Possible Indian Military Scenarios - XII

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
k prasad
BRFite

Re: Possible Indian Military Scenarios - XII

Post by k prasad »

@Andy bhai,

He is Amerikhan after all, so we should compensate for the yankee's urge to glorify their own (a trait that is sadly very very absent in our own country).

But taking what he says in isolation, he does make a very pertinent point (whcih any observer of the MMRCA will agree is the case) that the MMRCA will and should be a stopgap buy so that the IAF can move on to a far more advanced 5th gen fighter force. Nothing wrong in what has been said so far. Whatever the origin of the 5th gen (be it US, Ru or our own), we will NEED a 5th gen force by 2025 if we wish to be capable of handling the PLAAF's numerical superiority. Plus, the MMRCA always was a stopgap to fill in the numbers. The reason it was capped at 126 and not more was indeed to get more advanced fighters by then (the expectation being that by the time the MMRCAs entered full time service, the FGFA would be 2-3 yrs away from full induction).
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

but anyway, i think this Ashley article is better discussed on the MMRCA thread. THis is after all the scenarios thread.

@Vivek sirjee!!! We need you. Next set please!

One idea... do post the expected release fo the next set after each post, so that we won't bug you more. I think its the wait that kills us jingos. If we knew that it might be some time, we'd be cool with it.
Ajit.C
BRFite

Post by Ajit.C »

Eagerly awaiting the next instalment. Rhino's in DBO, SU & Paras in Bhutan.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Waiting for Vivek's posts. Withdrawal symptoms in progress. :shock:
Aaryan
BRFite

Post by Aaryan »

Vivek sir, where are you.. hope evry thing is fine on personal and health front.. please post asap.. :) :)
Ajit.C
BRFite

Post by Ajit.C »

Vivekji waiting for the next dose desperately. In case if you have problem uploading the scenario, is it possible if you can send the scenario as word documents to one of the admins or mods and they in turn can upload on your behalf.
Last edited by Ajit.C on 08 Feb 2011 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

I THINK jamwal took the lead with his scenrio
Ajit.C
BRFite

Post by Ajit.C »

sarabpal.s wrote:I THINK jamwal took the lead with his scenrio
My understanding is that Jamwal's and Vivek's scenario are 2 completly differrent scenarios, so there is no way the Jamwal is taking off from were Vivek left.
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

Well i am talking about the pace of posting which in jamwal has a lead. :)
saje
BRFite -Trainee

Post by saje »

sarabpal.s wrote:Well i am talking about the pace of posting which in jamwal has a lead. :)
Let's think of it this way -- Jamwal is keeping us busy with his 'snacks' while Vivek prepares the main course! :rotfl:
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

saje wrote:
sarabpal.s wrote:Well i am talking about the pace of posting which in jamwal has a lead. :)
Let's think of it this way -- Jamwal is keeping us busy with his 'snacks' while Vivek prepares the main course! :rotfl:
No Jamwal's story is 12 course dinner . Canvas is yet to be realised fully.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

while i want to agree with you chaanakya sir, i am afraid it may not be so...
What's the point of fighting a conventional war after we have nuked the enemy. JMO.
Ajit.C
BRFite

Post by Ajit.C »

Vivekji, awaiting for the update patiently :(( :mrgreen: :twisted: :oops: :x
Ghatotkacha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ghatotkacha »

Vivek???!!
ovein
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ovein »

vevekji, Your writing awesome. I daily check this tread and that indeed a testament speaks the volume for me. Just that, right now its like watching a awesome movie online through a dial up connection of early days. Not that i complaining, just sharing. trying to love it that way.

Wish you well.
~Abhi
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

Ghatotkacha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ghatotkacha »

Vivek hope you were not sniped while going to grocery store :)
Come back soon.
vila
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vila »

Vivek Sir,

Last time also you left your scenario midway and vanished :-?
Aaryan
BRFite

Post by Aaryan »

Vivek sir, hope u remember that u said you are not going to take a back seat. I just hope every thing is fine and u will come back soon.. God Bless u sir.
Ghatotkacha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ghatotkacha »

Shankar and other writers can you please start to write some scenarios?
We would deeply appreciate your efforts.
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

In meantime can anyone post link to some related scenarios posted by some authors on web...
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Vivek, I hope all is well with you. You have vanished? At least drop the BRites a line saying you are fine?

