LCH and other Helicopters Discussion Thread

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Re: LCH and other Helicopters Discussion Thread

Post by Kartik »

Hari Nair sir said that the ATGM decision has not yet been taken. So it could well be a Hellfire, Helina or PARS-3
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Perhaps HAL should ask the americans to buy the WSI Dhruv, suitably modified to US's tastes and compatible with their systems.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Gagan on 08 Feb 2011 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
Pratik_S
BRFite

Post by Pratik_S »

Singha wrote:flying darth vader anyone?

they could take the "Predator" logo for the TD2. http://cache.telepisodes.com/wp-content ... dators.jpg
My suggestion, RAJINIKANTH. :lol:
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

The concept of a weaponized helo which can carry soldiers is I think to:
1. In a distant battle field, send in the goonda first to bomb the crap out of the entrenched enemy, and the soldiers join in later to mop up
2. The soldiers do the main work and the goonda does the sniper work from the air.

Won't the Dhruv WSI, being a light helo be much more maneuverable than the Black Hawk?
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

So the changes on the LCH as explained by Dr. Prasad Sampath or RWRDC, HAL

Last edited by Kartik on 08 Feb 2011 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

Watch out for:

1225 – 1300 hrs (Running behind schedule by 30 min approx)
Mr. KS Vara Prasad
Project Director, DRDL, DRDO
“HELINA Long Range Air-To-Ground Missile for attack Helicopters

http://aeroindialive.nic.in/show_live.a ... &id_part=7
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

guys, HELINA seminar on right now.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

damn ! the entire session ended but he didn't mention when HELINA will enter service !
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Kartik wrote:So the changes on the LCH as explained by Dr. Prasad Sampath or RWRDC, HAL

I missed this talk. Any important info in this talk kartik?
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

He said that flight tests had been conducted. Wasn't sure if it was for the launcher alone or the missile itself.

PS: Is there any way we can get a hold of that ppt file? Lots of information in it.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

wonderful discussion on HELINA all of the material he presented can be taken as it is edited and be made into glossy LM type brochures. Btw, he said the captive flight trials are over, the missile anyways is tested so HELINA should be coming on stream in a year or so, sad no good questions asked. The one question that the guy asked was already there at the start of the presentation. Could have utilised it better.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

LCH TD2 in camo... :twisted:

LiveFist: AERO INDIA: Light Combat Helicopter 2nd Prototype In Camo

I guess this is what Hari Nair was referring to when he talked about looking out for changes in the paint scheme, and there I was trying to figure out what the significance of the yellow primer and gray panels in the earlier photo was :rotfl:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

it instantly reminded of the 80s novel by craig thomas "snow falcon" about a soviet plot to invade finland and scandinavia.

http://recycledbookcompany.com/images/A ... Falcon.jpg

the camo sends a message that this bird is meant for service in the himalayas... :twisted:
Hari Nair
BRFite

Post by Hari Nair »

Some spectacular pics there by Rahul Devnath! Very well done!!
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

putnanja wrote:
Kartik wrote:So the changes on the LCH as explained by Dr. Prasad Sampath or RWRDC, HAL

I missed this talk. Any important info in this talk kartik?
Well, it was informative. some of the points he made

- explained why the landing gear choice was made with 1 tail wheel. I just began at that point, so I didn't get what he said there
-The changes on TD-2 are mainly due to drag being higher during test flights. So, new wing stub has been designed and is currently in production. landing gear fairing is provided, both near front and rear compared to the earlier TD-1 which had no such fairing. Only for drag reduction, no structural strengthening done.
- Structural differences between ALH and LCH wherein the LCH has been built with Al frame and metal sandwich composite panels
- new push-pull wire systems in place of push-pull rods to reduce weight and improve maintainability. Very modern system
- stubs can be removed if required, since they are attached via 4 bolts to the fuselage but no reason to do so
- Test pilots have very highly praised the LCH's performance, and said that it is even more stable than the ALH
- Designed for high crashworthiness requirements, which has driven landing gear design. Far more so than ALH, which means even the WSI ALH will not be as crashworthy as the LCH, which has crashworthy seats as well
- No mention of what weapons it will carry
- Anti-vibration system is not installed on LCH due to space constraints. As a result, it has been built much stiffer to cause lower vibration
- 300 kg weight reduction on TD-2 as compared to TD-1

