Justice for Late Wg Cdr Vikas Jetly

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
sathyaC
BRFite

Justice for Late Wg Cdr Vikas Jetly

Post by sathyaC »

To: Indian Defence Minister A.K. Antony

Wing Cdr Vikas Jetly was a daredevil Indian Air Force (IAF) pilot, who was picked up for the elite Sarang Helicopter Display Team in 2003 during its formation. Since then, he became an integral part of the team mesmerizing aviation aficionados world over with his aerobatic skills, flying the Dhruv chopper. He was fondly called as Jets and stood apart from the rest purely for the care he gave for his juniors in the team. Sadly the fate had different plans and on February 2, 2007, just couple of days before the Aero Indian 2007, Jets’ Dhruv crashed at Yehalanka AF Station in Bangalore killing the co-pilot Sqn Ldr Priye Sharma. Jets had severe head injuries and was admitted to the Command Hospital in Bangalore. He had slipped into a coma due to the impact of the crash and never came out of this. His doctors said that, though in coma, he bravely fought every injury one after the other. In June 2010, Jets was air-lifted to the AF Hospital in Hindon, New Delhi and on January 11, 2011 the brave-heart breathed his last due to a suspected pneumonia. He was 43 years old and is survived by wife Shalini (40), two young children Sukrit (12), Tanisha (8) and his aged parents Om Prakash Jetly (75) and mother Prem Jetly (65). Jets was invalidated (retired) from the rolls of IAF on the afternoon of January 6, 2010. However, his family members never got the end-of-Service benefits from the IAF till now, barring his provident fund (PF) and a portion of his insurance. There is no intimation yet on his pension, gratuity, leave encashment, pending salary and part of insurance payments. His wife Shalini has been running from pillar to post in the last one year to get the money to support the family. She has been pleading with the IAF to give her a teaching job at The Air Force School (TAFS), Subroto Park in New Delhi, purely on compassionate grounds. Her children are studying at TAFS and as a mother she wants to be with them owing to her psychological state of affairs.
Join this national campaign to bring Justice to late Wg Cdr Vikas Jetly and his family, if you are convinced that the government must treat the families of those who sacrifice their lives for Nation with more dignity. This campaign is being initiated so that the IAF clears Jets’ dues at the earliest and gives her a teaching job at TAFS.
This petition will be sent to India’s Defence Minister Mr A.K. Antony. Let’s make a difference.

Tarmak007

Sincerely,

use this link to send the dam petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/afjet007/petition.html

moderators keep this post Alive
ASPuar
BRFite

Re: Justice for Late Wg Cdr Vikas Jetly

Post by ASPuar »

Extraordinary. The Defence Minister can show some humanity and at least approve this pathetic case.
Pratik_S
BRFite

Post by Pratik_S »

I signed the petition yesterday and I was shocked to see that I was only the 550th or so person to sign it. People are requested to signing this petition and post it on their blog, social networking profiles, etc.
Raghavendra
BRFite

Post by Raghavendra »

Signed,
number 610
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

From tarmak007.blogspot.com ...

Update # 13: Only lip service; Jetly's family yet to get justice!

Here's what an IAF official wrote to Tarmak007, when asked why there's still a delay in getting justice to Jetly family. "I am told her case is under progress. While on it, there are a few things that need to be understood. She was offered a job as warden in Air Force Bal Bharti School where she could avail of accommodation and also have her children transferred for convenience, among other things. She turned it down and insists for a teaching job in The Air Force School only. She is a Home Science graduate, over 40 years and with no experience in teaching at school. She has only college teaching experience but as per the guidelines of the government her qualifications/age do not conform to the requirements for a fresh appointment of a new teacher. The AF is also considering seeking a special waiver for her from the Govt. Yet there is one problem. There is a vacancy for only one Home Science teacher and there is already someone serving for years. The teacher serving cannot be removed to accommodate Mrs Jetly. The administration is trying to figure out a workable way. While all sympathies exist for the family, some things do not find easy solution every which way the family wants. And rightly, as the minister wrote, things are being actually looked into," the official said.
Family members now confirm to Tamak007 that the Shalini Jetly is now planning to meet the wife of India's Air Chief through the Air Force Wives' Welfare Association.
It is indeed really sad that the widow of IAF's promising and ace stunt pilot is put to so much of difficulties by the administration. While it is great to see India's defense minister Antony has written to the family, what really needs to be seen is whether a solution would emerge without delay.
If not, it will be a major embarrassment to IAF, Ministry of Defense and other officials during the upcoming Aero India.
Not to be a hard ass here, but it looks like Mrs Jetley is hell bent on home science teacher position only. The IAF has offered her alternatives based on her experience and qualifications. And she should consider that. To say that the IAF/GoI is neglecting her is wrong. THe IAF is offering her warden position, along with accomodation for her at the Bal Bharathi school.