De best fer ye.
vila
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vila »

Somehow I have a feeling he wont continue with this scenario anymore. Isnt it logical if he is writing book not to tell the end of the story beforehand. I will be glad if I am wrong :-)
nishu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nishu »

I too Believe that he's writing a book and he's checking his story writing skills on BR . I have not seen a single story that he completed .
Thats a very good business and marketing idea but a very bad public relations one .
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Wish he would tell us he is completing it in a book. Then we could salivate till it is published and buy it!

meanwhile Jamwal has attacked again.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

More likely he is sick or other commitments to meet.

If all he wanted to do was whet the appetite he did not have to come back after the initial start.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

nishu, he is a very busy guy and was very sick to boot. I don't see how writing almost complete stories for free on a public forum is a good marketing idea. his real life occupation feeds him well enough. he doesn't need BR for that.
Ghatotkacha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ghatotkacha »

Nishu,
Please correct me if I am wrong you belong to an age group of 10 to 19 years.
manish.rastogi
BRFite

Post by manish.rastogi »

ghatotkacha bhai why dont u continue or write your story...it was really funny and entertaining...!!!
Ghatotkacha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ghatotkacha »

Sure.

This time . I was thinking to write about an uprising or revolution against corruption/govt. in India similar to what is happening in middle east right now.
Off course, with little exaggeration and humor.
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

sorry guys - was travelling too much last two months so had to leave the papua scenario half way .
now lets do a curent scenario
evacuation of indians from Libya jointly with US fisth fleet -what say guys -starting right now
aditp
BRFite

Post by aditp »

Shankarji, pls complete the earlier scenario...
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

Libya at Risk of Civil War as International Community Aims to Isolate Muammar al-Qaddafi

increasingly violent clashes in Libya between armed anti-government rebels and forces loyal to Muammar al-Qaddafi threaten to escalate into a civil war, as the two sides battle for control of towns near the capital in the 15th day of fighting.

The intensified combat comes as a revolutionary council in Libya reportedly debates whether to ask the United Nations to execute airstrikes against pro-Qaddafi forces. The council aims to distinguish between help from the U.N. and foreign intervention, which the rebel forces oppose, according to the New York Times.

Anti-government protesters have garnered broad support from their homegrown opposition movements and fear foreign aid could work against them.

The Obama administration knows the Libyan opposition wants to be seen as “doing this by themselves on behalf of the Libyan people – that there not be outside intervention by an external force,” Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told the House Foreign Affairs Committee Tuesday.

Despite rebels’ efforts to ward off foreign aid, the international community stepped up moves Tuesday to isolate Qaddafi.

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said he ordered two ships into the Mediterranean, including the amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge, and he is sending 400 Marines to the vessel to replace some troops that left recently for Afghanistan.

With fears high that Qaddafi could wage airstrikes against his own people, the European Union and the United States have raised the possibility of a no-fly zone over Libya -- a tactic used successfully in northern Iraq and Bosnia.

But Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called the idea "superfluous" and said world powers must instead focus on fully using the sanctions the U.N. Security Council approved over the weekend. Russia is a veto-wielding member of the Security Council.

Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, meanwhile, urged Qaddafi to consider exile, saying she's worried the African nation could plummet into a "humanitarian disaster."

"It's important that he get off the stage," Rice said told CBS on "The Early Show."

Qaddafi's son, Seif al-Islam, warned Western forces not to take military action against Libya and said the country is prepared to defend itself against foreign intervention.

"If they attack us, we are ready," he told Sky News, adding that the Qaddafis are ready to implement reforms.

Facing an unprecedented challenge to his 41-year rule, Qaddafi's regime has launched the bloodiest crackdown in a wave of uprising against authoritarian rulers in the Middle East. Qaddafi has already lost control of the eastern half of the country but still holds Tripoli and other nearby cities.

An exact death toll has been difficult to obtain in the chaos, but a medical committee in the eastern city of Benghazi, where the uprising began on Feb. 15, said at least 228 people had been killed, including 30 unidentified bodies, and 1,932 wounded.

U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has cited reports that perhaps 1,000 have died in Libya.

Qaddafi's regime has retaken at least two towns and threatened a third, while rebels repulsed attacks on three other key areas -- Misrata to the east, Zawiya to the west, and the mountain town of Zintan to the south of the capital.