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Hari Nair wrote:Some spectacular pics there by Rahul Devnath! Very well done!!
Hari Nair sir, please correct me if I'm wrong in my post above. And also please please add more details ! :)
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Singha wrote:it instantly reminded of the 80s novel by craig thomas "snow falcon" about a soviet plot to invade finland and scandinavia.

http://recycledbookcompany.com/images/A ... Falcon.jpg

the camo sends a message that this bird is meant for service in the himalayas... :twisted:
On the contrary, to me it appeared like it had green foreground and grayish green background to allow it to blend with the kind of foliage one sees in our arid regions..parked on the ground with that camo it will be difficult to spot from a height. Also may help it to merge with tree top foliage when approaching enemy at tree top levels. :twisted:
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Hari Nair Sir, one question remains unanswered- why not use AI-11 to give the LCH a buzz by giving it a name as well !?
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Dr.Sampath Prasad also stated that there was no collaboration whatsoever unlike ALH and LCH is entirely our development effort. In the last slide he said it would take atleast 650hrs of testing. He also said LUH metal cutting is underway and IMRH will being in 2012. Overall, I think HAL has matured a lot as a helicopter designer/manufacturer. Dr.Prasad also talked about how the jigs were available as soon as the drawings were completed, sign of maturity in handling production process, something they didnt do for tejas.
I think HAL will now bid for the hawk class AJT and very confidently deliver in three years owing to the lessons learnt from IJT design.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

LCH td-2 pics on livefist.what a menacing camo, it looks ready already eventhough it is a td
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

first time application of digital camo on any Indian aircraft. looks awesome !
manish.rastogi
BRFite

Post by manish.rastogi »

LCH TD-2 looks like a fiery beast....awesoome camo!!:twisted evil:
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

Livefist
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

^ Should I call that as Snow Leopard or Snow Iguanas ? Beautiful!

Fit very much to its profile as hill rider.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Check tarmak007 blog post for some nice LCH photos
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Wow! Just Wow! It seems we SDREs are also adapting to the TFTA way of looking badass! :twisted:
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

@Hari Nair Sir & the other boffins who worked on this, Thank you very much indeed !!

A long pending wish fulfilled.. and how !!! :D

(http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... mo#p931975)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

"Bars" snow leopard or "Pantsyr" (panther I hope in russian) - :rotfl:
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Cross-posting from AeroIndia2011 thread:

Okay first to go.. talk on LCH by Prasad Sampath, HAL.. SOme things are already known - I have highlighted in bold which ever parts I felt were new or important..

LCH: (Prasad Sampath, HAL)

LUH in metal cutting
2011-1012 - start of IMRH

Post-Kargil analysis led to ASR for LCH. Sanctioned Oct2006
Initial design featured nose landing wheel.. later moved to tail landing wheel due to the crashworthiness requirements. Nose-landing wheel may effect cockpit during crash landing

TD3 is planned later to include suggested improvements from flight testing of TD1, TD2
Roles - Defense against UAV's, offensive support to ground troops, rescue, other offensive roles
High manueovaribility, high survivability, low vulnerability, higher degree of crashowrthiness, Night & day operations, high reliability built in through desing

IDAS, hingeless main rotor, bearign less tail rotor, ARIS -- common from ALH
LCH doesnt have the other active vibration control because of space requirements.. so structure built with slight weight penalty to withstand higher vibration
Shakthi engine (Shakthi lifts 200kg at 6km alt on ALH)

Survivability:
IR suppressors for Engine IR
Dual engines, Dual - hydraulics
NBC
pressurized cockpit (not in ALH)
flat panles to reduce glint