BTW, the pension has been cleared and released according to tarmak site

Update # 11: Jetly's pension papers finally move, but...
Late Wg Cdr Vikas Jetly's pension papers have finally moved. This after over one year of his retirement from the Indian Air Force (IAF). Family sources tell Tarmak007 that the Pension Pay Order (PPO) number has been released to the bank, signalling that the much-awaited pension will sooner or later start coming. It will take some more time before the family starts receiving the pension.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

I agree

i find the job criticism a little unfair on the IAF

If she has been offered an alternate job then you cannot blame them.

The slow pension movement etc is unforgivable
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Signed
IAF should immediately offer job on Compassionate ground
Narad
BRFite

Post by Narad »

I think she was offered a job in HAL and she even obliged to it initially. Thats fair enough on part of Gov. I am not sure whether it is fair to demand a certain so and so job at a certain so and so location only. I wont say this is Injustice.

Pension delay is unpardonable though.

Edit: HAVE NOT SIGNED THE PETITION.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

The pension delay is not the fault of the IAF, rather the Indian Defence Accounts Service. And this is not an isolated case, but the Armed Forces Tribunal is flooded with cases of disabled ex servicemen being denied disability pensions and widows being refused pension simply because they misinterpret provisions. The AFT launched a scathing attack on the delay, and dilution of benefits being given to servicemen by the defence pay authorities.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

putnanja wrote: Not to be a hard ass here, but it looks like Mrs Jetley is hell bent on home science teacher position only. The IAF has offered her alternatives based on her experience and qualifications. And she should consider that. To say that the IAF/GoI is neglecting her is wrong. THe IAF is offering her warden position, along with accomodation for her at the Bal Bharathi school.
While your position is understandable, a few points:

1. A Warden position is not the same as a teaching position. It carries a significantly lower scale of pay, and is a subordinate level staff position, which, given that she was a COLLEGE teacher earlier, is a bit of an insult, and also unfair.

2. Furthermore, if she was qualified to teach college level home science, it is not possible that she is not qualified to teach school level. So this point fails.

3. If there is already a home science teacher, let another position be created. If she is above the age requirement, let it be waived. For goodness sakes that is the whole point of COMPASSIONATE grounds right? That you go over and above the normal par for the course efforts? I mean she is left as the sole breadwinner in a family with young kids. Should the IAF and the Govt of India not make good the loss she has suffered as much as they can? Instead they are carping about "government of India guidelines" on age?

4. If after a whole year after her husband has passed, all the honourable minister can say is he is looking into it, then I dont know what sort of a useless minister he is. By now had he wanted to, he could have easily ordered someone to find an alternative that doesnt demean and insult the widow, and is satisfactory to all.

5. While looking into it, the dishonourable minister was not able to convince the IDAS babus to release her husbands pension to her for years! Were it not for private support from family and friends, was the family to be left to starve? What depravity causes these otherwise mild mannered pencil pushers to turn into torturers and sadists?

Every day we are hearing about scams that stretch into the tens of thousands of crores. Yet they cannot create one position that pays a couple of tens of thousands of rupees a month for this lady, allowing her to care for her family while retaining her dignity and sense of self worth? I think thats pretty poor. Pretty poor indeed.

Really, is giving this poor woman a job that she wants SUCH A DIFFICULT THING, given the larger scheme of things? Shes not asking for very much at all.