One of those retaken was the strategic mountain town of Gharyan, the largest in the Nafusa Mountains, which overlooks Tripoli, a resident said, speaking on condition of anonymity for fear of government retaliation. The town fell after dark Friday in a surprise attack, and the government troops detained officers who defected to the rebels and drew up lists of wanted protesters and started searching for them, the resident added.

Qaddafi supporters also have said they were in control of the city of Sabratha, west of Tripoli, which has seemed to go back and forth between the two camps in the past week.

But witnesses in Zawiya, 30 miles west of the capital, said rebels shouted "Allahu akbar (God is great) for our victory," and carried an air force colonel who had just defected after six hours of overnight gunbattles failed to dislodge anti-Qaddafi forces who control the city.

"We were worried about air raids but that did not happen," said one resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals.

The Zawiya rebels have tanks, machine guns and anti-aircraft guns. They beat back pro-Qaddafi troops, armed with the same weapons, who attacked from six directions. There was no word on casualties.

In Misrata, 125 miles east of Tripoli, pro-Qaddafi troops who control part of an air base on the city's outskirts tried to advance Monday. But they were repulsed by opposition forces, who included residents with automatic weapons and defected army units allied with them, one of the opposition fighters said.

No casualties were reported and the fighter claimed that his side had captured eight soldiers, including a senior officer.

The opposition controls most of the air base, and the fighter said dozens of anti-Qaddafi gunmen have arrived from farther east in recent days as reinforcements.

One sergeant in the Libyan army who is of Tuareg ethnicity and is fighting on Qaddafi's side said the military is divided.

"Us foreigners, we don't have much choice. We have to support Gaddafi," he said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press in Mali. "It because of him we are here."

He added that everyone who supports Qaddafi has not been watching any foreign news.

"There is nothing that's going to convince Gaddafi to quit," the soldier said. "The only way Gaddafi is going to go is if someone puts a bullet in his head, and I can't imagine that. The soldiers who are close to him would never let it happen."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/01 ... l-qaddafi/
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

IAF ready to evacuate Indians from Libya: Antony
2011-03-01 17:10:00

New Delhi, March 1 (IANS) The Indian Air Force (IAF) is ready to evacuate, if called on to do so, the Indians stranded in Libya by the violent anti-government protests in the north African country, Defence Minister A.K. Antony said Tuesday.

'The navy has sent its warships. The air force is also ready (with its aircraft). Whether it is (for) Libya or other countries, if the government wants their services, they can also be sent,' Antony told reporters on the sidelines of a defence event here.

He was responding to a question whether the defence ministry was considering deploying IAF aircraft for evacuating Indians stranded in Libya.

The IAF's heavylift IL-76 transport aircraft, which can carry about 200 passengers in a double-decker seating mode, are on standby in case the government requires their services, an officer said.

The navy had Saturday sent three ships, including the troop carrier INS Jalashwa and the destroyer INS Mysore for the evacuation operation. The ships are expected to reach Benghazi in Libya early next week. They will transport the stranded Indians to Alexandria in Egypt, from where they will be flown home on Air India aircraft.

Air India has been operating two flights a day to Tripoli since Saturday and this has seen the return of some 1,300 of the 18,000 Indians stranded in Libya after political protests seeking the ouster of Muammar Gaddafi have turned violent in the last fortnight.

India has also sought permission for Air India flights to land in interior Libya to evacuation about 1,000 Indian said to be stranded there.

Three chartered civilian vessels are also part of the evacuation effort.

Indian Navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma, at another event, said: 'Eventually, we should be pressed to evacuate (all the Indians stranded in Libya). The numbers we can carry (on our warships) is substantial. On Jalashwa, we can carry 1,500 at one go and so I see there would be enough work to be done.'

The evacuation is th biggest mounted by this country after the August 1990 Iraqi invasion of Kuwait that forced thousands of Indians in the country to flee to Jordan capital Amman, from where they were flown home on Air India aircraft.

http://www.sify.com/news/iaf-ready-to-e ... cjbaj.html
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

Two Air India flights leave to evacuate Indians from Libya

India has begun the process of evacuating its nationals stranded in troubled Libya by sending two aircraft with total capacity of 640 passengers to Tripoli besides despatching four ships.