Weapons:
AA, Rockets, AG, Datalink, Turret guns

Makes a confident & sweeping statement "LCH the most agile helo in the world today" ;-)
move from Push-pull rods to push-pull cables to reduce weight, improve maintainence.
MLG, TLG tested for crashworthiness

We have had to reduce about 350kgs from initial estimates which we did fairly successfully

Modifications based on TD1 flight tests:(for drag reduction, flight performance)
Optimization of cowling scopps
MLG fairing
modified armament boom --> new design more of a wing (boom with an airfoil shape). Booms are removable.
TLG fairing
Tail end plates removed (were giving more horizontal stability than required.. so removed to reduce drag)

Completed 65flights covering 35hrs
AFCS turned on - the LCH was more stable than ALH even without AFCS. Pilots were extremely impressed with the stability. The AFCS was similar to ALH - we only needed very minor tweaks for gains during roll as LCH has lower roll inertia compared to ALH.

TD2 paining will be a huge surprise.. It is very fancy painting that I would love for you all to see. This kind of painting is not done anywhere in the world.

Also in pipeline is the indigenous development of IDAS, AFCS
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Some screenshots compiled into one image

naved
BRFite -Trainee

Post by naved »

another one of the Camo'ed LCH

naved
BRFite -Trainee

Post by naved »

and yet another one.. sorry about that, will get much better ones tommorrow...

naved
BRFite -Trainee

Post by naved »

While The camo'ed prototype will only be a static display this Aero India, here's the tiger in the air...

sumshyam
BRFite

Post by sumshyam »

Any design changes for second prototype of LCH... :twisted: :twisted:
Hari Nair
BRFite

Post by Hari Nair »

Kartik wrote:please correct me if I'm wrong in my post above. And also please please add more details ! :)

Well, Kartik, rakall has covered it all very comprehensively in his post!
The important point to remember is that the LCH is purpose built for the combat role, whereas the WSI-ALH is a multirole helicopter. When a platform is purpose built for combat, there is inevitably a higher degree of system optimisation for the role.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

WRT,

The TD 2 Cameo, Damm you HAl for not doing the SDRE color scheme. Now what will I critique the machine for. :((
saje
BRFite -Trainee

Post by saje »

Singha wrote:"Bars" snow leopard or "Pantsyr" (panther I hope in russian) - :rotfl:
Why not go with "BAAGH" -- tiger in hindi? BAAGH can also stand for "Bharatiya All-purpose Attack Gunship Helicopter" :lol: Enemies of the LCH will then say "Jab dikhe BAAGH tho bus Bhaag!!"
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

sajeji,
That's actually a good suggestion... What with it also being an acronym...
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

rakall wrote:Cross-posting from AeroIndia2011 thread:
---
LCH: (Prasad Sampath, HAL)
---
Post-Kargil analysis led to ASR for LCH. Sanctioned Oct2006
---
I don't understand this. From the BR record of the Kargil conflict, helicopter operations were limited due to the threat from man-portable SAMs. How does the LCH mitigate this issue?
BR: The Mirage 2000 in Kargil wrote:The IAF were limited in what they could use at such a demanding altitude. Attack helicopters were initially preferred with Mil-17’s being employed. However due to the abundance of man portable SAM’s, such as the Stingers, their effective operation was not possible due to the hostile flying environment. Therefore the IAF decided after experience that high altitude bombing by fighter aircraft and in particular the Mirage 2000, was the best option.
Sorry if this is a newbie question.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Pratik, even more important was the lack of power of our attack choppers, i.e the hinds in high altitude area. if you want you can go through the air power section here to understand the constraint that imposes.

even though kargil et al was ideal deployment area for MANPADS (hot target against clear sky) IAF Mi-17's did operate there with certain precautions and there were no casualties after they started using flares. the LCH is expected to have that and even more advanced counter measures like the DIRCM.