. Time will tell if it is of enduring worth.
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

Bombs kill Pakistan soldiers, police
Pakistan — Bomb attacks on Tuesday killed three security officials and devastated NATO oil tankers in northwest Pakistan
--

Just north of Peshawar, another roadside blast struck a police van, killing one policeman in the Mithra area.
--

On the outskirts of Peshawar, a bomb planted in a NATO oil tanker exploded in a massive ball of fire, destroying 16 vehicles including three other tankers used to supply NATO forces, police said.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Ah.. the Af-Pak theatre is heating up... soon, one hopes the terminology will become Pak-Af (as was originally intended by the US), and then eventually just Pak.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

ramana wrote:I guess he is getting of lightly after beheading her.
That is the best he can get. AFAIK NY does not have capital punishment.
shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

Philip wrote:Irfan Hussein on Pak's search for security,rather insecurity through US military aid.Very relevant piece in the context of the Egyptian uprising and inevitable fate of US puppet regimes.
... But these alliances also warped our foreign policy, reduced our room to manoeuvre, and locked us into conflicts that had little to do with us.
one of things is everybody in TSP seems to think that they were dragged into this Afghanistan thingie. i would have thunk that their hookup to the afg war is a direct consequence of their creation of taliban and their continued meddling in afghanistan, no? i would imagine, it is their duty to reign in the monster they created, and if they had any honour do it without taking alms for it. this is the type of thing that you get done if even you have to eat grass.

but it is surprising, irfan hussain here and previously that writer of that 'monkey tamasha' column both think TSP was dragged into this.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

saip wrote:
ramana wrote:I guess he is getting of lightly after beheading her.
That is the best he can get. AFAIK NY does not have capital punishment.

He can still get life without parole, and for such a heinous crime of beheading most likely that's what he will get.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

SSridhar wrote:It is this bravado that killed the two Pakistanis
Further complicating the situation, a Pakistani intelligence official said that the two men Davis killed were not, as he has said, armed robbers intent on stealing money, his telephone and perhaps his car, but intelligence agents assigned to tail him. This official said the two intended to frighten Davis because he crossed a "red line" that the official did not further define.
New York Times in an December 2009 article reporting that “ Parts of the Pakistani military and intelligence services are mounting what American officials here describe as a campaign to harass American diplomats”:

Pakistan Reported to Be Harassing U.S. Diplomats

Guess a blowback had to happen to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan’s “tactically brilliant campaign” of intimidating US diplomats.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I think TSPA is managing/diverting the anger of the street TSP denizens (kabila dwellers) towards US instead of the regime itself. A kabila tactic and US is falling for this.