The specially chartered Air India Boeing 747 with a capacity of 360 passengers, and an Airbus 330 with a capacity of 280, are en route to Tripoli and were to land shortly, External Affairs Ministry said in a statement here.

The aircraft will return to New Delhi after picking up passengers at Tripoli, it said.

Besides, two Naval ships – INS Jalashwa and INS Mysore – set sail from Mumbai this morning for Libya. The sailing time is about twelve days to Libya.

Another passenger ship with a capacity of 1600, presently in the Mediterranean, is being chartered today and will be pressed into service for assisting the departure of our nationals out of Libya, the statement said.

Scotia Prince, another chartered ship, is scheduled to depart for Benghazi (Libya) from Port Said (Egypt) today at 2000 hrs and is likely to arrive at its destination by the afternoon of February 28. The ship has a capacity of 1200 passengers.

The Ministry said it has positioned additional personnel at the Indian Embassy in Tripoli to help in the process.

There are around 18,000 Indians in Libya and the government is concerned about their well-being in view of the deteriorating situation in the country following a popular uprising.

INS Jalashwa is the largest available ship with the Indian Navy, which can be used for carrying out humanitarian efforts of this kind. The over 27,000 tonnes ship can carry more than 1000 passengers and has adequate medical facilities.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/navy- ... ya/755203/
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

Mideast violence spreads to home port of U.S. 5th Fleet
By NANCY YOUSSEF, WARREN P. STROBEL AND JONATHAN S. LANDAY - McClatchy Newspapers

MANAMA, Bahrain The toll of dead and injured from an overnight attack on peaceful protesters in Bahrain mounted Thursday, and with threats of new unrest in this strategic emirate, the United States faced a painful new foreign-policy dilemma in the home port of the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet.

At least four people were confirmed dead and dozens were missing after Bahraini security forces struck at the demonstrators' encampment early Thursday using tear gas, batons and live fire, according to eyewitnesses and human rights organizations.

Hundreds of police forcibly cleared Pearl Roundabout - a major junction in the capital - of the protesters, who like their brethren in Egypt, Tunisia and elsewhere were demanding political and social reforms.

Videos from the scene showed dense clouds of tear gas, protesters bloodied and screaming, and flattened white tents.

Bahraini Foreign Minister Khalid al Khalifa expressed regret for the predawn raid but said it was needed to pull the nation back from "the brink of a sectarian abyss." He alleged, without offering evidence, that weapons were found at the protest site.

Bahrain's decision to use deadly force to suppress dissent put the Obama administration in a difficult position, caught between its calls for reform across the Middle East and its support for a monarchy that's crucial to the U.S. military presence and American hopes of containing Iran.

Unlike in Egypt, the tensions in Bahrain have a sectarian edge. The country's Shiite Muslims, roughly three-quarters of the population, are politically marginalized and often derided as a fifth column for Shiite Iran.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, along with European leaders, condemned the violence against protesters.

Clinton said she had called the foreign minister "and directly conveyed our deep concerns about the actions of the security forces." Speaking after a Capitol Hill briefing for lawmakers on Egypt, she said, "Bahrain is a friend and an ally, and has been for many years. And while all governments have a responsibility to provide citizens with security and stability, we call (for) restraint."

Defense Secretary Robert Gates spoke with Bahrain's crown prince Thursday, the Pentagon said.

Clinton's words seemed relatively mild compared with President Barack Obama's denunciation of Iran earlier this week for attacks on protesters there or the White House's veiled urgings for former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak to leave office.
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/02 ... -home.html
johnny_m
BRFite

Post by johnny_m »

:evil: Good Scenario. Can IAF establish the No Fly Zone for a change :evil:
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Great to see you back
manish.rastogi
BRFite

Post by manish.rastogi »

shankar sir....really appreciate the new scenario....and lookin forward to it too....but personally speaking i would have liked a totally imagined scenario rather than current ones,these real life ones leave less to imagine both for reader and writer....while totally new ones build excitement as everyone has no idea at all what's gonna happen...
manish.rastogi
BRFite

Post by manish.rastogi »

ghatotkacha bhai...now that shankar sir is back dont you back off...yours is a diff style quite entertaining....make a new thread if you feel like it....i am sure mods won't mind!!