Feel free to give me the email address of the moron who wrote that email. I think Ill just give him a piece of my mind.
Last edited by ASPuar on 09 Feb 2011 01:10, edited 2 times in total.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Regarding your #2 above, for school teacher position, one requires a B.Ed or equivalent degree along with their regular graduate degree (B.Sc, B.A etc). For college level lecturer positions, one requires a master degree, but no B.Ed. This is true in Karnataka, but I don't know at the CBSE level. So the person being qualified for college lecturer but not for school teacher isn't a far fetched notion.

Regarding #3 above, for Compassionate grounds, an existing position is always used, a new position isn't created. Earlier, compassionate grounds was allowed for all government and bank positions if the employee died at work. However, this has been largely eliminated now in many banks, though I don't know about government positions. However, it was based on open positions, and usually new positions wouldn't be created.

People are the first to say that the government has too many employees and most of them don't do any work. :) I am not in favor of creating new positions. The government instead should provide other facilities like free schooling and college in the armed forces schools and colleges for the children of servicemen killed in line of duty, and also enhance the compensation to the next of kin.

Pension issue is an unforgivable mess that the government has done. They need to streamline the processes to ensure that no defence personnel has to run pillar to post to get their pensions. And in cases where soldiers die on duty, they need to be even more sensitive and ensure the next of kin doesn't suffer.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

1. She is not asking to be a government employee, but rather an employee of the registered private charitable society which owns and runs AF Bal Bharti Schools, which is the IAFCES. Therefore govt rules for compassionate appointment do not apply to her case anyway, and all this talk of "government employees who do not do anything" becomes infructuous.

2. The point of compassionate grounds is that such requirements are relaxed, and that a position is created for the deserving candidate. Otherwise, it is just a normal recruitment. It is quite understandable that the lady wishes to at least keep her basic sense of self respect intact, and receive a position which is commensurate to her former professional status, instead of falling beneath it. The fact that she taught at the college level indicates that she certainly has the base level of knowledge required to impart the same to students.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

One must also understand that the lady needs to take care of her aged parents and aged in-laws apart from her kids. Moving to new city would definitely be difficult under these constraints.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

ASPuar wrote:1. She is not asking to be a government employee, but rather an employee of the registered private charitable society which owns and runs AF Bal Bharti Schools, which is the IAFCES. Therefore govt rules for compassionate appointment do not apply to her case anyway, and all this talk of "government employees who do not do anything" becomes infructuous.

2. The point of compassionate grounds is that such requirements are relaxed, and that a position is created for the deserving candidate. Otherwise, it is just a normal recruitment. It is quite understandable that the lady wishes to at least keep her basic sense of self respect intact, and receive a position which is commensurate to her former professional status, instead of falling beneath it. The fact that she taught at the college level indicates that she certainly has the base level of knowledge required to impart the same to students.

The points made by putnanja is correct for qualification requirements of teacher. For College lecturer Besides Post graduate degree, NET is also needed. But in case of appointment on compassionate grounds relaxation can be made on educational qualification provided Widow of the deceased Govt servant obtains the essential qualifications for the post, in this case B.Ed. ( within two years of getting job, added later)

New rules prescribes 6 5% of all direct recruit vacancies in Gr C and D to be filled on compassionate grounds. Lecturer and teachers are in Gr A and B categories so such posts in Gr B may not be on offer unless appointing authority decides so after relaxing the requirement. Not al all in Gr A post.

As for asking for society posts, it is not under rules of compassionate grounds and respective organisation may have to decide based on requirement and qualification. Perhaps here some ways could have been found. I don't know how many such cases could be thus considered, depends on casualty rate in armed forces. I think rules can be framed to provide for such welfare measures by welfare societies sponsored by Armed forces .

As for pension, two things come to immediately to mind. The officer who is supposed to clear their cases are being plain negligent and callous or the deceased govt servant's paper would be deficient and someone is required to help them out. This burden lies on officer with empathy and sympathy and not on those who are callous in their performance of duties and does his work so in letter but not in spirit. Shame on them.

I think there may be lack of camaraderie among various services within armed forces else fellow officers should have helped out.
Last edited by chaanakya on 09 Feb 2011 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

question:

X number of personnel lose their lives every year.

Is it fair to expect to the Armed forces to be able to provide a specific job in a specific area for dependents??

Then if thats the case then extend it to para militaries etc!!

I understand the emotional impact in this case (Jetley is my age so it feels horrible).

Again no arguments on the pension and other monetary beneifits
munna
BRFite
Location: Pee Arr Eff's resident Constitution Compliance Strategist (Phd, with upper hand)

Post by munna »

Surya wrote:question:

Is it fair to expect to the Armed forces to be able to provide a specific job in a specific area for dependents??Then if thats the case then extend it to para militaries etc!!

I understand the emotional impact in this case (Jetley is my age so it feels horrible).

Unequivocally yes, again yes and more yes! Armed forces make a special category of public servants whereby their service is expected to be utilized more often than not in harm's way. In case of tragic loss of comrades their families cannot be left to their own devices and government/nation owes it to them to maintain their living standards. We are not a barbaric mercantilist society where only monetizable and quantifiable "phinance" counts. We are a nation and in this case no logic or "praticality" should come in the way of sustaining the lifestyle and rehabilitation of families destroyed in acts of public service.

Money is just one component, we need to restore lifestyles and social ecosystems by providing and if needed generating jobs on compassionate grounds. The compensation package has to include job and money not either or. Period.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Surya wrote:question:
Is it fair to expect to the Armed forces to be able to provide a specific job in a specific area for dependents??
Then if thats the case then extend it to para militaries etc!!
Look, whatever can be done, should be done. In this case, for authorities to be making quibbling arguments like "she doesnt have a B,Ed so she cant teach in schools, even if she has an Msc" is silly. The whole point of a compassionate appointment is that you make some concessions.

If Mrs Jetley can be accomodated, and it can be done, it would be the best thing. Having said that, the IAFCES is not a government body, so rules relating to compasisonate appts in govt services dont apply. Nevertheless, I suspect that she and her family are scarcely being as rigid as is made out in that email exchange. I hope, and am sure that some satisfactory formula can be worked out, even if not exactly what has been requested.

I do hope it works out well for her, and prayers for her, and her family, and those of every service member who dies in the line of duty. I wish the govt would move towards making sure that such people didnt have to wait for years on end to get cruicial sustenance which is their due, because of the callous attitude of our bureaucrats.

What to speak of extending to paramilitaries etc, perhaps you are unaware, but civil govt employees have better benefits for injury on the job than armed forces personnel! If people who carp about benefits extended to armed forces personnel stop to think, would they be willing to take the stringent discipline of the army act, and the lifestyle engendered by the services, in exchange? Nine out of ten will say no! So why begrudge the services any small benefits extended to them? This callous and sadistic attitude pervades most of the MoD civil services. Even after repeated court orders, the Defence Accounts Department is denying disability pension to persons who leave the service voluntarily, in contravention of all orders. How to correct these errant persons?
P Chitkara
BRFite

Post by P Chitkara »

Why shouldn’t it be our (govt/society) moral responsibility to take care of the family of people who take care of us when they are gone on active duty? These people put their lives on line so that we may live free. Why should their families suffer because they gave away their lives while protecting us - in war or in peace.

This is not an emotional rhetoric but a very genuine question.
ManishH
BRFite
Location: Sovereign, Socialist, Secular, Democractic republic

Post by ManishH »

There are funds like Flag Day Fund and State or Kendriya Sainik Boards, but not exactly overflowing their coffers today. These are contacts for your state board ...

http://www.dgrindia.com/directorate/kbs18.html

I wouldn't be averse to paying a 3-5% surcharge on my tax as a contribution.

Not to mention law requiring all interest accrued on "frozen bank accounts" to be auto-directed to the said fund. What with all the scams running these days.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

The petition is closed to new signatures at the author's request.
Aaryan
BRFite

Post by Aaryan »

The petition is closed to new signatures at the author's request.. Thats the reply i got when i tried to sign-up the petition. Any idea what may have happened?
kittoo
BRFite

Post by kittoo »

Yeah why was the petition closed?
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

I signed it long time ... what will be the purpose of it if you don't send it. To send a petition you have to close it somewhere .... or am I missing something??